Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #25351
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I showed this to a guy I work with who hates Trump but his family love him, and he sent it to them and the comments back were that it looked staged and that Daily Show and Klepper are Marxists.

So they have never been to a rally I take it
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #25352
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So very symbolic: "You commoners, zealots, and peons can gather and risk your lives while we testify (no, not here of course) from afar about how safe things are"

The Texas GOP is moving forward with its in-person convention in Houston next week with one adjustment: Texas Republican leaders, including Gov. Greg Abbott, will give their speeches virtually.Texas Republicans' in-person Houston convention will have video speeches | The Texas Tribune
— Texas Tribune (@TexasTribune) July 7, 2020

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-08-2020 at 01:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #25353
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Virtual for me but not for thee
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #25354
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Japan’s theme parks have banned screaming on roller coasters because it spreads coronavirus. “Please scream inside your heart.”
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #25355
QuikSand
lolzcat

prols
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #25356
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Japan’s theme parks have banned screaming on roller coasters because it spreads coronavirus. “Please scream inside your heart.”

I have been since November 2016, so I guess I'm ahead of the game...
Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #25357
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Houston mayor canceled the contract for the Texas GOP convention.

Coronavirus in Texas: Houston cancels contract GOP convention - News - Austin American-Statesman - Austin, TX
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #25358
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Lol. These people are pure nutter butters.

I pretty much agree which is why I almost crapped myself when I saw one of the people interviewed was my FULL BLOOD aunt.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #25359
QuikSand
lolzcat

Strong insinuations from the VP today that if/when the feds get around to doing a next thing to respond to covid, there will be strings attached to "encourage" states to fully open schools.

I hope this tempers over time (likely?) but... I know this thread is full of outrage and all, but WTAF
Old 07-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #25360
QuikSand
lolzcat

(the best assembly of this, I guess, is that they're realizing there's an impossible conundrum of child care looming, and shoving kids back into schools, safe or not, is the only hope for "the economy" to help win the election)
Old 07-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #25361
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

You know, as much as I shit on Republicans in this thread, here are local party leaders putting health ahead of optics. Good for them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #25362
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Mayor of Houston is a Democrat though.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #25363
JPhillips
General Manager

Most days I can go through things and not let it get me angry. Today, though, after reading a college friend's long Facebook post on not wearing masks, and chipped vaccines, and forced abortions, etc. and then the evening news showing the overwhelmed medical professionals in TX and AZ, I just got blind with rage.

Where the fuck is the federal government? I would have never imagined that a President would just let people die.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #25364
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Most days I can go through things and not let it get me angry. Today, though, after reading a college friend's long Facebook post on not wearing masks, and chipped vaccines, and forced abortions, etc. and then the evening news showing the overwhelmed medical professionals in TX and AZ, I just got blind with rage.

Where the fuck is the federal government? I would have never imagined that a President would just let people die.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #25365
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Despite the fact that I've devoted most of my professional life to it, I think I've decided at this point that the internet was a mistake.

Or maybe it was just social media.

In any event, when we removed the internal content editor (necessarily required by the amount of work it took to formulate, develop the technical skills to execute and publish, thus winnowing down our communications to those we deemed the most important) we essentially turned our culture into a bar room brawl where any drunk asshole was empowered to say whatever they wanted and imagine there were no consequences.

Last edited by Drake : 07-08-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:34 AM   #25366
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Despite the fact that I've devoted most of my professional life to it, I think I've decided at this point that the internet was a mistake.

In any event, when we removed the internal content editor (necessarily required by the amount of work it took to formulate, develop the technical skills to execute and publish, thus winnowing down our communications to those we deemed the most important) we essentially turned our culture into a bar room brawl where any drunk asshole was empowered to say whatever they wanted and imagine there were no consequences.

Yup, this is certainly something I'm not qualified or smart enough to really speak on, but I'm pretty sure the way our brains and societies have evolved are really not meant for us to be able to instantly communicate with and get the opinions of the loudest and most opinionated members of our species from all over the world. It's like we've always been tribal and territorial assholes, but now instead of being an asshole with some of the 50 people you might come in contact with in your average week, you can do it instantly to try to reach millions and almost always zero consequences.

I'm a massive pessimist, but this gets me more down than most topics.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:56 AM   #25367
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, similarly, I remember when the early promise of the 'information highway' was kind of built around the idea of all of the best and most creative people being able to suddenly share their best ideas, and we'd have like this smorgasbord of incredible unique cultures to choose from at any time...but instead it turned out to be a massive echo chamber that actively stifles unique cultures & thinking in favor of recycling whatever appeals to the lowest common denominator.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-09-2020 at 02:57 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:09 AM   #25368
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Agreed, although I do distinguish between the internet and social media. Facebook, Twitter (especially Twitter) are the root of current toxic and aggressive politics and society IMHO
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #25369
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
but I'm pretty sure the way our brains and societies have evolved are really not meant for us to be able to instantly communicate with and get the opinions of the loudest and most opinionated members of our species from all over the world. It's like we've always been tribal and territorial assholes, but now instead of being an asshole with some of the 50 people you might come in contact with in your average week, you can do it instantly to try to reach millions and almost always zero consequences.

This is just one of the many ways in which the world is drastically changing. I disagree with Drake that it means the internet was a mistake. I don't think social media changed us; I think it revealed who we already were more clearly. It's basically a magnifier, but it magnifies not just the assholes but also those who are not. There's a lot of good that gets done and learning that happens that just couldn't be done without it. Imagine how much more fragmented we'd be, how much more insane people would be going, during this time dealing with the pandemic if they didn't have the internet as an outlet, a way to communicate, etc.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #25370
JPhillips
General Manager

The 1/100th time.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #25371
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #25372
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'll take Literal Impossibilities for $600, Alex.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #25373
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and of course dead wrong about the testing claim as well. We have comparable testing to Spain, less than the UK, etc. We're roughly average in terms of testing volume, and we aren't contact tracing to limit spread.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #25374
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
that both the non-mask wearers and the protesters were components of both politics and right and left leaning mass media encouragement. These are by far our two biggest problems leading to the huge number of cases.

What evidence backs up this claim that those are the biggest contributors? Why are other countries who have a lot more people out and about than they did during the shutdowns still not seeing nearly the rise in fatalities?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #25375
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...61056261767168

Wow. Lincoln Project now going after Republican Senators who voted to exonerate Trump.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #25376
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump loses against Manhattan DA in Trump vs Vance.A subpoena to a sitting Pres does not have to meet a heightened standard 7-2 against Trump

Edit: gets sent back to lower courts if Trump wants to try another argument

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-09-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #25377
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...61056261767168

Wow. Lincoln Project now going after Republican Senators who voted to exonerate Trump.

That is prettyawesome to see them go after their own party like that.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #25378
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Trump loses against Manhattan DA in Trump vs Vance.A subpoena to a sitting Pres does not have to meet a heightened standard 7-2 against Trump

There are going to be some epic tweets...
Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #25379
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

A little more detail for perspective on the virus comparison:

Look at how flat the curves are in other countries compared to the US. Less so in the UK because they've been more aggressively foolish relative to the others, but at no point have the deaths here gotten nearly as flat as they are in the other nations.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #25380
PilotMan
Head Coach

The only number that really matters, since there is no plan with any effectiveness for knowing who is really sick, is deaths. That's it. Just deaths. The only sure way to know the direction and severity is deaths. Having to wait a few weeks to see the outcome of a behavior or decision today offers no consequence for the terrible decisions and leadership we see now.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #25381
JPhillips
General Manager

Alito's dissent seems to say that Trump is going to lose Mazars as well.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #25382
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The only number that really matters, since there is no plan with any effectiveness for knowing who is really sick, is deaths. That's it. Just deaths. The only sure way to know the direction and severity is deaths. Having to wait a few weeks to see the outcome of a behavior or decision today offers no consequence for the terrible decisions and leadership we see now.

Hospitalizations also works.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #25383
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Congressional subpoenas were remanded for lower courts to determine separation of powers issues - 7-2
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #25384
bronconick
College Starter

7-2 to Congress, but it's a virtual punt because the Congressional subpoena was overbroad
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #25385
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump vs Mazars also comes in at 7-2. But seems a win for both sides from what I can understand. Rejects the "demanding standards" proposed by the President and that House failed to "take into account the significant seperations of powers raised by Congressional subpoenas for the President's information". Gets sent back to lower court.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #25386
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Legally, the opinion curtails the power of the President.

Practically, it punts disclosure of Trump's financial records until after the election.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #25387
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Even CNN is calling this a win for Trump
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #25388
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Even CNN is calling this a win for Trump

Mazers is, slightly, but Vance is a major loss.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #25389
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Mazers is, slightly, but Vance is a major loss.

How?

I know you are a lawyer so I would be curious to hear. Seems to me nothing will happen before the election. So while it is a potentially a loss down the road, it will have no effect on the election.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #25390
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump's legal problems won't end after the election.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #25391
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How?

I know you are a lawyer so I would be curious to hear. Seems to me nothing will happen before the election. So while it is a potentially a loss down the road, it will have no effect on the election.

Oh, did you assume something would have come out before the election? The vast majority of SCOTUS cases get remanded to decide based on the ruling.

Vance said that heightened scrutiny is not required for NY State to demand tax info - meaning that NY State can receive those documents when it goes back down. They weren't going to publically share them anyways.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #25392
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My understanding was that there was a path for him to have to release them prior to the election
Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #25393
bob
College Starter

Quote:
They weren't going to publically share them anyways.

I suspect these will get leaked pretty damn quickly.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #25394
Thomkal
Head Coach

I know many of us would have loved it if the Court said "stop the nonsense Trump" and release this info, but that was a longshot at best to happen. Both cases are not dead and in the Mazars case the Chief Justice left guidelines or tests that both sides must follow in sending it back to the lower courts.

Correct me I'm wrong but the Supremes did not buy most (all?) of Trump's arguments in these cases, INCLUDING the two justices he just appointed. The Chief Justice himself said no one including the highest office in the land is above the law. Trump's lawyers are going to have to fight that now and everything else. The only thing they criticized the House lawyers was not going far enough in their arguments against separation of Powers.

Again correct me if I'm wrong but the lower courts all rules against Trump, and would be very likely to do so again in any re-hearing of these cases going forward.

So yeah sucks that it wasn't a complete "win" in both cases, and these records likely won't be revealed before the election, but truly by now is there anyone here who was waiting to see how the Supreme's ruled on these cases before deciding who to vote for this year?

I'm pretty sure Trump hopes that everyone will lose interest in these cases when/if he loses the election and it will all go away. Nothing to me seems further from the truth with these decisions.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #25395
Thomkal
Head Coach

I would look at Neal Katyal's Twitter feed on this, as he has argues something like 40 cases to the Supreme Court-he doesn't see it as a victory for Trump at all, and it may even spur the Vance case to be expedited before the election.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #25396
Thomkal
Head Coach

Michael Cohen about to switch from a furlough to home confinement, is instead back in jail because he refused to sign papers that restricted him from doing any media or publishing a book
Old 07-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #25397
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

What makes anybody think that Trump is not going to pardon himself before he leaves office?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #25398
Thomkal
Head Coach

I recently started following SCOTUSBlog on Twitter to get more information on the decisions made by the Supreme Court. What I did not expect was today they tweeted a ton of responses to people who obviously thought this was an official twitter account of the Supreme Court. Wow what craziness.

Edit: Finished reading those and sadly there's stupidity on both sides of the aisle.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-09-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #25399
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What makes anybody think that Trump is not going to pardon himself before he leaves office?

I'm sure he will try, he and his family but he can't pardon whatever the state of NY finds as a result of today's Vance decision. Can't pardon state crimes
Old 07-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #25400
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

DoJ has traditionally (since Nixon times) held the position that a President cannot pardon himself. Even if Barr says he can, I wonder if SCOTUS will take the previous position.

In addition, that's not going to shield him from state prosecution and I'm sure New York State is going to throw the book at him for any tax fraud they find.