Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2004, 08:37 PM   #101
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Oh I forgot, I love Capt Jack as well. That's three, which is still a very low percentage.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Dola.

And btw, it's precisely that type of crap that I freakin' hate. If you're going to go through the trouble of actually performing, then write your own damn songs! Otherwise, find that ugly, fatass producer down in Orlando, have him give you some songs to sing, learn some dance moves, and be the next NSync.

Case in point:

MARILYN MANSON are currently in the studio recording new material, some of which will appear on a "best of collection" that will be released this fall. Besides all of their classics, the album will feature the new single, a cover of DEPECHE MODE's "Personal Jesus".
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:56 PM   #103
Aardvark
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
he's a fucking pianist. thats it. Rock and roll people need to play guitar or something. If you are a pianist, you are nothing more than a 2 bit lounge monkey that made good.

Jerry Lee Lewis is a pianist, and he's been thrown out of more lounges than you've had hot dinners.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #104
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark
...and he's been thrown out of more lounges than you've had hot dinners.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #105
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
New (Old) Reason for Fritz:

2 songs on the Honeymoon in Vegas Soundtrack.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #106
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, wouldn't you know 'The Longest Time' came on when I was in CVS today, and damned if I didn't find myself whistling to it...
Old 04-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #107
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have a hatred of pretty much all music not written by the band/artist performing it.

I know a lot of people who share that opinion. They say that they don't like Group X because they don't write their own music, etc. I tell them that the real reason they don't like Group X is because they don't like Group X's music, not because of the group not writing their own music, that's just an excuse. They usually agree with me.

So, the best cello player in the world who plays Beethoven, the best violinist playing Stravinsky, the best trumpeters playing Gershwin, that's music you hate? But if that celloist wrote the song you'd like it? I doubt that, I think that it's just you don't like the brand of music.

I do hate it when a band or artist does a cover of a song and tries to be as close to the original as possible - that's not originality as all. How ho hum. So we can agree on that, at least. But I love it when a band or artist takes a song, twists it, and interprets it completely differently than before (See Rammstein's version of Depeche Mode's "Stripped" or Johnny Cash's version of NIN's "Hole" as examples of taking a song and completely changing it around).

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #108
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I know a lot of people who share that opinion. They say that they don't like Group X because they don't write their own music, etc. I tell them that the real reason they don't like Group X is because they don't like Group X's music, not because of the group not writing their own music, that's just an excuse. They usually agree with me.

So, the best cello player in the world who plays Beethoven, the best violinist playing Stravinsky, the best trumpeters playing Gershwin, that's music you hate? But if that celloist wrote the song you'd like it? I doubt that, I think that it's just you don't like the brand of music.

I do hate it when a band or artist does a cover of a song and tries to be as close to the original as possible - that's not originality as all. How ho hum. So we can agree on that, at least. But I love it when a band or artist takes a song, twists it, and interprets it completely differently than before (See Rammstein's version of Depeche Mode's "Stripped" or Johnny Cash's version of NIN's "Hole" as examples of taking a song and completely changing it around).

-Anxiety

I guess I should rephrase - I don't hate the music, I dislike artists who decide the only way they can be successful is to perform other people's music. It has absolutely nothing to do with the type or style of music; it has everything to do with creativity.

As far as classical music, I don't hate the music, but I don't have much respect for people who do nothing with their obvious talent but play someone else's music. I grew up playing piano, and after 15 years I could play some pretty complex stuff, but I quit when I realized that was all I could do, because I didn't want to be one of them. Again, it's got nothing to do with the music, because I played it for years and enjoyed it (although I didn't, and don't, listen to it otherwise).

I don't have a problem with cover songs per se. Really, my only objection is when an artist uses other people's music to make themselves successful. I just don't respect bands like Orgy or Alien Ant Farm or the Fugees or P Puff Diddy Daddy or Michael Bolton, "artists" who make themselves successful by covering songs that were already hits. Gee, how tough is that? How legitimate do you have to be to make a #1 song #1 again? However, I enjoy hearing covers by bands when they are thrown in on an album, or as part of a tribute or even as part of a themed CD of covers showing that artist's influences. To me, there's a legitimate reason for those types of covers aside from the "well we can't write a hit, so let's record someone else's and release it so we can have a hit and be known." Or, artists who have someone write everything they record, because they can't do much else but dance and sing. It's called Las Vegas - go open for Liza if that's what you want to do.

BUt as far as your main point goes - that I don't like the music, rather than the artist - you're wrong. I have equal disdain for artists who do this kind of thing, be it metal, rock, pop, country, whatever. Now, you will find more of this happening in pop music, and I certainly don't like the Britney Spears-type crap, but I'd hate that stuff even if she wrote every song and played every instrument on her albums. I would have quite a bit more respect for her, though, than I do right now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #109
Ksyrup

Is this what all of the snickering is that I hear around here?

BAYVILLE, New York (AP) -- Singer-songwriter Billy Joel was slightly injured and mostly embarrassed when he lost control of his car on a rain-slicked road and banged into a house, the Grammy Award-winning artist's third car accident in two years.

There was no evidence of alcohol or drug involvement and Joel was not suspected of any crime, said Nassau County police Officer Joan Eames, a police spokeswoman.

Witnesses said the accident occurred at about 4 p.m. Sunday, when Joel, driving a burgundy and black car, crashed through a row of bushes and banged into a small beige home one block from the beach.

"He seemed embarrassed that he lost control of the car," said witness Thomas Phillips Jr. "He said, 'I can't believe I got in another accident.' He was just going out to get a pizza."

The accident left a crack in the house's foundation and 6-foot-long skid marks in the sand in the street, witnesses said. Joel suffered a small cut on his left ring finger but refused medical attention, Eames said.

No one was in the car with Joel, and no one in the house was injured, police said. A call to Joel's publicist, Claire Mercuri, was not immediately returned Sunday.

Last year Joel was hospitalized after smashing his car into a tree along a highway on far eastern Long Island. No summonses were issued, and Joel was not given a Breathalyzer test.

Joel, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, escaped serious injury in a crash in East Hampton in June 2002. He later checked into a New Canaan, Connecticut, substance abuse and psychiatric center.

Joel was involved in a motorcycle accident on Long Island in 1983.

He and model Christie Brinkley, who divorced in 1994, have a teenage daughter, Alexa Ray. Following last year's car accident, Brinkley expressed concerns about their daughter riding in a car with him.

Joel has had more than two dozen Top 10 hits in his career, including his signature 1974 song "Piano Man." His music, including the title song "Movin' Out," is currently the subject of a Broadway musical.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #110
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Crap, I was about to post this in a thread intitled "Quicksand wanted for questioning"
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #111
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
or Alien Ant Farm
FWIW, I think they didn't like that perception either. I saw them open for 311 and they didn't even play Smooth Criminal. They actually were pretty good, and played half the set acoustically, which surprised me. They seemed like a good band that went with the gimmick to get attention, and now is trying to shed that label but retain the success.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #112
Ksyrup

This will make it much easier for QS to punch him in the face now...

His eyes do look a little red...

Billy Joel in Rehab

Stephanie Cole - Clear Channel News

After a recent stint in the hospital last month for severe gastric pains, Billy Joel has checked himself into rehab.

E!Online.com is reporting the singer has a drinking problem and wants to get help.

His representative said in a statement, "Following a recent bout of severe gastro-intestinal distress, Billy Joel has checked himself into an undisclosed rehabilitation facility for treatment of alcohol abuse. Mr. Joel has asked that his privacy be respected." This will be the entertainer's second stint in rehab. In 2002, he checked into a Connecticut facility for treatment of a substance-abuse problem.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #113
Critch
lolzcat

He's a quitter, another reason to dislike him.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #114
Radii
Head Coach

I'm on song 15 out of 50 on my Billy Joel playlist on my ipod. Aren't you all envious?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #115
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Three ideas come to mind QS:

1) it confirms your worst fears about the cultural/ntellectual level of out society that such bland, mediocre music can be so popular

2) a hatred of the guys who play his music as an easy option and won't take the trouble to find something more interesting

3) a realisation that these guys are probably more in touch with the cultural/intellectual level of our society than you are (and probably making a lot more money)
Old 03-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #116
QuikSand
lolzcat

As is so often the case, Mac, you're spot on.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #117
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Losers are users
and users are losers
So, don't lose your drugs
Don't lose your drugs!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #118
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I'm on song 15 out of 50 on my Billy Joel playlist on my ipod. Aren't you all envious?

No.

You know why? Because when you get to "Uptown Girl" you will put the snub-nosed .38 in your mouth and end the pain.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #119
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
As is so often the case, Mac, you're spot on.

But I missed one out, QS:

the radio station playing exactly the music you love to hear was closed down from lack of sponsership and popular support and was replaced by - a station playing Billy Joel music

Last edited by Mac Howard : 03-17-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM   #120
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I think that that's a lot of it with him. You don't get the sense that he really beleives anything that he is singing.

That would not be so bad (nothing wrong with singing something that you don't feel), except for the fact that he pretendsto be all deep and into his music. Getting up there and singing "Who shot the Na Na" is fine when you are not pretending that you are doing anything other than making fun music. Singing something heartfelt and feeling it is fine, too. But pretending to be deeper than you are when you are just faking it comes off as . . . fake.

The best example (there are many) is that song "Downeaster Alexis" (or something like that) where he gives a psuedo-soul tribute mourning the loss of his life at sea.

And--part and parcel with this whole thing is his image of himself as a musical genius. Blech.

Case in point is that until I read his eulogies last year, I thought Johnny Cash had done hard time for killing a man. Johnny Cash told stories that you wanted to believe.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #121
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
No.

You know why? Because when you get to "Uptown Girl" you will put the snub-nosed .38 in your mouth and end the pain.

I don't think he will get to Uptown Girl, it is probably just "We Didn't Start the Fire" on repeat.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 PM   #122
Ksyrup

Johnny Cash killed his wife in 1974, because she was in complete control of the profits from his music career and threatened to reveal that he had sex with a 16 year old backup singer.

Oh wait...that was an episode of Columbo.

Damn, he was good!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-17-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #123
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So I went to see Billy last night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut. I am not a huge fan, but I generally like his music.

He looks old and out of shape, but the guy can still put on a really great show. He has a great stage persona as well. About 90% of the set are his hits that everyone wants to hear. I hate when performers play a lot of their B-sides or deeper album tracks, especially if I am just a casual fan of the guy. Billy played the songs you know for the most part. Piano Man is a classic, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant was great. His piano solo was pretty amazing. He has some amazing musicians in his band, particularly his horn section.

Not sure how anyone can actually hate the guy, even if you are not a fan of his music. *shrug*

Finished third in a 100 dollar single table sit and go. Mohegan doesn't have a poker room but they have a half dozen electronic poker tables. It is actually pretty cool, though I still prefer having chips and cards...I can see this type of poker table becoming more popular though.

Here is a link to the pokerpro electronic table. I want one for my home.

http://www.playpokerpro.com/

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #124
SFL Cat
College Starter

I'll take Billy Joel over Barry Manilow any day of the week.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #125
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is this your twin QS?

http://www.slate.com/id/2209526/
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #126
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Thread moved per request.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #127
Groundhog
Coordinator

LOL yeah, I read that article yesterday. Funny stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #128
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Lindsay Lohan Gets Billy Joel Lyrics Tattooed on Her Trunk | Photos - ABC News
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #129
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just looking for this thread to bump. B
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #130
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lindsay Lohan is showing off her latest body art. The 25-year-old actress hit the tattoo parlor to get some inspirational words inked on her rib cage.
Her message of choice? "Clear as a crystal, sharp as a knife I feel like I'm in the prime of my life," lyrics from Billy Joel's 1989 hit song, "I Go to Extremes."
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trola

Would be a better story if she got a tattoo of Africa started slightly below her belly button and "Belgians in the Congo" to shed light on an area that was abused and ravaged.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #132
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

That use of "trunk" irks me more than Billy Joel ever has.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #133
JediKooter
Coordinator

She should get a tattoo of Bob Seger on her ass.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #134
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, it seems like this should at least make it a bit easier for the authorities to identify her corpse someday soon. *shurg*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #135
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Against the Wind?
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #136
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Downtown train?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #137
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hollywood Nights.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #138
gkb
High School Varsity

I ashamedly admit to singing Billy Joel's Lullabye Song to my newborn son. He started kindergarten this year. I will now proceed to manly weeping in the corner about my little angel and how fast he's growing.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #139
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think I speak for everyone, Agpete, when I say ...

fuck you Agpete. fuck you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete View Post
muwahahahaahahahah

Artist: Billy Joel
Song: We Didnt Start The Fire

Lyrics:

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
Brando, The King and I and The Catcher in the Rye

Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

CHORUS
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser aand Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc

Roy hn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, dacron
Dien Bien Phu falls, Rock Around the Clock

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev
Princess Grace, Peyton Place, trouble in the Suez

CHORUS

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, Bridge on the River Kwai

Lebanon, Charlse de Gaulle, California baseball
Starkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide

Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, space monkey, Mafia
Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go

U-2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

CHORUS

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say

CHORUS

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
Moonshot, Woodsto, Watergate, punk rock
Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan

Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore

CHORUS

We didn't start the fire
But when we are gone
Will it still burn on, and on, and on, and on...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #140
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

In high school I listened to Billy Joel a LOT. And it was always on the radio. Then I just stopped. And every time I hear a BJ song it reminds me of high school...which I did not like at all.

From a music standpoint it just cannot compare with more hardedgeed or explorative rock. It's mostly bubblegum pop, AM easy listening, and dare I say it wussrock.

There are some classics sure. Say Goodbye to Hollywood. Pressure. The Stranger. Sometimes a Fantasy. Stiletto. Zanzibar.
Admittedly the ones I like were more obscure songs from early/middle albums. I did like his attitude actually. He was just basically a toughguy slacker newyorker who was good at music. Being a Piano player centered in a rock band is tough and I generally like that sound. But I prefer Joe Jackson or Ben Folds and Elton John (in that order) to Billy. Maybe it's because I have heard BJ's songs waywaywaywaywaywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much EVERYWHERE. (and not even the ones I like).
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #141
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

and he's tradin' in his chevy for a cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac-ac
you oughta know by now
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #142
Schmidty
Coordinator

I like it when a thread is bumped from years and years ago, and people post in without noticing that it's old and they are very late to the party.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #143
RedKingGold
College Starter

=

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #144
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

=

LOL I get it!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #145
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Look, I listened to a lot of Billy Joel. I admit it, I remember the Pressure video, Allentown video, and the godawful Only Human...I bought Storm Front for chrissakes.

I didn't know any better.

That being said, there were/are a few gems. Let's face it, the guy was able to market schlock and make a killing, he even married a supermodel.

Now Bob Segar, you don't mess with....harp all you want about "Like a Rock" and "Against the Wind", the man paid his dues. "Strut", hell, the entire "Stranger in Town" album is a stone cold classic. I even like the maudlin "Main Street"...and his "Turn the Page" basically locks how hard it was being a touring man in the 70's (before it became a fad to write sappy power ballads about missing your woman while you were doing as many women on the road and drugs to offset missing that particular woman)...at least "Turn the Page" is about the isolation and weariness of performing...I love "Night Moves" too.

And I do love Journey too, but Boston sucks.

eff you for juding me

btw- really into Harry Nilsson now
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 09-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #146
Ksyrup

I like Seger, but that's probably because I'm from Detroit and when I think of my childhood there in terms of music (we moved when I was 10), it's basically Seger, Ted Nugent, and WRIF.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #147
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yup Seger's got soul and his guitar playing is top notch.

I don't like all his songs but a good number of em. Against the WInd, Night Moves, Main Street. Can't stand LIke a Rock though. I can deal with Turn the Page.

Blech Nugent. He had like one song and I don't even like it. I like old Journey before Greg Rollie left. After ROllie was just horrible horrible power ballads and nothing but.
Perry is a douchebag.

Not sure how you can LIKE Journey and HATE Boston. It's the same type of sound. I do like Brad Delp and his high high notes.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All I heard growing up was that Mark Knopfler was a genius. I don't see it.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #149
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

They do respect her, but...
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #150
JPhillips
General Manager

Isn't it time to turn the page on Lohan?