Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #451
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

it is kinda unnerving too, since we have no idea of the special roles on the side of good in this game. Is there a seer? is there a bodyguard?what other roles could there be?
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #452
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
The only flaw with this assessment is that you can turn down a duel. Theoretically there aren't any other guns out there for night engagement stuff, so if you're bad there's no real reason to say otherwise unless you're forseeing this exact scenario. And while it's possible there are guns out there at night, it's more likely to be someone just flat out shooting someone than a gunfight, because a gunfight requires more guns and is thus more complicated. I don't really buy this too much, although I have to admit it's possible.

Hmm.. maybe i misunderstand how things work. I'll explain how I think they work.. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From reading the rules, my belief is when there is a duel (either challenge or due to no majority vote), it starts out with pistols, and then if that ends up with no death, it then goes to rapiers until someone dies.

Is this what everyone understood it to be as well, or am I incorrect here? Tyrith's post seems to indicate to me that he believes the pistols are only used in the challenge duels, but not in the ones that result if the vote ends up without a majority
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #453
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
to switch games on you a sec. wasn't there a character in the Tombstone game that had to accept a shootout if called on. The Dentist ithink. couldn't it be possible to have a hotheaded Cardinal guard who has to accept a duel, and couldn't that same guardsman suck at dueling?

Possible, but that's a lot of complications. Probably significantly safer to just hope it doesn't come up.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #454
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
From reading the rules, my belief is when there is a duel (either challenge or due to no majority vote), it starts out with pistols, and then if that ends up with no death, it then goes to rapiers until someone dies.

That's how I understand the duels will be carried out. Pistols first, then rapiers if needed.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #455
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmm.. maybe i misunderstand how things work. I'll explain how I think they work.. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this what everyone understood it to be as well, or am I incorrect here? Tyrith's post seems to indicate to me that he believes the pistols are only used in the challenge duels, but not in the ones that result if the vote ends up without a majority

Alan iread it that you don't have pistols for any night actions...werewolves or guardsmen might have in the night phase
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #456
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
to switch games on you a sec. wasn't there a character in the Tombstone game that had to accept a shootout if called on. The Dentist ithink. couldn't it be possible to have a hotheaded Cardinal guard who has to accept a duel, and couldn't that same guardsman suck at dueling?

No, in the tombstone game you didn't have to accept duels and no one had the ability to avoid one if I can remember correctly (without going back to my notes and looking). This game's duel system is obviously entirely different though, so perhaps that possibility lies here still however. Even though for normal duels you have to accept it regardless of who you are, so such a role would only kick in for the duels triggered via the vote.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #457
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I would assume that all duels work the same, but I don't know for sure.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #458
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alan iread it that you don't have pistols for any night actions...werewolves or guardsmen might have in the night phase

I didn't say anything about night actions. I was talking entirely about the duels.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #459
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules
Duels – M. Grenier has a matched pair of wheel lock dueling pistols. These will be primed and loaded before everyone’s eyes just prior to the duel. Each man will stand back to back and take ten paces. Upon the command of “fire”, each man will turn and fire his pistol at the other. If both men are still standing, they will draw rapiers and fight to 3rd blood. All duels will occur at the end of the day round.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #460
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't say anything about night actions. I was talking entirely about the duels.

I know. But idid not read Tyrith's comment as how duels worked, rather about night actions.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #461
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Part of you has to hope it's coincidental in case he comes up good, because if he dies today and is good, what happens tomorrow?

I reread this a few times. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Who are you talking about when you refer to if he comes up good, what happens tommorrow? The way you worded it made it sound like I would be in trouble if so... and I have no idea who you are talking about unless you mean Fouts.. and if he does die and ends up good, then I'll take my medicine for it.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #462
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know. But idid not read Tyrith's comment as how duels worked, rather about night actions.

Ahh ok, his post was in reference to comments about the duels I had thought, so I assumed we were talking entirely about duels at that point. If he was talking about night actions then I have no clue what happens there.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #463
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:

so basically iwas disagreeing with your reading of Tyrith's words.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #464
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
I reread this a few times. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Who are you talking about when you refer to if he comes up good, what happens tommorrow? The way you worded it made it sound like I would be in trouble if so... and I have no idea who you are talking about unless you mean Fouts.. and if he does die and ends up good, then I'll take my medicine for it.

It was more of a joke. If you've been on Izulde all weekend, and other people used it to vote for him, and he's good, it's one of those random things that occasionally gets used to blow up people. I have zero, repeat ZERO intention of voting for you tomorrow based off anything that happens because of this vote, but it was an interesting observation.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #465
Fouts
College Starter

I am an average dueler. I suppose it is possible that I could win in a duel, but I am not going to take that chance. I will not be dueling tonight.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #466
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:

No, but Izulde would have to have expected something like this if he was doing something like that to ward off being set up in a top-2 duel. Otherwise a comment like that is far, FAR more likely to get you killed than to actually save you. To summarize, I think it's much more likely that it was a true statement than some sort of fraud because of how complicated/counterproductive such a lie would be.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #467
Tyrith
College Starter

Fouts comments concern me. If he can duck a duel, then if there is a replacement dueler there is now a three way tie at 2 between cronin, dubb, and ntn. I'd like it if someone that doesn't have a vote on a leader right now could dump another vote into ntn so we don't set up duels that we don't want, on the off chance Fouts is hinting to us what's up.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #468
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, but Izulde would have to have expected something like this if he was doing something like that to ward off being set up in a top-2 duel. Otherwise a comment like that is far, FAR more likely to get you killed than to actually save you. To summarize, I think it's much more likely that it was a true statement than some sort of fraud because of how complicated/counterproductive such a lie would be.

I agree, which leads me to my original curiosity regarding the late run on Izulde to suddenly put him out to be "Fouts's killer".

Now the thing i am curious about is Fouts continously says he will not be dueling tonight, which seems like something pretty hard to bluff if you are forced to duel due to the lynch votes, so I'm guessing its indicative of a role special thing which means who knows what we will see.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #469
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I will not be dueling tonight.

Why do you keep saying this? If no one has a majority, the top two vote getters duel. Is there something that would prevent you from doing so?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #470
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, back from dinner, catching up. I'm very curious as to why everyone seems hell bent on forcing a tie-vote duel today. Personally, I think it's a god awful idea.

Reason is very simple. I think logically (for game balance reasons), those with more powerful roles are likely gonna have less "martial" ability. I think if we force a duel, we're much more likely to lose someone with an important role.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #471
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just another random comment..

Fouts earlier on said things that would make him a very good day 1 lynch choice such as being nothing important, and it was fine if we wanted to vote for him.

I'm wondering if he has a role which will be able to be validated as good if put to the lynch and he is able to switch off the vote to a different dueler. All day long, he has been unconcerned about people voting for him which was one of the reasons I chose to stay on him. (If its no huge loss to lynch him, he's as good a gamble as any).
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #472
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Alright, back from dinner, catching up. I'm very curious as to why everyone seems hell bent on forcing a tie-vote duel today. Personally, I think it's a god awful idea.

Reason is very simple. I think logically (for game balance reasons), those with more powerful roles are likely gonna have less "martial" ability. I think if we force a duel, we're much more likely to lose someone with an important role.

I'm not one of the people who are pushing for the day 1 duel scenerio, so I can't speak for them. But if we need a majority vote, we need 11 votes for one person to avoid the day 1 duel. I don't honestly see that happening anywhere. So I am pretty sure those who want a day 1 duel will get it fairly easily.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #473
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Okay, well I know Izulde is leading the vote count by 2, but I dont like that Fouts keeps saying he will not be dueling tonight...

unvote st cronin

vote fouts
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #474
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well jesus, I did not parse that particular rule at ALL. Lordy.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #475
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The reason people (including me) are pushing for a day 1 duel is because we don't really have a good person to vote for. We can bandwagon someone to get a lynch, or we can pick two people and let them fight. One of those people will probably be the person we would bandwagon anyway, so we are really only putting one additional person at risk. We also learn what the duels are like in case we need to make use of them in the future.

We might kill an important role with the duel, but we might also kill that role with a random bandwagon. I don't see any major downside to the duel.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #476
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a bit curious to see what will happen if Fouts is forced to duel, but I don't know if that is reason enough to vote for him.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #477
Tyrith
College Starter

Well, at least LSG's vote means cronin isn't going to be in the backup duel candidate pool for now. I would most like to have ntn be our spare warm body for Izulde's potential mauling, but dubb is better than cronin, I guess. More I just want to see happens with cronin when he becomes a priest....
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #478
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Okay, well I know Izulde is leading the vote count by 2, but I dont like that Fouts keeps saying he will not be dueling tonight...

unvote st cronin

vote fouts

Really. Now why don't you like it? You think a bad guy would be saying that? Are you sure you want to join the other 4 in voting for me?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #479
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fair enough, fair enough. I'm still not thrilled about it, but I totally agree we'll never get a majority consensus on day 1 (and almost never SHOULD on day 1).

I just greatly worry that we're gonna leave someone with a helpful role and shitty weapon skills out to dry if we keep forcing duels down the road.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #480
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, at least LSG's vote means cronin isn't going to be in the backup duel candidate pool for now. I would most like to have ntn be our spare warm body for Izulde's potential mauling, but dubb is better than cronin, I guess. More I just want to see happens with cronin when he becomes a priest....

I don't think we have to worry about a backup duel. If there is a reason Fouts can't duel, that probably means he can shift the duel to someone else. Or maybe he will refuse to duel and will just die. Either way, I doubt it would go to a third place person.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #481
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
We might kill an important role with the duel, but we might also kill that role with a random bandwagon. I don't see any major downside to the duel.

I'm a bit worried about us killing an important role early, too. My thinking is that our important roles would be a bit on the quiet side. I don't think we'd see a seer type come out pointing at people accusing them right off the bat.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #482
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fair enough, fair enough. I'm still not thrilled about it, but I totally agree we'll never get a majority consensus on day 1 (and almost never SHOULD on day 1).

I just greatly worry that we're gonna leave someone with a helpful role and shitty weapon skills out to dry if we keep forcing duels down the road.

Well to be fair, if someone is on the line in that situation, they should probably say so. We don't want to accidentally lose our seer or another important role as part of this showdown.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #483
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't think we have to worry about a backup duel. If there is a reason Fouts can't duel, that probably means he can shift the duel to someone else. Or maybe he will refuse to duel and will just die. Either way, I doubt it would go to a third place person.

I prefer to err on the side of caution, although I agree with you.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #484
Fouts
College Starter

unvote Izulde
vote Dubb
Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #485
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I would assume going forward that we'll find reasons for people to lynch and won't need to worry about a duel.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #486
Fouts
College Starter

Both Izulde and Dubb claim to be superior at duels. Lets see how good they really are.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #487
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Well to be fair, if someone is on the line in that situation, they should probably say so. We don't want to accidentally lose our seer or another important role as part of this showdown.

Which is another cause of concern. Obviously if you've got shit combat ratings, you know it, and you're not gonna want to dual. Which in turn could force some pre-mature role reveals that should be kept quiet until it's time.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #488
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I would have thought we learned this in prior games, but in all fairness:

Being a priest is one form of status in the period. For this game that angle was potentially given to both CG and Musketeers. So if you are using the book, just know it was a dice roll in this game and not a faction thing. It actually could go either way.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #489
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
I would have thought we learned this in prior games, but in all fairness:

Being a priest is one form of status in the period. For this game that angle was potentially given to both CG and Musketeers. So if you are using the book, just know it was a dice roll in this game and not a faction thing. It actually could go either way.

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #490
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which is another cause of concern. Obviously if you've got shit combat ratings, you know it, and you're not gonna want to dual. Which in turn could force some pre-mature role reveals that should be kept quiet until it's time.

By no means do we want people to reveal pre-maturely. However if someone is on the line to die, and are a role we really dont want to see lost, they really should say so. At least give the bodyguard a chance to keep them around a little while longer.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #491
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
By no means do we want people to reveal pre-maturely. However if someone is on the line to die, and are a role we really dont want to see lost, they really should say so. At least give the bodyguard a chance to keep them around a little while longer.

No arguments from me there. I'm more pointing out my concerns for future days with the dueling system. And while we WILL get more evidence in later days, how often do we really, truly have a consensus on voting? I can count the number of times (in games I've been involved in) we've had a clear cut full majority lynch candidate on one hand. In this game, that could cost us severely.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #492
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
No arguments from me there. I'm more pointing out my concerns for future days with the dueling system. And while we WILL get more evidence in later days, how often do we really, truly have a consensus on voting? I can count the number of times (in games I've been involved in) we've had a clear cut full majority lynch candidate on one hand. In this game, that could cost us severely.

It's annoying, and it wrecks voting records somewhat, but we managed alright in Resident Evil a couple of games ago with the same rule.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #493
SnDvls
Pro Starter

do I still have time to vote?

anyone have a quick vote count?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #494
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Deadline isn't till 10pm EST. Plenty of time.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #495
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
do I still have time to vote?

anyone have a quick vote count?

(5) Izulde - Path (412), Hoopsguy (421), St.cronin (426), Ntndeacon (434), Mr.Wednesday (439)
(5) Fouts - ChiefRum (194), Alan (261), Jonathan (264), Izulde (314), Lonestargirl (473)
(3) Dubb - Barkeep (120), Lathum (160), Fouts (484)
(2) Ntndeacon - Tyrith (301), DaddyTorgo (310).
(1) St.cronin - Anxiety (209)
(1) Lonestargirl - Blade (273)
(1) Hoopsguy - Coffee Warlord (271)
(1) Tyrith - Dubb (378)

No vote: Sndvls, BrianD
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #496
SnDvls
Pro Starter

ok thanks...now anyone got a vote breakdown I'm trying to read the 4-5 new pages for today now.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #497
SnDvls
Pro Starter

ah thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #498
SnDvls
Pro Starter

looks like I'm breaking the tie and I'm in a no win situation for it.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #499
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm a little weirded out by the quick run on Izulde after I put a vote there.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #500
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
looks like I'm breaking the tie and I'm in a no win situation for it.

Keep in mind the different voting rules. So breaking a tie isnt necessarily breaking a tie. Your vote does obviously have a big impact on how things will turn out though, but such is the risk of voting late in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm a little weirded out by the quick run on Izulde after I put a vote there.

To be fair, you wern't the first vote. Path started it, followed by you and others really quickly But yes, that weirded me out too