Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #101
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Non-conference 2017-18

Despite its “Superior” talent rating, Alabama has a hard time building momentum during November and December.

The Tide downs #11 Oklahoma in the ACT opener 79-74 but then falls to #6 Texas 75-68. Victory then makes another trip to College of Charleston to play his old team (he likes to schedule them whenever possible). But for the first time, the Tide can’t beat the Cougars. Alabama falls 68-63 in overtime. That’s not a good sign. Charleston’s CRI is in the low 200s.

After expected wins over St. Peters and Marshall, Victory’s crew drops a close one at #19 Michigan State 72-67. There are four more “expected” wins – over Belmont, Delaware State, South Carolina State and George Washington – but then Santa Clara knocks off the Tide in OT. And guess what, PG Michael Slater suffers an injury during this stretch; he’ll be out for two months (so much for the excellent trainer)...

Alabama loses yet another game to a ranked opponent, #18 Georgia Tech, by a 78-67 score but then picks up two nice triumphs to end the non-conference schedule – 80-57 at Northern Arizona and 91-77 over a decent Virginia Tech squad.

Not much superior about a 9-5 record when you’re hunting NCT titles. And to make matters worse PG Michael Slater and PF Travis Henry announce their intentions to enter the NBA draft after this season. Slater’s not much of a loss considering he’s missed more games than he’s played. But Henry’s departure – he’s started nearly every game since he’s been at Alabama – will hurt… Victory now has the fun job of jumping into the recruiting process midstream. He’s made some contacts early in the process but those folks have already signed with other programs thinking ‘Bama had nothing to offer…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #102
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – SEC season 2018

Alabama rides the NCT bubble hard during conference play. After drilling Ole Miss in the opener 95-69, the Crimson Tide loses to LSU 88-79. After knocking off #1 Mississippi State for the third year in a row – they were 13-0 at the time – ‘Bama then loses to Arkansas in overtime. And so the topsy-turvy season goes.

Small forward Traves Pearce is lost for two months when he pulls his bicep in a win over Vanderbilt. But that doesn’t stop Alabama from reeling off four straight wins afterward. This might be the most impressive stretch of the season. The Tide beats Georgia 77-62, stuns #3 Florida in Gator Country 78-55, overruns Auburn 106-59 and sprints past Ole Miss in the rematch 108-74. Six players hit doubles figures against Ole Miss. Alabama outscores Florida 44-22 in the second half of that one… Yee-haw!

But ‘Bama can’t sustain it. Just when the pollsters were ready to put the Tuscaloosa team back into the rankings, they lose three straight. Arkansas beats them in OT again, and Tennessee and Mississippi State win by 3 and 4 points, respectively. (Sidebar – Alabama knocking off MSU from the ranks of the unbeaten earlier in the year sent the Bulldogs into a tailspin. They lost 4 of their next 6 SEC games and at one point were 3-5 in league).

The roller coaster begins an upward climb again with a trip to Auburn. ‘Bama crushes its in-state rival 90-68, then drills South Carolina 90-56. Despite a loss to LSU, which has climbed to #10 in the country, ‘Bama finishes strong with a 76-75 triumph over #20 Kentucky.

Alex Henry and Travis McQuay make for a mean combo at SF and PF. They both finish the regular season averaging better than 15 ppg. Marco Bartow, given his chance at guard with Slater’s injury, adds 10 ppg and even 3 rpg. Darrell Wynn is a monster underneath, grabbing more than 10 rebounds each night on average and scoring 9 ppg. Slater does return late in the SEC season and bumps his average up to 10 ppg and 6.5 apg.

“So here we are again,” Victory muses. A 19-11 overall record. A 10-6 finish in the SEC. A third-place position in the standings behind LSU (15-1) and Arkansas (11-5). More must-win situations in the SEC tournament in order to make the NCT.

“If we can just get into the NCT, I believe we can play with anybody in the country,” Victory says, repeating a refrain he’s used several times in recent years.

Of course, that’s a big if. The NCT selection committee overlooked an Alabama team with a similar record a few years ago… They’ve just got to win...
Old 01-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #103
aztarheel
High School JV

Tuscaloosa News March 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

“I'd like to be the first coach to hang an NCT championship banner in Coleman Coliseum,” he says boldly. “And I'd like to do it within the decade (actually within nine seasons if you're keeping score on his 15-year quest).”

One guess for who said that infamous line. You guessed it. Steve “When will I get my first big” Victory. Now, as all of ya’ll know, I would never try to stir things up, especially when it comes to Alabama athletics, but I believe that if the Tide doesn’t win the SEC tournament then it is time to make a change. We have given Mr. Victory more than enough time to take us to the promised land.

Sorry for such a short update today but I have to get the tourney to see if Victory and guide those boys to a SEC title. I’ll be here all week. Let’s see if Victory will as well.

Steve Victory JOURNAL – SEC Tournament 2018

Alabama, feeling the mounting pressure for their coach, answers the Sheriff's call.

The Tide shows the midseason form it used to dust off #1 Mississippi State, #3 Florida and others, and cruises to its first SEC tournament championship in many, many years. No more worries for Mr. Victory about the NCT. His team is getting an automatic berth this time around!!! Maybe a Jim Valvano-like tale is about to be written at Alabama. Maybe an 11th hour happy ending to Victory’s 15-year quest to win a national title will transpire over the next few weeks. He just might do it!!!

Here’s the breakdown from the SEC tournament. ‘Bama was definitely on a mission:

• Alabama 87, Kentucky 74: Five Crimson Tide players reach double figures as the ‘Bama knocks off the #5 seed. Travis McQuay records a nice double-double – 19 points and 12 rebounds. He and Darrell Wynn block four shots each. Wynn pulls down 11 boards.

• Alabama 84, LSU 74: The Tide avenges two regular-season loses to the Tigers, now ranked #7 in the nation. ‘Bama leads 39-28 at half and never looks back (more to play for?). McQuay scores 23 as five players again reach double figures. Slater has the double-double this time with 15 points and 11 assists.

• Alabama 87, Tennessee 76: This is a strange championship-day match-up – the number four seed (‘Bama) against the number six seed. The Tide races to an 8-point lead at half and holds off the pesky Vols. McQuay, who is named MVP of the tournament, scores 15. Five players yet again reach double figures – Henry 18, Slater 13, Mark Bell 15 and Marco Bartow 13. Nice!!

Victory leaves the Georgia Dome and heads back to his Atlanta hotel more confident than he’s ever been as a head coach. His wears a “bring-it-on” demeanor to everyone he meets. He tells Greg Gumbel during the lead-up to CBS’ Selection Sunday show that he fully believes Alabama can win a national championship this year.

“Why not us? We’ve already knocked off three top-10 teams this season.”

Victory even remains undaunted when the NCT brackets are released. For some reason, the selection committee seeds the SEC champs #9 in the West!! What??!?!? That means a grueling first-round game, then a probable meeting with the current number-one team in the land, the Utah Utes, in the round of 32.

“Bring it on,” Victory maintains. “We’re ready for anything. Bring it on…”

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-21-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #104
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Tournament 2018!!

Coach Steve Victory rereads a well-worn copy of “Cardiac Pack” by Jim Valvano on the eve of Alabama’s NCT opener against #8 Villanova. He treasures the stories of how the underdog Wolfpack of N.C. State barely even made the Big Dance in 1983. They upset Ralph Sampson and the Virginia Cavaliers in the ACC tournament finale and then went on to shock the world by taking down Houston’s Phi Slamma Jamma in the championship. It still ranks as one of the greatest college hoops storylines of all times.

Maybe this year Victory will add his name to the lore.

Villanova proves a tough first-round match-up but ninth-seeded Alabama takes care of business 81-75. Traves McQuay continues his hot play (glad he’s coming back for his senior season!!) and scores 17. Michael Slater adds 16. As expected, Utah churns out a big first-round win, so Alabama must take down number one to reach the Sweet 16…
Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #105
aztarheel
High School JV

posted by yanksare

Tuscaloosa News March 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

First off, congratulations to Steve Victory and his SEC tournament chamions. More imporantly, it seems I stirred up some questions with my last column. I have phone calls and emails from my millions and millions of fans regarding the following Victory quote.

"I'd like to be the first coach to hang an NCT championship banner in Coleman Coliseum,” he says boldly. “And I'd like to do it within the decade (actually within nine seasons if youåre keeping score on his 15-year quest).”

All of the questions revolve around this so called 15-year quest. Now fans, as you know, I do not like to sensationalize anything, but this story will register on the ricter scale. In my next column, I will provide hard evidence that once and for all proves without a shadow of a doubt, that it is time for Steve Victory to go.

Stay tuned for the next Sheriff’s Roundup my loyal readers. You will learn the answers to these questions. Who is Pam L.? What happened in the Grand Canyon in the summer of 2011 and why a dirty 14 year old napkin is the key to this puzzle?

And that is the bottom line, because the Sheriff says so.

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-22-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #106
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Tournament 2018 - Round of 32

Like that menacing Houston team of 1983, the 2018 Utah Utes are downright scary. They come into the second-round NCT game carrying a 34-2 record. They’re ranked first in the nation in both polls. They have the most prolific scoring offense in the country. Consider some of these finals:

Howard 116-42
VMI 122-50
Pacific 115-71
Rhode Island 103-50
BYU 111-90
Winthrop 120-60

Yikes! All told Utah scores 90 points or more 14 times during the season. “Well, we surely aren’t going to fare too well trying to outrun them,” Victory says.

The coach looks at the games Utah lost for clues on how to beat them. Colorado State (CRI 147) did it midway through Mountain West play. UNLV (CRI 272) totally shocked the Utes with a 78-75 upset near the end of the season. Georgia nearly beat Utah in the season opener before losing 76-74. LSU suffered a 19-point loss to the Utes early in the year.

Victory opts to slow the game down to a crawl – or at least try to. Pundits do give Alabama somewhat of an edge in the post, so he opts to emphasize the post game.

“We’re going to pound it in there and pound it in there,” he tells his boys. “Defensively, we’re are going to deny the lane like a man protecting his kids from a wild animal.”

The first half is pretty brutal. Alabama trails by 6, but that’s surely ground that can be made up. The problem the Tide is having – they, too, are meeting great resistance inside. And the 3-point shot doesn’t want to fall.

The Tide refuses to go away in the second half, but time runs out before Alabama can complete the miracle upset. Utah holds on, though wearily, for a 70-67 triumph. The Utes will move to the Sweet 16.

Steve Victory’s dream of winning an NCT title in 15 years after taking his first job is snuffed out…

The killer stat. Alabama makes just six of 24 three-pointers. Everything else is pretty comparable. Alex Henry leads the team in his final college game with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Michael Slater, the other “going pro early” guy, also fares well with 11 assists and only one turnover.

As for Victory, he takes the loss harder than anyone. He holds back tears during the post-game press conference and is curt with reporters. After a quick locker room session, he zooms away to who knows where. After several hours of pacing the streets in a daze, he returns to his hotel and scribbles a hasty resignation letter to Alabama’s athletic director:

“I hereby resign my post as men’s basketball coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide. I am sorry I failed the university, the players and the fans. Best wishes. Steve.”

Victory at least has the wisdom not to mail the letter yet. He knows his emotions are running raw, and this is no time to make a big decision (of course he sort of did that when he took the ‘Bama job)… He folds the letter up, finds the quickest flight out of town and heads home to do a lot of thinking. He shuns all requests for interviews and doesn’t return phone calls from friends.

“I really have no desire to be a basketball coach any more – or to even be around basketball,” he writes in his journal. “Like my high school and college years, we just couldn’t win the big one. I just can’t take that any more. I hate not succeeding.”

Victory is no where to be found when the NCT Final Four rolls around. Utah isn’t there either, having fallen to St. John’s in the Elite Eight. Oklahoma State cuts down the nets on Big Monday, beating of all teams, the University of Florida, in the final. Marquette is the other Final Four participant. Of course, Alabama beat Florida, too, 78-55 but that was a long time ago.

Oklahoma University caps a great year for that state in basketball, winning the ACT over Clemson. Ball State and Georgia State make the Final Four before losing.

The biggest question on everyone’s minds now: What will Steve Victory do next? Stay tuned...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #107
aztarheel
High School JV

posted by yanksare

Tuscaloosa News April 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Welcome back to the Roundup. Utes 70 Tide 67. That’s it folks. I’m calling it right now. Victory is gone. Not the way that you probably expect though. He will not be fired. Coach Victory will resign. Sources tell me that he is currently on a beach on the coast right now considering offers for another team. What? But he has always said, “Be patient” and “Bring it on.” He bleeds the crimson of Alabama basketball. Not so fast my friends. Here comes the information that guarantees that Victory will not be returning.

As I am sure you all remember from my last pulitizer prize like column, there is a mystery to reveal about Mr. Victory. Late last week I received a call from a woman, let's call her Pam L. from Arizona. She informed me that as well as being one of my many readers that she had some information for me on Steve Victory that would allow us to see his true loyalty was to himself and not to the Tide.

We met in Phoenix and she produced a tattered, stained napkin from her purse and placed it in front of her on the table. Her eyes welled up with tears as she slowly recounted to me a torrid love affair that began in Miami in the summer of 2003 and ended in the summer of 2011. Of course this affair was with our very own Steve Victory.

They met at popular Miami Sub’s where Pam was working the counter and a young Steve and some of his friends had gone for dinner. Steve waited for Pam to finish her shift and then they stayed up all night getting to know each other. Pam learned that night that Steve was about to begin his head coaching career with the University of Central Florida and that the new head coach was quite ambitious.

Victory has always been quite sure of himself and showed Pam one of the napkins from Miami Subs that he and his friends had been looking at all night. It spelled out his plans for the future. Happily, Pam also was in his plans as well. They spent many days and nights together as Steve’s career moved to Charleston and then to Alabama. They vacationed together regularly at the beach and in the summer of 2011 they went to the Grand Canyon. It is there that this story takes a turn for the worse. Victory was in a state of inner turmoil and was about to tear up his beloved Napkin and allow it to float to the botton of Bright Angel Trail. Pam was able to convince him to not give up on his dreams. In gratitude Victory gave the Napkin to her to symbolize that he will never give up on his goals in basketball or on his love for her.

Fast forward to a month ago. Ms. L receives a short email from Victory stating, “We’re Done.” Apparently, goals can change. It was then that Ms. L. handed me the Napkin. In Coach Victory’s handwriting it stated....

* Spend 3-4 years at UCF rebuilding their program back to respectability, hopefully winning a conference title or two.
*Jump to a mid-major and build a program there for another 3-4 years.
* Jump to a big-time conference by year 6-9 (or earlier if the right situation arises) and hopefully get them championship ready in the following 5 years or so… The dream programs – anyone in the ACC, a select few other schools like Indiana, Kentucky, Arizona or a Florida school like UF, FSU or Miami...

Where is Alabama’s name? Where is the next right situation? Steve Victory, in the name of the law, the Sheriff is making a citizens arrest. We demand a resignation. I’m sure Raleigh or Charlottesville have Miami Subs too. Until next time, I am the Sheriff and you are not.

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-22-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #108
aztarheel
High School JV

Posted by: Astros02

Hi, I’m Frank. I just wanted to say that I am very dissapointed that the AD has not fired Steve Chokefactory yet and the Sherrif should get a raise. Coach needs to go back to Central Florida where he belongs, cause he’ll never bring any real success to a serious program!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #109
aztarheel
High School JV

Author's Note: It was at this point in the dynasty story where I seriously considered quitting and moving onto something else. I hadn't achieved my objective, having made some pretty fatal moves along the way (i.e. taking the 'Bama job considering how crappy they were, some poor recruiting moves, etc.).

So at the time, I put a poll on the Tournament Dreams message forums asking folks what Steve should do next - quit, stick it out, go back to Charleston, take another job, etc. Nearly everyone said keep playing, though some suggested a different school might help. Knowing that I was fully involved in the dynasty, I couldn't stop. Ironically, the next 15 years of Victory's career would be much, much, much better...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #110
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Spring/Summer 2018

After a few weeks of feeling sorry for himself, Steve Victory finally snaps out of his funk. He faces the cold, hard fact that he dedicated himself headlong to a goal – win the NCT within 15 years of taking his first job – and didn’t succeed.

He comes to grips with the fact that while many others are making themselves into legends, he’s still only considered “competent” as a coach. Yes, his overall record is just barely over. 500 (237-236). And yes, there are media yips out there calling for his job and fans that have given him some not-so-kind nicknames (Steve Chokefactory is pretty funny, Astros).

