Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #201
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
For the record, only two boys cried, and it was before we even got to the sprints. They cried as they were finishing their laps for Ray and Ashanti being late.

Quote:
If anyone during the practice missed their block or did something wrong, they went and took a lap.

This is always a fine line at this age. Consequences for performance can lead to a fear of failure, which means kids end up thinking too much rather than doing. Consequences for choices makes the players know they're accountable. Running because someone showed up late to practice? Pretty clearly a consequence for choice (even if it was the parent's choice).

Is the second thing in the performance category? For instance, in basketball, I never make a kid run for missing a shot. It's going to happen. However, if a kid takes a 3 pointer, something I tend to let only the very best shooters do, there's going to be a problem there.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #202
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The reason I went half line (essentially 5 on 5) was to explain to them in more detail who and where to block. We talked and walked through our blocking plan before we started hitting live.

Much of our problems for the final three quarters on offense was a player blocking someone other than the person he's supposed to. We started a drive in the 2nd quarter on their 30 yard line. 3 plays and 3 penalties later, we were looking at a 4th and 42.

If at any time the boys wanted to know exactly who to block, I was more than willing to explain it. For the most part, they got it. A few times a defensive lineman came through untouched. That's where I needed to let them know we can't accept that. It's a difference of losing 2-4 yards or gaining 5-10. If they just couldn't block Ray, for example, I understand that...but I wanted the effort.

Of course, if someone grabbed a player and took them with a headlock, they most certainly were going to run. Hunter!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #203
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rumor had it the Tigers and Trojans would play each other today. My understanding is the field was finally drained yesterday afternoon. I seriously doubt they'll have it cleaned and ready for play today.

That means we *might* play on Saturday against the Trojans. There's an outside chance they could move the game elsewhere or postpone it to another date.

Personally, I'd love a chance to see them in a game before playing them, but it's probably not likely. My only consolation? I think they believe they're better than they are. Their first game was over a team that lost the next week 40-0. I'm still waiting on the score for last week's game.

The next week, 13-6 win over SGYA's team 2. Team 2, who was blasted by the Tigers in week 1. Team 2, who this past week TIED SCAC's team 4. SCAC's Team 4 had allowed 42 points and scored 0 the previous two weeks.

Here's to a win this Saturday.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #204
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Go Vols!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #205
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

You are rolling along.... in the groove of week to week prep and games, being competitive.

I am in that dreaded black hole of knowing that you are below the level of talent you are facing, and it will be that way all season. While it does inspire the competitive coaching juices, it also makes the realistic part of you dread what may come.

It sounds like you might have a team that will make some championship noise, good luck.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #206
Poli
FOFC Survivor

There was definitely a buzz going around Tuesday at the practice field amongst the coaches that we beat the Blue Hawks.

We could go anywhere from 4-4 to 7-1. We have three tough opponents that will give us a test. If we get past the Trojans with a win, I could see us at 5-3 or better. The Titans and White Hawks are the only teams that concern me at this point.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #207
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yesterday's practice went rather well from my perspective.

I got what information I could on the Trojans, which consisted of talking to one of the coaches that have scrimmaged them often enough. 3 tight ends and an "I" backfield is what I'm told. Nothing too special, not too fast.

That's a dramatic change from when we scrimmaged them some 4-5 weeks ago, where they were a confusing, unprepared, Wing-T team. Actually, this info made me feel even better about the game than before.

Defensively, they're still a 5-3, but they essentially now have their top 3 players (Tyler, Seth, and Casey) at linebackers. Before, they experimented with them at safety and defensive end. I like this as well, as it might be easier to block out there line. If our tight ends and wings make the good block on the backers, we should be in business.

Practice started with some tackling, though they certainly didn't get enough to satisfy me. They were actually asking for some 5 on 5 halfline work. We went to team defense after that, where we repped some scout offense against them. Pitch left, pitch right, off tackle left and right, dives. Play actions. Alex took the spot of Ryan, which I hope will allow Ryan to rest a few plays and re-energize him for the offense.

Unfortunately, Alex quickly forgot about how to line up properly and allowed himself to get blown out when he was hit. Alex's days as a starter are probably over on Saturday. Otherwise, I can only hope we're ready defensively for a team I wasn't able to scout.

Offensively, I think we're sharper than last week. Our counter off the power caused me headaches. I probably won't call that play if it looks that bad during our walkthrough Saturday morning. It was screwed up the first 3 times we ran it to one side. When I flipped it, I had the exact same problem going the other way. Flippin crazy.

Otherwise, not too bad.

Special teams got Hunter upset. He was replaced at punter after his bad game by Carlos. Not a happy camper. I'll give him another shot next week. I also took him and Ray off the kickoff team after observing some loafing by them.

We'll see. The Bulldogs coach watched our game last Saturday and doesn't believe I have much to worry about. I wish I felt the same way. I was up the past couple of hours dreaming about the game.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #208
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Whoo to a good practice! Let's hope you guys pass this challenge.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #209
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Senator's team is invading mine.

Alex, my newly knighted starting defensive tackle, has a migraine. He may not make the game. MIGRAINE? AT THE AGE OF 9??
Old 09-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #210
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I should hear from Alex's mom in about an hour on if he'll make it, I'm guessing he won't. That sends Ryan back in with the first unit on defense.

Everything's ready to go, with the exception of the old video camera. I inadvertently left the camera on the past couple of days, and now the battery's dead. I'll charge it as long as I can before I have to head out. Hopefully it doesn't take a good hour for it to charge.

I have to pick up David and give him a ride down to the game.

After the game, I'm heading home and then up to SCAC's field. Our next opponent, the Raiders, play there this afternoon.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #211
Senator

Good Luck, coach!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #212
Poli
FOFC Survivor

You won't believe this, but it ended in a tie, 0-0. Both teams will come away thinking they could have and should have won it. They were inside our 10 twice. We were inside their 20 three times. Neither side could punch it in.

I was actually warned early in the 2nd quarter about our wedge blocking. The referee was wrong, which made it difficult for me to approach him about. We continued to run it and we weren't flagged.

We did have difficulty blocking their nose tackle and left outside linebacker. When we had both blocked, we had success. When one beat the block, we were hurting. Overall, we looked much better offensively this week than last, we just didn't have those big plays like last week. At one point, we drove 60 yards methodically, we just couldn't get it done.

Ryan is going to have to move somewhere. He's taking advantage of just snapping the ball and that's it. Layne will likely become the center, though Ryan has shown nearly no ability to maintain a block, much less pull on a play.

Ashanti is quite likely a backup on offense now as well. He became a sub on defense last week when he didn't show up for a practice. This week, he was a master of looking like he was doing his job. He really wasn't, and it's disappointing.

Alex did a decent job at the DT spot. He didn't really move upfield, but he certainly created a pile when the guard plopped on top of him every play.

Just like week 1 and the second half of week 3, we were a few blocks from having a couple of scores. Those are the breaks. I'm sure the Trojans feel the same way.

The next opponent is going to be fun. They lost to SCAC 1 (we beat SCAC 1, 6-0), 31-0. Turns out, the Raiders haven't scored a point all year. They won't start this week. They're incredibly simple on offense, and have nearly no talent. With just 13 players, I don't understand why they're even a team.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #213
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We are going to make some changes. Ryan will move to right tackle, where his slow foot speed will make him less of a liability. Ray will move to right guard, where we can take advantage of his athleticism a little more. Layne will be the new center.

Ryan will make or break us at this point. He's got to be ready.

One issue we'll have with this game is that the Titans will be out there in full force watching us play. They play in the game before us, I see no reason why they wouldn't scout us this weekend.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #214
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Our offensive gameplan this week will be really simple. I plan to just call our powers, sweeps, wedges, and passes. Counters are likely out as I probably won't need them against this group. Passes are only in to try and complete a few this season. Honestly, I want to use as few plays as possible because our next opponent, the undefeated Titans, will be watching our game. Special/trick play and formations are out for that very reason. No need in showing the Titans any more than I have to.

Defensively, our linebackers are almost going to completely ignore the tight ends this week. They didn't go out for a single pass last week.

I can't wait for Saturday.

Last edited by Poli : 10-01-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #215
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Practice went well. Layne actually didn't really like the idea of moving to center. That's funny since he was really against the move to guard initially. He likes to pull. We may rethink it since I believe Ryan got the wakeup call when he moved to tackle.

Defensively, we're all set. They know what to do against their three formations. Offense is relatively simple this week, so we know what we're doing there as well. Piece of cake.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #216
Senator

Hopefully the kids don't know it's a walkover game. Good Luck. You get an easy one, and I get the top team in the county. Have fun!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #217
Senator

Speaking of the tie game. Do you not have overtime?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #218
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We do have overtime, four plays from the 10 to score. We wedged up the middle twice for 7 yards. Wedge bootlegged for a loss of 3. We then ran Power Right and was hit for no gain when their insane Nose tackle slanted INTO the hole, beating Layne and Ryan off the ball.

They came out and ran up the middle for 2, outside for 3, off left tackle for no gain, and the swept left and came up three yards short.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #219
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Hopefully the kids don't know it's a walkover game. Good Luck. You get an easy one, and I get the top team in the county. Have fun!
Unfortunately, they do know. The kids are rather social with each other, which kind of blows me away. They chat each other up before and after the games, and I have no idea how they knew about this team. Flipping internets, I guess.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You & Sen think you've got roster troubles? Check this story out (if you haven't already)
ESPN - ESPN The Magazine
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #221
Senator

yikes

Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #222
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Boy, ol' boy, did I have some headaches tonight.

Lot of kids shoving kids, kids telling on other kids for shoving, stuff like that. More so than I usually get.

However, when practice started, I was three boys short. Nathaniel I understood, he went with his mom to the vice presidential debate. Maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity, I understood. Noah, the younger brother and backup QB, was supposed to be at practice. Where was he? At the debate as well. When did I find out? Oh, about 10 minutes in to practice.

The third boy? Ryan. Ryan didn't like bearcrawling on defense and it essentially cost him his job. Ryan struggled with his blocking at center and it appeared to have cost his job. His answer? Quit. When did I find out, 5 minutes into practice. Flipping sweet.

Thirty minutes in, his dad brought him out with his pads on to 'talk' to me. I stroked his ego, explained I saw he had a wakeup call on Tuesday and was planning on using him at center. I explained that we're not bear crawling this week against the Raiders as well. In the end, I told him it's up to him, that'd I'd love to have him, but it's up to him. I walked away.

Ten minutes later he enters the practice field. No one makes a scene about it, and we just roll with it.

JD practiced at quarterback, which sucked. Not JD's fault, it's just I should have had a flipping quarterback there.

The Raiders are horrible, but maybe not horrible enough to beat our team at it's current state.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #223
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I went by the 'field' if you would call it that. It looks like it could have been rather nice at one point, but it's really horrible now.

Older fields, in particular, have that typical crowning affect in the middle of the field. As I looked at it, this field looked to have almost a "Little House on the Prairie" look to it. It looked like a hill to me, at least on the side where the stands are. My side, the visitor side, actually didn't look that bad. We'll see in a few hours.

The plan was to attempt to throw 10 passes, whether we just turned up the field or not was up to the QB. I really wanted the Titans to think we'd throw the ball quite a bit. With that field, we may amend that.

I'm actually heading out there in just about an hour to watch the warm up and game of the Titans. Most of us, if not all, use our warm up time as a pregame walkthrough of our plays. I might as well take advantage.

The assistants will be taking charge of ours this week as I'll be in the stands taking notes the entire Titans game. I'll then run down afterward to the sideline.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #224
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Did anyone ask for a 43-0 win? If so, I have your order ready!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #225
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Wow. Your team was just as good as you expected. Congrats. Can't wait for more details!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #226
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I took four captains with me today. I'm now in a position to get all the boys out there for two games, so I'll go with four the rest of the season. It's not a huge deal, but I wanted to be sure all the boys had equal opportunities to see and feel what it's like to be the 'captain'. Today's captains were David, Noah, Ryan, and Jacob.

By the way, Nolan's mom called him in sick today.

We won the toss, our first toss win since opening day. Good call, Jacob! We defer and kickoff. Of course, our kickoff isn't a kickoff. It turned out to be a poor onside kick as well. Jacob kicked it 8 yards. Fortunately, a Raider tried to jump on it. It squirted out and Ray recovered yet another kick.

We come out running sweep. Bryce lines up outside the left tight end as a wing. Ideally, he runs straight to the other side of the field, taking the ball from the quarterback in the process. Instead, he lined up 2 yards off the end, ran back another yard or two as he ran to the other side of the field, and lost 3 yards.

We run the sweep the other way. Carlos gets it done for 19. Sweep with Bryce, with similar issues, and we lose 4. Another sweep for Carlos and it's apparent Carlos is winded. He got a yard. Out he goes and in comes JD.

I call 24 Power, only Bryce (! Come on, kid!) lines up completely in the wrong spot. I burn a timeout. 3rd and 13, I decide to go Wedge instead. Connor and company get me 4 yards with it. The wedge, by the way, showed a lot of promise. 4th down, I give JD a chance on a sweep, he gains a yard and we turn it over on their 34.

Three plays later, JD causes a fumble and his brother Nick recovers it.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #227
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We come out this set running 24 Power. Bryce gains 3 cutting back against the grain. Connor hits the wedge and breaks it out behind Ray after the pile moved forward about five yards. 31 yards later, Connor's in the endzone for his second touchdown of the year!

Connor runs in the XP on the wedge and just barely gets in. Our first converted XP on the year!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #228
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Raiders recover the onside kick this time and come out with this hokie looking jet sweep that the coach must have seen in a video game and thought, "man! I got to use that!".

Having scouted them, our team was all over it. Ray punishes, flat out punishes the runner for a loss of 7(!) on a jet sweep.

The next play JD causes another fumble. This time, Layne recovers it.

JD's causing these fumbles by shooting the A gap and hitting the QB's legs. He's doing a great job. I have no idea why he couldn't do that against the Trojans.

Carlos takes the ball on a 45 Power. Ray plows a guy on the pull and Carlos scores 47 yards later. We begin our insane run of unsuccessful kicks. Jacob shanks it wide left. As in, holy cow, wide left.

13-0, VOLS.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #229
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We kick onside again, this time JD recovers the kick as it bounces off another Raider.

Connor runs the wedge for 8 more. Carlos heads outside on a sweep. Ray, gap on downing on the far side of the field, eventually finds his way to the playside and makes a crushing block on the safety to spring Carlos on a 46 yard score.

Jacob yanks this one wide left as well.

19-0 Vols.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #230
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I tell Jacob to start kicking deep, but he's either ignoring me or just has no idea what I mean by kicking it deep. He kicks it onside again, they recover.

JD makes the tackle on the first play and it ends the first quarter.

After the break and a false start, JD makes another tackle, this time for a loss of 4. 3rd and 22, we knew that the QB sneak was coming. Ray stopped it for no gain.

Out comes the punt team. Since I knew that was coming, Carlos and Bryce were 25 yards deep and JD was 10 yards deep in the middle. The punter nailed one that Carlos touched at our 34, but it sailed past him and he finally picked it up at the 29.

David clips a player on the far side, thankfully the referees didn't see it. Fortunately, I did. We'll run a lap for that one. Carlos takes the return all the way back for the score...which I assume is a 66 yard return since he initially touched it on the 34.

Jacob's kick is low and short.

25-0, Vols.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #231
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Jacob continues to ignore my pleas to kick it deep. The Raiders recover on their 48.

Nick C makes a big hit off the end for a loss of 5 to start it out. A scrum up the middle gains 2, and I have no idea who made the tackle. A fumbled snap eventually loses them 5 as well. Having learned their lesson the punt, they go for it on 4-18 from their 40. JD makes the tackle wrapping up the QB's legs.

We take over on the 39 and it's time to get every boy a touch on a wedge.

Connor becomes Jose Oquendo. He subs out so that Jacob can come in. Jacob gains 5 before getting hit and hurting his leg. Out he goes, in comes Connor.

Connor, at left tackle. My left tackle, David moves to fullback. David takes a wedge and for some reason decides to run off tackle to the left. He gains three. I can't complain.

David returns to tackle. Connor moves to left guard. Hunter moves to fullback. Hunter pauses as he gets the ball and eventually is stopped for no gain.

We call time out. Hunter heads out, Alex heads in. Alex takes over at left guard. Connor moves to left tight end. Ashanti moves to fullback. Ashanti, on a 4th and 2, gains 8.

We call our final timeout. Ashanti heads out, a little shaken. Nick T comes in. Connor moves to right tight end. Nick C moves to fullback. Nick C gains 3 on the play.

Nick C returns to right tight end. Connor moves to left tight end. Nick T moves to fullback. Nick gains 2 on the wedge.

Last play before the half...we're on the 18. Nick T returns to left tight end. Connor moves to left guard. Alex moves to fullback. Alex gains 3 on the wedge as the half expires.

25-0, Vols.

1st half numbers: 18 carries for 180 yards, three touchdowns.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #232
Poli
FOFC Survivor

They come out kicking onside and we're lucky to recover it. It bounces through Ray's legs to Ashanti. Ashanti tries to pick it up and run instead of falling on the ball. Fortunately, Nathaniel recovers it.

We try another sweep with Bryce. They're so entranced with the wedge that nearly the entire team gets sucked in. Bryce scores, untouched from 56 yards out.

Jacob, after having me tell him to kick it from directly behind the ball instead of the sidewinder approach, nearly makes it as it goes under the crossbar.

31-0, hello turbo clock.

Turbo clocks suck at this age. There's just not enough time on the clock for it. It sucks as I have to work hard now to make sure everyone gets their 6 plays in. Shoot, by my count, we maybe had 25 plays in the second half.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #233
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Jacob again ignores me. It bounces off a Raider and to Carlos. I take my hat off and shake my head, which is about as animated as you'll find me in any of our games. I'm very disappointed in Jacob at this point. He's really making me look like an ass at this point.

We pull out our 24/45 passes. Nick converts the first for a 14 yard gain, our first completed pass of the year. Nathaniel then runs the 45 and honestly should have just tucked it in and ran. Instead, he threads the needle to Ashanti, only to have it go off Ashanti's hands.

Carlos then runs 45 Power for 4. He gets the wind knocked out of him and JD comes in. After an offsides penalty, we find ourselves in a 3rd and 1. JD runs hard on another 45 Power, this time for 12 yards. Bryce takes it on a 24 Power for 12 yards and the score.

Jacob's kick this time is low and short again.

37-0, Vols.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #234
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I hear it from the other coach when Jacob kicks it onside once again. As I walk off the field with Jacob, I point out how mad the other coach is at me for what he's doing. I still don't think it's sunk in. Hunter will kick the next kickoff, that much I know for sure.

I call a time out when I can't find a player, turns out Alex was in the bathroom. Better to be safe than get a 15 yard penalty.

JD makes a tackle for no gain, a fumbled pitch loses 7. The Raiders finally break off a big run, which was a combination of David playing poorly at linebacker and my defensive end Nick taking a play off. Unbelievably, Layne makes the tackle 25 yards down the field coming from the farside. He saves the touchdown.

Layne's work is rewarded. A fumbled snap is easing pickings for JD. He recovers it.

We start the fourth quarter.

Connor carries for 2 on the wedge, his first carry in the half. JD carries on a Power for 31. He broke three tackles before finally being taken down.

With Noah taking over at quarterback, Alex at right guard, and Jacob at fullback, Carlos takes it on a 45 Power the final 34 yards for the score.

Hunter's kick attempt was definitely harder, although no more accurate than the others.

43-0, Vols.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #235
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hunter does at least get the ball deep, though it wasn't necessarily in the air. There may have been a 2 yard return before Layne clobbered the poor kid.

4 plays later by the Raiders and we take over with 30 seconds on the clock. With turbo clock in action, we don't even have to snap the ball.

2nd half numbers: 7 carries, 151 yards, three touchdowns.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #236
Poli
FOFC Survivor

On the day:

Bryce 5-67, 2 TD
Carlos 6-151, 3 TD
Connor 4-45, TD
JD 3-44
TEAM 7-24

Total 25-331, 6TD

Passing
Nathaniel 1 of 2, 14 yards

Nick C, 1 reception for the 14 yards.

What a game.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #237
BYU 14
Coordinator

It's poetry when the Double Wing is rolling, nice ball distribution between your backs and a stellar 13.2 yards per carry average
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #238
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Titans will give us everything we want and more this Saturday. They beat the lowly Seahawks, 50-0. That said, they're really not all that complicated. To be honest, I thought they used more plays in their game than we did, and I think that's a mistake.

They line up offensively with a Power I look, but it's a little different than the look I'm used to. I'm used to a Stacked I look with the middle back offset left or right. They use essentially two fullbacks beside each other.

Defensively, they're more of a 4-4 that reads the play. Their outside backers don't come up field hard. The inside guys look like they're just reading the play and going. Their front four is big, so are their inside backers. They'll be tough to beat off the ball, that's for sure.

A few things we're going to do offensively. We may start out with a Polecat play. Even then, it'll have a wrinkle. I can give instruction until the cadence begins. I'll have the boys run up to the line, tell Carlos (who will be quarterback for the play) A (run with it) or B (pass it to Nathaniel behind the line of blockers). He'll say ready, we snap it and go.

We'll also line up with our bag of tricks this week and with a trips look at times to spread the defense out when we wedge. They'll already be spread out. This will be designed to spread them out more.

Monty 24 Power, where our fullback is inbetween the guard and tackle, may work well.

Defensively, the corners will be back as linebackers again in an attempt to provide bodies to one side of the field or the other.

These guys are tough, but have played just one team that has a win all year. Their opponent's records at this time are 2-17.

I think we can take them, but it will take a great effort.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #239
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Practice this week was hardly worth mentioning. I think the big win didn't help the boys. We're likely to get beat, and beat badly, on Saturday.

Connor will be limited to defense in order to try and rest his rib/ribcage. JD will take his spot. The smaller boys I use at corners may not be ideal against the defense, either. Ashanti will take Jacob's spot at the 'corner'.

The smaller boys, Jacob, Noah, Nick T, will attempt to play as much special teams as possible. I may try and force them to dive in to the line as defensive tackles as well. Unless we're up or down big, that might be their only shot on the defense.

Defensively, I'm experimenting with having Layne as a second monster, giving us a four linebacker look. I steal him off the line and move Hunter from an A gap to a B gap. JD chooses his A gap and shoots through. It's a little dangerous but offers us a little more pursuit to the flow.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #240
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We lost, 19-0. It was 0-0 at the half. As big as Ray is, they had two or even three boys nearly his size if not equal.

It was tough, they played hard, but the 'quit' was in their eyes in that fourth quarter down 13-0.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Funny, I said the same thing yesterday after one of the 3:30pm games
Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #242
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Holy cow. I finally took the time to watch the video, and we had two very good chances to score. One our back dance around after getting the ball in the open field instead of running forward. That cost us possibly 15-20 yards...and I'm not kidding.

Late in the 2nd, we ran a sweep that got us to the 21. A horrible, absolute horrible holding penalty (no way the kid was held...the defender spun around as the back went past him...if he's held, he can't SPIN) sends us back to the 40 for a 1st and 20.

Good golly, I shouldn't have watched it!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #243
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Our practice on Tuesday was a little horrific. 13 boys there, with the four out all starters...on both sides of the ball. Practicing for the 5-1 White Hawks was almost entirely out of the question.

Ryan will miss this game for a vacation to Florida, and Alex is heading across the state today as well. That leaves me with Connor, who will move from fullback to guard this week. JD will start again at fullback.

The White Hawks are like the Blue Hawks. They do a few things well, and that's it. They line up with a double tight wishbone and do about 3 things. Dive lefs, offtackle left, and counter right...and they start each game with it too. So, we're going to blow that up.

They also line up with an empty set...sending the fullback left or right and splitting those wishbone backs to either side. The side with one player motions back to the backfield...where they do a lot of stuff. Simple stuff that should be easy for us, but stuff.

Pitch to motion back
Fake pitch, counter with other runningback
Pitch to motion, then pitch to other back on a reverse
Fake pitch, QB bootleg
Pitch to motion, back passes to the other back deep
Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #244
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Defensively, the White Hawks aren't that complicated. They don't play good pass defense, so we may try and test them once or twice on the outside edges.

They do something a little tricky. Their coach will point for an outside backer, one in particular on our left side to run up to the tight end and blitz, line up over the center in a 3 point and blitz, or stand there....with blitzing being the big deal.

The outside stuff I'm not overly concerned about, but the inside one has me concerned since I pull the guards quite a bit. It wouldn't be a big deal but they have players in that A gap already. They're overloading that middle and it could get ugly. We'll have something designed to stop that in particular.

Last edited by Poli : 10-16-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #245
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Check this out:

I got a call about 30 minutes ago from the Tigers coach. We both see the writing on the wall, numbers are down this year as far as players go. Next year the teams overall in the TCYFA will likely drop down some.

He wanted to gauge interest in me coaching with him next season. It's interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll do it. I might have to.

Not having a boy might put me outside looking in when dads that want to coach their sons start stepping up. I refuse to coach the 7/8s...they're just too small for me. With 9/10s likely to contract, I could feel the pinch. Working with the Tigers instead of against them might not be too bad of an idea.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #246
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Will you be able to step back into being an assistant at this level? This is a real question. For a couple years I think the answer for me would have been no, now, if I were working for the right person, I think the answer would be yes.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #247
Poli
FOFC Survivor

24-6 loss to the White Hawks...a game where the boys disappointed me on defense. All 24 points came in the first half as the boys over pursued and let the ball carrier outside them twice for scores. In their 'obvious' passing formation, they threw a 30 yard score as well when Carlos ran in on his own for a blitz.

Carlos is getting banged up and I think I need to lighten his load. With Connor likely to sit this game out, it makes things a little more interesting. I may use Nathaniel as a back this week and let his younger brother start at quarterback.

As far as being an assistant, it might be of some benefit to me. While I think I did a great job of picking these boys based on two days of evaluations, the parent/coaches knew a lot more about these boys than I did. As much as I hate to admit it, they have a slight advantage over me with that.

Allowing Scott of the Tigers to pick the team and handle the shenanigans would probably work out a lot more in my favor.

Not sure if I mentioned this as well, either, but I'm being tabbed as the defensive coordinator for our league's select team as well. The select team will be playing in a tournament or two...which in all honesty, to me, is insane. It's starting to get really flipping cold and you want to mesh a group of kids together to play? We might get maybe 4-5 practices before that first game? Crazy.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #248
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #249
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Front, left to right: JD, Connor, (token cheerleader that is Carlos's sister), Hunter, Nick C, Noah
Second, left to right: Nathaniel, Nick T, Jacob, Carlos, Bryce, Alex
Third, left to right: Ashanti, Layne, Ray, Ryan, Nolan, David
Last, left to right: Coaches Travis, Steve, Me, and Bryan
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #250
Senator

Look at that damn line!!! UP THE GUT!!!

I forget, do I owe you a playbook?

Last edited by Senator : 10-22-2008 at 04:30 PM.