Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #2451
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funnily enough I felt almost completely the opposite. An exercise in annoying narcissists talking shit for most of the series but I thought the final episode was well done. I agree on the lack of consequences but I thought the final episode did a decent job of providing the counter argument - many of the people who turned the tickets in were either deceived themselves or naive and hoping to improve their lot in life. I do think Jacobsen should still be rotting in prison, but we have a fascination with treating white collar crime with a slap on the wrist.

And yeah, the big reveal (as in who was the informant) was very meh and crammed in at the end. Not my favorite series and I’m not sure how it got such good ratings.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #2452
Butter
Coordinator

You're both wrong. McMillions had some draggy parts (like the whole episode with Gloria Brown), but it worked to establish how many of these people got drug into this. Sure, she wanted the money, but when it came time to do it, I really think that she basically only did it because she was afraid of Jerry Colombo.

Also, Special Agent Doug was nice to actually see that there are, you know, PEOPLE in law enforcement and not just power hungry automatons.

Really enjoyed it, start to finish.

I hear TIGER KING on Netflix is pretty nuts, so that's probably my next go-to.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #2453
JPhillips
General Manager

Tiger King is definitely nuts.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #2454
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I watched all of Tiger King yesterday. Super nuts!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:21 AM   #2455
Groundhog
Coordinator

Raising Dion is fun, in a cheesy comic book kind of way. The tone of it sorta sits somewhere around the Marvel Netflix universe shows and something like The Arrow in its peak, but it gets a little dark at times.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #2456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Raising Dion is fun, in a cheesy comic book kind of way. The tone of it sorta sits somewhere around the Marvel Netflix universe shows and something like The Arrow in its peak, but it gets a little dark at times.

Yeah, at first I was kinda like this is too kid-like for me, but kept watching because it's filmed and set in Atlanta and I wanted to go "I know where that is". But it gets dark real quickly midseason and becomes something really interesting.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #2457
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I watched all of Tiger King yesterday. Super nuts!
If you want more there's some gems on the Joe Exotic youtube channel. That guy filmed everything. As far as the documentary goes did you notice when the employee got her arm bitten off he took the time to change into an EMT jacket with badge before responding, in episode 2. For some reason that had me rolling all night.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #2458
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
If you want more there's some gems on the Joe Exotic youtube channel. That guy filmed everything. As far as the documentary goes did you notice when the employee got her arm bitten off he took the time to change into an EMT jacket with badge before responding, in episode 2. For some reason that had me rolling all night.

Holy crap I hadn't noticed that, I'll have to go back and re-watch that part. I just remember being floored at his reaction after it was over. "I will never recover from this financially" or something to that effect. I couldn't believe it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #2459
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I was so bummed to find out Joe Exotic didn't even sing his own songs.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #2460
Radii
Head Coach

two episodes into Tiger King, its absolutely bananas, I'll probably finish it tonight.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #2461
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ozark is such an awesome series. It gets better each season.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #2462
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I have found the whole bit with the therapist particularly humorous.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #2463
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

The actress who plays Mya is a grad school friend. This is potentially a big break for her.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #2464
tarcone
Coordinator

I love Ozark. Cant wait for the next season and being a Missourian the locations are recognizable.

Also, Watch Badland and blood Father. 2 very good action movies. Badland was a Western really well done. Followed the script but was really good. Father Blood was just a fun romp. Mel Gibson and Selena Gomez worked well together.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:26 AM   #2465
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Started Man In The High Castle yesterday, ep 2 tonight.

The problem I'm sensing thus far is that the universe is exponentially more interesting than the characters we've been given as inhabitants. And the acting is, umm, I'll go with uneven.

Absent the current real world situation, I can definitely say that this wouldn't have gotten an ep2 look here following S1 E1
Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #2466
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The problem I'm sensing thus far is that the universe is exponentially more interesting than the characters we've been given as inhabitants. And the acting is, umm, I'll go with uneven.

Yep... that was my exact issue, although I'm not sure I expressed that well enough to my wife. We lasted the entire first season until the plot issues drove me too nuts.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #2467
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Started Man In The High Castle yesterday, ep 2 tonight.

Absent the current real world situation, I can definitely say that this wouldn't have gotten an ep2 look here following S1 E1

Yes. The universe had so much potential. And it was wasted. I made it through season one. Started 2 and quit. Just couldnt do it.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #2468
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yes. The universe had so much potential. And it was wasted. I made it through season one. Started 2 and quit. Just couldnt do it.

The world was interesting, the characters were not. I think I made it through 2, but had no will left to care beyond that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #2469
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean that's just a factor of Philip K. Dick's work in general. Very interesting ideas - terrible characters.

The characters get better (MUCH) later on, but the world building suffers as the showrunners start writing beyond the book.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #2470
JPhillips
General Manager

I liked the Smith family and Tagomi. The weakest character just happened to be the protagonist, and that doesn't work well. The series ending, really all of the last season, was not good.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #2471
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Childan got really good as well. And the freedom fighters - Wyatt and the Black Communists - were well done. And as far as casting, I think they hit it out of the park with Himmler.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #2472
JPhillips
General Manager

I enjoyed the Communists, it was just odd that they showed up in the last season as major players, but didn't have a place in the story previously. I forgot about the Chief Inspector. I loved him.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #2473
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the in world reason the BCR didn't rise up until S4 is because they were mostly just a support group for black people who had 2nd class rights, until
Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-31-2020 at 10:37 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #2474
JPhillips
General Manager

I just didn't like that the people who brought down the Japanese didn't have a part in the story until the last season.

I still don't know why Tagomi was not in the last season. I assume it was contract related, but killing him in between seasons was a big blow to the story.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #2475
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I mean that's just a factor of Philip K. Dick's work in general. Very interesting ideas - terrible characters.

I don't think I'd go as strong as 'terrible', but even as someone who has read just about everything PKD ever wrote, the characters are definitely support pieces for whatever the concept/idea he's writing about is, with a few exceptions.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #2476
bob
College Starter

HBO makes programming available free as part of #StayHomeBoxOffice

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/enter...ing/index.html

The promotion kicks off April 3, and will include free streaming of such series as "The Sopranos," "The Wire" and "Veep," as well as HBO documentaries and an assortment of Warner Bros. movies. Many of the films are aimed at kids or a family audience, such as "Pokemon Detective Pikachu," "Smallfoot" and "The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part."

The programming will be available to stream without a subscription on HBO Now and HBO Go. Other series included in the promotion are "Succession," "Barry," "Silcon Valley" and "Ballers," as well as the older titles "True Blood" and "Six Feet Under."

Last edited by bob : 04-03-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #2477
tarcone
Coordinator

Awesome. I want to watch the Deadwood movie and Ballers.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #2478
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

If you have time and are looking for another HBO show to watch Succession may be the best show on HBO right now.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #2479
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Awesome. I want to watch the Deadwood movie and Ballers.

The Deadwood movie does not appear to be part of the free offerings, FWIW.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #2480
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Netflix second season of "Sunderland 'til I Die " is up. Really enjoyed season one, had no idea there would be another.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #2481
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have found the whole bit with the therapist particularly humorous.

Me too!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #2482
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The actress who plays Mya is a grad school friend. This is potentially a big break for her.

She is the only likable FBI character.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #2483
bob
College Starter

Watched the first 4 episodes of McMillion over the weekend. Talk about desperately needing an editor. The first four episodes could have easily been shown in 30-45 minutes.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #2484
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Watched the first 4 episodes of McMillion over the weekend. Talk about desperately needing an editor. The first four episodes could have easily been shown in 30-45 minutes.

I want to punch Doug in the face.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #2485
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We finished The Handmaids Tale last night. Really good show if not a bit repetitive at times.

Started Tiger King. WTF.

Think we are going to do Ozark next.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #2486
Atocep
Coordinator

The Outsider, on HBO, is very good. Definitely one of the better Steven King adaptations.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #2487
Edward64
Head Coach

Got CBS Access to watch ST Discovery & Picard.

Have finished watching them so watched the remake of Magnum PI (only s2 though, no idea why s1 is not available). Overall a good effort but lacking.
1) Retained Magnum, TC and Rick quirky interrelationships but the actors just don't work for me. Primarily the Magnum actor
2) Higgins is female. There's the slapstick humor and dissing but its not as good
3) The plots are shallow but stay true to the original Magnum series.
4) Detective Tanaka is okay. Don't mind him being more aloof than original
It's probably just me and my yearning for days past but the formula isn't working for me.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-06-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #2488
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Netflix second season of "Sunderland 'til I Die " is up. Really enjoyed season one, had no idea there would be another.

Really enjoyed this series - season one was such a downer, which makes for some pretty incredible television at times but I may have actually enjoyed season two a bit more.

Some really cool behind the scenes stuff with the new owners, who are real characters and a few more wins doesn't hurt!

I can relate a lot to Sunderland fans as a fan of Buffalo sports. Lots of losing and poor ownership over the years. I hope things turn around for them.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #2489
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Got CBS Access to watch ST Discovery & Picard.

Yeah, I got a free month offer, so we are watching Discovery (and then Picard) - my wife is a massive Star Trek fan, I'm just Trek-curious but know a decent amount of the series without watching. It's pretty good so far. Though the spore drive thing is strange and I'd imagine ends up not working out (otherwise all the Federation ships in TNG, DS9, etc would have them).
Old 04-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #2490
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I got a free month offer, so we are watching Discovery (and then Picard) - my wife is a massive Star Trek fan, I'm just Trek-curious but know a decent amount of the series without watching. It's pretty good so far. Though the spore drive thing is strange and I'd imagine ends up not working out (otherwise all the Federation ships in TNG, DS9, etc would have them).

Same thought crossed my mind early
Old 04-19-2020, 11:44 PM   #2491
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

S3 of the acclaimed Israeli production "Fauda" is now on Netflix.

fwiw
Old 04-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #2492
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
S3 of the acclaimed Israeli production "Fauda" is now on Netflix.

fwiw

I enjoyed the previous 2 seasons. It's got the obligatory radical muslim extremists but also shows regular Palestinian people which I appreciate.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #2493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Discovery, the first season was good. The second season was just bad. Oh well, now onto Picard.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #2494
Critch
lolzcat

Not sure why but Netflix has been suggesting "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories" as something I might like for a while, I guess it noticed I watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" a year or two ago. Finally gave it a try on friday.

It's strange, 30 minute self-contained episodes, each one focusing on a different customer or two at a small overnight diner in a side street of a busy nightlife district of Tokyo. There's one character who appears in every episode (The Master, the diner's chef), and a handful of recurring characters (an old guy who sits at the bar, three gossiping women), but the main characters in each episode only appear in their own story then aren't seen again.

The further it's gone, the more I've liked it, I've got 1 episode to go in season one and Netflix has a second season.

Two thumbs up from me.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #2495
Edward64
Head Coach

I've seen it and enjoy the shots of the "master" making the food. It's pretty light weight in plot but if I'm ever in Japan, I plan on visiting a similar restaurant down an alley at 11pm.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #2496
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, the plots can be a bit lightweight, and the acting can be over the top, I think it's just the strangeness of it all to my Western sensibilities that keeps me coming back.

And The Master. The Master is cool.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #2497
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The wife and I are burning through "Kim's Convenience" right now. Very fun little show.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #2498
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stayed up late to finish Ozark last night. Great show. Going to catch up on Brockmeir next then have to find a new drug.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #2499
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Stayed up late to finish Ozark last night. Great show. Going to catch up on Brockmeir next then have to find a new drug.

Yeah, Ozark is great. Could have done without the GILFy thing though.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #2500
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yeah, Ozark is great. Could have done without the GILFy thing though.

My wife and I have been binging Ozark the last few weeks. Currently on S3E7, so almost done. I really enjoyed the first season, but feel like it maybe jumped the shark in season 2. I really haven't cared for season 3, but perhaps the last few episodes will redeem it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote