Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What is the best Sports-Sim Series of a Text-Based Persuasion?
Front Office Football 11 13.75%
Football Manager 46 57.50%
Out of the Park 19 23.75%
Trout Fisherman 2000 0 0%
Other (Write below) 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Best Text-Based Sports-Sim Series of All Time

So what is your favorite!!!!! What's the best series of all time?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

1. Football manager The oldest, and the best. 25+ years of games
2. OOTP. Another series that has survived the test of time, while it still has some issues, it's miles ahead of any other baseball sim out there.
3. FOFC Great series of games, but its text sim roots really show at times, much less "accessible" then the other two games.

3 really awesome games mind you.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

All great sims, but there is still quite a distance between Football Manager and the rest of the field IMO.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FM is the gold standard, hands down, zero question in my mind.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm voting DDS: Pro Basketball here, probably because basketball is my favorite sport, which just gives it the edge over Football Manager for me personally.

I still think OOTP never recovered from their SI move. Great for publicity and sales, but the game got worse the first version after 6.5, and has stagnated since then.

FOF is great, but I'd put it a step below DDS:PB and FM.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

FM is obviously the standard bearer. FOFC has progressed nicely over the years. OOTP is a waste of time and money at this point.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

FBCB and FBB. I've spent more time on this series than any other combined.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

My favorite isn't the best and vice versa. But my vote had to go to FOF. It's the only one, albeit just in multiplayer-mode, I keep playing and want to keep playing.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Honestly, I haven't gotten over the promise of FPS Baseball. But in terms of sheer replayability, Baseball Mogul was the thing that got me really into text sims. OOTP solidified it and FOF was a nice addition, even if i don't know football like that.

Fast Break College Basketball probably my #1, though. Just in terms of depth and relative ease. FM is obviously the king of the roost otherwise, even as it's very frustrating at times.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Honestly, I haven't gotten over the promise of FPS Baseball. But in terms of sheer replayability, Baseball Mogul was the thing that got me really into text sims. OOTP solidified it and FOF was a nice addition, even if i don't know football like that.

Fast Break College Basketball probably my #1, though. Just in terms of depth and relative ease. FM is obviously the king of the roost otherwise, even as it's very frustrating at times.

My dream scenario is a sim basketball universe that combines the engine, trading, and UI of DDS:CB/DDS:PB with the recruiting, ease of use, and customization of FBCB/FBB.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 04-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I've played all three over the years and enjoyed them all. If you are talking right now, which game is best, then:

1) OOTP by a long way now

2) FOF8 even if outdated, it is not all that outdated compared to FM.

3) FM was the standard bearer, however it came up lame in version FM14 and has done nothing to recover. I'm not tempted to buy/play it any more now.

While FOF needs an interface overhaul, FM needs a game engine overhaul based on modern statistical input. They need to junk the hideous morale-based system which has irked me from the get-go. There is a load of new statistical data out there, and they need to get that incorporated fast.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My dream scenario is a sim basketball universe that combines the engine, trading, and UI of DDS:CB/DDS:PB with the recruiting, ease of use, and customization of FBCB/FBB.

Yes, that would work for me, too. Fast Break is simple to play, however I've gotten it 'figured out' so it is no longer as interesting. I bought the recent version of DDS Pro ball, and while the lack of a manual hurt, I'm starting to enjoy it again.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
FM is obviously the standard bearer. FOFC has progressed nicely over the years. OOTP is a waste of time and money at this point.

Pretty much me, too, with the caveat that I love and understand American football so much more (and I stick with my view that it structurally makes for the perfect management sim) that I am way, way, way committed to the FOF series.

I have loved the CM/FM series when I have played it, but nothing "gets" me like FOF, not even close.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My ultimate would be a combination FM and FOF where you could see the game unfold in front of you (ala FBP back in the day).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm voting DDS: Pro Basketball here, probably because basketball is my favorite sport,.

I will say Gary is pushing for inclusion in this list as the last two versions of both his BB games are amazing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

FBCB
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

1. OOTP for me. Grew up playing Strat in the late 60's to the late 80's. Back then I'd have settled for a game that would keep stats and standings as I never dreamed a game would have players age, retire, replaced with a draft, and all of the history kept for the league.

Everything else is a distant second as my available gaming time has been directed to other things. Having said that I often think about the others and trying to make time for one or two.

2. FM I'll put at 2 even though I don't think I'll play it again. It's so time intensive for me as I have to watch my complete matches. I know if I grew up in Europe watching football it would be number 1. It is the reason I am a football fan that's a hell of an accomplishment for a computer game

3. FOF8 I still spend time with it and like the direction Jim took with it.

4. DDSPBB I haven't even tried the new game with it's team building IE making sure guys fit well together. But my last version before was very good and I think this is maybe where I should go as the idea is intriguing. Then I think of the time sink and will I actually find the time to play it once I have it?

5. FBCB It is so good at what it does and sucks me in with it's simplicity that really isn't simple at all.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

FM 2014 had me hooked for awhile, but the magic has worn off for me with that series. Feels a lot less scientific and more RNG than it used to.

For sheer hours played, FBCB is a clear #1 for me. I haven't touched it in awhile because of the big guy issue (too many low ins/shot high rebs PF/Cs who average 4ppg and 10rpg). The latest Draft Day Sports College game is pretty solid and my fave DDS game to date, although I'd prefer the recruiting in the offseason was monthly to make it less of a grind.
I think the fact that NBA 2K has a pretty decent sim engine has dampened my enjoyment of text sims in general though.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont understand FM. But I bet it would be great.

I picked OOTP. Love that game and series.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

FM by far. I get that it's difficult for people and I don't feel like they've done that much but I also can't see arguing for OOTP for those exact same reasons
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote