Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #801
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
In the city proper. The Green Bay Metro is 350k.

Put another way,

WI has a population of 5.8 Million.
SC has a population of 5.0 Million.

Green Bay is the 3rd largest city in WI.
Clemson is the 32 largest city in SC.

You are correct, I believe the Fox Cities are considered GB metro area. I don’t really consider that to be part of GB.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #802
bob
College Starter

Heard some chatter about seedings on the radio depending on various scenarios. Here's an interesting one: UGA wins but close enough that Alabama still makes the final four. Remember this is a television program.

- They won't want a rematch in round 1 between UGA and Alabama.
- They won't want a Clemson - Alabama round 1.

So somehow you have to justify a ND / Alabama first round match up. You can't make Alabama 3 and UGA 4 if UGA just beat them. So you have to find a way to make ND #1. Probably wont happen, but would be fun to hear the committee explain that.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #803
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There is no way Alabama is not in the top 4. They have made it when they didn't even win their division. Even if the game got away from them and they lost by 20, they're still in. Because, you know, they pass they eye test. Their record almost doesn't even matter at this point.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #804
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
And last year you had 2 de facto playoff games in Auburn/Georgia and Miami/Clemson and two more that were borderline in Oklahoma/TCU & Wisconsin/Ohio State.

I'm in favor of a 6 team playoff, would take 8, and though I think it would change the character of the sport I would even accept 12/16 teams ones because in the end it's more free football to watch, but the clearest thing to me is that the number of deserving teams varies wildly year to year, and for every year you can point to one solution there's another year that contradicts it. There are even years where like 2006 where we should just say screw the playoff and have USC & Texas play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
Unless you are an alumnus or die hard fan from your home state, I really don’t understand why people even follow this garbage. College football games are not good products, most games are blow outs and rarely do top seeds produce a competitive game. It’s basketball on grass for about 90% of the teams. The other 10 % either have all the defensive talent stockpiled (e.g. Alabama) or stubbornly adhere to tradition (Iowa, Wisconsin, etc). It saddens me because I used to love watching college football. I can’t even figure out what logic goes into conference alignment.

My solution

A. Reduce football scholarships (spread talent around)
B. Figure out who is in charge of this mess. NCAA, power 5 conferences, ESPN? Whoever it is need to take control or there won’t be casual fans in 20 + years. The on the field product is getting worse at an alarming rate.
I'm pretty cool with ignoring any suggestions about how to fix things from people who consider the current content garbage. PS good luck watching that "pure" NFL football where most of the successful teams use the same offensive principles as the best college offenses.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #805
Butter
Coordinator

Nothing yet about Paul Johnson retiring? At least 2 GT posters are slack.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #806
Ksyrup

Jon's passed out with a big grin on his face.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #807
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas State hires Jake Spavital. Should be a good fit there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #808
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Jon's passed out with a big grin on his face.

It's like Christmas comes early.

Thing is, I'm not sure what to make of the names I'm seeing as replacements.
Runs the gamut really, Whisenhunt to Tony Elliott to Jeff Monken.

edit to add: One name I didn't think about that I've seen pop up is Brent Key, current Bama OL coach but also a former GT lineman (though from the O'Leary era)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #809
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm hoping the Jeff Brohm to Louisville rumors are true.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #810
bob
College Starter

I'm happy Paul Johnson is gone - never was a fan of his whole "I'm a genius, if anything goes wrong blame the players" schtick. Reminded me far too much of Charlie Weis (including the contract extensions that each received).

Given the situation at GT that we've now discussed enough on this board, I acknowledge that the AD could make a hire that makes the situation far worse. Possibly will be bad anyway given a (possible) transition away from the option, but we'll see.

Kind of reminds me of hiring Gregory for basketball after Hewitt. Different situation there to some extent, but Gregory was a sacrificial lamb and this next football hire could be the same until the roster flips (again, assuming offense change).

If we hire the Navy coach...
Old 11-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #811
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If we hire the Navy coach...

Apparently it's Army's coach, rather than Navy's, that's in the mix somewhere.
(remember, Monken is a former CPJ staff member)

I'm as happy as anybody that the move has been made, but I'm also realistic about the fact that there will be 2 if not 3 seasons that will be brutal while the roster is rebuilt.

This won't be a quick fix by any means, no matter if they hired Saban.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #812
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I hope GT is prepared to give whomever they hire longer than normal. I think a 2-3 win season each of the next 2 years is possible.

Tony Elliott is a future star for someone. Has an amazing story to tell. Is one of the smartest and most humble dudes Ive ever met and does an awesome job of relating to kids. Is a big picture guy.

I hope he doesnt get this job. I think its a tough ask for a 1st time coach.

If I am GT my first call is the Charlie Strong
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #813
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I am GT my first call is the Charlie Strong

I think that's a recipe for a guy getting no patience. The flameout at Texas was so strong that I don't believe he'd get the benefit of any doubt at all.

I'm not sure that I have a hands down first choice right this second. But this is one time when I'd love to hear the interviews, especially the part where the prospective hire articulates his vision for the 3-5 yr plan.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #814
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not sure that I have a hands down first choice right this second. But this is one time when I'd love to hear the interviews, especially the part where the prospective hire articulates his vision for the 3-5 yr plan.
Mike Leach

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #815
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think that's a recipe for a guy getting no patience. The flameout at Texas was so strong that I don't believe he'd get the benefit of any doubt at all.

Tony Elliott is that guy.

Do you know his story?

I worry about his reputation though. As a first time head coach, the leash would shorter than someone with a proven track record.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #816
bob
College Starter

Not sure if true, but:

Source: Georgia Tech zeroes in on Clemson OC Tony Elliott - From The Rumble Seat

Last edited by bob : 11-28-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #817
RainMaker
General Manager

Go after Dino Babers.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #818
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm hoping the Jeff Brohm to Louisville rumors are true.

According to Twitter in the past 15 minutes or so, he's staying.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #819
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Brohm issues statement confirming he's staying
Jeff Brohm to stay at Purdue after Louisville meeting
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #820
Ksyrup

I work in an office full of UL people. They are pretty devastated. They still have a chance to get someone who will be just as effective, but it is a shot to the program that he didn't want to come home.

I'll trade them Taggart for a second shot at filling a job opening...
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #821
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Go after Dino Babers.

Don't listen to this guy, all you universities with football head coach vacancies.....

Syracuse doesn't have the developed rumor mill that the bigger schools do, but the general feeling from the one website that collects this stuff is that he'll stay for next year but that there's major concern he'll leave after that. The AD has said that if he leaves, it won't be because Syracuse didn't offer him enough money, so that's nice. And he still seems old to me to be the savior of some slighty-down power program, but, that's probably just wishful thinking.

Last edited by molson : 11-28-2018 at 07:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #822
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I work in an office full of UL people. They are pretty devastated. They still have a chance to get someone who will be just as effective, but it is a shot to the program that he didn't want to come home.

I'll trade them Taggart for a second shot at filling a job opening...

Was one of them this person? Just pure insanity that someone may actually do jail time because Jeff Brohm decided not to take the Louisville job. It's Jeff Brohm people! (Not that even Nick Saban would be worthy is this nonsense but still... Jeff Brohm)

Trinity High in Louisville cancels classes after receiving threat due to Jeff Brohm's decision
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #823
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Was one of them this person? Just pure insanity that someone may actually do jail time because Jeff Brohm decided not to take the Louisville job. It's Jeff Brohm people! (Not that even Nick Saban would be worthy is this nonsense but still... Jeff Brohm)

Trinity High in Louisville cancels classes after receiving threat due to Jeff Brohm's decision

I went to a DIII school, so I've never been able to grasp just how insane that top 1% of college football fans are.

Bomb threats and sending messages to 18-year-olds that you hope they wreck their knees because they decided to attend a different school than your school?

Ponderous.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM   #824
Logan
Head Coach

From 2015 threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It doesn't seem like Schiano is going to be the guy at Rutgers again but I would have been okay with it. While I doubt he's improved much on his shortcomings which would have limited his ceiling, at least the program would have an identity again and he would recruit as well as can be expected against the big names in the division.

Babers is the guy I like the most and I guess going to UCF makes sense if he's positioning himself for a jump to one of the Florida or SEC schools within a few years. Smart for him to move now with his stud QB graduating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Not really excited about any of those guys. Babers seems okay, but ugh just not floored.

Quote:
We're not in the position to get a "floored by" guy with the status of the administration and the financial constraints in place for another 5 years. Let's not let perfect be the enemy of the good. All these options are tremendously more qualified than Flood was.

Quote:
If Ash ends up at Rutgers, I won't really be able to opine on it until I figure out what his offensive philosophy would be and who he would look to bring in to run the offense. I like a young guy under Meyer who is an Xs and Os guy with a ring on his finger, but I would have preferred someone with experience running a program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
LOL at anyone thinking Dino Babers is the answer to anything.

Quote:
Care to expand on that for us dummies? I've heard he doesn't recruit a ton and is a bad interview but would love to hear more.

Just kill me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #825
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I have no idea if there were more than one of these posts, or if there were messages sent by other means, but the tweet that is being sent around as what has supposedly led to all of this was one of the more obvious jokes intended to make fun of the wackos who do take these things so seriously

(he writes, just minutes after saying "just kill me" about a coaching decision miss from 3 years ago)

Not intended as a criticism of the decision, always better to be safe than sorry, but more about the reaction around it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #826
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea if there were more than one of these posts, or if there were messages sent by other means, but the tweet that is being sent around as what has supposedly led to all of this was one of the more obvious jokes intended to make fun of the wackos who do take these things so seriously

(he writes, just minutes after saying "just kill me" about a coaching decision miss from 3 years ago)

Not intended as a criticism of the decision, always better to be safe than sorry, but more about the reaction around it.

Oh I am certain it is probably an overreaction. More just the whole landscape of big time college football like the guy getting killed for wearing Alabama etc... I mean I have taken roadtrips since Mizzou joined the SEC to Knoxville, Columbia SC, Lexington, and Fayetteville and win or lose I just hang out with their fans and almost all of them do as well. Why anyone decides to take it any further than this is mind boggling.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #827
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean I have taken roadtrips since Mizzou joined the SEC to Knoxville, Columbia SC, Lexington, and Fayetteville and win or lose I just hang out with their fans and almost all of them do as well.

fwiw, I was around campus (boy scout parking lot duty) on a Mizzou visit to UGA and, yeah, everybody I saw was completely chill.

By the same token though, I don't know of anyone around Athens that actively hates Mizzou, or Arky, or Kentucky, or even SC for that matter. Let Tennessee come in though & there's a different vibe. I can only imagine the mood if they ever start doing home & home with Florida. Auburn is weird 'cause there's soooo many UGA/AU split households, my sense is that people would like to be uglier towards them but can't quite do so & stay married.

just thinking about the visitors I've seen interacted with a good bit, Clemson came down & their fans were cool but the locals were sort of ... wary. (not openly ugly in general, but cooler towards them than average). LSU came to town & the locals seemed fine with them but the visitors were the one that were kind of standoffish.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #828
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Auburn is weird 'cause there's soooo many UGA/AU split households, my sense is that people would like to be uglier towards them but can't quite do so & stay married.
Being from Columbus, GA (which, for those who are unaware, is as little as 35 minutes from Auburn depending on what part of town you're coming from,) I know a ton of people who did undergrad at UGA and grad school at Auburn. And of course, being the closest decent-sized city to Auburn, Columbus is also a popular first-job-out-of-college destination for recent Auburn grads. Add to that the fact that it's a slightly faster drive from much of metro Atlanta to Auburn for games than it is from Birmingham to Auburn--and of course Atlanta has more job opportunities than Birmingham--it's not hard to understand why there are so many Auburn grads in the state of Georgia and the inevitable intermarrying.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #829
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
the inevitable intermarrying.

Gotta LOL, 'cause I actually reworded my post to avoid using the word "intermarry".

#SoManyJokes
#SoLittleTime
Old 11-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #830
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC just hired Kliff Kingsbury as OC/Assistant Head Coach! So excited!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #831
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

just thinking about the visitors I've seen interacted with a good bit, Clemson came down & their fans were cool but the locals were sort of ... wary. (not openly ugly in general, but cooler towards them than average).

That one trio of co-eds still hasnt put any drawers on yet, do they walk up those steps like that EVERY game?

Not that I'm complaining just thinking we may need to bring the caravan back and just tailgate for random games.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #832
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That one trio of co-eds still hasnt put any drawers on yet, do they walk up those steps like that EVERY game?

Game day, shmame day.

That's every Thu night - Sat night around here.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #833
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC just hired Kliff Kingsbury as OC/Assistant Head Coach! So excited!

Sounds like they jumped the gun. From a knowledgeable person : Kliff or not, you don’t just go air raid right away. That system is always billed as simple and easy, it’s anything but. Nobody on that roster has ever had to make the reads that system requires to function properly. I like KK, but that hire makes zero sense to me given that roster and how they recruit. SC just doesn’t get it.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-29-2018 at 08:24 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #834
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Utah State coach to Texas Tech
Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #835
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Gotta LOL, 'cause I actually reworded my post to avoid using the word "intermarry".

#SoManyJokes
#SoLittleTime

Something like "If a male UGA grad marries a female Auburn grad, is she still his sister?"

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #836
tarcone
Coordinator

Rumor going around that GT has iowa OC Brian ferentz on their medium list.
Please hire him, GT

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #837
Butter
Coordinator

Oklahoma squeaks past Texas, like 48-45.

Ohio State beats Northwestern 58-10.

Chalk holds.

Who's in?
Old 11-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #838
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Oklahoma squeaks past Texas, like 48-45.

Ohio State beats Northwestern 58-10.

Chalk holds.

Who's in?

Even as an OSU fan, I think an Oklahoma win no matter the pt. differential puts them in. That Purdue loss looms...
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #839
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Rumor going around that GT has iowa OC Brian ferentz on their medium list. Please hire him, GT

I'm not exactly sure how much of an upgrade that is.

Then again, rumors on Rocky Top are that Hugh Freeze is head of the line for their OC vacancy.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #840
tarcone
Coordinator

Of course the ferrntz rumor is probably a ploy by the ferentz family agent to get Brian the associate HC title and a big, long extension with a terrible buyout.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #841
tarcone
Coordinator

Go Texas.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #842
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Something like "If a male UGA grad marries a female Auburn grad, is she still his sister?"

That is really funny.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #843
RainMaker
General Manager

Pac-12 title game did not go well.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #844
Atocep
Coordinator

These neutral site championship games are generally pretty terrible as far as attendance and fan experience goes, but combined with the shit Larry Scott has pulled as Pac 12 commish that reaction is understandable.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #845
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
These neutral site championship games are generally pretty terrible as far as attendance and fan experience goes, but combined with the shit Larry Scott has pulled as Pac 12 commish that reaction is understandable.

Being on Friday night couldn't have helped I imagine.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #846
Edward64
Head Coach

Memphis up 21-7 over UCF in 1Q.

Lots of time remaining but that's a surprise.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #847
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Not entirely I think

Previous meeting this year: 31-30 UCF (Tigers blew leads of 20-7 and 30-14)
Last year's title game: 62-55 UCF (2OT)

Despite UCF holding a 12 win streak in the series, Memphis has led in each of the past four meetings
Old 12-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #848
bob
College Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Memphis was actually up 20-7 last time too. Just couldn’t hold on.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #849
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh dear, MTSU didn't want to play the villain I guess.

(down 2 with a minute left, 12 men on the field for a punt ... on 4th & 2. 5 yards, game over)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #850
JPhillips
General Manager

If this holds,

Clemson
ND
GA
ALA

?