Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
21C
College Prospect

Online Hockey Sim - MetroHO

MetroHO is a browser-based game similar to Hattrick or DeepRoute (and yes, I did a check first).

I haven't tried it since I'm not a hockey fan but I thought there might be some interest here.

Last edited by 21C : 05-23-2008 at 07:41 PM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

Thx for the link...i will definatly try it out.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

Dola- This seems interesting so far.

I just signed up as "The Whale" in a league called "Quebec" which needs more team to fill out the league. My username is the same as on here so feel free to look my team up.

I played a game of shinny against another team and won 4-3 in OT. The most interesting part of the game is that each minute of a period counts as a "round" and you have to decide which line to send out every "round." Strategy is involved because you only have a set number of times each line can play during each period. For example, my first line can only play 7 "rounds" in each period and so forth.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
duff88
College Prospect

Just signed up in the Quebec league.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Look out for the Ice Demons! HISS!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

And if you sign up with this link, I get a free draft pick!
http://www.metroho.com?reference=180
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

Joined the Quebec league, curious to see just how badly I mangled myself with these initial contracts
Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Joined the Quebec league, curious to see just how badly I mangled myself with these initial contracts

Great, now we only need one more team to start the league!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Damn, somebody beat me to it. I was going to join the Quebec league. I think I'll just leave my team sitting there for a while and possibly join another league later.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Dola- This seems interesting so far.

I just signed up as "The Whale" in a league called "Quebec" which needs more team to fill out the league. My username is the same as on here so feel free to look my team up.

I played a game of shinny against another team and won 4-3 in OT. The most interesting part of the game is that each minute of a period counts as a "round" and you have to decide which line to send out every "round." Strategy is involved because you only have a set number of times each line can play during each period. For example, my first line can only play 7 "rounds" in each period and so forth.

But then you ran into the steel jaws that are THE FUZZY BUNNIES

I didn't know there was another FOFC'er in "Quebec" good to know i'm not alone. Still not too sure what a shinny is......but i'm lovin' every minute of it

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 05-23-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Damn, somebody beat me to it. I was going to join the Quebec league. I think I'll just leave my team sitting there for a while and possibly join another league later.

Sorry Pumpy..... Actually I signed up before checking up over here. I was planning on coming over here to see if any league was FOFcentric but noticed Quebec filing fast so jumped in.

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 05-23-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
But then you ran into the steel jaws that are THE FUZZY BUNNIES

I didn't know there was another FOFC'er in "Quebec" good to know i'm not alone. Still not too sure what a shinny is......but i'm lovin' every minute of it

Absolutely. You guys crushed me 4-1. A shinny is like a scrimmage. So I guess the "Quebec" league is almost entirely FOFC based.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Cool.... FOFC needs to be represented everywhere
Old 05-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Pumpy let's start another league.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Pumpy let's start another league.

me too, please
Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Okay...i'll make one now and post the name.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #18
samifan24
Pro Starter

By the way, guys, I believe that you can change the league you're in each off-season. So at the end of this season (20 days IRL) we can create a couple of full FOFC leagues if there's still interest.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

League name is FOFCHL
Old 05-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

joined in
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #21
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm in with the Lasers.
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

joined FOFC league
Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

going to sign up now
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #24
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm in got the 10th team
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok, I just played my two home games on "day 1" in the Quebec League. It looks like you have to login to play (or at least auto-sim) your day's games. Each day every team has four games, two home and two away. I played both of my home games this morning and another guy simmed one of my away games. Now I'm waiting on someone else to sim my final game today.

I checked out the site forums and apparently someone named Adam created and is running the game. He wanted to have people login every day to play their games until a lot of people pointed out how ridiculous that expectation was. Apparently he added an auto-sim option this morning but you still have to login and click the auto-sim button, as far as I can tell.

This is clearly a work in progress. That said, I'm having fun with it so far. It's new and it isn't going to be perfect but I hope that those running the game continue to take player input regularly.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Damn you Pumpy!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I do like how NON-tedious the game is. Should keep me interested for quite some time.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm in as BDD HC, but already joined a league.(USA.II)
Didn't see the FOFC league until afterwards, since only 2 leagues were created at the time.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey SR, I declined your trade for now... I like my team so far and it's too early for me to see what weaknesses I have.

Then you went out and beat me. My only loss thus far.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #30
samifan24
Pro Starter

Hey, JeffNights, did you get my trade offer?
Old 05-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #31
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Hey SR, I declined your trade for now... I like my team so far and it's too early for me to see what weaknesses I have.

Then you went out and beat me. My only loss thus far.

No problem...just trying to balance my team out a little. I have a bunch of offensive D, and you seemed heavy on stay-at-home. I feel like the Pittsburgh Penguins 2006-07
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
No problem...just trying to balance my team out a little. I have a bunch of offensive D, and you seemed heavy on stay-at-home. I feel like the Pittsburgh Penguins 2006-07

You're offer is still noted on my sticky notes on my desk.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:11 AM   #33
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two features added. I like this-

Quote:
1) When you play home games the long way, you can now select the style of play you want that line to play. Keep in mind, if you ask a checking line to do an "All-Out-Attack," they still aren't going to be nearly as offensive as a sniper line even on normal mode... also be warned that the more offensive your style of play is, the less defensive you'll be.

2) You can now assign your players an offensive/defensive ratio instruction. Note that this does not replace player types, but rather further refines the particular player. For instance, by setting a power forward to Offense +2.0, Defense -2.0 they will still play like a power forward, just they'll be slightly more offensive than the typical power forward

except that you style (#1 above) resets to all-out-attack after every shift, so if you don't remember to tone it down a little, you leave yourself open when you 4th line is out there.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-27-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Had an odd game where I was somewhat evenly matched with an opponent, outshot him by 12 and lost 6-0 (including three penalty kills by his 4th line - mostly 50s against my top line 80s). I just don't feel that anything I do makes much sense with the game.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #35
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Had an odd game where I was somewhat evenly matched with an opponent, outshot him by 12 and lost 6-0 (including three penalty kills by his 4th line - mostly 50s against my top line 80s). I just don't feel that anything I do makes much sense with the game.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that, too. Do line combinations even matter? It seems like I have one scoring line and that's it. Does it matter if I have them go all-out attack or play conservatively? I can't tell if I'm actually having any affect on the team.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #36
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering about that, too. Do line combinations even matter? It seems like I have one scoring line and that's it. Does it matter if I have them go all-out attack or play conservatively? I can't tell if I'm actually having any affect on the team.

Haven't done enough testing to know for sure, but I went from having my three best guys on my top line (was under .500 but that line was tearing it up), dropped one down to the second line (as that line was getting murdered) and since then the first line production has dropped a bit, but second line production is way up and been winning a lot more games.

I haven't played at all with the new options for aggressiveness, but seeing line combination changes make a difference like that for me was an encouraging sign.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #37
Arles
Grey Dog Software

OK, this is really weird. I just saw the results to the opponent I lost to 6-0 and outshot by 12. In my away game, I won 7-0 after being outshot by 5.

So, I call the lines and outshoot him by 12, lose 6-0. He calls the lines in the same day and outshoots my by 5, but loses 7-0. The morale of the story is never call your own lines.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the way the game comes up with results.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #39
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Don't like it so far :- I have absolutely no clue on what to do to win games (well since I'm last it probably means It's just do the opposite).- So the tactics is to set the lineup and that's it ?- It's a pain in the ass to have to connect every day to sim games.Luckily I'm bored at work so I'll keep playing, else I would have stopped already.

Last edited by BreizhManu : 06-03-2008 at 06:41 AM.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #40
samifan24
Pro Starter

I don't like the fact that playing a game by hand takes so long. I've just been simming my last five or six games and have had two different opponents forfeit because they didn't log in to sim their games. They should offer an option like "sim this week's games" every Sunday (or something like that).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #41
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Agree...I've been trying to log in and manually play these, since I believe you don't earn credits for quick-simmed games.

But it is fucking tedious.

Also, site is down this morning.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #42
Travis
Pro Rookie

You can quick sim and earn credits, it's auto sim that doesn't earn you credits. Quick sim you still have to log in, go to the schedule and hit the button (thereby also giving you the chance to see if you have any injuries, want to play with your lineup, etc). Auto sim is a setting you can change so that you wouldn't have to log in to play your games. I'm assuming it'd auto correct your lines if you have any new injuries, but I haven't used this feature myself yet.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #43
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm afraid I've lost interest in this game.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm afraid I've lost interest in this game.

I'm about there with you Pumpy..
Old 06-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #45
samifan24
Pro Starter

They recently switched servers and now the game has all kinds of problems. The standings and stats are correct but some games went unplayed and others show a blank boxscore. I give the guy running this game credit because he's doing a pretty good job by himself but I think the game is quite a bit away from being as good or as structured as Hattrick.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #46
samifan24
Pro Starter

Well my team finished the regular season with the #1 seed in our league. We opened the playoffs 5-0 and looked poised to hoist the Cup. We then lost to the Knights which forced a decisive game three in the Finals. We lost 4-2 and the Knights won the Cup. The final game was the first time I've actually played the game in a very long time. I just find it too tedious. I wondered if the outcome might have been different if I had just simmed the game but it was too exciting to sim. My team ("The Whale") finished second and were awarded a finalist trophy.

I still log in to check this game once daily but it needs a lot of improvement to capture and maintain fan interest levels. That said, I did have fun despite losing the final game and am interested in checking out the off-season, which begins in our league tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #47
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For anyone interested, our league season is compeleted.
I just lost 2 game to 0 to the Coyotes in the finals.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #48
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
For anyone interested, our league season is compeleted.
I just lost 2 game to 0 to the Coyotes in the finals.

Oh, that's a good point. For those interested, you can now join one of the two FOFC leagues since teams are free to change or join leagues during the off-season period.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #49
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heckuva season Samifan, was glad to see that two FOFC'ers made it to the finals in the Quebec league.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #50
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Heckuva season Samifan, was glad to see that two FOFC'ers made it to the finals in the Quebec league.

Indeed. You guys made a strong run as well and I was happy that the #2 seed won if my team didn't win.