Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #51
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If you wait for the iphone 5, supposedly (rumors only for now) it will have LTE based technology available to it (that is if verizon gets an iphone 5 available for it which most seem to assume).

Once that is there, many countries overseas will have some form of LTE provider where that iphone theoretically should work ok overseas. LTE of course is the watered down 4g that many providers are going to be using.

So if that is your only concern about a verizon iphone, just wait for the next generation and you likely will be ok

I have heard some rumors that Verizon may not get the iPhone 5 for up to a year after AT&T - anyone seen anything more firm there? That would make me jump on the iPhone 4 now, rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I have heard some rumors that Verizon may not get the iPhone 5 for up to a year after AT&T - anyone seen anything more firm there? That would make me jump on the iPhone 4 now, rather than later.

I don't think anyone has the answer to that yet, even Apple or Verizon. I don't believe that anything made public makes any reference to it. I think the assumption is what you said though that AT&T is getting the new technology before Verizon, but who knows how much before.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't think anyone has the answer to that yet, even Apple or Verizon. I don't believe that anything made public makes any reference to it. I think the assumption is what you said though that AT&T is getting the new technology before Verizon, but who knows how much before.

Gotcha.

Seems like a safe bet to go ahead and get it now to set that 2 year clock ticking.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #54
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gotcha.

Seems like a safe bet to go ahead and get it now to set that 2 year clock ticking.

Verizon is one step ahead of you unfortunately. Prior to people actually being able to order the iphone, they are ending their "New every 2" program. They also will be ending their early upgrade program as well.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #55
Comey
College Starter

It's funny, because I'm eligible for an upgrade now. I think I want to hold out for the Bionic...or maybe the iPhone. This just makes for perfect timing.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #56
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Verizon is one step ahead of you unfortunately. Prior to people actually being able to order the iphone, they are ending their "New every 2" program. They also will be ending their early upgrade program as well.

What does this mean exactly. We have a family plan. Four of the five phones are eligible for the upgrade July 11th. The phones were purchased Nov 11th of 2009. The main line is eligible for upgrade now at discounted prices. It's new every two discount is in July.

Will that change if I don't upgrade any phone prior to July? Will their new plan just start on my new contract. Are my phone upgrades in July in jeopardy?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

UPDATE: We've received word from Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney that existing customers will still be able to use their New Every Two credit for the iPhone or any device in the portfolio, but as the programs ends after January 16th, they won't be able to sign up for the New Every Two program after that. They're replacing the New Every Two system with a new upgrade program to be announced later in the year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What does this mean exactly. We have a family plan. Four of the five phones are eligible for the upgrade July 11th. The phones were purchased Nov 11th of 2009. The main line is eligible for upgrade now at discounted prices. It's new every two discount is in July.

Will that change if I don't upgrade any phone prior to July? Will their new plan just start on my new contract. Are my phone upgrades in July in jeopardy?

Anything you qualify for an upgrade now will still be usable. What will happen is as soon as you sign a new contract or contract renewal, you will lose any future upgrades. So basically use it before you sign into any new contracts as you won't have it later.

Wade's post was saying to go ahead and get the iphone 4 now with verizon so you can get the clock going for the next upgrade in 2 years. Because of Verizon's timing, you won't be able to do this. The upgrade plan is going away prior to iphone orders being taken.

Last edited by Alan T : 01-13-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #59
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

All the elimination of the "New Every 2" seems to mean is that Verizon will be like everyone else now. They used to give an EXTRA incentive every 2 years on top of letting existing customers get the new customer rate every 2 years.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
UPDATE: We've received word from Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney that existing customers will still be able to use their New Every Two credit for the iPhone or any device in the portfolio, but as the programs ends after January 16th, they won't be able to sign up for the New Every Two program after that. They're replacing the New Every Two system with a new upgrade program to be announced later in the year.

This was the first that I've heard that they are going to announce a new upgrade program. I'm somewhat skeptical as that was not in any of the leaked documents or other news articles at all. My assumption (and perhaps I'm just being cynical here) is the horrible press Verizon has been receiving today on this has prompted them to come out with something to try to calm folks down.

If I had to guess, this future "upgrade program" will end up being something very unworthwhile way down the road after people have forgotten it.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #61
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
All the elimination of the "New Every 2" seems to mean is that Verizon will be like everyone else now. They used to give an EXTRA incentive every 2 years on top of letting existing customers get the new customer rate every 2 years.

Somewhat yes, but based on the leaked material, they aren't going to be allowing upgrades in months 13-20 of the 2-year contracts any longer. That diverges somewhat from what other carriers do.

What this means is after 2 years, if you want to upgrade to a new iphone lets say, you likely will have to pay the $200 price as opposed to the $99 price that people can currently get it at.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #62
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I'm actually surprised the number is this high. With AT&T's higher early termination fee coupled with the number of users who recently signed into new contracts when the iphone 4 came out, I assumed it would be cost prohibitive for most to switch early.

26% of AT&T iPhone owners going to Verizon

26% of AT&T iPhone owners going to Verizon | Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm actually surprised the number is this high. With AT&T's higher early termination fee coupled with the number of users who recently signed into new contracts when the iphone 4 came out, I assumed it would be cost prohibitive for most to switch early.

26% of AT&T iPhone owners going to Verizon

26% of AT&T iPhone owners going to Verizon | Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

A bunch of people I know switched from Iphone 3GS - ATT to Verizon - Droid the past 3-4 months because they were able to sell the phone for around $200, which easily covered their early termination fee. Will be very interested to see if the value of the AT&T Iphones on the open market holds up once the Verizon 4 is released or if that takes a huge nosedive. I'd imagine if not, that could be something that keeps a lot of people with AT&T who right now are thinking they will swich.

26% is unbelievable though. Is AT&T's wireless business in terminal trouble if that figure actually happens?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
26% is unbelievable though. Is AT&T's wireless business in terminal trouble if that figure actually happens?
I thought I read that they were eating a lot of costs up front just to get people on board long term. But if all these people do switch, that has to be a huge blow to the company.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #65
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

who cares about new every 2 anyways? i never actually bought my phone at verizon anyways since they are always cheaper at best buy (no mail in rebates in NY) or at an independent.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #66
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, the new every two isn't that big of a deal.

You can still "Upgrade" at 20 months on a 2-year plan, you just don't get the bonus credit that no other companies give anyways.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #67
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Somewhat yes, but based on the leaked material, they aren't going to be allowing upgrades in months 13-20 of the 2-year contracts any longer. That diverges somewhat from what other carriers do.

What this means is after 2 years, if you want to upgrade to a new iphone lets say, you likely will have to pay the $200 price as opposed to the $99 price that people can currently get it at.

As fas as I know AT&T is 24 months and that's it. They did a promotion that shortened it some for the iphone 4, but that's all. And you pay the same as a new customer if you're past the upgrade time of 24 months.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #68
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As fas as I know AT&T is 24 months and that's it. They did a promotion that shortened it some for the iphone 4, but that's all. And you pay the same as a new customer if you're past the upgrade time of 24 months.

AT&T lets you do an early upgrade prior to the 2 year commitment being done, but it is no where near as good of a deal as after the 2 years is up. I think it ends up being something like half off the phone cost is all. Definitely wasn't as good as Verizon's old early upgrade plan used to be.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #69
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
AT&T lets you do an early upgrade prior to the 2 year commitment being done, but it is no where near as good of a deal as after the 2 years is up. I think it ends up being something like half off the phone cost is all. Definitely wasn't as good as Verizon's old early upgrade plan used to be.

Well, again, the "new" setup for verizon is after 10 months on a 1-year plan and 20 months on a 2-year plan you can upgrade for the same cost as if you were a new customer.

Not as good as before, but still better than most other companies.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #70
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, again, the "new" setup for verizon is after 10 months on a 1-year plan and 20 months on a 2-year plan you can upgrade for the same cost as if you were a new customer.

Not as good as before, but still better than most other companies.

I think you talked this into a circle a little bit Wade The reason this topic came up was you were suggesting to someone else that they should go ahead and get the verizon iphone 4 instead of waiting to see what came out later to get the 2 year clock running. I was simply stating that Verizon is one step ahead and have ended the new every 2 plan. So in effect Verizon is pretty much like the other carriers now, no huge advantage in getting the 2 year clock running (or at least not enough of an advantage to risk making a snap decision on a purchase that they may not be happy with).

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think you talked this into a circle a little bit Wade The reason this topic came up was you were suggesting to someone else that they should go ahead and get the verizon iphone 4 instead of waiting to see what came out later to get the 2 year clock running. I was simply stating that Verizon is one step ahead and have ended the new every 2 plan. So in effect Verizon is pretty much like the other carriers now, no huge advantage in getting the 2 year clock running (or at least not enough of an advantage to risk making a snap decision on a purchase that they may not be happy with).

No, I don't think I'm talking myself in circles.

Signs are pointing towards the fact that it is likely going to be around 18 months before we see the iPhone 5 on Verizon.

So why wouldn't I buy the iPhone 4 now and get the 20-month clock ticking rather than waiting 18 months for the iPhone 5?

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #72
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Signs are pointing towards the fact that it is likely going to be around 18 months before we see the iPhone 5 on Verizon.

So why wouldn't I buy the iPhone 4 now and get the 20-month clock ticking rather than waiting 18 months for the iPhone 5?

18 months!? Wouldn't the iPhone 6 be coming out on AT&T at that point?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #73
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, the conversation went:

Honolulu_Blue was concerned that if he went ahead and got the iphone 4 with verizon, he would have problems traveling with it overseas because of it being CDMA.

My comment was that the rumors currently say that the Verizon Iphone 5 (whenever it does eventually come out) would support LTE which would have coverage overseas and help solve his problem.

To which you responded that it likely will be 2 years till the iphone 5 came out that it was good enough to go ahead and get the clock rolling.

To which I cautioned that the huge discount every 2 years verizon gives is going away. So we won't be talking a $99 phone here in the future.

So I was assuming we were talking about H_B to which if international travel is a big concern for him, then I don't think I would caution rushing into it.

My assumption is people who are die-hard must-have iphone people likely already have it with AT&T. People who are die-hard Verizon fans who wouldn't mind an iphone likely will go ahead and jump on the availability when it comes out. People who are currently with AT&T for the iphone and hate AT&T will likely be looking to move as soon as it is affordable (due to the $325 early termination fee). But for everyone else, they might have reasons to hold off on getting the iphone 4 just yet until it makes more sense for their particular case. In H_B's case it sounds like he currently is with Verizon, so due to the international issue, I would think he would want to save his upgrade for something more suiting his needs.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #74
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
18 months!? Wouldn't the iPhone 6 be coming out on AT&T at that point?

I haven't heard anything about an iphone 6 yet. I don't even know if it is even with a target date. The latest rumors I heard was that the iphone 5 could possible available as early as July of this year. No one seems to know if it will be AT&T only at first or both AT&T and Verizon or what though.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #75
wade moore
lolzcat

I was actually talking about my specific case.

On Verizon, want an iPhone, but would never use AT&T.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #76
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about an iphone 6 yet. I don't even know if it is even with a target date. The latest rumors I heard was that the iphone 5 could possible available as early as July of this year. No one seems to know if it will be AT&T only at first or both AT&T and Verizon or what though.

And I agree with this. Rumors, however, seem to be leaning towards the iPhone 5 not being available this summer for Verizon and not coming to Verizon until at least February of next year, if not next summer.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #77
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was actually talking about my specific case.

On Verizon, want an iPhone, but would never use AT&T.

In your specific case then, I still would wait at least till we find out what the plans are for iphone 5. You mentioned you wern't up for an upgrade until August earlier (which is why I assumed you were talking to H_B). By August I am assuming that we will have a good idea of what the schedule is for iphone 5 and if it might even be available for Verizon by August.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #78
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

They've released a new Iphone every June/July for the past four years. Are they planning on breaking that cycle after iPhone 5?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #79
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, the conversation went:

Honolulu_Blue was concerned that if he went ahead and got the iphone 4 with verizon, he would have problems traveling with it overseas because of it being CDMA.

My comment was that the rumors currently say that the Verizon Iphone 5 (whenever it does eventually come out) would support LTE which would have coverage overseas and help solve his problem.

To which you responded that it likely will be 2 years till the iphone 5 came out that it was good enough to go ahead and get the clock rolling.

To which I cautioned that the huge discount every 2 years verizon gives is going away. So we won't be talking a $99 phone here in the future.

So I was assuming we were talking about H_B to which if international travel is a big concern for him, then I don't think I would caution rushing into it.

My assumption is people who are die-hard must-have iphone people likely already have it with AT&T. People who are die-hard Verizon fans who wouldn't mind an iphone likely will go ahead and jump on the availability when it comes out. People who are currently with AT&T for the iphone and hate AT&T will likely be looking to move as soon as it is affordable (due to the $325 early termination fee). But for everyone else, they might have reasons to hold off on getting the iphone 4 just yet until it makes more sense for their particular case. In H_B's case it sounds like he currently is with Verizon, so due to the international issue, I would think he would want to save his upgrade for something more suiting his needs.

You are correct on all accounts, sir.

I currently have a Blackberry (some kind of "world edition") on Verizon. I have a "data only" plan that's about $50-60 a month or so. Whenever I go overseas, I can call and activate the "global" data plan which costs an extra $20 or so.

Other than Verizon not always activating it right, I have never really had any issues with it. There is also no data "roaming" charges or anything like that. I am free to use as much of the Blackberry as I need for email, web browsing, etc.

Despite loving the idea of an upgrade, since the Blackberry is pretty old and limited, I am not sure if the potential hassel and exuberant costs (international roaming fees) are worth it at this point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #80
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Some other interesting related reports via Changeway surveys

I am honestly surprised at this. not that the AT&T number is so high, but the fact T-Mobile is higher than Sprint's.

Edit: this was obviously before the Verizon iphone announcement since which the number of AT&T users claiming they will switch has gone up.

I guess 4.7% is better than 6%, but still that is pretty downright awful.

Last edited by Alan T : 01-14-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #81
RainMaker
General Manager

That's actually not that bad considering they have like a 30% rate in Manhattan.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #82
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
In your specific case then, I still would wait at least till we find out what the plans are for iphone 5. You mentioned you wern't up for an upgrade until August earlier (which is why I assumed you were talking to H_B). By August I am assuming that we will have a good idea of what the schedule is for iphone 5 and if it might even be available for Verizon by August.

Trying to figure out what my deal is actually. My "new every two" is in August, but I can upgrade to the iPhone now.

I don't want to play the "waiting game" like I did with the iPhone 4. I suspect we won't know if it's coming to Verizon, for sure, until at least June. If I wait until June, I may be stuck with the iPhone 4 for 4-6 months longer than I would have if I just buy it when it is available.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #83
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure what you don't understand here. He wants to start the clock running for his post iPhone 4 phone. He does not want to wait 6 months, get tired of waiting, buy the iPhone 4 anyway and be 6 months behind. There is still a 2 year clock in that situation. And there is still a huge savings after 2 years. Before 2 years (or 20 months, whatever) it would cost ~$600 for a new iphone, after that time it is ~$200. Verizon has not gotten rid of the two year upgrades, they have gotten rid of the additional incentive given toward 2 year upgrades that other carriers do not offer.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #84
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe that's exactly what Alan just said. Different conclusions to that though.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #85
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure what you don't understand here. He wants to start the clock running for his post iPhone 4 phone. He does not want to wait 6 months, get tired of waiting, buy the iPhone 4 anyway and be 6 months behind. There is still a 2 year clock in that situation. And there is still a huge savings after 2 years. Before 2 years (or 20 months, whatever) it would cost ~$600 for a new iphone, after that time it is ~$200. Verizon has not gotten rid of the two year upgrades, they have gotten rid of the additional incentive given toward 2 year upgrades that other carriers do not offer.

I had thought Wade and I had come to some level of understanding prior to your post. I'm not going to tell Wade what to do with his upgrade, but in the case of H_B, I personally would wait the extra 5 months or so just to see what happens with iphone 5.

The rest of your post pretty much repeats what I and others have already said.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #86
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had thought Wade and I had come to some level of understanding prior to your post. I'm not going to tell Wade what to do with his upgrade, but in the case of H_B, I personally would wait the extra 5 months or so just to see what happens with iphone 5.

The rest of your post pretty much repeats what I and others have already said.

Sorry, you said the same thing like 8 times and it was wrong.. I must have missed the ninth.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #87
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Since switching my family from Sprint to Verizon about 4 months ago, we couldn't be happier.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #88
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, you said the same thing like 8 times and it was wrong.. I must have missed the ninth.

What did I say that was wrong? I have news articles to back up what I am saying if you can tell me the part that is wrong.

I have said that verizon is getting rid of the new every two program.
I have said that means people won't be able to get a new iPhone now and then use that program in the future for an iphone5.
I have said that I doubt verizon comes out with a new program later this year and instead they keep it something similar to what the other major providers offer today.

I guess I don't understand the reason you feel the need to attack me and then say similar things to what I have already said. Is this solely because you feel the new every two plan to not be much better than what other providers offer today? If so then I disagree. I think getting a $99 iPhone instead of a $200 iPhone (or half price) in the new every two plan would have been a huge edge over AT&T so getting rid of that program in my mind is a big deal and what users are left with is definitely not comparable to what verizon used to offer.

If there is some other reason you feel the need to be so aggressive towards me withyour posts then I honestly don't understand what the point is that you are trying to make is.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #89
Galaxy
Coordinator

Interesting article from Fortune on Verizon and the iPhone from back in late October.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/...ne_seidenberg/

How does LTE work exactly and how much is it?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #90
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of sucks I just renewed my two-year Verizon contract as a secondary line on a three-person family plan (Not a smart phone quite).

If I wanted to opt out at some point (maybe next year) and get on my own plan (still with Verizon and hopefully with a smartphone) at some point down the line, would they still charge a fee? Would that impact the rest of the plan?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #91
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not sure... I'm sure some customer service rep could do so for you, but you'd have to ask and see.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #92
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not sure... I'm sure some customer service rep could do so for you, but you'd have to ask and see.

Seems like they would make more money off me on a primary plan.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Usually the customer service people in stores are very helpful about doing things like that. I'm sure they probably get some sort of commission or something for setting up a separate plan or whatnot.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #94
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Usually the customer service people in stores are very helpful about doing things like that. I'm sure they probably get some sort of commission or something for setting up a separate plan or whatnot.

They actually will be able to pull it up on their computer and tell you exactly what your cost would be. They have it all scripted in their system without much leeway for changing it. (Perhaps managers or specials can overwrite it though, but I am not familiar with what type of play is there for that).

Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #95
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
They actually will be able to pull it up on their computer and tell you exactly what your cost would be. They have it all scripted in their system without much leeway for changing it. (Perhaps managers or specials can overwrite it though, but I am not familiar with what type of play is there for that).

Hmmm...

The fee becomes less and less by the month, right?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

yeah-if you go into the store, and the sales person sees a possible commission, they will work it out for you.

My friend who works for Verizon said that the hotspot on the iPhone was going to be $20 extra, but he is relatively new there and might be incorrect.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hmmm...

The fee becomes less and less by the month, right?

yeah, the cancellation is like 5 or 10 dollars less per month after a certain point.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #98
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
yeah-if you go into the store, and the sales person sees a possible commission, they will work it out for you.

My friend who works for Verizon said that the hotspot on the iPhone was going to be $20 extra, but he is relatively new there and might be incorrect.

So basically sell them on why you're a more profitable customer in the long-term. Seems like a primary phone line would be more profitable than one on a secondary one.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-16-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
So basically sell them on why you're a more profitable customer in the long-term. Seems like a primary phone line would be more profitable than one on a secondary one.

Probably so. I'd go in and ask a rep about doing it right now, cause the stores are slow. Then in a few weeks go back and see that rep to get your iPhone. And maybe buy an accessory off of him/her.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #100
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For people who recently bought a Verizon smart phone, they are offering a small incentive to people to buy an iphone now:

Quote:
I just purchased a new smartphone during the holiday season, but if I knew that iPhone 4 was going to be available soon I would have waited. What are my options now?

Current Verizon customers who purchased and activated new smartphones, feature phones or certified pre-owned phones between 11/26/2010, and 01/10/2011, are eligible to receive up to a $200 Visa debit card when they purchase an iPhone 4 at full retail price by 02/28/2011 and return their existing phone. Note: This offer is only available on consumer accounts with five lines or less, who are purchasing iPhone 4 through Verizon Wireless retail stores, telesales, or through verizonwireless.com.

This means you would likely have to pay somewhere around $500-$600 for the iphone 4 though, but you could at least then try to sell your old smartphone to try to offset some of the cost perhaps. Not the best deal in the world, but at least it is better than nothing for the people that just -MUST HAVE- the new verizon iphone.