Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Being The AD 3: One Step At A Time (FBCB2K10)

This is my third go at this. As in previous iterations, I will serve as the athletic director at a school, meaning my job is to hire a head coach and hopefully see if my hiring skills enable to program to thrive under his leadership. In the event he leaves, we have to find someone else and if he's fired before I can fire him it means that I've been fired too and that's all she wrote for me.

I've decided to stay at the same school for ten years unless fired, then we'll head to another school and reset the clock all over again. Three firings and we're done.

As some of you who've been following know, I use a spreadsheet called CoachCalc to determine how much my program can afford to hire a coach. I've expanded CoachCalc to make it even more challenging to hire the "right" guy, because honestly all you really have to do is look at ratings and call it good.

In addition, I've come up with a "coach bonus" that is calculated using coach level, net wins, conference titles and national titles. This ensures that we can't swipe a coach that wins a national title for the most part, even if the game might pry him from somewhere, it raises his asking price significantly like real life. I might incorporate Final Fours into that formula at some point, too.

Here are the hiring house rules in addition to Coach Calc which will take into account the school's budget, prestige and conference prestige in coming up with how much the school can afford to pay a head coach (and what he's making in his current job if he's an existing HC.

1. Level 1 and 2 Conference restrictions: In this current iteration of the original file (I've simmed ahead to 1981, having played some in-between) I decided a few years ago to experiment with removing the auto-bid from conferences rated 1 or 2 prestige. As such, I've added two other tournaments (Tournament of Champions and National Collegiate Tournament) to give these teams someplace to go. I've noticed that so long as a team wins their conference or conference tournament, they'll usually get invited to one of the two lesser tournaments if they're a team that would've in the past received an auto-bid.

2. Career Assistant Clause: Assistants who are over the age of 50 cannot be hired, even if they've been head coaches before. This is really to prevent from the poaching of otherwise "experienced" guys who load up on attributes on good teams after flaming out as head men.

Those are the parameters, coupled with the financial restraint that CoachCalc imposes. The new formula should make hiring even more competitive, because once a guy has success and is priced out of the range of the school we're working at -- if it's a limited budget school -- I will intentionally move him on to a higher job and commence the head coach search process again.

So with that, we're going to get started with picking our school that we'll hopefully lead to a successful basketball decade.

Due to the stat dumpy nature of this, I just killed it. I thought I could delete the entire thread, but apparently not.

The same universe used in all three of the "Being The AD" series is continued in my latest dynasty, The Rise of CCNY

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote