Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #301
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Mission 9 - I scouted with no weapons? Not even a stun thingy? Ouch. Well, enjoy my carcass bitches!

Sing me up for the next one.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #302
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dang!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #303
hoopsguy
General Manager

So ... any news on the alien front?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #304
Tasan
College Starter

I should have some today. I had to take a break yesterday.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #305
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Np

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #306
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

You know, last time you took a break, we lost a lot of good men.

Aliens wait on no one.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #307
hoopsguy
General Manager

Agreed, Tasan has an awesome responsibility.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #308
Tasan
College Starter

I hate this forum software sometimes. The interlude between 10 and 11 will be up as soon as I can get it formatted to suit the freaking software.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #309
Tasan
College Starter

Frick.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #310
hoopsguy
General Manager

Long interlude?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #311
Tasan
College Starter

Interlude 11

As the Triton makes its long journey home, six new recruits report to Base Atlantic. The new recruits are:

Kodos III
Kwhit
Greyroofoo II
JeeberD II
Coffee Warlord II
Travis III

Not the best group ever, but not the worst either. They'll do. I have them stow their bags and report to the dock to receive MrBug708 II's ship and do the unload. They need to see firsthand what is required of an X-COM soldier, and I can't think of a better example than MrBug708 II and what he did today. The Triton arrives early that evening. The gear is unloaded, and I see off what little there is for about a million bucks. Every drop helps.

With almost 8 million in the bank, I order the construction of another base, this time in the northeast Pacific. We order a sub pen and living quarters first off. I want another operations base active by the end of the month. If we get back up to around 8 million again, I'll build another base, somewhere in the southern hemisphere this time.

In the early hours of the 4th, the 18 aquanauts for South China Sea arrive. The new base's roster:

Neon Chaos III
Icy II
JonInMiddleGA II
PilotMan
wahoomac
The Jackal II
RendeR II
ntndeacon III
fff III
Izulde
DataKing II
TonyR II
chesapeake II
path12 II
Barkeep49 III
Abe Sargent II
law90026 II
mrkilla22 II

Seven more engineers arrive at Atlantic as well, and I put them to work on the armor. Later in the day, the last of our new aquanauts arrive at Atlantic. The troops:

kingfc22 II
Caesar
SirFozzie II
illinifan999 III
PurdueBrad III
BYU 14 II
Qwikshot

Three more are currently being held up with paperwork problems. These seven give us a full Triton though, so we'll make do.

On the 6th, our second Triton arrives. This one will fly out of South China Sea, making this base operations ready. First mission assignments are handed out and the ship is loaded for combat.

Two days later, our scientists report that they've figured out the alien stun weapon. They are calling it a Thermal Shok Launcher, and say it should be very effective at taking down the aliens alive for in-depth study. Tell me something I don't know. Those things took down almost half my squad on one mission. I order them to research the rounds that go in the thing next. After that, we'll start trying to figure out how they get in our heads.

On the 11th, the scientists crack the secret of the Shok bombs. We can now use them during battle. Unfortunately, they have no idea where to start on our mind control problem. I tell them to think about it some and work on the bigger alien weapon for now. The new storage room and, more importantly, the labs, are finished at South China Sea. I request 32 scientists so we can get to work on more alien artifacts. I order construction of an alien containment center for that base as well, since we don't want to lose any lives ones we get from their missions.

Later in the day, the sonar rooms comes alive with action. A small contact has appeared on the scope. A Barracuda is dispatched from Atlantic to intercept. Unfortunately, we lose tracking on it around the Arctic cap and the 'Cuda returns home unfulfilled.

On the 14th, a small alien vessel is located on the sea floor just south of Base South China Sea. Triton 2 is dispatched to investigate. Much to our dismay, the alien sub starts to move again, and before we can send Barracudas to intercept it is lost from the scopes. The Triton is recalled.

Later that day, the new scientists arrive at South China Sea. Among them is our new head scientist, hoopsguy II. I order him to get his team working on the alien fuel source, Zrbite.

New living quarters are completed at Atlantic on the 17th. I request 11 more engineers and 6 more troops. I also sign off on another storage facility. We have alien doodads and bits stuffed in to every desk drawer we can find right now.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #312
Tasan
College Starter

Sorry about the lack of stats with your new troops there. I was trying something to get around the spreadsheet bug, and it all blew up on me. I didn't want to go through all the time to set them up at this point. Take a look at the spreadsheet here to see all the stats!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #313
Tasan
College Starter

The 19th sees the living quarters in North Pacific completed. I commission two general stores. After those, we'll add sonar and another sub pen. We should be good to go there then.

On the 24th, the sonar rooms calls to tell me there's a small contact in the Arctic Sea. I order the Barracuda 1 to intercept, and get the Triton 1 ready for action. Chief Rum II, who recently had his cast removed, begs on. The good news is we have armor for everyone on the ship.

The 'Cuda meets the alien sub, and the battle is on. The alien vessel dodges two torpedoes and hits our ship with shots of its own. In cannon range, the Barracuda unloads on the aliens and sends them to the bottom. The Triton 1 pulls out of the dock at full speed, heading for the crash site.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-12-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #314
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Roar.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #315
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Chief Rum II, who recently had his cast removed, begs on.

Awesome. I'm ready for a fight. I have stripes I didn't have before, and now I have to earn them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #316
Tasan
College Starter

Mission 11
March 18, 2040

Triton 1 finds the crash site and sets down near it, close to the southwest corner of the grid. On board:

kingfc22 II – Shok Launcher
Kodos III
Kwhit
Caesar – Shok Launcher
SirFozzie II
illinifan999 III
BYU 14 II
PurdueBrad III
Chief Rum II
JeeberD II
MrBug708 II
Qwikshot
Travis III
Coffee Warlord II

kingfc22 is first off the boat. He steps out to see an undersea mining operation. It looks deserted, but there will be pods to search. Kodos III follows him out and heads down the side of the ship to the nose, where he looks over the side. He spots a pod that will need to be searched.

Next is Caesar, who heads towards the tail. Kwhit, SirFozzie II, and PurdueBrad III follow him and spread out.

Kodos III spots a Gill Man trying to exit the pod in front of him. He fires and kills it in the doorway.

The rest of the squad moves out of Triton 1. They pair up and move out to search the area. Travis III and PurdueBrad III move north. Travis III spots an Gill Man exit a pod and fires, but misses badly. The Gill Man returns fire and has as much luck as Travis III, missing very high. PurdueBrad III steps up as Travis III takes cover and fires a shot. He hits nothing but sand, and decides cover is a good option. JeeberD moves up and fires, hitting the green alien. It flinches, but still stands. Caesar turns and fires with his stun launcher, and scores a hit. The alien collapses on the ground, knocked cold.

Troops search undersea mining pods.

Kodos III moves to enter the pod where he killed a Gill Man. As he reaches for the door it opens and another Gill Man is there. He instinctively fires and hits the alien, killing it.

SirFozzie II spots motion in the distance and fires. A Gill Man dives out of the way and retreats into the shadows. He gives chase and gets another shot off, but it goes wide. Chief Rum II joins him and fires as well, but hits a light pole and it explodes in a shower of sparks. The alien returns fire twice but is also a bad shot, missing with both. SirFozzie II gets another shot off and hits pay dirt this time, dropping the alien to the sand.

JeeberD II advances and spots the alien sub. He has a good view on the door and takes up watch. Caesar moves up to support him. As he does, a Gill Man moves through the doorway. Caesar fires and the Shok bomb explodes inside the ship, knocking out the alien.

The troops continue their search, but turn up nothing else. Two live aliens were captured, and 3 more where killed. In addition, 3 more bodies were found inside the ship. Six dead aliens, and not a scratch on an X-COM unit. Not much was recovered from the downed alien ship, but with no casualties on our side, this mission is a resounding success.

After the mission, there are several promotions. Kodos III, Caesar, Kwhit, SirFozzie II, illinifan999 III, JeeberD II, and Travis III are all promoted to Ensign. MrBug708 II is made Captain, and RealDeal II is promoted to Commander while sitting on his butt, recovering from a hole in his arm.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #317
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Nice easy mission! Thanks for adding me back Tasan, really enjoying this dynasty.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #318
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oye, sorry with the bad luck on my third copies stats, but hopefully he's got a few hidden stat gems to make him useful to you.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #319
Tasan
College Starter

Interlude 12

As Triton 1 docks, hoopsguy II runs up to me excitedly. In his hands it the report on Zrbite, the alien power source. Apparently, this stuff is in a lot of things, including the main ingredient in the alien torpedoes, which are being called Disruptors by hoopsguy II's people. I tell him to start work on researching these things. They seem pretty powerful by his report.

I'm a little worried by a recent development. Lately we haven't been recovering any Sonic Rifles, its either been the heavy version or the pistol sized version of the weapon. This has left us short on ammo for them. Because of this, I have to pull 20 engineers off of armor construction to make spare clips for us and the other bases.

Of the new items recovered, we sell the unneeded stuff for about a million dollars. Drip drip drip.

We don't have to wait long for another mission. My phone rings and the Prime Minister of Australia is on the other end. He says that aliens have been spotted at a port on the north coast of the country. While this seems to be an ideal misison for South China Sea, we don't have the armor for everyone at that base. I order Triton 1 to go instead. It only has 12 troops aboard due to the ammo shortage, but 12 armored troops sounds better to me than 14 with only 3 sets of armor.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #320
Tasan
College Starter

Mission 12
March 25, 2040

Triton 1 sets down in an asphalt lot just before dawn. The air is cool and the sky still dark. On the ship are the following troops:

kingfc22 II – Shok Launcher
Caesar – Shok Launcher
SirFozzie II
Kwhit
illinifan999 III
PurdueBrad III
Chief Rum II
BYU 14 II
JeeberD II
Roberto
Coffee Warlord II
Qwikshot

kingfc22 II is first off again. He heads down the ship towards the nose. Caesar is next, and he heads down an alley. SirFozzie II follows him down the alley. Kwhit exits and turns towards the tail of the ship. illinifan999 III comes out, and can't believe what he sees. Everyone else somehow missed an Gill Man not 50 feet from the ship. He quickly fires, but misses and hits a barrel next to the alien. It explodes, and the alien turns to find where the shot came from.

PurdueBrad III exits and takes a shot at the alien. He hits a fence instead, and the alien fires back. Two shots hit PurdueBrad III, but the armor does its job. Chief Rum II shoves him out of the way and fires at the alien, hitting and killing it. BYU 14 II races out to administer first aid to PurdueBrad III. His leg is badly injured, but the Heal All takes effect and stops the bleeding.

The big problem now is how clustered we are. “Nobody else out until we can fan out some. We don't need another Boston!” orders Chief Rum II.

kingfc22 II rounds the nose of the ship and spots two Gill Men, both climbing a tower. He only has one shot, and fires at the higher one with the larger weapon. He misses though, and decides to turn for cover. As he does, he spots another Gill Man through a window in a building right next to the landing site. He signals illinifan999 III who races over and fires through the window. The shot hits it's target, and the alien falls to the ground dead.

At the tail of the ship, Kwhit turns and spots another Gill Man near a storage building. He aims and pulls the trigger, killing the green beast.

PurdueBrad III's wounds are patched, so he heads over to help out kingfc22 II. He spots both aliens, and fires at the upper most one as well. He hits it, and it tumbles off the tower dead. The lower alien fires three times at kingfc22 II, who is trying to reload his launcher. The final shot hits him in the back, and he falls to the ground unconscious. Before BYU 14 II can reach him, he breathes his last. PurdueBrad III, in a fit of rage, returns fire and scores a direct hit. The alien is dead.

BYU 14 II spots movement in an office building. As he moves to get a better view, he spots a Deep One in another part of the same building.

BYU 14 II takes aim and fires, dropping the creature where it stood. It bellows a death roar. Chief Rum II moves to help with the office building. He also gives the order for the remaining 4 troops in Triton 1 to move out.

PurdueBrad III moves out southward down a street. Down the street he spots another Gill Man and fires. He misses and hits the ground. Roberto steps up and fires on the alien, hitting it in the chest with a fatal blow.

Kwhit moves towards a guard shack at the back of the port. Through a window, he spots a Gill Man and takes a shot. It hits the alien in the face, exploding its head and taking its life.

A grenade comes flying at Roberto. It explodes at his feet, taking him and PurdueBrad III out. Coffee Warlord II is hit by the blast and knocked out. illinifan999 III turns and races to them to see who is alive. PurdueBrad III is dead. illinifan999 III grabs his medikit and goes over to Coffee Warlord II. He's got a bad head wound, and the Heal All stops the bleeding. Qwikshot moves over to provide cover. JeeberD starts over towards them, but spots a Deep One on top of that same tower from earlier. He fires on it but misses. Kwhit hears the firing and turns around. He sees the Deep One as well, and snaps off a shot. He misses and blows a wall out of the tower.

Over at the office building, BYU 14 II spots the alien from earlier. He fires and kills it. Chief Rum II moves up through a fence, closer to the building.

Back near Triton 1, Coffee Warlord gets up, in pain but able to move. He picks up his weapon and starts to move back out. He sees the Deep One on the tower and fires, but his shot is too unsteady and he misses wildly. JeeberD II steadies himself and takes another shot at it, and this time hits the spitter, killing it.

Sonic fire flies at Qwikshot from an unknown location. He tosses a chem flare in the direction it came from, but he still can't see anything. illinifan999 III moves up to try and spot it, but sees nothing as well.

At the office, Chief Rum II and BYU 14 II storm in through the back door. Nothing is inside though, and the take positions to check the other rooms, then go upstairs.

On the other side of the port, Qwikshot comes under fire again, this time from a different direction. This shot is more accurate though, and hits him in a weak spot in his armor. The collapses to the ground dead from his wounds. Neither illinifan999 III or Coffee Warlord II can spot the attacker.

SirFozzie II moves forward on the other side of a small building, and spots the alien he thinks threw the grenade. He takes aim and fires, dropping the alien cold.

Coffee Warlord II can't find a door for the warehouse he comes up to, so he blasts a hole in the side of it and steps through. He sees a door and opens it, to find an alien hiding in the corner of the room. This is probably the alien that killed Qwikshot. He takes a snap shot at it and scores a hit, killing the Gill Man. Kwhit moves up behind him and covers his flank. He feels something hit the back of the armor and spins around. A Deep One is spitting on him! He returns the favor with his rifle and kills the creature.

CW, get over here, I need some help!” he yells. Coffee Warlord II comes over and takes Kwhit's medikit. The acid spit has eaten through the armor and started on Kwhit's skin. Coffee Warlord patches him up with some Heal All. The acid is neutralized.

SirFozzie II continues his sweep, moving near the base of a tower. He spots a Deep One on the other side of it and fires. His shot slams into a post on the tower, missing his target. JeeberD II moves around the to the other side and sees the alien. He takes a shot and hits, killing it.

illinifan999 III circles around a small metal building. He pulls the door open and sees a Deep One inside. He freezes for a moment but pulls himself together enough to fire. The shot hits the alien, killing it.
Further sweep of the port finds no more living aliens. Ten civilians are found alive, along with the bodies of five more. Fifteen aliens were killed in the fight, while four X-COM aquanauts lost their lives. For the inexperience level of the group, we did a good job. For most of these guys, this was their second mission.

Promotions come after the mission. Kwhit and SirFozzie II are both promoted to Lieutenant, while BYU 14 II and Coffee Warlord II are made Ensigns. Kwhit and Coffee Warlord II are both wounded though, and will take several days to heal.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #321
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Whoo, I'm an officer. Drinks at the O-Club and a heavy dose of painkillers!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #322
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awesome stuff!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #323
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

2 kills, a heal, AND I didn't die!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #324
hoopsguy
General Manager

All in all, really good work on that mission. Especially since you were able to give MrBug II a breather.

PurdueBrad is turning into the Blade6119 of this dynasty
Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #325
Tasan
College Starter

Yeah, its pretty unfortunate that he's gonna be my first #4. He even had kills. I just can't seem to keep him alive for more than a mission.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #326
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
“CW, get over here, I need some help!” he yells. Coffee Warlord II comes over and takes Kwhit's medikit. The acid spit has eaten through the armor and started on Kwhit's skin. Coffee Warlord patches him up with some Heal All. The acid is neutralized.

Thanks CW!

Wow, three kills and I'm a Lieutenant now. Booyah.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #327
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
All in all, really good work on that mission. Especially since you were able to give MrBug II a breather.

PurdueBrad is turning into the Blade6119 of this dynasty

Wow, a couple kills but I'm good for catching bullets!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #328
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
illinifan999 III grabs his medikit and goes over to Coffee Warlord II. He's got a bad head wound, and the Heal All stops the bleeding.

By the way, if anyone found the missing pieces of my scalp on the battlefield, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #329
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Wow, a couple kills but I'm good for catching bullets!

There always seems to be a demand for bullet catchers! Glad you volunteered.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #330
kingfc22
Head Coach

Man. I thought Kng the second would have done well looking at his stats.

Signup Kingfc22 III
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #331
BYU 14
Coordinator

Nice, now I can make holes and patch them up.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #332
gkb
High School Varsity

I'd like to volunteer for duty please...if you've still got room.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #333
Tasan
College Starter

Plenty of room! You're on the list.

For those of you who don't stop by the first page often, I've put up the complete roster. It doesn't have your ratings, just rank, kills, and missions, but ratings can be found on the google docs file shared out at the bottom of the first post. Enjoy!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #334
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Trying again then with Qwikshot II
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #335
The Jackal
Coordinator

My clone is ready to massacre.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #336
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Not to nitpick but AbeSargent the First did get one kill in Mission 7. I wasn;t worthless or anything....

Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #337
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Not to nitpick but AbeSargent the First did get one kill in Mission 7. I wasn;t worthless or anything....

Well, to be perfectly honest, sometimes I miss who had the reaction shot during alien movement. It's pretty hard to tell sometimes when I have a bunch of you close together. The kill total I have up there is from in-game, and you didn't die that mission (so I got the total post-mission), so the shot must have come from someone else. Sorry.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #338
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay, thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #339
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So......I was worthless... ouch!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #340
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
So......I was worthless... ouch!

Yeah, pretty much

Here's to you being a lot more involved here soon. I'm hoping to get something going out of the new base, where you're currently stationed.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #341
JeeberD
General Manager

One mission and Jeeber Part 2 has as many kills as his predecessor. Nice...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #342
Tasan
College Starter

We'll be on a break starting today thru the weekend. I'm gonna be unavailable. Sorry about that guys.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #343
MrBug708
Head Coach

Great read so far, but I'm biased I dont think I've had an X-Com character do so well before!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #344
MrBug708
Head Coach

I say we ship CR2 out to the South China Sea to head up that division
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #345
Tasan
College Starter

Hi folks. Sorry for the break, but I was out of town spending some quality time with nieces and nephews, something I don't get much of. I actually didn't even pull out my laptop til the ride home, and that's probably something I haven't said since buying my first laptop almost 10 years ago.

So anyway, the fight will continue today! X-COM aquanauts, prepare for battle!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #346
Tasan
College Starter

Interlude 13

Triton 1's flight home is long but uneventful. The plan, once the ship arrives, is to begin looking at spreading our experience and rank around. Even though most guys at Atlantic haven't been around long, they've gotten one thing everyone at South China Sea hasn't, and that's real missions.

As Triton 1 is pulling into it's bay, I'm informed that the new sub pen at South China Sea is ready. I OK the lease of another 'Cuda and equipment for it. I also order two more storage faciilities built at the base, because its becoming an issue once again. I also put in for 18 more scientists there to fill out the lab.

The unload of Triton 1 is quick, as these kinds of missions don't usually bring many spoils. What we sell, though, has great value and the haul brings in almost a million dollars. This is enough to cover the new 'Cuda and its weapons, plus the new buildings.

With advice from our Captain, MrBug708 II, I put together a transfer list. Transferred from Atlantic to South China Sea are:

Kodos III
Chief Rum II
illinifan999 III

From South China Sea to Atlantic are:

Neon Chaos III
ntndeacon III
Izulde
path12 II
Abe Sargent II

The men pack their bags and say their goodbyes. Even for a group with so little time together, the battles have brought them close quickly, and this is no easy thing to do.

The next morning sees our general storage at Atlantic finish, but more importantly our second lab at South China Sea is done. I requisition 25 more scientists. This only half fills the space, but we're a little tight on the budget until the end of the month.

Five more new recruits show up on the 28th. The list:

gkb
Base: Atlantic
Missions: 0
Kills: 0

Roberto II

kingfc22 III

PurdueBrad IV
Base: South China Sea

Qwikshot II
Base: South China Sea

The last two on the list are immediately rerouted to South China Sea. The transfers have left them a little thin. There are four more recruits awaiting paperwork problems, two for each base.

The sub pen at the new North Pacific base is also ready. I don't think we're quite ready to run ops from there, though, so I hold off on ordering Triton 3 and any more troopers. The next morning sees the storage units at North Pacific also ready. I order a sonar unit for the base, and when that's ready we'll start operations there. Our alien containment facility is also ready at South China Sea, making us fully functional there.

Later on the 29th, our 37 scientists for South China Sea arrive. We put them to work with their fellow eggheads on the current project at that base, the large alien torpedo unit. Hopefully we'll be able to bring this thing along on missions soon.

The end of the month arrives and I make my monthly trek to UN Headquarters. The report is again excellent, and our funding increases by almost ¾ of a million dollars. Unfortunately, with all the expansion we've been doing, our operating budget puts us in the red. We need some missons to get things back in the black.

As I make my way back to Atlantic on the 1st, the sonar guys at Atlantic radio me that they have a contact near France. I order the Barracuda 1 to intercept. It finally catches up just north of Columbia in the south Carribean Sea. After an intense fight, the 'Cuda is heavily damaged and hasn't taken down the aliens. I order Barracuda 2 to pursue and 1 to return to base. As it moves to intercept, the alien sub sets down on the bottom off the coast of Cuba. I order Triton 1 out to investigate.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #347
Tasan
College Starter

Mission 13
April 1, 2040

Triton 1 sets down close to the north east corner of the battle grid. The rookies are all anxious, and some of them for good reason. The roster:

Caesar
SirFozzie II
Greyroofoo II
BYU 14 II
JeeberD II
Roberto II
kingfc22 III
MrBug708 II
gkb
RealDeal II
Travis III
ntndeacon III
Izulde
path12 II

The reason for the anxiety? Not everyone got an armor suit. Production is currently behind, so Travis III, gkb, and ntndeacon III are without extra protection. BYU 14 II and Roberto II are both carrying Thermal Shok Launchers, and everyone else has the now-standard Sonic Rifle.

Caesar is first out through the door. He heads to the nose of the Triton and looks west. Everything seems clear so far. Greyroofoo II was next to him in the ship, and heads out towards the tail. He clears the north east corner and also turns west, looking out over the tail towards nothing in particular. SirFozzie II moves out towards the south, running along the eastern edge. Izulde, path12 II, and JeeberD II exit the ship, but SirFozzie II instructs the rest to wait and let the first group spread out.

Movement. Out to the west, Greyroofoo II spots something. “We've got something new out here. Looks like a lobster almost, but man-sized and walking upright carrying a sonic weapon. Watch out guys.”

More movement, and Greyroofoo II is able to get a shot off. It sails wide of the target though. He takes aim again, but can't hit the target. Izulde moves up and kneels, taking a quick shot. He finds the target, but the creature barely flinches with the hit. This is not a good sign. The alien moves out of sight.

Caesar moves up a small rise and spots the alien that Izulde and Greyroofoo II have been firing at. He can't get a good shot on it though. The rest of the team moves through the battle grid, cautiously keeping an eye out for more of these things.

Greyroofoo II advances to try and locate the alien again. As he does, he spots the original one plus another over by a gas pipeline. He takes aim on the pipeline, hoping the resulting explosion can knock the aliens down. He again can't hit what he's aiming for. Izulde steps up to back his buddy again, and nails the pipe. It violently explodes, but the shockwave isn't enough to knock either alien down. A similar blast on a previous mission killed Aquatoids.

BYU 14 II moves into a position where he can throw a Pulser. He tosses it and the device lands right next to the closest alien and goes off. When the bubbles clear, the alien is still standing.

From out of the distance, a Pulser comes sailing in towards Greyroofoo II and Izulde. Fortunately for them, it lands on the other side of a small hill and explodes harmlessly.

Caesar tries to move up to see the aliens, but a shot comes out of the swirling mess around where they stood and hits him. His armor holds though, for the moment.

I need some help here, I'm hit and need some medical attention!” cries Caesar.

I'm coming Caesar!” replies SirFozzie, who grabs his medikit from his belt and moves towards his wounded comrade.

The alien who threw the grenade shows himself, but Greyroofoo II is too slow to react. It fires at him and hits his faceplate. The armor doesn't hold, collapsing the weight of several hundred feet of water onto Greyroofoo II's face. Izulde moves to find the alien. He spots it and fires, scoring a direct hit. The alien doesn't go down though. RealDeal II comes over a rise to the south of Izulde and can see the alien. He fires as well, also scoring a hit. The thing still doesn't fall. ntndeacon III tried to lend fire support, but his shot can't find the mark.

BYU 14 II decides to try a grenade again, and takes out his last Pulser. He lobs a perfect toss at the feet of the alien. It explodes and does little more than remove coral from the area. The alien returns fire twice, but misses Izulde and RealDeal II with both shots.

SirFozzie II makes it over to Caesar. Caesar's free hand is holding his chest. SirFozzie II hooks up the medikit and administers three shots of Heal All and a Pain Away. Relief spreads across Caesar's face and he takes a knee. MrBug708 II moves over to cover them.

Back with Izulde, he gathers himself back up, takes aim on the alien once again, and scores another hit. This time, the creature roars and falls to the ground, presumably dead. Three direct hits with a Sonic Rifle and a Pulser blast is all it took.

Another alien comes out of the haze near where the lone dead one lays and fires on Izulde. His armor holds with barely a scratch. He moves up and fires on the lobster-thing and gets another hit, but no kill. Roberto II steps up with his Shok launcher and nails the beast, knocking it stunned to the ocean floor.

From a high peak in the center of the grid, RealDeal II spots the alien ship in the distance to the west. With the position of the doors, it looks to be one of the really small-small ships. He keeps his sights on the doors.

The team continues its methodical sweep. path12 II moves in towards the door and spots one of the aliens about to go in. He fires but only hits the door behind the alien. Izulde moves up and spies it. He fires but also misses. ntndeacon III, now on top of the same peak RealDeal II was on earlier, fires at the alien with similar results. SirFozzie II makes it up path12 II's right flank and fires on the creature. He hits it square and it roars as it falls. It stops moving on the ground, lifeless.

Things get quiet as the team prepares to assault the ship. Caesar takes an overwatch position on the side of a tall sea hill. path12 moves closer to the door to get ready to storm it. As he does, a shot comes from the far corner of the ship. It hits him at his ribs and finds a weak spot in his armor, killing him instantly. Izulde moves up to find his attacker. He spots the alien through the murky waters.

The murky waters help shield the aliens from the Aquanauts' view.

Izulde takes aim and shoots. The blast hits the alien midsection, but it just spins a returns fire. It's shot flies over Izulde and other troops behind him. He takes cover behind come coral. RealDeal II steps up and gets a line on the giant lobster. His shot is true, but the alien still stands. Roberto II moves forward and fires his Shok launcher, but misses well right and the bomb explodes well to the rear of the alien. Travis III tries a shot and misses horribly.

MrBug708 II senses this thing getting out of hand. He comes around the large hill in the middle and takes a quick shot at the bug. He also hits, but the thing doesn't go down. Caesar, from his overwatch position, tries a desperate, long shot but scores a hit, and the creature falls to the ground. It twitches there, though, and isn't dead.

Everyone takes a big breath. The team continues to move up to the door of the ship, expecting an alien inside. However, as the team gets in place, Izulde spots another alien outside, to the rear of the ship. Once again he fires on an alien and scores a hit only to not see it drop. The alien pulls out a Pulser and throws it his way. It doesn't land near him, but close enough to the gas pipes to cause them to explode again. The blast takes Travis III's head clean off. Izulde is unhurt, as is RealDeal II, who was right next to the pipe when it went.

Izulde tries to locate the alien, but can't see much through all the silt, mud and sand kicked into the water. SirFozzie II moves up to the ship door to keep an eye on it. Roberto II thinks he can get a Shok bomb over near where the alien stood, and fires. It hits a rock right next to where the creature once stood. Nobody can see anything fall though.

Izulde pushes his way through the muck and spots the alien, cowering next to some coral. He fires and hits it. It falls to the ground, knocked cold and bleeding.

SirFozzie II and MrBug708 II storm the ship, but find no more aliens. The mission is over. Poor armor has directly led to two more deaths. Another death was just plain bad luck. Three dead against these powerful new foes seems light though. They seem to be the strongest things yet. All told, we killed three and recovered two still alive. The entire ship was in good shape even after having tangled with a Barracuda.

For his excellent work on the mission, Izulde is promoted to Ensign.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #348
Travis
Pro Rookie

Now I know it sounds like the head might be salvageable, but given the poor performance of Travis III, might be best just to start from scratch with version IV
Old 08-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #349
kingfc22
Head Coach

KingIII was still polishing his weapon when the Triton landed apparently.

Or maybe he heard about how his grandfather and father performed before him...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #350
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
KingIII was still polishing his weapon when the Triton landed apparently.

Or maybe he heard about how his grandfather and father performed before him...

Yeah, he led the boring "lets go check the edge of the grid" charge, I should have at least mentioned that. Often boring, but sometimes it leads to a surprise kill. I'll try to get you with the main group next time.