Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #18601
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Right, "for a 9 goal lead". The apparent problem is with the score at the time, rather than the celebration in a vacuum. I just don't think it matters. I don't see how the world is a better place today if she repressed her joy and nodded solemly after the goal. Some would have chosen to, which is fine too. I just don't think it's morally wrong to celebrare a world cup goal with her teammates, even if the team is really good.

No one is saying it's morally wrong to celebrate. It's about the scope, the social context of the amount of celebrating. That goal wasn't a game winner or likely to matter in the eventual determination of who wins or loses this match. The celebration doesn't match the accomplishment. It's too over the top.

And in doing so, that disrespects the opponent. You make them feel even worse than they do, unnecessarily. And you also debase yourself. You show the kind of person you are, that you selfishly go way beyond normal celebrating at the expense of others. No one is saying Rapinhoe (or anyone on the other late goals) should pull an Emmitt Smith and hand the ball to the ref, soccer style, or like you say, a simple fist bump. But a normal celebration in soccer is usually running with hands raised for a short bit and then accepting hugs from your teammates. That would have been fine here too. Rapinhoe runs and spins around a couple times and then flops to the ground and does wild air kicking, and then she gets mobbed by her teammtes. Sorry, that's just a narcissistic and ridiculously egocentric celebration.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #18602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorry, that's just a narcissistic and ridiculously egocentric celebration.

You just described the majority of the things they do/say for the past few years.

Collectively, the USWNT is about as unlikable a group of athletes as I've seen assembled, a bunch of real nutjobs.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #18603
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You just described the majority of the things they do/say for the past few years.

Collectively, the USWNT is about as unlikable a group of athletes as I've seen assembled, a bunch of real nutjobs.

Who are the likeable teams in sports Jon?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #18604
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Who are the likeable teams in sports Jon?

There are precious few (enough that I don't have an immediate answer) but the majority fall in the category of "relatively neutral" or "not better/worse than the rest"

Look at the various stories in recent years (starting around the GK controversy, whenever that was) about the USWNT, they pretty much all involve some degree of nutjobbery.

Their personality disorder ratio seems to be exceptionally high, and my patience with that has reached zero. I'm as nationalist as you're likely to find but they're not a collection I can really cheer even if I squint hard to try to see only the flag.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #18605
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
There are precious few (enough that I don't have an immediate answer) but the majority fall in the category of "relatively neutral" or "not better/worse than the rest"

Look at the various stories in recent years (starting around the GK controversy, whenever that was) about the USWNT, they pretty much all involve some degree of nutjobbery.

Their personality disorder ratio seems to be exceptionally high, and my patience with that has reached zero. I'm as nationalist as you're likely to find but they're not a collection I can really cheer even if I squint hard to try to see only the flag.

Yeah I was not even really talking specifically about the USWNT. I just haven't seen a team that you have liked in a while.

Actually, I got one. You seemed above neutral with the UT men's basketball team this year. Well among teams above the high school level.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #18606
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yeah I was not even really talking specifically about the USWNT. I just haven't seen a team that you have liked in a while.

Actually, I got one. You seemed above neutral with the UT men's basketball team this year. Well among teams above the high school level.

Yeah, that feels accurate. On the whole, that group of Vols was pretty personable. And part of that reaction from me no doubt comes with their ability to _avoid_ missteps as it does with anything they did especially right.

Every collection of individuals will end up with some percentage of unlikable people, that's just the law of averages and reality. A big difference maker in perception is whether they display their negative traits publicly and especially if they make a concerted effort to put those on display

With athletes, it's not much different than I treat other entertainers (musicians primarily, other disciplines maybe less relevant to me): all I really ask is that you give me the opportunity to give you the benefit of the doubt. When you take that away, that's where things get problematic.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #18607
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People who delete their tweets after you completely own them in an argument are the worst. Just take the L.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #18608
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm smelling hot dogs and I didn;t have hot dogs tonight. They smell absolutely delicious too.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #18609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I roomsurfed past an episode of Gunsmoke earlier & realized that I've heard so many episodes of the radio version of the show on SiriusXM Radio Classics channel that it's William Conrad rather than James Arness who "feels" like the proper Matt Dillon to me.

This, in spite of the fact that the radio show ended 6 years before I was born.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #18610
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone ever try shopping at massgenie.com? They have a Nintendo Switch for $255 but it kind of sounds to good to be true.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #18611
21C
College Prospect

I usually Google "[company] review" or "[company] legit". A search for massgenie turned up a trustpilot review site with a lot of 5 star "Great prices!" reviews which are usually shills. I then click on the 1 star reviews to find a better idea of what they are really like.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #18612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I am genuine sick & f'n tired of the "perpetual indigestion" routine I've had going for most of a week now. (and roughly half the days in the past three weeks).

Eat? Feel like crap shortly after.
Don't eat? Feel like crap anyway.

It's cyclical for me, happens maybe 1-2 times a year.

But I'm really fucking weary of it at the moment.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #18613
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I am genuine sick & f'n tired of the "perpetual indigestion" routine I've had going for most of a week now. (and roughly half the days in the past three weeks).

Eat? Feel like crap shortly after.
Don't eat? Feel like crap anyway.

It's cyclical for me, happens maybe 1-2 times a year.

But I'm really fucking weary of it at the moment.

From what I can tell about your diet can't say I am surprised

Maybe try a salad some time?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #18614
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
From what I can tell about your diet can't say I am surprised

Maybe try a salad some time?

I've had two in the past week tyvm ... exact same result.

I can literally eat (pick something greasy) or a f'n rice cake, makes no nevermind. Years of experience tell me that my acid generation is in overdrive and so it's either a) eat less/little & have my stomach chew on itself, or b) eat normally, and then deal with even more acid being produced.

The confounding part of this is that I'm hungrier than normal during these stretches, so that acts like a damned multiplier.

And it makes the random thoughts thread today (as opposed to any number of other times through the years) primarily because I'm just more f'n irritated with it than usual.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #18615
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You ever get checked out for like diaphragm/esophageal issues? My family has a history of hiatal hernias which is essentially like your diaphragm tightening over the top of your stomach, so food gets stuck in the pipes and burns regardless of what it is. It can go 'in and out of phase' for weeks at a time, kind of like what you're describing (and the hungrier thing also tracks):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...62116376789847

"Sliding hiatal hernias are common, especially in smokers"

It seems like there are half a dozen very similar afflictions that I've come across too, fwiw.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-01-2019 at 08:19 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #18616
RainMaker
General Manager

I just learned what ASMR is and what a weird subset of the internet (not in a bad way).

And back in the day we'd just watch Bob Ross paint.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-02-2019 at 01:39 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 AM   #18617
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I just learned what ASMR is and what a weird subset of the internet (not in a bad way).

It's huge!
Old 07-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #18618
cuervo72
Head Coach

That's funny, I was just reading the wiki page for that today. I've been putting rain sounds on youtube just for white noise when reading/working and ASMR links have popped up.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #18619
Radii
Head Coach

I don't get it often, but I do actually get the tingling sensation described with ASMR sometimes with whispering sounds and tapping sounds. I used to fall asleep to an ASMR playlist every night, but now I just use sleeping medications

Its very easy to see how someone not physically effected by it would think that its really weird, and like any other form of media, it has its very strange areas even for folks that do buy into the whole thing in a big way. And even for folks that do get it sometimes its only specific triggers, and everyone can have different triggers. Some ASMR that other people trigger hard on, I find repulsive, and vice versa. So it all adds up to make for a pretty confusing entry for a new person.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #18620
RainMaker
General Manager

I understand it. Reminds me of watching a Bob Ross video where you just feel comfortable. I don't get the tingle thing.

Anyway, I was more taken back by how huge it was. Videos with millions of views and millions of subscribers. They have to be making some serious bank.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #18621
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I understand it. Reminds me of watching a Bob Ross video where you just feel comfortable. I don't get the tingle thing.

Anyway, I was more taken back by how huge it was. Videos with millions of views and millions of subscribers. They have to be making some serious bank.

Many ASMR youtubers don't do ads on their videos, since the audio is the whole deal, so I think many make most of their income via patreon? There was one I supported on patreon for awhile who was making $2500/mo there.

Looking now at some of the bigger ones - since i haven't paid attention for awhile - it looks like they all have spotify/itunes types of presences and often encourage checking those out in video descriptions. Lots of affiliate links/sponsorships. One random video i clicked had a whispered spot for a VPN at the start. But yea still no ads. Some direct paypal links for donations, otherwise sponsorship/affiliate purchases/spotify is probably the bulk of income? That seems rough. One of the biggest ASMR folks for a very long time, Gentle Whispering, has a 1 day old video with 400,000 views but zero ads. That's got to be rough
Old 07-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #18622
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Many ASMR youtubers don't do ads on their videos, since the audio is the whole deal, so I think many make most of their income via patreon? There was one I supported on patreon for awhile who was making $2500/mo there.

Looking now at some of the bigger ones - since i haven't paid attention for awhile - it looks like they all have spotify/itunes types of presences and often encourage checking those out in video descriptions. Lots of affiliate links/sponsorships. One random video i clicked had a whispered spot for a VPN at the start. But yea still no ads. Some direct paypal links for donations, otherwise sponsorship/affiliate purchases/spotify is probably the bulk of income? That seems rough. One of the biggest ASMR folks for a very long time, Gentle Whispering, has a 1 day old video with 400,000 views but zero ads. That's got to be rough

I have no clue what any of this is, and it begs me to ask, WTF and head down some rabbit hole for the answer. Yeah, that ain't happening. I tried to read the wiki and I'm still lost. I need someone to ELI5.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #18623
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have no clue what any of this is, and it begs me to ask, WTF and head down some rabbit hole for the answer. Yeah, that ain't happening. I tried to read the wiki and I'm still lost. I need someone to ELI5.

I kinda did the same thing. Also don't really get it. The strangest feeling to me was reading an article or two on it, and no one was pointing out just how effing weird this is.

It would be like discovering there is a subset of people who search for dead fish left in streetside mailboxes, and there being a whole big community talking about it and supporting it and not one person even musing, "Ya know, this is some pretty weird sh*t!"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-03-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #18624
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Well this reply ended up being WAY longer than I thought it was going to be. tl;dr - yep, its WEIRD, but for those that experience it in a big way, its a pretty incredible sensation.

haha totally fair. stolen from a random article found when googling:

"ASMR stands for autonomous sensory meridian response, the technical term used to describe static-like tingles a person may experience around the head, neck, spine, and elsewhere when exposed to certain audio and visual triggers."

that's... pretty damn accurate. Basically folks that get "triggered" (in a good way) by these sensory things feel the tingling sensation mentioned above and it frequently generates a deep sense of calm and relaxation too, many people use this to wind down before bed or while falling asleep.

Bob Ross is really the best example possible to explain to someone who doesn't understand it at all. He almost always spoke in a very soft and calm manner that people would find relaxing. The audio on his program always emphasized all of the sounds the brushes would make, tapping against the canvas to make happy little trees. When he would wash the brushes the sound of the brush splashing in the water was elevated/emphasized. These things just generate an atmosphere of calm and relaxation whether you experience actual ASMR or not, for many people at least. But for people who DO experience ASMR, all of these things can potentially be much more intense in the effect that they have on the individual to the point of practically putting them in a zen like state of mind (his voice would be considered 'soft speaking' which is an ASMR trigger you can look up, I mentioned "tapping sounds" as something that triggers me personally, etc).

I've seen anecdotal things from veterans with PTSD or with injuries from combat who discovered ASMR and discovered they can be heavily triggered by ASMR videos and who credit that to being able to reduce the amount of pain medication they're on or to be able to lessen issues with PTSD episodes because of this "involuntary relaxation" that some ASMR triggered cause for them. Basically the point being, for those that really get it, it can feel pretty profound.

So on to the really silly shit or the "omg this is weird" - yeah, it really is. Some ASMR triggers are visual for some people, so a lot of ASMR videos involve "roleplay scenarios" like a doctors exam. Some people who get ASMR randomly found that real videos posted by doctors showing what a "cranial nerve exam" is like triggered them heavily, so that became a big thing in the ASMR community - a 'roleplay' ASMR vid of that type of exam. I don't get triggered by anything visual, only audio, so even to me who totally gets the concept - watching one of these videos makes me feel really fucking awkward. Another example is that some people are legitimately triggered by eating sounds or a generic "mouth sounds" - but most people DESPISE listening to someone who is a loud eater. So those videos are going to seem insane to most anyone who isn't specifically triggered by it.

And of course, that's just legitimate triggers that lots of people get. Since lots of legit ASMR involves visuals of one person being close to another, its very easily sexualized. So there is an odd erotic ASMR subset that is just weird and awful to me, but hey, people like what they like. And a lot of people who don't get these sensations at all just immediately assume that it MUST be sexual in nature and no one is willing to admit it.

And then finally you end up with people making fun of it or parodying it, making godawful noises and doing really weird shit in videos that won't trigger anyone, but if you don't know any better, you might find those and assume "wait some people like this?"

So yeah its all very strange. But for the people who get physical, involuntary sensations from whispering, or tapping, or whatever (those are my big triggers) - it can be a pretty intense and almost profound feeling. Also, lots of people who dont get ASMR do find some of it just in general relaxing - like watching a bob ross episode, which is probably what's allowed it to flourish in such a crazy way.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #18625
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This Gallagher case seems absurd to me. He stabbed the dude in the neck, talked proudly about it, and took pictures with the dead body, but because somebody ALSO asphyxiated the dude in between the time he was stabbed and the time he died, that means Gallagher can't be technically charged with murder. I kind of understand that part, what seems completely absurd is how the conservative media (and this dude's family) have managed to insist he's 100% somehow entirely innocent of anything and everything, and his morals are beyond reproach, because somebody else managed to squeeze in and murder the dude he had just murdered.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-03-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #18626
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
This Gallagher case seems absurd to me. He stabbed the dude in the neck, talked proudly about it, and took pictures with the dead body, but because somebody ALSO asphyxiated the dude in between the time he was stabbed and the time he died, that means Gallagher can't be technically charged with murder. I kind of understand that part, what seems completely absurd is how the conservative media (and this dude's family) have managed to insist he's 100% somehow entirely innocent of anything and everything, and his morals are beyond reproach, because somebody else managed to squeeze in and murder the dude he had just murdered.

No proof - best I can tell from reading various - that he stabbed him. He was photographed with a knife & the body, but a dark humor tweet (or IG?) falls well short of proof he stabbed him or did anything to him at all really.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #18627
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
No proof - best I can tell from reading various - that he stabbed him. He was photographed with a knife & the body, but a dark humor tweet (or IG?) falls well short of proof he stabbed him or did anything to him at all really.

The recap that I read said there were three eye witnesses that saw him stab the kid, and he sent out a picture with the dead body saying "I got him with my hunting knife" which sure doesn't meet my standards for any kind of joke, but YMMV and admittedly every story I've read about this case seems to be full of wildly different accounts/evidence/conclusions, so I hardly feel confident in my understanding of what happened.

....it just sounds fishy as hell, and seems like none of the facts that have made it to the public, even in the best possible light, match up with the level of righteous indignation coming from Gallagher and his family. That said, I understand it's hard for a civilian to process everything involved in a trial surrounding military actions under war.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #18628
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The account I read (which certainly could have changed) went so far to say that the guy who copped to asphyxiating the kid said he had done so entirely because Gallagher had just stabbed him in the neck, and he wanted give him a less painful, and quicker death. I'm understanding of how that gets him out of being charged with murder on a technicality, but it still leaves me baffled by the righteous response.

...tho again, I am entirely open to the fact that I may have been sucking down bullshit, because nothing seems to be consistent regarding the reporting on this case.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-03-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #18629
Logan
Head Coach

Had a random thought while watching a game earlier as the broadcast was showing pitcher stats. 5.1 IPs, 6 hits, 3 runs, whatever etc. It got me thinking...is innings pitched the only stat in baseball, and possibly sports, that gets displayed with an identifier/marker and isn't simply a counting stat or the result of some kind of calculation (whether very simple or very complex)?

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that is similar...being displayed in a numeric form that isn't truly numeric.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #18630
21C
College Prospect

Cricket has something similar for balls bowled in an over. A bowler can bowl 10.5 overs which means they bowled 10 complete overs (of six consecutive balls) and then an incomplete over of 5 balls.

Cricket. The game that astounds and confounds.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #18631
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The account I read (which certainly could have changed) went so far to say that the guy who copped to asphyxiating the kid said he had done so entirely because Gallagher had just stabbed him in the neck, and he wanted give him a less painful, and quicker death. I'm understanding of how that gets him out of being charged with murder on a technicality, but it still leaves me baffled by the righteous response.

The version I read earlier today said the guy said he killed him before any knife wound (it mentioned the absence of any blood from the wound as proof of the claim). And the "quicker death" reference was reported as being due to knowing that the Iraqis they had to turn him over to would first torture him and then kill him.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-04-2019 at 12:16 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #18632
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Hmm. That would certainly change the way I thought about things, though there were sooo many other nasty complaints lodged by other SEALS that I still find Gallagher & family's indignation kind of baffling. I guess upon discussion & reflection the truth seems so muddled & dissolved that it's probably not worth my sanity to get ruffled up over any of the particular details.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #18633
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

From what I have read, it seems to me Gallagher is guilty as hell, but basically got away with it because the Navy played CYA for a year, the initial lead prosecutor was an utter dumbass nearly to the point of dereliction of duty, and the medic fell on the sword for him, knowing there was no physical evidence remaining to disprove his confession and he had immunity for his "crime."

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #18634
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figure Trump was going to pardon him 2 seconds after conviction so whatever.

I assume the Commander in Chief can?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #18635
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media...rnd/index.html

I was never a Marvel/DC comic book guy. But Mad and Archie reading materials were staples of my childhood.

EDIT: I forgot to include Cracked also.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-04-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #18636
21C
College Prospect

I'm also sad to hear about the passing of MAD magazine. I bought my first issue in 1974 and still have my collection, including some from the 1960s, sitting in storage.

There's a nice piece about this from one of the regular contributors, Tom Richmond, on his website.
Richmond Illustration Inc.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #18637
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My six-year-old is attending a summer camp this week at the location where she once attended day care. This morning at drop-off, I was at the front desk writing them a check for last week (we were out of town,) and this one. The lady at the desk, who I know but hadn't seen at all this summer yet, remarked "Wow, Renee has really shot up like a weed," right as I was filling in the memo line of the check, and I responded to her while still writing. I wonder what the bank is going to think of my check with a memo line of "two weeks of weed." *shurg*
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #18638
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My son got whacked in the head by his little sister with a toy wooden broom handle this morning. Cut his head open, nice gusher. YAY ER VISITS!

Luckily, shallow cut, only 1 staple. And then we just had the fun of cleaning up all the dried blood on the floor in the house, which looked like a murder scene.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #18639
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dola....this ER we went to was the nicest, most laid back, most efficient hospital I've ever had the misfortune of visiting. Even the registration people were NICE. Funny, joked around, got us in and out of there in record time.

I'm not used to ER staff being actually friendly. Hell, even security was nice.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #18640
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
My son got whacked in the head by his little sister with a toy wooden broom handle this morning. Cut his head open, nice gusher. YAY ER VISITS!

Luckily, shallow cut, only 1 staple. And then we just had the fun of cleaning up all the dried blood on the floor in the house, which looked like a murder scene.

Minor head wounds bleed like that scene in The Shining.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #18641
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

How many times did you get questioned on how it actually happened?

My daughter got hit in the head and caused a gusher at..maybe 4 or 5 while playing with some other kids while her older brother played little league.

I swear every nurse in the building was sent to chat us up and "casually" ask..how did she get hit in the head?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #18642
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
How many times did you get questioned on how it actually happened?

My daughter got hit in the head and caused a gusher at..maybe 4 or 5 while playing with some other kids while her older brother played little league.

I swear every nurse in the building was sent to chat us up and "casually" ask..how did she get hit in the head?

I've been to the ER twice with a kid with injuries like that. Once, they did the "casual" thing. Once, they had a guy come up and say that he was with CPS and was going to ask questions because they had to fill out a mandatory report when there was a injury to a child.

I much preferred the second approach. I totally get having to do it, and I agree with the policy. No need to be coy about it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #18643
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I was expecting it, but no, didn't get any of that here. First thing I said at the front desk was, "close encounter with sister wielding broom handle", and that was that. No coy subtle attempts to question fifteen times, no CPS forms to fill out.

Not our first rodeo for cuts to the head, but our first time in Colorado Springs for it. Couple times we dealt with it in IL it was much more of the subtle interrogation attempts.

To be fair, the ER wasn't busy at all, we had time to chat with staff, so I'm guessing they are given leeway here for determining suspicious circumstances, and they felt we weren't a questionable case.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-10-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #18644
Radii
Head Coach

I saw an article mentioning Danny Green today and felt the need to come here to pat myself on the back.

The bar is low, I know, but this is the single smartest thing I've posted on this board:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - NBA Draft Lottery/Draft/Offseason thread.

My comment that was being questioned was "I think Danny Green has a better career than Wayne Ellington" on draft night. This was not the common belief among pretty much anyone, with Ellington drafted near the end of the first round and Green at 46th.

2009 NBA Draft | Basketball-Reference.com

Green has the 4th highest VORP in the 2009 draft, behind James Harden, Steph Curry, and Blake Griffin (significantly far behind, but still )
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #18645
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've done basically no research but I'm going to assume that Men's Soccer generates a ton more in licensing fees to TV and gate. I don't understand how equal pay can be a calling card when it's not the same job.

The percentage of revenue/profit paid as prize money should be the same.

Last edited by stevew : 07-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #18646
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've done basically no research but I'm going to assume that Men's Soccer generates a ton more in licensing fees to TV and gate. I don't understand how equal pay can be a calling card when it's not the same job.

Interestingly enough Forbes did an article on that subject, well close to it. Looking at the difference in prize pool money:
Revenue Disparity Explains Pay Disparity Between Soccer World Cup's Men And Women

Last edited by CU Tiger : 07-11-2019 at 04:04 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #18647
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

The thing is, most of that extraneous income is 'bundled.' It's not attributed directly to either USMNT or USWNT.

So when you're talking about which team brings in more, that's tougher to tease out. The women have been at basically parity with the men the last several years just on game income, which you CAN track.

But even if you want to ignore that, part of the pay gap is that the dudes get bonus pay even when they lose, where the women have to win to get a bonus, and their win bonus is smaller than the men's. That adds up.

Considering that match-day income has been, again, basically at parity the last several years, assigning sponsorship etc income (which, again, is bundled and not referential to either team) means making some assumptions about relative value...and we're right back to square one. A successful, championship women's team is treated as less valuable than a men's team that's made it to the round of 16 like, once, in the last hundred years.

Essentially the federation is arguing that the Rays' one AL pennant is more valuable than the Yankees' 20-something championships, because dudes.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #18648
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
But even if you want to ignore that, part of the pay gap is that the dudes get bonus pay even when they lose, where the women have to win to get a bonus, and their win bonus is smaller than the men's. That adds up.

Which couldn't possibly be because you need to make playing on the men's team at least somewhat appealing as opposed to the women's team which basically is the only exposure they get period. (And the only time enough people to fill a small room give two fucks that they even exist period).
Old 07-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #18649
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The thing is, most of that extraneous income is 'bundled.' It's not attributed directly to either USMNT or USWNT.

So when you're talking about which team brings in more, that's tougher to tease out. The women have been at basically parity with the men the last several years just on game income, which you CAN track.

Considering that match-day income has been, again, basically at parity the last several years, assigning sponsorship etc income (which, again, is bundled and not referential to either team) means making some assumptions about relative value...and we're right back to square one. A successful, championship women's team is treated as less valuable than a men's team that's made it to the round of 16 like, once, in the last hundred years.

Essentially the federation is arguing that the Rays' one AL pennant is more valuable than the Yankees' 20-something championships, because dudes.

Does your match day income include TV rights revenue?

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-11-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #18650
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

No, in addition to the obvious massive disparities in World Cup rights fee ($6b vs $130m), the women negotiated and signed a completely different contract. Because there wasn't a viable women's pro league they essentially set it up so that the women were paid a yearly salary + benefits the men aren't (because their club teams pay those), the USSF gives financial backing to the NWSL, and they play/host many more games than the USMNT does. They don't get the same attendance or ticket sales per game the men do, but they did make slightly more over that 3 year period because they play many more games - USWNT average attendance declines 22% in 2018 - World Soccer Talk USMNT average attendance for 2018 worst since 2006 - World Soccer Talk

The US women's system is also set up so backwards that they basically forced one of the best players (Lindsey Horan) to come back from higher paying clubs in France, and have told others if they don't play in the NWSL and instead pursue more lucrative overseas offers they won't have a chance to play for the national team.

There probably is some that can be done to make the bonuses more equal, especially because America is the only country where sponsorship money and attention are nearly the same, but 98% of people like to leave out (or are unaware) that the women chose to negotiate a completely different CBA that gave them more yearly security in exchange for lower bonuses and per diems.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote