CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:20 AM   #103
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
meatloaf

His name was Robert Paulson…
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #104
BYU 14
Coordinator

He was an amazing entertainer, R.I.P (And thought he was younger than that)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:33 AM   #105
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
He was an amazing entertainer, R.I.P (And thought he was younger than that)
Really? I thought he was much older. I remember watching him preform on a late night Rock TV show in the 70's and I thought he was old then. Of course I was like 8, so...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My mom used to listen to Bat out of Hell on 8 track. When I was about 9 she explained to me what Paradise by the Dashboard Light was about.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #107
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

DAMNIT
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:15 AM   #108
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe it's just me.

But the older that people are when they die, the less sad I feel when it happens. If you live to, say, 100 then I consider that a life fully lived. If you die at 60, then it just seems that there was unfulfilled potential that has been thrown away. Even more for someone in their 20s dying and especially a kid. Just so much wasted potential and a lot "What could've been..." question could be asked.

I recently had a young coworker die who was in their 20s that I barely knew. I think I felt more sad than I did when my 95 year old Grandmother died.

I'm just spilling thoughts from my head. Ignore it.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #109
cuervo72
Head Coach

No, not just you.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

And I swear it's true, I was just about to say "I love you".

R.I.P., Meat Loaf. Time for me to give the Bat out of Hell album a listen.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-21-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I listened to it this morning. My 11 year old came down and asked if he could change it and I was like, NO!!!!

Last edited by Lathum : 01-21-2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He swore that he didn't realize he had a three and a half octave range until after he was hit in the head by a shotput at a track meet.

Wherever you are today, thank you wayward shotput thrower.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #113
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Seeing some of the more recent photos/videos of him, he definitely looked old. He's about the age of my parents and looks 10 years older.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #114
Ksyrup

And apparently it is Covid-related.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

Heaven doesn't have to wait any longer.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #116
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Louie Anderson passed away this morning too
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #117
Ksyrup

Yeah, I think Louie went the Freddie Mercury information release route, going public with a blood cancer issue a couple of days ago, obviously knowing he was going to pass. RIP.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #118
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And apparently it is Covid-related.

Yeah, I saw a tweet from Mitt Romney on his passing and wondered regarding this and his views.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #119
Ksyrup

I did see a bit more context on Meatloaf and the vaccination stuff, which suggested he was cautious about getting the vaccine because of a slew of other health issues. So he might have been anti-mandate and not vaxxed, but there may have been an underlying reason for it that makes some sense.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #120
RainMaker
General Manager

I loved that Meatloaf just went crazy on his music videos. I believe Michael Bay got his start directing some.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:31 AM   #121
Ksyrup

I also saw that he was involved in a reality show that was titled (and based on his song) I Would Do Anything For Love...But I Won't Do That. And after reading that, I really hoped it was going to be, like, a Playboy/Hustler reality show or something along those lines!
Old 01-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #122
cartman
Death Herald

Mr. Loaf lived about 10 miles away from me
Old 01-22-2022, 06:04 AM   #123
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thich Nhat Hanh, Influential Zen Buddhist Monk, Dies at 95

Last edited by QuikSand : 01-22-2022 at 06:05 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #124
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Louie Anderson passed away this morning too

Fuuuuck. If anyone hasn't seen Baskets, which lasted 4 seasons, it's a pretty good watch. Louie was great in it.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #125
miami_fan
Coordinator

Howard Hesseman Dead: Johnny Fever on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’ Was 81 – The Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Howard Hesseman, who made a career out of portraying off-the-wall characters, none more popular than the disc jockey Johnny Fever on the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati, has died. He was 81.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #126
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

One of my favorites of the late 70s early 80s. Loved that show and he was my favorite on it!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #127
Ksyrup

Gave me a reason to revisit the Head of the Class cast.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #128
Ksyrup

Maybe not a famous name, but in deed... RIP Jon Zazula. He and his wife were about as influential in the metal world in the 80s as anyone. He signed Metallica, among countless other bands he signed/managed and also created Megaforce Records.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #129
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gerald Williams, who played with Yankees, Braves and others in 14-year MLB career, dies at 55
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #130
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ken Rosenthal just announced that Jeremy Giambi died today at his parents house.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #131
molson
General Manager

Bob Saget's cause of death was head trauma. Hit his head on something, went to sleep, died. Scary shit.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:10 PM   #132
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Bob Saget's cause of death was head trauma. Hit his head on something, went to sleep, died. Scary shit.

Weird. Slipped in the shower maybe?
Old 02-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #133
Ksyrup

The way they explained it, it sounds like he might have texted or told someone about it. And then he went to sleep and never woke up.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 PM   #134
cuervo72
Head Coach

So a Natasha Richardson deal then?
Old 02-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #135
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ken Rosenthal just announced that Jeremy Giambi died today at his parents house.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I thought this was the case but now there is confirmation.

Coroner - Former major leaguer Jeremy Giambi died by suicide

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The death of former major leaguer Jeremy Giambi was a suicide, the office of the Los Angeles County medical examiner-coroner said Friday.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:50 AM   #136
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Oof, this one hurts

Ivan Reitman, producer and director of 'Ghostbusters,' has died at 75
Old 02-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #137
tarcone
Coordinator

I like the old format better. I rarely pop in here because I dont want to search for who died. I would rather it be in the title so I know right off the bat.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:39 AM   #138
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Sounds like there is more to this story.

Quote:
Bob Saget's family on Tuesday filed a lawsuit to block the release of records from the investigation of his sudden death at the age of 65. Saget was found dead on January 9 in an Orlando hotel room after doing a stand-up show the previous night. On February 9, his family said that he had died of a head trauma, saying in a statement: 'They have concluded that he accidentally hit the back of his head on something, thought nothing of it and went to sleep.' Yet on February 11, the chief medical examiner of Orange and Osceola counties said that Saget had serious skull fractures - raising questions about the previous explanation. One analyst, looking at the report, said the injuries were consistent with being hit with a baseball bat or falling 30 feet.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #139
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

P.J. O’Rourke, irreverent author and commentator, dead at 74

It's been a while since I've read any of his work, but remember always enjoying it back in the day.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #140
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Ya, I've heard the conspiritards have gotten a hold of this story now. Especially because of the fact that he also had COVID.

I'm not a doctor, but I believe, and know I have heard of, senior citizen-aged people getting skull fractures from falls (and not just falls from 30 feet or baseball bat attacks).

And I find it hard to believe that the family wants to cover up a murder as opposed to say, private, possibly embarrassing details about their loved one's health and death.

Last edited by molson : 02-16-2022 at 05:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #141
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I can't say I see the public's need to know on this one. I guess he could have been murdered but it feels like we are just being nosy re: the records.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Famed 'Candy Bomber' Gail Halvorsen Dies at 101 - Air Force Magazine

I talked with Col. Halvorsen a couple of times. One of the kindest men I have ever met. We have lost a great one and one who was the very best of us.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #143
AlexB
Pro Starter

Mark Lanegan has lost his post Covid battle

Mark Lanegan has died aged 57

Sweet Oblivion was the first time I’d heard of him, and remains one of my favourite albums, and he released some great stuff with Soulsavers too

Last edited by AlexB : 02-22-2022 at 04:06 PM. Reason: A better linked article
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #144
Critch
lolzcat

Gary Brooker, front man of Procol Harum also today:

Procol Harum singer Gary Brooker dies at 76
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #145
Ksyrup

Damn, sad to hear about Lanegan. Screaming Trees was one of the few bands I latched onto during my brief interest in grunge.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #146
Ksyrup

Apparently Julio Cruz passed away. The dad who played in the 70s-80s, not the son. I haven't seen much of anything about it, but the little I've gleaned, it was cancer. RIP.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-23-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #147
Ksyrup

Unfortunately my second entry for today - and one I have not heard about in YEARS - the Amazing Jonathan.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:40 PM   #148
Butter
Coordinator

There is a trippy documentary about him on Hulu I think. It's a couple years old by now but it was pretty clear he wasn't in good health in there
Old 02-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #149
Ksyrup

Following up on the Saget thing, this article provides the latest theory as to what might have happened - he hit his head on the marble bathroom floor, regained consciousness, wasn't aware enough to understand how bad his injuries were or wasn't able to call for help, made it to the bed, and eventually died.

What Really Happened to Bob Saget? New Details on His Final Hours

What this vaguely reminds me of, although not nearly as severe, is the Porco murder case from NY about 15-20 years ago. Chris Porco attempted to murder his parents with an axe while they slept. His mother, deformed, survived (and still believes her son is innocent). His father did not - however, he did not immediately die. About the only part of his brain that survived was the part that controlled basic functions. So when his alarm went off, dude was essentially dead but used the bathroom, shaved, went downstairs, loaded the dishwasher and did some other chores, went outside to get the paper, got locked outside but was able to get the spare key from under a mat, let himself in, and finally collapsed at the foot of the stairs from blood loss and died there.

Definitely seems like something similar happened with Saget. He was conscious enough to get up and move, but unable to recognize his injuries or do anything about them, got to the bed, probably lost consciousness again, and died.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #150
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Unfortunately my second entry for today - and one I have not heard about in YEARS - the Amazing Jonathan.

Just saw this. RIP. I watched his Comedy Central stand up shows every time they were on back in the late 90s, early 2000s.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote