Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Comey
College Starter

What went right for you in 2011?

It seems as though 2011 was a rough year for nearly everyone I know. The vast majority of those I have asked have viewed the past year as a hellish ride, one they are ready to forget. I include myself in this.

Last night, I reflected on what went right this year, and was surprised at the number of things there were.

I made it through another year of school, including student teaching.
I took on the challenge of having to start over, all over again, and haven't failed it miserably, so far.
I was part of a team that managed to battle through a seemingly endless run of issues to get to within one game of a league championship. I managed to throw the best game in 14 years, a 1-0 four-hitter in Game 2 of the LCS, to save our season.
I met Howie Day.
I gave Tim Reynolds a demo tape.
I saw a handful of great concerts, captured some great memories, and got to see a very rare version of my favorite song (first-time performed acoustic in 12 years).
I made great friends.
I reconnected with old ones.
I rediscovered myself.
I lost about eighty pounds, and gained self-esteem.
I found love again. This time, I hope to hold onto it.
Above all, I was reminded that no bond is stronger than family.

----

So, I ask you...when you reflect on the past year, what will bring a smile to your face?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

had some pretty good sex in '11
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

I had a very good year.
1.) Got a new job with the company that I had targeted - and that job is as good as I had made it out to be in my mind
2.) Lost over 20 pounds, getting myself back down to college weight, and look/feel healthier
3.) Had a terrific year with my wife and daughter, who is now 4 and growing up to be an amazingly cool kid

I've been working on a list of things that I want to accomplish for 2012, but on the whole they are smaller goals than the stuff I listed above.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I had a very good year.
1.) Got a new job with the company that I had targeted - and that job is as good as I had made it out to be in my mind
2.) Lost over 20 pounds, getting myself back down to college weight, and look/feel healthier
3.) Had a terrific year with my wife and daughter, who is now 4 and growing up to be an amazingly cool kid

I've been working on a list of things that I want to accomplish for 2012, but on the whole they are smaller goals than the stuff I listed above.

Fantastic! I'm glad someone out there was able to make some big strides (the job, shedding some weight) this year. And as someone who is getting his first taste of a family life (my gf has a son who is 4), I have to say...I like it quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Yeah, this is how I hope I'm introducing myself to 2012. ; )

Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My daughter arrived.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Good year for myself, the bad part was for my wife with health issues (that at the ends makes it a below average year overall), but that is for another thread.

The positives were:

1) I moved from working from home where i had been for the last 10 years to working in a new office, setting myself an organized schedule, being able to expend more time with my family and to take more care of myself, enjoying life more and not being a workaholic as now i have realized i have been for the past years. To those that like me think/thought that working from home is awesome, it's not.

2) I lost 20 pounds, thanks to that new working schedule I was able to get back into the gym and playing organized sports again (soccer) at my 36 years old. My body is way way more in shape and better looking than for the past 10 years or so, my six pack is starting to get out from under the fat where it has been for the last 10 years. I would post before/after pics if i wouldn't feel ridicule about it It has raised my self confidence a ton and probably has helped my business part too.

3) The business side was excellent, I made tons of new contacts, got a couple of very good job offer, then even when i had no interest on accepting, as would have mean to move my whole family to another city and/or country (something that my wife would have refused to do), made me so proud and self confident. I made also some good money that have reinvested to started two new companies with different partners so i have shares on 3 now (all internet business based). One of those should boom in 2012 as it's already doing it by the end of 2011. After the slowdown i had in 2010, and the base i have set in 2011, 2012 looks so bright on the business side. Hope i could "work" on my wife's health as i can in my business.

Last edited by Icy : 12-31-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Well first and foremost, I survived!
Actually made it through an etire year wthout burying a friend or relative for the first time in ~10 years.
Saw my career vision finalize as I sold off the company I built from nothing.
Saw my kids continue to grow and amaze me.
Moved into a new home.
Ive lost about 20lbs but I have another 70 to go....hopefully 2012 will get that one right.
Dropped one in the bucket list by attending every Clemson football game in a season.
Met many new friends.

All in all, if 2012 is a repeate of 2011 I will be a happy man.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Drake
assmaster

Had a co-worker retire, and since we're under a Reduction in Force, the five developers in my office had to split his job duties.

My boss went to HR and got each of us a flat 15% pay raise to cover the new responsibilities...which would be awesome under any circumstances.

But the best part? It took me two weeks to write scripts that automated every task I inherited. So I ended up with a 15% raise without any real additional workload (minus the rare exception handling when systems fail).
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

I had a few rough bumps in 2011, but they all turned into positives in my mind.

Had the first and hopefully last rough spot in my nearly 10 yr relationship with my Wife and made it through with as strong a bond as we have ever had and learned a valuable lesson about taking something good for granted, which will bode me well in the future.

Ruptured Achilles from March is now healed to the point I can resume Jiu Jitsu training next month (could have started this month, but spent the month working on Cardio, which will be needed) I am not 100% and likely won't be again, but I can still lead the lifestyle I want to lead.

Spent 3 days in the Hospital (first time since I was 6 I have been in a Hospital) for Diverticulitis, but again good was brought about by this as I changed my diet for the better and will continue this trend in 2012. Since a cancer scare was also involved it made me cognizant of the need to be diligent in making sure I am getting the recommended health screenings done for someone my age.

Got to hold my grandson for the first time and it is a joy that is second to none, right up there with holding your own children for the first time. Being a grandfather is amazing.

Took a year off from coaching to devote more time to family and do some extra travelling and it was a wonderful experience. It allowed me to reconnect with old friends and recharge my inner self as well as my relationship.

Blessed to have a job in a difficult economy that still gives out bonuses and raises and is relatively safe from having layoffs. So many are not as fortunate and it puts the bad days you have at work in perspective....because at least you can have a bad day at work.

Spent the year with a loving, healthy family which is priceless, as they are irreplaceable.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
RedKingGold
College Starter

New job I really like, got engaged and lots of sex. Can't complain.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I could split between this and the negative thread but I will post here, because the positives outweigh the negatives

1) I lost my job of 4 years in July, this may seem like a bad thing but it was positive. I was on the road every other week all over the world (Mainly US and Canada) and never able to be with my kids.

2) #1 converts to number 2 as I was only unemployed for 2 weeks and picked up a new job locally. I did take a massive paycut initially but it allows me to be with my kids consistently and focus on #3

3) My girlfriend. Part of me was out of wanting to go whole hog back into a relationship due to my split and soon to be divorce from my ex. However, I found a woman who loves me for who I am not what I am. She truly loves my kids and is truly amazing. She isn't pushing for marriage, just with more time with me.

4) A couple of health scares towards the end of the year have me looking at what I need to do and should do to change my lifestyle back to healthy and getting myself back into playing shape. At 37 years old I am in the worst shape of my life and the doctor, my kids and girlfriend have expressed their feelings about me changing to a healthier lifestyle, which I am.

5) I was able to get to the last state on my list (Maine) and have accomplished a major bucket list item and that was getting to all 50 states and that isn't just driving through or layover for flights, but honestly spending at least a day in each state.

6) Spent another week in the summer up in Houghton MI and realized I love it there as a summer getaway.

All in all 2011 started out rough, ended up great. One major catastrophe (The loss of my sister) happened in my life and forced me to realize a lot and not grow up, but change my thoughts on life.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

2011 was one of the best years in my life. In what many people might have considered to be a stupid move, I finally summoned the courage to leave my extremely stable, high-paying job, and (under threat of legal action, with no certain leads, and as the sole breadwinner in the family) start my own company. This has long been a dream of mine, but something I was always afraid to go through with. But so far it has worked out wonderfully for the following reasons:

1. I've shifted from working ~50 hrs/week (which I had been doing consistently for the past 13 years), to working ~40 hours/week. I used to get home at 8pm every night. Since my kids are in bed before then, I'd only see my kids on the weekends. Now I eat dinner with the wife and kids every day!

2. I'm doing exactly the kind of work I love doing, which wasn't always the case in my last job. I wake up in the morning and can't wait to get started on work. I'm learning new things and facing new challenges every day both from business and technical perspectives, which I love.

3. I went into this fully expecting an income reduction of 50% or more. But I'm actually making more than ever. (This aspect pales in comparison to the other benefits, but it always helps.)

4. I have the pride in knowing that took a chance on my dream and it is actually paying off, better than I ever thought it would. I'm usually a very cautious, safe (you could even say fearful) individual who never takes risks like this, so even if it all failed miserably (and there's still a chance it could), I'd still be proud in myself for trying.

So in the spirit of Jim Gindin, in a way this year I celebrated my own personal Freedom Day.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

I posted in the "bitch about 2011" thread and damn if it doesn't feel like most everything is going wrong... but there's good to be had too:

After ignoring health problems for a number of years I've been seeing my doctor regularly for the last couple years. I'm diabetic (overweight and it runs in the family, least surprising news ever), but for the entirety of 2011 kept my blood sugar completely under control. Low testosterone is also common with male diabetics and it took 8+ months to get that fixed, cost issues with insurance and the affordable options simply not working, but that's back to normal as well.

With that stuff under control I've been very slowly shedding a few pounds, 2-3 a month for the last 5 months or so.

This is really just a start, but its a good start with slow and steady improvements instead of something drastic and unsustainable, so I'm feeling good about it and about the prospects for things to continue.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I took charge of my very own dojo and while this is a lot of work, how good it has turned out is giving me hope that some day not too far, I might be able to provide for my family and have my wife work there too.

FM
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

In 2012 he's hoping that someone else is there during it...

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #16
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Hmm,

1. Accepted my first professional permanent job. Start in June 2012 after I finish grad school.
2. Completed two marathons (Boston and Columbus, OH).
3. Passed Actuarial Exam FM.
4. Learned how to program in Excel VBA.
5. Started lifting on a regular basis for the first time in my life.
6. Grew as a person IMO.

Last edited by Racer : 12-31-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Lots of money, sex and little responsibility. The final year of my 20's.

Pretty sure it's all downhill from here. My only goal is to keep the responsibilities at a minimum.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-01-2012 at 12:15 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
lungs
Pro Rookie

The fact that I'm sitting here posting at 12:42 AM on New Year's Day should tell you enough. I can probably count on one hand how many times I got smoking drunk in 2011 where in the past it was fairly common. Best part is that I didn't have to completely quit drinking, heck I had a few beers tonight and a glass of champagne for midnight but New Year's used in the recent past used to result in a week long hangover. I also completely abstained from other more destructive vices in 2011 which is an accomplishment in itself.

I'll turn 30 in 2012. A lot of people dread 30, but I don't. I took full advantage of my 20s. We'll see what the 30's bring, but I'm feeling optimistic for the future.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'll turn 30 in 2012. A lot of people dread 30, but I don't. I took full advantage of my 20s. We'll see what the 30's bring, but I'm feeling optimistic for the future.

My thirties have been good to me so far, although there's certainly room for improvement. Better than my twenties were, and that's comparing not quite one full year to a decade.

Whether that says more for my thirties or less for my twenties, I leave to the reader as an exercise.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

2010 was the bad year for me.

2011 was actually pretty good. Looking forward to 2012.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Successfully completed the year long internship portion of the OSU school psychology program and received my Ed.S.

Received my first professional position as a school psychologist in Columbus

Took my first cruise, to the Bahamas

Hopefully 2012 brings greater things on a social and personal level...
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

30 was my most dreaded birthday, but the 30's brought a lot of changes professionally, personally and spirtually. The 40's have been some of the most reqrding years of my life and have gone quite fast. I used to dread the thought of turning 50 (just over a year away) but now I am looking forward to what that decade will bring as well
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't die.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
hawk4669
High School JV

Two biggest things for 2011:

1. Got promoted at work with a substantial raise and lifetime medical benefits

2. Finished the add-on of 900 square feet to my house.

There were lots of other things...but those two stand out. 2011 was a good year for my family and I.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Silver Owl
High School JV

1) My first grandchild was born. (That alone makes it a great year !!)
2) Bought a new home.
Silver Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
Successfully completed the year long internship portion of the OSU school psychology program and received my Ed.S.

Received my first professional position as a school psychologist in Columbus

Took my first cruise, to the Bahamas

Hopefully 2012 brings greater things on a social and personal level...

What school are you at? My brother teaches music at Canal Winchester.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Comey
College Starter

Thank you all. This might be the most successful conversation I've started here.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What school are you at? My brother teaches music at Canal Winchester.

Several schools in Columbus City, unfortunately school psychs are stretched thin.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
Autumn
Head Coach

I started taking college courses, while running my business, homeschooling my oldest son and having my other son only in half-days at school. Scored a 4.0 so far and didn't maim or kill myself or anyone else in the household. That's been a success.

Ramping it up this coming year to two classes at a time, which could be a disaster given that we're about to get bit by the health insurance bug (joys of being self-employed). But so far, so good.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #30
digamma
Torchbearer

Moved into a new house and celebrated ten years of marriage. Spent a ton of time (though it is never enough) with my son. Not a bad year.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hmmm...not a particularly fantastic year, but, not a bad year.

1. Didn't get laid off this time.
2. Got a pay raise and a bonus. First time ever getting a bonus.
3. I finally got laid and had a spectacular BJ before christmas.
4. Lost some weight
5. Started on a animated project that I came up with and am excited to finish it up this year.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not that I'm far into it, at 32, but it seems a lot like my 20s, frankly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Double vegas bachelor party, two weddings in consecutive July weeks (not my own), getting a new dog. Otherwise, no big tragedies or setbacks. A solid step forward at work, healthwise, and as a person.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
3. I finally got laid and had a spectacular BJ before christmas.

Right on the sock puppet fleshlight combo worked!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #35
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Right on the sock puppet fleshlight combo worked!

Heck yea it did!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I turned 35, and people still let me get away with acting the way I do. That's about the most "right" thing that could possibly happen to me.

I also got to be the understudy for the Hooker #3 role in a local production of "Annie".
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Lots of money, sex and little responsibility. The final year of my 20's.

Pretty sure it's all downhill from here. My only goal is to keep the responsibilities at a minimum.

This. Maybe a little heavier on the +money and -responsibility. Ehhh - on the sex. But still..... My goal is to keep this going for just another year. Mayan apocolypse or not.