Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #7801
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Mine, too. And I had already stopped following the real Trump crazy. These are the more moderate Trump people. They all have attacked the election in the last few days, and are now going to that other sight. I think people on this board is underestimating the number of people that are believing this election was stolen. This is not going to end quietly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-09-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #7802
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Mine, too. And I had already stopped following the real Trump crazy. These are the more moderate Trump people. They all have attacked the election in the last few days, and are now going to that other sight. I think people on this board is underestimating the number of people that are believing this election was stolen. This is not going to end quietly.

Pretty good chunk of Democrats believed the 2016 election was rigged by the Russians. Most Republicans believed Obama wasn't born in this country and legally could not hold office. Yes this is worse but it's par for the course too in modern day politics.

Most of those people going to Parler will be back. The whole point of social media these days is to attack people and there aren't many targets on Parler. FFS the people who own is post more on Twitter than Parler.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #7803
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Like everything else Democrat, we'll talk about it for awhile and actually do nothing. We're essentially the Susan Collins of political parties.

How many 'centrist' Democrats really want Pelosi gone though? I doubt it's that many.

It's really the left that wants her gone.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #7804
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Not good. Not good at all.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #7805
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also I've watched CNN for decades. They've never broadcast every single daily WH press briefing and have cut away from press briefings plenty of times well before Trump (granted this is Fox News, but I'm providing some context).
Old 11-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #7806
GrantDawg

That's what I am saying, Ben. And I believe that number may be light.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #7807
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That's true, but IMO besides the point. Is it ok for a news network to not broadcast a Biden press conference because they think what he's saying isn't true? Is it the job of the news media to tell people what to think, or to report the news and let people decide for themselves? Remember we're talking specifically about news media here, not editorials/talking heads.

Again, report, not broadcast. The News part here is that his press secretary claimed XYZ. The press conference itself ? That's just the chosen/agreed upon format to inform the press. I might be off, but: they are not all broadcast live by all channels, right ? There is a degree of deciding which are shown and which aren't ?

I really hardly see it as a necessity for the democratic process. Again, i definitely realise it is american tradition and recognize that we in Germany (for obvious reasons) came to a very different understanding of the role that live broadcast 'performance' via broadcast has to play in the democratic process as such.

But maybe it's at least prudent to ask some questions about what type of role it should play in the US. Is it to inform americans or is it to broadcast the White House performance when it pleases them ? I think it's unhealthy to either side to be beholden to the other like that (media/politics). Them both being somewhat dependent on the other imo serves a purpose, so when you have one do whatever the hell they please in terms of conventions/give and take* and the other just play along i find that problematic. Just as i (and the media) found it problematic when the Obama admin limited photographic access and other blocking tactics.

Propaganda replacing Information isn't a trivial problem for a democracy any more than censorship is.

* I mean, has everybody forgotten all the Shit the Trump admin pulled like excluding Journalists from "press gaggles" and briefings or themselves banning TV cameras and live Audio from press briefings ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #7808
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought for sure they'd file something somewhere today as a "put up or shut up" move to get some momentum, but why show your cards (assuming you have any) if you can get half the country on your side by making allegations? As long as 90% of the elected officials in your party are not foreclosing the possibility of fraud, why shouldt those who follow the party break ranks with the party leaders?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-09-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #7809
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They get MI and PA, Trump "wins."

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #7810
Jas_lov
College Starter

And Kemp will do it in GA. We're heading down a very dangerous path.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #7811
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In GA, though the SecState (who is a Republican) is standing up to a lot of this fraud stuff... which has led to Sen Perdue and Sen Loeffer to call for his resignation.

I think in Michigan and Wisconsin they would do it as well. Because I think those SecStates realize by doing it, they are basically signing off on a literal Civil War (if it happens, I can easily imagine California, NY and other blue states deciding to secede).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-09-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #7812
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario
report, not broadcast. The News part here is that his press secretary claimed XYZ. The press conference itself ? That's just the chosen/agreed upon format to inform the press. I might be off, but: they are not all broadcast live by all channels, right ? There is a degree of deciding which are shown and which aren't ?

You're right, but in this case this issue is deciding not to broadcast it for the express reason of not believing what they say. If we accept it is ok for the media to do that, they can also do it on an issue that we think is true and vital.

Quote:
I mean, has everybody forgotten all the Shit the Trump admin pulled like excluding Journalists from "press gaggles" and briefings or themselves banning TV cameras and live Audio from press briefings ?

No, I thought it was wrong then, I think it was wrong now, I made reference to that as one of my biggest issues with Trump in one of the other threads ... I don't know anyone on this forum who thinks that was ok.

Quote:
Propaganda replacing Information isn't a trivial problem for a democracy any more than censorship is.

That's the rub though. Who gets to decide what is propaganda and what is important news? I'm not saying they should play it and then not challenge in any way what was said. Broadcasting what actually happened is more credible that reporting it on it without broadcasting it, because you're getting it firsthand not secondhand. After that you can have the usual commentary between people who agree/disagree, present different points of view, and so on. But when you preempt that by just saying 'they're wrong so we're not even going to show it to you and give you the option', then the media have become the propagandists.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #7813
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup

This is the point where we find out what we're made of. I don't think they'll be able to get states to go along with this, but if we do the systems is really that broken already.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #7814
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
In GA, though the SecState (who is a Republican) is standing up to a lot of this fraud stuff... which has led to Sen Perdue and Sen Loeffer to call for his resignation.

I think in Michigan and Wisconsin they would do it as well. Because I think those SecStates realize by doing it, they are basically signing off on a literal Civil War (if it happens, I can easily imagine California, NY and other blue states deciding to secede).

Wisconsin law doesn't allow it. The electors are legally required to vote for who won the popular vote and state legislature plays no role in the process. I believe Pennsylvania is similar, but I'm not certain.

I honestly think this is mostly bluster and is more about undermining the Biden administration from the start. They're going to kick and scream about a rigged election to excite the base, get turnout in Georgia, and then use the election as justification for blocking anything dems want to do.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-09-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #7815
kingfc22
Head Coach

This is all just depressing that we let a single con man destroy our country.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #7816
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My wife's FB feed is just a steady stream of people posting their new Parler accounts.

they will find it as enticing as Google Plus (RIP)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #7817
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
This is all just depressing that we let a single con man destroy our country.

This is exactly where I am with all of this. We all knew this was going to happen from the White House, but to have high ranking officials support this craziness is really surprising and depressing.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #7818
Atocep
Coordinator

My wife's family are all moving to Parler. Her step dad had his facebook account deleted after a countless number of temp bans. He would laugh about the bans and the stupid shit he would post to own the libs that resulted in the bans, but when his account was deleted he posted about how facebook won't tell him why his account was deleted and about how he lost his work calendar with appointments. Just completely playing dumb and trying to play the victim card.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-09-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #7819
molson
General Manager

I have to remember to thank my girlfriend's family for being awesome. I have no looney exposure. Though, it does make those people seem less human to me. Like they're fictional villains.

Edit: The closest I get is comments I see on my friends' posts, from their family and friends. I remember one last week about how Hillary Clinton started a Marxist Lesbian revolution that included paying Colin Kaepernick to kneel.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #7820
Izulde
Head Coach

An associate of mine posted today asking for information about Parler to see if he should start a business page/account there as well. He stays away from politics, so this was a perfectly innocent question.

It turned into a shitstorm in less than 5 posts. He ended up saying he regretted even asking and did a lot of deleting (though I'm not sure if that was just deleting status/comments or unfriending people as well). Very frustrating experience for him.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #7821
Atocep
Coordinator

Doesn't the Parler user agreement require you to pay legal expenses in the event they're sued because of content you posted?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #7822
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Doesn't the Parler user agreement require you to pay legal expenses in the event they're sued because of content you posted?

Hey, they claim to be the party of personal responsibility, so seems fitting that they would be required to pay for dumb stuff that they do.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #7823
Drake
assmaster

I'm happy for folks to go to Parler.

They've been complaining about censorship on social media for years. Let's see what happens when they've got their own platform. I mean, I think they'll devolve into 8kun batshittery pretty quickly, but I'm a fan of having all the crazies in one box.

Everyone knows that it's 100x easier to keep a cat in a box than it is to try to herd them.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #7824
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They've been complaining about censorship on social media for years. Let's see what happens when they've got their own platform. I mean, I think they'll devolve into 8kun batshittery pretty quickly, but I'm a fan of having all the crazies in one box.

Everyone knows that it's 100x easier to keep a cat in a box than it is to try to herd them.

I dunno - I think radicalization is a real danger. But I'm certain that was already happening.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 11-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #7825
molson
General Manager

I'm listening to an audiobook about a woman who went under cover into the white supremacy chat rooms and boards. There's also kind of an analysis of how those people find each other and evolve their views. In their own safe space, it grows more rapidly and becomes more extreme. But I don't think that that necessarily means that the "right" thing to do is normalize their views on Facebook and other mainstream outlets. I'm not sure there's an "answer" at all, except fighting them at every turn and trying to prevent them from gaining power.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #7826
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

It's literally ISIS 101 on how to radicalize and recruit extremists to your cause.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #7827
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I dunno - I think radicalization is a real danger. But I'm certain that was already happening.

SI

I also agree with this 100%. I think it's a coin flip between mass radicalization and the party splintering itself into its own set of purity tests.

I had conservative friends whose judgment I would have otherwise trusted posting articles from The Gateway Pundit on social media today. I'm talking educated people who should be able to track down reliable source data and interpret it.

And I'm like, "What the fuck are you thinking?"

The problem is, I've seen this shit before. My ex-wife was bipolar. I got pretty accustomed to dealing with someone who had a labile grip on reality. What I'm seeing right now reminds me so much of that long, slow slide into delusion that is simultaneously a slow-motion sort of inevitable slide and an explosive collapse of reason all at once. I used to say to my ex, "Hey, I'm worried about you. Hey, you seem to be making some decisions that are out of character for you. Hey, you don't seem to be thinking clearly. Hey, I made an appointment with your psychiatrist. I think you should all have a chat." And then out of nowhere it's, "Oh, you broke into a drug dealer's house and stole his car to protect the kids in the neighborhood."

This feels a lot like that. I think the right has been going slowly crazy for the last four years, and now they're about to have their psychotic break.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #7828
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I had conservative friends whose judgment I would have otherwise trusted posting articles from The Gateway Pundit on social media today. I'm talking educated people who should be able to track down reliable source data and interpret it.
Yup. I don’t care if the folks who were already 85% Qanon go over to Parler. My concern is for the people who—as recently as last week—most everyone would have considered somewhere between center right and staunch-but-reasonable conservative. People who had social media feeds that weren’t echo chambers, that were having reasonable back and forths with left-leaning family and friends. It seems like some of *those* folks are going to end up radicalized if fed a steady diet of nothing but information coming from FAR-right sources.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #7829
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

He needs a third state. MI (16)and PA (20) gets him to 268
Old 11-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #7830
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He needs a third state. MI (16)and PA (20) gets him to 268

Wisconsin or Georgia recount going his way would do it.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #7831
GrantDawg

Georgia will be the third state.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #7832
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is the point where we find out what we're made of. I don't think they'll be able to get states to go along with this, but if we do the systems is really that broken already.

And then what do we do?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #7833
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

We have a full-on Constitutional crisis and we find out if America really has the stomach for civil war (we don't). Unlimited options at that point; the military removing Trump from office by force or supporting his stay, the former I think. But ultimately if it's that broken, Trump is the least of our problems. If we can't agree to a reasonable transition of power then the republic falls instead of waiting a while longer and then falling.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #7834
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
We have a full-on Constitutional crisis and we find out if America really has the stomach for civil war (we don't). Unlimited options at that point; the military removing Trump from office by force or supporting his stay, the former I think. But ultimately if it's that broken, Trump is the least of our problems. If we can't agree to a reasonable transition of power then the republic falls instead of waiting a while longer and then falling.

If that happens and the republic fails those oh so valuable 401ks drop to pocket change as the US loses the honor of the dollar being the gold standard currency. I am surprised by some democrats that brush this off as just posturing by Trump. Maybe it is but the danger of a miscalculation (Democrat’s never do that) is too great a risk if we are wrong. I feel like We are in the Batman Dark Knight Rises movie and Bane and the Arkham criminals are in charge of Gotham City now.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-09-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #7835
molson
General Manager

I wonder if the Republicans are setting up some king of negotiation for a transfer of lower. Have a bunch of legal, political, and criminal sticks in the fire, with an offer to drop it all and have Trump leave if the Dems agree to....something. Dems would probably go for it.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #7836
Drake
assmaster

The thing that impresses me the most about Tucker Carlson is his ability to be both completely reasonable and batshit crazy in consecutive sentences.

Tucker: We heard you. It’s hard to trust anything. Here’s what we know. - YouTube

Love him or hate him, he's really good at his job.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #7837
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
This is exactly where I am with all of this. We all knew this was going to happen from the White House, but to have high ranking officials support this craziness is really surprising and depressing.
And the con man isn't even doing it because he wants to be president. He doesn't. He'd be happy to go back to golfing. There's no grand principle or crucial second-term goal here. It's just that his ego can't handle losing, so a whole country is going to (potentially) flush its system down the drain just to protect one dude's feelings.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #7838
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Trump up to 15 cents on Predict It.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #7839
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Trump up to 15 cents on Predict It.

Free Money...Them markets on predictit are great.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #7840
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Time for the Republican party to sink or swim. They need to fix this before it gets more messy. Think about the 2024 election and dont waste key votes on an election you already lost defending a nutcase.

Why they have any loyalty to the Dumptrain is stunning. All he does is shit on most of them.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #7841
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Time for the Republican party to sink or swim. They need to fix this before it gets more messy. Think about the 2024 election and dont waste key votes on an election you already lost defending a nutcase.

Why they have any loyalty to the Dumptrain is stunning. All he does is shit on most of them.

Because he's taken over the party and going against him is a political death sentence for any vulnerable GOP member of congress. If he had been trounced and someone like a Linsey Graham had lost their seat it'd be different, but Trump expanding the base to pull in black males and doing fairly well with Latinos is going to feed Trump's power within the party.

This is very likely entirely about Georgia and setting the foundation to go after tougher voter ID laws, ect. Undermining Biden's Presidency from the start is a bonus.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #7842
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Free Money...Them markets on predictit are great.

Yeah, if Trump somehow wins from here, then the world burns. Who gives a shit about money in that scenario?

Old 11-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #7843
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Because he's taken over the party and going against him is a political death sentence for any vulnerable GOP member of congress. If he had been trounced and someone like a Linsey Graham had lost their seat it'd be different, but Trump expanding the base to pull in black males and doing fairly well with Latinos is going to feed Trump's power within the party.

This is very likely entirely about Georgia and setting the foundation to go after tougher voter ID laws, ect. Undermining Biden's Presidency from the start is a bonus.

I mean your points are very valid and very likely correct.

I see it as defending a two time popular vote loser and also causing you and your party to lose more of them in between voters because of the lack of trust the party will have if they dont willingly give the concession to Biden.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #7844
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The head of the Election Crime unit at DoJ resigned because Barr's policy,

Quote:
abrogating the forty-year-old Non-Interference Policy.

They probably won't get away with it, but we're heading down a dark path right now. Now would be a good time for the four GOP Senators that have accepted the election results to force McConnell's hand a bit.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #7845
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah, if Trump somehow wins from here, then the world burns. Who gives a shit about money in that scenario?

He doesn't have to win, it just has to get ugly enough for that price to go up more and sell at a profit. Seems like a decent bet.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #7846
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He doesn't have to win, it just has to get ugly enough for that price to go up more and sell at a profit. Seems like a decent bet.

I more meant that this is a reason to bet Biden, because his price is getting so low.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #7847
kingfc22
Head Coach

How many more days of this nonsense before the stock market reacts? Thursday? Friday?

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-09-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #7848
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
How many more days of this nonsense before the stock market reacts? Thursday? Friday?

Yeah that is what I am wondering too.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #7849
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm trying to think of a realistic scenario if Trump did steal it. Talk of states seceding are bluster, I think. Not that California wouldn't seriously attempt it, but realistically it's a legal pipe dream and 270 million is still a lot more than 40 million. There would be protests in the street for the better part of a year making BLM look like childs play (especially if we start to get a handle on COVID in January) and serious civil unrest, but I don't think that really moves the needle. Countries that dislike Trump will still dislike Trump but will rely on American trade and business just as much as they did before.

I don't think unions have enough skin in the game to make a dent with nationwide strikes (and you'd probably find in some the majority of their members are Trump supporters anyway). Maybe you get a few principled mega businesses move operations to Canada or overseas, but they are all beholden to shareholders and could never pull out of the US market without immediately killing themselves either. Lots of people go home to their original countries or try to move abroad, but then hey, that's a net positive in this scenario to the perpetrators anyway.

I guess you are hoping the military rises up as one and deposes him, but then are they willing to fight in the streets? And while the Joint Chiefs think Trump is a buffoon are they really willing to see a literal civil war play out if they oppose him?

So outside of massive protests on a scale the world probably hasn't seen and a lot of upheaval, what exactly terrifies me if I'm Mitch McConnell looking at this in early December 2020 deciding whether to throw the weight of the GOP behind an attempt to just reverse results in a few key states? I mean if you just don't accept election results in 2020 we aren't having free and fair elections in 2022 or 2024 anyway, so fuck it right?
Old 11-10-2020, 05:26 AM   #7850
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice thought exercise here.

If it was 270-268 I would be worried about some shenanigan's (e.g. faithless electors) but it's all drama, distraction, conspiracy theories etc.

The focus should be on the 2 GA senate races (and AK?) and how to give Biden 2 good years.
Closed Thread