Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Help me buy a camera for my boy....

I have a 14 year old son, who asked me for a camera for his birthday.....

He requested one that shoots a bunch of pictures, when holding down the "shoot" button... Also would prefer one with a good "zoom"....

He will use it to take action shots, at Eagles games and other local athletic events...

I don't know the first thing about cameras.......

Can anyone recommend a nice, easy to use camera, that goes for less than $200 ?

Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
whomario
Pro Starter

Iīve long been a fan of the "Lumix" series by Panasonic, great picture quality and good prices due to "sane" specs on the cameras (f.e. no one needs more than 9 or 10 MP unless they plan on printing pictures as giant ass posters. Iīve been using an 8 MP camera for years when travelling which looks excellent on a big TV, laptop or as photo prints, actually regularly do posters of 60x40 CM)

This one is on sale for 171 (down from 280) on amazon and fits your description pretty well :

Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 10MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Silver): Camera & Photo

it would have a great 12 time zoom starting at wide angle (25mm) which should come in handy for shots covering all the action (and 12 time optical zoom gets plenty close), it has 10 MP (again, thatīs way enough). The parts used are all high quality brands (Lense from Leica f.e.)

got all the automatic and scene modes (like landscape or sports) and an easily usable manual mode as well.

Also does up to 2,5 pictures per second on auto-shoot/burst (multiple pictures in a row), which is outstanding for a compact digital camera. And yeah, for sports pictures thatīs really a key feature

The things your son wants are delivered here in good quality, anything better (faster pictures, more zoom) will cost way,way above 200 and likely wonīt fit into a pocket anymore (if i am not totally out the loop there really isnīt any non-SLR digital camera with more optic zoom available)

so if you are saying 200 is the limit, thatīs as good as it gets imo

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Comey
College Starter

I was going to say the lumix, too. When I get home from the concert I am going to tonight, I will show you pics I have taken with mine. Shoots HD video too.

The...I think it is the zs5...has 16x zoom. It was 225 at best buy. I really want it, though there is another coming out that is more expensive, but awesome.
I am also impressed with the s95. I cannot remember if Sony or canon makes it. But it looks to be feature rich...I saw pics taken with it by people on amazon, and was blown away.

I am also sure I will have to edit this later, but I am in the borders above MSG, waiting to go inside.

Last edited by Comey : 11-13-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Landshark44
High School Varsity

thanks, fellas....

exactly what i needed....
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We always did good selling the Sony H20 series. I'll find the current model. Good lenses and zoom with semi compact form factor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 14.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle Optical Zoom with SteadyShot Image Stabilization and 3.0 inch LCD (Black):Amazon:Camera & Photo

This one. It is the H55 this year. Right at 200. 10X zoom.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm a sucker for Canon's imaging engine and this is their offering of the same style (smaller body not-quite-megazoom):

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD: Camera & Photo

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would also recommend the one SI posted. I think I liked Sony better because of the rechargeable battery.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the downside to the Canon is that it only uses 2 AA batteries. Now, if you get some good rechargeables like I do, you don't worry about chewing through batteries. But 2 lasts for about 200 pictures so it's nice to have a couple of extras handy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
whomario
Pro Starter

the Lumix has a rechargeable Lithium "battery" and a charger for it for what itīs worth.

Canīt go wrong with either camera posted here, i personally just like the Lumix is all
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

We bought this one a while ago and returned it -- felt like it took too long to take pictures.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Comey
College Starter

www.youtube.com/jcomey

Those videos were all taken with my Lumix. The audio's not great...there's a camera that has a studio mic inside it, which should be better.

I have a lot more pictures I can share (as I take a lot of pictures), but this one is my favorite:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...0/P1030752.jpg

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Well, I prefer something in the line of an Nikon 8008..But thats old school and non digital.. Used it for about 6 years taking sports pix and the only time it died was during the Bills-Houston playoff game. Very very rugged in my opinion..
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Iīve long been a fan of the "Lumix" series by Panasonic, great picture quality and good prices due to "sane" specs on the cameras (f.e. no one needs more than 9 or 10 MP unless they plan on printing pictures as giant ass posters. Iīve been using an 8 MP camera for years when travelling which looks excellent on a big TV, laptop or as photo prints, actually regularly do posters of 60x40 CM)

This one is on sale for 171 (down from 280) on amazon and fits your description pretty well :

Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 10MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Silver): Camera & Photo

it would have a great 12 time zoom starting at wide angle (25mm) which should come in handy for shots covering all the action (and 12 time optical zoom gets plenty close), it has 10 MP (again, thatīs way enough). The parts used are all high quality brands (Lense from Leica f.e.)

My wife picked this one out, and is very grateful for the suggestion. She looked everywhere for the lowest price, and couldn't find one anywhere near the one priced in your link. She said all the ones she saw were upwards of $220. So, thanks, and good lookin' out....