Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
They are acting like beating an average WVU team is worthy of tearing down the goalposts.

To their credit they have never beaten them and without looking I would say some of the losses have been pretty bad.

Stewart (sp?) has some questions to answer, in pretty much every game I have watched them they haven't looked ready to play.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #52
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the offensive coordinator and OL coach are gone at the end of the season.

I'm guessing one more regular season loss and Stewart is done. Our fans have never been entirely on board with him after the way he was hired (middle of the night after the Fiesta Bowl win, without having formally interviewed) and I think ticket sales and donations are going to start to decline if something is not done soon.

I hate it for the guy, because he is a super human being and has had some success, but we are backsliding now and I don't see it getting any better.
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #53
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
I think the offensive coordinator and OL coach are gone at the end of the season.

I'm guessing one more regular season loss and Stewart is done. Our fans have never been entirely on board with him after the way he was hired (middle of the night after the Fiesta Bowl win, without having formally interviewed) and I think ticket sales and donations are going to start to decline if something is not done soon.

I hate it for the guy, because he is a super human being and has had some success, but we are backsliding now and I don't see it getting any better.

I basically agree with this. Part of me thinks he will get another year no matter what just because the WVU athletic department hasn't fired a head coach in football or basketball in my lifetime, but the truth is that he's already lost a huge portion of the fanbase and donors, and I don't get the impression that the new AD cares for him much.

I actually have pretty mixed feelings. I'd like to keep the defensive staff together, so retaining Stew with a new OC and OL coach might be the best option, in my opinion. I say that thinking that the list of replacement candidates won't be any better than last time.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #54
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If Michigan loses tomorrow our season is probably done. I'd be willing to be next year Rich Rod is back in WVU if that happened. Call me crazy but I can see it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #55
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

EDIT: games two and three are in 2022 and 2023.

Weird....Maybe they'll be able to make the road trip telepathically. Or in a rocket car.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #56
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If Michigan loses tomorrow our season is probably done. I'd be willing to be next year Rich Rod is back in WVU if that happened. Call me crazy but I can see it.

The rumor is that RR had already asked for his job back over the summer, presumably foreseeing that he'd likely be unemployed by the end of the season. He was a college teammate and friend of the new AD. I kind of doubt that the big money donors would have him back, but if WVU keeps failing to score 20 against Big East defenses, Rod will look better and better.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #57
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...hree-game-deal

Looks like Boise as agreed to play Michigan State.

Now if only they could actually play in a competitive conference.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #58
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I hope WVU decides to fire Stewart and hires Bud Foster or someone who won't retain Casteel. Would love the reunion in Ann Arbor.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #59
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
You better hope for a TCU and Utah loss. They face each other on Nov. 6. The winner may jump Boise St.

Only way either of them jumps ahead of BSU is with a Boise State loss. Tend to agree with Rainmaker though, it is all really just for show. No way does the Good 'ol boy sport of college football allow a Boise State, TCU, Utah, etc. into it's hallowed "national championship" club.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #60
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Boise State, Michigan State sign three-game deal - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Looks like Boise as agreed to play Michigan State.

Now if only they could actually play in a competitive conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Looks like Boise State is ramping up their schedule bit by bit. Starting in 2012, they are playing Michigan State in a 3 game deal.

Michigan State will open 2012 season against Boise State

Too bad the games are so far apart, but it is at least a start for BSU to improve their SOS.

Already got it covered.....
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #61
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

I am kinda on the fence with Rich Rod as coach. I understand that it takes a complete recruiting class (i.e., 4-5 years) to really see if a completely new system is working or not. But....

Has he only recruited offensive players? I have not seen such a terrible Michigan defense in my lifetime like the one of the past 3-4 years. At the end of the day, Rodriguez is not a Michigan man and he should have never been hired in the first place. I still wish we would have hired Les Miles away from LSU, but our AD fucked that up every way possible.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #62
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I am kinda on the fence with Rich Rod as coach. I understand that it takes a complete recruiting class (i.e., 4-5 years) to really see if a completely new system is working or not. But....

Has he only recruited offensive players? I have not seen such a terrible Michigan defense in my lifetime like the one of the past 3-4 years. At the end of the day, Rodriguez is not a Michigan man and he should have never been hired in the first place. I still wish we would have hired Les Miles away from LSU, but our AD fucked that up every way possible.

As per a previous week's thread. One of, if not the most highly regarded defensive recruit for Michigan last year showed up out of shape, not able to crack the line up like Michigan had assume he would, and then he left, but family and such were trying to get him back, but to my knowledge it was all for naught.

I also think part of the problem Michigan's last class was vastly three star recruits. They had a ton of them, but if those guys don't get coached well enough it really comes across as a lackluster class. Current class ranks below the top 25 via Rivals although it was there recently. There's no excuse to be that low when you know the you are so thin talent wise. ND and Stanford are known for huge academic requirements, but yet currently sit at #8 and #9. Michigan does currently have 2 four star defensive players committed.

Last edited by Matthean : 10-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #63
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

One of my friends that works for one of our big (biggest?) booster thinks that Rich Rod will be Oliver Luck's top choice. I can't see that happening. There was just too much of a power struggle before he left with too many bridges burnt and I think season tickets and donations would really tank. Rodriguez left at the height of his bargaining position (I think we can agree his star isn't as bright as it was in '07) and I cannot see him being humble enough to come back and deal with the same restrictions (and probably a tighter leash) he rebelled so much against originally.

My gut tells me that it will be Tommy Bowden, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he can retain some of the defensive staff.

As a completely random guess, some folks think that Oliver Luck (Andrew's dad) could try to sway Jim Harbaugh away from Stanford if his son leaves for the NFL. The thought is that Harbaugh thinks it would be easier to build without the academic restrictions that Stanford has and that his relationship with our athletic director would make for a good working environment. I cannot see him leaving a Pac 10 job for a Big East job, though. He will likely have much better options available (NFL? Michigan?) if he decides to leave.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #64
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope WVU decides to fire Stewart and hires Bud Foster or someone who won't retain Casteel. Would love the reunion in Ann Arbor.

Probably not too far fetched. If Stew does get fired and someone else is brought in as head coach, Casteel could get fed up with being passed over as head coach twice and feel like he may not ever get the opportunity without moving on. I'm not sure he would be too eager to work with Rod again, though.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #65
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

As a completely random guess, some folks think that Oliver Luck (Andrew's dad) could try to sway Jim Harbaugh away from Stanford if his son leaves for the NFL. The thought is that Harbaugh thinks it would be easier to build without the academic restrictions that Stanford has and that his relationship with our athletic director would make for a good working environment. I cannot see him leaving a Pac 10 job for a Big East job, though. He will likely have much better options available (NFL? Michigan?) if he decides to leave.

I really don't see Harbaugh happening. I've heard Luck likes/knows Kevin Sumlin at Houston a few times in the past week.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #66
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A guy who has had good stuff in the past (he is close to David Brandon) said if RR gets fired it'll happen because he has his next coach locked up. Considering his relationship with Harbaugh you'd have to assume it'll be him. Honestly though tomorrow will tell the tale. You lose to a bad PSU team starting a walk on QB after a week and you're going to be gone.

Even with a win this week we need to beat the fighting Zooks next week and he should be safe (though who knows, we'll probably get cocky and lose to Purdue)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #67
tarcone
Coordinator

My guess is if Harbaugh becomes available (Like when Luck leaves for the NFL), Michigan will fire RR as quick as they can and hire Harbaugh.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
+1. Headed to Lincoln tomorrow for Saturday's game. Never been to Memorial Stadium, this is going to be quite an experience.

Have fun!!! I hope you see a W!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #69
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Have fun!!! I hope you see a W!

Everyone is underrating the Mizzou defense. I'd expect this game to be closer than the experts are predicting.

Something like 24-21 wouldnt surprise me.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Miami receivers with some alligator arms on this first drive.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #71
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jacory Harris looks to be hurt really bad. I don't think he's coming back.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #72
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Jacory Harris looks to be hurt really bad. I don't think he's coming back.

I saw the hit on the small screen on ESPN3. Was a penalty called, looked like the defender hit him under the chin with his helmet.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #73
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I saw the hit on the small screen on ESPN3. Was a penalty called, looked like the defender hit him under the chin with his helmet.

No penalty was called.

Spencer Whipple, the Offensive Coordinator's son, is in the game right now.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And is picked off in the red zone. Ugh.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Spencer Whipple is not good.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #76
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

a) I feel dirty rooting for Tennessee. Not that it'll likely help them, either.
b) Marcus Lattimore. That is a beast.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #77
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Hey, I post and they score. Maybe if I say they really have no hope, the Cocks will fumble the kick-off.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Helluva hit Jacory Harris took.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #79
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Um, wow. Miami puts in their 4th string QB, a true freshman.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #80
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It looks hopeless for Miami right now.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #81
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here's how we get to the 4th stringer

1st: Jacory Harris - murdered on the field.
2nd: AJ Highsmith - They're trying to save his redshirt so they can switch him to defense next year. AKA "he can't play QB".
3rd: Spencer Whipple - throws some very accurate passes to 8 foot tall players. Unfortunately, Miami has no such players on their roster.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #82
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

M'fing Tyler fucking Bray. I literally called that pick six about 5 seconds before the snap (when my son pointed out the QB switch for Tennessee).

For that matter, at this point, Derek fucking Dooley for putting the useless sumbitch on the field in the first place.

Kiffin, miserable excuse for a human being that he is, managed to coach up (and scheme up) Jonathan Incrompetant & for that I admit I respect his ability to identify whatever few strengths a player may have. Dooley OTOH, fuck me running, the amount that he's in over his head because clearer with each week that goes by. I know he's stuck in a Misfit Toys dynasty but that doesn't excuse mistakes like putting Bray in for that situation.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #83
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Fuck me.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #84
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ugh, not only has Miami played like shit, but now I have to listen to the announcers with more of this "wait until the last second" idiotic two point conversion logic. And then Miami misses the XP.

And just as I type this, Miami recovers an onside kick. Now down 12 with 4:50 left.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-30-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #85
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And Miami scored on a long pass right away! Holy shit, we still have a game here!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #86
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

fahk....

so much for controlling your own destiny
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #87
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And the Miami defense fails.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #88
markprior22
High School Varsity

and Sparty gets ROCKED
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #89
tarcone
Coordinator

Great start for the Hawks. GREAT START!
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #90
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I loved Stanzi when he played for the Allman Brothers.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #91
MJ4H
Coordinator

nice start for nebraska
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nebraska's overrated and barely a top 25 team.[/mbbf]
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #93
markprior22
High School Varsity

WOO FREAKING HOO
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #94
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

What a brilliant move by the corner to pitch it to another player so he could be a lead blocker. 17-0 Iowa just like that. Wisconsin's shot at the Rose Bowl getting brighter by the moment!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #95
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Dear Misery,

Suck it.

Sincerely Bo.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #96
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Those national championship contenders are getting manhandled by a borderline top 25-30 team.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #97
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
What a brilliant move by the corner to pitch it to another player so he could be a lead blocker. 17-0 Iowa just like that. Wisconsin's shot at the Rose Bowl getting brighter by the moment!

Sash is a safety but, yeah, brilliant play
Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #100
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Glad to see the fraud top 6 teams getting handled. The only win any team in the Big 10 has over a BCS opponent with a winning record is OSU over Miami. Get that garbage conference away from the title game pronto.

Nebraska's receivers should be ashamed of costing their team a legit national championship game chance by dropping easy TDs against Texas. I would have loved the Oregon/Nebraska title game.

Every conference has their issues right now and to single out the Big 10 is silly. In my opinion the Big 12 is a joke (who has Nebraska beat? Who has Oklahoma beat? Mizzou? It's the same argument you have against the Big 10). The Big East is the biggest joke right along with the ACC. The SEC is probably the best conference. And then you've got the PAC 10 which has basically two good teams this year.

The Big 10 has potentially four top 15 teams come the end of the season as it stands right now.. no other conference can really say that right now.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote