Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #28601
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I keep hearing this but most mail-in ballots that are received before election day are counted along with the regular ballots. So it would only be ballots mailed in at the last minute which wouldn't be on the election night screen.

Sure it's a bigger portion than in previous years, but I feel like most people are going to get their ballots in early. There are very few undecideds unlike 2016. And the scare of the postal service delaying mail has maybe pushed more people to send in their ballot early (which would be a hilarious backfire by Republicans).

Maybe that's just optimism on my end.

That's one of the hopes I have, as well - I think people are going to be voting early precisely because of these scares. There might not be a time when Trump actually leads in the states he needs to. There's no perfect time to call for a win if you're never ahead. That said, I wouldn't bank on it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-25-2020 at 06:40 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #28602
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's one of the hopes I have, as well - I think people are going to be voting early precisely because of these scares. There might not be a time when Trump actually leads in the states he needs to. There's no perfect time to call for a win if you're never ahead. That said, I wouldn't bank on it.

SI

That's what Barr's working on. Shit like the Luzerne County stunt are done to call all the voting into question.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #28603
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
In Boise, and I'm sure a lot of other places far more liberal, all non-essential businesses, city parks, schools, dine-in restaurants, etc, were closed, you couldn't gather anywhere with anyone who wasn't a household member, and there was and still is a mask mandate. Office workers had to work from home. Obviously a lot of places didn't have those restrictions. But was that enough? Is that "shut-down"?

Yep. That's a real shut down, but a lot of places didn't do that, did it haphazardly and at various strange times. Georgia, for one, never had a mask mandate (and the Governor tried to block cities from implementing their own. A lot of areas in suburban and rural GA openly defied limits on restaurants with no repercussions. And then the shutdown was lifted in 3 weeks while cases were rising (which also led to some people from other states flowing in).

If we all did the shutdowns as you note Boise did with a mask mandate for a month or month and a half things would have ended up much better. Even better outcomes would be if we started the shutdowns a week or two earlier than most areas did.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #28604
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed. To really have the kind of results most here are looking for, we would have needed to have a unified national plan - which isn't how our system works really, but consistent and responsible messaging would have gotten us closer to that - and much better competence & willingness when it comes to tracing and testing.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #28605
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Don Jr. says basically this.

When I see shit like this, I start to think that the only thing that might keep me from voting on election day is because I get arrested for punching some dumb motherfucker in the mouth on the way in because he decided to get in my way.

My county typically goes 90% Republican, just FYI. And yet I can completely see stupid fuckers taking this seriously to keep the one Asian family, the 5 Latinos and the 2 black guys from voting blue twice.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #28606
AlexB
Pro Starter

This article seems to be a decent summary of the points being discussed here

China has almost eliminated Covid-19. What can the world learn? | WIRED UK
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #28607
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Definitely going to be some people shot on Election Day.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #28608
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

BiDeN IS iN MEntAlly dEcLIne:
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #28609
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Definitely going to be some people shot on Election Day.

I honestly hope that is not the case, no matter how it goes, but when you have leadership that stokes the flames the way he does, it is sadly a strong possibility.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #28610
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraErin
I don't think people understand that a coup won't be Donald Trump going, "I won't leave and you can't make me." It would be him declaring victory, proceeding to act as though he won, creating a difference of political opinion about who is president as of January 20th.

Right. That is where we are headed, and when he 100% declares victory "on election night" as he looks to be ahead in a variety of swing states based on in-person voting counted so far (not not all the mailed-in ballots having been counted yet), that will be the specific point in time that the moths remember. Suddenly the Americans who voted by other fully legal means will be criminals, illegals, fraudsters, and the like, and the Trumpster moths will argue with clear throats that those voters should all be ignored, if not prosecuted.

I am mortified at the prospect of "who has the guns in the right place" becoming what matters. But if you're not afraid of that as a potential outcome here, you're whistling past the graveyard.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-26-2020 at 10:41 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #28611
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
BiDeN IS iN MEntAlly dEcLIne:

Saw a good one on Twitter this football Saturday morning from the MediasTouch guys. Opens with full football stadiums full of cheering fans and then shows two together with the number 100,000 on each, the capacity of the stadiums...and how many have died from COVID-19 so far
Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #28612
Thomkal
Head Coach

A federal judge has ruled, in a case that might give precedent to other Trump appointees, that the the commisioner of the Bureau of Land Management, served unlawfully for 400+ days by not being confirmed by the Senate and that all actions he undertook may not be legal either. Very happy to see this because the guy's done some pretty horrible things as Commisioner and is as racist and conspiracy-filled as Trump it looks like:

Judge removes Trump’s public lands boss, William Perry Pendley, after governor sued – The Colorado Sun
Old 09-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #28613
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
A federal judge has ruled, in a case that might give precedent to other Trump appointees, that the the commisioner of the Bureau of Land Management, served unlawfully for 400+ days by not being confirmed by the Senate and that all actions he undertook may not be legal either. Very happy to see this because the guy's done some pretty horrible things as Commisioner and is as racist and conspiracy-filled as Trump it looks like:

Judge removes Trump’s public lands boss, William Perry Pendley, after governor sued – The Colorado Sun

That's really promising if it stands. We need to be fix the damage done by Trump's cadre of "so-and-so serving with the duties of a (position that's supposed to be confirmed)" that is such a naked end around of Congress.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-26-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #28614
JPhillips
General Manager

Turns out Dems could do more than tweet if they really wanted to.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #28615
JPhillips
General Manager

Somehow the NYTimes got Trump's tax returns. A lot is going to come out, but here's the first morsel.

Quote:
Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes in 2016, the year he won. He paid just $750 in 2017, his first year in office. And he paid no income taxes in 10 of the previous 15 years.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #28616
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Sigh.

"You mean he's corrupt and sketchy? We had no idea."

Well that will certainly change the vote of literally anyone.

(It won't actually change the vote of literally anyone)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #28617
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The only thing Trump could do to lose votes at this point would be to back down on the SCOTUS nominee and/or nominate a moderate.

Of course, there's not much he can do to gain votes either, which is why it's still a bit of a problem for him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #28618
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The tax returns might steal some news cycles, which is something, I guess. But Lord knows that October is going to be crazy season this year - there's going to be some weird crap thrown at the wall to see what sticks and I have no idea what that is going to be.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #28619
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The tax returns might steal some news cycles, which is something, I guess. But Lord knows that October is going to be crazy season this year - there's going to be some weird crap thrown at the wall to see what sticks and I have no idea what that is going to be.

SI

Nothing is a safe bet. I think at this point the election simply comes down to what percentage of votes are counted.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #28620
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just had a preview of Thanksgiving on a call with my parents. I don't live in Louisville but I work downtown. They asked how long it would be until it was safe to go back and I told them that aside from a few isolated incidents, not much has happened. They reacted like I told them WWII was a small skirmish on an island in the Pacific, informing me that there was a ton of violence and that I need to stop watching "the alphabet channel." When I explained that I don't watch infotainment news and that this is a local news story for me that dropped off as the headline story about 2-3 days after the announcement, they told me I was crazy and should not go to work any time soon.

Meanwhile, my employer - who owns several buildings in downtown - is opening our offices as usual tomorrow morning. But of course, Fox News knows better...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #28621
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Welcome to Portland.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #28622
Atocep
Coordinator

My wife's younger brother came to visit this weekend and my wife's step-dad called last weekend to make sure it was safe for him to fly up with Antifa and BLM running up and down the coast starting fires so I get it.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-27-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #28623
JPhillips
General Manager

As tax fraud comes out this is going to be very bad news for Trump. NY prosecutors don't give a shit about persuadable voters.

But his bigger problem is going to be the hundreds of millions in loans coming due with seemingly little way to pay them other than selling his properties.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #28624
kingfc22
Head Coach

The grifter will come up with some way to have his base build a go fund me to pay off these
Old 09-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #28625
GrantDawg

Dude, he will just get another loan. This has been his m.o. for decades. Borrow to pay for other loans, file bankruptcy if you can't borrow more. This is how the rich stay rich.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #28626
JPhillips
General Manager

That's pretty easy if he's still the President, but if he's not...
Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #28627
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #28628
tarcone
Coordinator

That was the best political ad I have ever seen.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #28629
Atocep
Coordinator

I like Doug Jones but he doesn't have much of a shot. Hopefully, if Biden wins, he has room for someone like him in the administration.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #28630
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
That was the best political ad I have ever seen.

Literally the best political ad Doug Jones possibly could have run.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #28631
miami_fan
Coordinator

It has been about 25 years since the campaign for the 2016 election but didn't POTUS say he was going to fix the tax laws because he knew all of the loopholes and had been using them to avoid paying taxes? Did I dream that?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #28632
GrantDawg

JPhillips, I hate to break this you, but he was doing this before he was president. He has filed bankruptcy several times, and yet banks still give him billions in loans. People like him never end up holding the bag, and he won't this time either.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-27-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #28633
JPhillips
General Manager

He's lost all of his domestic creditors and now has to rely on pretty shady foreign sources. They won't just refinance for a guy on trial for tax fraud. He's uniquely fucked because he's always been a shit businessman and he actually has lost the ability to get money from most banks.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #28634
Ben E Lou

(I realize I have several posts from last week that I should reply to. Busy times. Will try to get to it tomorrow.)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #28635
GrantDawg

Meanwhile...Former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale barricaded himself while armed in his Ft. Lauderdale home and threatened to harm himself.

He's been taken to the hospital and held under the Baker Act which is the Florida equivalent of a 5150 psychiatric hold

https://t.co/bEvAYLeAqv

Old 09-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #28636
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Sigh.

"You mean he's corrupt and sketchy? We had no idea."

Well that will certainly change the vote of literally anyone.

(It won't actually change the vote of literally anyone)

I found a looter.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #28637
cuervo72
Head Coach

Gee, I wonder if he did anything illegal.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #28638
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A handful of months ago I would've insisted that Parscale was the person most entrenched in the Trump carnival.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-27-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #28639
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Gee, I wonder if he did anything illegal.
so far I’ve seen two pretty liberal attorneys (one a friend from HS, the other on Twitter,) who are saying that this isn’t illegal, but is a commonly-used-by-the-wealthy legal loophole that only the super rich can afford to employ, and it points to how broken the system is.L, but probably not to a xrime

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-27-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #28640
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
so far I’ve seen two pretty liberal attorneys (one a friend from HS, the other on Twitter,) who are saying that this isn’t illegal, but is a commonly-used legal loophole that only the super rich can afford to employ, and it points to how broken the system is.

I'm sure FOX News will shortly be beating the drum about this isn't illegal and it actually shows how smart a businessman he really is .
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #28641
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
A handful of months ago I would've insisted that Parscale was the person most entrenched in the Trump carnival.

Cocaine is a helluva drug
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #28642
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Meanwhile...Former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale barricaded himself while armed in his Ft. Lauderdale home and threatened to harm himself.

He's been taken to the hospital and held under the Baker Act which is the Florida equivalent of a 5150 psychiatric hold

Former Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale, armed, barricades self in Fort Lauderdale home, police called

Man, that's pretty horrible-I'm glad he didn't hurt himself or his wife and is getting the help he needs now.

And a big FU to the all the people on Twitter cheering this news
Old 09-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #28643
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
so far I’ve seen two pretty liberal attorneys (one a friend from HS, the other on Twitter,) who are saying that this isn’t illegal, but is a commonly-used-by-the-wealthy legal loophole that only the super rich can afford to employ, and it points to how broken the system is.L, but probably not to a xrime

Nono, I meant Parscale. This sounds like a flip-out after a realization of "oh crap, I'm screwed."
Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #28644
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Nono, I meant Parscale. This sounds like a flip-out after a realization of "oh crap, I'm screwed."
ahhhhh. Got it.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #28645
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Man, that's pretty horrible-I'm glad he didn't hurt himself or his wife and is getting the help he needs now.

yes, and yes
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #28646
GrantDawg

Nothing to celebrate. Does suggest a guilty conscience, though.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #28647
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

I think his real legal problems will come from using different valuations depending on what benefitted him the most. All of that in writing is a nightmare for the whole family.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #28648
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've just assumed that there are so many loopholes for this sort of crap if you're rich. I'm not sure how much they'll find that is illegal /illegal/. Not in a tax return, anyways. Though that might give some state attorneys general some juicy spots to go looking if they want to dig deeper into his finances. I mean, we should sure as hell be mad that a supposedly billionaire hasn't paid any taxes in a couple of decades but we'll get distracted by some jangly keys and/or "well, he's just smart".

SI

Old 09-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #28649
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
yes, and yes

Agree, it's just sad that people would celebrate something like this. As contentious as these times are and as much as I despise so many associated with the Trump circus, I don't wish anything bad on any of them. It is the most basic of human tenets, that should be foremost in any decent humans mind.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:02 AM   #28650
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Since we all know the official stance on Trump's taxes will eventually switch to "he never said he didn't pay taxes.", then to "he didn't pay taxes, but it doesn't matter." and eventually settling on "he didn't pay taxes, but that's smart!".....how much of a dipshit do you have to be to still openly buy in at "fake news"?? Asking for a half-dozen Facebook friends.

Also, there is a non-zero chance Trump just shuts down & walks out in the middle of a debate, right?

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-28-2020 at 02:16 AM.