But Victory finally takes the advice he gives so often to his players – learn from your failures, stop making excuses, get up off the mat and try again – even harder than before. He quickly finds his resignation letter to Alabama’s AD, still stashed away in his suitcase, and burns it (lest that too fall into the hands of Mr. Sheriff). Steve Victory, age 45, is going to keep coaching basketball!!

“Man, I’m only 45 – not 85,” Victory tells himself in a Tony Robbins-like motivational moment after a breakfast of Wheaties and grapefruit. “I’ve still got 20 or 25 more good years ahead of me. Heck, I can still win multiple national championships. Dean Smith didn’t win his first title until more than 20 years after taking over at UNC, and no one dares challenge his status as a legend.”

With his pout-fest now over, Victory turns his thoughts to another big question – is Alabama the right situation for him? He’ll be the first to admit he hasn’t always liked his time in Tuscaloosa. He’s gotten more gray hairs from a couple ‘Bama teams than from anything else in his life. Plus, Tuscaloosa likely will always be a football-first town...

On the other hand, Tide basketball has been on an upward slope most of the past five years. Victory has posted a 111-58 mark during that span, a winning percentage of 65.7 percent. His 2015 team won 29 games and three other squads have broken the 20-win barrier. His most recent team won the SEC championship and nearly knocked off #1 Utah in the NCT round of 32.

Plus, two of his players from the 2017-18 team – Alex Henry and Michael Slater – just got drafted by NBA teams. Henry went in the first round, and Slater in the second.

“We’ll just have to see what kind of offers come my way,” Victory muses to himself. “I still think we can win the NCT here or if an ACC school should ever want me – or even my alma mater Miami – that might be cool, too. Whatever the case, I’m not throwing in the towel on my coaching career. It’s time to write some new chapters…”
Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #111
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Job Offers 2018

As usual, the job offers are pretty tame. East Carolina is calling on Victory again. So, too, is High Point, a dreadful South Florida program and some other no-name schools (at least not Quinnipiac ). Then Victory gets an e-mail from his old athletic director at College of Charleston:

Steve, my friend. We want you back. We can see all the negative press you’re getting at Alabama. We feel that our university can offer you a fresh start and a chance to build a winning program from the ground up. We are looking towards the future and feel you are the coach that can take us to the next level. Blah blah blah...

(For real, in a wonderful thread to this crazy dynasty, College of Charleston has come calling again on coach Victory – I laughed at loud when the job offers appeared on my screen)…

Victory quickly dials up the Cougars’ AD. “Hey, Mike, I’ve got to be in Charleston this weekend any way to patch things up with an old friend. Let’s meet at Miami Subs for lunch on Saturday and we’ll talk. Look forward to seeing you again, buddy. Let’s just say that I’m more excited than ever about being a college basketball coach…”
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #112
Jeff Wilt
n00b

Memories

I thought I was out..but you pulled me back in. Hey E!! Thanks for the message. Lots of big stuff happening. I'll email you tonight.
Jeff Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #113
aztarheel
High School JV

Frank again. Chokefactory still isn’t fired? This is Tuscaloosa, not Tuscalosers, get his sorry butt out of here if you want to win some games! I hope the A.D. reads this paper.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #114
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Back to Charleston?

Charleston officials wine and dine coach Victory to no-end. For some reason he’s kind of a cult hero to Cougar fans even though he stayed only four years and then bolted to Alabama…

“If you come back you’ll be a legend just for getting us in the tournament a couple of times,” the Charleston AD tells Victory. “And I really think with your deft recruiting and coaching skills, you can rule the Southern for many years and even cut down the nets like you’ve always dreamed of in the NCT.”

Victory’s impressed to see that Charleston’s prestige has almost matched Alabama’s. It’s now at 48, though the Cougars haven’t been to the NCT or ACT tournaments in awhile. No one else in the Southern is even over 35.

The top 6-7 returning players on Charleston’s roster aren’t too bad either. Victory remembers some of these guys from the previous season when the Cougars stole a win from his ‘Bama squad.

While his old friends in Charleston – and a nice walk on the beach – pull at Victory to return to his “roots,” the coach just can’t leave Alabama yet. His 2018-19 team could be his best yet. Plus, why would anyone in their right mind leave the SEC for the Southern Conference, especially after laboring so hard just to make an awful Crimson Tide program into an “average” one?

“I’ll always remember Charleston fondly,” Victory tells school officials. “I’ll never speak a bad word about the university, and my teams will come to your place to play games any season you want. But I owe it to Alabama to keep pressing on with them. I’ve still got some unfinished business in Tuscaloosa.”

With that Victory returns to Alabama and signs a four-year extension with the school. At a press conference he divulges his 15-year NCT championship idea (now snuffed out) and the ill-fated “napkin,” much of which has already been hashed out in the press.

“Yes, I was pretty cocky when I put that idea down,” he told reporters at a press conference. “Yes, I have been pretty selfish overall when it has come to my career. But these 15 years have changed me, and I will work harder than ever before to bring the NCT title to Tuscaloosa, not just for me and my career, but for the players, the school and the fans as well. Dang it – I just want to win so badly…

“Now, if you will excuse me, I’ve got work to do.” And with that, he winked at The Sheriff and walked off the platform, knowing that he probably pissed the award-winning columnist off by staying at ‘Bama – but knowing that plenty of good sports columns lie ahead in the Tuscaloosa News… (and in the Letters to the Editor section)…
Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #115
aztarheel
High School JV

posted by yanksare

Tuscaloosa News May 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

There comes a time in a man’s life when he has to go where he has always dreaded to think. A place that only he knows about and only he can enter. My devoted flock, I shudder to even tell you about this experience lest we all should fall under the power of this dark enigmatic force. I have heard news today that has shaken me to the core and I dare say that I will never, ever be the same gentleman again.

Steve Victory will return as the head coach for the Alabama Crimson Tide not only for this year but he has signed a four year extension. Loyal readers I have misled you. I have lied to you and I have no one to blame but myself.

The Sheriff is a man of strong character and a man of his word. The Sheriff is all too willing to admit when he is wrong. The Sheriff was wrong about Steve Victory. I shout it from the mountain tops that the Sheriff was wrong about Steve Victory. Coach Victory, please except my most humble apology. I am truly sorry.

I am truly sorry that the fine University of Alabama has a coach like Steve ”What does it feel like to get a” Victory. I am truly sorry that Victory is not a man of his word. I am truly sorry that Victory can make promises to individuals in his personal and private life and feel no remorse when he shatters those so-called oaths. I am truly sorry that my astute readers will have to continue to watch a self-absorbed coach continue to lead the Tide to the top of mediocrity. I am truly sorry that this column had to be written.

The Sheriff needs a moment. In lieu of my famous quips, I humbly ask for a moment of silence for the future of Alabama basketball. Until next time, the Sheriff is truly sorry.

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-22-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #116
aztarheel
High School JV

posted by yanksare

Tuscaloosa News May 2018

Sheriff’s Roundup

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Today dawns a new column for your beloved Sheriff. Over the years I have received literally thousands of letters, emails and calls praising my diligent work. As a extremely popular and well received writer I cannot always respond to each and every one of your burning questions. However, every once in a blue moon, one of you will touch me somewhere deep inside and I will also occasionally get a profound and well written letter. This column I lovingly call Perspectives from my Posse ... I said Posse.

Frank, who is obviously a brilliant and successful man recently had this to say. “I just wanted to say that I am very dissapointed that the AD has not fired Steve Chokefactory yet and the Sherrif should get a raise.”

Now, I cannot say I approve of the namecalling, nor the misspelling of my name, but I certainly echo the well written and thought provoking dialogue held within. Dare I say, Frank, you my good and faithful man, have earned your spot at the feast.

I intend to offer this humble sounding board to my millions and millions of fans on a semi-regular basis. Do not worry my flock, for your Sheriff will continue to fight the good fight against the reprehensible Steve”Just one more would make it my first” Victory. Until then, please remember in case of a national emergency have plenty of duct tape available.

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-22-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #117
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Season Sixteen (!) 2018-19

The first day of practice for the 2018-19 season can’t come soon enough for Steve Victory. After a tumultuous off-season – which included a major test of character, a firestorm of bad press clippings, a tempting proposal to move back to Charleston and a national outcry over hyphenated last names – the coach is just glad to get back to the X’s and O’s of basketball.

Though the list of sarcastic barbs at his last name continues to grow, Victory enters his 16th season as a head coach confident that this can be the breakthrough season. Sweet 16 for the Tide? Elite Eight? Maybe even Final Four?

While the Alabama administrators aren’t aiming too high – “just give us a .500 conference record one more time” – the pundits have the Tide picked to be pretty good. The freshman are listed as Very Good. The overall talent level is tabbed as Superior. The game challenge level – Easy (Ha! What’s easy for Coach V?). Alabama’s “blue hell” national prestige ranking (reference The Sheriff’s latest tirade in the Quinny dynasty post) is now up to 54 – the highest ever for Victory but still average to the rest of us...

Here’s the reason Victory is so pumped about this season (and why he likely didn’t jump ship to CoC): six seniors are back — PG Mark Bell, SG Marco Bartow, SF Traves Pearce, PF Travis McQuay, PF Adam Gibson and PG Will Turner. The first four guys will start. Juniors Loren Tracy and Darrell Wynn, both of whom will likely join the six seniors in leaving school after this year (NBA draft), will battle it out at the center spot.

The rest of the lineup includes sophomores Earl Dixon (SG) and Ely Wilson (SF), redshirt freshman Nate Nolan (SG) and new recruits Lincoln Dearman (PF) and David Smith (PG). Dearman is out of Coffeeville, Miss. Smith hails from St. Charles, Ill. Both look pretty decent but won’t play much this year.

Victory shook up his coaching staff a bit, too, in the off-season. He let two guys go and brought in Kendrick Redd (GGEGGEEG) and Matt Cook (EEGEEGGA). His lead assistant is Dionosio Jenkins (GGGEGEGG). The new coaches took a nice chunk out of the budget, but Victory is still left with about $6,000 per week to locate six new players (more likely seven or eight if Wynn and Tracy follow recent trends and bolt to the NBA).

And away we go – again… First stop – the Preseason ACT in New York City, where Victory will face his alma mater, the Miami Hurricanes.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #118
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Brutal message board over there - you just won the SEC Tourney with Bama for frackin sakes. Oy.

Congrats!

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #119
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Non-conference 2018-19

It takes Alabama about a half to find its groove in the season opener against Miami. After falling behind 43-30, the Tide storms back to win it 76-66. Travis McQuay ignites the rally with 24 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks. Nice!

McQuay looks like an All-American again the next night as Alabama dismantles Texas A&M in the Preseason ACT semifinals 94-60. McQ scores 22, yanks down 11 boards, even swipes three steals. This could be a great year!

But, as folks who have followed ‘Bama the past decade know, the Crimson Tide can’t seem to sustain their runs for very long. Manhattan trips Victory’s bunch 65-63 in the title game. Once again, Coach V gets second place in the ACT – a recurring theme in this dynasty…

The rest of the non-conference slate goes in similar fashion. There’s another big win over Texas A&M (they were already on the schedule before the ACT). Then there’s a 69-64 loss to #8 Maryland. Alabama dismantles four foes in a row – Maryland-Baltimore County (92-44), Stetson (95-66), Pittsburgh (96-63) and Samford (85-58). Then they lose two straight to SMU and South Florida (who actually aren’t that bad this season – both have CRIs in the 50-60 range).

When the non-conference slate ends, Alabama is holding a 12-4 overall record. At least the Tide finished its pre-SEC slate with a bang – getting wins over Montana, Virginia Tech, Washington and Radford. And at this point Maryland and Manhattan are still ranked pretty highly, so those losses don’t seem as bad. It’s just Victory believes his team is capable of being so much better. McQuay has quieted some as teams are figuring him out. Others have had good nights but no one has yet cemented himself as the go-to guy. One problem Victory needs to figure out – how to keep his guys out of foul trouble, especially the post players.

“Men, we’re going to have to reach another level if we’re to defend our SEC championship this year – and fare well in the NCT,” Victory says at practice before the conference opener against Ole Miss.

As expected, a few games before SEC play starts, junior centers Darrell Wynn and Loren Tracy both heed the call of NBA dollars and declare themselves eligible for next year’s draft. That means Victory has eight spots to fill. Pretty much a whole new team will play in Tuscaloosa next winter. That makes this year all the more important if Victory wants to reach some of his NCT goals…
Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #120
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – SEC Season 2018-19

Things don’t start well for Alabama in conference play. The Tide tumbles out of the rankings with a 3-point loss to Ole Miss. After beating LSU 84-72, they drop to 1-2 in the SEC with a 67-60 defeat at #2 Mississippi State. To make matters worse, Travis McQuay suffers a stress fracture in the Ole Miss game and is lost for a month. At least it’s not the season! He should be back by the stretch run of conference.

Alabama faces what many are calling a must-win situation at #7 Florida. If the Tide loses this one, they’ll fall to 1-3 in the conference. That certainly won’t do much for the NCT selection committee (or The Sheriff’s column-writing mood). Victory brings C Darrell Wynn back into the starting lineup to fill McQuay’s place. The Tide has Twin Towers down low – a pair of 6-11 bruisers. But can they score?

Yes they can! Wynn pumps in 19 points and gets 9 boards as Alabama nips the Gators on the road 79-76. Small forward Traves Pearce adds 19 (he’s been an unsung contributor so far – a steady 13-14 ppg with a 34-point outburst against Virginia Tech). Mark Bell scores 18.

That win sets off a nice streak for the Crimson Tide. They take five of their next six (victims include Auburn, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Arkansas again). Different people lead the scoring on different nights. Travis McQuay comes back for the second Arkansas contest and nets 20… Welcome back, McQ! Alabama needs you! Stay healthy!!

The win over the Razorbacks pushes the Tide to 19-7 – a likely lock for an NCT berth if they can just get a couple more W’s. #25 Kentucky and #2 Mississippi State keep ‘Bama from that 20th win for a couple nights, but the Tide gets over the hump with triumphs against Auburn, Tennessee and LSU. Georgia nips Alabama in the final game of the regular season (Victory’s team looking ahead to the tourney?) by a 62-56 score. That’s not what the Tide needs heading into what could be another do-or-die SEC tourney situation.

Alabama isn’t listed among the “Bubble” teams so Victory is hoping his bunch is a shoe-in no matter what happens during tournament weekend in Atlanta. Of course, the best way to avoid getting snubbed – win three games in a row and get that automatcic berth. That quest begins Friday night, March 8 in the Georgia Dome…

Some end of regular season notes: Alabama’s PG Mark Bell earns all-SEC honors (12.8 ppg, 7 apg, 1.8 spg). McQuay (16.1 ppg, 10 rpg) probably deserved a mention somewhere but Mississippi State PF Maurice Fields is a first-team All-American pick at his position. Hard to surpass that. Plus, the Bulldogs only lost a handful of games. Alabama’s got 10 losses on its record. The Tide finishes 24th in the .400 poll and 28th in the IP poll. Final CRI: 30.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #121
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – SEC Tournament 2019

Steve Victory’s bunch does earn the chance to defend its SEC tournament title – beating fifth-seeded Florida 87-75 in the quarterfinals and knocking off eighth-seeded South Carolina 87-76 in the semis. Florida carried a #18 national ranking into the contest. South Carolina did the Crimson Tide a huge favor and upset the SEC regular-season champs (Mississippi State) in the quarterfinals. Otherwise MSU would have been Alabama’s second-round opponent. Thank you Gamecocks!

Alabama’s win over USC was textbook. All five starters got into double figures – Bell 15, Bartow 14, Pearce 14, McQ 20 and Tracy 11. The Tide now will meet LSU, another upset winner as a #6 seed, in a strange SEC finale. Alabama beat them twice in the regular season, but Victory knows they will be motivated in this third meeting. The Tigers probably need to secure the championship just to make the NCT…

Alas, Victory’s fears prove founded. Alabama goes up 9 at the break, relaxes a bit and LSU nips the Tide 74-73 in front a packed house at the Georgia Dome. The chants of “Mr. Chokefactory” begin anew. Two tournaments this season – two second-place finishes.

At least Victory doesn’t have to sweat an NCT berth. The Tide’s 24-11 record gets them into the Midwest Region as a #7 seed. Of course the road will be tough. Temple, a 10th seed, awaits in the first round, and #2 seed Marquette is the likely second-round opponent. Oklahoma State, the champion of the Big 12 and the #4 team in the nation, garners the top seed in the region. Kentucky, LSU, Florida and Mississippi State also make the Big Dance. Ole Miss, which beat ‘Bama twice and finished ahead of them in the league standings (11-5) gets the snub this time around. The Rebels look to be rebellious in the ACT…

On an interesting note, the College of Charleston had its best season since Victory left them in 2009, making the NCT tournament for the first time in a decade. The Cougars, which ended up keeping coach Michael Williamson when Victory turned them down, will sport a 26-6 record when they take the court as the #5 seed from the South (a better seed than Victory’s Alabama club).

Strange indeed, especially considering Williamson came to Charleston from Alabama when Victory took over the Crimson Tide 10 years ago. The schools nearly had a “trade back” at the beginning of this season but didn’t when Victory opted to stay in Tuscaloosa. And now both coaches are in the NCT. Ask The Sheriff if none of this makes any sense…

Now, on with NCT 2019 — the Road to the Final Four in San Antonio. Steve Victory dreams of being there — on the sidelines and not in the stands...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #122
aztarheel
High School JV

Frank again, get the nooses ready, coach is about to lead the Crimson Tide to another early round loss. Why is he still coaching? He’s bound to bring in another crappy round of recruits in, and I’m expecting no more than 15 wins next season. Does he not know what long-term success is? Steve “How do I get an NCT” Victory needs to go if Alabama doesn’t get to the sweet 16 at least.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #123
aztarheel
High School JV

Tuscaloosa News March 2019

Perspectives from my Posse

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Let’s see. Yes, yes I believe it is that time of year again. I can hear it from my office as I type. Listen closely my kindred spirits and you may be able to hear it as well. Put your ear to the ground and just like our American Indian friends of the past you may be able to pick up the trail of it approaching. What is it you ask?

The early exit from a NCT tournament by the Tide of course. What do Steve “My kingdom for a” Victory and my Jewish neighbor have in common? Both will be going down to Temple this weekend. Ha, Ha. Sometime the Sheriff tickles himself. Somtimes, Mrs. Sheriff does that as well, but that as we say, is another story.

So again it is time for some letters from my flock of believers. Brilliant and well spoken Frank writes “get the nooses ready, coach is about to lead the Crimson Tide to another early round loss. Why is he still coaching? He’s bound to bring in another crappy round of recruits in, and I’m expecting no more than 15 wins next season.”

Young Frank, again you have made a seminal point that I am driven to expound upon. Expectations. What should we expect from Coach Victory? Certainly we can expect second place finishes. We can even expect heartbreak. But I think even I didn’t expect the following unprofessional conduct reminiscient of the Tailhook controversy. It has come to my attention that Victory has pet names for his assistant coaches. They are and I quote from a reliable source within the program as following:
“Kendrick Redd is referred to as (GGEGGEEG) and Matt Cook as(EEGEEGGA). His lead assistant is Dionosio Jenkins who Victory prefers to call (GGGEGEGG).”

Is this the sort of leadership that inspires young impressionable student-athletes to victory?

The Sheriff needs a moment. Until next time, to quote a good friend of mine “everybody have fun tonight, everybody wang chung tonight.”
Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #124
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Tournament 2019

Steve Victory simply stares at the scoreboard in disbelief. The final from Thursday’s NCT opener between Temple and Alabama – 102-34.

“Have you ever seen anything like that before in the NCTs?” the coach asks an assistant with a sheepish look. “CBS probably cut away from our contest way early, and who can blame them. Who would want to watch that kind of massacre, especially a 7-10 first-round match-up that’s supposed to be close?”

Of course, the game was shown in its entirety in Tuscaloosa and the rest of the Alabama. The result will surely have the state howling. How in blue hell (to quote the Sheriff) did the Crimson Tide play a game like that?

How did coach Steve Victory’s Alabama squad beat the Temple Owls by 68 points? Yes, that’s right folks Alabama won this game, outscoring the John Chaney’s bunch (he’s still coaching at about age 105) by a 51-17 score in each half. Travis McQuay led the destruction with 24 points and 15 rebounds. Reserve guard Earl Dixon added 17 points and six assists.

“I just think the kids grew tired of reading all the negative newspaper clippings about them and me,” coach Victory says in the post-game press conference. “They just shut it all out tonight and took all their frustrations out on Temple. I didn’t have to do much really, just watch my team play on another level.”

It was definitely Victory’s most lopsided game as a head coach. And it surely gives Alabama a major dose of momentum heading into Saturday’s second-round game against second-seeded Marquette, which dispatched of Delaware 83-50…
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #125
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – NCT Round of 32, 2019

The Second Round.

Here is where coach Steve Victory’s drive for an NCT title has stalled twice before at Alabama. Last year it was #1 Utah that derailed the coach’s plans. This year second-seeded Marquette (coming off a Final Four finish in 2018) looks to snuff out the Tide. The Golden Eagles, champs from Conference USA, come in with a 30-4 record. Alabama improved to 25-11 with the big triumph over Temple.

The pundits give Alabama the edge in the backcourt, and the Tide uses great guard play from Mark Bell and Marco Bartow to engineer an 83-80 triumph! Bell has 20 points and 6 assists (despite 7 turnovers). Bartow adds 14 points. Traves Pearce gets 16 more and Travis McQuay pumps in 15 to get their coach “over the hump.” ‘Bama had 12 blocks for the game. Coach Steve Victory is going to the Sweet 16 for the first time in his career!

There, Alabama will meet Kansas in Indianapolis. The Jayhawks, the national champions in 2017, looked solid in an 87-73 win over Stanford in the second round. Also making the Sweet 16 trip from the SEC: Mississippi State, the #1 seed in the South. Kentucky, LSU and Florida all failed to get past round two. Mississippi is still alive and kicking in the ACT (mad that they didn’t make the NCT field)…

Also in the Sweet 16: College of Charleston!! Yes, that’s right. The Cougars, a #5 seed in the South, beat Jacksonville and hammered Duke 85-51 to reach the third round. Of course, CoC faces Mississippi State next. That will be a tough match-up, one that Victory will keep his eye on while getting his team ready… (Go Cougars!)

It’s been a bit of a strange tournament so far. Three #2 seeds are gone already – Marquette, Dayton and Utah (ha!). SMU and Alabama are the lowest seeded teams left. Both are #7s. Of course, N.C. State was a #6 seed way back in 1983 when one of Victory’s heroes, Jim Valvano, led the Pack to a stunning national championship...

Remember Manhattan, the team that knocked off Alabama in the Preseason ACT finals? Turns out they were pretty good. They won 30 games and earned a #6 seed in the NCT. Louisville ended their season however in the second round… Victory takes a look back at his team’s 11 losses – eight of them were to teams in the Big Dance…
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #126
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Sweet Sixteen 2019

Coach Victory checks the score from the Mississippi State-College of Charleston game on his way back to the bench for the second half of Alabama’s contest against Kansas. This just in: MSU gets past the Cinderella Cougars 69-58. Charleston fell behind by 18 in the first half but clawed back to make it respectable. Victory gives his buddies at CoC a quick salute for playing the Bulldogs solid and then heads onto the floor for what stands to be possibly the biggest 20 minutes of his career.

Kansas is beating his Alabama Crimson Tide 45-39. ‘Bama’s post players are struggling big time – only a few points to go around for Loren Tracy, Travis McQuay and Darrell Wynn.

“Guards, pick us up,” Victory says. “We can win this thing. Keep believing.”

Mark Bell and Marco Bartow heed their coach’s advice and take the game over. Since the interior guys can’t get off a good shot, they start launching from the outside. The result – the Tide scratches back for an 84-81 victory!! Bell finishes with 19 points. Bartow gets 20. SF Traves Pearce adds 12. The three players make a combined 10 three-pointers. Bell is 3-for-4 from behind the stripe, with some big ones late.

Elite Eight, baby!! Coach Victory looks about 35 years old instead of 46 at the post-game press conference. He smiles like a kid who just got exactly what he wanted on Christmas Day.

“We’re on a roll right now,” he says. “I can’t explain it, but these guys are on a mission. These seniors and juniors don’t want their college careers to end just yet. Neither do I.”

So far, the Tide’s hit list is pretty impressive – Temple, Marquette (the #2 seed) and Kansas (the #3). Of course, an even bigger battle looms next – #1 Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are 32-5 and ranked fourth in the nation. They slammed LSU in the second round 86-65 and drubbed Purdue in their Sweet 16 bout 77-55. The ‘Boys beat Kansas 86-46 back during the regular season. Yikes!

Other teams in the Elite Eight: Virginia (which knocked off #1 seeded Syracuse in the East), Missouri, Mississippi State, Louisville, Maryland and Arizona State. Three #1 seeds, three #3 seeds, a #4 seed and a #7 seed (that would be Alabama). On paper at least, the Crimson Tide are now in over their heads. Will they sink or ride the wave all the way to a national championship? Stay tuned…
Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #127
aztarheel
High School JV

Posted by: Zorro25

They’ll sink. They will most definetly sink.

Having said that, grats on an excellent run.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #128
aztarheel
High School JV

[Author's Note: I posted this in haste when I simmed my Elite Eight game]

Sing it from the rooftops — Alabama is going the Final Four!!!

The Crimson Tide has never even been to the Elite Eight in men’s hoops before this season, but they took care of top-seeded Oklahoma State to advance to San Antonio. I’ll post more details either tonight or tomorrow — plus results from the Final Four. It may be one year behind schedule, but Steve Victory could see his NCT dreams realized after all...

Coming with us to San Antonio, Mr. Sheriff-Wilt? Hope so...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #129
aztarheel
High School JV

Well, looks like Coach may finally live up to his name. I got my tickets for the final 4 (Thank you EBay), and will be sitting right behind the bench. You’ll hear my yelling if you start choking Steve, I can promise you that.

See you in San Antonio,
Frank
Old 01-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #130
aztarheel
High School JV

Posted by: yanksare

March 2019

Inside a small ranch style house just outside Tuscaloosa

“Honey, have you seen my dictionary?”

Where did you use it last, Jeff?

“If I knew that then why would I be asking you? Oh, nevermind, I’ll just pick one up on the way to the airport.”

When will you be back?

“Dunno, I hope Saturday night or that means I may be in alotta trouble come Tuesday morning.” “I can’t believe he did it. You know they might actually win the whole thing.”

Good for Steve. He deserves it. I don’t understand why you can’t just be happy for him.

“You know why.”

Jeffrey Craig Wilt, that was over 10 years ago. Have you ever heard of letting it go? No wonder you always have to find something to complain about.

“14 years. But who is counting. Anyway, gotta go catch my flight. I’ll call when I get there. Hopefully I will see you Saturday late.”
Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #131
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Elite Eight 2019

Here’s a quick recap of the Elite Eight; then we’ll get to the good stuff – The Final Four, baby!

Oklahoma State came into the NCT as the defending champion. Alabama came in as a #7 seed and a big long shot to win more than a game or two. Yet, in their Elite Eight clash, the Crimson Tide got in front early and held the Cowboys off for a 71-65 triumph. Marco Bartow got hot from 3-point land again and led ‘Bama in scoring with 18 points. Travis McQuay got an impressive double-double – 16 points and 14 boards. OSU ended its season at 32-6. Alabama will reach 30 wins if they can win the next two… (cross your fingers!)…

So, it’s on to San Antonio!! Sheriff-Hyphen’s going to be there with his posse (leaving his wife at home all weekend??). Good ol’ Cranky Frank is coming with his Astros buddies. About 45,000 fans will join them, making for a crazed hoops environment.

And Coach Steve Victory will be at ground level, making the trip to the Final Four for the first time as working participant. He still can’t believe it. His anguish over last season’s pitfalls seems like forever ago. He thanks his Maker every day he didn’t hang up his whistle after year 15 (Author’s note: I was leaning strongly toward that option when I first started this dynasty – if he didn’t win it all in 15; he was done)…

Other Elite Eight scores: #4 Virginia 76, #3 Missouri 54… #3 Louisville 79, #1 Mississippi State 70… #3 Arizona State 75, #1 Maryland 68… a strange field indeed… No #1 seeds. No #2 seeds. Steve Victory likes Alabama’s chances…

Will the coach Remember the Alamo (Dome) as the site of his biggest triumph or another place filled with heartbreak?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #132
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Final Four 2019 (Baby!)

Except for Louisville, this year’s Final Four stage features three “step-child” teams from three strong conferences. You might expect Carolina, Duke or Maryland out of the ACC in the Final Four, but Virginia (29-7)? The Arizona Wildcats are the traditional power in the Pac-10, but this year their brethren from Tempe (30-5) dethroned them from their perch. Of course Alabama (28-11) has never even been to an Elite Eight, let alone a Final Four. The SEC traditionally sends Mississippi State, Kentucky or Florida this far into the tournament.

Louisville (30-6) is likely the odds-makers' favorite team. The Cardinals won the 2003 crown and have been to the NCT 14 of the last 16 seasons (a couple of Elite Eight and Final Four visits as well). Plus, they are the highest ranked squad among the four…

Both Saturday games actually prove to be duds from a TV/fan standpoint. Both turn into blowouts. Louisville dismantles Virginia 93-56, outscoring the Cavs (or the Cav-Nots in this case) 55-24 in the second half.

As for Alabama – they win again!!! The Crimson Tide trails at half 33-31 but rallies for a 79-64 triumph over Arizona State. The second half has been good to Victory’s bunch in this tournament!

Travis McQuay leads the scoring for ‘Bama with 22 points. He also grabs 11 rebounds. The guards and small forwards also play well – Traves Pearce 12, Marco Bartow 11, Mark Bell 10 and freshman PG David Smith 11. Loren Tracy is an absolute monster underneath the basket. He pounces on 17 boards (including 8 on the offensive side) and rejects 8 Arizona State shots…

The dream continues: it’s on to the championship game for Steve Victory!! Yes, Mr. Sheriff-Hyphen, you’re not going home till Tuesday morning. Of course you and Frank are invited to the Victory party (nice pun) at the team hotel if ‘Bama cuts down the nets Monday night. It’s going to be tough, however. Louisville is solid and hungry. But so is Alabama!!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #133
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL - NCT Championship 2019

Here’s the match-up heading into the NCT title game. Amazingly, the pundits consider Alabama the favorites!! Coach Victory seems to be walking on a cloud as he prepares for the Cardinals.

“Men, if we do this, I’m going to do a Cozell McQueen,” Victory tells his team. “Remember N.C. State’s miracle run to the national championship in 1983? After the Wolfpack beat Houston, the 6-11 McQueen climbed up on the basket and took a seat on top of the backboard, wearing a big goofy smile for several minutes... I want to do that Monday night after beating Louisville...”

His players give him a strange look, but they too seem to be relishing every moment of this unbelievable run through the NCT...
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #134
aztarheel
High School JV

Posted by: jksander

Coach Victory,

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in Monday night’s championship game! After sixteen years, you’ve earned it, despite what Sheriff Fife-Wilt has to say about it He’s given us both a ton of grief, so win, will ya? By the way, I’ve got a seat behind Astros02, and if he tries yelling “Chokefactory!” at me, I’ll make sure he doesn’t get the chance

Daniel Rand-Stevenson
Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #135
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL - NCT Championship 2019

Paint the town Crimson!

Coach Victory enjoys the views from the top of the backboard at the South end of the Alamo Dome. It was a little tricky getting up there, and the Sheriff will probably have a field day over his lack of personal dignity during this moment. But the heck with the Sheriff. Steve Victory has just coached his first national championship team!! For real!! This is not the time to think logically. It’s time for unadulterated celebrations.

Actually, Victory had several minutes to plan how he was going to ascend the Alamo Dome backboard, ala Cozell McQueen of the Cardiac Pack in 1983. Alabama had this game in the bag by halftime! The Tide exploded from the opening tip to take a 43-23 lead. Wow! Louisville made a push or two after intermission, but the Tide held them off for a 78-63 triumph.

From a national standpoint, the 2019 Final Four didn’t have much to offer the casual fan – three blowouts in three games. But don’t tell that to the folks in Tuscaloosa and surrounding communities, who will be partying well into the night at the school’s first championship in men’s hoops. A few might honk a few horns around Auburn University as well… Haha!

Senior SG Marco Bartow, an unsung player much of the season, earns MVP honors. He scores 23 points in the title game. He makes 4-of-7 from three-point land. He swishes 8-of-16 from the field, dishes out three assists and even grabs four rebounds. Point guard Mark Bell is impeccable, serving up 11 assists against only three turnovers. Traves Pearce adds 16 points. Travis McQuay gets shut down by Louisville’s post players (9 points) but still squirms loose for 11 rebounds.

What else can you say? After almost cashing in on his college coaching career 12 months earlier – or at least bailing on Alabama – Steve Victory has reached the pinnacle. It might even mean more coming in Year 16. The first 15 years certainly humbled the 46-year-old from South Florida and made him appreciate the championship a whole lot more…
Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #136
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Big shout out to ya man. Great job!

[email protected]

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #137
hoopsguy
General Manager

Congrats on bringing home the crown - certainly a tough career challenge. Well done.

So, does Victory come back to defend the title?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #138
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
It has come to my attention that Victory has pet names for his assistant coaches. They are and I quote from a reliable source within the program as following:
“Kendrick Redd is referred to as (GGEGGEEG) and Matt Cook as(EEGEEGGA). His lead assistant is Dionosio Jenkins who Victory prefers to call (GGGEGEGG).”

This was actually funny.

[email protected]

--Thomas B. Macaulay
Old 01-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #139
aztarheel
High School JV

Yeah it was ... of course I was trying to indicate their ratings (G=good, E=excellent) - something a regular player of the game would understand -- but my friend Jeff had no idea and ran with the first thing that popped in his mind...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #140
aztarheel
High School JV

Posted by: Zorro25
Grats to coach Victory on the title! And to the Sheriff — Coach Travis Johnson of Wofford for one hopes you have the good sense and self-preservation to ride your sorry pessimistic lying butt out of town!

Posted by: AZTarHeel
Thanks Zorro... As for the Sheriff, beware of picking a fight... He may end up hanging around Wofford

That was a wild party! By the way, that was a makeshift sign, on the other side I had written “Chalk up another L for Coach V”

Congratulations, my perspective from the posse will be much different next time I write in to the Tuscaloosa news.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #141
aztarheel
High School JV

Late Monday night in a local San Antonio watering hole

You want something else, Captain?

“Sheriff, the name’s Sheriff. And yeah, keep ‘em coming.”
“I coulda been something ya know. National Champions. Cozell Freakin McQueen. Winking at me. Where’s my drink?”

So, did you watch the big game?

“Did I watch the big game? Did I watch the big game? Don’t ya know who I am? Doncha recognize me?”

Yeah, buddy you’re Colonel Sanders or whatever you keep calling yourself.

“The Sheriff. Sheriff not colonel and not Sanders. I used to coach. That coulda been me. National Championship in 16th year. Humbled by the process. Bahh.. I hate him. I hate him. Damn napkin. Could a been me I tell ya.”

Whatever Deputy. Another one?

“Yea, and it’s not deputy it’s, oh nevermind. Keep em coming.”
“What am I supposda write now? He did it. He actually did it. Son of a b——. I hate em. I really hate em.”
Old 01-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #142
aztarheel
High School JV

In the Drive-Thru of a famous fast food restaurant

“Yeah, can you believe it? He actually took them all the way. Hold on a second babe.”

“Ok, let’s see, let me get a #4 meal. Yeah # 4, the Double Wofford with Cheese meal. King size it and a coke. Yeah, thanks.”

“I’m hungry. What diet? Honey, you know anyone can finish off one Wofford in less then a minute. Anyway, I’m on my way to the airport and the plane gets in around 3:30 our time. I know. I know. When I get home I’ll have to finish writing the column that I have had nightmares about for years.”

“What? I know. Let it go. It’s not that easy. See ya in a few hours. Love you too. Bye.”
Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #143
aztarheel
High School JV

Tuscaloosa News April 2019

Sheriff’s Roundup

An Open Letter to Coach Steve Victory

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

“Don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.”

Steve Victory and his Alabama Crimson Tide did the unthinkable last night. They defeated Louisville last night 78-63 to claim their first NCT championship. I applaud both Coach Victory and the vailant effort of his men. No tricks this time. No clever anecdotes. I stand humbly before these gentleman and offer up my unadulerated praise to a season for the ages. This truly was a storybook ending. Through all the turmoil of the past 2 years, the Tide’s coach did not turn further inward in self-absorption but rather turned outward in openess and humility which his team embraced and they rode to the promised land.

I have been covering Steve Victory for the past 14 years and I have not always been the most gracious of writers. Some have said that I overstepped my bounds as a journalist and seemed to have some type of personal vendetta with Victory. I have poked, prodded, and at times possibly exaggerated facts in order to produce hard hitting journalism. Yet, in all of this time, I have never been attacked by this man. Sure, he suffered the sin of pride for the majority of his career as many of us do, but unlike most of us, it appears he has conquered that pride with a desire to change and help the young men around him.

I began this column with the old American Indian quote “Don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.” Well Steve to you I finally say,

Those should have been my shoes and that was my mile to walk. That should have been me Monday night cutting down the nets. Steve, I will never forgive you for what happened.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #144
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Final Thoughts 2019

As coach Victory awaits the latest breaking news from The Sheriff [Author's note: I had no clue what yanksare was up to at this point], here are some closing thoughts on Alabama’s national championship season:

* The Tide reached the 30-win plateau for the first time in school history

* Four players averaged 11.9 ppg or better for the season. Travis McQuay led the way with 16.1 ppg, followed by SF Traves Pearce 13,8, PG Mark Bell 12.8 and Marco Bartow (‘Bama’s Final Four hero) 11.9.

* Top rebounders were McQuay 10.5, Loren Tracy 9.6 and Darrell Wynn 7.6

* Top assists men were Bell 7.1 and Bartow 2.6

* Top shot-blockers were McQuay and Winn 2.8 blocks per game and Tracy 2.7 bpg. Wow, don’t bring that in here!! Pearce even rejected 1.0 shots per game…

* Ole Miss went on a tear through the ACT but stumbled to Washington State in the finals. It would have been nice to have an SEC double-double there.

* Alabama’s national prestige only went up one point to 55 following the magical run (what?!?)

* Tracy went #16 in the NBA draft to Dallas. Wynn went #50 to the Lakers… Victory now has six NBA players to his credit… All are underclassmen who declared early. The coach was surprised to see no one take McQuay…

* Job offers for coach Victory – crap, despite the NCT title. Interestingly enough, Auburn comes calling as does SEC foe Vanderbilt. Ummm, no thanks…

* Alabama sets 11 career records and nine season records during the 2018-19 campaign. Bell, McQuay and Bartow get their name on most…(Remember Brett Fischer from a couple of seasons ago? I just checked and he has the national record for FT percentage in a season – 94 percent – and the national record for FT percentage over a career – 92 percent. Wow!!!)

OK, on to Season 17 in the Steve Victory world… Will there be a repeat in Alabama's future?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #145
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Preseason 2019-20

Before we move on to Season 17, let’s meet the eight new players who will suit up for the Tide. As you may remember, six members of the national championship team graduated (yes, they all got their degrees!) and two opted to go pro after their junior seasons.

Three recruits look like stars-in-the-making, while the five others all have good potential but may be a year or two (or three) away.

Jabari Wolff, a 6-9 PF from Virginia, is probably the cream of the crop. He’s a 5-star guy that signed pretty early (for a change). He was the #19 pick in the land according to a three-star service and averaged 22 ppg and 14 rpg as a high school senior.

PG Cliff Williams from Arkansas looks to pick up where Mark Bell left off. He averaged 23 ppg and 13 apg as a senior in high school. PF John Capel from Montgomery, Alabama, looks to be a scorer (26 ppg) but isn’t much yet for rebounding…

The other five guys include C Sam Steele (not ranked but averaged 31 ppg), C Leroy Harriman (25 ppg), SF Gregg Barnes, PF Marcus Davey and PG Javon Forbes (#163 overall but averaged 32 ppg, 5 apg).

The returnees include juniors Earl Dixon (redshirt, SG) and Ely Wilson (SF) and sophomores David Smith (PG), Lincoln Dearman (PF) and Nate Nolan (SG).

The problem is none of these five “veterans” really have any experience. Smith is the highest returning scorer and he averaged just 5 ppg a game in 2018-19. This could be an interesting season. Wilson looks like the strongest player and has developed well the past few years at least in terms of ratings. Surprisingly enough, there are no seniors so Victory can’t even take advantage of Alabama’s status as national champs during the recruiting wars.

This is Victory’s second time dealing with a mass exodus of players at Alabama, so he’s decided to try a different strategy. He’s going to redshirt two freshmen (SF Barnes and PF Capel) and will likely redshirt two more guys from this class next season. “We have to do something,” the coach said. “Otherwise every four years, we’re replacing an entire team. We need to find some balance. That way we can be competitive every season and not just every fourth season… This is going to take some patience, though. We’re truly rebuilding in 2019-20.”
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #146
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Season Seventeen 2019-20

One of the more forgotten aspects of Jim Valvano’s miracle run to a national championship with N.C. State in 1983 — the fact that the coach failed to qualify the Wolfpack for the tournament the following season. After beating Houston in a rematch to start the year, NCSU had a mediocre ’84 campaign, capped only by a trip to the ACT (the NIT in those days).

Steve Victory’s script at Alabama takes a similar turn following his first national championship. The Crimson Tide finishes with a 16-16 regular season record in 2019-20 (counting SEC tourney games as well). They’re lucky even to make the ACT at all.

In many respects, though, Victory is counting his blessings that this bunch manages 16 wins, especially after losing eight of their first 11. The first part of the season is pretty ugly as an out-of-sync ‘Bama squad drops games to such notable opponents as Lafeyette, Wyoming (who turns out to be pretty good actually at 28-4), Southern, College of Charleston (more on them in a minute), Villanova and Illinois State.

Once the SEC season rolls around, the young guns finally start to gel a bit. Alabama loses early games against LSU (more on them too in a minute) and #3 Mississippi State but then engineers a three-game winning streak then later a four-game winning streak. All told, ‘Bama takes fifth place in the SEC with a 10-6 record. There are a few “Franks” out there who bicker about a return to the old ways with Steve Victory, but most are patient with the coach as he essentially retools his entire program…

Some of the notable wins: Vanderbilt (CRI 29), Auburn (CRI 25) and Kentucky (CRI 32). The Tide nearly beat LSU in the second meeting before falling by 3… SG Earl Dixon gets Player of the Week honors in Week 14 (26 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4 apg). Jabari Wolff earns Frosh of the Week midway through the season. PG David Smith actually makes the all-SEC team (12 ppg, 8 apg). Wolff is a member of the all-SEC Frosh team. Not bad in the awards department…

Alabama wins two games in the SEC tournament, downing #12 Tennessee 75-63 and upsetting #4 Florida 87-81 (always nice to beat the Gators). The Tide gives #1 seed Mississippi State (who else?) a good battle before falling 79-73 in the semifinals. The Bulldogs then cruise past #2 Vandy in the championship by about 40…

So it’s on to the post-season for Victory and the Crimson Tide. Though not able to defend their NCT title, Alabama will get a chance to play some more games (something they need). And who knows, Victory might take them back to Madison Square Garden...

Last edited by aztarheel : 01-26-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #147
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – ACT 2019-20

Steve Victory knows that his team can play as many as five more games in their season before turning in the equipment. Amazingly, the Crimson Tide gets to play all five! Here’s a recap:

Round of 32: Alabama 85, Temple 74: Ely Wilson scores 23 and Earl Dixon nets 22 as the Tide enjoys a big second half. Wilson also had 14 rebounds, and Wolff had four blocks. (Temple is sick of playing Bama in the post-season by the way...

Round of 16: Alabama 74, Ohio State 66: PG David Smith scores 18, including 3-of-3 from three-point land. Dixon and Lincoln Dearman both score 16.

Round of 8: Alabama 87, Saint Louis 64: The Tide gets out to a 19-point halftime lead and cruises into Madison Square Garden. Five score in double figures, led by Dearman’s 19. Wolff wolfs down 14 rebounds.

ACT Final 4: Alabama 94, UC-Riverside 68: This one is no contest as the Tide scores 50 points by halftime. Wolff leads with 23 points, while Dixon and Wilson both score 15. All Alabama needs to do is take out Florida State of the ACC to win the ACT title. FSU nipped George Washington 81-80 in the other semi. The Tide should be rested…

ACT Championship: Florida State 74, Alabama 69: Rats! Steve Victory just can’t win championship games in Madison Square Garden. He lost to Arkansas in the final several years ago and finished second a few times in Preseason ACT events. The Seminoles go up 11 at halftime and hold off a furious charge. Dixon scores 27 points but that’s about all the consistent offense.

As a team, Alabama shoots a meager 33 percent… Final record for the Tide 20-17… Disappointing for sure after an NCT Title the year before, but getting 20 wins seemed impossible when Alabama started this season 3-8… This would be called a great salvage job...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #148
aztarheel
High School JV

Frank again. Isn’t it about time we get rid of this mediocrity? I hate every 4 years having a chance to get LUCKY to get to the sweet 16. Why can’t Steve “I forget how to get a” Victory draw out a plan to have a steady roster, instead of having 8, *8*(!), leave in one offseason?

Get him outta here! I don’t want to have to wait 20 more seasons for another final 4! Hell, I’d rather have Alabama’s own Charles Barkley coaching the team. So what if he’s in his 50’s without any coaching experience, he’d be much better than Steve “I’d sell my soul for a” Victory!

EDIT: Doh, forgot he was Frank, not Fred!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #149
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Wrapping up 2019-20

A couple of interesting storylines as Victory and company close the 2019-20 season.

1) LSU: The Tigers pull an Alabama. Despite being a #8 seed in the NCT, LSU gets hot and advances all the way to the national championship game. Louisville finally ends their magical run 81-66 in Atlanta. That would have been neat to have back-to-back SEC champs (over the Cardinals no less). Mississippi State does reach another Final Four but falls to Louisville. Fordham (!) is the other Final Four team.

2) College of Charleston: The team that Victory could have been coaching had he made a different decision two seasons ago returns to the Sweet 16 in the NCT!! The Cougars go 29-6 and win the SoCon. They take a #6 seed in the East Region and beat Evansville and Wisconsin before falling to #3 Oklahoma. CoC fans are glad they kept Michael Williamson around. Steve who? Oh yeah, Steve Victory. Where is he now, the ACT? Alabama is so last year…

Alabama leaders for 2019-20 (not bad numbers)
Scoring: Ely Wilson 16.3 ppg, Earl Dixon 16.2 ppg, David Smith 12.0, Lincoln Dearman 11.1
Rebounds: Ely Wilson 10.2 rpg, Dearman 7.1 rpg, Dixon (wow a SG!) 5.6 rpg (Why was Wilson not all-SEC?)
Assists: Smith 8.0
Blocks: Wolff 2.2

Job offers: now here is where things get interesting for Mr. Victory. The coach has said openly for years that he would love a job in the ACC. For the first time in his career, some ACC schools come calling. One team is Clemson. The other is Georgia Tech. Both are lower in prestige than Alabama (Clemson=42 and Georgia Tech=50), but this is the freakin’ ACC!!

The rumor mills start rolling again (fueled by speculation that Charles Barkley wants to coach the Crimson Tide now that his term as U.S. Senator is up), and Victory must make some tough decisions once more… Will he be an ACC coach for his 18th season, leaving the Crimson Tide high and dry now that he’s won a title there? Or will he stick around Tuscaloosa to see what these young guns he brought in the year before are capable of? Stay tuned…
Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #150
devynd
n00b

Good story so far! I actually found myself disliking Steve Victory and cheering against him when he left UCF so soon. I love how the character has so much arrogance and then suffers an exceptional degree of failure. I was actually almost laughing at him when he considered quitting at the 15-year mark: "Dude, change your goal; your team looks like it could contend next year. So it might be 16 years instead of 15. Get over it already." It's really interesting to see Steve develop and grow a little, and by the time 'Bama won the title, I was happy for him. And then he starts thinking again about going to another program (ACC! When in this sim it's obvious that the SEC has become the dominant conference), and it becomes clear that even though he is learning, he's still the same old Steve Victory....

I look forward to seeing the rest of the story. I hope you can post it soon. It makes me want to get a college BB sim of my own, even with my hands full with my new FOF and TCY....
devynd is offline   Reply With Quote