Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #1951
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kung Fu Panda - 8/10: Very, very funny animated movie. Great animation as well. The story was, FWIW, fairly predictable, but well done. People were rolling in the aisles during the entire running time. Not as good as The Incredibles or Ratatouille, but probably one of the best animated comedies in a while.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #1952
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Kung Fu Panda - 9/10

Loved it. Funny, witty, and well worth the admission..
Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #1953
Lorena
Unregistered

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - 3/10

The scene where Julianne Moore gave T-Rex her baby back was a steaming pile of crap... talk about everything going wrong and the movie as a whole was very predictable.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 4/10

wtf? I wish I had seen the previous 3 movies, but as far as story goes, it didn't matter. I don't know if the previous movies were over the top like this one, but Jesus, how's the guy still alive?

Last edited by Lorena : 06-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #1954
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think Cloverfield was underrated. I mean, I don't know how it did at the box office or anything, but among my fellow disenfranchised, cynical youths, it got shat on. I rented it and liked it.

Honestly.. I just saw it on pay per view, came here to look up what people thought and watched it last night. I would agree with you... although it's probably because there are no well known actors/actresses in the movie.

The whole movie was quite action packed and very edge of your seat engrossing.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #1955
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 4/10

wtf? I wish I had seen the previous 3 movies, but as far as story goes, it didn't matter. I don't know if the previous movies were over the top like this one, but Jesus, how's the guy still alive?

It's called Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. It would be hard to make an Indiana Jones movie with him dying. The whole point of the series is to have fun, be over the top, have crazy adventures. Judging on realism makes these movies a 1.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #1956
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Kung Fu Panda - 8/10: Very, very funny animated movie. Great animation as well. The story was, FWIW, fairly predictable, but well done. People were rolling in the aisles during the entire running time. Not as good as The Incredibles or Ratatouille, but probably one of the best animated comedies in a while.

I would agree with this. I think its the funniest of the animated movies I've seen, but the predictability of the story drags it down a notch below the two you mentioned. Still an excellent movie and well worth seeing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #1957
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Cloverfield 7/10.

I went into it with the though that I wouldn't like it, and while it had its shortfalls I must say, for an hour and a half I was very entertained, and on the edge of my seat.

Not a movie I'd rush out to see again, but well worth the $4 to watch on pay per view
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #1958
Buccaneer
Head Coach

National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - 3/10

I liked the first one, I've watched it several times now. This movie, however, was stupid. It's like they took the few inplausible parts of the first movie and remade a whole movie out of it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #1959
MikeVic
Head Coach

Kung Fu Panda - 9/10
I agree with ISiddiqui. A very funny movie that had me LOLing many times throughout. I didn't mind the story, and thought the animated action was well done. A nice message for the movie, good characters, good animation, and very entertaining. If you have kids, definitely see this one. If not, go see it anyway.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #1960
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Kung Fu Panda - 9/10
I agree with ISiddiqui. A very funny movie that had me LOLing many times throughout. I didn't mind the story, and thought the animated action was well done. A nice message for the movie, good characters, good animation, and very entertaining. If you have kids, definitely see this one. If not, go see it anyway.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #1961
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think Cloverfield was underrated. I mean, I don't know how it did at the box office or anything, but among my fellow disenfranchised, cynical youths, it got shat on. I rented it and liked it.

It actually did really well at the box office, far beyond expectations and was generally well received by critics.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #1962
MikeVic
Head Coach

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - 6.5/10
JB wants to become a rocker, and realizes the way to do this is to find The Pick of Destiny. There were some funny parts, but I was expecting more craziness involving rock from the trailers I saw awhile ago. There was one dream sequence with crazy rock stuff, but other than that the movie felt like a lesser Harold and Kumar to me. It look awhile to even get interesting (about half an hour).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #1963
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Kung Fu Panda - 9/10

I'd give it a 9/10 also. Definitely enjoyed it. Very good movie.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #1964
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - 3/10

I liked the first one, I've watched it several times now. This movie, however, was stupid. It's like they took the few inplausible parts of the first movie and remade a whole movie out of it.

I enjoyed it but I went in with low expectations.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #1965
sabotai
General Manager

El Orfanato (The Orphanage) - 9/10

A fantastic horror movie. The writer and director of Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro, was the producer of the movie, and his influence was clear as day. I wish american horror movie makers would take a lesson or two from del Toro, or some of the Japanese horror movie makers. Atmosphere trumps shock value, and this movie was creepy as hell.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #1966
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
El Orfanato (The Orphanage) - 9/10

A fantastic horror movie. The writer and director of Pan's Labyrinth, Guillermo del Toro, was the producer of the movie, and his influence was clear as day. I wish american horror movie makers would take a lesson or two from del Toro, or some of the Japanese horror movie makers. Atmosphere trumps shock value, and this movie was creepy as hell.

Yeah, he's awesome, I have put this as # 2 on my queue, thanks sab.

Delicatessen - 6.5/10

A butcher has to kill people and sell their meat to make ends meet. I enjoyed the color scheme used and the lighting was great.

Very strange movie but it was watchable.

The Usual Suspects - 8/10

Great movie, I'm glad I finally got a chance to watch it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #1967
korme
Go Reds

Eastern Promises (2007) - Cronenberg & Mortensen team up again after their collaboration in 2005's A History of Violence... Cronenberg loves to show gruesome images, it's pretty crazy how similar some of the fight scenes are, in that "ohmygodwhydidn'ticlosemyeyes" kind of way. Still, this was a very well put together movie and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't need to see Viggo's fruitbasket, however. 8/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #1968
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Scoop - 7/10: So sue me, I love Woody Allen. I found the entire movie amusing (not laugh out loud funny, but silly). The story about a ghost of a reporter (played by Ian McShane), helping along Scarlett Johansson's college reporter, who pulls Woody Allen's magician into the rice just tickled me. Sorry, Woody Allen is just my thing. We all have one.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #1969
path12
Coordinator

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly -- 8.5/10 I didn't really know what to expect going in, and frankly I don't want you to either. I'm glad I saw this though. Subtitled if that bugs you.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #1970
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Yeah, he's awesome, I have put this as # 2 on my queue, thanks sab.

I love that Guillermo del Toro is attached to The Hobbit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #1971
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly -- 8.5/10 I didn't really know what to expect going in, and frankly I don't want you to either. I'm glad I saw this though. Subtitled if that bugs you.

Want to see this, good knowing you enjoyed it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #1972
mattlanta
Mascot

He Got Game - 7/10
Good movie overall. It's kinda weird naming one of your main characters 'Jesus Shuttlesworth' though...

Last edited by mattlanta : 06-11-2008 at 01:43 AM.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #1973
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Want to see this, good knowing you enjoyed it.

I would love to know your impression after you see it. I'm still thinking about it three days later.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #1974
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Incredible Hulk - 8/10

I am fairly impressed by Marvel Studios right now. They have hit two movies out of the ballpark with Ironman and the retcon of Hulk. I guess it will take a very big miss of a movie for me not to watch anything they put out in the near future.

Norton was excellent as Bruce Banner. The CG was pretty good, and the fight scenes (specially the final fight scene with Hulk vs. Abomination) was very well done and was paced really well.

They have now laid the groundwork for Captain America and The Avengers Film by releasing two good movies in Ironman and The Incredible Hulk. If you're interested in watching The Avengers Film two/three years from now, this is definitely a must-see.

Spoiler

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 06-14-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #1975
Buccaneer
Head Coach

As one that has next to zero interest in superhero movies (the last one I saw was probably Superman 3), I think I would be interested in seeing Iron Man.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #1976
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Onion Movie- 8/10

I love The Onion, but I was not expecting whole lot from this movie, seeing as how it was filmed when Rodney Dangerfield was still alive, but was just released straight-to-DVD last week. The movie was pretty funny. A few sequences that didn't work. I could see how it tested poorly, but it has it's niche, and that niche isn't people who like superhero movies.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #1977
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As one that has next to zero interest in superhero movies (the last one I saw was probably Superman 3), I think I would be interested in seeing Iron Man.

you haven't seen iron man?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #1978
rowech
Pro Starter

Clerks II (7/10) -- I got some good laugs out of this and I felt there was actually a message/method to Smith's madness. I still would like to see someone take a chance on him to make a "real" movie. A high drama or something to that effect, just to see what he can really do.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #1979
moriarty
College Starter

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 7.0

Take a naked Marisa Tomei, the acting of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and even a little Ethan Hawke for the ladies, then throw in a jewelry heist and you have a great premise. Tomei spends the first half of the movie topless and the rest looking mighty sultry (where has she been anyways?). Although it's a stretch to believe she was Hoffman's wife.

Unfortunately I went in expecting a thriller and this one plays out more like a Greek tragedy. Dragged heavily in the middle, and the time phasing, while keeping it interesting, became annoying after a while. Still the acting was great ... and did I mention Marisa?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #1980
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
you haven't seen iron man?

Hah, this made me chuckle

Oh and Bucc, you don't wanna miss what comes up after the credits.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #1981
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Incredible Hulk (9/10)-- Better than Iron Man, IMO, and I really enjoyed Iron Man.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #1982
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post

Take a naked Marisa Tomei

SOLD!

*Added to Netflix queue*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #1983
Calis
College Starter

I saw the Incredible Hulk last night. I'm not sure where I stand on it exactly. It was not a bad movie, but definitely not great either. I'd probably rate it a 7.5 or so.

I definitely think it was a step below Iron Man, but above most Marvel offerings. I actually found the action sequences to be the worst part. I think it's very hard to do Hulk convincingly now, and I thought the action was pretty boring in this one.

A couple of amusing cameos though, and I enjoyed seeing Rickson Gracie in it.

The non-comic fans I saw it with loved Iron Man and were very meh on this one, so I think I might be even more generous with the score because I'm a Hulk fan.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #1984
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post

Take a naked Marisa Tomei, the acting of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and even a little Ethan Hawke for the ladies, then throw in a jewelry heist and you have a great premise. Tomei spends the first half of the movie topless and the rest looking mighty sultry (where has she been anyways?). Although it's a stretch to believe she was Hoffman's wife.

Unfortunately I went in expecting a thriller and this one plays out more like a Greek tragedy. Dragged heavily in the middle, and the time phasing, while keeping it interesting, became annoying after a while. Still the acting was great ... and did I mention Marisa?

Yeah, good call. Tomei was stunning (looks a lot younger than 43!), but the rest of the movie... yeah. I'd had people hype it up before I went to see it so I was expecting something a little more than a spiralling out of control Greek Tragedy, and a pretty average one at best.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #1985
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Bobby - 7/10

Pretty good flick taking place in the hotel on the day leading up to when RFK was shot. Kind of sucked to find out afterwards when looking stuff up about it that most the characters were fictional and just based on real people in some cases.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #1986
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The Incredible Hulk (9/10)-- Better than Iron Man, IMO, and I really enjoyed Iron Man.

Actually, I'm in the same boat. I think Hulk was paced better, and the final action scenes between Hulk and Abomination were much, much, much more fulfilling than the final battle between Stark and Stain.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #1987
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
SOLD!

*Added to Netflix queue*

If you're going for the naked Tomei, then book it. She gets fucked doggystyle in the very first scene, which isn't even the end of her nudity.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #1988
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Happening - 8/10

Got shat on by critics so thoroughly that it made me dub it "The Crappening" before I had even seen it. I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs. I liked the Village. I hated Lady In The Water. It has been a downward slope of quality in regards to M. Night in my mind, and coupled with the horrid reviews, I was not expecting much. Still, he's the only living director that has ever made more than one movie that made me scared. Thus, I gave it a chance, as I do with all of his films.

It's good. I don't know exactly what constitutes gore. I guess it's made out to be blood and guts. This movie only has a few moments of that. It does have, on the other hand, many disturbing images that contain no bloodshed. I watch horror movies day and night (sadly), and this had moments of suspense and horror that don't come often for me. Wahlberg and Deschanel and average actors at best. I don't feel as though the performances were as terrible as some made them out to seem. Wahlberg's delivery at the beginning seems a bit...forced, but by the end of the movie it seems in character. Deschanel's eyes are huge in her first scene, and they take a little getting used to, but she holds her own. They don't do great acting jobs, or even good acting jobs. They did not ruin the movie for me.

As far as the science and realism of the film go.....I don't give a fuck about it. I came to watch a movie, not attend biology class.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #1989
boberot
High School Varsity

With all due respect:

The Happening -- 1.5/10

I enjoy M Night movies; like Karl, 6th Sense / Unbreakable / Signs top the list.

This thing was a travesty. It was terribly written. The script and dialogue were so abyssmal, that the actors had no chance. There was a grand total of two moments of signature M Night suspense.

There is so much unintentional comedy in this, that it almost seems a parody of itself. The "wtf" moments are too many to count, and I couldn't have cared less if everybody in the movie were killed off. And so many of the deaths were just preposterous.

Never has 90 minutes seemed so agonizingly long.

The only reason I give it a "1.5" is because of the many laughs I got at moments that were not supposed to be funny and because it was fascinating to see how breathtakingly bad it was.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #1990
Lorena
Unregistered

Based on the trailer I just watched and the horrid 20% at rottentomatoes, I'm a pass on this.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-16-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #1991
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I started watching "There Will Be Blood" last night, I'm right at 2 hours into it and I'm wondering how much longer it's going to go on...I can see why DDL got the Oscar, but man - if it wasn't for all the buzz around this movie, I would have given up and turned it off about an hour into it. I figure at this point, I'll finish it out though...

Also have "No Country for Old Men", looking forward to that one as I've heard such great things about it...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #1992
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I started watching "There Will Be Blood" last night, I'm right at 2 hours into it and I'm wondering how much longer it's going to go on...I can see why DDL got the Oscar, but man - if it wasn't for all the buzz around this movie, I would have given up and turned it off about an hour into it. I figure at this point, I'll finish it out though...

Also have "No Country for Old Men", looking forward to that one as I've heard such great things about it...

You really have to look past the basic level of the film. There's so much more than meets the eye.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #1993
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i have found women dont like there will be blood. it just seems to be a guys movie.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #1994
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
You really have to look past the basic level of the film. There's so much more than meets the eye.

I see all the underlying things pulling at DDL, his kid, the fake brother, he shows compassion one minute then is totally cut-throat the next, his complete greed...it just hasn't grabbed me like I expected it to. I admit DDL is brilliant in it, but the rest of it is just ok.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #1995
Subby
lolzcat

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1/10

Hahahaha. No. I wasted free babysitting from our neighbor for this? F U Lucas. First Jar Jar Binks and now this? DIEDIEDIEDIE!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #1996
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1/10

Hahahaha. No. I wasted free babysitting from our neighbor for this? F U Lucas. First Jar Jar Binks and now this? DIEDIEDIEDIE!

Aww c'mon, you didn't like the cute little CGI groundhogs popping up from the ground?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #1997
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i have found women dont like there will be blood. it just seems to be a guys movie.

I can see that. I mean the hyper competitiveness, leading to violence, seems to be something that is more pushed for males in the workforce (to make a vast social gender stereotype). The whole forget everyone else, stomp on your enemies thing seems to be something that males can relate to more than women, as, IMO, women in our society aren't shoved in a similar direction.

FWIW, I thought it was one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen in my life. I think it got robbed of the Oscar, and I really liked "No Country".
Old 06-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #1998
cuervo72
Head Coach

Finally saw Iron Man yesterday, loved it.

And no, I didn't know to stay for the credits (was with my son...he might not have gotten much out of that anyway).
Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #1999
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I see all the underlying things pulling at DDL, his kid, the fake brother, he shows compassion one minute then is totally cut-throat the next, his complete greed...it just hasn't grabbed me like I expected it to. I admit DDL is brilliant in it, but the rest of it is just ok.

Also look at it from a Biblical context and look at it from the Bible stories associated with the character's names.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #2000
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Oliegirl i kinda found the same thing with "There Will Be Blood". DDL was great but as an overall movie it was just okay. Not a bad movie but not really what i was expecting after all of the great reviews. Then again i kinda thought the same thing about No Country for Old Men too.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote