Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #51
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's actually a minor trendy thing (or was at some point, I haven't noticed it much lately). A Google of the phrase "who the hell puts apples in slaw" produced a number of references to how wonderfully it goes with pork

I think Homeland Security should get involved now. That is just beyond wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog

Chopped brisket, slaw, and a hotlink on a bun. Yummy

I just ate lunch, but, that just made me hungry.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

There is a local place that lots of people love (black's bbq) that does not have meat in their BBQ....it is just slaw soacked in BBQ sauce....that is pure blasphemy.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #53
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Obama was in kc today.. apparently he went to oklahoma joes, and apparently they had to make everyone who waited in line leave..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just got back from downing a full rack of ribs and a half chicken order at Arthur Bryant's. Pure gluttony.......and I loved every minute of it.

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to sleep on my back tonight.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #55
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Obama was in kc today.. apparently he went to oklahoma joes, and apparently they had to make everyone who waited in line leave..

That's odd.. Whenever he goes out in DC he hangs out and talks to the other customers for at least a "hello, how are you?"

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #56
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Salt Lick family style plate (all you can eat):

The open pit, which is inside the restaurant:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
This this and this. Too bad it's all the way down Dekalb Avenue on the other side of the planet from me

Maddy's is ok at best. Loud, bad music, ok food. If you go to a Braves game, Harold's is the shit, but not sure what the hours are. My wife will pretty much only go to Fox Bros now, especially with Fat Tire on tap and those huge Mac and Cheese servings. Get yourself some to go before a Braves game (you can hop right on Moreland to 20 and sneak up behind the park).

There are 2 new places near me, one called Community BBQ (near Emory) and the other one is in the Highlands but I forget the name.

Lemme know how Community BBQ is if you go. It looks interesting. And we must live pretty close (I'm right outside the city limits of Decatur, close to the border with Avondale Estates) .
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
That's probably not far from the truth. I've seen people put apples in their dressing for Thanksgiving, which is just wrong to begin with and now apples in coleslaw, wow.

I'm going to kill you now . I always put granny smith apples in my stuffing for Thanksgiving, and it's freaking awesome.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #59
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's actually a minor trendy thing (or was at some point, I haven't noticed it much lately). A Google of the phrase "who the hell puts apples in slaw" produced a number of references to how wonderfully it goes with pork

Nothing wrong with some apple in the slaw. Especially with pork. Haven't you ever heard of apple sauce on pork chops, or apple cider based BBQ sauces and finishing sauces...?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #60
clemsonfan
High School JV

The best BBQ I've ever had was up here in Dayton, OH at a place called City BBQ. I always get the brisket, which is phenomenal. They have about 5-6 different sauces on the table that you can use. They have the eastern Carolina vinegar sauce, the Carolina mustard sauce, a sweet BBQ sauce, and a more firey sauce. They have another one but I can't remember what it is. I highly recommend this place if you are in the Ohio area.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #61
DanGarion
Coordinator

The best is my own...

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #62
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Salt Lick family style plate (all you can eat):

What the hell, did someone sneeze or is that high school cafeteria gravy all over the brisket?

Last edited by Scarecrow : 07-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
What the hell, did someone sneeze or is that high school cafeteria gravy all over the brisket?

A vinegar based BBQ sauce
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #64
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Lemme know how Community BBQ is if you go. It looks interesting. And we must live pretty close (I'm right outside the city limits of Decatur, close to the border with Avondale Estates) .

I'm the opposite direction, near Toco Hills (not too far from the benevolent dictator's old stomping grounds of Tucker). I like the Indian place next to Community, but I may give it a try in the next week or two.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #65
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A vinegar based BBQ sauce

No, THAT's vinegar based BBQ sauce!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm the opposite direction, near Toco Hills (not too far from the benevolent dictator's old stomping grounds of Tucker). I like the Indian place next to Community, but I may give it a try in the next week or two.

Bhojanic... and yeah, its good.

I used to live near Toco Hills when I went to Emory Law. Mmmm, Shorty's Pizza...
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

No, THAT's vinegar based BBQ sauce!!!

You're making my mouth water. I know exactly where that came from. And yes, real vinegar-based sauce doesn't look like Gerber peas that my seven month old child eats.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #68
lungs
Pro Rookie

Bump.... Going to KC tomorrow for three days for a conference. The conference is at the Hilton by the airport and that's where I am staying... Any good BBQ near there?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Bump.... Going to KC tomorrow for three days for a conference. The conference is at the Hilton by the airport and that's where I am staying... Any good BBQ near there?

If you can't travel too far, Smokehouse BBQ has a location at Zona Rosa, which is a couple miles from the airport. Really good pork meats and some very good baked beans. If you want the good stuff and don't mind company, I'd be happy to take you downtown for some Gates or Arthur Bryants. I'm off on Thursday night and live about 10 minutes from the airport.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #70
lungs
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to need to see what the agenda is for the conference. I know they feed us right there during the day but I'm not sure what the deal is going to be at night.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm sure we could get a couple of the other FOFC locals to tag along. You never have to bend the arm of a KC resident to get them to go out for BBQ.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #72
rjolley
College Starter

mmmmmm Gates. Been about 7 years since I've had some.

Nothing to add, really. Just saw that Gates and got really hungry for ribs.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #73
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm sure we could get a couple of the other FOFC locals to tag along. You never have to bend the arm of a KC resident to get them to go out for BBQ.

You'll just have a hard time getting us all to meet at the same place

I do agree that the best spot in the Airport area is probably Smokehouse.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #74
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'll also endorse Smokehouse as best near the airport BBQ, even if that location is not as good as the original. I'd suggest starting with corn nugget appetizer and getting a mixed platter, something like pork and burnt ends. The Crispy is the best sandwich, and make sure you get beans.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #75
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'll also endorse Smokehouse as best near the airport BBQ, even if that location is not as good as the original. I'd suggest starting with corn nugget appetizer and getting a mixed platter, something like pork and burnt ends. The Crispy is the best sandwich, and make sure you get beans.

LOL. KC people are so friendly they'll order for you before you get to town to ensure you get the best food.

With that said, I endorse this selection.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #76
lungs
Pro Rookie

Schedule was hectic but I did manage to hit up Smokehouse and it was excellent. I am not much of a baked beans guy but those were fantastic. Pork spare ribs was my main course and I ate so much I only had room for one more beer.

I also quite enjoyed Boulevard Wheat beer. Tried a few but liked the Wheat the best.

If I make it back To KC I will bump this thread again and maybe give a little more notice so we can set something up. Thanks for the Smokehouse suggestion though. The guy I am with also loved it.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #77
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yeah, Boulevard Wheat is a great beer. Really become a staple in the community.

Glad you liked the pork and beans. Good stuff.

Definitely bump the thread next time. I talked with a few of the FOFC guys in the area and they're interested in a meet-up.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #78
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm always interested in a meet-up.. bbq is always a good option...

I've never had anything but BAD service experiences at smokehouse.. the food has been ok to good.. however the service has been AWFUL.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #79
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I'm always interested in a meet-up.. bbq is always a good option...

I've never had anything but BAD service experiences at smokehouse.. the food has been ok to good.. however the service has been AWFUL.

Hmm, mine was fine. Waiter was friendly, service was prompt, some dude (probably the manager) checked up to make sure everything was all right, and the waiter arranged me a cab ride out of there.

It wasn't super busy so that probably helped.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

We hit Arthur Bryant's last night before the storm rolled in. Sausage, burnt ends, ham, rack of ribs, and beef brisket along with three plates of fries.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #81
Desnudo
Coordinator

Best BBQ I've had in a while is at Whole Hog in Little Rock. Six different sauces, all of them excellent. It may be hearsay in Texas, I definitely prefer pulled pork and ribs to brisket.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
We hit Arthur Bryant's last night before the storm rolled in. Sausage, burnt ends, ham, rack of ribs, and beef brisket along with three plates of fries.

Damn you for this!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Damn you for this!!

No, damn you for not bothering to join me.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #84
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Interesting that this thread was bumped and I went back to check my earlier comments. I've done a complete 180 on Fat Matt's. I must've just had a bad experience before, but now they are my favorite BBQ place by far.

There was another Atlanta location I used to frequent called KC Pit BBQ and they were very good when they were a hole in the wall restaurant. Then they moved to a bigger location and completely changed the atmosphere with fancy tablecloths, waiters with ties (at a BBQ restaurant!?), and increased prices. The owners were caught money laundering and drug trafficking and the location is now closed.

Also, Maddy's sadly closed down. A Fox Bros was supposed to move into that location, but that deal fell through for some reason.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #85
JediKooter
Coordinator

Why isn't that picture in the Cool Pictures thread?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #86
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Interesting that this thread was bumped and I went back to check my earlier comments. I've done a complete 180 on Fat Matt's. I must've just had a bad experience before, but now they are my favorite BBQ place by far.

There was another Atlanta location I used to frequent called KC Pit BBQ and they were very good when they were a hole in the wall restaurant. Then they moved to a bigger location and completely changed the atmosphere with fancy tablecloths, waiters with ties (at a BBQ restaurant!?), and increased prices. The owners were caught money laundering and drug trafficking and the location is now closed.

Also, Maddy's sadly closed down. A Fox Bros was supposed to move into that location, but that deal fell through for some reason.

Fat Matt's is here in the Atlanta area? I'll have to try it out. I was pissed when Fox Bros decided not to take over Maddy's location. The current location is a bit out of the way for me, and the Maddy's spot would've worked out well. Plus, they were going to put beef ribs on the menu as a regular item and I was looking forward to that. And it'd be great to have a place with fried ribs closer.

Out here in Marietta where I work, there's Heirloom Market BBQ. It's a small place but very good food. If you're out here sometime, it's worth a stop.

Last edited by rjolley : 02-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #87
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Who needs Fox Bros anyways when you have Community Q (aka, by far the best BBQ joint in the Atlanta Metro Area)?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #88
Easy Mac

Unfortunately, they closed down the best one around me in Greenville, Smokin' Stokes. Never found out why, but I was quite sad.

Lil Pigs proper in Mauldin is probably the best of the Greenville area shops, but they tend to put far too much sauce. When its sauced good, you get a lot of the smoky flavor, but otherwise it just overpowers it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #89
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Who needs Fox Bros anyways when you have Community Q (aka, by far the best BBQ joint in the Atlanta Metro Area)?

I'll put it on the list of places to try. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #90
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Tuffy Stone (of Pitmasters fame) is opening a place 5 minutes from my home.

He has a place 25 minutes away and we eat there once or twice a month, so I'm expecting weekly visits soon.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm so hungry looking at that picture. I love BBQ..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

WTF moment here. I'm not sure Jack Stack is even on the top 3 in KC for most residents, yet somehow they were listed as top three in the nation in this list.

Top 10 barbecue restaurants in the US | Fox News
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #93
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

List is bullshit because there is no way Montgomery Inn in cinci is a top 10 BBQ place in the country.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #94
Warhammer
Pro Starter

They must have stuck to major metros because most tof the best BBQ places I have been to are hole in the wall places in smaller towns.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #95
PilotMan
Head Coach

agreed, Montgomery Inn is way overrated. I didn't know ketchup qualified as a BBQ sauce.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #96
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Unfortunately, they closed down the best one around me in Greenville, Smokin' Stokes. Never found out why, but I was quite sad.

Lil Pigs proper in Mauldin is probably the best of the Greenville area shops, but they tend to put far too much sauce. When its sauced good, you get a lot of the smoky flavor, but otherwise it just overpowers it.

There are two pretty god places I know not far away.
1 is bull hawgs in Pauline . Actually I haven't eaten there since they built the nice new building and moved out f the convenience store side shop, but ve heard the food hasnt changed.

The second is pig out at the corner of John Dodd rd and new cut rd in Spartanburg. This place doesn't look like anything but has amazing que. they even have a daily capacity limit at lunch where after which they will shut down the cash register...because lunch hour can run 3 hours during the week. I haven't been there much lately as ive been trying to trim some weight...and they are good for a +5lb day for me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
They must have stuck to major metros because most tof the best BBQ places I have been to are hole in the wall places in smaller towns.

No doubt.. I don't see Franklin bbq anywhere on that list. I haven't personally been to Franklin.. but I've read many top 10's on bbq and they are almost always on there.

I was thinking about a vacation in Austin just so we can eat there.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WTF moment here. I'm not sure Jack Stack is even on the top 3 in KC for most residents, yet somehow they were listed as top three in the nation in this list.

Top 10 barbecue restaurants in the US | Fox News

I find that hard to believe (not top 3?) but whatever. Jack Stack was #1 in my book but it's also a bit different as it's more upscale than your usual BBQ joint (I only went to the one near Union Station so maybe other ones are different). But this is one of those religious wars that won't find a clear winner.

Then again, any list that starts with a place in NYC as #1 is just wrong.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #99
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

That we can all agree on.

... and 2 of the top 10 from California?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #100
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I find that hard to believe (not top 3?) but whatever. Jack Stack was #1 in my book but it's also a bit different as it's more upscale than your usual BBQ joint (I only went to the one near Union Station so maybe other ones are different). But this is one of those religious wars that won't find a clear winner.

SI

Most would put Oklahoma Joe's (even if it it owned by beakers), Arthur Bryant's, Gates, or Smoke Stack in front of Jack Stack. There's no way it's better than all four of those places.