Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

Teams of Potential

Did you ever see a team start to be assembled, piece by piece, and wonder if they were going to be a "team of destiny"? I'm not talking about drafting a superstar like Tim Duncan and then thinking the Spurs would be good (duh!).

The reason this comes to mind is the NBA draft was just held. I'm not a huge basketball fan, but I do root for the Celtics. It seems to me that over the last 3 years, they've assembled a fantastic amount of potential. I starting to wonder if we're seeing the beginnings of what could be a dynasty.

Danny Ainge took the team over two years ago.

In his first draft, Danny drafted:

PG Marcus Banks
C Kedrick Perkins

Banks really hasn't lived up to expectations, but there's still hope after learning from Gary Payton last year. Perkins was a High School player who was considered a project. He's now starting to come into his own and could be a huge force in the next few years.

The next year, Danny drafted:

PF Al Jefferson
SG Tony Allen
PG Delonte West

AlJef exceeded all expectations last year. Coming straight out of High School, he really showed his rebounding and scoring potential. SG Tony Allen is a streaky defensive stopper with great athleticism. PG Delonte West is going to challenge for the starting PG spot this year. All 3 have the potential to be solid starters, with AlJef having much more than that. And you really can't forget about 2nd round pick F Justin Reed, another project player who has shown promise.

Now this year, the Celtics drafted:

F Gerald Green
PG Orien Green (2nd round)
F Ryan Gomes (2nd round)

Gerald Green has to be considered the steal of the draft. Favorably compared to TMac, he somehow slipped to the 18th spot. He's yet another High School player with incredible potential. Even the 2nd round picks of PG Orien Green and F Ryan Gomes have monster upsides.

Looking at this roster, there's 3 High School kids who have the size, skills, speed and talent to be very good, All-Star type players - Perkins (C), AlJef (PF) and Gerald Green (SF). Add in a mix of role-players in Allen, West, Banks and Gomes who all have shown skill enough to think they could be solid starters, that's a heck of a future. Not to mention existing players like Paul Pierce and Ricky Davis who are proven players who also have decent trade value.

Now potential doesn't always equate to winning, but this team has the potential to really become a force in the NBA.

Have you ever seen a team assembled piece-by-piece in the draft and said, early on, that these guys could be incredibly good?

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If they bring Walker back I'm burning down the BankNorth Garden.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Token Asian Guy
n00b

I love the Celts potential, but with all those high schoolers, it becomes a waiting game. I don't believe that Paul Pierce will be around for too much longer, which could be a good thing for the youth movement, but you need steady contributors, not guys who COULD become the next big thing. With that said, I love what the Bobcats have done in their 2 years as a franchise. They managed to scrape the bottom of the barrel in the NBA (yes, that's you Primoz Brezec) to find some real gems while drafting exceptionally well. The trifecta of Okafor, Sean May, and Felton should be solid, not spectacular, but it's still a better start than what Vancouver did.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they need to get something for Pierce and get him out of town. that guy is a dickhead.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Have you ever seen a team assembled piece-by-piece in the draft and said, early on, that these guys could be incredibly good?

The Golden State Warriors, when they had Larry Hughes, Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas about 3 years ago. I always thought that if they weren't in the west they'd be a playoff team.

All three now play for the Washington Wizards, and went on to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

AlJef?? I really hope you're the only one that uses that.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
The Golden State Warriors, when they had Larry Hughes, Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas about 3 years ago. I always thought that if they weren't in the west they'd be a playoff team.

Well, since you brought up the Warriors, props must be given to Run TMC.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

The problem I see with the Celtics is keeping everyone? Surely a couple of those listed guys will think they're better than the spot and/or money they've been given on the roster...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
msf518
n00b

As soon as I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of the Celtics.
msf518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I think if they make the move toward some more established college players the next few years (a la Chicago with Heinrich and Gordon) then they've definitely got a lot to work with. You can be too young though, and sometimes it's better to have that talent spread out a little age-wise.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The talent level on the Celtics is impressive. The problem with most talented HS kids is that by the time they get to the point where they are good NBA players, they are FAs. And, until they get to that point, they are extremely inconsistent and frustrating to watch.

I think if you could still have this team in 4-5 seasons, they could be very good. But I have a feeling the salaries needed to keep all these guys around might even make Isiah blush.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
they need to get something for Pierce and get him out of town. that guy is a dickhead.

I don't think the guy is a dickhead, but he does need a change of scenery. I remember back to when he first started playing and was all smiles. Now it looks like he has to grind out every game.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I don't think the guy is a dickhead, but he does need a change of scenery. I remember back to when he first started playing and was all smiles. Now it looks like he has to grind out every game.

He and Doc cannot coexist and that is all Pierce's fault.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

He was already looking pretty miserable when O'Brien was coaching. I think Boston isn't the right city for him.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Celts could also still have Billups and Joe Johnson... They traded both to early and now they are superstars.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

At least he fucking tries.

/angry Raptors fan
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
At least he fucking tries.

/angry Raptors fan

watch him play defense at times and you won't say that.

he has to be the laziest guy running out to challenge an outside shooter.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #18
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Celts could also still have Billups and Joe Johnson... They traded both to early and now they are superstars.

Billups .... Joe Johnson ...... superstars?

Wow, yesterday I see someone call Samuel Dalembert a "franchise center", and today ... this.

These terms get looser, and looser every day.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #19
Desnudo
Coordinator

He does try hard. He also looks like he might go postal at any moment.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

I give them a pass on Billups. He sucked everywhere but Detroit which is the perfect system for him. He has definately developed but I consider him a product of the Pistons.

Joe Johnson? Meh, you can have him.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

The C's summer league team looks like it could be pretty fun to watch.

http://www.vegassummerleague.com/teams.cfm?team=1
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #22
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
I give them a pass on Billups. He sucked everywhere but Detroit which is the perfect system for him. He has definately developed but I consider him a product of the Pistons.

Joe Johnson? Meh, you can have him.

Billups was finals MVP and what PG besides Nash would you rather have. Joe Johnson is only 24 and avg. 17 pts, .461 FG , .478 3P, 75% FT, 5.10 RB, 3.5 A, 1.5 TO... If he were an unrestricted FA he would get a huge deal from teams.. He played better than Carmelo Anthony who will probaly be a perrenial All-Star.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Billups was finals MVP and what PG besides Nash would you rather have. Joe Johnson is only 24 and avg. 17 pts, .461 FG , .478 3P, 75% FT, 5.10 RB, 3.5 A, 1.5 TO... If he were an unrestricted FA he would get a huge deal from teams.. He played better than Carmelo Anthony who will probaly be a perrenial All-Star.

MVP, Shemvp. He's useless in a different setting.

Johnson is fine but I wouldn't give him a huge deal. perrenial all-star I think not and really had no place to fit in at the time with Boston. He can't play point and was just Pierce lite. Ricky Davis is just as good and cheaper anyway.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Dola

And when you look at Billups career stats this supposed "improvement" is just a facade. He's the same guy as his rookie year basically, surrounded by a great team.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #25
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm very pumped for the Celtics future! They are also very strong in the Sarunas Jasikevicius bidding. He's older (29 i believe) but has been the Euro MVP the last two years i think. Some compare him to Steve Nash, he's a tall pass first PG but still can score. Unfortunately it looks like it will take the full Mid-Level Exception to get him, which isn't what Ainge wanted to do according to the papers around here (spend half on a vet PG and half on a solid big man).

Not sure if this will work, but it's a lil clip of all the Euros pleading for him to stay overseas, plus a few action shots. (stole it from celticsblog.com forum)

hxxp://www.tzahevet.co.il/cmdb/video/the_clip/stay.wmv
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

dola

You can see the passion Sarunas has for the game, something Pierce seems to be lacking since a few years ago.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #27
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Dola

And when you look at Billups career stats this supposed "improvement" is just a facade. He's the same guy as his rookie year basically, surrounded by a great team.

Wow have you watched basketball lately.. Billups was a lost soul bouncing from team to team. He was the #3 pick in the draft so he has the potential and he just had to learn the NBA game. He has got better in almost every cat. He hits big shots, he has been clutch in the NBA finals 2 years in a row. Is he John Stockton, No but in today's game he is as solid an option going around the league.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow have you watched basketball lately.. Billups was a lost soul bouncing from team to team. He was the #3 pick in the draft so he has the potential and he just had to learn the NBA game. He has got better in almost every cat. He hits big shots, he has been clutch in the NBA finals 2 years in a row. Is he John Stockton, No but in today's game he is as solid an option going around the league.

Kwame Brown was #1 so what difference does it make?

His "great" MVP year featured 39% shooting and 5 assists a game. Whoopeee.

Somehow Bos, Toronto, Denver and Minnesota all passed and 9 years into his career he's the man.

Give me a break. He's a solid contributor in a system tailor made for his skill level. Surround him with others, say the talent level of Bos, Toronto, Denver and Minnesota and he's nothing special at all.

Pick anybody and they can shoot 40% and dish out 5 assists as the PG in Detroit.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #29
Desnudo
Coordinator

To be fair to Billups, not a whole of people developed with Pitino in town.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #30
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
No but in today's game he is as solid an option going around the league.

From "superstar" to "solid".
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
Wow, yesterday I see someone call Samuel Dalembert a "franchise center", and today ... this.

These terms get looser, and looser every day.

ROFL
Old 07-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #32
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Kwame Brown was #1 so what difference does it make?

His "great" MVP year featured 39% shooting and 5 assists a game. Whoopeee.

Somehow Bos, Toronto, Denver and Minnesota all passed and 9 years into his career he's the man.

Give me a break. He's a solid contributor in a system tailor made for his skill level. Surround him with others, say the talent level of Bos, Toronto, Denver and Minnesota and he's nothing special at all.

Pick anybody and they can shoot 40% and dish out 5 assists as the PG in Detroit.

The truth is somewhere between:

"I give them a pass on Billups. He sucked everywhere but Detroit which is the perfect system for him. He has definately developed but I consider him a product of the Pistons."

"Joe Johnson? Meh, you can have him."

and

"Celts could also still have Billups and Joe Johnson... They traded both to early and now they are superstars."

Superstars? No.

But if you'd cast off Billups and Johnson as trash, you're sorely mistaken. Detriot's system may help Billups, but he's a fine all-around player. 16 ppg and 6 apg is nothing to sneeze at, especially for an All-defensive 2nd team player. So he's an effective offensive player and a defensive stopper. Sucked? Try again.

Joe Johnson has only been in the league for 4 years and he's a very good player, a guy who can score, pass and rebound as well as handle the ball effectively. He may not be a #1 option, but he's a pretty good #2. We made a horrible decision in trading him.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
The truth is somewhere between:

"I give them a pass on Billups. He sucked everywhere but Detroit which is the perfect system for him. He has definately developed but I consider him a product of the Pistons."

"Joe Johnson? Meh, you can have him."

and

"Celts could also still have Billups and Joe Johnson... They traded both to early and now they are superstars."

Superstars? No.

But if you'd cast off Billups and Johnson as trash, you're sorely mistaken. Detriot's system may help Billups, but he's a fine all-around player. 16 ppg and 6 apg is nothing to sneeze at, especially for an All-defensive 2nd team player. So he's an effective offensive player and a defensive stopper. Sucked? Try again.

Joe Johnson has only been in the league for 4 years and he's a very good player, a guy who can score, pass and rebound as well as handle the ball effectively. He may not be a #1 option, but he's a pretty good #2. We made a horrible decision in trading him.

Perhaps they may have been well served to keep Johnson but do you want to pay him what the Suns likely will as Boston? We don't have a Nash or Stodamire. I'd rather live with Ricky at the 3.

Neither suck but to somehow look and say the Celtics would be farther along with them is questionable. Yeah Pitino bailed on Billups put big deal. 9 years later he's not all that great anyway.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #34
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Perhaps they may have been well served to keep Johnson but do you want to pay him what the Suns likely will as Boston? We don't have a Nash or Stodamire. I'd rather live with Ricky at the 3.

Neither suck but to somehow look and say the Celtics would be farther along with them is questionable. Yeah Pitino bailed on Billups put big deal. 9 years later he's not all that great anyway.

He's only played 8 seasons.

He wasn't worthy of the #3 choice, but he's better than any other PG we've had during that time.

Kenny Anderson wasn't that good - either offensively or defensively. Or perhaps you prefer Barros, Stith, Atkins, Delk, Bremer or any of these other losers?

So he's better than what we've had. Time will tell if he's better than what we have now.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Potential is something very easy to get lost in but something just as easy to never end up realizing.

/frustrated Bulls fan.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #36
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Changing sports, the potential definitely exists for the Lions to become an offensive juggernaut aka the Colts or the Rams' Warner years. But nothing ever goes right for the Lions so, don't expect too much.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote