Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #101
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I think we need to split the Warriors into two teams
Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #102
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite tweet so far goes along the lines of: "When we speculate about how far LeBron could take Crappy Team X, it didn't mean we wanted the Lakers to try and out-do it in real life."
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 AM   #103
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
It definitely fed into the fire before the game.

I don't really think the decal stuff would have attributed to much, but interested to know if there's any truth to what the Philippines coach was saying about Kickert bumping players in the warmups.

Kickert is about the least physically imposing big guy to play the game - basically an old school finesse big who doesn't rebound or play defense. Seems out of character for him but might partially explain the reaction. Hell, even his dumb retaliation foul that started it to me looked like he aimed 6 inches higher than he planned.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 AM   #104
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't really think the decal stuff would have attributed to much, but interested to know if there's any truth to what the Philippines coach was saying about Kickert bumping players in the warmups.

Kickert is about the least physically imposing big guy to play the game - basically an old school finesse big who doesn't rebound or play defense. Seems out of character for him but might partially explain the reaction. Hell, even his dumb retaliation foul that started it to me looked like he aimed 6 inches higher than he planned.

It may not be a big thing from an outsider's perspective. There was very big local media and social media talk over here about the disrespect that the Australian team gave when they stated ripping apart the decals.

The refs also didn't do a good job of managing the game, too many cheapshots from both teams that were let go. The Kickert elbow was just the fuse that lit the powderkeg.

The entire arena was egging the fight on, they even did a wave after the fight. Our players even took selfies on the court, considering the fight as a badge of honor rather than shame.

That being said, what happened was a complete disgrace. There are guys that should have been charged with assault on our side.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 AM   #105
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looks like this is where it started: Australia vs Philippines basketball brawl new video: Newly reviewed vision shows altercation in warmups | FOX SPORTS

Agree re: the refs too. Did a real poor job managing the game.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 AM   #106
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Also, kudos to Thon Maker for attempting a solid flying kick, barely missing.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 AM   #107
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Ozzy Man Reviews: BASKETBRAWL - YouTube
Old 07-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #108
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

Oh man, I knew that was coming.

Still waiting for the Thon Maker/Sagat from Street Fighter mashup gif.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #109
QuikSand
lolzcat

As a casual NBA guy... what do you do right now if you're the Rockets?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 AM   #110
QuikSand
lolzcat

...other than search for some sort of emergency clause to relocate to the Eastern Conference?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone suggested that it would now only require 1 plan crash to restore parity to the NBA.

Last edited by stevew : 07-03-2018 at 11:10 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #112
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
As a casual NBA guy... what do you do right now if you're the Rockets?
You try and get cheap 3&D wings to replace Ariza, and hope your two shot creating stars stay healthy while one of Golden State's get hurt. Ferttita being unwilling to pay the tax $$$ to retain Ariza hurts, but I don't think Boogie changes the calculus between those two teams much - if Boogie is on the floor vs the Rockets, Warriors can't switch everything & Harden/Paul can attack him every possession with standard pick & rolls instead of the iso ball they had to go to.

You could also try to renew interest in re-seeding the playoffs, or at least the last 4 teams, instead of going strictly by conference affiliation. Though it is a little amusing now that LeBron opposing the idea publically was what really torpedoed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Rockets winning that series would have been one of the biggest upsets in NBA history. I just don't see that happening again. Especially with Paul a year older and Ariza gone.

The only chance a team has is injuries to two of the Warriors stars.
The Rockets were +155 going in to that series, and had a 3-2 lead. I just don't get the need for hyperbole.

Yeah there's probably 25 teams in the NBA that have zero chance, and that's a problem, but I can say that while admitting the Warriors were legitimately challenged & had to step up (albeit only in 1/4 series, though hopefully this year a healthy Celtics team that's matched up really well vs them is the Finals opponent.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NBA needs a designated player rule or simply a hard cap to fix this problem. DP rule would make guys less inclined to sit on a team making way less when they could make a lot more if a team was willing to throw it at them if they were a DP. Hard cap would be more draconian.

Of course, going the baseball route would be even better but there are always too many guys making way more than they need to be making because the cash is available, though I wonder if an uncapped league would bring more European players and dudes who play in China over here because teams could pay them more to be here.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #114
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think I like Arles' idea.

(1) Get rid of max salaries.

(2) Have a hard cap that's some amount over the soft cap. (And I know that there's some tension between guaranteed contracts and a hard cap, but it isn't like the NBA does not have a pretty good idea of where the cap is going, so I think that you could make that system work).

That would help reduce the outsized influence of stars because if you are paying actual market value for a Durant/LeBron/Davis, then you have less to pay your role players.

As for guys taking under market contracts to play where they want? That's not a problem. It's the free market. And, in the end, most guys take the most money. For every Boogie, there's ten guys who tell their agent "Just get me the most money." I don't see an epidemic of market-distorting contracts around the bend.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #115
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think allowing a much higher year to year increase, and going back to 5/6 year contracts could help. Forget the Boogie deal because there's some weird extenuating circumstances there, but having true superstars like LeBron & KD able to go for these 1 year + player option contracts and then just pick the best situation without sacrificing much money is a problem.

Plus this Golden State superteam was largely possible due to fortuitous timing around that huge cap spike. With Klay entering UFA this offseason, Draymond the next, KD on a 1+1 & Steph Curry owed $43 million/year for his age 32-34 seasons the actual Warriors juggernaut will likely be coming back to the pack soon.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #116
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Designating salaries at a % of the cap instead of dollar amounts would help. Just simply say 30% or something, and then only allow teams to exceed the cap by 20 percent or so. If the cap spikes existing players get more money and there's less to lavish on scrubs. And abolish the maximum salary. Skip all the dumb bird rights, etc. The Cavs had a season 4 years ago where they started under the cap and paid the luxury tax(or nearly did) by the end...I mean how does that even make sense.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head} Honestly, I still don't get the level of angst about a dominant GS or anybody else. The Bulls won 6 of 8 titles in their run. Go back nearly 40 years, the NBA has been a league of extended finals runs. Over & over & over.

This isn't something new by any means but I don't recall the hooha over, say, the Lakers being a "superteam". It's what the NBA has been through the most successful years its had, so why so much uproar this time?
Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #118
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's mostly because of how they are being formed. In the past, you didn't have top players leaving their team to form superteams. I.e, Dominique Wilkins staying in Atlanta as one example. The Bulls drafted Grant and Jordan, and traded for Pippen. I think that's legitimately different then a case where players are trying to join up with whatever the superteams(s) of the moment are and changing where they play a lot more. It's seen(and I think rightfully so) as being more unfair to the rest of the league as opposed to just getting beaten in the trading/drafting game.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-04-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:11 AM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's mostly because of how they are being formed. In the past, you didn't have top players leaving their team to form superteams. I.e, Dominique Wilkins staying in Atlanta as one example. The Bulls drafted Grant and Jordan, and traded for Pippen. I think that's legitimately different then a case where players are trying to join up with whatever the superteams(s) of the moment are and changing where they play a lot more. It's seen(and I think rightfully so) as being more unfair to the rest of the league as opposed to just getting beaten in the trading/drafting game.

The journey may be different ... but the destination seems roughly the same.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #120
miami_fan
Coordinator

Don't we questioned Dominique's status as a top player BECAUSE he spent so much of his career in Atlanta and was unable to lead them to any sort of playoff success?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #121
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't. Just like I don't think Garnett became magically better just because he went to Boston.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #122
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Don't we questioned Dominique's status as a top player BECAUSE he spent so much of his career in Atlanta and was unable to lead them to any sort of playoff success?

The answer is yes. Like it or not, rings raise your historic value.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm going to have to fire up Fast Break Pro Basketball and see if I can replicate some semblance of super team era free agent basketball.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #124
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I'm going to have to fire up Fast Break Pro Basketball and see if I can replicate some semblance of super team era free agent basketball.
Can it replicate a player entering free agency on a brutal injury where you don't know if he'll ever approach 100% of his previous production?

I hope DeMarcus comes back 100%, he's fun to watch & at least half of the problems in Sacramento were due to the Kings organization, but people are freaking out about superteams when he signed in GS, Paul George re-signed with OKC & LeBron just signed for a 35 win team? Seems a bit misguided. KD signing in GS last year was an unbelievable new precedent, but DMC to GS for 2018-19 is closer to Malone/Barkley signing with the Lakers than a real impact player changing the balance of power.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-04-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can it replicate a player entering free agency on a brutal injury where you don't know if he'll ever approach 100% of his previous production?

I hope DeMarcus comes back 100%, he's fun to watch & at least half of the problems in Sacramento were due to the Kings organization, but people are freaking out about superteams when he signed in GS, Paul George re-signed with OKC & LeBron just signed for a 35 win team? Seems a bit misguided. KD signing in GS last year was an unbelievable new precedent, but DMC to GS for 2018-19 is closer to Malone/Barkley signing with the Lakers than a real impact player changing the balance of power.

What Boogie seems to mean is that people now have to hope that GS has two to three injuries to the starting lineup instead of one to two.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wish we can spend less time trying to break apart the Warriors and more time trying to figure out how to get more out of an organization like the Magic.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #127
tarcone
Coordinator

I think a regional draft would be cool.

Might change the college game though.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #128
Groundhog
Coordinator

Trae Young having his 3rd horrendous shooting performance in a row for the Hawks summer league team. 1/12 tonight, and 10/48 through nearly 3 games.

