Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2004, 06:21 AM   #101
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen In Cap Hell Next Season
After the changing of contracts with twentyfour players, the Merchantmen moved from fourth worst cap situation to second best cap situation at 17 million under the cap. The cap situation for the Merchantmen seems safe, yet with the upcoming draft there will be some expensive additions to the roster. But a bigger problem is the cap situation for the 2006 season. That season, the salary cap is expected to be around 80 million dollars and the Merchantmen are projected at 76 million dolars with 33 players under contract, excluding the draft picks for the 2005 IHOF draft. General manager M.IJ.B. is confident: "Yes, we could have to make some tough choices next offseason, yet, for the 2007 season our cap situation will have a much better head start." The biggest concern should be the lack of a starting quarterback, despite the popularity of Justin McDavid, he's already been called "Fumblin' Justin" by the management. General manager M.IJ.B. defends his project playcaller: "We built our system around Justin. Sadly he fumbled a little too much, but we are confident he will learn to avoid those. Don't forget he threw for 19 touchdowns, which was a top ten performance in the IHOF, especially on an offense that ranked 22nd league wide in points and in total yards." Still, the Merchantmen simply lack the cap space to acquire a franchise quarterback in 2006, so it's either this year or 2007. Newly acquired offensive tackle Wilson Grimaldo responded: "At Paris, we had Fabian Parker, one of the most talented passers in the game. Things just didn't click, while in Maassluis things seemed to click, yet the guys lacked experience. With the young guys a year older and me on the team, this offense will go places. I'll do my best to help McDavid or any other quarterback to get the time to make his plays." Still, the problem of a big cap hit in the 2006 season won't be solved easily, contract extensions to several players mean they have two signing bonuses counting against the cap and have a significant higher base salary then in the 2005 season. The Merchantmen's building process has only begun, yet they have manouvred themselves in a deadlock for 2006.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #102
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Add Two Safeties And Mentor Defensive End
To address the gap at safety, the Maassluis Merchantmen have signed Wiley McGhee and Richard Muller as free agents. McGhee played for Asheville Axemen, where he started 16 games in which he made 77 tackles, 2 interceptions and defended 12 passes. McGhee should fill the gap at strong safety created by the trade of Randall Smith. Muller was a backup at Leesburg Generals, the team now named Miami Sharks, where he made 24 tackles, 1 interception and defended 6 passes in 16 games. The Merchantmen also added defesive end Albert Bernardo to the roster. Bernardo is concidered a mentor for defensive ends and should be a great teacher for the four other ends playing in Maassluis. Bernardo played for Springfield Isotopes in 2005 in 16 games, starting 5 of those, and made 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Bernardo's highlight of the season was a fumble he recovered for a touchdown in a 20-10 victory at Leesburg.

General League News
In the past weeks, some teams have changed names and owners. A list of changes:
Boulder Bulldogs - changed name to Boulder Blizzard
Columbus Architects - changed owners in 2004 with TRO replacing Daimyo
Leesburg Generals - changed owners with Sfl_cat replacing Subby
Leesburg Generals - changed name to Miami Sharks
Stillwater Dynamite - changed owners in 2004 with Buccaneer replacing TroyF
Stillwater Dynamite - changed name to Telluride Outlaws
Old 05-07-2004, 03:58 AM   #103
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade Up From #14 To #6
The Maassluis Merchantmen management is happy to annnounce having agreed on a deal with the Springfield Isotopes in a trade that moves the Maassluis Merchantmen up from #14 to #6 overall in the upcoming draft. In this trade, the Merchantmen give up a second round pick at #44 overall and their second round pick in 2006. In return, the Merchantmen receive the Isotopes' third and fourth round selections in the 2007 draft. General manager M.IJ.B. commented on rumors that trading up seemed unnecesary as the Merchantmen still hold the #12 pick: "We do, but we have some big needs and want to address as much needs as possible in the draft. What if our potential guys are gone at #12 and we have two selections coming up where we can't address our needs? We can't let that happen." The Merchantmen's move surprised people around the league, especially since the Merchantmen first traded out of the #1 spot in a trade that offered them the #12 and #44 overall with a starting linebacker. Now, they give up the #14 and #44 to move back up. Some experts believe the Merchantmen would use the #6 pick on safety Derrick Villagomez, despite the signing of free agents Wiley McGhee and Richard Muller to replace Randall Smith, who was traded to Paris Musketeers. Other players mentioned by the league sources are top quarterback Mario Hudson, center J.J. Burroughs, guard Luke Hayes and defensive tackle Joel Woodcock.

Merchantmen 2006 Cap Situation Getting Out Of Hand
After the addition of defensive end Albert Bernardo and safeties Wiley McGhee and Richard Muller, the Merchantmen's cap situation for the 2006 season seems to become a big problem. Some cap experts project them to be five million dollars over the cap with only 39 players on roster. The Merchantmen management was not willing to comment on the situation, as general manager M.IJ.B. was quoted: "The Merchantmen are always looking to the future, we will not be over the cap when the 2006 season kicks off." All could be, but in the mean time the Merchantmen are openly shopping their draft selections for the 2006 season. They already traded away their second round pick to Springfield and their seventh round pick to Paris. It could be a long offseason in Maassluis next season.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 AM   #104
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Add Draft Pick At #41 Overall
In an amazing move, the Maassluis Merchantmen acquired Forth Worth Fury's second round pick in this year's draft, which is the #41 overall. The Merchantmen gave away their second round pick in 2007, their fifth round pick in 2006 and the seventh round pick in this year's draft from Paris at #206 overall. General manager M.IJ.B. responded: "Key element in the trade will be our perfomance in the 2006 season. If we play well then, we traded away a low second round pick for a high pick and gave up a fifth and seventh rounder." All due respect, but the Merchantmen with a winning record in 2006? They have a serious cap problem coming up that season, plus they don't have a quarterback who can lead the team to victories. M.IJ.B.: "It's a matter of time. We'll get what we need this offseason, paste it together next offseason and we have aserious shot at the title in 2007." Of course, the Merchantmen have improved their draft situation this season with now the #6, #12, #31 and #41 on hand, yet they gave up future second rounders as well. Nice picks, but league experts call this year's draft class weak and giving away high picks in likely better drafts. Not to mention that the Merchantmen had six picks in the top two rounds not so long ago. M.IJ.B.: "We have additional picks in 2007 in the third and fourth round, those can be valuable by that time. We gave away picks to acquire Wilson Grimaldo and our goal remains as it has been from the start." What the goal is, M.IJ.B. was unwilling to give away, but it seems they want to get their future starters now and hope to keep all together next season and the year after.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:07 AM   #105
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Mock Draft For 2005 IHOF Draft
Our reporters have created a mock draft for the first round in this season's IHOF amateur draft. Selections are based on gut feeling and needs. The draft order is up to date for after the third free agency stage. For the Merchantmen the mock draft below would mean the Dutchmen address needs at center and guard, but fail to address the biggest need at quarterback. Center J.J. Burroughs and guard Luke Hayes are the best players at their positions in the draft, while Fernando Weaver fills the gap left after the Merchantmen traded away Frederic Vargas, while Gregory Monti has lost his speed over injuries. The first round from our mock draft:
1 Astoria - DE Peter Hutton
2 San Luis Obispo - WR Tyrus Shaye
3 Boulder - QB Mario Hudson
4 Paris - OT Earl Zeigler
5 Georgia - QB Ron Lyle
6 Maassluis - OG Luke Hayes
7 Anaheim - S Derrick Villagomez
8 Minnesota - OT Patrick Weber
9 Fort Worth - DT Grant Major
10 Rochester - DE Earnest Sanford
11 Gothenburg - OT Jake Griffith
12 Maassluis - OC J.J. Burroughs
13 Outer Banks - DT Joel Woodcock
14 Springfield - WR Stan Butler
15 Syracuse - RB Kurt Basso
16 Miami - CB Taj Wayne
17 Conyers - OT Nolan Bradford
18 Vicksburg - RB Heath Barber
19 Tucker - QB Leonard Lyon
20 Miami - S Duane Kolb
21 Boston - FB Alfred Dingle
22 RayCo - OT Victor Owens
23 Brooklyn - OC Max Warren
24 Orlando - DE B.J. Ingram
25 Columbus - CB Ron Huffman
26 Asheville - DE Terrell Rodgers
27 Frederick - QB Jim McNown
28 San Antonio - DT Levon Stuart
29 Fairbanks - OT Ernest Browning
30 Ann Arbor - OT Neal Cheever
31 Maassluis - WR Fernando Weaver
32 Fairbanks - DE Bryce Bourgeois

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-07-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #106
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News - Locker Room Riot Coming Up?
Anonymus sources report that new addition defensive end Albert Bernardo, who left Springfield for the worst team in the league, has been putting a revolution in the locker room. It is reported that Bernardo is luring at a role as defensive front leader when Andrew King is cut after training camp, which is a likely option. King has been a trouble maker with starting linebacker Mike Kershner. However, it seems that promising defensive end Deon Chapa doesn't like Bernardo as being his mentor. Head coach Leroy van der Woude commented: "We have yet to go into training and already people see our players cockfighting. Look, this is part of being human, you can't expect people to go along well with everyone around. Bernardo is an excellent addition to the team. I should know, I had season tickets last season in Maassluis." Despite Van der Woude's confidence, we fear a revolution will take place as King's days near the world port are counted, he could be sailing home pretty soon.

Irregular Interviewing With: Justin McDavid
Ogden, Utah, the hometown of a record setting IHOF player. Justin McDavid made quite an entrance in the International House Of Football as the quarterback of the league's worst team, the Maassluis Merchatmen. Experts point to McDavid's lack of talent as a passer, yet the guy outperformed other starting rookies in passing yards (2,904) and touchdowns (19) in 15 starts. On the ground, McDavid added 322 yards and 2 more scores. But McDavid's name was set in the league in a different role, McDavid had a nose of fumbling at his team's half of the field and put up a league high of 13 fumbles. Add 22 interceptions and you have Mr. Turnover, or as the McDavid haters call him: "Fumblin' Justin". Despite the numerous losses, McDavid has stolen the hearts of Merchantmen fans, McDavid was polled as one of the most popular players on the team, third to do-it-all fullback Mark Burger and hard-hitter linebacker Mike Kershner. What follows is the transcript of our short interview with McDavid.
Q (Questioner) - Justin, we'd like to start with the question everybody wants to know. You set two important passing records as a rookie, yet people only know you as Fumblin' Justin. Does it hurt a lot?
JM (Justin McDavid) - First of all, I didn't set those records on my own. Without guys like Jerry Aubrey and Bryce Ewald I probably would have never reached 2,900 yards or get over the one touchdown per game mark. I know I made mistakes in my rookie year, but I always thought that's what it's all about in your first year. You make a mistake, learn from it and get mentally stronger.
Q - Even with the losses lead by your fumbles?
JM - They never replaced me. I think people in the office are happy with me and I'll return them the favor by doing what I do best. I look what the defensive linemen do and react accordingly. It's my nature to best when we're in a 2nd and 15 situation. Of course with Randy, we hardly ever get there.
Q - Do the rumors of the team trading up in the draft to get Mark Hudson hurt you?
JM - No. Hudson is the best playcaller in this class. Teams will go after him, no matter what. It makes sense that people link the best quarterback with the losingest team in the league. I'll be confident to do better in camp and preseason. We'll see who's the number by then. Providing the management take him.
Q - Who would you pick?
JM - Me? How should I know? Playing home games in Europe means hardly watching a game of college football. All I know is that Lamar Perez and Jamie McDermit (fullback and tight end who are Texas Tech graduates like McDavid) had a great scouting combine.
Q - What's your take on the trading of picks?
JM - I heard it's part of Dutchmen, having to hassle and negotiate over everything. They say in the end they always get the best out of it. I hope they do, the better the picks, the better the new players are.
Q - And the addition of Wilson Grimaldo?
JM - Wilson is so big! I mean, he's 6'7", 342 pounds, but that's not all. Wilson has a great personalty, he's smart and very experienced. I know he liked the weather in Paris better, though, but overall I think he's willing to help this team reach the ultimate goal.
Q - Which is?
What do you think? Having a ring around your finger when you retire! We have a good group now. Great men on offense, a lot of potential on defense. The management aims for 2007, but I think Calvin (Snider, backup quarterback) is right, you have to win all the time.
Q - Will you be the starting quarterback by that time?
I wish. In this game, the future is hard to see. Just look at the rumors surrounding David Conti. A second year guy like me, leaguewide tagged as the future ruler of the league, guided his team to the AOC Championship as a rookie, but now they say he could be traded before the draft.
Q - You're well informed.
JM - The network is small, even when things happen overseas. Of course now I'm home in Utah. I can follow all the rumors in football land.
Q - But unlike Conti, you did signed a new contract. You're underpaid for a starting quarterback!
Look at it this way: I got 1.5 million dollars as a signing bonus. That's a lot of money to have in the pocket. The coming five years I will get enough money to be able to retire and never have to work again.
Q - Sounds good.
JM - I want to play football! Right now, I will be starting in Maassluis. I know they might bring in other guys, but I don't see this team pick up so many guys over the next years that I won't be playing in Maassluis in say 2007. Plus, I'm not the kind of guy that loves to play in a different uniform every new season.
Q - Justin, thank you for your time. Good luck with the Merchantmen in the upcoming season.
JM - Thank you, too.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-07-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #107
primelord
Pro Rookie

You have me taking a FB with my first round pick????
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #108
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Management Presents: Offseason Overview
With the draft starting in three days and upgrading the roster through free agency basically impossible, the Merchantmen management has summed up and analyzed what five trades have brought in and costs us. The full list of tradeware is below, excluding draft picks that were traded in and later on traded away (for example the #14 pick overall acquired from Paris and later on traded to Springfield.):

Coming In
RT Wilson Grimaldo
SLB Ellsworth Thelen
1st round pick Spr (#6)
1st round pick Ast (#12)
1st round pick Tel (#31)
2nd round pick FtW (#41)
3rd round pick 2007 Spr
4th round pick 2007 Spr
4th round pick NPl (#125)
7th round pick SAo (#221)
7th round pick NPl (#222)

Going Out
WR Frederic Vargas
FS Randall Smith
1st round pick Maa (#1)
2nd round pick Maa (#33)
2nd round pick 2006 Maa
2nd round pick 2007 Maa
3rd round pick Maa (#65)
4th round pick Maa (#97)
5th round pick Maa (#129)
5th round pick 2006 Maa
6th round pick Maa (#161)
7th round pick Maa (#193)
7th round pick 2006 Maa

That's a long list of in's and out's, but what does it mean in general?
Let's scratch away what's basically worth the same, it leaves:
Coming In
RT Wilson Grimaldo
SLB Ellsworth Thelen
1st round pick Spr (#6)
1st round pick Spr (#12)

Going Out
WR Frederic Vargas
FS Randall Smith
1st round pick Maa (#1)
2nd round pick 2007 Maa
5th round pick 2006 Maa
6th round pick Maa (#161)

So in general, we added an impact player who should increase the quality of the OL significantly, added a young starting LB and acquired two draft picks that could turn into long term starters.

In return, we gave up WR Vargas, a potential starter who was too expensive to keep around, FS Smith who we tried to replace with the addition of two veteran free agents and 4 draft picks of which 2 can become a big deal of giving them up. the 2007 2nd rounder is hard to value as we hope to be a winning franchise by that time and make trading the that pick for the #9 in the second round worth it. The 5th and 6th rounder are also hard to value, you never know what it might turn into.

But mostly, we gave up the right to draft #1 overall. Looking at the draft class, the players worth the #1 are DE Hutton, DT Grant and WR Shyne. Those positions are not our biggest needs, so we should not be so sad about losing it.
Was trading the pick in advance good? Maybe not, we might have been able to get a lot more from a team desperate to land a DE, DT or WR, but down the road we feel happy to be not picking at #1, yet pick twice in the top 12, and also at #31 and #41 when there should be decent options for center and guard available.

In free agency, we added only players from other teams, of which only one is a real starter. Strong safety Wiley McGhee is our wild card for outperforming last year's starter Lincoln Gilmore.
Richard Muller probably can't fill the shoes of Randall Smith, but in a rotation with Percy Francis they migth be able to to together. Granted, we hoped to sign either Muller or McGhee, but we shouldn't be unhappy having both.
Albert Bernardo was a wild shot and adds our roster up to five defensive ends with a lot of talent. What makes him an intrueging pickup is his role as mentor at a relative low level of experience as a 6th year veteran.

Now what?
We have five pressing needs:
Quarterback, Center, Left Guard, Right Guard and Cornerback
What to do?
That will be the big question, yet the management has the plan more then ready to improve the roster to get the Merchantmen in a shot to go 6-10 or better. With other teams spying on our actions, we think to have confused the others enough by first trading into the first round at #14, next trading down from #1 to #12, but then trading up again from #14 to #6. We have set up our draft board for the whole draft, including our options for the picks late in the 7th round.
So?
Stay tuned and you'll find out what the Merchantmen management will do to improve the doormat of the IHOF!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-07-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #109
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Merchantmen In Market For Gene Simmons!
Our reporters managed to discover negotiations between the Maassluis Merchantmen and the Rochester Lake Monsters in a trade that should bring All IHOF guard Gene Simmons to Europe. It is a public secret that the Merchantmen have voted for Simmons as Offensive Player of the Year, while it's a known fact that the Merchantmen are actively seeking for guards to strengthen their offensive line. The management of neither team were available for comment, yet the good relations between the management of the two teams has never been denied. In the offseason prior to the 2004 season, the Merchantmen acquired All IHOF second team left tackle Harold Hurtado for who now is the Lake Monsters' best receiver. Rumors are that a possible trade would have included two first round picks. Gossip News will bring you more on this when we reveal new fact on this matter.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #110
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Management Deny Gene Simmons Trade Rumors
The Maassluis Merchantmen want to distinguish from the rumors spread around at FOFC about the Merchantmen's interest in Rochester Lake Monsters' All IHOF guard Gene Simmons. The management advices fans of the Merchantmen and fans of other IHOF teams to forget everything the Gossip News sells. It's their job to spread lies. General manager M.IJ.B. will address the issue in a personal statement.
General manager M.IJ.B.: "On this matter there are four things to be said. First, the Lake Monsters have been parterns in trade talking over the course of time and we wish to keep them as good friends in trade talking. Last season's trade of Hurtado and Collins was successfull for both teams and we hope to be in the past too. Second, this offseason we've been very active in trade talking. So far we accomplished five trades, but have also seen talks endup fruitless. Third, Gene Simmons is a great player and I imagine any team in this league would want this player on their team. Yet, at this moment we can't give away information whether he's our main target to upgrade our team at the guard position. We cannot give information about whether we are in trade talks about this player, let alone give details on what we might have offered for him. Fourth, it is true that we voted for Simmons as Offensive Player of the Year. Reasoning behind is was our own statistical analysis on offensive lineman showing Simmons as the best in the league. Plus, we figured Joey Allen and Huey Guervais would go number one and two anyway. We thank you for your time."
Old 05-08-2004, 10:22 AM   #111
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Get Top Guard For Draft Picks
In a quick round of negotiations over night, the Maassluis Merchantmen agreed terms with the Orlando Knights to give the Merchantmen the rights of Alvin Causey, one of the top rated gaurds in the league. Causey is currently severly injured and by doctors projected out for 21 weeks with a torn deltiod muscle. In return, the Knights receive this year's #125 pick overall, a fourth rounder originally from North Plainfield, as well as the Merchantmen's third round picks in the 2006 and 2007 drafts. This trade could address the Merchantmen's need for a guard, barring Causey returns to his normal shape. Whether that is possible is yet to be seen, as the muscle in the top of the arm is important for a lineman to make blocks. General manaher M.IJ.B. was confident: "We are very hopefull in Causey's recovery. If he returns to his normal level, or at least to about 75%, he'll be a great guy to team up with Harold Hurtado and Wilson Grimaldo." Despite the injury, this move could give the Merchantmen the much wanted upgrade on the offensive line, additional to the trade for Grimaldo. A tough part in the deal is Causey's one-year cotract." M.IJ.B.: "We hope to convince Causey to sign a longer deal the day he arrives in Maassluis." However, with the expected terrible cap situation for the 2006 season, Causey could get the Merchantmen even further over the cap.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #112
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Sign Shepard And Page, Cut Norton
The Maassluis Merchantmen are happy to announce the longer stay of two backups in the backfield from last season. Quarterback Antoine Shepard and running back Kyle Page signed a new two-year contract to keep them around until the end of the 2006 season. In addition, the Merchantmen cut lineback Les Norton, who's position had become troublesome after the addition of Ellsworth Thelen and continueous arguements between defensive tackle Andrew King and Norton. Keeping around Shepard and Page makes it easier for the team to keep under the cap in 2006, as both signed close to minimum salaries for that season. It is expected that the Merchantmen management try to extend contracts of other backup players. Additionally, the Merchantmen hope to be able to settle a nice deal with guard Alvin Causey, who is expected to be out for the entire 2005 season and will be out of contract after that season. General manager M.IJ.B.: "Trading for Causey was a risk, but we are willing to take that risk for one of the best offensive linemen in the league." Signing Causey can be a problem after all, due to the 2006 cap problems.

Gossip News: Merchantmen Draft Options
We have reason to believe that the Merchantmen could select quarterback Mario Hudson if he's still available at the #6 pick overall. We acquired scouting reports from the Dutch team and have reason to believe hat they don't like the other options at quarterback, like Ron Lyle, Leonard Lyon and Jim McNown. Other names going around are safety Derrick Villagomez, cornerbacks Taj Wayne and Ron Huffman, and names of about every offensive lineman projected as a potential first or second round selection. Also don't be surprised if the Merchantmen just take the best player available at #12 overall, which could be one of the top running backs, Kurt Basso and Heath Barber. Plus, the Merchantmen are a team building on the defensive line, where the could still use an upgrade at the tackle position. Joel Woodock could fit in there...
Old 05-11-2004, 03:34 AM   #113
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft News: Merchantmen Trade Out Of #6 Overall
The Merchantmen have agreed to trade away the #6 pick to the Astoria Heroes, when the #5 pick was on the clock. The Heroes will also get defensive end Cecil Doney, while the Merchantmen get Astoria's first and second round picks in 2006, as well as the second and third rounders in 2005 from Georgia, which Astoria acquired through a trade that involved the #1 pick. The Merchantmen had one other serious trade offer at the same time going on. General manager M.IJ.B.: "True. The other offer could have helped us more, but we got at a point where both sides of the table were unwilling to add more to the trade. When the Astoria general manager got all excited, we just had to make the deal." In the end, the Heroes traded up to get safety Derrick Villagomez, yet the #5 pick got traded from Georgia to Boulder and the Blizzard made Villagomez their first draft selection. Eventually, the Heroes selected defensive tackle Major Grant. The management wants to make clear to the fans that things are still going as planned in the draft. M.IJ.B.: "They do. We can't give away our strategy, but the players we're hoping to acquire are all still there." On Maassluis possibly taking quarterback Mario Hudson: "We anticipated that Minnesota and Paris would pick OT Zeigler and Hudson, so Hudson was never an option at #6 to us. Only if he'd dropped to that pick, we'd have kept the #6, but when Hudson got picked, the #6 became less interesting to us and we decided to trade down." Despite the loss of the #6 pick, the Merchantmen still hold picks at #12, #31, #37 and #41 overall, while they added a first rounder in 2006 from Astoria, a team in a building process. M.IJ.B.: "Yes, we could go out there and try to trade into the first round again, but chances are slim we will be able to do so." So, the worst team in the league have made their mark at the draft as being active traders, but with the general manager having other commitments, the Merchantmen are likely to settle with the selections they have now. At least the #12 overall seems to be off the trading block.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-11-2004 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #114
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day News: Merchantmen Select CB Tai Wayne
With the #12 pick overall, the Maassluis Merchantmen have selected Jacksonville cornerback Tai Wayne as their first player in the 2005 IHOF draft. The 5'8" Wayne ran a 40-yard time of 4.33 but is mostly selected because the Merchantmen needed a shutdown cornerback. Wayne should be an immediate starter on a pass defense that ranked in the top 12 league wide in 2004. Wayne's respected for his stamina, his man-to-man defense and he's also a hard hitter with good play analysis skills. With Wayne, the Merchantmen have addressed one of many needs on their team, but the draft isn't over yet. General manager M.IJ.B.: "Things are going well, though not as planned, but let's just say other teams are avoiding our projects thusfar." The Merchantmen didn't get QB Mario Hudson at #6 overall, but to M.IJ.B. that was no issue: "We had a deal with another team to deal the #6 if Hudson would reach that pick, but Paris would have never let that happen." So, what holes need to be filled? Will it be a center or a guard? And where is that franchise quarterback? Keep tuned and you'll know soon.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 PM   #115
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day News: Merchantmen Trade 2006 First Round Pick
After a set of negotiations, the Merchantmen management agreed terms with the San Antonio Volunteers to trade for the #28 selection overall in the 2005 IHOF Draft and San Antonio's fourth round pick for the Merchantmen's first round pick in 2006. The trade astonished onwers throughout the league as some see the Merchantmen as the league doormat and expect them to be going 5-11 at best, meaning the Merchantmen gae up a potential top 5 selection. General manager M.IJ.B.: "It might seem so, but we have gotten so much already in other trades, with the #25 on the clock and us knowing what Asheville would do at #26, we know for sure we can get one of our three late first round projects." On other fronts, the Merchantmen have acquired more selections for the 2006 season, meaning they've gone to six selections in the top four rounds in next year's draft. M.IJ.B.: "We tried to get rid of 2006 selections, but in the end, if we can get the guys we want this year, there's no reason to give up all we got in the numerous trades." The league astonished, the Merchantmen think they can get their piece of the puzzle at #28 overall. "Or at #31" as M.IJ.B. clearified.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:39 AM   #116
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day News: Merchantmen Get Four First Rounders
At the last picks in the 2005 IHOF Draft, the Maassluis Merchantmen added three players to their draft class. With the #28 pick overall, the Merchantmen added guard Butch "Bruce" White, a pick they acquired in a trade with San Antonio. At #31 overall, the Merchantmen acquired quaterback Leonard Lyon and then they traded up from #41 to #32 overall to select center Brant Heinrich. All in all, the last selections in the first round of the draft were dominated by the Merchantmen trading in there twice. General manager M.IJ.B. commented: "We tried to trade up to get Burroughs, the best player on the board since the #15 was on the clock but many attepmts failed and eventually he was picked one pick ahead of us. Still, we traded also up to got the White as the guard we wanted, and Lyon as our quarterback. We already had a deal with the Fairbanks Northstars depending on us getting Burroughs, but eventually we decided to do the deal with us getting Heinrich in stead." The Merchantmen management feel the addressed four gaps in the draft so far. Quarterback has been a questionmark despite Justin McDavid's decent performance in 2004. So has the offensive line been, but with White and Heinrich drafted, plus the trades for tackle Wilson Grimaldo and Alvin Causey, the offensive line could be build for the next three years. Wayne improves a so-so secondary that managed to be rated amongst the top 5 pass defenses league wide for most of the season. M.IJ.B.: "The draft is far from over, we still have selection up, but it is true that we are very pleased to have gotten a the second or third best options at quarterback, center and guard." For the 2006 season, the Merchantmen traded away their first round pick, but managed to get a second rounder for a fifth and seventh rounder, while they gave up their 2007 second rounder for a fourth rounder that year. M.IJ.B.: "Unlike we planned, our strategy was to use our 2006 selections this year, we got a better draft situation for 2006 and 2007 combined then at the start of the offseason."

Additional Roster Moves
We signed RB Roy Kesler and CB John Cole as free agents to 2-year deals and at minimum salaries in both seasons. Kesler could be a camp casualty, while Cole looks like a potential nickelback.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-13-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #117
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Exclusive: GM Review On First Round Of 2005 IHOF Draft
Well, the first round has finished, it's time to reveal some secrets behind Maassluis' First Round Drafting in the 2005 IHOF Draft.

What were our goals?
At the start of the offseason the Merchantmen had the following needs in order of importance:
* get a new offensive line
* get a starting cornerback
* get rid of overpaid backups
* upgrading the starting quarterback
* get a better outside linebacker

What was our plan?
To achieve the goals mentioned above, the following had to be done:
* try to acquire All IHOF guard Gene Simmons
* trade for enough picks to select 3 linemen
* get a cornerback, how was not important
* sign a free agent quarterback
* get a linebacker, how was not important

What happened?
* We got into a trade with North Plainfield. That trade got us the #14 pick overall and cost us backup WR Frederic Vargas, who was too expensive to keep around. We also tradsed up from #65 to #50 overall in the draft.
* We got into negotiations with Astoria for the #1 pick. Although neither side wanted to traded ahead of seeing the draft class, at some point both sides felt they had a steal and the deal got on. We got the linebacker we wanted, got the #12 overall, went up from #33 to #31 and got a late 2nd round pick.
* The draft class is revealed, the draft is deep at OL positions, especially OT, which is good for us to fill the gaps on the OL.
* Paris approach us and manage to convince us to trade for Wilson Grimaldo. Eventually we gave up the #50 and #63 picks and our important free safety Randall Smith.
* We renewed contracts with about 20 starters and quality backups to keep them around for 2 or more years.
* We signed two free agent safeties and a mentor defensive end (making one of our other DEs tradable).
* I decided that trading away all the 2006 picks to improve our team in the 2005 draft could benefit us.
* We traded up from #14 to #6 with Springfield and gave up 2nd rounders in that trade for 3rd and 4th rounders in 2007. It put us in a position where we could pickup QB Mario Hudson.
* We picked up Fort Worth's #41 overall by giving up our 2007 2nd rounder and two more later round picks.
* Rumors were spread about our interest for Gene Simmons.
* We traded for Alvin Causey from Orlando, who is out for the 2005 season, giving up two 3rd rounders and a 4th rounder.
* Negotiations for Gene Simmons failed.
* The draft started.
* Mario Hudson was picked #4 overall, making the #6 no longer useful. Our other options G Hayes and C Burroughs could be get at #12 overall. Leonard Lyon becomes our potential aim at QB.
* We traded the #6 overall and our expendable backup DE Cecil Doney for Astoria's 2006 1st and 2nd rouders, as well as the #37 and #69 overall
* Negotiations for Gene Simmons failed, again.
* G Luke Hayes was selected, moving Butch White into #1 for guard at our draft board.
* Negotiations for Gene Simmons failed, for a third time.
* We picked up cornerback Tai Wayne, who we wanted to get here, knowing center is not a need position in this league.
* We tried to trade into the mid first round to get C Burroughs, offering Astoria's 1st and 2nd round picks in 2006, but no deal was made.
* Brooklyn picked up our second option at center in Max Warren, leaving Burrough on the board.
* We tried to trade into the mid first round to get C Burroughs, offering Astoria's 1st and 2nd round picks in 2006, but no deal was made.
* We established a possible deal with Fairbanks involving their #32 pick and our #41 pick.
* A conditional trade for Asheville's #26 involving our #31 was established, if DE B.J. Ingram would go #25 overall.
* We traded our future 1st rounder to get the #28 overall from San Antonio to pick G White or QB Lyon, knowing who the #26 pick would be.
* We trade the #37 pick for a 2nd rounder in 2006 with Vicksburg, we figured our #37 could not land us one of the 3 guys we aim for in C Burroughs, G White and QB Lyon.
* The trade was cancelled with Columbus picking up WR Weaver.
* Frederick picked C Burroughs at #27 overall. Brant Heinrich moves up to our #1 center.
* We selected guard Butch White at #28 in stead of #31.
* We established a conditional trade with Fairbanks depending on Ann Arbor's selection, the #32 and #96 from Fairbanks for our #41 and #69.
* Ann Arbor picked OT Nolan Bradford, meaning the Fairbanks trade was finalised.
* We selected QB Lyon and center Heinrich.

Total review?
* I think we filled our gaps at C, G, G, T, OLB and CB.
* We still could use an upgrade at DT and QB Lyon is far from a sure thing to us, QB McDavid has the odds against him, but he could remain as our #1 QB.
* We have seven selections in the 2006 draft, and seven in 2007. In total we turned a 5th and 7th rounder into a 4th rounder.
* Our 2006 cap situation is expected to be at 10M over the cap with 48 players signed, including rookies from the 2005 and 2006 drafts.

Conclusion?
Well, I think we did well with the trading and drafting. We turned the #1 overall in every round into 4 possible starters and we still have the last pick in round 3 and two late 7th rounders. For some reason, we ended up with as much picks and possibly as much value of the picks for the upcoming drafts. The starting role gaps are close to addressed, yet my confidence in QB Lyon is a relative low. He looks like a good QB, but I've yet to see he fits our system like McDavid did. The thing is, we needed to do something, QB Lyon provides us an alternative at QB, which we didn't have with our backups Antonio Shepard and Calvin Snider. I think the team has been upgraded. The loss of just three players can be worked with, WR Vargas was an overpaid backup to me, though he's concidered a top10 talent at his position. DE Doney was also an overpaid backup. Only FS Randall Smith will be missed, but Miller and McGhee, our FA pickups, should improve our secondary.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-15-2004 at 03:05 PM. Reason: solving a few spelling errors.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:11 AM   #118
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Lyon Riding Bench In 2005
Our sources report that the Merchantmen are seriously concidering to bench their first round quarterback Leonard Lyon for the 2005 season. As we understand, the management is concerned about the level of play the rookie linemen Brante Heinrich and Butch White will bring in. And with Causey out for the season, the team expects Lyon to hit more then 2 sack per game, even with the addition of Wilson Grimaldo and the presence of All IHOF second team tackle Harold Hurtado. It's also a common known fact that Justin McDavid, last season's starter, who recently singed a 5-year contract in Maassluis, is one of the best quarterbacks in the league in avoiding getting sacked. He should be able to do better behind a crappy pass protection. But what if McDavid breaks out and lives up to his rookie year stats? The Merchantmen have themselves locked in a quarterback controversy. Then again, they were the league's doormat in 2005 and they publically called their rookies Lyon, White and Heinrich second and third choices. We could see another year of a one-dimensional offense and a top ten defense in the heart of the World Port.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #119
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day News: Merchantmen Pick WR Henson At End Of Round 3
The management of the Maassluis Merchantmen is happy to announce the selection of wide receiver Devin Henson with the last pick on round three, the #96 overall. At the absence of general manager M.IJ.B. the team increased the number of wide receivers on roster to five. The selection of Henson could mean the last days of Arnulfo Arnett are counted. Henson is a return specialist who could also serve as a #4 wide receiver. Arnett became receivers leader after the trading of Frederic Vargas, yet who will take his place is yet to be seen. All IHOF tight end Jerry Aubrey is the experienced player on the group, but he is a typical sidekick player. With the selection of Henson, the Merchantmen have only two selections of their seven still on the board, being the #220 and #221 overall at the end of round seven.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #120
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Merchantmen GM Chickens Out Of Draft And Franchise?
Our sources report an upcoming coupe in the Merchantmen organization, especially general manager M.IJ.B.'s job could be at stake, after the Dutch IHOF team traded their remaining two draft selections in the seventh round for a sixth rounder from North Plainfield Plague in 2006. We have reason to believe that the Merchantmen general manager has lost the skill of hard negotiating and still getting a trade done, like the deals with Astoria Heroes to trade out of the #1 and #6 overall, the trade up from #14 to #6 overall and the trades with Paris Musketeers and Orlando Knights to get Wilson Grimaldo and Alvin Causey from the respective teams. The signals were clear when the Merchantmen traded their potential #1 overall in 2006 to get a powerless guard and when they convinced the Fairbanks Northstars to trade for the #32 overall, which was a huge win situation for the league champions. Some people already see a potential retirement coming up from one of the youngest general managers in the league after the 2005 season. M.IJ.B. has seen the failed negotiations to get All IHOF guard Gene Simmons from the Rochester Lake Monsters as his personal loss and has the team sadled up with a serious cap problem in the 2006 season. Besides the failed trade talks for Simmons, we also suspect that the plausible trade with San Antonio Volunteers is a key element in his stay. Also, M.IJ.B. renegotiated with so many players that the Merchantmen are paying an immense capital on signing boni. Even keeping the current Euro-Dollar exchange. We believe that the Merchantmen are doomed to be the league doormat for another year, have a new general manager by the end of the season and become a serious playoff contender by 2007 under the new command.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-15-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #121
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Deny Dismissal Of GM
The organization of the Maassluis Merchantmen want to explicitly deny a potential dismissal of their general manager after the 2005 season. General manager M.IJ.B. wants to make clear that the Gossip News, which spreads it's lies around at FOFC, know nothing about a potential change in the front office. M.IJ.B. reacts on the several implications.
2006 First Rounder - The trade was made in our confidence that we can be a contender in the 2005 season. If we win eight games, nobody will complain about the trade and the trade will be concidered a smart move, especially if Butch White turns into an impact offensive lineman.
Gene Simmons - It's no secret that we would love to see Gene Simmons play in orange-white-and-blue, but it just wasn't ment to be. We reached an impasse in three negotiations with the Lake Monsters and that was that. No hard feelings, they have the best lineman in the league and should get as much as possible for him. Besides, we got Alvin Causey and Butch White in stead.
Bad Draft - Hard to say. We lost the battle for J.J. Burroughs, but hardly can't blame ourselves other then not picking him #12 overall. Maybe we should have picked him at #6 or the original #14 overall, but we couldn't ignore the potential of Mario Hudson dropping and seeing a team come up with an offer you can't refuse. Wayne will help out team to shut out the opponent's receivers, Heinrich and White complete our offensive line and Leonard Lyon provides us a potential franchise quarterback. Devin Henson gives us a return specialist and put more pressure on Monti and Ewald after the trade of Vargas to do their best to earn the starting jobs.
Signing Boni - It's true that we pay a lot now, but next season we hardly have to pay singing boni as we have 49 players under contract, including the eight draft picks we have. We could trade picks to free cap space as well as lowering salaries. Remember that the 2006 cap hit is a product of double boni for a lot of players who had their contract end after 2006.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #122
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Draft Day News: Merchantmen Trade Back In
In an amazing move, the Maassluis Merchantmen acquired the #153 draft pick overall with the #151 on the clock in a huge trade with the Columbus Architects. The Merchantmen gave away 2006 draft picks for 2007 draft selections with the deal. The Architects get the first rounder from Astoria, as well as second rounders from Astoria and Vicksburg. In return, the Merchantmen got Columbus' first, second and third rounders, as well as the earlier mentioned #153 in the 2005 draft overall. The selection was announced shortly after, as Maassluis got running back Kyle Montoya from Arizona college. General manager M.IJ.B. was pleased: "We got a player worth trading down from a second to third round, while we also address our cap troubles for the 2006 season by pushing huge salaries to the future." It seems the Merchantmen are not done dealing picks, yet chances are slim they will be able to strike another deal. M.IJ.B. is expected to miss the remainder of the 2005 draft as he has planned a five-day-four-night vacation following the draft.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-18-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:56 PM   #123
MIJB#19
Coordinator

With the Merchantmen GM going off for a little break, the news around the team will be on hold.

But wait... there will be more. Soon!
Expect a more serious preseason review for our division rivals.
Predictions on the likely playoff contenders.
Smack talking towards the offseason rivals from Tucker, Bordeaux, Astoria and North Plainfield.
More on the Rochester-Maassluis friendship being in jeopardy due to failed negotiations.

More on the stars of the team:
All IHOF tight end Jerry Aubrey's upcoming retirement.
The continued undervaluing of IHOF Defensive Rookie of the Year Cody Cluff.
Wilson Grimaldo about Maassluis' trading.
The sacking desire of Charles Gomez and Harold Wells.
Deon Chapa meets his mentor Albert Bernardo.
Why 12th pick overall Tai Wayne is happy going overseas.
Why Wiley McGhee prefered Maassluis over a dozen other teams.
And why potential franchise quarterback Leonard Lyon is called "The Lion".

Answers on big questions like:
Will the Merchanmen have a team with enough skilled players?
Do the new staff members inject positive influences?
Will there be a better game plan then in 2004?
How will the post draft free agency period improve the Dutch IHOF franchise for the 2005 season?
Will 2005 be the season of progress?
And what will the 2006 season bring?
Will 2006 be the break out season?
And will the top players be brought back in 2007?

But the main cliffhangers will obviously be:
Is the front 7 mature enough to haunt the opposing quarterbacks?
Was the #1 overall pick really haunted?
Will Jim Reiser take All IHOFer Jerry Aubrey's starting role?
Will Bryce Ewald rebound from injuries and make an All IHOF performance?
Is Alvin Causey going to comeback strong and sign a long-term contract?
When will Gene Simmons finally get traded from Rochester to Maassluis?

And the most intrueging question of them all:
Who will be quarterbacking the Merchantman in 2005: "The Lion" or "Fumblin' Justin"?

Stay tuned, the first and most alive IHOF Dynasty will be back... In just 5 days!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-18-2004 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Because I can :)
Old 05-24-2004, 06:14 AM   #124
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Exclusive: Investigating The Divisional Rivals
With the draft finalised, the time has come to take a closer look to the three divisional rivals of the Merchantmen. We'll take a closer look to each team's situation.

Bordeaux Vineyards
Star Players: Safety Cecil McIver leads the defense, while popular fullback Thomas Boden is known for his allround skills.
Quarterback: Joe Johnson is a top QB and was a main reason for Bordeaux's division title in 2004.
Overall: Never change a winning team, Bordeaux kept their men on board and should be contenders for another 9-7 season.

Gothenburg Giants
Star Players: Cornerback Harley Gowan is a popular and elite corner, but the real stars of the team are the linebacking trio of Steven Marshall, Hubert Cox and Andrew McDaniel. And then there's DT Chris Nagel playing in front of them.
Quarterback: Duane Davis is a young and upcoming player and could breakout in 2005.
Overall: If QB Davis steps up, this team could be a true contender and be of 10-6 material.

Maassluis Merchantmen
Star Players: Harold Wells and Charles Gomez are promising defensive linemen, newbies Wilson Grimaldo and Alvin Causey are elite offensive linemen.
Quarterback: rookie Leonard Lyon looks like the new guy on the block, yet Justin McDavid is very popular.
Overall: With the QB situation unsettled and the OL still developing, this team with a potential top5 defense could be 6-10 this season.

Paris Musketeers
Star Players: New safety Edward Boatwright is good for fans and good play, while Adam Greer is the All IHOF selection on last year's strong offensive line.
Quarterback: "Super" Mario Hudson was draft #4 overall to get Paris in shape for 2007.
Overall: Paris is in rebuilding mode, a 4-12 record is a good indication of what they could be.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #125
Alf
Pro Starter

I agree on Gothenburg, Paris and Bordeaux but I see yourself on the contenders list to reach 8-8
Old 05-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #126
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
I agree on Gothenburg, Paris and Bordeaux but I see yourself on the contenders list to reach 8-8
I'd call it wishful thinking as of yet.

Really, I have the roster for it, but not the QB situation nor the game plan insight for it.
I believe in McDavid as a QB and Lyon could even be an improvement, but turnovers battlefield is cruel to young QBs...
The OL should be solid, the DL too, the LB team is above average and the secondary is also upgraded. Then there is the state of the art FB and TE situation with a decent RB and some talented leftovers at WR.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #127
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Irregular Interviewing With: Deon Chapa and Albert Bernardo
Hoek van Holland, Netherlands, the suburb of Rotterdam at the coast of the North Sea. Deon Chapa, defensive end playing for the Maassluis Merchantmen, drinks a diet coke, here called "cola light" as he stares at the beauty of the clouds over the sea. On his left sits a man of a dozen pounds less and a grey hair more. Albert Bernardo is the newest addition to the rising front seven on the Dutch franchise. Despite Bernardo's age and experience, Chapa is expected to sit ahead of Bernardo on the depth chart for the 2005 season. The second year player and the free agent addition join us in an exclusive double interview about their working together for the new season.
Q (Questioner) - Albert and Deon, you are playing the same position, yet only one of you will have the starting role on the opposite of the Merchantmen's sack machine Harold Wells. Who should we expect to make 10 sacks coming from the right side?
DC (Deon Chapa) - Well, I think who starts is up to the management, but I think we have a good group of ends to score a total of 25 sacks for the season from the ends alone.
AB (Albert Bernardo) - Looking to the potential at this franchise, with guys like Deon, Junior (McKeehan) and Harold (Wells), the opposing tackles will have a lot to do. And with pass rushers like Ellsworth Thelen and Mike Kershner behind the line, not to mention a monster like Charles Gomez from the tackle position, I see a potential for 40 sacks here.
Q - How big is the influence of the new players on the team, concidering the upgrade of the pass rush?
DC - Well, Ellsworth brings in 8.5 sacks and gives us two of the top 28 pass rushers in the league. Then there is Albert, a mentor type of guy. I think the other guys and me can learn a lot from him.
AB - Don't underestimate the presence of players on the other side of the ball. Justin McDavid is really tough to sack, while tackles like Wilson Grimaldo and Harold Hurtado bring some additional pressure to the training sessions.
Q - You named the two already, how does working with elite tackles as the likes of Harold Hurtado and Wilson Grimaldo improve your play?
AB - I think they bring the much needed competition young guys need. With respcet to the other guys, but Grimaldo is a top player at the rightside and Hurtado really earned the All IHOF second team honors.
DC - Definatly. Hurtado and Grimaldo bring so much more willingness to improve. Add up with Justin McDavid as the guy who can read any pass rush and scramble wild, and you have some serious practise.
Q - How big will the loss of Cecil Doney count?
DC - Well, he missed half of the 2004 season with injuries, but when he was around one could see how focused everyone was to retain their spots in the depth chart.
AB - I believe the rotation system worked well at the end of the season, when Doney returned. I've seen some tapes from last season. A bad sign is Doney being traded by the Astoria Heroes to the rivals from Paris. We suspect to avenge the sentiments built up by the trading of the draft picks at #1 and #6 overall...
Q - But with the Italian blood in the bodies of you two, avengence is just natural, no?
DC - I guess you watch too much mafia movies. Although I really liked the first two Godfather movies.
AB - Well, I think Deon is kinda like Robert DeNiro to me anyway. "Are you talking to me?" Then we laugh and carry on with walking all over Harold Hurtado.
Q - But seriously, does the Italian blood make you too grow to eachother or is the rivalry to play opposite Wells very big?
AB - The Merchantmen have a rotation system, guys like Junior McKeehan and I get plenty of playing time behind Deon and Harold (Wells). The defense is okay. Tai (Wayne) and Dennis (Preciado) stop the receivers, the safeties suppport where they can and the DL can completly focus on hitting that quarterback.
DC - 40 sacks, write it down. That's our over/under for the year. Let's show that Mario Hudson, Joe Johnson and Duane Davis what it feels like to be on your back all the time.
Q - Deon, you know your targets well already?
DC - The tapes of Hudson's last collegiate games are in. The team has scouted Hudson as a possible addition, so the material was here already. Johnson and Davis are familiar faces. But Hudson will be really surprised. With Grimaldo on our team, the Musketeers pass protection will have a big hole on the left side.
AB - Deon is so ready for the season. These guys want to get rid of the bad name. Being identified as part of a 1-15 team is something to get yourself motivated about.
Q - gentlemen, we thank you for your team and wish the Merchantmen a lot of success in the upcoming season.
AB - "Gern Geschehen", or is that German?
DC - Albert still has something to learn here. You wrote the 40 sacks down, right?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-25-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #128
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Sign Seven Players
The Merchantmen management is happy to announce the conclusion of contract negotiations with four of six draft selections. Cornerback Tai Wayne, guard Butch White, receiver Devin Henson and running back Kyle Montoya signed five-year, five-year, four-year and three-year contracts respectively. Additional, the Merchantmen signed two free agents to two-year contracts in running back Kennedy Colwell and linebacker Mitch Groh, while cornerback Steven Davis signed a one-year contract. Sadly, negotiations with center Brant Heinrich and quarterback Leonard Lyon were put on hold as both players refused to sign five-year cotracts. The Merchantmen management want to address the fans not to make much of the refusal to sign, we believe that the two players have a hard time finding the motivation to play for the worst team in the league. They just need some additional convincing words from the other star players signed this offseason, Wilson Grimaldo and Butch White.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #129
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Rookie Devin Henson Impressing In Mini Camp
In early mini camps, wide receiver Devin Henson is living up to more then expected for the Maassluis Merchantmen. General manager M.IJ.B. was quoted to be very pleased so far, saying "We primairily drafted him to take kickoff return duties and early signs tell us he's potentially a top ten player in that specialism." On another front, guard Butch White is expected to be a premier run blocker and cornerback Tai Wayne was quoted as being "the best zone defender Dutch football fans will ever see" by head coach Leroy Van der Woude. With these improvements, the day for Arnulfo Arnett to say goodbye is getting closer and closer. Which also leaves a big question mark for who will replace Frederic Vargas as the leader of the receivers. Jerry Aubrey and Bryce Ewald are the big names, but neither seems to have the leadership for it.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:17 PM   #130
Alf
Pro Starter

Why do you write your nickname M. IJ. B and not M.I.J.B. ?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:30 AM   #131
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Why do you write your nickname M. IJ. B and not M.I.J.B. ?
Because my initials are M. IJ. B. and not M. I. J. B.
The IJ combination stands for IJsbrand, a very uncommon first name. The name starts with a letter unique to the Dutch language, the y with dots, which makes it look like an ij combination.
I'm proud of having that name, yet even Dutch organizations have a hard time recognizing our language's unique character as something official.
In my daily life, I've seen my initials as M.Y.B., as M.I.B. and even M.I.J.B., but the only correct way to write them is M.IJ.B., which is what I will use any day of my life.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #132
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Comparing 2004 Starters With Projected 2005 Starters

Backfield
Quarterback
2004: Justin McDavid
2005: Leonard Lyon/Justin McDavid
Running Back
2004: Randy Harris
2005: Randy Harris
Fullback
2004: Vincent Lopez
2005: Mark Burger/Vincent Lopez
Overall improvement: Stay Put (The QB situation is scary, but is potantially stronger; Harris should be improved a bit; Burger should be as good as Lopez was; overall, the fumbling problem should be resolved for the most)

Receivers
Tight End
2004: Jerry Aubrey
2005: Jim Reiser/Jerry Aubrey
Flanker
2004: Gregory Monti
2005: Gregory Monti
Split End
2004: Bryce Ewald
2005: Bryce Ewald
Overall Improvement: Stay Put (Reiser is projected to do better then All IHOFer Aubrey, but not yet; Monti and Ewald return from injuries, but could have improved; overall this group should be as good as the 2004 group with top backup Frederic Vargas not replaced with likewise talent)

Offensive Line
Left Tackle
2004: Harold Hurtado
2005: Harold Hurtado
Left Guard
2004: David Burdett
2005: Butch White
Center
2004: Tom Schwartz
2005: Brant Heinrich/Tom Schwartz
Right Guard
2004: Albert Young
2005: Albert Young/David Burdett/Russell Malave
Right Tackle
2004: Russell Malave
2005: Wilson Grimaldo
Overall Improvement: Upgraded (White and Heinrich should be at least as good as the 2004 starters; Grimaldo is the big factor of immediate impact on the line; with Causey out for most of the year, the right guard spot is up for grabs; Overall the line should be stronger, better in protecting the QB and supporting the ball carriers)

Defensive Line
Left End
2004: Harold Wells
2005: Harold Wells
Left Tackle
2004: Charles Gomez
2005: Charles Gomez
Right Tackle
2004: John Bryant
2005: John Bryant
Right End
2004: Deon Chapa
2005: Deon Chapa
Overall Improvement: Upgraded (All four starters are young and should have improved a lot after a year as a starter; Overall the group is the same with mentor Bernardo replacing banged-up Doney)

Linebackers
Strong Side
2004: Britt Silvan
2005: Ellsworth Thelen
Middle
2004: Cody Cluff
2005: Cody Cluff
Weak Side
2004: Mike Kershner
2005: Mike Kershner
Overall Improvement: Upgraded (Thelen is a big upgrade over Silvan; Cluff and Kershner were top rookies and should be a lot better in 2005; Overall this group should be better then last year)

Secondary
Left Corner
2004: Dennis Preciado
2005: Dennis Preciado
Strong Safety
2004: Lincoln Gilmore
2005: Wiley McGhee
Free Safety
2004: Randall Smith
2005: Percy Francis/Richard Muller
Right Corner
2004: C.J. Schwartz
2005: Tai Wayne
Overall Improvement: Upgraded (The safeties could be little better then last year's starters, despite their maturity; Tai Wayne should be an imediate upgrade over last year's starter; Overall, Smith will be really missed, but having two worthy corners and another veteran at strong safety should make this group better, especially in depth)

Special Teams
Punter
2004: Ricardo Corales
2005: Ricardo Corales
Kicker
2004: Cary Coles
2005: Cary Coles
Punt Returner
2004: Randall Smith
2005: Raul Marshall
Kickoff Returner
2004: Dennis Preciado
2005: Devin Henson
Overall Improvement: Stay Put (Corrales is as good as he was; Coles should improve a bit; Smith will be missed as punt returner; Henson is a quality kickoff returner; Oter duties should see little change; Overall the special teams unit still needs some improvement)

Team Overall Impression
Backfield: Stay Put
Receivers: Stay Put
Offensive Line: Upgraded
Defensive Line: Upgraded
Linebackers: Upgraded
Secondary: Upgraded
Special Teams: Stay Put
Overall Offense: Upgraded (Especially RT Grimaldo should bring in some additional skill on the offense)
Overall Defense: Big Upgrade (With Thelen, Wayne and McGhee this side of the ball got better, while the expected improvement of others should make this a much better defense)
Team Overall: Upgraded (The QB situation remians scary, but the passing offense wasn't crappy at all; the rushing offesne should be better then last year, especially with less fumbles; the pass rush is expected to be better; the rushing defense should be better with a more mature front7 and supporting acts improved; the decent pass defense could be better with Wayne in, but Smith out could mean a downgrade; Overall the team is stronger and a 1-15 season like in 2004 should be very unlikely)
Old 05-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #133
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Unveil Website
Despite the non existence of desire to see it come alive, the Maassluis Merchantmen management is proud to announce the acquisition of an internet web space for the team. Merchantmen.Defense.Com will be brought to life in a few days, yet the possible content of the site is far from clear. The managament can't confirm or deny the potential end of the Dynasty Report at FOFC.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-01-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #134
Kodos
Resident Alien

The rare link to the current thread trick!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #135
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
The rare link to the current thread trick!
Well, over at the IHOF Forum it links to this thread.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:37 AM   #136
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Get Ready For Training Camp
With the addition of rookie free agent cornerbacks Sammie Hernandez and Desmond Craig, tight end Charlie Martins, defensive tackle Cornelius Farr and wide receiver/return specialist Lonnie O'Reilley, the roster for the Merchantmen looks complete. With 67 players signed and offers sent out to first round draft picks quarterback Leonard Lyon and center Brant Heinrich. Especially the addition of Hernandez was called a great deal, according to general manager M.IJ.B.: "We opted to trade into the draft to get Sammie Hernandez, he was our second option with the pick we used on Kyle Montoya. Now we are just glad to have gotten him afterall." As odd as it may seem, all five rookie free agent additions have a decent shot at making the roster. M.IJ.B.: "We don't sign guys to fill out the roster, they should be potential improvements. That's why we offer two-year contracts." Martins should be a decent third stringer tigh end, Farr is talented run stuffer, Hernandez is an option as nickel or dime back, Craig is an interception specialist and O'Reilley a return duties backup. After camp, nine players will be cut by the management, yet they are not willing to call out names. However, with the latest rookies and second-year free agents added, some players are aware of their future, especially running back Kyle Page, tight end Ethan Winfield, receiver/returner Arnulfo Arnett, guard Darrin Nellums, tackle Jeff Fontenot, defensive tackle Andrew King, linebacker Britt Silvan and several cornerbacks. M.IJ.B.: "Yes, we have eight cornerbacks signed and all have a shot at making the roster, based on their camp performance." Two players were said goodbye today as running back Seth Kinney and defensive end Geoff Lake are free agents and were not resigned for training camp.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:09 AM   #137
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Merchantmen To Cut Arnett, Young, Kesler
The Gossip News has acquired an exclusive list with nine names of the players who will be cut by the Maassluis Merchantmen at the 60-men roster preseason deadline. Prominent names on the list are Arnulfo Arnett, the leader of the receivers and kickoff return specialist, Albert Young, who started 10 games at right guard in 2004 and Roy Kesler, a second-year running back with a "Dutch name", which is what some fans liked about the free agent signing. We also hear rookie linebacker Mitch Groh is set to be waived, despite a 100 thousand dollar signing bonus for a two-year contract. Other players listed as casualties are tackle Willie Dudley, who was 2-on-2 in key run blocks in 2004, guard Darrin Nellums, safety Graham Stevens and cornerbacks Steven Davis and Zack Kinney, who had 2 forced fumbles, 2 passes defended and 22 tackles in the 2004 season. The Merchantmen management was not willing to comment on the issue, saying the players who will be cut have not yet been informed. Yet, we believe the list is reliable and our experts think it's an accurate assumption. Of the players for the second wace of releases, when another seven players will be cut, the names are still a secret, yet we think third-year safety John Cole and especially defensive front leader Andrew King will be the prominent casualties.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:20 PM   #138
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Release Seven Players
The Merchantmen management is dissapointed to have to announce the termination of contracts for seven players after training camp to get the roster down to the preseason requirement of 60 players. Some were expected cuts, others were emotional goodbyes to players with mixed roles in the 2004 season. The seven players are: Arnulfo Arnett, Steven David, Willie Dudley, Mitch Groh, Roy Kesler, Zack Kinney, Darrin Nellums, Graham Stevens and Albert Young. The reasons of release per player are a bit different, but we wish all seven good luck in their remaining careers and hope to see them find a new team in the IHOF.

Exclusive: Reasoning Behind Pre-Preseason Cuts
Today, we let go of seven players. Although they are in the same boat, reasoning behind the cuts are different for every one of them. We'll try to run down the situations player by player.

Wide receiver Arnulfo Arnett was not expected to be a first or second stringer as wide receiver. We projected him as second kickoff returner, but we think that's not enough to earn a roster spot for another year.

Cornerback Steven David has the skills to become a 53-men roster cornerback in the future, specifically in intercepting passes and his stamina, but his lack of talent in other areas compared to other cornerbacks, Davis had no shot at making the roster.

Tackle Willie Dudley was 2-on-2 on key run blocks, but also allowed 2 sacks in his limited playing time. Dudley is a young tackle and we regret splitting him and his buddy Russell Malave, but Dudley showed too little progress over camp to keep him around as fifth tackle. With his size and potential as run blocker we think he could contribute as a backup in a few years in the IHOF, but with our project Leonard Lyon we can't have too much linemen who can't protect the passer.

Linebacker Mitch Groh showed he's a potential roster player, even a backup, but lost out on the hard competition with other outside linebackers acquired this offseason and kept from last season. Groh will walk away with a big signing bonus and even cost us cap space this and next season.

Running Back Roy Kesler has been unlucky as he was part of six players at the running back position with four of them pretty similiar in talent. Eventually the least experienced had to go and with his Dutch blood this really is a dissapointing move. We suspect that if we hadn't drafted Montoya and won the bidding war on Colwell, Kesler had made the roster as a future project on the inactive roster. We hope to see him set foot on land in the USA, getting a new job in the IHOF as a player,

Cornerback Zack Kinney has emerged as a hard hitting corner, who forced 2 fumbles, defended 2 passes and made 22 tackles in 2004. Kinney was a victim of the big competition at the cornerback position and lost out on his level of development. Kinney seems to have the potential for making a 53-men roster, but has to learn a lot more to be able to get there.

Guard Darrin Nellums has been an interesting player with his size, yet the addition of Butch White and Alvin Causey forced us to make room at the guard position. We wish Nellums the best of luck, but fear he will never be an IHOF player again.

Safety Graham Stevens had no chance making the roster at the safety position after we acquired two aged veterans during the off season. Stevens lost the battle with John Cole as the fifth satefy going into the preseason.

Guard Albert Young was a starter last year in 10 games, but missed 6 due to injuries. Young didn't have the stats to prove he's worth another year of starting and we will likely step to tackle Russell Malave or guard Devin McDaniel as the new right guard until Alvin Causey has recovered. We think Young is big and strong enough to get another chance in a training camp next season elsewhere in the league to earn a roster spot.

For the second wave of cuts, it depends on injuries and preseason performance but more then likely the seven casualties will be found at the following positions: quarterback, running back, tight end, center, defensive tackle, cornerback and safety.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-30-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #139
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Pre Season Game One Preview
Tomorrow, the Maassluis Merchantmen will play the San Luis Obispo Burn in their first pre season game, in Maassluis at 17:00 hours local time. What makes this game interesting is that the Merchantmen were the worst team in the Atlantic Ocean Conference, while the Burn were the worst team in the North American Conference with a 3-13 record. Who will be playing for San Luis Obispo is yet to be seen, though there are rumors that #2 draft pick defensive end Peter Hutton will not play in the Oranje Haven, as won't other stars, like Mark STenson and Bryan Smith, on Coach of the Year Steven Marble's team. However, the Merchantmen management wants to make clear to the fans that the best team possible will be lined up for the first quarter as a tribute to the loyal fans in Maassluis. For the remaining games, the team opts to only play potential victims for the 53-men roster cuts, play young players and make injured players and top players inactive. General manager M.IJ.B.: "We figured we have to offer the fans a look at what our team will look like. That's the least we can do after the dissapointing season we had last year. We hope to see the game go by injury free." The sun is expected to shine and the temperature will be manageble for four hours of American style entertainment in the heart of The World's Biggest Harbor.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:08 PM   #140
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Maassluis Versus San Luis Obispo Recap
The game made up for a close matchup between each conference's worst team. The San Luis Obispo Burn moved to the Netherlands for the first time ever to play the Maassluis Merchantmen in an exciting matchup. Both teams have drafted intrueging prospects at quarterback in the 2005 draft and the game showed some big excitement. The visiting team managed to take the lead midway the first quarter and expanded to 17-0 in the second quarter with touchdown passes from Victor Whyte and rookie Curtis Corbett. Maassluis' fan favorite and backup quarterback Justin McDavid connected with Bryce Ewald to get the home team at least competitive for the game. In the third quarter, McDavid marched the Merchantmen to 14-17 and a fieldgoal from Cary Coles (he went one-out-of-three for the day) tied the score early in the fourth. The Burn seemed to have clinched a victory with five minutes left on a 40-yard run for a score from Phil Dorsett, but Gregory Monti caught his second touchdown for the day from another McDavid pass with just over a minute left to tie the score at 24-24. In overtime neither team got a real chance, until Justin McDavid threw an interception with less then 2 minutes left in overtime. Eventually the game ended in the dying seconds as Kelly Prior kicked a 36-yard fieldgoal to hand the Burn a preseason victory. The loss marked the Merchantmen's first home loss in a preseason game since the start of the IHOF. In 2004, the Merchantmen went 2-0 at home.
Merchantmen starting rookie quarterback Leonard Lyon went 6-for-7 and 59 yards for the game, while Justin McDavid completed 24 of 37 for 331 yards, 3 scores and 1 turnover being the overtime interception. Gregory Monti caught 7 passes for 134 yards and 2 scores. Harold Wells excelled on defense with 2 sacks, 2 quarterback hurries and 7 tackles. But, the MVP award went to San Luis Obispo quarterback Curtis Corbett, who completed 13 of 20 passes for 134 yards and a touchdown.
For Maassluis, next up are the Minnesota Miners on the road. Last season, the Merchantmen went there on a regular season game, being handed the biggest loss in franchise history at 13-33 with quarterback Jason Gott acting like a god.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:15 AM   #141
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Quarterback Controversy Heating Up
Leonard Lyon has the name, but Justin McDavid has the heart of a lion. The 27-24 overtime loss against the San Luis Obispo Burn provided more food for discussion. Lyon completed 6 of 7 passes on 2 drives and 3 plays, but left the field as the Merchantmen were trailing 0-17. McDavid stepped up to lead the home team back in the game with 3 touchdowns, yet tossed an interception in overtime, which set up the eventual game ending fieldgoal in the last seconds of the game. The discussion keeps going and Lyon showed his skill, but McDavid saved the day, only to waste it once again. Fact is, the fans love Fumblin Justin, independant of his turnovers. Fact is, Lyon is a first round draft pick, the management need to let him play. Inside the team, players know that McDavid set some interesting passing records as a rookie and managed top 10 league performance wide in touchdowns on a 1-15 team. Rumors are both quaterbacks will remina active for the duration of the preseason to prove their skill, unlike last season when McDavid was inactived and called the starter, despite not having shown anything. Now, Lyon has showed his skill and looks better then the 2004 McDavid, yet he's fighting the pressure from the fans. Elsewhere, fellow rookie quarterback and #4 pick Mario Hudson went 5-for-10 and seems to have already lost the battle for the starting job. We at Gossip News still expect to see Lyon riding the bench until the last six games of the season, when the Merchantmen get their interesting schedule of 5 home games in 35 days. Next up is a road game in Minnesota. Last season, McDavid got humiliated there, this is the #1 opportunity for Lyon to rub it. If Lyon throws a touchdown pass and keeps away from the turnover battle field, the guy with the lionheart could be the 2005 backup of the real Lyon.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #142
wade moore
lolzcat

Fans Demonstrate Support for Fumblin Justin

A recent demonstration outside of MIJB's main office, showed that the fans really do support McDavid. According to local sources, there is a local effort to get McDavid the starting job no matter what it takes. Reports are that Lyon has received threats and offers of money to intentionally not play well.

McDavid fan club president wade moore stated, "Justin is the best Quarterback in the IHOF, hands down." When probed about his propensity to fumble the ball, moore's cell phone appeared to have lost it's signal.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #143
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Fans Demonstrate Support for Fumblin Justin

A recent demonstration outside of MIJB's main office, showed that the fans really do support McDavid. According to local sources, there is a local effort to get McDavid the starting job no matter what it takes. Reports are that Lyon has received threats and offers of money to intentionally not play well.

McDavid fan club president wade moore stated, "Justin is the best Quarterback in the IHOF, hands down." When probed about his propensity to fumble the ball, moore's cell phone appeared to have lost it's signal.

The Merchantmen management wants the fans to know that the starting job will be reveiled after the last preseason game.

Exclusive GM Notes
Leonard Lyon is scouted higher then McDavid in both current and future potential, but the gut feeling of this GM still goes with McDavid as long as Lyon hasn't developed a little bit more.
The OL is not completly built yet and having a young QB with a shaky OL sounds risky. Plus, McDavid is the #1 sack avoider in the league, which makes up for a good fill in. And with his stats (barring interceptions), he can be a productive passer with (scouted as) good receivers.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #144
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Minnesota Miners Humiliate Merchantmen
The Maassluis Merchantmen management want to make sure that the 30-0 trashing loss at the Minnesota Miners means very little. The Miners were at full strenght, while the Merchantmen were continuesly switching players and kept most of the stars off the field. The whole game was something to forget as soon as possible. Next up are the Asheville Axemen, on another road game.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:17 AM   #145
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Raul Marshall Up For Trading
The Merchantmen keep it unconfirmed, but the news is that league wide teams are looking for a good #3 wide receiver and it is no secret that the Merchantmen management have been keen on Gregory Monti and Bryce Ewald from day one. Earlier victims have been Amos Collins (traded to Rochester Lake Monsters for All IHOF Second Team Tackle Harold Hurtado) and Frederic Vargas (the speedy Vargas was essentially traded to North Plainfield Plague for the #14 pick in the 2004 draft). Marshall is inked in as the backup to Gregory Monti and with Devin Henson and return specialist Lonnie O'Reilley. Additionally, the Merchantmen are expected to go into the season with ten defensive backs signed, meaning they need to open up roster spots at other positions. Also the names of backup tight ends Ethan Winfield and rookie longsnapper specialist Charlie Martins have been called out to be up for trade at the end of preseason. Marshall seems to keep it cool so far, yet we expect some struggling when the season is underway, with Marshall widely scouted as the better receiver then Monti. Problem is that Monti has taken a leadership role in the receivers corpse after the departure of Vargas and Arnulfo Arnett. This preseason, Marshall had 4 receptions for 73 yards against San Luis Obispo and 1 reception for no gain against Minnesota. In the 2004 season, Marshall had just 11 receptions for 141 yards and 1 touchdown.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #146
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Lose In Overtime Again
The preseason is supposed to show what teams are capable of. If that's true, the Merchantmen have shown they can comeback in games and manage to lose afterall. For the second time in three games, the Maassluis Merchantmen had a close game tied up at the end of the fourth quarter, only to lose in overtime. This time around, on the road at the Anaheim Matterhorns, the Merchantmen managed to keep level with their opponents in a game where all the scores were within the last 6 minutes of each half. Cary Coles' game tying field goal was scored in the last seconds of the game. Third string quarterback Antoine Shepherd seems to have saved his job with a marvelous 10-of-11 for 111 yards. Justin McDavid kept his fans hoping for the starting job, extending his preseason turnover record to 1 turnover in three games and 81 ball touches. McDavid ranks 4th in passing yards, tied for 2nd in touchdowns and 2nd in least intercepted qualifying passers in the preseason. McDavid was quoted: "We know what we can do, we can be competitive any day. I think the team is getting ready for some exciting season." And on the starting job: "Leonard will be a great passer in a few years." The Dutch IHOF team sits at 0-3 now, yet the two overtime games, one with the best against the best from San Luis Obispo and one with the reserves against Anaheim, those give hope for better. The management want to let the fans know that in the last preseason game, at home against the Columbus Architects, the more then likely starters for the 2005 season will be starting.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:05 PM   #147
wade moore
lolzcat

Justin Fan Club Newsletter

Hello fello fans!

As you have probably seen in the papers, we will find out what Quarterback will be starting next game agains Colombus. This game is at home. I am urging all ticket holders to be prepared to boycott. If our man Justin is not starting, then we will not attend! No concession money, parking money, or souvenir money from us! We'll show that team that Justin deserves to start!
Old 06-05-2004, 06:22 AM   #148
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Fumblin Justin Up For Trades?
Anonymus sources report that the Maassluis Merchantmen have started shopping around backup quarterback and fan attracter Justin McDavid. The quarterback issue with Leonard Lyon and Justin McDavid as the potential starters has reached a climax as the Merchantmen management have basically announced to unveil the starting role in the exhibition home game against the Columbus Architects. Names of teams as potential trade partners have been hard to get, but we are pretty sure that talks involve some teams with no quality quarterback as of yet. Right now, there are rumors on about seven teams being in negotiations: Boston, Boulder, Fairbanks, Fort Worth, Georgia, Orlando and Vicksburg. Additionally, the Merchantmen management has been caught in an extended phone call with the Paris Musketeers management and extended talking over the internet with the North Plainfield Plague management. The Merchantmen management are obviously denying this story as Justin McDavid is very popular and the fans won't buy a departure. McDavid was quoted saying: "I heard nothing about a trade. I concider myself a starter here, there are hardly other teams where I could start in this league. I'm not going anywhere." We know for sure something is going on in Maassluis. We also hear that Raul Marshall is going to be to a better team after the preseason. Gossip News will keep you informed on the situation.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-05-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:33 AM   #149
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Fumblin Justin Suspended?
The news on Justin McDavid is getting more and more interesting. We now here that Justin McDavid might be inactivated for the Columbus exhibition game later today. McDavid commented on possible trade talks to our reporters and now the Merchantmen management seem to concider suspending McDavid over that for the game. More and more, we are hearing that the quarterback situation in Maassluis is heading towards Leonard Lyon. Statistical analysis shows that Lyon performed on par or better in the preseason, except that he has more trouble when he is pressured by opposing defensive linemen. Especially the game against San Luis Obispo and Minensota, with top of the league defensive lines, have shown that Lyon can get things done, but only if tackles like Hurtado and Grimaldo are in-form. More and more, we are leaning towards Boulder Blizzard as McDavid's new home. However, Boulder has officially shown their interest in the 2005 draft first round quarterbacks class. Also, our cap management specialists tell us that trading Justin McDavid opens up about 300 thousand dollars of cap space for the 2006 season for the Merchantmen, which is just enough to replace him with a free agent rookie on the 53-man roster. But that could be resolved if the Merchantmen indeed trade away Raul Marshall, which would save about 700 thousand dollars in cap space for the 2006 season. And some newer rumor is that the Merchantmen are already concidering to make injured guard Alvin Causey their franchise player in the 2006 pre-season. And yet another big item is that All IHOF tight end Jerry Aubrey is about to be benched in favor of Jim Reiser, who has made a huge impact in the preseason thusfar. Gossip News will keep you updated on the McDavid soap.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-05-2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:48 AM   #150
wade moore
lolzcat

Crazed Fans Burn MIJB in Effejy

The quarterback situation in Massluis just got stranger. The president of the Justin McDavid fan club, wade moore, was arrested today. He was caught fleeing from the scene of MIJB's office where he and other members of the fan club set fire to a stuffed dumby with MIJB across the front in spray paint. wade moore was quoted as saying, "he doesn't know who he's messing with here." moore could face up to 30 days in prison. This makes the situation even more interesting since McDavid is expected to be long gone by the time the prison sentence is over.