Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #101
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-28-2010 at 12:51 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #102
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #103
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I sense a strong disturbance in the force as though several people bitched and were suddenly silent.

On a separate note, one thing that drives me nuts is when the call is obvious, yet the entire stadium boos. At least I have my wife to the point that if a flag comes out, before she says anything she asks if it was legit before complaining.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #105
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #106
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Did I accidentally click on a political thread?

No.

Usually the political threads creatively tell people to go fuck themselves.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #107
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

IBTL
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #108
MikeVic
Head Coach

What a start to week 8 of the NFL! Can we have a halftime show between jbergey and HiFi, with special guest referee jbmagic?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #109
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
IBTL

lol, I came close to postng that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #110
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
You can squeeze in a Bud commercial and a Wrangler commercial during the replay.

Pretty sure you just hit the nail on the head.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #111
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Speaking of homers, where is MBBF?

Probably enjoying Sam Bradford in a Mizzou Jersey

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #112
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I agree.

It seems a college replay lasts less than sixty seconds and they come back with the correct call far more often than it seems the NFL does... and it takes the NFL three times as long to do it.

I see far less consistency in replay overturns in college. Not all refs seem to grasp on conclusive evidence means.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #113
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No fair, I missed the meltdown!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #114
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I see far less consistency in replay overturns in college. Not all refs seem to grasp on conclusive evidence means.

I like college replay much more than the NFL. It doesn't interrupt the game flow. In college there is a guy in the booth that makes the call on the replay, whether to overturn it or not...where as in the pros the Referee on the field makes that decision. Not sure how much that has to do with the timing aspect either.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #115
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Prepping his list of excuses for when Mizzou gets pasted by Nebraska.

You know he just magically disappears on vacation when ironically right after Mizzou loses.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #116
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

To be fair, we've been debating what a 'catch' actually is in the NFL for a decade now and it still seems no one knows. See the overturned Shiancoe TD from the Vikings-Packers game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I like college replay much more than the NFL. It doesn't interrupt the game flow. In college there is a guy in the booth that makes the call on the replay, whether to overturn it or not...where as in the pros the Referee on the field makes that decision. Not sure how much that has to do with the timing aspect either.

If I understand the process, the replay official is looking at every play as they happen and can call down if there is any doubt about the call on the field. Maybe someone can shed some more detail on the process of college replay.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I understand the process, the replay official is looking at every play as they happen and can call down if there is any doubt about the call on the field. Maybe someone can shed some more detail on the process of college replay.

The Official Athletic Site of the Atlantic Coast Conference - Football

Unlike the NFL, every play in college football is reviewed by the Replay Official in the press box. If the Replay Official believes the previous play was ruled in error and the play had a direct, competitive impact on the game, he may stop play for review by paging the officials on the field.

The only other way a play can be reviewed is if the head coach challenges the previous play. However, each team is limited to only one challenge per game, regardless of the outcome of any previous challenge. If a coach challenges a play, and the play is not reversed, the challenging team will lose a timeout.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #118
molson
General Manager

I do prefer the NFL version, at least they worked replay into the strategy of the game.

I too, though, am in the minority that could do without it. You see a play but you can't really react to it. You know that nothing really "happened" until the next stap is taken and review is precluded. I think you do lose something when as a fan, the climactic part is really that next snap, not the play before it, after which you're just waiting for a replay and red flag.

The same could happen in other sports if they overdue replay - "looks like a potentially great play but we'll have to wait for five minutes to be sure.................................................yes, it turns out it was a great play, carry on".

Of course, it's necessary to accept ref mistakes as part of the game to have this view at all. And someone made the point about not accepting mistakes in general, which I think is a good one. People who freak out on refs are probably the same people that freak out on waitresses messing up an order. It's like a sense of entitlement. .

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2010 at 10:20 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #119
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I do prefer the NFL version, at least they worked replay into the strategy of the game.

But do we want 'the right call' being subject to strategy?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I love how Favre is talking about how he's going to test his ankle and give it a shot to help his team win. As if he's going to contribute at 40% health. Childress needs to bench him now. Give him 3 weeks to try to get healed. They have awesome offensive weapons. Surely if TJack can hold onto the ball, they can win 2 of 3 with him in there.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #121
stevew
Hall Of Famer

More specifically I'm pissed off at the martyrdom he is using. As if he's going to be an effective weapon. But he's going to gut it out and hope for the best and put his career on the line.

puke
Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #122
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sport...106107663.html

Magary makes many of the same points.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

good find

I wonder if anyone has done any type of study on interceptions thrown to linebackers/dline vs ones thrown to defensive backs. I'd have to think any pick that doesn't reach the secondary is most likely extremely ill-advised. It's forgiveable to throw at Revis and make a mistake, but if you're throwing balls off the chest of AJ Hawk, you fuckin suck.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brett Favre Is A Bitch
Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #125
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder if anyone has done any type of study on interceptions thrown to linebackers/dline vs ones thrown to defensive backs. I'd have to think any pick that doesn't reach the secondary is most likely extremely ill-advised. It's forgiveable to throw at Revis and make a mistake, but if you're throwing balls off the chest of AJ Hawk, you fuckin suck.

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. I would think the benefits of throwing it at a LB would be much higher than throwing it at a highly regarded CB...no? Isn't the mistake made when you throw it Revis' way in the first place?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #126
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I'm not sure I understand your logic here. I would think the benefits of throwing it at a LB would be much higher than throwing it at a highly regarded CB...no? Isn't the mistake made when you throw it Revis' way in the first place?

I tend to think that downfield interceptions tend to serve the same purpose as a punt in most cases. Whereas, if you're getting balls picked within 10 yards of the LOS, you're either forcing the ball or making horrible reads. I think anyways.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #127
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Magary View Post
Favre wants to use the injury as an excuse when he fucks up, and then he wants the injury played up as icing to whatever futile catch-up TD he throws five minutes later. LOOK EVERYONE! IT'S A MIRACLE! HE'S STILL GOT SOME BULLETS LEFT IN THE GUN! HE'S BRAVER THAN ANNE FRANK!

LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #128
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
But do we want 'the right call' being subject to strategy?

Exacly. The NFL replay system has always been a joke for this reason. You don't implement replay for strategy, you do it to get plays right. Why force coaches to decide which calls (and how many during a game) are worth challenging - based on a quick glance at a replay by someone up in a booth telling the coach whether to challenge - rather than simply employing a replay official who sits upstairs and whose job it is to do nothing but review every play and decide whether it should be reviewed for an incorrect call?

I really don't care about the time involved. Get the calls right - that's what a replay system is for.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #129
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i wouldn't argue favre's performance on the field or his sympathy theatrics. but 90% of the backlash is a direct result of the media's obsession with all things favre.

instead of 24 hour analysis of will he or won't he(continue the streak/come back for another season/talk about his dick) how nice would it be if it was just:

eye candy sportscaster: is he coming back?
nfl insider: he says he doesn't know. which probably means yes.
eye candy sportscaster: sounds good. on to baseball-
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's like a sense of entitlement. .

Not sure how getting what you're paying for is "entitlement" but {shrug}.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They really need ESPN4, aka "the Favre".
Old 10-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #132
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ESPN6 can be dedicated to LeBron James and the Miami Heat.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #133
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Here's what no one seems to be talking about regarding Brett Favre's ankle: How is it No. 4 was able to do his running and jumping crazy-man celebration thing after he thought he threw that game-winning touchdown pass to Percy Harvin in the final seconds, but then he could barely walk up the tunnel moments later? Just sayin'.

Read more: NFL Power Rankings for Week 8 has 49ers in basement - Don Banks - SI.com

The articles on Favre made me hunt this down.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #134
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The articles on Favre made me hunt this down.

In regards to that article the answer is Epinephrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've had it happen to me where when the game was being played it was fine and two hours later I couldnt walk. Adrenaline tends to kill pain temporarily until it wears off and the pain is excruciating.

An educated reporter should have known the answer to this. Pierre Thomas hurt his ankle 4 weeks ago came back in the game and hasnt played a down since.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #135
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
My gripe with the NFL system is that it takes too long and kills the flow of the game. I don't understand why they can't just have a licensed official in the booth who can give them an answer real quick to the call instead of making the one on the field go under the hood. Especially on obvious calls.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course, it's necessary to accept ref mistakes as part of the game to have this view at all. And someone made the point about not accepting mistakes in general, which I think is a good one. People who freak out on refs are probably the same people that freak out on waitresses messing up an order. It's like a sense of entitlement. .

If I go to McDonald's and order a happy meal and the person gets the order wrong, I can accept that. If I go to a resturant and I am paying $1,000 a plate, I am less willing to accept the mistake.

Sports have become big business. I know, no newsflash there. As a result, mistakes by anyone are less likely to be forgiven. Refs are a part of that.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #137
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

In other news as expected Brett Favre is starting this week.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This slate of 1:00 games may be the worst ever. Outside of Jets-PAckers there are no games that are even decent.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #139
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This slate of 1:00 games may be the worst ever. Outside of Jets-PAckers there are no games that are even decent.

The 4:00 games aren't really that much better. Minnesota @ New England is the only one interesting, and I'm not sure either one is much more than a borderline playoff team.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The 4:00 games aren't really that much better. Minnesota @ New England is the only one interesting, and I'm not sure either one is much more than a borderline playoff team.

I think there is a little more juice. Looking forward to seeing if the Raiders carry over their success and to see if the Chargers turn it around. On a whole I agree with you, lots of really good teams on byes this week.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #141
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I guess the Vikings gave up on winning? I hear they are starting that elderly shut in again.... Way to give up on the season...
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #142
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If I go to McDonald's and order a happy meal and the person gets the order wrong, I can accept that. If I go to a resturant and I am paying $1,000 a plate, I am less willing to accept the mistake.

Sports have become big business. I know, no newsflash there. As a result, mistakes by anyone are less likely to be forgiven. Refs are a part of that.

Perfect referees are impossible though. I don't care what you're paying per plate. You think all the refs are terrible? Fire them all and bring in the guys who didn't make the cut, let's see how that goes. If they're bad too - fire them, bring in some other guys off the street. If they miss calls too - hey, maybe by now we're to message board posters and superfan weridos who would absolutely never miss a call!

And who's the highest paid player out there today? Triple his salary and I guarantee he still makes mistakes of the field. No amount of money is going rid sports of mistakes (as if that was desirable goal in the first place).

I can see fans getting a little irrational about such things if they put down $1,000+ plus on a game, but I think plenty of the weirdo ref-hate is just an expression of superfandom. I actually think the people with real money on the game - the players, team executives, etc - don't freak out like the fans do, at least after the day of the game. They understand the nature of the game better. Brad Childress didn't like some calls last week but I bet he spent zero time calling in threats to referee's homes and businesses.

Last edited by molson : 10-31-2010 at 12:25 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #143
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Geez. McNabb is getting the Cutler treatment in Detroit, on his back every play.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #144
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That's right Jags! Get that pick!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #145
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Finally a Lions game I would want to watch due to Stafford being back and it's blacked out.

Went and got it on channelsurfing though.

Last edited by Matthean : 10-31-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chiefs should never ever throw the ball on third and one.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #147
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Good job at the goaline stand Jags! Eat it Cowboys! My favorite team vs my most hated teaM!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #148
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, love it. I bet they wish that challenge wasn't overturned and they kicked the field goal.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #149
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
That's right Jags! Get that pick!
Derek Cox, w00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #150
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cox has had a monster first half. Lots of great tackles, stopped Kitna at the goaline, a pick