Meanwhile, shock/horror/etc. Grayson Allen wrestles with Trae. Chrome won't let me post the direct link: Trae Young & Grayson Allen Skirmish / 2018 NBA Summer League - YouTube
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Trae Young having his 3rd horrendous shooting performance in a row for the Hawks summer league team. 1/12 tonight, and 10/48 through nearly 3 games.

Meanwhile, shock/horror/etc. Grayson Allen wrestles with Trae. Chrome won't let me post the direct link: Trae Young & Grayson Allen Skirmish / 2018 NBA Summer League - YouTube

I was kinda hoping GA would just chokeslam him & end the horror. No such luck.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #130
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was kinda hoping GA would just chokeslam him & end the horror. No such luck.

Blame the Warriors.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Blame the Warriors.

Heh. I can see that becoming the new "thanks Obama" phrase, now that you mention it.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #132
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Assuming the Melo to LA rumor will be true now?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #133
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I hope DeMarcus comes back 100%, he's fun to watch & at least half of the problems in Sacramento were due to the Kings organization, but people are freaking out about superteams when he signed in GS, Paul George re-signed with OKC & LeBron just signed for a 35 win team? Seems a bit misguided.

This. If DMC is healthy he's signing for huge dollars with the Lakers and everyone's pumped for GSW for LAL. While the rest of the league doesn't have the luxury of taking a total flier on Cousins the Warriors do - he can be a total zero and it makes no difference to them whereas anyone else it would be a waste of a much needed production spot.

For Cousins its the best possible thing - excellent chance to win a ring (and definitely to experience the playoffs at least once) and he's getting paid a few million to rehab and certainly not be rushed into playing. He's not going to have to prove himself as "the man" for an entire 82 game season to get one more massive payday - all he has to do is be able to play and have a few nice playoff moments where he looks like he did pre-injury and some team next year will throw a huge contract his way.

I don't see any healthy superstars in their prime being willing to take the MLE anytime soon - we might see more of what Malone and Payton did or what Dirk has been doing taking less money at the end but nobody is giving up hundreds of millions in guaranteed money to try and chase a ring on a superteam in their prime. This is a one off situation that happened because a team drafted amazingly well, a massive salary cap spike let them add the 2nd best player in the league to that core and a devastating injury left 29 other teams too scared and unable to take a flier rehabbing another all-star.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #134
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Gonna be weird seeing Tony Parker in an NBA uniform that isn't the Spurs.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 AM   #135
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Props to SloMo, who is going to be making almost $10M a year somewhere next season(4-year, $37M offer sheet signed with Memphis). That definitely wasn't in his projection when he came out of college. I'm also going to laugh if Melo joins Golden State just to troll the league.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-07-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #136
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Props to SloMo, who is going to be making almost $10M a year somewhere next season(4-year, $37M offer sheet signed with Memphis). That definitely wasn't in his projection when he came out of college. I'm also going to laugh if Melo joins Golden State just to troll the league.

Based on rising salaries, I'm surprised it's that low. But getting drafted by SA probably was the best thing that could happen to him.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tyler Honeycutt dies following gunfire exchange with police
Old 07-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #138
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have no idea why I find myself watching so many Summer League games, year after year.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Not that I have a plethora of fond Tyler Honeycutt memories from when he was in Westwood, but it is always so tragic when someone this young and talented ends up going out this way.

RIP

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #140
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_morgan View Post
Love Basketball and love Lebron game...

That's a pretty relevant and legitimate comment. It makes me want to trust you. Certainly, you have established yourself as a human with similar interests to those of us on this message board.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #141
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just wish ben had given us something to click on, because I feel like I'm really clicking with him.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #142
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That's a pretty relevant and legitimate comment. It makes me want to trust you. Certainly, you have established yourself as a human with similar interests to those of us on this message board.

Yeah, that's great.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #143
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I just wish ben had given us something to click on, because I feel like I'm really clicking with him.

Don't agree with the previous comments.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

His candle blew out long before...
...his legend ever diiiiiiiiiid.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #146
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It makes more sense for the Bulls to match it then the Kings to have offered it with all their guards, but that's a lot of money for Zach LaVine. I really hope the Kings go for Jabari Parker next & stay away from Marcus Smart.

Most surprising UFA left out there is Wayne Ellington. I'm sure at 31 he wants a multiyear deal, but he'd be a great fit for the Lakers, 76ers, Rockets, or really any team who needs shooting.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #147
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a lot of money to pay for the memory of pre-injury LaVine.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shouldn't the Kings throw a big offer at capella? Even if it's just a 2 + 1, you basically gotta force the rockets to pay the tax.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #149
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quietly optimistic about Sexton.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #150
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I've been enjoying the young Suns team - esp Ayton. In just 25 minutes or so in the last two games, he's been putting up 17-20 points and 10+ boards. He's also been fairly active on defense in terms of switching and guarding perimeter guys. This with the abysmal post passes by guards/wings in the Summer League and most teams still double teaming him.

Last edited by Arles : 07-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote