Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #51
CraigSca
Pro Starter

And the winner is....N.C. State.

Btw - I think our linebackers coach will be happy with this young man - Herman Sanderson, ILB. He's a 93-rated junior. Files to be uploaded to the web site within a few minutes...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #52
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
And the winner is....N.C. State.

Btw - I think our linebackers coach will be happy with this young man - Herman Sanderson, ILB. He's a 93-rated junior. Files to be uploaded to the web site within a few minutes...
And don't forget a happy D-Coordinator. =)
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #53
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Craig:

Can you give a little more direction about exactly what the role of each coach will be? As RB coach, which of the following am I responsible for recommending?

RB Depth Chart
RB Time Management
RB Recruiting
RB Coaching Blocks
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #54
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

My guess is that you guys will be giving us a heads up on what recruits you're interested in. We would then evaluate them, decide how to spend our phone calls, visit dollars, etc.

I think me and WSU will also try to be a 'voice of reason,' in terms of telling us when we probably need to drop out of the contest on certain guys, etc.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #55
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm thinking the first season will certainly be a work in progress, so this may evolve over time. However, here's how I see the first week going.

Postion coaches go over their players strengths and weakness and work with their coordinators to develop the offensive and defensive formations. I would suggest we pick a scheme that would involve everyone (i.e. an offensive scheme where we can both pass and run, rather than a single back or something).

Once a scheme has been put together, position coaches go over their depth chart and make recommendations for the # of players needed to recruit to their coordinator. Coordinators then finalize their wishlist # of recruits at each position to be approved by the HC. (this will be done pretty quickly, I like to delegate as much as possible)

Once positions and #'s at each have been approved, position coaches and recruiting coordinators work together to come up with a target list. House rules of 1 visit and 1 call per week will apply.

Position coaches make recommendations to their coordinator regarding time blocks for extra coaching, as well as coming up with a time management scheme. Also, I'd like to see a list of recommended redshirts. (as you can see, I will rely on my coordinators a lot - I will need them to be available)

Once the scheme has been put together, position coaches recommend depth charts to coordinators.

Coordinators develop a gameplan based on their position coaches input (I expect an active dialog between the position coaches and their coordinators in the thread) as well as our scouting department. These game plans will be pretty much rubber stamped by yours truly.

Basically, I see the process as this: HC relies heavily on the coordinators, who rely heavily on the position coaches. All the while, recruiting coordinators offer advice on prospects they've found, their recommendations on recruits found by others as well as recommend new scouts when there are vacancies.

The first week may be a slow one, as their is a lot to do. Once we get rolling, however, we should be able to move at a fairly good clip.

I think this group think will only be fun if everyone feels they make a contribution and are heard. Therefore, I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion and active participation .
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #56
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

will the files be up tonight? I just installed the patch and I'm revved up and ready.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #57
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Our Groupthink Files

I THINK these are the files. Someone give them a shot and let me know if they work. Unfortunately, it seems that you will need my city data files, bowl files, etc (I based this by looking at the TCY VC Indiana series of files), so it may wipe out your existing dynasties . Let me know if anyone knows an easier method and/or if all these files are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Edit: Note that I added the zipped file to my signature for instant access.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-16-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #58
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I'm an N.C. State alum, so this will be an enjoyable experience for me. I expect this to be a much tougher challenge with the TCY upgrade.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #59
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Wow. I haven't played in a long time, and it's like system shock looking at this game again. I have to re-adjust.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #60
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Our Groupthink Files

I THINK these are the files. Someone give them a shot and let me know if they work. Unfortunately, it seems that you will need my city data files, bowl files, etc (I based this by looking at the TCY VC Indiana series of files), so it may wipe out your existing dynasties . Let me know if anyone knows an easier method and/or if all these files are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Edit: Note that I added the zipped file to my signature for instant access.
Yeah I've never done this before. Do you just replace your current files?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #61
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm thinking you just put these in your universe directory. I was hoping that you could just put the files with the "55"s in the directory (as they are the saved game), but the VC Indiana team included all the "frfoot" files as well, so I assume you need them. The frfoot files contain such things as the city data, team names, saved file names, etc.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-16-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #62
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

I just copied my files and put them on my desktop and then placed your files in the directory. It loaded all of your previous dynasties.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 PM   #63
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah....the saved game file has the new reference as well as all my old saved game references. What I'll do is delete all my previously saved games for the next go-round, so all you'll have is the one N.C. State reference.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #64
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ok, the new file has been uploaded. This one only includes the current N.C. State files. Obviously, you can use the same link as before.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:46 PM   #65
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the first major decision we need to make is what to do with the base offense. Our O-coordinator has been running a Trips offense for 5 years. The guy frankly sucks, so I imagine we'll be trying *very* hard to replace him next year.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #66
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I think the first major decision we need to make is what to do with the base offense. Our O-coordinator has been running a Trips offense for 5 years. The guy frankly sucks, so I imagine we'll be trying *very* hard to replace him next year.

I'm only the LB coach , but my preference would be to eventually work toward a fairly balanced offense out of the I or single-back.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #67
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Lovely. I deleted all my other saved game files to create this "clean" install. Now, when I try to load TCY it says my installation is corrupted and that I need to install the CDROM. Wonderful. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Anyone wanna download the current files and let me know if you have the same problem? I swear all I did was use the "delete saved game" within the game itself.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 PM   #68
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
I'm only the LB coach , but my preference would be to eventually work toward a fairly balanced offense out of the I or single-back.

I have no real thoughts on the future of the offense (not my job anyway), but my gut feeling would be to stick with the trips formation this year in order to maximize our year 1 success (and future recruting abilities). Still though, I concede that this is not my decision to make, and I'll gladly defer to the offensive staff.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #69
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Lovely. I deleted all my other saved game files to create this "clean" install. Now, when I try to load TCY it says my installation is corrupted and that I need to install the CDROM. Wonderful. Guess I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Anyone wanna download the current files and let me know if you have the same problem? I swear all I did was use the "delete saved game" within the game itself.
I downloaded the most recent zip file with the NCState save only...and it worked for me.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #70
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I opened up the zip, dumped it in the universe directory, and loaded up the newest career. Everything is working fine for me.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #71
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Oh. Ok, I downloaded the new files (with only the NC State save game), and everything is working fine.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM   #72
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well, for whatever reason I rebooted and it works now. That never happened to me before. Go figure, but I'm back in business over here.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:05 PM   #73
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, for whatever reason I rebooted and it works now. That never happened to me before. Go figure, but I'm back in business over here.
Sweet ...I didn't want to lose Sanderson...haha
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #74
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have no real thoughts on the future of the offense (not my job anyway), but my gut feeling would be to stick with the trips formation this year in order to maximize our year 1 success (and future recruting abilities). Still though, I concede that this is not my decision to make, and I'll gladly defer to the offensive staff.

That's a good point, CT. We'll have to weigh the perceived value (has anyone ever quantified that?) of staying with the Trips vs. optimizing for our particular personnel. Admittedly, I haven't looked at how our personnel matches up with a particular formation/scheme, but I'll be relying on our coordinators for that .
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 PM   #75
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Sweet ...I didn't want to lose Sanderson...haha

Haha! Yep, I just checked (to be sure). He's still there
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:09 PM   #76
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, the QB coach has a pretty tough decision to make, IMHO.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM   #77
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Check out Miami's roster...12 rated excellent or above, including two DEs, a WR and a RB. Fortunately 8 of them will be graduating this year .
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-16-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 PM   #78
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

***Defensive position coaches...not sure who the final list is at this point.***

My initial thoughts by just looking at the depth we have at DT is to go 3-4 this year. The 3-4 defense isn't my favorite D on the planet...but this year it looks like the way to go.

Please give me your input on everything as far as base defense...style (ie cover 2...man to man...zone...attacking)...recruiting needs. I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #79
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man, the QB coach has a pretty tough decision to make, IMHO.

Wow, you're right. Kenny Spragan looks like he has more upside, especially in the short passing game while Arnold Dudzik is the big bomb guy. Justin Amaya isn't on their level in the passing game, but does show value as a good scrambler. Meanwhile, Leslie Harper's future estimate isn't very impressive while his green bars are.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 PM   #80
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Wow, you're right. Kenny Spragan looks like he has more upside, especially in the short passing game while Arnold Dudzik is the big bomb guy. Justin Amaya isn't on their level in the passing game, but does show value as a good scrambler. Meanwhile, Leslie Harper's future estimate isn't very impressive while his green bars are.

Maybe red-shirting one of the juniors would be best? Again, real tough decision there though. I imagine the decision regarding the future of the offense will impact it. I could get behind any 3 of those upperclassmen as starters.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:31 PM   #81
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm about to head to bed. My quick look at the roster tells me that DT and Guard are probably top recruiting priorities. CB doesn't look to be too far behind. I'll take a much deeper look tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:37 PM   #82
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Please give me your input on everything as far as base defense...style (ie cover 2...man to man...zone...attacking)...recruiting needs. I'm open to all suggestions.

Just took a look at the secondary.

It seems as if a man defense would play to our strengths most, as most of our projected starters are better at man than at zone. A cursory glimpse at the linebackers seems to back that up - but talk to the LB coach for more info.

As for recruiting, I need more manpower at corner. Assuming we redshirt one of our three true seniors at the position, we'll still be reduced to starting a junior walk-on with only good potential next season. We're better at safety, with two sophomores waiting in the wings to pick up when the upperclassmen leave.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 PM   #83
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel

As for recruiting, I need more manpower at corner.

I don't disagree. I think DT, G, and CB are at a 'critical' level.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #84
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Tred,

I just looked at the secondary as well and I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, like many other positions, there's a huge fall-off after this senior year. I think we're going to have a tough time in season 2.
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #85
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Looking at the OL, we're pretty well set at guard and center for this year. The tackles are inexperienced, but they can be good. I will definitly want one guard for next season that can start as a FR. If possible, also a C or another G that I can redshirt for a year.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #86
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The #32 recruit in the country (and #1 cornerback) just happens to be living 100 miles from Raleigh. How convenient! (of course, he has a "terrible" attitude and his biggest weakness is man-to-man coverage, so this isn't a no-brainer).
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:47 PM   #87
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Look guys, I have a rabid alumni to satisfy. Just do what has to be done and get it done NOW! /slams door to office

That felt good
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:51 PM   #88
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't disagree. I think DT, G, and CB are at a 'critical' level.
We also have 4 OLB's that are Sr's. We could possibly red-shirt one of them however. But this could be another critical recruiting position.

And uhh...CraigSca...I think we definitely go after the CB and take our chances.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #89
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

*looks at roster*

*looks at demands from position coaches*

*looks at classified ads*
Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #90
Huckleberry
College Starter

Craig -

The link in your post above has "scarboroughlimited" and the link in your signature is "scarborough-limited". The signature link doesn't work, needless to say. (But I said it anyway)

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 09-16-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #91
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Looking at the recruiting picture, I have two interests:

1. G Mack Moorthy - Lives 7 miles off campus. Decent attitude and decent smarts with some good athletic prep. This is a guy that could probably step in as a freshman and we could get some decent starts out of him. The 36th ranked G in the country might bite since we are only 7 miles away. We'd need to have a contingency plan in later weeks if Mack doesn't show interest, though.

2. C Orlando Force - Lives 123 miles from NC State and is the 16th ranked C in the country. With moderate athletic prep, he could sit a season behind Hein and Bednarsh. Living as close as he does, I think he might deserve a phone call. This is not a "need" position, but he's a good risk to make a telephone call to just to see what his priorities are.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #92
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Craig -

The link in your post above has "scarboroughlimited" and the link in your signature is "scarborough-limited". The signature link doesn't work, needless to say. (But I said it anyway)

Fixed, thanks! I do that all the time
how do you know?

Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 PM   #93
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Non-Dola,
Scratch Mack Morthy as the primary target for Guard. I just realized that there are few players that are not in the area that would be interested in starting at Guard for our team next season. We'll need to check a couple of those out. Morthy would be a good contingency plan, though.

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 09-16-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:21 PM   #94
Huckleberry
College Starter

Holy crap. Our Top 5 rated WRs are all true juniors. Our top 3 TEs are all true seniors. Nice recruiting balance by the previous staff.

Keep in mind, Coach Sca, I'm a first year coach making the move from graduate assistant. That being said, here are my ideas after reviewing the receivers and tight ends (I assume the TEs are under me and not the OL coach). I welcome any input from fellow members of the staff as my TCY experience is very thin:

1.) Remove WR Trent Brodie's redshirt. He is at 65/65, making him both our best receiver and leaving him with no room for improvement so no point in redshirting.

2.) Place a redshirt on TE Calvin Stevenson. Rated 45/70, he has room for development and also is our 2nd TE. If we stick with the trips, there's no reason to have 4 scholarship TEs active.

3.) I like the trips formation with our personnel. Jack Mackie, starting TE, is a great run blocker. We have good options at WR even though we might be redshirting our two most talented players, both WRs. Our WR and TE young talent surpasses our backs talent at this point. Young freshman TE Kevin Gilman is loaded with ability, and projects to a very good run blocker.

4.) WR Corps - Trent Brodie is our go to guy when we need a first down. Decent big play ability, but his willingness to go over the middle is his biggest asset. Good hands. Kenneth Wertz and Butch Washington will be better deep threats. I would like your opinions on which two to redshirt from this group. Givens and Clark are the two left with redshirts after Brodie's is pulled, but these two guys both scream superstar.

5.) A huge caveat on this entire report. Our local scout is rated Terrible for receivers.

Recruiting

I've only made a cursory look, but I would like to recommend we take a look at TE Corey Adams and WR Byron Tinsley, who both attend East Columbus High in Lake Waccamaw. Adams idolizes our school.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 09-16-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #95
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Linebacker assessment:

We're solid at both ILB and OLB. However, four of our OLB's are seniors, so I would recommend that some of our recruiting efforts should be directed there.

Junior ILB Herman Sanderson looks like an All-American candidate.

Recommend red-shirts for freshman ILB Levon Poston and senior OLB Erik Hoke.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:12 AM   #96
Balldog
Pro Rookie

So are the Offensive Position Coaches in favor of sticking with the Trips Formation for Year 1?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:28 AM   #97
Ben E Lou

RB/FB Situation

There is a bit of a logjam at RB. However, Orlando Macri, a true Sophomore, stands out to me as the guy we want to get the ball, with Senior Gino Linquist as his primary backup this year. I think Macri has the potential to be a true star. If we can keep enough guys healthy to do it, I further recommend that we apply the red-shirt tag to 4th-year Senior Al Prior and true Sophomore Robert Low. They might be useful with a little extra seasoning.

As far as how to use Macri and Linquist, neither has any serious deficiencies, so they can be used in normal situations, 3rd down, pass-catchers, etc. I'd set Macri's playing time to around 1 or 2, because right now I anticipate that there won't be much difference in performance between the two of them.

At fullback, Pete Dodge should be a solid run-blocker. Although he shouldn't get a lot of carries, he won't embarrass himself with the ball in his hands, either. If we can avoid injuries, I'd red-shirt Adam Withers (assuming we'll remain in a set that uses the fullback). Otherwise, we're starting a true freshman or the not-very-talented Clyde Hickman next season.

With this beginning talent, a case can *definitely* be made to using the single-back or trips set this year year. However, I'd lobby for next year, as Dodge could really help us this year.

As far as recruiting, my eye is turned toward RB Mario Burgess. Burgess is quite talented both athletically and academically. His weakness is in kick returning, and I'd rather not have my backs doing that anyway. He's only 77 miles away from us, down in Tar Heel. With his high athletic preparation score (62) it would behoove us to target him early in recruiting, or not even bother. He's the #242 player in the country, but with that athl. prep., he's likely to get some looks from big-time programs sooner rather than later. Second, there's RB Deion Gomez. Deion is a Top 100 player, which is why I rank him behind Burgess in terms of who I think we should pursue. I have my doubts that we'll be able to land a player of Gomez's caliber just yet, plus I'm not a big fan of his Poor attitude, and the fact that he might be mediocre academically--decent GPA and SAT, but weak academic preparation. My next option would be to go up to Pottstown, PA and take a look at RB Leroy Baird. Leroy has low athletic prep, but is very strong in the classroom. Given that Macri would be starting for Baird's first two seasons in Raleigh, that should be plenty of time to get him ready to play in the ACC. Finally, there's RB Hunter Towne, from Dade County High in Trenton, GA. He idolizes Tech, but looks to be worth at least an early phone call, just in case the Jackets, who look loaded at RB, aren't interested.

As far as fullbacks go, if we're going to continue to use one, I'd go after FB Mike Fulmer first and foremost this year. He's not a marquee recruit, but he's only 9 miles away in Garner, is strong in the classroom, has a Good attitude, and his strength is run blocking. If we decide not to red-shirt Adam Withers this year, then I'd advise going hard after FB Ben Timmons, from Fort Mill, SC early on. He's got high athletic preparation, and is best at run blocking. His main drawback: he idolizes USC, and the Gamecocks run the wishbone. If we decide to stay in a one-back offense, then we need to head over to Winston-Salem around Week 14 and induce FB Tracy Drakeford to walk on. 3.90 GPA, 1537 SAT, and a Very Good attitude.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-17-2004 at 06:32 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 AM   #98
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
So are the Offensive Position Coaches in favor of sticking with the Trips Formation for Year 1?
Without a strong QB, I'd say that FB Pete Dodge will help us more offensively than adding a third WR. RB Orlando Macri has the potential to be a star, but could use the extra blocker at least for this year. The offensive line is a little better at run blocking than pass blocking right now as well. I'd be concerned about leaving our QB back there in this league--unless we throw a *lot* of short passes.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:39 AM   #99
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Sorry, keep in mind I haven't seen the roster yet. Just seen a couple people suggest sticking with the trips, I personally would prefer to eventually run out of the I or single-back.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #100
Ben E Lou

TIME MANAGEMENT SUGGESTION FOR BACKS
(assuming we stick with 17 practice time)
(study hall, weight training, football study, relaxation)
RB Orlando Macri: 22/16/23/22
RB Gino Linquist: 15/15/27/26
RB Robert Low: 18/20/23/22
RB Al Pryor: 25/14/24/20
RB Billy Joe Ramirez: 22/20/20/21
RB Roosevelt Sheldon: 35/10/10/28 (This guy's never gonna see the field anyway...)

If we use trips or single back, then all FB's need to be given 30+ points for study hall, 30 relaxation for those with gf, 25 for those without. Otherwise, if we use FB's....

FB Adam Withers: 25/18/13/27
FB Clyde Hickman: 30/20/11/22 (no real value on the field)
FB Pete Dodge: 25/25/13/20