Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #501
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Rooting for Old Miss to get beat even worse than the Hogs. That way we won't occupy the recaps all by ourselves.

We play them next week so may be the battle of the whupped.
That's going to be a fun game.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #502
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
. Don't know how Coastal lucked out when they signed this QB, but he has to be the best they have ever had-including the immortal Tyler Thigpen.

Didn't take a ton to get him signed tbh. CC was his only D1 offer besides Army. A consensus 2* that was only ranked 111th among seniors in NC.

Whatever voodoo made him productive at this level, you need to keep making dolls like that.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #503
bob
College Starter

It looks like Dave Braine may have been overly optimistic. Maybe GT is a 3-9 or 2-10 team that will bubble up to 6-6 every once in a while.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Umm ... did the refs just pull an SEC caliber move and screw K-State?

(Specifically, is that even challengable?)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #505
bob
College Starter

What happened?
Old 10-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #506
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Iowa State on pace to score 142 points against Kansas (and we actually had the kickoff)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #507
bob
College Starter

Right now it feels like the playoff should just be Alabama and Georgia playing best 2 out of 3
Old 10-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #508
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Iowa State on pace to score 142 points against Kansas (and we actually had the kickoff)

SI

Welcome to being a Kansas football fan:

Kansas: 3-and-out
Iowa State plays: 17yd, 3, 3, 9, 2, 36-TD
Kansas: -4 and declined penalty, then a fumble where the QB wasn't even hit - he just dropped the ball
Iowa State: 16, 3, 6-TD
Kansas: gets a 1st down, turns it over on downs at their own 44 (loses 1 on 4th and 1)
Iowa State: 44-yard TD pass
Kansas: moves the ball for a few plays, blocked 34 yard FG returned back to the Kansas 22
Iowa State: 10, 15, 0, 7-TD

By the end of the 1st quarter, we've slowed them down so they're only on a 112-point pace

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-02-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #509
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I mean, the variety of our ineptitude is impressive

SI

Old 10-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #510
tarcone
Coordinator

Sounds like GT and Kansas need to get on each others schedule.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #511
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Sounds like GT and Kansas need to get on each others schedule.

Kansas is in a league of their own. Vanderbilt might give them some competition this year however on a year to year basis with their consistency, Kansas is alone.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #512
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Right now it feels like the playoff should just be Alabama and Georgia playing best 2 out of 3

Georgia isn't beating Alabama.

The rest of the season, barring injury, is about who Alabama will beat in the last game.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #513
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We had a decent game with Duke last week. We were actually up 24-21 at halftime but then got crushed in the second half, losing 52-33.

EDIT: Lol - now this looks like I'm making a case for Kansas playing Alabama instead of the silly conversation about football ineptitude from before.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #514
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

How do we know Alabama isn't losing? I mean, they almost lost once already. It's not even that uncommon for it to be 'obvious' via the 'eye test' or some other nation that one team is clearly the best, only to have them not win. We've had teams that people were ready to put in the best of all time conversation that don't even win the national title.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #515
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I mean, the variety of our ineptitude is impressive

Do you have a favorite for worst Kansas team ever, or is it more just the consistency?
Old 10-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #516
GrantDawg

And down goes Florida again. At least they can feel good it was a close loss to Kentucky.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #517
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Georgia isn't beating Alabama.

The rest of the season, barring injury, is about who Alabama will beat in the last game.

If Bama has their usual handful of season ending injuries AND Georgia got healthy on offense, they'd have a chance I believe.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #518
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Maybe. I just think Saban owns Georgia to a degree that they need a lot to go right to be able to win.

Now a QB injury, and anything is possible.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #519
GrantDawg

Anything can happen, but there is no reason to think Georgia can beat Bama unless/until they actually do.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #520
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Now a QB injury, and anything is possible.

I've got more confidence in Bama winning with whoever the hell their backup is than I'd have in Georgia winning with Bennett.

J.T. Daniels may not be the greatest QB in history but he can see over the line of scrimmage.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #521
HerRealName
College Prospect

How is this missed?

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Are they using SEC officials this week?
Old 10-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #523
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Though the more I watch it, the more I wonder if he somehow stayed on his side of the LOS. That DE is a good ways off the ball
Old 10-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #524
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wish I could see what 77 does with his arm. I think he could have been called for a false start.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #525
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm wondering how the Left Tackle miss the rusher
Old 10-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #526
HerRealName
College Prospect

Yeah, I could definitely see a false start on the LG. The no call just seemed crazy watching live. I don't think the CBs right foot ever left the neutral zone.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #527
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looking at where the ball is, seems clear to me that he was offsides. Bad miss.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #528
Edward64
Head Coach

4 of 5 completed throws to the right sideline.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #529
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FSU won't go winless, UK beats UF and Jimbo lost again. I'm calling a wrap on this college football season. See you in 2022.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #530
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FSU won't go winless, UK beats UF and Jimbo lost again. I'm calling a wrap on this college football season. See you in 2022.

And Miami lost last night on a field goal doink. That's basically a perfect weekend.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #531
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And ND lost. Damn! Where's Marshall Applewhite? I'm ready!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #532
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vandy blows an 11 point lead in q4, only to beat UConn on a 31 yd FG as time expires

The kicker? Joseph Bulovas, two year starter at Bama who lost his job after boinking one off the upright in the 2019 Iron Bowl. After seeing no action in 2020, he transferred to Vandy where he's now their fourth kicker since the start of last season
Old 10-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Do you have a favorite for worst Kansas team ever, or is it more just the consistency?

Not really - like I don't know if I could say one was more completely inept or than all the others. What I really am sad about was that Texas and Kansas agreed to not play the final game last year, ostensibly due to COVID, but really due to neither wanting to play the game. If we had lost that game, we would have lost 100 games in a decade and that would have been a "wonderful" milestone to have. The worst of all time is like 84 and we did get 99, but like 100 is such a nice, round number.

This isn't like the Royals where I could pick some choice years (2005? 2006?) and write ballads about it. Hell, Posnanski already did that for me. Also, it's college kids not paid pro athletes. A lot of it is about coaches not putting these kids in a position to succeed. I feel it's wrong to be too rough on them.

It's also such a crazy fall. I mean, I get we're never going to be Oklahoma or whatever. But for the last decade or so it's so much worse than it should be. From 2002-2008, Mangino had them bowling 4 out of 8 years and winning a New Year's Day bowl. It's not impossible here and that's not that long ago. And it's not like Mangino is some hot shot prospect who went on to bigger things or was doing things massively outside the rules (I think he lived in a bit of the grey area that a lot of college recruiting exists in). A decade before, after Glen Mason took a couple of seasons to get it up and running, but then he had season win totals of: 6, 8, 5, 6, 10, and 4. So it doesn't take some super coach to have sustained success. It's not some football hellscape that's totally unwinnable. They just keep making bad choices at head coach (and AD).

Maybe we have the right person in place to help bring this program out of the depths but it's going to take a couple of years. No one's expecting a 12-1 Orange Bowl season like in 2007 - we just want a quasi-respectable P5 program that can go bowling every 2nd or 3rd year and, honestly, I don't think that's too much to ask. They just have to stop screwing up the hires and administration.

SI

Old 10-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #534
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Makes sense, thanks!

Looking ahead, we need to get tarcone on the record. Score prediction for Penn State-Iowa next week?
Old 10-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #535
Edward64
Head Coach

Ranking are not out yet but Hogs falling to 17'ish seems about right to me.

We have Ole Miss & Auburn next. Both of them are winnable. Coming out 2-2 from a 4 game SEC stretch will be nice. I sure wish we had Vandy to play though.

EDIT: CBS has Hogs dropping to #11 from #8. Not sure I buy that. Bleacher Report has Hogs at #9 from #7.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-03-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #536
tarcone
Coordinator

B1G playoff game this weekend. If PsU loses I see 3 more losses. Iowa has no real games on the schedule after this.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #537
Edward64
Head Coach

Nervous about Hogs vs Ole Miss. Pre-season this was a shoe-in for Old Miss. Line is about Ole Miss by 3 right now but can see Hogs winning this.

But obviously Penn State vs Iowa is the game. Hoping for a great game here.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-06-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #538
Thomkal
Head Coach

#15 Coastal Carolina gets an early start this week, traveling to Arkansas State tonight at 7:30 on ESPN 2. The Chants could become the first Bowl-eligible team with a win tonight, and given that Ark State is approaching nearly historic bad numbers on defense, I don't think the Chants will have much problem achieving that. That said two areas of concern:

1) They did not play their best football in their first road game to Buffalo, so they need to show the dominance they have at home.

2) QB Grayson McCall actually had a walking boot on after the game last week due to a teammate rolling his ankle,, and might not have played in the second half unless needed.Coach says he's fine though so I'm hoping for a repeat of the last two weeks where he can come out of the game at halftime and get some extra rest.

I think its possible for the Chants to put up over 60 points in this one if they are ready to play on the road.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #539
BYU 14
Coordinator

I really wish BYU could have worked out a home and home with them, and played this season too. Though obviously that would entail buying out a team, which BYU could have probably swung getting rid of Idaho state.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #540
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I really wish BYU could have worked out a home and home with them, and played this season too. Though obviously that would entail buying out a team, which BYU could have probably swung getting rid of Idaho state.

Me too, after the circumstances that brought about the first game, they deserve to have a home and home. Maybe someday it will work out. Meanwhile Coastal recently announced a three game series with Virginia
Old 10-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #541
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Me too, after the circumstances that brought about the first game, they deserve to have a home and home. Maybe someday it will work out. Meanwhile Coastal recently announced a three game series with Virginia

That's a good series, UVA will be well coached with Bronco, though he needs to up the skill level of recruits to sustain any type of consistent success.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #542
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal leads 24-0 at the half including a sweet TD from our goaline where McCall found the receiver wide open behind the defense, a 99 yard TD.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #543
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Coastal leads 24-0 at the half including a sweet TD from our goaline where McCall found the receiver wide open behind the defense, a 99 yard TD.

Arkansas State almost looked like another team when their backup QB came in the second half and threw the first passing TD's Coastal has given up all season, but Coastal still dominated winning 52-20.

QB McCall had a career high 365 yards passing and maybe the best TE in the country Isaiah Likely caught 232 of them and 4 TD
Old 10-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #544
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kansas opened up as 5 point underdogs to BYE this week, but the smart money has moved the line so we're only expected to lose by 3.

SI

Old 10-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #545
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Kansas opened up as 5 point underdogs to BYE this week, but the smart money has moved the line so we're only expected to lose by 3.

SI

Go Bye! Sorry couldn't resist. Glad to see how you still have some humor over Kansas woes, must be very hard to stay a fan
Old 10-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #546
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was raised a Cubs fan. I started following the Royals when I lived in KC to the point where they are my primary team now and they had 1 winning season in the 12 years I lived there. Watching losing sports teams is very comfortable to me - the gallows humor is fun. This is, of course, so long as it's not completely hopeless or an excuse to go "hey, only large market teams should win so we'll create a broken system". It also makes things like the Royals 2014-2015 World Series run or the 2008 Orange Bowl season (ok, 2007 season but bowl was in 2008) so much more sweet. And it's not like all of my teams are awful, obviously KU basketball is elite. The Rockets won 2 titles when I was growing up and were a Chris Paul injury away from winning one a couple of years ago against an "unbeatable" Warriors team. Growing up, the Oilers were good, albeit heartbreakers, until they left town and now I don't have an NFL team (screw you, Bud Adams).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-09-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #547
tarcone
Coordinator

I am very excited. Biggest game in Iowa City since 1985 when the #1 Hawks beat the #2 Wolverines.

I talked to my nephew whose in-laws have tickets on the 50 yard line 17 rows up. But they sold the tickets. We found a couple in the nose bleed, but we passed.

Hawks by a million

Old 10-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #548
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The game against Michigan State in Dec 2015 just an afterthought now?

EDIT: You said in Iowa City I guess

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-09-2021 at 11:00 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #549
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs able to run well against Ole Miss. Always a good sign. Using our big running QB a little too much, don't want to get him hurt.

7-0 Hogs.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There are many questions available on a college football Saturday.

Among them is "how in the world does Marcus Satterfield have a job at a P5 school?"

South Carolina approaching Vandy levels