Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Jets80
High School Varsity

Question Direct TV & NFL Sunday Ticket Question

I have had the NFL Sunday Ticket for the past few seasons. But this year I droped my DirectTV and switched over the Digital Cable.

Since the NFL Sunday Ticket is a must have, Im wondering does anyone know if I can just sign up for DirectTV Football package and nothing else. I have heard rumors from people you can get just the NFL package but cant find any proof. Just talked to the CSR from DirectTV but she was pretty stupid and didn't know what I was asking.

Thanks
????

Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'd be really surprised if you could have Sunday Ticket without any other service. DTV doesn't make any money doing that.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

They USED to offer this sort of thing, allowing you to have any of their pay services - including HBO, etc. and sports subscriptions, only charging you the cost of that, plus a $10 a month "access fee." Since they changed names/tiers of packages a few years ago, they no longer offer this. I believe that people are still grandfathered into this sort of thing, but it would be a miracle if you could get a CSR to give it to you now.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

A key reason why DirecTV is ponying up a ton of money for ST is to keep people with DirecTV and away from (semi-)Digital Cable.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's the only reason I haven't at least looked at other options. I'd probably stay, but I haven't even been tempted to look.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Jets80
High School Varsity

Thanks for the feed back... guess im going to have to double up on my TV bill for a couple months.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yikes, that will hurt. Paying for digital cable + DirecTV + Sunday Ticket? How will that even work? You'll have to view everything through your satellite box anyway so if you're going to go that road, why not just fully switch back to DirecTV?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Jets80
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Yikes, that will hurt. Paying for digital cable + DirecTV + Sunday Ticket? How will that even work? You'll have to view everything through your satellite box anyway so if you're going to go that road, why not just fully switch back to DirecTV?

I Guess I'll just bust out the satilite dish on Sundays. Pay the basic 29.95 + Sunday Ticket for like 3 months. I dont want to switch becasue im happy with my cable, no wires , no dish. To watch the out of market games, watch the Jets and follow my fantasy football teams the cost will be justified.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i think there lower price package too not advertised.

just call and see if you can just get regular channels only. very basic.

it might be cheaper.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine

He probably gets a discount on cable ISP for having digital cable service on the same bill.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Jets80
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
He probably gets a discount on cable ISP for having digital cable service on the same bill.

Yup. Internet , digital cable , HBO and DVR(2 Rooms) for 85 bucks a month. I feel thats a pretty good offer so not looking to change it.

Damn the DirectTV monoply on the NFL Ticket.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure a guy that I work with sings back up for DirecTV every football season, then cancels it afterwards (at least that's what I think he did last time, though I would have thought DirecTV would have a minimum signup duration...)
Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I'm pretty sure a guy that I work with sings back up for DirecTV every football season, then cancels it afterwards (at least that's what I think he did last time, though I would have thought DirecTV would have a minimum signup duration...)

If you have equipment and don't need a subsidy to buy any, you can activate service without any commitment. I would not be surprised if they are now charging an activation fee to turn service on every time though.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets80
Yup. Internet , digital cable , HBO and DVR(2 Rooms) for 85 bucks a month. I feel thats a pretty good offer so not looking to change it.

Damn the DirectTV monoply on the NFL Ticket.

If I got a deal like that with Time Warner, I might consider it. But they want $40 for Internet + the digital cable package cost, and last time I checked it was still about $20 cheaper for me to stick with DirecTV...
Old 07-06-2005, 02:55 AM   #15
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

A very simple solution. Move to Canada. ST is on cable there.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:09 AM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Agreed, gstelmack, it not only saved me money to switch to DirecTV but I get better signal, have two tuners for my Tivo, and can get Sunday Ticket.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
If you have equipment and don't need a subsidy to buy any, you can activate service without any commitment. I would not be surprised if they are now charging an activation fee to turn service on every time though.

Ah, good point - you're right, those usually come when you are buying a tuner I guess.