Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #102
tarcone
Coordinator

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!

and another missed extra point. priotrity one is to recruit a stinkin' kicker. jeez.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #103
tarcone
Coordinator

We will see when bowl season rolls around. Big10 whooped butt last season.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #104
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Glad to see the fraud top 6 teams getting handled. The only win any team in the Big 10 has over a BCS opponent with a winning record is OSU over Miami. Get that garbage conference away from the title game pronto.

Nebraska's receivers should be ashamed of costing their team a legit national championship game chance by dropping easy TDs against Texas. I would have loved the Oregon/Nebraska title game.

Wow ok, and the SEC has what, 5 wins over BCS opponents with a winning record? Not many conferences have any.

Last edited by cmp : 10-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #105
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
SEC has 7 wins against BCS schools with winning records so far this year. Big 12 has 4. Big 10 has 1. That 1 just lost to UVA who came in with wins against Richmond, VMI and E. Michigan.

There's a large difference between the top teams in the top conferences and the top teams in the Big 10.

And what exactly are those 7 wins?
Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #106
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
SEC has 7 wins against BCS schools with winning records so far this year. Big 12 has 4. Big 10 has 1. That 1 just lost to UVA who came in with wins against Richmond, VMI and E. Michigan.

There's a large difference between the top teams in the top conferences and the top teams in the Big 10.

I would take the Big 10 over any conference this year in their Top 5 teams and as a conference as a whole.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #107
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

'CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE!!!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #108
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
And what exactly are those 7 wins?

Louisville and Clemson WERE one of the 7 wins but now they're .500 teams so.. bring that down to 5 wins(I'm still searching)

edit: Arkansas beat Texas A&M but A&M is losing at the moment and would bring this stat down to 4... (still searching for this all-telling stat that dictates greatness of conferences)

edit: wins over Penn State and North Carolina are part of the stat.. trying to find the last two.. Hmm

Last edited by mauchow : 10-30-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #109
tarcone
Coordinator

MSU. BAWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Old 10-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #110
tarcone
Coordinator

This is great.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #111
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

I hated to see them beat us last week, but I'm glad to see them back. I haven't hated them for quite awhile, but they are getting back to worthiness.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #113
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
6 more than the Big 10, that's what they are. The 2nd best OOC win for the Big 10 is either the trick play OT win against barely mediocre ND or the 1 point home with for Wisconsin over 3-4 ASU. They've played almost nobody and haven't done well against the few teams with a pulse they've played.

The Badgers went into Iowa and beat them and now MSU (who everyone knows was over rated but the Badgers couldn't come out with a win against the then-inspired Spartans because coach was in hospital.. but the game could have gone either way as it was evenly matched after halftime) is in Iowa and is absolutely getting crushed. The Big 10 is better than you think.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #114
kingfc22
Head Coach

And Missouri and MSU can now be scratched off the BCS title hopes list.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #115
tarcone
Coordinator

30-0 at half time. GO HAWKS!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #116
cmp
Pro Rookie

So these wins are against Penn State, North Carolina, South Florida, West Virginia,and Texas A&M? I can't find the other two, dont think there is anymore, but man that is some impressive stuff. The Big Ten can't compete with that right there.

Last edited by cmp : 10-30-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What's it like having a competent coaching staff, one you know will make the right decision for the right situation most of the time, one which has players that actually seem to develop over the seasons and show growth even during a season?

What's it like? Because I can't remember seeing that at UCLA in 20 years. I don't know what it looks like.

We haven't had even an adequate QB for more than a season since Cade McNown graduated after the 1998 season. And even allowing "for a season", we have only had one adequate season (a very good one from Ryan Olsen in 2005). That's one adequate season in 13 years. Every other season, we get QBs who miss wide open WRs, who can't complete short passes, who never establish a rhythm or show command of the offense.

Every other programs gets young guys to just come in and run the offense and do well. Or they get their starters hurt, and they just replace them, and they're fine. This doesn't happen at UCLA. We can't even get the starter to play well.

It's extremely frustrating as a fan. We can't even hire a reputed QB guru in Norm Chow and produce even an adequate QB.

I think an adequate QB covers for a lot of other ills in a program. And a poor one hides a lot of the other good stuff that can happen in a program. And you can't compete in the Pac 10 even with an adequate QB--you need a stud in this league.

It's critical that when you go to hire a coach, he has to be a guy who knows how to develop a QB--or who has shown he's smart enough to hire someone who knows.

I have a lot more issues with the rest of the staff as well, particularly on defense and at WR, but QB is the crux of the issue. It's getting me to the point where I think I am just going to stop paying any attention to UCLA's football team at all. Call me when they're finally good, and so forth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #118
miked
College Starter

Very happy to see the "U" go down.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #119
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
So these wins are against Penn State, North Carolina, South Florida, West Virginia,and Texas A&M? I can't find the other two, dont think there is anymore, but man that is some impressive stuff. The Big Ten can't compete with that right there.

Honestly, though -- what are the Big Ten's five best OOC wins?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #120
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Honestly, though -- what are the Big Ten's five best OOC wins?

I'm not saying the Big Ten has many, I just think it's a stupid statistic, not many conferences have any good OOC wins. Until the top teams in each conference play each other it's worthless to try and compare.

Last edited by cmp : 10-30-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #121
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

And by season's end 4 of those 5 teams might not have a better than .500 record. It is a telling stat though, I bow down to the SEC for taking care of business against those teams.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #122
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not saying the Big Ten has many, I just think it's a stupid statistic, not many conferences have any good OOC wins. Until the top teams in each conference play each other it's worthless to try and compare.

This. Bowl season answers most of these questions which is why it's silly to throw out pointless stats such as this.

I said it before, I would take the Big 10 right now over ANY conference in terms of who's the best.. but it's just my opinion and that doesn't matter at all.

Lets continue this fun chatting while the rest of the season continues to change every single week.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #123
Swaggs
Coordinator

Those OOC games don't tell the whole story, but they give a little bit of context on where a conference stands against its rival conferences. The wins, against even average to above average teams by members (particularly the middle to lower members of a conference) can give you a good idea of the depth of the conferences, in addition to the strength at the top.

Interestingly, I was reading an article a few days ago about how BCS OOC games are probably going to become fewer and fewer in the next 5-10 years because so many of the conferences are going to a 9-game season. That just leaves room for one FCS game (pure money-making home game), one rivalry game (think South Carolina-Clemson, Georgia-GT, USC-ND), etc), and then one game you can use against another BCS team or, more likely against a Sun Beltish/MACish team.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #124
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

William & Mary up 17-10 (assuming NC makes this FG) on North Carolina.

...and they miss the chip shot FG!

17-7

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 10-30-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #125
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post

17-7

Time?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #126
BishopMVP
Coordinator

7:20 left 3rd Q in the UNC game.

What's the worst shutout loss for a top 5 team?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #127
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Time?

Common Time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #128
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

+100
Old 10-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #129
bronconick
College Starter

Cal continuing to use separate squads for home and road games.

Home
W ASU 50-17
W UCLA 35-7

Road
L USC 14-48
L OSU 0-35 (3rd)
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #130
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Cal continuing to use separate squads for home and road games.

Home
W ASU 50-17
W UCLA 35-7

Road
L USC 14-48
L OSU 0-35 (3rd)

They also lost their starting QB early in the game perhaps for the year. It was disturbing to watch.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #131
BishopMVP
Coordinator

In MBBF's defense, Nebraska legitimately is a borderline top 25 team when Zac Lee is playing quarterback. Yeesh.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #132
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
7:20 left 3rd Q in the UNC game.

What's the worst shutout loss for a top 5 team?

Im thinking 50+ to 0. It seems to me that either one of the Notre Dame teams or Miami in the mid 80's kicked the crap out of the #1 ranked team.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #133
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What's it like having a competent coaching staff, one you know will make the right decision for the right situation most of the time, one which has players that actually seem to develop over the seasons and show growth even during a season?

What's it like? Because I can't remember seeing that at UCLA in 20 years. I don't know what it looks like.

We haven't had even an adequate QB for more than a season since Cade McNown graduated after the 1998 season. And even allowing "for a season", we have only had one adequate season (a very good one from Ryan Olsen in 2005). That's one adequate season in 13 years. Every other season, we get QBs who miss wide open WRs, who can't complete short passes, who never establish a rhythm or show command of the offense.

Every other programs gets young guys to just come in and run the offense and do well. Or they get their starters hurt, and they just replace them, and they're fine. This doesn't happen at UCLA. We can't even get the starter to play well.

It's extremely frustrating as a fan. We can't even hire a reputed QB guru in Norm Chow and produce even an adequate QB.

I think an adequate QB covers for a lot of other ills in a program. And a poor one hides a lot of the other good stuff that can happen in a program. And you can't compete in the Pac 10 even with an adequate QB--you need a stud in this league.

It's critical that when you go to hire a coach, he has to be a guy who knows how to develop a QB--or who has shown he's smart enough to hire someone who knows.

I have a lot more issues with the rest of the staff as well, particularly on defense and at WR, but QB is the crux of the issue. It's getting me to the point where I think I am just going to stop paying any attention to UCLA's football team at all. Call me when they're finally good, and so forth.

Its awesome.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #134
tarcone
Coordinator

37-0 Iowa

7:35 left in the 3rd
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They also lost their starting QB early in the game perhaps for the year. It was disturbing to watch.

I didn't see the play, and I hope Riley is okay.

That said if you know anything about Cal, you know that Riley not being on the field may not be an entirely bad thing. That position is just about the only spot they don't get good play on a consistent basis.

(Home/road splits aside).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-30-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Its awesome.

Heh... I'll bet.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #138
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't see the play, and I hope Riley is okay.

That said if you know anything about Cal, you know that Riley not being on the field may not be an entirely bad thing. That position is just about the only spot they don't get good play on a consistent basis.

(Home/road splits aside).

I know Riley has been inconsistent but they havent done anything with this other guy. He looks like a deer in headlights. On 3rd and 10 he wont even attempt to throw the ball to the marker.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know Riley has been inconsistent but they havent done anything with this other guy. He looks like a deer in headlights. On 3rd and 10 he wont even attempt to throw the ball to the marker.

That's impressive if they have a guy much worse than Riley. It's an indictment on the coaching staff there.

Of course, I would still trade UCLA's staff for that one.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #140
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is in its conservative offense. Pound the ball up the middle. MSU still having problems.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #141
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's impressive if they have a guy much worse than Riley. It's an indictment on the coaching staff there.

Of course, I would still trade UCLA's staff for that one.

Haha,

Yeah the backup is from Dallas and he is 8/14 for 45 yards. He is just scared to throw the ball more than 2 yards downfield. His name is Mansion.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #143
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post

17-7

I think I hear Wade crapping his pants with excitement somewhere.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #144
RedKingGold
College Starter

BTW, anyone watching the "Goal Line" preview on ESPN2?

Clear imitation of NFL's Red Zone but not nearly as good. Not impressed at all.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #145
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is going to lose their shut out. Too bad.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pretty nasty weather here in Seattle, hopefully that can somewhat neutralize Luck and give us a chance. I was going to go to the game today, glad I didn't.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #147
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I love how all these "experts" predicting Mizzou to lose and Michigan State to lose today were calling these upsets.

Vegas had the home teams favored by 7 points so Im not understanding how they can consider Iowa at home beating MSU or Nebraska at home beating Mizzou upsets.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #148
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Pretty nasty weather here in Seattle, hopefully that can somewhat neutralize Luck and give us a chance. I was going to go to the game today, glad I didn't.

Is it windy and rainy?

The total on the game is very high. Is the under a play?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #149
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Heh... I'll bet.

Come on Chief, don't feed the troll.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Is it windy and rainy?

The total on the game is very high. Is the under a play?

Yeah, if I was betting this game I think the under may be safe.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote