Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yet another "fuck, we're old sports simmers" moment.

Front Page Sports Football Pro turns 25 this year

Front Page Sports Football - Wikipedia

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sports Sims - The only way to see the Detroit Lions win a playoff game in the last 25 years.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dang we are old dudes!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Heh - it scares me slightly that I've been working at Sports Interactive for over 20 years now .... one name change and three offices later and I'm still part of the furniture ... abeit furniture which is located in a different country from the office these days
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I still remember reading about Front Page Sports Football. I was at a magazine store in my hometown, and I remember being so excited hearing about a game that was putting the focus on the things I was interested in. I live about 300 miles away now, and that store is long gone. Crazy to think how much has changed in my life, however my love of the sports sims hasn't changed a bit!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Its pretty wild to think that I have essentially spent my entire adult life hanging around various iterations of this message board interacting with you guys, and it is all because of some odd niche love for text simulations. Closing in on 40 now and I still feel like the immature kid in a room full of my elders. Life has taken me a million different directions, but the one constant that has always been a part of my day for the past 20 years has been FOFC and text sims.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 05-17-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Wait, do you guys all still have landlines?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Heh - it scares me slightly that I've been working at Sports Interactive for over 20 years now .... one name change and three offices later and I'm still part of the furniture ... abeit furniture which is located in a different country from the office these days

Just out of curiosity Marc, what nom de plume did you go under in the CM days?

(Ok, the joke bombed, I know you meant going from CM to FM, not your own name, but I failed my save vs joke)
Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So I was about 11 when it came out. I remember receiving a copy of it for my birthday or something, didn't really do much with it. Was reading through the manual during a long car ride to some family get together and became absolutely obsessed with it and couldn't wait to give it ago. Years and years of playing it later, it didn't dissapoint.

First time I had played a sports game purely through coaching and gm.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I was one of the people who tried in vain to keep FB Pro '99 alive. I used to host some of the hacked game files on my site that made the game somewhat playable, and would get occasional notes from Sierra to take them down.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My happy days... checking the mail for the Sierra magazine and seeing it in there!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-18-2018 at 10:19 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

I bought the first FPS FB game in a box, from a software store, and I recall sitting for maybe 45 minutes in a Taco Bell (that no longer exists) just reading the booklet that came with it, basically fantasizing about how my life was going to change. That is a mild overstatement, but not much of one.

I played the ever loving hell out of every version of that game. Still could stand up and give a solid 60 minute lecture right now, with no prep, about the various tricks and tips I could offer to someone seeking to understand it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-18-2018 at 11:18 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
PilotMan
Head Coach

Loved that game. It's kind of funny how 30 years later we're still sitting here dreaming of a game that can give us the graphical simulation of this game, melded with a tactical genius of FOF. Would have thought that we'd have had this by now, considering where we are. Have to believe that in some way, the growth of Madden killed this off for us.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For me, it was nirvana. I mean, I had gotten started with sports sims in 1986 (radio Baseball).. but still..
Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
lungs
Pro Rookie

I remember drawing up some plays in the play editor and then printing them out and giving them to my 6th grade football coach. Needless to say, he didn't feel I was ready to command the run and shoot offense considering we only threw once or twice per game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I bought the first FPS FB game in a box, from a software store, and I recall sitting for maybe 45 minutes in a Taco Bell (that no longer exists) just reading the booklet that came with it, basically fantasizing about how my life was going to change. That is a mild overstatement, but not much of one.

I played the ever loving hell out of every version of that game. Still could stand up and give a solid 60 minute lecture right now, with no prep, about the various tricks and tips I could offer to someone seeking to understand it.
In a recent spate of spring cleaning, I cam across printouts of stats, rosters and other history from one of my original FPS dynasties. Given that I never print out anything these days from FOF or OOTP, I was stunned at how much I printed out back then.

But then again, I still have all of the box scores from my 1980s era Royals season replays using Micro League Baseball, and those suckers are dot matrix, so maybe I just had a problem back then.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #17
RedKingGold
College Starter

FPS 95' came as preloaded software on the Compaq computer by dad purchased from Sam's Club. I tried buying FPS 98' and 99' and installing it on that computer, but knew nothing about computers or specifications and could not get either to run.

Searching the Internet for anything like FPS led me to Front Office Football. I believe FOF 2, TCY and FOF 2001 had to be purchased on my mom's credit card because I was 14-16 years old when making those purchases.

I am now a married father of two children, both under 4 years old, and still play text sims.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #18
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Wait, do you guys all still have landlines?

My wife keeps telling me I should get around to getting one of those "cell" phones everyone's been talking about.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Bought FBPro 98 in 1997 at Electronic Boutique. 21 years later, I still play this game daily. There are none better in regards to graphical simulators.
Dolemite73 is offline   Reply With Quote