Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #201
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Media Snippetts (January, Winter-2022)

2022 MEDIA SNIPPETTS

RIVALS.COM
USC MESSAGE BOARD
January, Winter-2022

Poster: uSc4lIfE
Message: Did you hear, the Bear is coming back 4 another yr?

Poster: r0zBolE

Poster: Trojanman
Message: I still think he has to come back. He'd be a fool to walk away from the talent he has assembled. He's got the makings of a dynasty here and finally has the offense built the way he wants it. Why would he leave?

Poster: tr0janfan
Message: I heard he was considering trying to bring an NFL team to LA.

Poster: cardinalandgold
Message: Waste of time. LA won't support an NFL team. The only way it works is if they can play in the new stadium SC is building, and I don't see the school letting an NFL team take it's coach and then saying "Oh, and you can come play in our brand spanking new stadium we just spent the school's money on too!" It ain't happening.

Poster: scINsider
Message: I know for a fact Growlz is gone. I have a friend, who has a friend, who has a friend, that works with a friend, whose uncle's cousin is a bigwig in the SC AD's office, and he told me Growlz has told the AD he is going to take the coaching job at Troy State. It's a done deal.

Message: I have a friend who has a friend who has a friend whose uncle's cousin's dog told me scINsider is a dumbass. And I believe him.

Poster: scINsider
Message: screw u condomboy. U r just jelis I have inside sources n u dont.

-20-

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #202
aztarheel
High School JV

Rumor has it Coach Bear and Steve Victory are both going to quit their respective sports jobs and buy a Major League Baseball franchise. That's just what the Sheriff told me anyways...
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #203
kingfc22
Head Coach

How did I miss this dynasty thread?! One hell of a job my friend.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #204
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:

Rumor has it Coach Bear and Steve Victory are both going to quit their respective sports jobs and buy a Major League Baseball franchise. That's just what the Sheriff told me anyways

Heh.

Quote:

How did I miss this dynasty thread?! One hell of a job my friend.

Kingfc22,

Thanks for the praise and the read. Glad you are enjoying it!

[email protected]

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #205
Tellistto
College Prospect

Just thought I'd chime in with it being a good read. I've been reading now for a week or so, enjoyed it immensely. Hope it keeps up!

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #206
Marathoner
High School JV

Still reading, you're doing a fabulous job.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #207
SFL Cat
College Starter

With a name like "Bear"growlz...my guess is he winds up at Alabama.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #208
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Just thought I'd chime in with it being a good read. I've been reading now for a week or so, enjoyed it immensely. Hope it keeps up!

Tell

Thanks Tell. Appreciate it!

Quote:
Still reading, you're doing a fabulous job.

Thanks Marathoner. Hope you keep reading!

Quote:
With a name like "Bear"growlz...my guess is he winds up at Alabama.

Heh.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #209
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Media Snippetts (January-Winter)

2022 Media Snippetts (January-Winter)

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Sports Information Office: For Immediate Release, January, 2022

USC Athletic Director Cynthia Cooper annouced this afternoon that there would be a press conference concerning the Trojans football program later this evening.

Ms. Cooper is a former woman's basketball star here at Southern Cal, two-time WNBA MVP, former Head Coach of the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury, former Head Coach of Prairie View A&M Woman's Basketball program and ultimately rose to become Athletic Director at Prairie view prior to becoming AD at Southern Cal.

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 02-07-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #210
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Media Snippetts (January, Winter)

MEDIA SNIPPETTS (WINTER, 2022)

PRESS CONFERENCE
@ The Galen Center
USC Campus
January, 2022

USC Sports Information Director: Media and guests, welcome. Now entering the room to make brief statements will be USC Athletic Director Cynthia Cooper and USC Head Football Coach Bear Growlz. After both of them have made their prepared remarks, they'll be glad to answer your questions.

*Athletic Director Cooper and Coach Growlz seat themselves at a table in front of the room which is covered with dozens of microphones*

Athletic Director Cynthia Cooper (CC): Good evening. As most of you know, Southern Cal football has come a long way in the fourteen years Bear Growlz has been the head football coach here. We've won two national championships, played in three consecutive national title games, and won the past three consecutive PAC-10 conference championships. Coach Growlz has truly made SC one of the most prestigious football programs in the nation.

But it would be a mistake to say that the program's success has only been on the field of play. Coach Growlz has recruited student-athletes, not just athletes. He has set up mandatory academic schedules requiring even the best of our student-athletes to devote a significant portion of their daily life to academics, resulting in Southern Cal becoming one of the top ten educational institutions in the nation.

Thus it is with great pride in The University of Southern California that today I wish to announce the re-signing of Coach Bear Growlz to an 11 year contract - in essence a lifetime contract - so he can finish out his coaching career here in sunny southern California.

*A.D. Cooper turns to Coach Growlz and extends her hand*

Bear, we're glad you've decided to call Southern Cal home and finish out your career here. Welcome home coach.

*Coach Growlz shakes Ms. Cooper's hand and then speaks into the microphones*

Head Coach Bear Growlz (BG): I guess I have to say "dude" a lot now, eh?

*laughter fills the room of reporters*

(BG): In all seriousness, the last fourteen years have been a wonderful experience. I've experienced some of the most dramatic highs a coach can have, and some terrible lows over some losses - we don't need to talk about those much. Really, no need.

*more laughter*

(BG): I have to admit that fourteen years ago, when then SC Athletic Director Mike Garrett approached me about coming to Southern Cal, I was floored. But I was also hesitant. Following in the footsteps of Pete Carroll was a tall order. But once I made the decision to take the job, I've never had a single regret. We've been able to build a clean, academically sound, and athletically talented program here, and we've seen all the work of the past fourteen years be rewarded the past three seasons.

When Cynthia approached me about a longterm extension, I admit I hesitated. The loss to Virginia in the national title game hit me pretty hard. The loss kind of knocked me down off my high horse - that's not good for a Trojan to be knocked off Traveler you know.

*some more laughter fills the room*

But after taking a few days to think about it, I realized the SC had become my home, and I still think there's a few years of coaching left in the tank - and there's no place I'd rather coach than here at Southern Cal.

So, I'd like to thank Cynthia and the USC administration for the faith they have shown in me, not only with what is in essence a lifetime contract, but for their patience during the rough times when we were laying the foundations of what has finally come to fruition. This is a heck of a place to coach, and I plan on winning a lot more football games.

USC Sports Information Director: Ms. Cooper and Coach Growlz will take your questions now.

LA Times: Coach, why 11 years?

(BG): *chuckles* That is an odd number, isn't it? Well, 11 years from now I'll have coached at SC for 25 years, and I'll be 67 and don't imagine I'll want to coach much longer than that, so, it just seemed like a good number.

(CC): If I may...we wanted Coach to know he had a lifetime contract here at SC. We had to put some number on it, so like Coach said, 11 seemed like a good number.

LA Times: Coach, in three years you'll have passed John McKay and become the longest tenured head football coach at Southern Cal. What goes through your mind when you think about that?

(BG): Well, mentioning my name in the same breath as John McKay, well, that's an honor. It'll be a big honor when we get to that point. He coached this program for a good long time and did a great job with it. I hope, when we look back on my tenure here, the next coach can say the same about my time as coach.

ESPN News: Coach, if Notre Dame called and offered you the top job there again, would you consider it?

(BG): No, USC is my home now.

ESPN News: Not even a little?

(BG): It's not just SC that's making a commitment here. I'm making a commitment to this institution that I'm going to stay and finish my coaching career here. I take that commitment very seriously. So no, not even Notre Dame.

Sports Illustrated: What about the University of Virginia?

(BG): What about them? *smirks*

Sports Illustrated: If they offered you their job?

(BG): I'd tell them to get ready for a rematch in the Rose Bowl next year because we've got some payback to dole out.

The Sporting News: Ms. Cooper, what happens if the SC program falls from grace, takes a nose dive and isn't as successful as it has been the past few years. The university is on the hook for a big chunk of change, isn't that kind of risky?

(CC): We think it's a wise investment. With the Coach's track record over the past fourteen years, and with the commitment he's shown the university, I can't think of a better investment that would assure the programs success on the field, and the institution's academic, clean and honest reputations.

The Sporting News: Tell us a little about the negotiation process - how did this deal come about?

(CC): Once Coach decided he wanted to continue coaching, it took about fifteen minutes to work out a deal. We both wanted the same thing - for him to finish out his career here at SC.

USC Trojan: Coach? Boxers or briefs?

*laughter fills the room*

(BG): You kids been trying to get me to answer that for fourteen years. Like our playbook, that's top secret info.

*more laughter*

LA Times: Coach, gonna beat UCLA this year?

(BG): Going to try Marty, always going to try. *grins*

USC Sports Information Director: If that's all of your questions, that'll be all for tonight. We have working facilities down the hall for any of you who need to write copy or phone, fax or email your stories in. The University thanks you for coming out tonight.

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #211
aztarheel
High School JV

Congratulations on your lifetime contact, coach. What's it like out on the West Coast by the way? I hear good things.

-- Steve Victory, head men's basketball coach at NC State
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #212
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Congratulations on your lifetime contact, coach. What's it like out on the West Coast by the way? I hear good things.

-- Steve Victory, head men's basketball coach at NC State

Thanks Steve. You should come on out. Now that Tim Floyd has retired, there's always the men's basketball program that needs a coach and the PAC-10 is a heck of a hoops conference.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 02-07-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #213
devynd
n00b

Congrats on the contract! It is well deserved.

It was a shame to see SC lose to Virginia, but it's also good that the game doesn't let you win it all every year. Now things will stay interesting. Hats off to Virginia, though; they look tough.

Good luck next season and the rest of the way!
devynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #214
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Thanks Dev,

I agree. Losing that big game just gave me more reason to continue the dynasty. Now there are more mountains to climb, challenges to face and all. The game would be boring if it could be "beat" every time.

But ouch, that was a kick in the teeth.

Thanks again!

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #215
aztarheel
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrowlz View Post
Thanks Steve. You should come on out. Now that Tim Floyd has retired, there's always the men's basketball program that needs a coach and the PAC-10 is a heck of a hoops conference.

you read my mind, only I won't be at USC! Go Cal Bearz...

- Steve Victory, new coach at California
Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #216
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

*grin*

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #217
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 USC Preseason (Winter)

Winter, 2022

Well, first day back on the job after taking some time off, and the desk is piled high with shit that needs to be shoveled.

Redshirt senior OG Desmond Warkenstein will miss the entire season. He was suspended by the NCAA for getting into a fight with another college student. I wonder about some of these kids sometimes. It's like brain cells just disappear at times.

Quite a few schools offerred me the top job, but a polite letter declining those was all they got for their troubles. I don't think we'll be job hunting again - at least not by choice.

Lead Scout Lester Stargell and Defensive Coordinator Leland Shepard both retired. I was surprised by Shepard - only lasted one year. Oh well, time to find replacements. At least Spencer Farley and Arnie Urlacher will be back.

We settled on hiring Pitt's Defensive Coordinator, 40 year old Horace Brusca to fill that same position at SC. Brusca is an excellent play caller and very solid in player development, he just has the personality of a snail. That won't help recruiting matters, but can't have everything.

For the Lead Scout position, I prefer someone who is at least adequate in everything rather than being superior in some positions and poor in others. We settled on hiring 52 year old Fernando Farrell away from Tennessee to take over as Lead Scout. He's a solid, if unspectacular scout. It'll be difficult to fill Lester Stargell's shoes - he was an outstanding scout.

We had another outstanding recruit class last year, and TCY Today ranked it the best in the nation. Here's a look at the incoming freshmen for 2022.

2022 USC Incoming Recruits

Code:
The College Years The University of Southern California Trojans Recruiting List, Ranking View TCY Today Rank: #1 Player Pos HT WT ST NRank ByPos StRank ByPos $$Rhodes, Joel QB 6-2 181 CA 78 11 15 4 $$Daniels, Reuben RB 5-11 191 NY 59 3 3 1 ##Keisel, Joey FB 6-0 222 WA 901 23 14 1 $$Fix, Randall TE 6-2 224 CA 6 1 2 1 $$Hill, Myron WR 6-0 181 CA 7 1 3 1 ##Slusher, Jim C 6-2 252 WA 403 14 4 1 $$Lucas, Dustin G 6-5 286 MI 77 3 6 1 ##Lofton, Renaldo T 6-4 261 OK 91 7 1 1 $$Small, Norm P 5-7 161 CA 920 19 --- 4 $$Battle, Jamie DE 6-3 254 LA 9 1 1 1 $$Malcomson, Ronald DE 6-4 232 TN 166 18 3 1 $$Farr, Peter DT 6-1 258 CA 15 1 6 1 $$Fauber, Floyd ILB 6-0 213 CA 11 2 4 1 $$Andrews, Leon ILB 6-2 207 CA 827 46 --- 5 ##Loucks, Jermaine OLB 5-11 198 CA 111 10 18 1 $$Washington, Toby S 6-0 199 CA 40 1 9 1 Player All-St All-US Status $$Rhodes, Joel No No Committed * $$Daniels, Reuben Yes No Committed * ##Keisel, Joey Yes No Committed * $$Fix, Randall Yes No Committed * $$Hill, Myron Yes No Committed * ##Slusher, Jim Yes No Committed * $$Lucas, Dustin Yes No Committed * ##Lofton, Renaldo Yes No Committed * $$Small, Norm No No Committed * $$Battle, Jamie Yes No Committed * $$Malcomson, Ronald Yes No Committed * $$Farr, Peter Yes No Committed * $$Fauber, Floyd Yes No Committed * $$Andrews, Leon No No Committed * ##Loucks, Jermaine Yes No Committed * $$Washington, Toby Yes No Committed * The College Years Recruiting List, Worksheet View Player Pos ST Visit Cost Dist. Fit Score $$Rhodes, Joel QB CA 274 123 96 $$Daniels, Reuben RB NY 1241 2485 93 ##Keisel, Joey FB WA 695 864 89 $$Fix, Randall TE CA 240 18 98 $$Hill, Myron WR CA 248 42 95 ##Slusher, Jim C WA 677 950 84 $$Lucas, Dustin G MI 1241 1998 97 ##Lofton, Renaldo T OK 779 1173 78 $$Small, Norm P CA 246 36 97 $$Battle, Jamie DE LA 1026 1620 90 $$Malcomson, Ronald DE TN 1177 1801 90 $$Farr, Peter DT CA 234 2 98 $$Fauber, Floyd ILB CA 243 28 96 $$Andrews, Leon ILB CA 253 59 97 ##Loucks, Jermaine OLB CA 352 357 84 $$Washington, Toby S CA 316 249 85 Player Scout Phone Visit Emphasis Status $$Rhodes, Joel 76+ 3 3 Prest/Acad Committed * $$Daniels, Reuben 88- 3 2 Prest/Acad Committed * ##Keisel, Joey 62+ 1 1 Acad*/Dist Committed * $$Fix, Randall 92+ 4 3 Acad*/Dist Committed * $$Hill, Myron 95+ 4 3 Acad*/Dist Committed * ##Slusher, Jim 72+ 5 2 Dist/Prest Committed * $$Lucas, Dustin 77+ 3 3 Acad*/Prest Committed * ##Lofton, Renaldo 83+ 1 1 Dist*/Prest Committed * $$Small, Norm 69- 2 2 Dist/Acad Committed * $$Battle, Jamie 84+ 4 2 Acad/Prest Committed * $$Malcomson, Ronald 76+ 1 1 Acad/Prest Committed * $$Farr, Peter 88+ 3 3 Prest*/Dist Committed * $$Fauber, Floyd 92+ 4 2 Prest/Acad Committed * $$Andrews, Leon 66+ 1 1 Acad*/Dist Committed * ##Loucks, Jermaine 90+ 2 2 Acad/Dist Committed * $$Washington, Toby 89+ 4 3 Dist/Acad Committed * The College Years Recruiting List, Statistics View Player Statistics Status $$Rhodes, Joel 9 GP, 119-215-2060(9.5)-12-4 pass, 208-Committed * $$Daniels, Reuben 9 GP, 274-2027(7.3)-14 rush, 49-813-6 rCommitted * ##Keisel, Joey 9 GP, 72-592-2 rush, 37-555-6 rcv. Committed * $$Fix, Randall 9 GP, 31-663(21.3)-5 rcv. Committed * $$Hill, Myron 9 GP, 82-2251(27.4)-15 rcv. Committed * ##Slusher, Jim 9 GP. Committed * $$Lucas, Dustin 9 GP. Committed * ##Lofton, Renaldo 7 GP. Committed * $$Small, Norm 9 GP, 20 FG, 61-2698(44.2) punt yds. Committed * $$Battle, Jamie 9 GP, 86 tckls, 14.5 sacks, 3 Int. Committed * $$Malcomson, Ronald 9 GP, 78 tckls, 15.0 sacks, 1 Int. Committed * $$Farr, Peter 9 GP, 91 tckls, 5.0 sacks, 0 Int. Committed * $$Fauber, Floyd 9 GP, 13-248-1 rcv, 119 tckls, 6.0 sackCommitted * $$Andrews, Leon 9 GP, 84 tckls, 4.5 sacks, 4 Int. Committed * ##Loucks, Jermaine 9 GP, 13-165-4 rcv, 106 tckls, 7.0 sackCommitted * $$Washington, Toby 9 GP, 37-299-3 rush, 12-132-3 rcv, 79 tCommitted * Rough Estimate of Player Interest: No Prefix - player unlikely to be interested, ** - a bit of a stretch for your school, $$ - likely interest, ## - almost certain interest.

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay

Last edited by beargrowlz : 02-09-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #218
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Preseason (Spring)

2022 USC Preseason (Spring)

Spring, 2022

That time of year to schedule again. As you know by now, we play our rivals Notre Dame every season - this year it's a home game in the Rose Bowl. Also every season there is one PAC-10 team we don't play, this year that school is Oregon State. We have no home & home leftovers from last year.

So, that leaves us two games we need to schedule.

Popular sentiment is to schedule a rematch against Virginia - but I don't think either school wants to be knocked out of the national title hunt week one, so I think I'll pass - and my guess is they would as well.
To be honest, we're going to schedule two mid-level to poor games. We've got a tough enough strength of schedule to make the top two in the BCS if we go undefeated, so no reason to beef up our schedule anymore than usual.

Our preseason BCS ranking is #2 right behind Virginia, and our school prestige is now Excellent (98), behind only that of Virginia (Excellent-100).

Stage 1: The Minnesota Golden Gophers - quite honestly one of the best nicknames in all of the sports world - have agreed to come to the Rose Bowl Week 3. That leaves us one more game to schedule.

Stage 2: Playmouth State, one of Keene State's rivals from back in my NNE days, offerred us a game at the Rose Bowl, so we accepted, and that sets our schedule. Here's a look at it.

2022 Southern Cal Schedule

Code:
The College Years The University of Southern California Trojans 2022 Football Schedule Preseason BCS Rank: #2 Preseason Coaches Poll: #2 Preseason Fans Poll: #2 Rivals: UCLA, Notre Dame Stadium Capacity: 96,600 Season Tickets Sold: 96,600 Week Opponent 1 PLYMOUTH STATE 2 ---Open date--- 3 MINNESOTA 4 ---Open date--- $$5 at Stanford $$6 WASHINGTON STATE $$7 at Arizona $$8 (48) WASHINGTON 9 ---Open date--- $$10 at Oregon $$11 (14) CALIFORNIA $$12 at Arizona State 13 (13) NOTRE DAME $$14 (5) UCLA 15 ---Open date--- Home Games in ALL CAPS $$-Conference Games

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #219
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Southern Cal Preseason (Summer)

Summer, 2022

Ahh, my favorite part of being a coach - setting up player schedules. Well, no one on academic probation this season, so the agony of the process is worth it I guess.

Some very good students in this past recruiting class. That should help them develop more fully, and more quickly as we don't have to allocate so much of their time just keeping them eligible.

