Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #51
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nice thing I found from reddit on making parallel curved highways.

http://imgur.com/a/SBm7t

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #52
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Bought it yesterday, I'll just add to the pile of praise. This game is as addicting as any Civ game. I played it for 5 hours, had to force myself to stop and I'm still itching to get back in it. I can't remember the last time a game had me immediately engrossed.

So enjoyable. And full price at $30? If you like this type of game there is no reason to wait. Won't disappoint.

I read some comments that there was some learning curve and not a lot of hand holding. I don't know, if you've played the SimCity games you should be able to pick this up pretty quickly. If you don't understand what G/Y/B zones are, you may want to read one of the many guides people have put together on Steam.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #53
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Any idea on how to connect electricity? My zones are complaining of no power, but I can't seem to connect the power lines to them - it stops just outside, and if I build the power lines inside they don't appear as blue so I guess they don't have power. Finding this whole thing very confusing so far.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #54
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I haven't had a problem with electricity - as long as the power lines connect the blue area around the power plant with the blue area around the buildings, you should be good.

Each blue area needs to be connected, but once any part of a blue area is connected, the whole place should have power.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #55
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Electricity doesn't flow immediately, power icon will blink for a few seconds before they go away.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #56
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Any idea on how to connect electricity? My zones are complaining of no power, but I can't seem to connect the power lines to them - it stops just outside, and if I build the power lines inside they don't appear as blue so I guess they don't have power. Finding this whole thing very confusing so far.

Extend your lines from withing the blue of your power source (always use turbines) until they are inside the blue of the area that needs power. As your neighborhood grows, the power spreads from neighbor to neighbor, so all you need is one touch point and then let the growth of that area spread the power for you.

This is always a good start: Things you should know before launch [Tips & Tricks] : CitiesSkylines

and the wiki has some pretty valuable early game explanations.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #57
chinaski
College Prospect

out of all the mods, this is by far my favorite: Steam Workshop :: Extended Road Upgrade - Upgrade between one- and two-way roads!

Upgrade between one and two way roads! Massive timesaver.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #58
chinaski
College Prospect

My current mod list:

Steam Workshop :: Extended Road Upgrade - Upgrade between one- and two-way roads!
Steam Workshop :: Traffic Report Tool (Beta)
Steam Workshop :: AutoSave - Configurable
Steam Workshop :: HideUI
Steam Workshop :: Mod Achievement Enabler
Steam Workshop :: First Person Camera
Steam Workshop :: Refund
Steam Workshop :: Tree Brush
Steam Workshop :: Chirpy Exterminator
Steam Workshop :: Automatic Bulldoze
Steam Workshop :: All Spaces Unlockable

All of these are essential imo!

I would recommend resisting the urge to download a ton of interchanges, it's insanely difficult to weed thru all of the downloaded interchanges in game, if you stick with just a handful that meet your consistent needs, it makes things much easier to manage.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #59
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
My current mod list:

Steam Workshop :: Extended Road Upgrade - Upgrade between one- and two-way roads!
Steam Workshop :: Traffic Report Tool (Beta)
Steam Workshop :: AutoSave - Configurable
Steam Workshop :: HideUI
Steam Workshop :: Mod Achievement Enabler
Steam Workshop :: First Person Camera
Steam Workshop :: Refund
Steam Workshop :: Tree Brush
Steam Workshop :: Chirpy Exterminator
Steam Workshop :: Automatic Bulldoze
Steam Workshop :: All Spaces Unlockable

All of these are essential imo!

I would recommend resisting the urge to download a ton of interchanges, it's insanely difficult to weed thru all of the downloaded interchanges in game, if you stick with just a handful that meet your consistent needs, it makes things much easier to manage.

This is great and helpful. Thanks!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #60
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thanks for this post, I can easily see the decision-makings. However, why did you decide to build a Manhattan-esque skyscraper zone? Is this game going to trend towards covering all the land with high-rise residential/commercial zones like the monstrosities that people built in SC4?

Because I got access to them.

But no, I don't think it will at all. Not if you want industrial zones, which is half the fun IMO - trying to reduce traffic is the hardest part of the game. I don't think it's bugged at all like people claim, it's just difficult.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-16-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #61
frnk55
High School Varsity

I read paradox sold 250,000 copies in the first 24 hours. Great game with large maps and mods.
And to think I bought SC 5. Ugh.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #62
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
I read paradox sold 250,000 copies in the first 24 hours. Great game with large maps and mods.
And to think I bought SC 5. Ugh.

And another 250,000 since then.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #63
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure if others ran into the same issue but with dual monitors it was really aggravating me how the screen scroll wouldn't work well "towards" the second monitor. I installed this program called DualMonitor Tools - it includes a utility called Swapscreen which gives you the option to lock the cursor to your main screen. Fire up SS and then CS and you're good to scroll in all directions.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #64
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Not sure if others ran into the same issue but with dual monitors it was really aggravating me how the screen scroll wouldn't work well "towards" the second monitor. I installed this program called DualMonitor Tools - it includes a utility called Swapscreen which gives you the option to lock the cursor to your main screen. Fire up SS and then CS and you're good to scroll in all directions.

Theres also a mod in the workshop called cursor jail.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #65
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I saw that also but seems to have some issues so I will stick with this till they get the kinks worked out.

edit - Actually scratch that, Cursor Jail seems to work for me and is better than my option.

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-16-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #66
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
This is great and helpful. Thanks!

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Because I got access to them.

But no, I don't think it will at all. Not if you want industrial zones, which is half the fun IMO - trying to reduce traffic is the hardest part of the game. I don't think it's bugged at all like people claim, it's just difficult.

Thank you.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #67
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Really only issue I've had so far is I keep getting icons for uncompleted routes on public transport. I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or it's a bug, but I'm not sure what's incomplete. I add the stops and end on complete line.

I even got this annoying sub station that I demoloished altogether and it's still there with that icon and people bunching up waiting to board.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-16-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #68
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:

Also, make sure you un-pause the game if you are paused. you won't see any effects of changes until the sim is running again.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Watched parts of quill18's Let's Play and like what I see so far - seeing curved roads was cool. The one thing that made me most excited was seeing the thumbnail below

Is that background on the start menu actually from the game (i.e., a layout you can actually develop)?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 03-16-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #70
chinaski
College Prospect

Coming up on 45k in my city. I completely demolished my highways and started over from scratch. Connected all my zones much better than before, so very satisfying. Hardly any traffic at all now. garbage trucks.... uuuugggghhhh garbage trucks.. Always imagine where your garbage trucks are traveling.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #71
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Also, are there or could there be mods to develop real/historical places from scratch (like Boston peninsula or Bay Area, for example)?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #72
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Is that background on the start menu actually from the game (i.e., a layout you can actually develop)?

Yep, absolutely
Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #73
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Also, are there or could there be mods to develop real/historical places from scratch (like Boston peninsula or Bay Area, for example)?

Yes, there are tons of them already in the workshop. You can actually import "official" geographical height maps into the map editor and apparently the results are very good. Ive only played the default maps so far, but the custom ones ive seen have been really nice.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #74
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, chinaski.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, someone has already recreated Los Santos from GTA V. Pretty dang impressive, considering the game just came out.

edit for link: http://steamed.kotaku.com/someone-re...nes-1691416466
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-16-2015 at 10:33 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #76
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One thing I have just now discovered is those nice touchy-feely policies can be crazy expensive! I only had two turned on but the costs of those two were almost half of my total expenses!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 AM   #77
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I ended up just getting used to using the ASDW keys to move around the map instead of the mouse due to dual monitors

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #78
corbes
College Benchwarmer

If I buy this game I'm going to wind up divorced and unemployed within six months.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #79
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I decided to start with a new city after I managed to completely flood my city of 50,000 people beyond repair. Woops!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #80
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If you start a new city does everything you unlocked in the previous one stay unlocked, or do you have to go through that process every time?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #81
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you start a new city does everything you unlocked in the previous one stay unlocked, or do you have to go through that process every time?

I think it stays locked.

But I do believe there is an option to have everything unlocked at the start of the game, as well as unlimited money.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #82
dzilla77
High School Varsity

I thought I read that the monuments and some other stuff stayed unlocked, but you still had to meet certain requirements like population to build them.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #83
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am so hooked on this game. You know you're making the shift to a more educated workforce when all your old blue-collar factories have the "not enough workers" icons and your high-tech offices are jammed with workers.

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-18-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #84
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Really only issue I've had so far is I keep getting icons for uncompleted routes on public transport. I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or it's a bug, but I'm not sure what's incomplete. I add the stops and end on complete line.

I even got this annoying sub station that I demoloished altogether and it's still there with that icon and people bunching up waiting to board.

Is this on one-way roads? Make sure when laying the one-way roads and highways that you drag in the direction you want them to go. Learned this by making a highway that was connected but still had the symbols in the new area.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #85
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

No, same icon, but it's train and subway.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #86
Peregrine
Pro Starter

So much is so polished in this game it's a shame stuff like highway connections and overpasses are so bad. I got so furious about not being able to build rails over a highway I had to install a mod which lets you build pillar-less rails. It's immersion breaking but seemed necessary since C:S has apparently never heard of a rail bridge.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #87
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've built rail bridges over roads. Don't think I've tried highways specifically though.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #88
Peregrine
Pro Starter

In theory it works, but the game has a set idea of where the pillars have to be for a rail bridge - and if your road setup is one pixel out of line of what that is, you just can't do it without demolishing your highway.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #89
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I really am enjoying the game, and I cannot wait for upgrades.

I can't wait to refine my skill, my latest and most successful city is a sloppy mess...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #90
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I really am enjoying the game, and I cannot wait for upgrades.

I can't wait to refine my skill, my latest and most successful city is a sloppy mess...

totally agree. I'm sitting here at work thinking about my next move(s) for tonight when I fire it up again.

Last night was the first time I felt like I had a lot of things working and going right (after I figured out what I was doing wrong with the one way road/highway thing. Yes, you have to create the road in the direction you want the traffic to go).

A few things to note:

Wind power is the way to go.

Taking loans are necessary.

Creating districts were a little wonky with the paint brush but once I got the hang of it, very cool.

I was surprised how cheap the next parcels of land were.

The game is totally mind consuming.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #91
korme
Go Reds

How does this game shape up for someone with a laptop and no controller? I watched a walkthrough on youtube and this guy was moving the view all over the place
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #92
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Why would you hook a controller to a laptop?! Laptops come with a keyboard and you can get a mouse pretty cheap.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #93
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I haven't put in much time, but I've been wondering - coal power is much more cost efficient than wind in the early game. If I replace my coal power plants with wind later, does the pollution go away eventually?

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-18-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #94
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know if I've lucked out or what, but with my first try on my first city I am inching up on 100k, everyone is consistently happy, no crime(even with very little law enforcement), constant growth and 40-50k a week. I did take a couple loans out early on, but paid them both back well before they were due.

Traffic could be better, which is my current project. But with my cash flow and current state of the city I should be able to tear down and build up as needed.

I put a huge focus on education early and public transportation later. Used unique building as they became available to build new districts. I demolished all my oil plants and replaced with Nuclear reactors, will likely do the same with coal at some point. I never saw the energy that was generated by windmills as being worth it.

Only hiccup was building up industrial, but used the "blue collar" tactic I believe someone posted on here and that fixed that issue.

Beyond that I tweaked taxes and policies as needed, but honestly my cash flow is such that I can set them to all spend aggressively and it will have a relatively small impact on my bottom line.

My only long term concern is I didn't realize there was a set amount of land blocks you could buy, I think once you hit 80k people you are maxed, correct? I may have expanded differently had I known that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I haven't put in much time, but I've been wondering - coal power is much more cost efficient than wind in the early game. If I replace my coal power plants with wind later, does the pollution go away eventually?

Yes, I believe that's the case.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-18-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #95
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jeff, thanks for sharing your experiences. Sounds great.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #96
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I never saw the energy that was generated by windmills as being worth it.

Personally I pretty much only use wind for my city (and some incinerators.) Wind is more expensive up front but the maintenance costs are a lot cheaper, and once you get advanced windmills you can build them in the water so they don't take up space in your city. Plus no pollution (except noise.)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have some buildings abandoned due to lack of enough educated workers. Do those buildings eventually become re-occupied if I get more educated workers or do I have to bulldoze them and let the land be rebuilt?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #98
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Abandon buildings eventually get torn down on their own and built over. I've been watching Skye Storme's youtube let's play and he hardly ever bulldozes abandoned buildings.

He does however stay with a minimalist fire department and just bulldoze buildings that catch on fire.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #99
bhlloy
Coordinator

Major fucking annoyance that the map editor is buggy as shit - I've downloaded a map of my hometown off Steam, have to edit the map so the starting square is by the one highway exit and doing that puts me 800k in debt somehow. If I use the original map it's fine, I start with the correct amount of money but nobody moves into the city because there's no connection.

Edit to add that the game isn't even playable even with unlimited money, things disappear and reappear as you zoom the mouse in and out and you can't actually place roads or zones. Great game, but you knew Paradox would sneak an annoying bug in there that would break something.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-19-2015 at 12:47 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #100
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I have some buildings abandoned due to lack of enough educated workers. Do those buildings eventually become re-occupied if I get more educated workers or do I have to bulldoze them and let the land be rebuilt?

They will be rebuilt - I use the Automatic Bulldozing mod which actually gets rid of the abandoned buildings automatically and they will usually rebuild pretty quickly.