Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #301
spleen1015
Coordinator

Getting my wife pregnant is random, right?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #302
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Getting my wife pregnant is random, right?

Congrats!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #303
bhlloy
Coordinator

Out of context of this thread, that would be the greatest post in FOFC history.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #304
spleen1015
Coordinator

My second daughter is a dwarf. Had I know this when I got the opportunity to name her, I would have named her Tyriona.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #305
Izulde
Head Coach

It's much harder to advance from Count to Duke this game or heck, even adding additional territory not from religious enemies. Even when you get claims on counties, it's difficult to press them in war because it means going to battle with their liege in a lot of cases

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #306
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
My second daughter is a dwarf. Had I know this when I got the opportunity to name her, I would have named her Tyriona.

And some Duke in Holland asked if he could marry her. Sure buddy, go for it.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #307
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It's much harder to advance from Count to Duke this game or heck, even adding additional territory not from religious enemies. Even when you get claims on counties, it's difficult to press them in war because it means going to battle with their liege in a lot of cases

I was going to ask about this.

I started my first game a Earl Cadwgan of Glamoran. I have been trying to Fabricate Claims against Gwent right next door and it won't happen.

I was going to try and take them over and see if I could expand my empire that way. I was hoping I could start as a small little Earl and take over a few areas and see where it takes me.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #308
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I found it funny that when I hired some mercenaries and ran out of money, instead of just quitting, they signed on with my enemies and trashed my whole duchy.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #309
spleen1015
Coordinator

My dwarf daughter's husband died in prison. Is there any where I can go look to see why he was in prison and what he died from?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #310
MrBug708
Head Coach

Usually they just waste away in prison, not necessarily die. Good way to remove rebellious vassals without paying to execute them

But I dont think you can find out why, but I'm assuming he went to war with someone. Possible he was up to no good and his liege toss him in there where he died
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #311
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One thing I definitely would like to see in this game is a character log like in EU: Rome where you can see birth and death dates, but also important events in their life - this game is definitely missing that.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #312
MrBug708
Head Coach

CK 1 had birth dates, CKII has dates of death
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #313
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah you can see DOB and DOD but nothing else. A guy could have been given various titles, declared a rebellion, been jailed, released, and became steward - I'd like to have a log for each character that recorded that, like in EU: Rome.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #314
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah you can see DOB and DOD but nothing else. A guy could have been given various titles, declared a rebellion, been jailed, released, and became steward - I'd like to have a log for each character that recorded that, like in EU: Rome.

That would be great. I imagine the reason it's not in there is due to the sheer amount of data that the game would generate, given the amount of characters in the game world.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #315
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll have to update EU:Rome and try it again when I have the time. Right now I'm all about being Count of Altmark and having successfully gotten enough money to hire a mercanery band to capture Lappland and start carving my own kingdom in the frozen north.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #316
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
That would be great. I imagine the reason it's not in there is due to the sheer amount of data that the game would generate, given the amount of characters in the game world.

I'd settle for a 'cause of death'.....I guess that may be assuming a bit too much about the abilities of physicians in the 11th century, but there are times (death in battle, or childbirth, for example) when the cause should be easy to identify, and it would add so much intrigue/immersal to the game. Now when someone dies, and I have no idea what the cause was (although it will apparently drop a hint, if it was the result of an unknown plot), I'm always curious as to the context, but I get no clue.

Also, for those wanting to start at duke/count level, and are having time warring with anyone within their liege's domain, have you checked your liege's "crown authority" (though I'm not sure it's even possible to check, if you're not the ruler)? Anything above 'medium' revokes the right for vassals to war against themselves, and maybe that's what's preventing you from making any moves (although I don't have any experience playing anybody other than a ruler), and the higher levels will even prevent titles from leaving the kingdom through succession.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-15-2012 at 04:42 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #317
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think mercenaries, at least early on, might be a bit too powerful? I think there should at least be a delay in them arriving after being hired. Later in the game when other countries are hiring them out it's not such an issue, but in the first 20 or so years when my 350 strong army is hiring 2,250 mercenaries, I can't help but think 'why don't they just conquer this entire continent themselves....'
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #318
Izulde
Head Coach

I wouldn't want to see them nerf mercaneries. Otherwise there's no real way for lowly counts to have any hope of advancing through military might.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #319
thesloppy
Pro Starter

While I agree that the mercenaries seem a little too powerful for the early game, when you can barely squeeze 500 guys out of your biggest province, I dunno if anybody other than the largest kingdoms can afford them at that point either, so it seems to even out.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #320
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Taking a look at this. Is the game "random" each time you play it? If I pick the same starting date and same dynasty, will the game play out relatively the same? This is the problem I have with most historical type games. I understand that niche, it's just not one that I enjoy.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #321
ColtCrazy
College Starter

The only drawback to getting my Mac was the lack of good games. Excited to see CK2 will eventually be on the Mac (also just found out Vicky 2, Hearts 3, and EU3 are on the Mac...seems like I have some gaming money to save up)
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #322
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Taking a look at this. Is the game "random" each time you play it? If I pick the same starting date and same dynasty, will the game play out relatively the same? This is the problem I have with most historical type games. I understand that niche, it's just not one that I enjoy.

Each game will start the same, with historically dictated characters and borders, but from then on out, it will take a new form pretty much each game. I believe there is an option to have particular big events triggered at their historical times, but you can get rid of that as well. It definitely plays completely different on each play-through.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #323
Izulde
Head Coach

Whee, gave away my German counties little by little and now have enough cold ass counties to make my third or fourth generation count a Duke, just as soon as I get the cash.

I think the Holy Orders might be bugged. I thought they were supposed to be free if you were fighting pagans, but I have to buy 20 a month for the Knight Templars. Granted, they were very useful in my getting the counties I need for a duchy, because I was stuck on two counties for one duchy that there was no way I was going to be able to get a third because of those asshole Christians taking the pagan lands before me.

Enter Knights Templar, who help me gobble up three pagan counties I need for a different title. The third one happened -just- in the nick of time. I was about to run out of money in that second campaign

Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #324
MrBug708
Head Coach

Had my 59 year old King lose two brothers without sons and he had 5 daughters himself. Was going to have another child with wife #2 when she died before giving birth. Finally had three kids with wife #3, including two sons. About a month later, the King croaks, leaving his oldest son, King of Ireland at age 4 with most of the kingdom who hates him, but is too afraid to declare war.

It is cool to have the numerical besides the names, even if you manually change the names to do such things
Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #325
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I think the Holy Orders might be bugged. I thought they were supposed to be free if you were fighting pagans, but I have to buy 20 a month for the Knight Templars.

as far as i understood it that´s working as intended. They are free to hire (no big sum up front), but still have to be taken care of financially for their efforts and simply are more demanding in that regard than your average mercenary.

I am getting a little bit bored with my game allready, there´s just nowhere to go for me (Duke of Holland) with my neighbours having pretty strong Lieges. My whole court and family basically loves me, but is that enough to keep a man happy ? Just when i was wrapping it up yesterday came the call for a crusade though, maybe i´ll participate in that (hire some mercenaries for the cause as well).
Is it any usefull to go with the option that later lets you keep part of the conquered land ?

Other than that i just had my 52 year old Duke remarry after wife No1 died, got another daughter out of the deal (makes 5 to go with 2 sons) allready.
I also installed a mod that, among other things, allowed the option for women on the council.
I also kicked out the major of my biggest town and now get all the money from there, hehe. Minus a little penalty, but that i offset with a kickass lady stewart (who happened to be my lover and is now married to one of my sons )

Last edited by whomario : 02-16-2012 at 04:12 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #326
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Oh man, I was sick with a fever last night after playing CK2 for about an hour.

All night I kept on having fever dreams that I was the Duke and my son was turning on me because he wanted more power. I kept on waking up and knowing that it was fever dreams but I'd go back to sleep and BOOM, right back in.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #327
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I like the plots system in the game, but I feel that it's not quite there yet - there should be more plots available, for one thing. Also, I find it weird that people who really like me as King are the ones doing all the plotting - it seems wrong somehow. Shouldn't it be the disloyal malcontents doing that - not people who have 50+ opinion of me?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #328
PilotMan
Head Coach

As bad as I want this right now, it has to go get in line behind FM, and perhaps the new OOTP game, or at least until they drop the price to a different place. I love CK, but it's just not in the budget.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #329
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Also, I am playing as Denmark, the original king in 1066 has a ton of kids - many of them legitimized bastards - when he died in my game he had 13 of them, so the dynasty is huge! It's currently 1108 or something and there are already 69 dynasty members, 47 of them living - it would take 5 screenshots to show them all in dynasty view.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #330
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have started 2 games as someone with one territory under their control. I had zero success trying to take over other territories and building up that way.

How do you go to war against an independent? I feel like I am missing something.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #331
Izulde
Head Coach

Easiest way to go to war against an independent is to park your chancellor in the county and fabricate claims. Unless it's held by a Duke or a King. Then the chances of eventually fabricating a claim seem to be extremely small.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #332
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was able to fabricate claims, but I still was unable to Declare War because they were independent. When I mouse over Declare War it says I can't because they are independent.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #333
Peregrine
Pro Starter

When you click on the declare war option you will need to select the "Claim on XXX" option, then it should work.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #334
Peregrine
Pro Starter

My current Queen of Denmark, Queen Freja I, is quite a character. Only daughter of the last king, she was married to the King of England, who was completely useless, while she has great skills across the board, so she played a big role in ruling that country, I must assume. When he died, she came back and ruled as a Duchess in Denmark for a good while, then was elected Queen (Denmark has Cognatic-Agnatic Elective, so the king and the dukes vote on who the next leader should be.) She's got the trifecta - Greedy. Arbitrary, and Cruel. I call her the "Iron Queen." She jailed so many of her relatives for plotting, when I finally let one out a series of rebellions started, while fighting those off, one of my rebellious vassals got her excommunicated. She was stabbed in an assassination attempt but lived, hired mercs to put the rebellions down. At the end of it all, the coffers and muster rolls are drained, the wound is healed, the Pope came to see reason, but she's still in charge!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #335
Izulde
Head Coach

I read on the Paradox boards that there *will* be a Muslims playable DLC/expansion further on down the road. Hopefully pagans will get the same love.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #336
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I was able to fabricate claims, but I still was unable to Declare War because they were independent. When I mouse over Declare War it says I can't because they are independent.

You're misreading it. The red X is next to the "Person is independent" condition because it's false (meaning they are not independent), therefore you can't declare war.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #337
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
You're misreading it. The red X is next to the "Person is independent" condition because it's false (meaning they are not independent), therefore you can't declare war.

That totally makes sense! Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #338
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm enjoying the hell out of Spain in 1066. All the kingdoms are related by blood, and there's plenty of maneuvering going on that front, while there's also tons of little independent muslim provinces scattered about. You have to watch everybody else's war's closely, and choose your time right. I've been waiting for wars to start, and then picking off the weakling muslims while everyone else is occupied.

I started out as the King of Castille, and had doubled the size of my kingdom in ten years, by the time my brother, the King of Leon, poisoned me. Thankfully, I had just had a son the year earlier, and my boy was able to keep things moving steadily upwards....for 8 years, until the King of Leon assassinated him too. Now I'm guess who? Yes, the King of Leon, and I actually gained a province in the 'deal'. Unfortunately, I'm also cruel, craven, depressed, stressed, a kin slayer (leaving me with a zero in more than one attribute), and have a starting balance of -500 prestige.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #339
MrBug708
Head Coach

Welcome to Hollywood
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #340
Izulde
Head Coach

So the HRE jerkfaces created the Ducal title ahead of me, leading me to defect to Sweden because you can't usurp a title in your own realm. I am now Duke of Karleia (misspelled, I know) and hope to become King of Finland at some point, but apparently I have to become North German or Finno-Ugric before that.

Oh, and my son has a claim on the Holy Roman Empire through his mother, but the HRE is a blobby super power so I'm not ready to tackle them yet. I also have claims on ther territories through various of my vassals, including the County of Altmark, the family's ancestral home.

My family tree has expanded so much, there's even a von Goseck who is a Muslim count somewhere in Africa, but it's a very distant relationship and nothing claimable or anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #341
MrBug708
Head Coach

Be careful when attacking based on other claims. You don't get the land but your guy with the claim does.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #342
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Be careful when attacking based on other claims. You don't get the land but your guy with the claim does.

There's some exceptions based on if they're of the same dynasty as yours, though.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #343
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

I started out as the King of Castille, and had doubled the size of my kingdom in ten years, by the time my brother, the King of Leon, poisoned me. Thankfully, I had just had a son the year earlier, and my boy was able to keep things moving steadily upwards....for 8 years, until the King of Leon assassinated him too. Now I'm guess who? Yes, the King of Leon, and I actually gained a province in the 'deal'. ....

Umm I'm not sure i like that, it should be game over when your character is killed and there are no direct descendets to inherit your title but... yeah your brother is part of the familly so i understand why you became him... but still weird to become the guy who killed your character.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #344
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, most if not all of the Spanish kingdoms begin as eachother's heirs and/or pretenders in 1066, since they're brothers and sisters, and things can get very interesting for the first 20 or so years, while those lines converge or diverge.

When I went back and looked at exactly how/when the second assassination took place, it was either some ridiculously impressive AI or just a fluke. At that moment, the Kingdom of Leon was sandwiched completely between two kingdoms, Castille (me) on the East, and the region's largest Muslim sheikdom to the West. He was badly losing a war with the sheik at the time, to the point that 4 out of 5 of Leon's provinces were beaten and controlled by the Sheik, and the end was near for the King of Leon.....but then when he assassinated me, he didn't just absorb me into the Kingdom of Leon, he absorbed the province of Leon into Castille, and then made himself the King of Castille, while passing on the Kingdom of Leon to his infant daughter. As a result, his war with the Sheikdom (that he was on the very verge of losing his entire kingdom to) was immediately over, since he was now the King of Castille, and Leon had a new ruler (to which he is still the heir) who retained those lands that were previously conquered and occupied. So, he gained my land, immediately ended a war that would have cost him most, if not all of Leon, by giving it to his daughter, yet also remaining as heir to that kingdom. Now, a new attack on Leon is surely not far behind, but by leaving the buffer zone to his daughter, this dude will have plenty of warning, won't have to pay the price in prestige, or gold (at least not directly), and the Sheik may even be bound to a truce with Leon due to the previous war ending. Impressive!

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-17-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #345
whomario
Pro Starter

Restarted as King of Sweden yesterday, but in 1100 rather than 1066 as then i had a younger king and a clean slate in terms of family.

First Patch released (Steam will be available in a few more hours) :

Quote:
The Steam version will be out in a few hours...

Checksum: KUMH

CHANGE LOG:

- Loading a save where you had marked characters of interest or non-interest will no longer crash the game
- Fixed a bug with the de jure modifier not being initialized correctly for most kingdoms and above
- Fixed a tooltip crash in the Realm Tree
- Fixed an issue with long MP game connection times
- Fixed an issue with burgher heirs retaining burgher laws when inheriting a feudal demesne
- Fixed several script errors with the special CoAs in Dynasty CoA Pack DLC
- The texture in the Dynasty CoA Pack DLC now works correctly on all graphics cards
- Children of rulers now automatically get the appropriate claims when you start a new game (they don't need to be scripted in)
- Fixed the Steam install script so it won't run every time you start the application
- In order to ask for an invasion CB, you must be at peace and either have a claim on a primary title of the target's, or have fewer holdings in your realm
- AI will now change tech focus
- Revised reverse demands for CBs to make them more interesting
- Diplo AI: Will not allow matrilineal marriages with unimportant characters
- Diplo AI: Will say no to marriages that would make valuable courtiers (councillors) move
- Diplo AI: Will be reluctant to let skilled courtiers move to marry
- Diplo AI: Will now sometimes grant titles to unlanded courtiers again!
- Diplo AI: Fixed a bug where a completely beaten AI would surrender too easy
- Diplo AI: Muted AI spam about marriages if player already declined offer
- Diplo AI: Will not declare religious wars for overseas territories that de jure belong to an independent duke or king of its own faith
- Invasion AI: Better at not disembarking into an enemy army
- Invasion AI: Optimized prio target selection
- Invasion AI: Fixed an issue with pointless counter-invasions
- Invasion AI: Will now load armies in port when possible, in order to avoid loading armies onto the wrong fleets
- Invasion AI: Should now understand how to target peasant rebels
- Resigning now changes the checksum, so you cannot join an MP game without restarting the game (which would cause an OOS anyway.)
- Boosted the strength of peasant rebel units by 50%
- Fixed a bug with the CB for the Institute Gavelkind plot
- Upped the length of truces to 10 years (from 3)
- Added fractions to the revolt risk in the province view
- Added a monthly law vote check to make sure laws pass when they should
- Fixed a bug with port buildings not giving more galleys
- Fixed a problem with running the game on large TV screens
- Raised mercenary hire costs a little bit
- Flank leader damage bonus changed from 1% to 2% for each point in martial
- Fixed an issue where granting titles would disband troops
- Fixed an issue with a plot where the target would retain his title even when he folded
- Fixed a problem with playing the Earl of Durhamn causing immediate game over
- Ask for ransom interaction can now be initiated with the liege
- Ask to ransom interaction in the diplomacy window now has a proper title when selecting target
- Rebalanced the initial situation between William, Harald and Harold
- Gave Edward III a claim on France so the 100 years war bookmark will work correctly
- Corrected the history of Gevaudan to avoid dead "Serene Doges" of France at startup and make sure it has prince bishops at the end

Last edited by whomario : 02-17-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #346
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Umm I'm not sure i like that, it should be game over when your character is killed and there are no direct descendets to inherit your title but... yeah your brother is part of the familly so i understand why you became him... but still weird to become the guy who killed your character.

I think it depends on the succession law in place
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #347
Izulde
Head Coach

Note: You have to start a new game with the patch. I tried loading my old savegame and strange stuff kept happening like wars randomly starting and stopping

Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #348
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I loaded my old save and it seems okay so far - I'd hate to have to start a new game each time they patch.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #349
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mine was ok too
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #350
whomario
Pro Starter

any advice on how to deal with demesne size being too big ? Can i give a landed title to someone and then later give the same title to one of my own kids ?