Finally, after a long off season of speculation and introspection, we got to play some football, even if it was just summer camp. Putting the kids through two-a-days was cathartic for me after all the speculation - mainly fed by my own sulking after the Virginia loss - that I might not return. It was definitely good to play some football again.

On the defensive side of the ball, our defensive line, always a strength, looks to be the best it has been in years, maybe as long as I have been here. Returning at starting NT is 5th year senior and four year starter Mel McWilliams. Mel is one of the best run-stoppers in college football. Flanking him at DRE is 5th year senior Floyd Jeffers, who has become quite a solid run stopper to go along with his 20 sacks from last season. At the other end is 5th year senior Austin lew, who starts for the first time this year, but has seen plenty of action over the past four seasons. Lew is equally adept at stuffing the run and rushing the quarterback, so we look to have a defensive line that can make some big plays this season.

We've started to turn our linebacker deficit around, and this is most noticable on the inside, where we have two very solid starters and two future starters right behind them. Starting at the ILB spots will be 5th year seniors Walt Whalen and Monty Garcia. Both made a big jump in their development in their one year under former Defensive Coordinator Leland Shepard and look to be significant factors on a strong defensive unit. Right behind them, backing them up but pushing hard for starting jobs are redshirt junior Brod Frias and redshirt sophomore Walter Nadeau. We're hopeful their development will continue under new Defensive Coordinator Horace Brusca.

The weakness in our defense is at the outside linebacker spots - though even that is improving. Redshirt sophomore Russell Warren will start on the strong side and is developing into a very good OLB. His opposite number on the weak side will be 5th year senior Matt Blackston, who is a pass rush specialist and we'll be sending him a lot this year.

Our secondary continues to be among the best in the nation. 5th year senior shutdown corner Brad Knight returns for his fourth year as a starter and redshirt junior Mario Barber joins him at the other CB spot. 5th year senior Jared Esparza enters his fourth season as a starter at safety, and he is joined by redshirt sophomore Chester Knight, Brad's younger brother. Chester looks like he is going to be one hell of a safety for us, and this is one terrific unit back here.

Defensively I think we're going to really stop some teams cold this year. We're strong just about everywhere, can apply pressure to the quarterback, can stuff the run, and have a corners that can play man on an island defense with some nice safeties in deep zone - that's a recipe for success.

Offensively we're a little bit rock and roll and a little bit country - er, that's to say a little bit new and a little bit old.

Our offensive line regressively ages as we go from left to right. At LT will be 5th year senior Nate Dillon, an absolute stud run-blocker who gets winded changing television channels with his remote. Astride him like a colossus is All-American LG Des Connell - also a 5th year senior. We'll be running left.

A lot.

At OC is redshirt junior Josh Woodson who still has a long way to come before he's an elite blocker. The right side of the line is very young with OG Dustin Lucas being a freshman - I think Dustin has the ability to be a great run blocker by next season, he's already solid - and OT Mario Harper, a true sophomore and second year starter. I'm very disappointed in Harper's lack of development over the offseason and it's possible we could recruit a freshman that might step in as a starter right away next season.

Running the wishbone - if he can stay healthy this year - is redshirt senior Kenny Finch. Finch still has a lot of developing to do as a passer - which he probably isn't going to get done - but he is an outstanding runner, doesn't throw the ball away for turnovers and is a good clutch passer. Right behind him is redshirt junior Tony Felkey, who saw a lot of action last season. Tony isn't nearly as well developed as Finch, but I'll have no hesitation in using him this year if Kenny gets hurt again.

We've also got some very raw, but outstanding runners in the quarterback pipeline. Our third stringer this season will be redshirt sophomore Thomas Kluge, an excellent runner who has a long, long way to go throwing the ball. And redshirting for us this season may be the best running quarterback we've ever had here at Southern Cal, Joel Rhodes. if I had to make bank on it, I'd guess that once Finch graduates Rhodes will be our starter - even though Felkey has much more experience and Kluge far more potential, I think Rhodes is going to be the guy. Just a guess from looking at him in practice.

We had a very heated competition for the starting Tailback position this summer, with incumbent 5th year senior Ike Daugherty barely coming out ahead based on his yards per carry. Redshirt senior Alf Snyder really blossomed over the offseason after getting a fulltime role this year and you can expect to see more carries from our Wingback this season - he's become really explosive and a big playmaker. At least that's how he looks in practice.

At Fullback, redshirt senior Tyrone Horrie takes over what is primarily an offensive lineman's role/pass receiver in our offense. Joining him as primary targets will be freshman Randy fix, who won the starting Tight End job in camp, and sophomore Britt Wells, who looks to have another explosive year in the wideout position.

Handling special teams duties will be sophomore Placekicker Burt Givens and redshirt sophomore Punter Calvin Grbac. Returning punt will be CB's Brad Knight and Mario Barber and handling punt return duties will be Brad Knight and WB Alf Snyder. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see some big returns out of the four of those players - particularly Knight.

Overall I think we're strong enough for another run at another national title - and definitely should be a solid contender for the PAC-10 championship. I think defensively we're going to stop a lot of teams cold, and offensively the key will be just developing our passing game enough so that good defenses that stack against the run cannot shut us down completely.

If we can do that, we should do well this year.

Here's a look at our full roster.

2022 Southern Cal Roster

Code:
The College Years The University of Southern California Trojans 2022 Roster/Scout Overview From The Desk of Fernando Farrell, Lead Scout Player # Pos Elig Current Estimate Future Estimate Felkey, Anthony 13 QB Jr* 42 66 Finch, Kenneth 1 QB Sr* 57 74 Kluge, Thomas 5 QB So* 19 100 Ratto, Vinny 2 QB Sr 29 70 Rhodes, Joel 8 QB Fr 15 62 Daniels, Reuben 38 RB Fr 53 100 Daugherty, Ike 24 RB Sr 72 100 McChane, Andrew 48 RB So* 50 55 Snyder, Alfred 25 RB Sr* 71 71 Thompson, Jeffrey 47 RB Sr* 62 76 Gardiner, Warren 31 FB So 43 83 Horie, Tyrone 28 FB Sr* 47 95 Keisel, Joey 36 FB Fr 24 51 Washington, Spencer 45 FB Sr 56 72 Carley, Ricardo 97 TE Jr* 42 82 Fix, Randall 83 TE Fr 45 84 Griffin, Arnold 96 TE So* 35 71 Hastings, Fred 82 TE Jr 47 55 Wynn, Dustin 80 TE Jr 46 62 Leavitt, Joel 81 TE* Sr 5 5 Mogolov, Conrad 89 TE* Jr* 23 42 Freeman, Phillip 3 WR Jr* 36 59 Hill, Myron 88 WR Fr 27 77 Myers, Al 86 WR Sr 42 62 Wells, Britt 6 WR So 48 84 Westbrook, Marty 9 WR Jr* 40 96 Linquist, Kevin 85 WR* Sr* 28 28 Burroughs, Adam 51 C So* 18 58 Leong, Dexter 50 C Sr 39 55 Slusher, Jim 54 C Fr 7 94 Woodson, Josh 57 C Jr* 44 98 Connell, Desmond 68 G Sr 78 78 Deason, Chester 74 G Jr* 22 93 Lucas, Dustin 62 G Fr 33 96 McConnell, Gus 61 G So* 20 88 Warkentien, Desmond 66 G Sr* 20 47 Dillon, Nate 69 T Sr 91 100 Gash, Ryan 64 T Jr* 14 87 Grodin, Peter 67 T Sr* 27 55 Harper, Mario 76 T So 36 100 Lofton, Renaldo 78 T Fr 3 79 Grbac, Calvin 11 P So* 57 100 Small, Norm 18 P Fr 32 73 Terry, Ronald 12 P* Sr 3 3 Givens, Burt 14 K So 62 96 Gillespie, Tony 19 K* So* 9 18 Battle, Jamie 91 DE Fr 34 88 Jeffers, Floyd 72 DE Sr 78 78 Lew, Austin 70 DE Sr 70 83 Malcomson, Ronald 92 DE Fr 23 66 McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* 40 92 Whiting, Conrad 95 DE* Sr* 9 9 Farr, Peter 79 DT Fr 22 88 McWilliams, Mel 98 DT Sr 75 100 Shepard, Jim 94 DT So 36 82 Johnson, Stanley 71 DT* So* 6 6 Norton, Lawrence 75 DT* Jr* 11 33 Andersen, Vince 43 ILB Sr* 38 71 Andrews, Leon 59 ILB Fr 9 47 Fauber, Floyd 56 ILB Fr 35 79 Frias, Broderick 93 ILB Jr* 45 91 Garcia, Monty 41 ILB Sr 64 73 Nadeau, Walter 52 ILB So* 44 100 Sly, Casey 58 ILB Sr* 33 77 Whalen, Walt 49 ILB Sr 83 83 Blackston, Matt 42 OLB Sr 38 86 Kariya, Kenneth 90 OLB Sr 33 75 Loucks, Jermaine 53 OLB Fr 26 86 Pritchett, Jessie 46 OLB Jr* 30 69 Warren, Russell 99 OLB So* 33 75 Barber, Mario 37 CB Jr* 79 94 Cheng, Walter 23 CB Sr* 65 94 Garcia, Marvin 22 CB So* 40 72 Jacobs, Justin 35 CB Sr* 60 94 Knight, Brad 26 CB Sr 83 83 Carpenter, Amos 44 S Jr* 56 95 Esparza, Jared 20 S Sr 80 97 Kinsey, Mel 34 S Sr* 56 99 Knight, Chester 30 S So* 57 74 McElroy, Stephen 39 S Sr* 60 79 Swafford, Howard 27 S So* 45 72 Washington, Toby 32 S Fr 45 88

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #220
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 SEASON MEDIA SNIPPETTS (1st Qtr.)

LA TIMES
Week 1, 2022

As Will Shakespeare once put it, or would have had he been an SC fan,

To-ny, or with Ken-ny, that is the question.

There's an old fahioned quarterback controversy brewing with the local perennial powerhouse USC Trojans this fall, and that's whether Tony Felkey or Kenny Finch should start at quarterback. Finch was the rookie starter that led Southern Cal to a national title two years ago, but was injured much of last season and Tony Felkey carried the team down the stretch. Yet when it came time for the national title game, Head Coach Bear Growlz went with Finch over Felkey, with disastrous results.

Now that both signal callers are healthy, it looks like Growlz is going with Finch over Felkey again. This decision is bound to raise the hackles of many a Trojan fan, and to be completely honest, we here at the Times can't say we agree with the decision. We think Tony Felkey is the best quarterback for this team and he should be starting. We think he showed he should be starting for most of last season, and don't see any reason to change horses in mid-stream.

But we here at the Times are also cogniscent of the fact that what we write doesn't matter. Coach Growlz is going to start who Coach Growlz wants to start.

Let's just hope Kenny Finch plays like he did in 2020 and not like he did against Virginia in last year's title game.

# # #

RIVALS.COM
USC TROJANS MESSAGE BOARD

Poster: scrappydoo
Message: Bad choice going with Finch man. He chokes in the big one. Got to go with Felkey, he's the dude.

Poster: trojanman
Message: They're both good quarterbacks and I don't see how Coach Growlz can go wrong starting either one. It's certainly a good problem to have.

Poster: eyehearttony

Poster: usc4life
Message: Finch is the better QB, Finch should start. Any1 who can't c that is a maron.

Poster: scrappydoo

Poster: godblessamerica

# # #

2022 BCS RANKINGS

Code:
The College Years Preseason, 2022 BCS Overall Rankings School Record Conf Comp Poll Loss Sched Total Rank Virginia 0-0 ACC 1.00 1.00 0.00 0.32 2.32 1 **Southern California 0-0 P10 2.00 2.00 0.00 1.88 5.88 2 Iowa 0-0 B10 4.00 3.50 0.00 0.48 7.98 3 Florida 0-0 SEC 3.00 3.50 0.00 2.04 8.54 4 UCLA 0-0 P10 5.00 5.00 0.00 1.92 11.92 5 Penn State 0-0 B10 6.00 6.00 0.00 0.72 12.72 6 Rice 0-0 WAC 7.00 7.00 0.00 3.44 17.44 7 Michigan 0-0 B10 9.00 9.50 0.00 0.52 19.02 8 Boston College 0-0 BGE 8.00 10.50 0.00 1.32 19.82 9 Texas A&M 0-0 B12 11.00 9.50 0.00 1.24 21.74 10 Alabama 0-0 SEC 10.00 9.50 0.00 2.28 21.78 11 Syracuse 0-0 BGE 12.00 11.50 0.00 1.48 24.98 12 Notre Dame 0-0 IND 13.00 12.50 0.00 4.56 30.06 13 California 0-0 P10 14.00 15.50 0.00 1.72 31.22 14 Wisconsin 0-0 B10 17.00 15.50 0.00 0.80 33.30 15 Georgia Tech 0-0 ACC 16.00 18.00 0.00 0.16 34.16 16 Toledo 0-0 MAC 15.00 15.50 0.00 4.08 34.58 17 Hawaii 0-0 WAC 18.00 16.50 0.00 3.32 37.82 18 Pittsburgh 0-0 BGE 21.00 19.50 0.00 1.40 41.90 19 Miami of Ohio 0-0 MAC 19.00 23.00 0.00 3.84 45.84 20 San Diego State 0-0 MTW 23.00 23.00 0.00 2.72 48.72 21 Miami of Florida 0-0 ACC 25.00 23.00 0.00 1.36 49.36 22 Colorado State 0-0 MTW 24.00 25.00 0.00 2.60 51.60 23 Marshall 0-0 MAC 26.00 22.50 0.00 3.80 52.30 24 Wake Forest 0-0 ACC 20.00 32.50 0.00 0.36 52.86 25

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #221
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 USC Season (1st Qtr-A)

2022 USC Season (1st Qtr.-A)

WEEK 1, 2022
vs. Plymouth State (0-0)
(USC -20) USC BCS RANK: #2

We face Plymouth State this week and should have a fairly easy time of it. It'll be a good tune-up game and a chance for reserves to get some reps in.

PSC runs a wishbone offense same as us. Their starting QB for the past three years is on academic probation, so I really don't know who they'll start at quarterback. They've got 5th year senior Al Sullivan who hasn't played in a game his four previous seasons at the school or redshirt sophomore Skip Roberson, who has a lot of potential but isn't very well developed. Our scouts tell us Sullivan likes to run more than average and Roberson no more than average. Your guess is as good as mine but if I had to pick one I'd say they start Sullivan because he's a little more developed.

They don't have a lot of offensive weapons on the team, so I don't think we need to go into constant goalline situations to stop their run. I think we'll heavily overplay the run in our game plan, but pretty much play a straight up 3-4 defense, with the corners in man and the safeties in zone. We'll use goalline, nickel and dime sets a normal amount as the situation dictates, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Made our first recruiting calls and visits today. Offerred quite a few scholarships right off the bat. There were an awful lot of top 100 kids very amenable to playing for us - or at least our scouts say so. We'll see come signing day.

GAMEDAY

1Q: They start Roberson. Glad I'm not a betting man.

They get nothing going and we take it right down the field for seven - highlighted by a 48 yard bomb from Kenny Finch to Brit Wells and a 13 yard Ike Daughtery touchdown run. 7-0 SC.

They're just not in our class. They go three and out and we drive downfield unabated to make it 14-0 on an 8 yard option keeper by Finch. It's going to be a long afternoon for the Panthers - who incidentally, have become a "university" since I graduated from Keene State instead of a "college". So it's PSU now. Learn something new every day.

That's how the first quarter ends, university or not, 14-0 Southern Cal.

2Q: We punch it in early in the second as Kenny hits freshman TE Randy Fix from 7 yards out. 21-0 USC. We recover a fumble at their 12 and Kenny Finch takes it straight up the middle from 12 yards out. 28-0. Penalties finally stop us and we do actually have to punt the ball for the first time in the game.

We hadn't been getting much pressure on Roberson until DE Austin lew came up with a 3rd down sack about 7:30 through the 2nd. They've been pass protecting very well up until now - very well.

Penalty, a sack and Kenny Finch tosses an INT and the Panthers are back in business, until DE Floyd Jeffers hammers Roberson for a 6 yard loss. Jeffers nailed Roberson on two consecutive plays, creating a turnover the 2nd time giving us great field position. It's as if someone flicked a switch and turned off their pass blocking, which until now had been so very good.

We score again and both Tony Felkey and Thomas Kluge see action at quarterback before halftime. End of half: USC 35-0

3Q: Kluge starts the second half for us at QB. Good to see Spencer Farley has his thinking cap on, though I personally would have prefferred FFelkey get the snaps as he's the one who is going to play if Finch goes down, but hey, just sayin.

Good to see Brod Frias and Walt Nadeau getting some action in at ILB - they'll be our starters there next year and the PT can't hurt their development one bit.

Kluge is running the ball real well. Passing isn't half bad either - though that's just the level of competition, he's a very raw and undeveloped passer. But the running is for real.

They put together a pretty impressive drive near the end of the 3rd and make it 42-7 as we contribute by making a couple of stupid penalties and that's how the quarter ends.

4Q: We add a few points and end up winning 52-7.

A pretty convincing and dominating win against a team that isn't in our class. Good way to get some development time in for our younger players though. And a "W" never hurts.

USC 52 -- Plymouth State 7
PAC-10 (0-0) -- OVERALL (1-0)

WEEK 2, 2022
Open Date
USC BCS RANK: #2

Continued making first contacts with student-athletes we have identified as our top priority recruits, and made just a few follow up calls this week. Among the top prep stars we are pursuing are OT Ray Herbert from Maine, RB Phillip Farrell from NY, DE Bucky Lauritzen from Illinois, CB Levon Stokes from Massachusetts and OG Lincoln Fleming from New York. Among the top california high schoolers we're recruiting are DE Reggie Crawford, Safety Phillip Crawford and CB Rich Springer.

If things go according to plan, we should land a bumper crop of recruits this year.

PAC-10 (0-0) -- OVERALL (1-0)

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #222
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 Season (1st Qtr-B)

Southern Cal 2022 Season (1st Qtr-B)

WEEK 3, 2022
vs. Minnesota (0-1)
(USC -10) USC BCS RANK: #9

As always, the early BCS rankings jump all around. They're not worth paying attention to until about week 4 or 5.

We play the Golden Gophers of the University of Minnesota this week. The Gophers run a Pro formation offense but have a below average quarterback at the helm - 5th year senior Vinny Murray.

They've got average to slightly above average runnings backs and receivers, so again, a straight up 3-4 defense with normal nickel, dime and goalline usage should do the trick. We're not going to double cover anyone -- there's not a big enough disparity in their receivers in my opinion to require that. We'll be sending WLB Matt Blackston practically the entire game - though last week he didn't have much to show for his efforts.

Code:
Southern California Roster, Injury Report Player # Pos Elig Health Injury Full Strn. Myers, Al 86 WR Sr Out Dislocated Elbow 13 Weeks McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* Out Broken Fibula 15 Weeks

Our bench is a little banged up this week, but our starters are all healthy.

Spent the recruiting week making follow up phone calls and visits. Already have a kid visiting campus. If everything works out it should be another pretty solid recruiting year for us.

Gameday

1Q: We start off the game nicely, picking off Vinny Murray's first pass of the day and CB Brad Knight takes it to the house - 7-0 SC. They return a punt later on in the quarter for a score to tie the game. They're doing a very good job of containing our running game so far. And that's how the quarter ends, 7-7. We've done a great job stopping their offense so far, but we can't really get anything going yet either.

2Q: We get a good drive going and our running game cranked up to start the second quarter and push the ball in to take a 14-7 lead on a counterplay by WB Alf Snyder after a great block by freshman TE Randy Fix.

Safety Jared Esparza picks off another Murray pass and brings it back to the Gopher 8. A couple of penalties by us push us back to the 18 where TB Ike Daugherty takes it in from 18 yards out behind a Des Connell block. 21-7 USC.

ILB Walt Whalen picked off a Murray pass on the next drive and took it to the house to give us a 21 point lead, 28-7. Defensively we're just killing them.

They punt on their next drive and QB Kenny Finch gets injured but remains in the game, hitting WR Britt Wells with a 16 yard scoring strike. 35-7 Southern Cal. CB Chris Knight then proceeded to pick off a Murray bomb in our endzone for a touchback. As the half was winding down Finch hit Britt Wells again with a 56 yard bomb to set up a 3 yard scoring run by Ike Daugherty. 42-7 SC. Minnesota pulled Murray and that's how the half ended.

Halftime notes: We played absolutely dominating defense in the first half and the offense finally started to get in gear. Vinny Murray had no chance as he was pressurred all half and our secondary just outplayed his receivers.

I expect to see Offensive Coordinator Spencer Farley pull Finch soon.

3Q: Tony Felkey replaced Finch on the first drive of the second half. WB Alf Snyder appears to be seriously injured - not good. We score once and the quarter ends with us up 49-7.

4Q: We score some more and basically just run the clock out for a 59-7 win.

Our defense was overwhelming today, holding Minnesota to 80 yards total offense.

Offensively we controlled the ball for over 39 minutes and just ran them into the ground. TB Ike Daugherty had 106 yards and 2 touchdowns on 18 carries and our backups got plenty of work.

A very good win against a team clearly not in our class.

USC 59 -- Minnesota 7
PAC-10 (0-0) -- OVERALL (2-0)

WEEK 4
Open Date.
USC BCS RANK: #15

UCLA and Virginia are off to good starts, ranked #1 and #2 in the BCS at the moment. We have an open date this week, so most of our time will just be spent following up with recruits.

PAC-10 (0-0) -- OVERALL (2-0)

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #223
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 MEDIA SNIPPETTS

LA TIMES
Week 5, 2022

It's still very early in the college football season, but we can't help but note the Southern Cal Trojans appear to be a team on a mission this season. Through their first two games, the men of troy have scored 111 points and allowed only 14. Clearly we here at the Times thought, SC is playing exceptionally high quality football.

Thus it was much to our surprise that one notable exception to that chain of thought could be found in none other than USC's Head Coach, Bear Growlz. Growlz told the Times, "I'm not entirely pleased with how our offense has been playing. I'd like to see more consistency and a higher level of focus from our offensive unit."

Is the coach watching the same team we are?

Or is it simply that only one thing will satisfy Coach Growlz this season.

A return to The Rose Bowl and another National Championship.

# # #

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS
Week 5, 2022

Coach Growlz Did it in the Library With the Candlestick

Anyone familiar with the childhood game of Clue readily will recall such a line as our headline.

But whats that got to do with USC and Coach Bear Growlz?

The Southern Cal football program has been written about, praised and cursed extensively over the past three seasons of their outstanding run of title game appearances. But one item has, unbelievably so, been overlooked by all the media scions that cover the team.

Coach Growlz is a scout killer.

Bear Growlz is in his 15th season at Southern Cal - amazing for any coach to stay with a program for so long, aside from the eternally stuffed Joe Paterno at Penn State who coaches the Nittany Lions from the grave while communicating through seances with his Psychic/Taxidermist who then relays the plays in to the quarterback via hand signals. But that's another story altogether. Let's just leave it at saying that when folks take home a Joe Paterno bobblehead from a Penn State game, they never actually know if they've got a piece of game worn Joe Paterno or not.

Anyway, while Growlz' 15 year tenure at SC is pretty amazing these days, his scouts alas, can't say the same thing. Oliver Henry lasted a year and got the axe. Wally Campana lasted two before he retired due to stress. Daryl Hester two years before he got his pink slip.

Then came Bubba Embry who lasted two seasons before he couldn't handle the stress and retired. Lance Coe, three years and the axe fell.

Finally, the longtermer - Lester Stargell, lasted four years before he retired due to overwork and stress.

Four years on the job for a Southern Cal Lead Scout?

Clearly Coach Growlz has mellowed with old age.

-20-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #224
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Bear Growlz is in his 15th season at Southern Cal - amazing for any coach to stay with a program for so long, aside from the eternally stuffed Joe Paterno at Penn State who coaches the Nittany Lions from the grave while communicating through seances with his Psychic/Taxidermist who then relays the plays in to the quarterback via hand signals. But that's another story altogether. Let's just leave it at saying that when folks take home a Joe Paterno bobblehead from a Penn State game, they never actually know if they've got a piece of game worn Joe Paterno or not.

Classic, had me laughing quite well.

Glad to see we're back!

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #225
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

heh.

Glad you like it. It was an inspired moment.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #226
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

2022 USC Season (2nd Qtr.-A)

WEEK 5
@ Stanford (3-0) (PAC-10) *TV4*
(Even) USC BCS RANK: #9

We open our PAC-10 schedule with a bit of a surprise challenge. Stanford is playing well and this could be a difficult challenge if we're not careful.

The Cardinal run a pro formation offense and offensive coordinator Freddie Morrisey has been running it a good fifteen years. He's by no means an offensive genius, but Stanford should have the offense down pretty pat with him calling the plays. Their quarterback is senior Ralph Duffy. Duffy doesn't have the strongest arm in the world and is prone to being picked off and sacked quite a bit. So we'll be blitzing him a lot trying to make him throw with pressure and create some turnovers. They don't run the ball a lot, but have fairly talented backs - senior Arnold Doebler might give us some trouble if they decide to run. Their receivers are fairly capable, with no one standing out particularly, so we won't be double teaming much. We probably won't go to an extraordinary amount of nickel or dime sets - I know they don't run a lot but I am somewhat concerned about Doebler. I think our secondary can handle the passing game in a straight 34, man to man set.

Code:
The College Years Southern California Roster, Injury Report Player # Pos Elig Health Injury Full Strn. Snyder, Alfred 25 RB Sr* Questionable Stretched Knee Li 8 Weeks Myers, Al 86 WR Sr Out Dislocated Elbow 11 Weeks McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* Out Broken Fibula 13 Weeks

Myers and McIntyre are both out and Alf Snyder probably won't play - or play much if he does get into a game. I still can't quite figure out, after all this time, how to completely prevent a player from appearing in a game. Even if I remove him from my offense, he still will end up making an appearance on special teams - and that stinks when you're trying to get a player to recover from an injury. In any case, redshirt senior Jeff thompson will start at Wingback in Snyder's place.

Quarterly grades came out this week and the team is doing extremely well academically. We only had one student-athlete with anything below a C-. So we'll allocate some coaching blocks to some players with C- grades as well.

Many of the recruit we're pursuing are also being recruited by the University of Virginia. We're rapidly developing what looms as a major rivalry with them. It'll be interesting to see if both schools can make it back to the national title game again.

Gameday.

1Q: Kenny Finch struck lightning fast with two big pass plays in the first 1:40 of the game, one a 37 yard scoring strike to Alf Snyder, who insisted on playing, for a touchdown. 7-0 SC.

The Cardinal came out running and Doebler was putting together some decent runs against us, but then Stanford went to the air and their drive stalled.

Later in the first the Cardinal drove into field goal range but their kicker missed a 44 yarder. And that's how the first quarter ended, USC up 7-0.

2Q: Burt Givens kicked a field goal to get the 2nd off on the right foot and we go up 10-0.

Our defense is stopping them cold, but we're not generating a lot of offense. we're getting into 3rd and long situations and their pass rush is getting to Finch. We're not exactly the best pass blocking team in the nation, and they've taken Kenny down twice already.

Finally, we got what we'd been looking for. ILB Monty Garcia picked off a Duffy pass and returned it to the Stanford 45 where we ground it down the field and Kenny finch ran it in from 4 yards out for a 17-0 Trojan lead. Ike Daugherty carried the load on that drive and is having a solid game at tailback.
Our defense continues to dictate the game to Stanford, as we backed them up to their own 1 yard line and forced a punt, giving us great field position at their 37, from which we proceeded to run and grind the clock down leading to an Ike Daugherty touchdown run putting us up 24-0. A quick interception and a field goal by Burt Givens as time expired gave Southern Cal a 27-0 lead at the half.

Halftime notes: defensively we've completely shut the Cardinal down in the first half, allowing only 45 yards of total offense. Every pass by Duffy is being swatted down at the line or being picked off or he's being harassed into throwing early. It's nice when your game plan works exactly as you designed it.

Offensively, Kenny Finch isn't getting a lot of time to throw, but fortunately our running game started to pick it up and we have run for 128 yards through the end of the half. We're getting great field position thanks to our defense and we've blown this one wide open - much to the surprise of the oddsmakers who had the spread at even. Hopefully we'll keep it up in the second half.

3Q: We get a Burt Givens field goal in the third, but nothing else as we spend most of the third just grinding the clock out. Wideout britt Wells goes down with an injury - not good news.

4Q: A couple more Burt Givens kicks and we grind out the clock pretty successfully and win impressively, 36-0. A very good win for us and that'll make the pundits sit up and take notice that we're for real again this season.

USC 36 -- Stanford 0
PAC-10 (1-0) -- Overall (3-0)

-30-

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #227
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

After a long, long respite, I really began to miss TCY so I decided to pick this up to bring some closure to this career. I didn't feel like leaving it hanging, so on we go, picking up with Week 6, 2022.

Code:
Bear Growlz Coaching Record Year Team Record Post Rank Perf Acad Recr TV Tick Don Score 2021 Southern California 11-1 Yes 2 93 76 87 90 87 92 87 2020 Southern California 12-0 Yes 1 95 78 87 90 88 95 89 2019 Southern California 12-0 Yes 1 95 79 53 94 88 95 87 2018 Southern California 9-3 Yes 18 62 77 52 66 88 70 70 2017 Southern California 9-3 Yes 10 76 77 93 81 90 73 79 2016 Southern California 10-2 Yes 5 90 77 73 62 87 77 80 2015 Southern California 11-1 Yes 4 92 79 83 91 88 93 88 2014 Southern California 9-3 Yes 21 67 76 62 63 87 58 69 2013 Southern California 10-2 Yes 14 86 76 78 82 83 86 82 2012 Southern California 8-4 Yes 28 60 76 91 88 87 61 72 2011 Southern California 9-3 Yes 24 61 77 48 58 88 63 67 2010 Southern California 9-3 Yes 14 86 71 74 88 83 83 81 2009 Southern California 6-6 Yes 55 25 65 51 73 85 72 57 2008 Southern California 5-6 No 42 36 53 63 20 83 71 52 2007 Keene State 10-2 Yes 20 83 60 95 70 35 85 71 2006 Keene State 6-5 No 73 69 54 95 45 10 67 56 2005 Keene State 5-6 No 80 69 66 95 70 6 19 52 2004 Keene State 4-7 No 100 72 76 95 35 8 33 54 Post - Post-Season Appearance, Perf - Team Performance Score, Acad - Academic Performance Score, Recr - Recruiting Score, TV - Television Revenue Score, Tick - Ticket Revenue Score, Don - Alumni Donations Score

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #228
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

WEEK 6, 2022

We're well into recruiting season now and commitments and rejections should start flowing in. We also have a big matchup this week against conference foe Washington State.

Recruiting: We landed two recruits this week, one very highly coveted, OLB Perry Bouton from Frenchtown, NJ. Bouton was rated a 91 by our scouts but when I saw him play he looked better than that. With our linebacking corps very thin as it is and three of our starters graduating at the end of the season Bouton stands a chance to start as a true Freshman, even though his high school preparation is only mid-level - we really need to bring in some quality recruits at the backer spots.

Also signing a letter of intent with USC this week was local run-stuffing DE Reggie Crawford from Huntington Beach. Crawford was rated a 69 by our scouts but he looked a lot better than that when I saw him play - and he comes from a top high school football program. With two graduating starting defensive ends, Crawford may see a lot of playing time next year.

Gameday
vs. #23 Washington State (3-0)(PAC-10) *TV3*
(USC -5) USC BCS RANK: #6

We have the Cougars of Washington State coming into the Rose Bowl this weekend. They're off to a very solid start and are ranked in the BCS top 25. The Cougars are 3-0 in the Pac-10 and tied with us a half game behind 4-0 UCLA. We'll need to concentrate on stopping the run as Washington State Tailback Jared Garcia has 641 yards and a 5.6 YPC average through his first three games. I'm not really knocked over by the Cougars passing game, but Garcia looks like he'll be mighty tough to stop.
We're a bit bitten by the injury bug and starting Wingback Al Snyder will be a scratch. Wideout Britt Wells will give it a go even though he's got turf toe.

Code:
USC Trojan Injury Report Player # Pos Elig Health Injury Full Strn. Wells, Britt 6 WR So Probable Turf Toe Unknown Snyder, Alfred 25 RB Sr* Questionable Stretched Knee Li 7 Weeks Myers, Al 86 WR Sr Out Dislocated Elbow 10 Weeks Esparza, Jared 20 S Sr Probable Bruised Ribcage 3 Weeks McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* Out Broken Fibula 12 Weeks

1st Qtr: A very defensive first quarter left both teams struggling to get anything going. A Southern Cal drive was stopped at the Washington State 37 and the ball went over on downs when Kenny Finch couldn't convert a 4th down pass. Our run defense has been exceptional, holding Garcia and Company to -7 yards on the ground. I'd like a little more from our offense though. No score after one.

2nd Qtr: A Russell Warren interception around midfield gives us a big break. We're having difficulty running the ball as well today, but Kenny Finch seems to be moving us downfield through the air pretty well right now.

After Finch loosened things up through the air Ike Daugherty pounded it into the end zone on the ground the last two plays of the drive to put us up 7-0.

We were really doing a number shutting down the Cougars' running game until sprung a trap off left guard for 30 yards. Hopefully that's an anomaly and we get back to the shutdown run defense we have been playing.

Another solid run for Garcia for 15 but then the Trojan D stiffened and forced a punt. Good stuff.

The rest of the half was uneventful except for an injury to Britt Wells. Don't know whether he'll be back or not. That's a big loss. Our defense is playing spot on, holding Washington State to 54 total yards of offense - 36 of them on the ground. We head into halftime up 7-0 and we could use a little more offense.

3rd Qtr: Britt Wells did return from that 2nd quarter injury and announced his presence with authority, hauling in a 43 yard scoring strike from kenny Finch 3 minutes into the third to put USC up 14-0.

The defense steps up to the plate and a big pick by Senior ILB Monty Garcia stops Washington State in their tracks and puts us in scoring position in Cougar territory.

Our running game finally gets going on the shoulders of Tailback Ike Daughtery who simply pounds the ball downfield eventually scoring on a three yard triple option out of our wishbone attack. That puts us up 21-0 and the way our defense is playing that should be enough. But we'll see.

After trading ineffective drives Washington State (QB) Gerald Jaster hits (WR) Bryce Blackner on a 39 yard scoring strike narrowing the score to 21-7. Jaster has, for the most part, been rather ineffective today, but he sure got the job done on that play.

That'll be enough of that.

And that's how the 3rd quarter ended, USC 21, Washington State 7.

4th QTR: The Trojans pass rush is really making Jaster pay every time he drops back, sacking him a couple of times early in the 4th quarter and forcing a punt from the Cougar 2 yard line - setting USC up in prime scoring position at the Washington State 37.

Despite moving the ball well we shoot ourselves in the foot with some dumb penalties and miss an opportunity to ice the game, having to settle for a field goal and going up 24-7. We've got 364 total yards of offense and only 24 points - we're keeping State in the game at this point.

Our defense dominates the rest of the way and we add another two touchdowns when State goes for it on 4th and long deep in their own territory and fittingly enough gets sacked - as the Trojan defense records 6 sacks on the day, 2.5 by (DE) Austin Lew and another 2 by (DE) ??? Battle.

Our defense really won the day holding Jared Garcia to 39 yards on the ground on 15 carries and making life utterly miserable for Gerald Jaster, who went 8 for 35 for 125 yards, 1 touchdown and was picked off 3 times on the day. A thoroughly dominating defensive performance by 1st year Defensive Coordinator Horace Brusca's unit.

USC (QB) Kenny Finch was the offensive star of the day going 22 for 31 for 276 yards and tossing 1 score to Brott Wells, who led the way receiving with 7 receptions for 112 yards and one score.

All in all a nice win for us, a little more difficult than I would have liked early, but the defense just shut down State and we ended up running away with it at the end.

USC 38 -- Washington State 7
PAC-10 (2-0) -- Overall (4-0)

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #229
Izulde
Head Coach

Glad to see this back.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #230
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Week 7, 2022

After a convincing PAC-10 win over Washington State we head into Week 7 ranked #1 in the BCS and #2 in the voter polls behind old nemesis Virginia. The Cavaliers whipped up on us in last year's National Championship Game to the tune of 35-3. So we've got a score to settle there.

Here's to hoping we get the opportunity.

Aside from beating us in last season's BCS title game, Virginia is the only school that has a higher prestige than Southern Cal. Our prestige right now is Excellent-98 while the Cavaliers prestige is Excellent-100. So there's even more reason to get that unfinished business done and get back to the BCS title game and stick a whuppin on the University of Virginia - we'd sure like to say we're the most prestigious football program in the country, bar none.

Here's a look at all Division I prestige rankings.

Code:
Team Record Bowls Champ PStrk LWSt LLSt LPSt Prestige Virginia 186-33 11-5 1 14 42 6 14 100 **Southern California 167-52 12-4 2 13 36 3 13 98 Florida 204-32 10-8 3 18 55 3 18 97 Iowa 184-37 12-6 1 18 31 4 18 96 UCLA 184-36 11-7 0 18 24 4 18 94 Penn State 177-44 13-5 1 18 17 4 18 88 Rice 174-42 9-5 0 11 20 4 11 87 Boston College 156-59 8-5 0 9 14 3 9 84 Alabama 177-57 11-7 0 18 12 2 18 83 Michigan 172-49 12-6 3 18 15 4 18 83 Texas A&M 183-46 8-9 2 4 18 3 13 82 Syracuse 182-39 10-8 1 18 26 3 18 81 Notre Dame 170-51 14-4 0 18 20 4 18 81 Toledo 168-56 8-5 0 9 14 4 9 79 California 158-60 9-7 0 15 12 6 15 79 Hawaii 158-61 10-4 0 0 14 3 7 78 Wisconsin 148-68 9-4 0 12 11 6 12 78 Georgia Tech 147-71 8-8 0 14 11 6 14 78 Miami of Ohio 159-64 7-5 0 1 16 4 6 77 South Florida 157-59 7-7 0 1 17 6 10 76 Pittsburgh 154-65 12-4 0 14 12 3 14 76 Wake Forest 113-98 6-2 0 3 10 7 3 76 San Diego State 115-99 2-9 0 4 10 21 5 75 Colorado State 147-71 3-11 0 2 12 5 9 74 Marshall 160-65 8-5 0 0 20 3 6 73 Miami of Florida 129-86 5-7 0 5 13 4 5 73 Middle Tennessee State 141-68 1-6 0 2 9 5 2 72 Green Mountain 135-76 5-3 0 1 8 4 4 72 Air Force 129-85 5-6 0 4 12 4 4 72 Louisville 161-54 3-10 1 0 23 4 8 71 South Carolina 152-66 10-6 0 8 11 3 8 71 Maine 115-95 2-3 0 1 8 4 3 71 Baylor 96-112 1-4 0 2 6 14 2 71 Utah 145-72 4-11 0 0 10 5 11 70 Michigan State 141-76 8-6 0 2 10 5 5 70 North Carolina State 139-81 4-13 0 10 8 4 10 70 Nevada-Las Vegas 128-86 2-10 0 1 14 5 3 70 Kent State 101-102 0-1 0 0 6 7 1 70 Navy 93-117 2-5 0 3 5 9 3 70 Fresno State 115-90 1-1 0 0 7 5 1 69 Tulsa 115-91 3-1 0 0 8 6 1 69 Ball State 107-99 1-1 0 0 10 6 1 69 New Mexico State 106-99 1-2 0 1 5 5 1 69 Illinois 91-117 2-3 0 4 6 7 4 69 Nebraska 172-58 8-10 0 18 11 4 18 68 Tennessee 128-89 10-5 0 1 8 5 10 68 Army 87-115 1-0 0 0 7 16 1 68 Keene State 159-56 7-5 0 0 39 3 12 67 Memphis 124-85 0-6 0 2 8 5 2 67 Washington 115-98 4-6 0 3 11 14 4 67 Western Michigan 109-102 4-1 0 1 10 8 2 67 Dartmouth 66-138 1-0 0 0 7 15 1 67 Vanderbilt 122-89 5-4 0 2 7 6 3 66 Arkansas State 117-88 1-2 0 0 9 6 1 66 Stanford 112-101 3-7 0 2 6 6 3 66 Oklahoma 134-84 4-9 1 1 8 5 5 65 Colorado 130-91 7-7 0 1 9 5 9 65 Louisiana-Lafayette 112-94 1-2 0 0 6 5 1 65 Purdue 92-116 0-5 0 1 8 8 2 65 East Carolina 79-125 0-1 0 0 5 8 1 65 Washington State 125-91 6-5 0 0 8 5 5 64 Southern Methodist 111-94 2-1 0 0 7 8 3 64 Missouri 106-107 2-6 0 0 6 6 5 64 Brigham Young 100-109 0-7 0 0 7 6 3 64 Central Florida 84-119 0-0 0 0 6 8 0 64 Louisiana-Monroe 72-130 0-0 0 0 5 12 0 64 West Virginia 131-85 5-7 0 0 13 5 5 63 Virginia Tech 124-91 5-8 0 0 9 6 7 63 Maryland 111-100 2-6 0 0 7 7 2 63 Arkansas 101-106 1-3 0 0 9 6 2 63 Houston 92-111 1-0 0 0 5 10 1 63 San Jose State 71-131 0-0 0 0 4 24 0 63 Texas Christian 133-79 3-6 0 0 17 5 7 62 Texas 131-84 5-5 1 0 25 8 5 62 Connecticut 68-136 0-0 0 0 3 8 0 62 Ohio State 86-120 1-2 0 0 7 18 3 61 North Carolina 84-123 2-3 0 0 8 14 2 60 Bowling Green 125-85 3-2 0 0 8 9 2 59 Iowa State 63-141 0-1 0 0 4 19 1 59 Georgia 95-113 2-2 1 0 11 10 2 58 Plymouth State 79-125 0-0 0 0 5 8 0 58 Texas-El Paso 64-140 0-0 0 0 7 21 0 58 Eastern Michigan 61-141 0-0 0 0 3 10 0 58 Auburn 54-148 0-0 0 0 3 25 0 58 Kansas State 108-103 3-4 0 0 5 8 6 57 Mississippi 90-118 3-2 0 0 5 9 3 57 Northern Illinois 87-117 0-1 0 0 6 6 1 57 Oregon 85-122 2-2 0 0 6 13 3 57 Ohio 64-139 0-0 0 0 5 9 0 57 Boise State 110-94 0-3 0 0 10 6 2 56 Troy 88-116 0-1 0 0 5 12 1 56 Texas Tech 82-121 1-1 0 0 8 13 1 56 Maine Maritime 78-124 0-0 0 0 4 15 0 56 Cincinnati 63-140 0-0 0 0 5 11 0 56 Kansas 51-151 0-0 0 0 3 19 0 56 Mississippi State 38-164 0-0 0 0 3 19 0 56 New Hampshire 65-137 0-0 0 0 7 10 0 55 Tulane 50-152 0-0 0 0 4 13 0 55 Alabama-Birmingham 44-158 0-0 0 0 4 14 0 55 Louisiana State 109-102 5-2 0 0 10 7 6 54 Florida State 87-122 4-2 0 0 7 12 6 54 Arizona 51-151 0-0 0 0 4 20 0 54 Oregon State 49-155 1-0 0 0 3 17 1 54 North Texas 100-107 3-1 0 0 8 11 2 53 Northwestern 66-138 0-0 0 0 4 8 0 53 Central Michigan 65-137 0-0 0 0 4 12 0 53 Utah State 64-138 0-1 0 0 3 12 1 53 Clemson 61-144 2-1 0 0 7 21 2 53 Kentucky 51-151 0-0 0 0 3 21 0 53 Akron 43-159 0-0 0 0 2 16 0 53 Duke 27-175 0-0 0 0 2 33 0 53 Arizona State 80-130 2-5 0 0 8 18 4 52 Southern Mississippi 69-135 0-1 0 0 8 17 1 52 New Mexico 48-155 0-0 0 0 5 11 0 52 Buffalo 46-157 0-0 0 0 3 14 0 52 Oklahoma State 72-132 1-0 0 0 3 10 1 51 Nevada 32-170 0-0 0 0 2 23 0 51 Rutgers 44-161 0-1 0 0 5 15 1 50 Wyoming 43-160 0-0 0 0 3 25 0 50 Idaho 39-162 0-0 0 0 3 19 0 49 Minnesota 58-149 1-3 0 0 9 22 3 48 Indiana 39-163 0-0 0 0 4 30 0 48 Louisiana Tech 48-155 0-0 0 0 3 19 0 47 Temple 36-167 0-0 0 0 2 24 0 46 Vermont 30-173 0-0 0 0 4 30 0 44 Champ - Solecismic Championships, PStrk - Consecutive Post-Season Appearances, LWSt - Longest Winning Streak, LLSt - Longest Losing Streak, LPSt - Longest Post-Season Appearance Streak

Recruiting: Center Terrel Sebastian from North Miami High School in Miami,FL has decided to become a Trojan next season. Sebastian comes from a good program at North Miami and should be a monster run blocker - though he may be a little weak in pass protection. Our scouts rated him an 88 but he looked better than scouted when I saw him play. With Sophomore starter Joel Woodson returning next season Sebastian should compete with redshirt Jim Slusher for the backup role next year.

Gameday
@ Arizona (2-2) (PAC-10) *TV4*
(USC -15) USC Coaches Poll Rank: #2

The Trojans travel to Tuscon this week to face a middle of the pack Wildcat squad. Definitely need to avoid a let down type of game which we've sometimes been guilty of falling into in the past. Offensively Arizona doesn't appear real immpressive - starting (QB) A.J. Middleton is out for the year undergoing knee surgery. I think we'll try and focus on stopping (RB) Jerald Perralta - (WR) Ronald Johnston may be the bigger threat but the Wildcats don't have anybody that can get the ball to him. Let's hope I'm right about that anyway.

We got a bit banged up last week and our injury list just keeps growing longer and longer.

Code:
The College Years Southern California Roster, Injury Report Player # Pos Elig Health Injury Full Strn. Wells, Britt 6 WR So Probable Turf Toe Unknown Snyder, Alfred 25 RB Sr* Questionable Stretched Knee Li 6 Weeks Myers, Al 86 WR Sr Out Dislocated Elbow 10 Weeks McWilliams, Mel 98 DT Sr Probable Bruised Shoulder 2 Weeks Esparza, Jared 20 S Sr Probable Bruised Ribcage 2 Weeks Jeffers, Floyd 72 DE Sr Out Broken Wrist 8 Weeks McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* Out Broken Fibula 11 Weeks Horie, Tyrone 28 FB Sr* Out Arthroscopic Knee 7 Weeks

We're really going to miss (DE) Floyd Jeffers who has 4.5 sacks, 7 TFL and 3 hurries through 4 games. We're getting really thin at the end position on defense. We'll keep Snyder out again but Wells will give it a go.

1st QTR: #1st team All Pac-10 (CB) Brad Knight puts an end to an early Arizona drive by picking off the Wildcats backup passer Alvin George early in the first quarter. Jerald Perralta looked pretty good on that drive. I'd like to take advantage of the turnover and put some points up right away.

We put together a nice drive with Kenny Finch throwing the ball around but the wildcats keep our running game in check and we settle for a Burt Givens field goal to go up 3-0 with 7:10 left in the first. We've only managhed 7 yards rushing - we really need Ike Daugherty to start picking up his game this year.

Defensively Southern Cal forces a three and out and then we score off a pretty option play Finch to Daugherty followed up by a trap play by Ike Daugherty who scampered 37 yards for the touchdown. That's what I mean by picking your game up Ike.

Arizona finished the first quarter driving to the Trojan 8 and getting into deep scoring position on the arm of Wildcat (QB) ??? George. We'll need to dig in to try and keep them out of the end zone.

2nd Qtr: The Trojan D bent but didn't break keeping Arizona out of the end zone and the Wildcats settled for a trey, leaving USC up 10-7.
Both teams dug in defensively for most of the rest of the second period but then Southern Cal Tailback Ike Daugherty took over pounding the ball on the ground - breaking one run for 39 yards - and paving the way for a one man drive to put USC up 17-3 with 3:05 left in the half. We've pounded out 122 yards on the ground so far mainly on the legs of Daugherty. Like to see us keep that up and just dominate on the ground the rest of the way.

Neither offense could do anything with the limited time left and we went into the halftime break up 17-3.

Halftime Notes: Mission accomplished so far in containing Arizona (RB) jerald Perralta as we've held the Wildcats to 25 yards rushing in the first half. Kenny Finch isn't having his greatest day throwing the ball but he's running the option play very well and Tailback Ike Daugherty is having a terrific day rushing the ball. I'm quite pleased Arizona hasn't been able to get anything going against our defense and we're playing mistake free football on offense, grinding down the Wildcat defense. Now if we can just rinse and repeat for the second half we'll be home free.

3rd Qtr: Most of the third quarter was a defensive struggle, neither club able to do much with the football. Then Jerald Perralta busted a 30 yard run against us and George started throwing the ball around and all of a sudden our lead had been cut to 7, 17-10 with 4 minutes left in the third. A bit too close for comfort against these guys. Time for us to wake up.

So much for mistake free football as we cough the ball up on our own 33 and the Wildcats just overpower us with their running game with Perralta ultimately taking it in from 3 yards out to tie the score at 17 - and that's how the third quarter ended.

4th Qtr: Starting late in the third Southern Cal began a slow, methodical drive down the field, mixing Ike Daughterty runs and the occassional big Kenny Finch pass play culminating in a Finch 8 yard scoring strike to Senior backup (FB) Spencer Washington - starting in place of the injured Tyrone Horie - to put us up 24-17 with 9:42 left in the game.

We've really started to grind the ball on the ground with Ike Daugherty as we've rushed for 172 yards now. Finch has been hot and cold today, so Ike needs to keep carrying the load.

Arizona began a nice looking drive that stalled around our 35 with some timely double coverage on Wildcat (WR) Ronald Johnston and the Cats missed a file goal giving us the ball back and a chance to wrap the game up with 5:21 left on the clock.

After a couple of changes of possessions Ike Daugherty took over and just rolled over the Arizona defense, running our the clock and preserving the Trojan 24-17 victory.

Postgame Notes: A big game for Southern Cal Tailback Ike Daugherty, who rushed for 193 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries (6.8 YPC) and really led the way to the Trojan win.

As expected Arizona (RB) Jerald Perralta was the biggest threat we faced, rushing for 110 yards and 1 touchdown on 23 carries (4.7 YPC). But on a sour note, Perralta left the game late in the fourth quarter with a concussion and his career appears to be over as he has been diagnosed with Repetitive Concussion Syndrome. What a bad, bad break for the young man.

Overall I'm pleased with the outstanding performance from Daugherty but a bit let down with Kenny Finch's hot and cold efforts. I think we played well defensively - allowing only 246 total yards - but this isn't by any stretch of the imagination a dynamic Arizona offense. A win is a win is a win, but I think we'll need to bring our game to the next level if we want to be playing for a national championship - let alone the PAC-10 crown.

USC 24 -- Arizona 17
PAC-10 (3-0) -- Overall (5-0)

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #231
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

USC Trojans
Week 8, 2022

Recruiting: Fullback James Sawyer out of Starpoint High School in Lockport, NY has signed a letter of intent with Southern Cal this week. Starpoint has a very solid football program and our scouts rated sawyer at 88 - but when I saw him play he looked much better than that. Sawyer could find himself in the mix next season as we're currently a bit thin at the fullback spot and Spencer Washington will be graduating this year.

We didn't impress anyone with out struggle against Arizona last week, but we didn't lose any ground in the Coach's Poll either, still ranked 2nd behind Virginia. We've just got to keep our eyes on the prize and focus on getting through our PAC-10 schedule undefeated and getting back to the BCS title game to topple Virginia and bring that national championship trophy home to Southern Cal.

Hard enough to do at that - and then there's our annual game against the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame in Week 13. Let's see if we're up to the job.

We'll be facing the Washington Huskies at the Rose Bowl this week. The Huskies come into the game at 3-3 (1-2 in the PAC-10) and are another team that we'll need to stuff the run against. Washington's passing game doesn't look too threatening so we'll be stacking against the running of (RB) Norman Barlow who has over 500 yards in 6 games and is averaging 5 yards per rush.

Our defensive line has been decimated by injuries - 3 of our 6 defensive ends are out for the game, one of our starters - Jeffers - and our first man off the bench - McIntyre - among them. We're so thin at end that walk-on Conrad Whiting may get some serious playing time today.

Code:
The College Years Southern California Roster, Injury Report Player # Pos Elig Health Injury Full Strn. Wells, Britt 6 WR So Probable Turf Toe Unknown Snyder, Alfred 25 RB Sr* Probable Stretched Knee Li 5 Weeks Myers, Al 86 WR Sr Out Dislocated Elbow 9 Weeks McWilliams, Mel 98 DT Sr Probable Bruised Shoulder 1 Week Esparza, Jared 20 S Sr Probable Bruised Ribcage 1 Week Jeffers, Floyd 72 DE Sr Out Broken Wrist 7 Weeks McIntyre, Shaun 77 DE Jr* Out Broken Fibula 10 Weeks Battle, Jamie 91 DE Fr Out Broken Ankle 8 Weeks Horie, Tyrone 28 FB Sr* Out Arthroscopic Knee 6 Weeks

Gameday
vs. Washington (3-3) (1-2, PAC-10) *TV5*
(USC -16) USC Coaches Poll Rank: #2

Gametime: As noted we're going to stack the line and try and stuff Barlow. I figure if we can shut him down our normal pass defense should be able to keep unimpressive Huskie (QB) Greg Orlaskey in check. We will however double team their best wideout, Winfred Hitchcock, about 1.3 of the time. We'll be running our normal Triple Option Wishbone with one wideout, Britt Wells (20 receptions for 387 yards) and one Tight End, usually Randall Fix. Alfred Snyder will be back in the lineup at Wingback, opposite Tailback Ike Daugherty.

1st Qtr: An early defensive stop gave the Trojans a short field to work with and Kenny Finch made short work of the Washington defense hitting Alf Snyder on a 13 yard scoring strike giving USC an early 7-0 lead. Good way to set the tone for the day, here's hoping we keep up the pressure early.

2nd Qtr: Neither team managed anything remotely resembling offense for the rest of the first quarter and Southern Cal took a 7-0 lead into the second period from whence the Trojans began a 10:30 minute drive from their own 9 yard line before the drive stalled and we settled for a field goal, going up 10-0 with about 4:30 left in the half.

Washington came right back on the kickoff, returning the kick 106 yards for a touchdown and narrowing our lead to 10-7. We've completely shut down the Huskies offense but our offense hasn't taken advantage of our defensive efforts and now we're being outplayed on special teams. This game is far too close for comfort, the way we're playing defense we should be blowing Washington out.

Neither school was able to get anything going the rest of the quarter and Southern Cal went into the break with a 10-7 lead.

Halftime Notes: The Trojan defense has stymied Washington's offensive unit, holding the Huskies to 28 total yards - 3 on the ground - and 2 first downs in the first half. But the Southern Cal offense has been unable to take advantage of the Huskies futility and Tailback Ike Daugherty went down with an injury late in the second quarter - I don't know if he'll be back for the second half. If not it'll be up to Alfred Snyder to carry the load on the ground.

Bottom line is we've got to start making plays offensively. Despite playing lights out defense we've let Washington hang around and hang around, and bad things happen when you do that.

3rd Qtr: We continue to be outplayed on special teams, a dumb penalty on the opening kickoff backs us up to our own 4 yard line. But Kenny Finch and Ike Daugherty run the triple option to perfection on the first play from scrimmage in the second half and Ike scampers 96 yards for a touchdown. Big, big play.

Guess Ike was ok after all.

USC 17-7.

Our defense stones the Huskies on the next drive giving us a short field. Despite that, we get nothing going but decide to go for it on 4th and 13 fronm the washington 30. on a gutcheck play Kenny Finch hits Tailback Ike Daugherty on a 30 yard bomb to put the Trojans up 24-7.

Talk about a quick momentum shift.

Our defense continues to play flawlessly but bad news on the offensive front as (QB) Kenny Finch goes down with a serious injury and is replaced by Tony Felkey. Deja vu all over again it seems.

The Huskies managed to put together a solid drive before the end of the third and close the gap to 24-10 as we head into the final frame. The game seems well in hand at this point, but the loss of Finch looms.

4th Qtr: Felkey really has trouble getting anything started against the Huskies defense and Greg Orlaskey suddenly looks like Tom Brady and picks apart the Trojan D, closing the gap to 24-17.

The game that seemed well in hand a few minutes ago seems much less so now, especially when we fumble the kickoff return with a full 10 minutes left in the game. The defense will really need to step up now.

And it does, forcing a punt and Southern Cal takes over at our own 11, whereupon Tony Felkey hits speedster Britt Wells on an 89 yard scoring strike to move the Trojans out in front 31-17 and in the process giving us a little breathing room. Well done defense and Felkey and Wells!

The USC defense kept the pressure on with a sack and then a pick but the offense could manage nothing more than a trey, upping the lead to 34-17. Whilst the offense looked unimpressive that drive and didn't take advantage of the turnover, that should be good enough to seal the "W"with 5 minutes left in the game.

Got to give credit to Washington (QB) Greg Orlaskey. There's simply no "quit" in him, as he leads the Huskies down the field with his arm for a touchdown that closes the USC lead to 10, 34-24, with 2:30 left in the game. The Huskies tried an onside kick but we recovered. But damn for an unimpressive looking passer Orlaskey has done a mighty fine job keeping Washington in this game.

We tack on a field goal and a pick-six in the closing minutes to make the margin of victory deceptively large, 44-24.

Postgame Notes: Offensively Tailback Ike Daugherty had another outstanding game, carrying the ball 31 times for 183 yards (5.9 YPC) and 1 touchdown while making 4 catches for 64 yards and another score. Wideout Britt Wells had a big day as well making 6 receptions for 162 yards and 1 score. Big numbers - 499 total yards - but lots of trouble punching it into the end zone until late in the game.

Defensively we held Washington to 278 total yards and picked off two Orlaskey passes while holding Hitchcock to 2 catches and Barlow to 58 yards on 13 carries. (NT) Mel McWilliams also sacked Orlaskey twice.
Looming over all however was kenny Finch's torn wrist ligament. Finch will miss the rest of the regular season and likely any bowl game Southern Cal plays. Finch played only 5 games last season and it looks like he'll top out at 6 this year.

The rest of the season is in Tony Felkey's hands.

Or more likely on Ike Daugherty's legs.

USC 44 -- Washington 24
PAC-10 (4-0) -- Overall (6-0)

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #232
dunkie23
n00b

Glad to see you back at this one, Bear! I'll be reading.
dunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #233
Groo
Mascot

This was an awesome dynasty report... made me go out and buy TCY

I hope you come back and continue it, or start a new one and maybe take Keene State all the way...
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote