Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2018, 11:27 PM   #301
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sorry I wasn't talking about you. Was talking about Homer.
Pretty sure Homer is an aTm fan...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #302
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Yeah I dont give a shit about Clemson. Bryant just happens to be the biggest name that dropped to use this. And this hasnt hit the Aggies yet, so my weeping and gnashing of teeth hasnt even begun yet.

I'm just concerned about the rule really screwing up college football. And college football is the only thing that gets me through the other 8 months of the year so I dont like to see these dummies f'ng with it to extremes like they're doing (dont get me started on the MF'ing targeting rules or video replaying every MF'ing play in the game).

I appreciate all the civil comments on it and I see your points. I'm still of the opinion that the rule, the way it is written now, will harm the product we watch on Saturdays significantly in the next year or two when students figure this out.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 09-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #303
tarcone
Coordinator

The NCAA is a joke. So any rule they come up with will surely be short sighted.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #304
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Softball is still a partial scholarship sport, right?

Yes. Fully funded programs have 12 full athletic scholarships to parse out as they like. Or however they actually do it - a pot of money equal to 12 full scholarships for each year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #305
tarcone
Coordinator

Clemson is going to screw my parlay.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #306
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes. Fully funded programs have 12 full athletic scholarships to parse out as they like. Or however they actually do it - a pot of money equal to 12 full scholarships for each year.

We are in the process of recruiting. But for basketball. I tell my daughter to keep her grades up. The more academic scholarship money she can get, the more appealing she will be to schools (We are D2 level.)

A buddies daughter was able to get a scholarship in Track and field. She was able to get 75% academic and the other 25 is athletic.

Coaches like that.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #307
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We are in the process of recruiting. But for basketball. I tell my daughter to keep her grades up. The more academic scholarship money she can get, the more appealing she will be to schools (We are D2 level.)

A buddies daughter was able to get a scholarship in Track and field. She was able to get 75% academic and the other 25 is athletic.

Coaches like that.

Correction: coaches LOVE that

I know someone at a P5 for track on the exact same deal, and his ability to score academic money was likely the difference maker.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't watch it but monitored the forum, the Razorbacks still suck (but not as bad as previous games). Long, long season.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clemson survives, with their #3 QB doing juuuuust enough after Lawrence left with an injury.

Now those who know their Georgia HS football may remember Chase Brice, 3.5 year starter at 7A power Grayson. Basically a 3.5* prospect kinda guy. Gamer, said to have a great football IQ. But on paper, not a guy you figure plays a lot for a national title contender.

But, those who are good with names/places/connections may figure it out easily enough.

Grayson.

Remember this headline?
Grayson head football coach Mickey Conn resigns for position with Clemson football -- Mar 17, 2016

He joined "the staff of Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, Conn’s former teammate at Alabama, where they won the 1992 national championship together. The two have been friends since college and rumors have swirled yearly about the Grayson coaching leaving for Clemson."

And now you understand better, perhaps, how someone gets a longer look for a roster (and ultimately a spot on it) than the numbers might have suggested would happen.

edit to add: And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Grayson, you may also recall, was the HS for (eventual Ole Miss guy) Nkemdiche, as well as Clemson RB Gallman and another guy that IIRC ended up at Clemson. It's a long-standing relationship, because of the long-standing relationship.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #310
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Bill Snyder must have some sort of hex on the Longhorns. Texas hadn't won in Manhattan since 2002. UT was in control with a 19-0 halftime lead. K-State made a QB change at halftime, and that made a huge difference. They made it close, but the Longhorns end up winning 19-14.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #311
bob
College Starter

Dumb question about the new transfer / red shirt rules.

Let’s say I’m a true freshman, play 4 games, then decide to transfer. Obviously I sit out the rest of this season, but do I sit out next season too?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #312
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Dumb question about the new transfer / red shirt rules.

Let’s say I’m a true freshman, play 4 games, then decide to transfer. Obviously I sit out the rest of this season, but do I sit out next season too?

I believe that is still the case. This season would count as the redshirt, one year transfer sit out, then have 3 years of eligibility left.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #313
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I believe that is still the case. This season would count as the redshirt, one year transfer sit out, then have 3 years of eligibility left.
Yeah, I think you can count that as your redshirt, but unless you've graduated the NCAA won't let you play within a year (in basketball/football).

IDK, none of this will hold up in court, but no college athlete can afford to let the process play out.

Also, in football talk, Ian Book makes the correct read such a higher percentage of time than Wimbush did that I seriously question Brian Kelly's judgement, and if we even have an offensive coordinator.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #314
tarcone
Coordinator

Dont you have to play more than 4? Wouldnt next season be his red shirt and then he would have 4 years left?

Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #315
cartman
Death Herald

You only get one redshirt season. Since he only played 4 this season, it would be the redshirt. If he played a 5th game, he would still have a potential redshirt season after he transferred.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Credit where it's due, UGAg ties or not.

For those who don't know the names here, Chuck Dowdle is a local sportscaster who works the pre/post game stuff for UGA. The play in question is the first TD of the day, an offensive fumble recovery for a score.

Quote:
Chuck Dowdle interviewing Smart: “On that touchdown Nauta scored it looked like it was his guy who got around him but he scoops up the fumble and scores. What an athlete

Smart: “Yeah, if he was an athlete he would’ve blocked the guy”

That's the sort of coach that makes Georgia fucking dangerous.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #317
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
You only get one redshirt season. Since he only played 4 this season, it would be the redshirt. If he played a 5th game, he would still have a potential redshirt season after he transferred.
Agreed. The immediate eligibility & grad transfer question I still don't entirely understand.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 AM   #318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Agreed. The immediate eligibility & grad transfer question I still don't entirely understand.

I think Hurts situation is making things seem more complicated.

Most 4 game redshirts aren't going to be the same as him, because he's about to graduate.

So he'd have immediate eligibility elsewhere (as a graduate transfer) AND would have had two years left to play if he'd taken this season as his 4-game redshirt.

As-is, he'll still be a grad transfer next year but it'll be a one & done deal at his new place.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #319
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think Hurts situation is making things seem more complicated.

Most 4 game redshirts aren't going to be the same as him, because he's about to graduate.

So he'd have immediate eligibility elsewhere (as a graduate transfer) AND would have had two years left to play if he'd taken this season as his 4-game redshirt.

As-is, he'll still be a grad transfer next year but it'll be a one & done deal at his new place.

Same with Bryant.
But...the new rule also brought vagueness to the sit out year by adding a case by case review option.

See belk to sc and play immediately
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #320
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder if Scott Frost will be the first coach to win all his games one season then lose every game the next.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #321
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I wonder if Scott Frost will be the first coach to win all his games one season then lose every game the next.

That is a great possibility. But they do have Bethune-Cookman and Illinois still left to play. That may be 2 wins there.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #322
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Those seem like winnable games

The Boilers used that tag given to them by Frost as bulletin board material all week.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #323
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Those seem like winnable games

The Boilers used that tag given to them by Frost as bulletin board material all week.
Purdue (and Rondale Moore!) is frisky, Bethune-Cookman is not. And Illinois might be worse than Bethune-Cookman.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #324
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Clemson survives, with their #3 QB doing juuuuust enough after Lawrence left with an injury.

Now those who know their Georgia HS football may remember Chase Brice, 3.5 year starter at 7A power Grayson. Basically a 3.5* prospect kinda guy. Gamer, said to have a great football IQ. But on paper, not a guy you figure plays a lot for a national title contender.

But, those who are good with names/places/connections may figure it out easily enough.

Grayson.

Remember this headline?
Grayson head football coach Mickey Conn resigns for position with Clemson football -- Mar 17, 2016

He joined "the staff of Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, Conn’s former teammate at Alabama, where they won the 1992 national championship together. The two have been friends since college and rumors have swirled yearly about the Grayson coaching leaving for Clemson."

And now you understand better, perhaps, how someone gets a longer look for a roster (and ultimately a spot on it) than the numbers might have suggested would happen.

edit to add: And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Grayson, you may also recall, was the HS for (eventual Ole Miss guy) Nkemdiche, as well as Clemson RB Gallman and another guy that IIRC ended up at Clemson. It's a long-standing relationship, because of the long-standing relationship.

The "other guy" was CB Ryan Carter. Went undrafted then signed with the Bills as an UDFA and not only made the roster but has action in 3 games this year.

Kind of a cool story. Carter was a gamer, but undersized (5'8" in HS grew an inch or so in college) but he was also best friends with Nkemdiche. In fact Carter drove Nkimdeche to school everyday. Anyway everyone in their brother actually offered Carter trying to get Nkimdeche. Clemson liked him but were tight on numbers. Carter actually mentioned to Dabo that he wanted to be evaluated based on his own merit not as Nkimdeche's friend. When Dabo called to offer him a scholarship he told Dabo that nkimdeche was in fact going to sign with ole Miss and there was no use in trying to sway him. Swinney told Carter they wanted him for him...but he (Carter) wasnt sure.So Swinney said,fine. Just make me a promise. Dont sign anything until you talk to me on signing day. Carter was set to sign with UCF. He never got the Clemson offer faxed over that morning. Then he was sitting in the gym and as soon as ESPNU showed Nkimdeche signing with Ole Miss, then Clemson faxed their offer. Wanted him to have no doubts why they wanted him.

BTW Jon....Mickey Conn is also Chase Brice's Uncle. That helps.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
BTW Jon....Mickey Conn is also Chase Brice's Uncle. That helps.

Well it damned sure don't hurt lol
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #326
cartman
Death Herald

Baylor got the dreaded NCAA "Lack of Institutional Control" finding. They have 90 days to respond.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #327
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Seeing reports that CJ Fuller passed away.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #328
RainMaker
General Manager

Nick Saban sounds off on Alabama students for not showing up for Louisiana-LaFayette game

I understand wanting the stadium full but you're Alabama and scheduling Louisiana-Lafeyette. Schedule some real competition if you want people to show up.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #329
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Baylor got the dreaded NCAA "Lack of Institutional Control" finding. They have 90 days to respond.

Uh oh. But its not like they didnt get the death penalty anyway. They are probably suffering more by having a crappy program than actually getting it shut down.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #330
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Seeing reports that CJ Fuller passed away.

Apparently had recent surgery and the death is likely from a blood clot. Very sad.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #331
RainMaker
General Manager

So Paul Johnson really doesn't like that Louisville DC.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #332
bronconick
College Starter

Oklahoma is going to be looking for a new defensive coordinator this winter
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So Paul Johnson really doesn't like that Louisville DC.

I'd forgotten who the DC was until well after the game was over.

Suddenly things made more sense

edit to add: For those who have no idea what we're talking about, a Louisville TV station explained
https://www.whas11.com/article/sport.../417-601527576

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-06-2018 at 02:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #334
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Someone check on Cartman.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #335
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That kicker is getting laid tonight for sure.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #336
cartman
Death Herald

dammit, I'm getting too old for this shit. Longhorns did their best to try and give that away. But a hell of a win regardless.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #337
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Someone check on Cartman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That kicker is getting laid tonight for sure.

Quote:
dammit, I'm getting too old for this shit. Longhorns did their best to try and give that away. But a hell of a win regardless.

This is like my exact internal monologue while following the end of that game.

"I wonder how Cartman is doing."

"That kicker is going to be popular tonight."

"Cartman is probably frustrated as he can possibly be after a win that big."
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #338
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I'd forgotten who the DC was until well after the game was over.

Suddenly things made more sense

edit to add: For those who have no idea what we're talking about, a Louisville TV station explained
Louisville's big loss was perfect revenge for Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson | whas11.com

Not a mutually exclusive position, but Louisville is also just really bad. I mean, GT threw two passes all night and only had 7 third downs in the game (6 converted). In the fourth quarter GT ran 12 plays (no third downs), six of which were QB keeps with no pitch opportunity, 5 were hand offs to the B/Fullback and one was pitch. Now I'm not saying CPJ wasn't laughing his ass off the whole way back to Atlanta, but when the defense is just laying down and you're getting 8 yards a pop it is hard not to score.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #339
JPhillips
General Manager

OSU's offense might be second only to Alabama, but boy that defense is surely stinky.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #340
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
but when the defense is just laying down

Well, given how many times Van Go-rder has quit on teams, I guess it's just a bit of karma
Old 10-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #341
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa beats Minny for the 4th time in a row.

Terrible targeting call on our MLB late in the game. He was in for our injured MLB. Not sure who plays MLB next week.

I hope tOSU bet the crap out of Indiana. We need help.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #342
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Not a mutually exclusive position, but Louisville is also just really bad. I mean, GT threw two passes all night and only had 7 third downs in the game (6 converted). In the fourth quarter GT ran 12 plays (no third downs), six of which were QB keeps with no pitch opportunity, 5 were hand offs to the B/Fullback and one was pitch. Now I'm not saying CPJ wasn't laughing his ass off the whole way back to Atlanta, but when the defense is just laying down and you're getting 8 yards a pop it is hard not to score.
They had what, 9 guys who averaged 6+ yards a carry? And only 2 passes by QB's

I didn't realize that was where VanGorder was at now. I liked him well enough at ND (because I think we had like 15 years of bend but don't break DC's like Bob Davie before him, so it was nice to see someone aggressive for once), but Mike Elko (now at A&M) was clearly better, and while I'm not ready to crown Clark Lea yet because maybe we just have great talent the defense hasn't skipped a beat so far this year.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-06-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #343
tarcone
Coordinator

Its amazing how well they ran. 2 passes? Damn, Louisville didnt have 9 in the box the entire game? Bad coaching or bad talent?

Old 10-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #344
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Both
Old 10-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #345
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone know much about Northwestern? Havent' won at home or lost on the road … how do you host Duke and Akron and lose both, then almost beat Michigan and win @ MSU? I know the Wolverines and Spartans aren't exactly world-beaters this year but I can't figure this.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #346
Butter
Coordinator

This is typical Pat Fitzgerald football. They can play with anyone and lose to anyone. It's crazy
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Anyone know much about Northwestern? Havent' won at home or lost on the road … how do you host Duke and Akron and lose both, then almost beat Michigan and win @ MSU? I know the Wolverines and Spartans aren't exactly world-beaters this year but I can't figure this.

18-22 year olds.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #348
tarcone
Coordinator

I call Northwestern Iowa East. They will win a game they shouldnt and lose a game they shouldnt every year.

MSU was the game. But, really, MSU is not that good this year. They were overrated.

And Michigan isnt all that good either. Really, the B1G isnt very good outside of tOSU and PsU.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #349
bob
College Starter

Half the fun of college football now is post season speculations and scenarios. So let’s start:

ND could be in a interesting spot with schedule strength by the end of the season.

Michigan can realistically end up with 4/5 losses (Wisconsin, @Michigan State, Penn State, @Ohio State left), Stanford hasn't looked that impressive and it's not unlikely it loses 2/3 games more, Virginia Tech has a easier schedule but has been unimpressive with 2 losses already, USC a loss to Notre Dame would make 3 with losable games elsewhere.

I think this is another good chance to see how much the committee really values conference championships. If the SEC gets two teams in, I think ND is screwed. I don’t see them leaving 3 conferences out of the playoff.

(Obviously this assumes ND wins out)

Last edited by bob : 10-07-2018 at 12:52 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think this is another good chance to see how much the committee really values conference championships. If the SEC gets two teams in, I think ND is screwed. I don’t see them leaving 3 conferences out of the playoff. (Obviously this assumes ND wins out)

Hopefully not at all tbh.
At least, not on the mere face value of them.

Of course, there's a million "ifs" but if Bama stays on this roll, then any team that's 1-loss behind other contenders but stayed close/respectable to Bama belongs in. Period. And I'm even including a hypothetical UGAg in that.

A LOT of football left to be played however, and a LOT depends on how the current outcomes look after that's all done. Washington did not need Auburn losing yesterday, for example. (just one example of plenty to pick from by the time we get there)