Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Progressive Eyeglass Lenses

My eye doctor suggested I switch to them with my yearly eye exam. I've never needed readers, though I'm 41 now. I've had them 4 days, and they're driving me fucking bonkers. Anyone had any experience with them? I feel like I've got tunnel vision. I had Lasik 12 years ago and thought I was done with this shit. I'm on my second year with glasses again.

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Progressive Lenses - how long did it take to acclimate (pain, surgery) - Doctors, illness, diseases, nutrition, sleep, stress, diet, hospitals, medicine, cancer, heart disease - City-Data Forum

See if that thread helps.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Was a total flop for me, just could not handle it. I believe I would have eventually managed most stuff but they were impossible to tolerate for the computer screen at my normal distance.

I ended up with bifocals for everything else and a single strength for computer use only (which is up to 16 hours of my day, so that's kinda the priority)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

I've given up after 4-5 days and put my old glasses on. I'm going to try and just get a single prescription lens (like what I've got on). I've never had an issue reading. I'm also going to look into lasik again. I have no idea how people see out of those damn things.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I tried Progressive contact lens almost 2 years ago. Within a couple of weeks, I switched back to my old prescription. In speaking with my Optometrist, he indicated that there is an adjustment period, it doesn't always work for everyone, and in truth - if it works for a patient 80% of the time, then that is considered "successful".

I waited over a year before trying them again. This time, I came in with lowered expectations, and I have grown adjusted to them. In truth, there are still times it is frustrating. And the Doc was probably right about the 80% rule. But I do it more for convenience. I also switched out my regular glasses as well.

So, bottom line - doesn't work for everyone. But they work for me with the proper mindset.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

I called my optometrist today, he's ordering in "normal" lenses for me to replace the progressive ones. Couldn't do it.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I have no idea how people see out of those damn things.

The biggest aha moment for me with the glasses was when the Doctor held a magazine. I started looking down, and as I slowly raised my head - the magazine came more into focus. I could then visibly notice the point where I needed to "look" in order to focus on the page. The first couple of weeks is disconcerting, but eventually your mind begins to automatically adjust to make the focus best for you. Some type of muscle memory?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I called my optometrist today, he's ordering in "normal" lenses for me to replace the progressive ones. Couldn't do it.

I can totally understand!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
The biggest aha moment for me with the glasses was when the Doctor held a magazine. I started looking down, and as I slowly raised my head - the magazine came more into focus. I could then visibly notice the point where I needed to "look" in order to focus on the page. The first couple of weeks is disconcerting, but eventually your mind begins to automatically adjust to make the focus best for you. Some type of muscle memory?

Two things really got me. The blind spot on the lower corners of the lenses, and when I sat on an end of a basketball court on Friday and watched my daughter's game. Obviously the depth perception constantly changed, and it drove me crazy. Maybe it would have changed over a week, month, whatever, but damn I'd go crazy until then.