Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #4101
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What you are listing as "merit" is only a fraction of the process when admission officers of elite schools evaluate who is accepted. There isn't a "line" of accomplishments that everyone above gets in and everyone below isn't. Elite schools goal in admissions is to include a diverse body of students, not just a cookie cutter "fit into this mold." No one gets in that is not "qualified", but many that may be "qualified" do not get in. Liberal Arts colleges believe in a holistic approach in acceptance, which means personality and drive will mean as much or more than a SAT score. As matter of fact, most schools are no longer going to take SAT/ACT scores in to account starting next year.

I think the fact they weigh too highly things like "legacies" and fund-raising is a real problem. Making sure their student body is diverse is not.

Good point about the broader diversity. Admittedly I was focused on racial diversity only because we were discussing about asian americans. Harvard is making ACT/SAT optional this cycle because of covid and will do away with ACT/SAT in 2025.

No real idea if eliminating ACT/SAT will help or hurt asian american % at Harvard.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #4102
JPhillips
General Manager

Just saw this headline:

State auditor finds that UC Berkeley gave preferential admissions to the children of wealthy donors over low-income students with more competitive applications
Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #4103
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
GWB was a shit student, but also became the President. Grades aren't a perfect predictor of outcomes.

Exactly. I got great grades in college!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #4104
JPhillips
General Manager

He's telling us exactly what's going to happen.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #4105
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm just here to vote for Moose Waffle

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #4106
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote | TheHill

Quote:
Billionaire Michael Bloomberg has reportedly raised more than $16 million in an effort to help convicted felons in Florida register to vote.

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition estimated Bloomberg's fundraising push has already paid off monetary obligations for 32,000 felons, Axios reported.

Bloomberg money being put to really good use (countering DeSantis's fuckery)
Old 09-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #4107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When I saw him say he was going to spend $100M in advertising in Florida, I thought it could be better used buying out felon poll taxes. I'm glad to see that was part of the plan.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #4108
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote | TheHill

Bloomberg money being put to really good use (countering DeSantis's fuckery)

Smart move. Paying off the poll tax is a better use of money than some TV ads.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #4109
RainMaker
General Manager

Why are they hiding Harris? She is a good talker. One of the good parts of bringing in a former prosecutor is they can make a good case for your ticket. Such an odd move.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #4110
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Some really good polls for Trump out this morning in FL and AZ showing him with slight leads among likely voters. An A+ pollster, too, according to 538.

Not what I wanted to see.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #4111
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump campaign definitely planning to steal the election.

eit: More from that article. Shocking that a state party chair would say this on the record.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-23-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #4112
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you are a "source[] in the Republican Party at the state and national levels" and you are for this, then why would you talk to a journalist about it?

And if you are a "source[] in the Republican Party at the state and national levels," who is against this, then why are you speaking off the record? Why aren't you bringing recorders into these meetings and shouting it from the rooftops publicly?

This weird "I'm having trouble sleeping at night. But I won't do anything to make it right. I'll just talk off the record to assuage my guilt" thing is really starting to piss me off.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-23-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #4113
Galaril
Pro Starter

The debate, which will be held on Sept. 29 in Cleveland, will feature six 15-minute segments dedicated to the following topics: The Trump and Biden records, the Supreme Court, Covid-19, the economy, race and violence in American cities and the integrity of the election.

the Trump and Biden records- slight edge Biden
the Supreme Court- even (depends on which team you are on)
Covid-19, - Edge Biden
Economy- Advantage Trump
Race and violence in American cities - Edge Biden (Closer than it should be due to painting the protests as only Antifa anarchists by Trumpers)
Integrity of the election - Edge Biden
Old 09-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #4114
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Trump campaign definitely planning to steal the election.

eit: More from that article. Shocking that a state party chair would say this on the record.

because taking away the power of the people to vote won't cause people to lose faith or anything
Old 09-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #4115
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
because taking away the power of the people to vote won't cause people to lose faith or anything

I also read this type of rumors or facts whichever has started to spook the stock market. If Trump was to actually go ahead with stealing the election I am betting the market drops bigtime.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #4116
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Trump is running ads trying to double down on the Biden is senile stuff by saying he's nothing without a teleprompter. Didn't they try this with Obama and it backfired spectacularly?

I mean how can no one see when it turns out not only can Biden think on his feet, but do so well, in the debate next week, it's going to backfire massively on Trump.

Sure they have the 'he's hopped up on drugs' card, but that's even more desperate.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #4117
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
The debate, which will be held on Sept. 29 in Cleveland, will feature six 15-minute segments dedicated to the following topics: The Trump and Biden records, the Supreme Court, Covid-19, the economy, race and violence in American cities and the integrity of the election.

Chris Wallace will grill both of them. It should be a real train-wreck. We already know Trump will give disjointed rants and change the subject mid-sentence. Biden will not have the benefit of reading a scripted message from a teleprompter with multiple takes to get it just right, and he's not going to come across well either.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #4118
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

the Trump and Biden records- slight edge Biden
the Supreme Court- even (depends on which team you are on)
Covid-19, - Edge Biden
Economy- Advantage Trump
Race and violence in American cities - Edge Biden (Closer than it should be due to painting the protests as only Antifa anarchists by Trumpers)
Integrity of the election - Edge Biden

Sounds about right to me. I think you should also add "Presentation/Presence". I'd give it to Biden but Trump could surprise and/or Biden could stumble.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #4119
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why does Trump have the edge on economy? Are we just supposed to ignore the 8 months leading up to the election?

"yeah honey, I know I just slept with a tranny hooker, but I was faithful to you the first 8 years of our marriage."
Old 09-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #4120
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Trump is running ads trying to double down on the Biden is senile stuff by saying he's nothing without a teleprompter. Didn't they try this with Obama and it backfired spectacularly?

It is stupid.

But if you had to put some "why might you do this?" thought into it, I think that

(1) You don't lie to be believed. You lie to be repeated.

(2) We are all thinking that people will see Biden not be senile and have this "OMG, Trump was lying?!" moment. But that won't happen. How many times in the last 12 years have we seen actual seen-it-with-your-own-eyes reality conflict with GOP spin and have people still believe the GOP spin? How many Americans think COVID isn't real (not just not a big deal, but an actual hoax)? How many think that Trump has built the wall and made Mexico pay for it? How many think that Obama is a Muslim?

It is really a stretch to think that a lot of people will totally ignore the evidence in front of them?

(3) You are priming the media to spin any ambiguity your way. If Biden gives a really coherent and complex two minute answer to a foreign policy question, but he slightly mispronounces "Uzbekistan" in the middle of it, then the takeaway will be "Grandpa needs his pills!"

As someone who wants Trump to lose the election, my best hope isn't that Biden does well. The "well of course, Biden did well. He's a great debater" turnaround by the GOP spin machine (which will be credibly reported by the media) will dull any effects of that.

My hope is that Trump, having been coddled by his handlers for the last 4 years, has lost the ability to do this well and actually manages to fuck up in a way that somehow penetrates through to people.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-23-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #4121
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Biden will not have the benefit of reading a scripted message from a teleprompter with multiple takes to get it just right, and he's not going to come across well either.

Honest question. Why do you think he will do worse in these debates than in the primary debates?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #4122
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Honest question. Why do you think he will do worse in these debates than in the primary debates?

Of the 2, I think Trump needs a teleprompter more just to stay on track and not turn away voters. The whole Biden teleprompter thing is surreal. He made it through the debates while getting stronger in each one. He was great in the town hall. Trump was awful in the 2016 debates and awful in his town hall.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #4123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Of the 2, I think Trump needs a teleprompter more just to stay on track and not turn away voters. The whole Biden teleprompter thing is surreal. He made it through the debates while getting stronger in each one. He was great in the town hall. Trump was awful in the 2016 debates and awful in his town hall.

Biden's best debate was against Sanders! Sanders fans were giddy thinking that now it was one-on-one, Bernie would destroy old demented Joe Biden... and Biden won that debate!

It's really strange that Trump is trying to make this attack. It's not like Trump is Ted Cruz or something. Trump rambles and says bizarre answers when not tied to a teleprompter.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #4124
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

This and you know which one is going to be better prepared. Trumps short attention span is well documented and you know he will just spout general talking points, that will become more outrageous the further he deviates from anything his team prepares.

Biden, I would hope, will be armed with more actual facts to counter this nonsense and hopefully he stays on track, which I think he will based on his experience.

In the end, i really don't see the debates changing very many minds unless one or the other has either a once in lifetime performance, or flames out in spectacular fashion. And the best chance I see for that is Trump doing the latter, especially if Wallace holds his feet to the fire on some of his bullshit.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #4125
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

I don't think he did particularly well in the primary debates. He was somewhat insulated by sharing the stage with multiple opponents and the short time limit on responses. Regardless, he still provided a good amount of fodder for Steven Colbert and other comedians.

There's no question that the Joe Biden of the 1980's and 1990's was an excellent debater. Razor sharp, and he could think and respond on the fly. The Joe Biden of 2020, not so much. As he's aged, he's also developed a short fuse that periodically rears its ugly head at town hall meetings and interviews, where he lashes out at the questioner. Yes, Trump does the same thing, but it's expected, or "the norm" for him. With Biden, it's out of character. I think the Trump operatives are going to make a concerted effort to get Biden rattled, whether it succeeds or not remains to be seen.

I think Biden's age has significantly affected his memory and ability to articulate coherent responses. I know most folks on the forum do not agree with that assessment. I don't know if Biden will have a James Stockdale type moment (where the latter responded that he didn't have his hearing aid turned on in the 1992 debates), but I wouldn't rule that out either.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #4126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My hope is that Trump, having been coddled by his handlers for the last 4 years, has lost the ability to do this well and actually manages to fuck up in a way that somehow penetrates through to people.

The dude is literally on tape saying he downplayed the virus. I don't think anything he says on a debate stage is going to move the needle.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #4127
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

I think Biden's age has significantly affected his memory and ability to articulate coherent responses. I know most folks on the forum do not agree with that assessment. I don't know if Biden will have a James Stockdale type moment (where the latter responded that he didn't have his hearing aid turned on in the 1992 debates), but I wouldn't rule that out either.

This is such horseshit. There is ample evidence that none of this is true and also ample evidence that these charges are coordinated disinformation.

Just tell us why you think Trump is better and stop trying to convince us that you have no choice.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #4128
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is such horseshit. There is ample evidence that none of this is true and also ample evidence that these charges are coordinated disinformation.

Just tell us why you think Trump is better and stop trying to convince us that you have no choice.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #4129
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

What people though? Like, what kind of fuck up are you envisioning that makes a difference?
Old 09-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #4130
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Why does Trump have the edge on economy? Are we just supposed to ignore the 8 months leading up to the election?

"yeah honey, I know I just slept with a tranny hooker, but I was faithful to you the first 8 years of our marriage."

"We built the greatest lead in Super Bowl History..." ~Atlanta Falcons (2017)
Old 09-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #4131
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The dude is literally on tape saying he downplayed the virus. I don't think anything he says on a debate stage is going to move the needle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What people though? Like, what kind of fuck up are you envisioning that makes a difference?

I get it. Anyone who has bet on "LOL Nothing Matters!" over the last four years has made a killing.

So maybe nothing can move the needle.

I guess it my head it wasn't saying something outrageous. It was basically a real obvious and unmistakable moment of mental decline. He pretty much admitted that he had a series of mini-strokes (by denying he had them when no one had brought them up).

And he's a huge projector, and he keeps talking about Biden as a puppet of the people behind him and needing drugs to get through a debate.

So, if he is diminished. And he's up there for 90 minutes without his teleprompter. And his drugs start to wear off. And he can't walk off stage when the questions get tough. Maybe there comes a point where Toto pulls back the curtain and we see him for what he truly is.

Or maybe he'll get up there, shart himself and talk about how he gave Putin all of our nuclear launch codes and a week later he'll be leading by 5 points in Florida. LOL Nothing Matters!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #4132
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

He is running against a guy who was asking about injecting Lysol to kill the virus. I'm sure Biden is in mental decline but he is also running against a man who's brain is peanut butter.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #4133
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah I went back and forth on that one. He had the highest stock market until Feb 2020 and I agree that is not the true economy but along with unemployment are the common measures until now for the economy. I was taking into account what other people will say not my opinion exactly.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #4134
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump played a businessman on TV and always talks about how rich he is, so he must be good at economy stuff.

Let's not overestimate the voter here.

I agree with Galaril that people see him as good with business and economy and stuff and that's probably baked into the pie at this point.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #4135
thesloppy
Pro Starter

'the economy' is effectively a rigged topic. For most of my lifetime the Dems have been the only ones balanced budgets, so Dem administrations not only have to come in and figure out how to pay for previous GOP governance, they have to weaken their own campaign under a threat of raising everyone's taxes to pay for debts run up by the GOP. The better each Dem president does at balancing the various poles of the economy, the more slack the next GOP president has to play/campaign with.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-23-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #4136
JPhillips
General Manager

This is not how elections work.

Quote:
More from
@LindseyGrahamSC
on Fox News: "I promise you as a Republican, if the Supreme Court rules that Joe Biden wins I will accept that result."
Old 09-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #4137
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

The Florida AG is going to investigate Bloomberg for paying the fines. The GOP is all in on voter suppression.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #4138
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Even with all the structural advantages the white rural party has in America right now, the GOP's policies are so unpopular that they still are on pace to lose the Electoral College, Senate majority, and House majority.

The natural response to that should be "hey, maybe we shouldn't support stupid policies." That's kind of how the system is designed to work.

Unfortunately, the response seems to be "let's just not have a real election."
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #4139
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

The Florida AG is going to investigate Bloomberg for paying the fines. The GOP is all in on voter suppression.

FLORIDA: These people have to pay money to vote.

AMERICANS: You mean a poll tax?

FLORIDA: Of course not. This is simply getting people square with the state. It has nothing to do with payment in exchange for getting to vote.

AMERICANS: OK. Since it is just some court costs and fines, we'll help people pay them.

FLORIDA: You can't do that. That is paying people to vote.

AMERICANS: So it is a poll tax.

FLORIDA:

(paraphrased/stolen from something I saw last night)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #4140
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Even with all the structural advantages the white rural party has in America right now, the GOP's policies are so unpopular that they still are on pace to lose the Electoral College, Senate majority, and House majority.

The natural response to that should be "hey, maybe we shouldn't support stupid policies." That's kind of how the system is designed to work.

Unfortunately, the response seems to be "let's just not have a real election."

There is a sizable portion of the GOP that will gladly sacrifice democracy if it inhibits their control of power.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #4141
JPhillips
General Manager

ATL strippers shoot a PSA and an on-line registration and voter information site.

w w w.getyourbootytothepoll.com

NSFW, but no nudity.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #4142
JPhillips
General Manager

The fraud is coming from inside the house!

Old 09-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #4143
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
dola

Should be an interesting development. I can see why the Democratic Party is strongly pushing for it. The convicted felon pool is a largely untapped resource, and Biden would likely get upwards of 90% of that vote. It could become a substantial part of his constituency.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #4144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Should be an interesting development. I can see why the Democratic Party is strongly pushing for it. The convicted felon pool is a largely untapped resource, and Biden would likely get upwards of 90% of that vote. It could become a substantial part of his constituency.

I agree. Unless and until the GOP starts to support policies that help people who aren't high income rural whites, they are not going to be getting the votes of those groups.

People who have committed crimes should be allowed to vote.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #4145
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed. And we can see why the Republicans would try to block it with poll taxes and the such after losing the Constitutional Amendment so handily on felons who have served their time. Florida is projected to be close and a lot of those freed felons who are supposed to be able to vote now are black.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #4146
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

So how would we phrase this in FOFC speak? Something like "If you vote for Biden, it doesn't mean you're a convicted felon, but if you're a convicted felon, you're voting for Biden."
Old 09-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #4147
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sure. Shrug.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #4148
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So how would we phrase this in FOFC speak? Something like "If you vote for Biden, it doesn't mean you're a convicted felon, but if you're a convicted felon, you're voting for Biden."

"If you vote for Biden, it doesn't mean you're a convicted felon, but if you're a convicted felon, you're voting for Biden or were a member of the Trump administration"
Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #4149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"If you vote for Biden, it doesn't mean you're a convicted felon, but if you're a convicted felon, you're voting for Biden or were a member of the Trump administration"

Lol, Perfect.

I think we were supposed to think of convicted felons who served their time as something horrifying? Sorry VV that it didn't work out the way you hoped. (Wait until he realizes some of us think people in jail should vote - though I don't know who that would benefit more as you have plenty of white supremacists in jail)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-24-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #4150
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Actually, it would be surprising if the former felons voting rate is as high as 90%. There are many poor rural whites that have felony convictions, and that is a Trump demographic. Among Black convicts, 90% is probably right. Among whites? I think it may be more 60/40 Trump.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread