Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

I was just coming back to post that, so apparently those issues requiring him to be closer to home weren't that serious. It would definitely be interesting to know the back story to this, but in the end not knowing the details I wish him the best.

BTW, I don't think Saban would have handled this as well as CP did if the transfer was reversed, given the fact that he has flipped over these types of things when they don't benefit his program.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 08-08-2018 at 03:17 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
BTW, I don't think Saban would have handled this as well as CP did if the transfer was reversed, given the fact that he has flipped over these types of things when they don't benefit his program.
I would guess Petersen determined that this situation wasn't one where it was worth making a stand. Given the general public opinion regarding student athletes I don't think the coach of a major football program denying a release for a kid who just unexpectedly lost an aunt & uncle and who's parents are going through a divorce would have played well. At all. Petersen would have been savaged in the media and in general public opinion. Those of us that follow recruiting and know a bit more about what's going on would have been drowned out.

Now, if this kid didn't have that backstory to lean on, I'm not so sure Petersen would have been so ready to let him go. I guess we'll see if this kind of poaching becomes more common whether he changes his approach.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Distance from Reno to Seattle: 704 miles

Distance from Reno to Tuscaloosa: 2,239 miles
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I would guess Petersen determined that this situation wasn't one where it was worth making a stand. Given the general public opinion regarding student athletes I don't think the coach of a major football program denying a release for a kid who just unexpectedly lost an aunt & uncle and who's parents are going through a divorce would have played well. At all. Petersen would have been savaged in the media and in general public opinion. Those of us that follow recruiting and know a bit more about what's going on would have been drowned out.

Now, if this kid didn't have that backstory to lean on, I'm not so sure Petersen would have been so ready to let him go. I guess we'll see if this kind of poaching becomes more common whether he changes his approach.

True but I think he is a bit more player friendly and measured than Saban. Peterson is one of my favorite coaches out there. Genuine guy who knows how to build a program. No disrespect to Saban, who is a helluva coach, but as a coach I would rather have my kid play for CP any day.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #55
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Distance from Reno to Seattle: 704 miles

Distance from Reno to Tuscaloosa: 2,239 miles

Apparently this speaks to how bad Washington's geography program is
Old 08-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #56
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Apparently this speaks to how bad Washington's geography program is

Or they're factoring in I-5 traffic.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #57
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was just coming back to post that, so apparently those issues requiring him to be closer to home weren't that serious. It would definitely be interesting to know the back story to this, but in the end not knowing the details I wish him the best.

Didn't get as much publicity, nationally, but the same situation played out in SC a few months back.

Josh Belk (DT) enrolled at Clemson in January. He checked in at 387lbs after playing in the low 300s in high school. He (got) worked to get his weight down to the 310s by the start of spring practice. But was told he was looking at a redshirt because Clemson was so deep at DL and he was out of shape. He was told during recruiting (by his own admission) that he would be given a chance to beat out a senior for PT and if not would redshirt.

Random family member was suddenly sick. He dropped out of Clemson, after a letter was released by "his" lawyer, and subsequently enrolled in South Carolina to be closer to home. To be fair it is much closer. Clemson was 120 miles away and SC is ~70 miles away. lol.

He weighed in at summer report last week at...368.

Now they are petitioning the NCAA to not sit a year as a transfer.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #58
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
True but I think he is a bit more player friendly and measured than Saban. Peterson is one of my favorite coaches out there. Genuine guy who knows how to build a program. No disrespect to Saban, who is a helluva coach, but as a coach I would rather have my kid play for CP any day.
Agreed on all counts. I can't believe how lucky Washington got that Petersen was ready to move on from Boise when the job opened. I grew up in the Don James era and put him on a very high pedestal, but I think Petersen is in every respect an even better coach and person.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #59
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm really hoping CrescentMoonie will come back to tell us how much the Big Ten sucks this year.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #60
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
All moot, as he is signing with Alabama as expected. Because Tuscaloosa is so much closer to home in Reno than Seattle...

So which enterprising reporter will be checking in to see where his dad ends up and in what new job?

Yeah. Seems shady as hell.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

What he has done for the program is nothing short of amazing. I don't follow the recruiting the way Dawgfan does, but as a fellow UW alum I'm sure I take as much pleasure in watching these guys on gameday as anyone.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #62
JPhillips
General Manager

I know it's a fantasy, but it would be nice if a coach in this situation refused to let the player join his program because it was all predicated on dishonesty.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm really hoping CrescentMoonie will come back to tell us how much the Big Ten sucks this year.

God I sure hope so.

The best was when Logan destroyed him when he posted in the ESPN+ thread after like 6 months away.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...6&postcount=35

Came back to post a couple token things in the NHL thread, but hasn't been around since June. Maybe he's just waiting for September?

Last edited by Butter : 08-09-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #64
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know it's a fantasy, but it would be nice if a coach in this situation refused to let the player join his program because it was all predicated on dishonesty.

Sadly there are very, very few programs that would take that stance. Its all about winning and Jimmies and Joes rule the day there.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #65
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Sadly there are very, very few programs that would take that stance. Its all about winning and Jimmies and Joes rule the day there.

Of course. It would just be nice if all the values talk from big programs was backed up with a little action. Saban could lose this guy and still win the next four championships.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #66
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
God I sure hope so.

The best was when Logan destroyed him when he posted in the ESPN+ thread after like 6 months away.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - ESPN announces "ESPN Plus"

Came back to post a couple token things in the NHL thread, but hasn't been around since June. Maybe he's just waiting for September?

Heh. I saw that. The timing of the disappearance was strictly coincidental!

Expectations are pretty high here in Wisconsin for 2018. It’ll be interesting to see if Alex Hornibrook will take the next step. He has talent at WR and of course the bread and butter of the rushing game should be there like always. I like the potential of the offensive unit.

Defensive line could be a weak spot with a few injuries claiming any depth.

Biggest hurdles to an undefeated regular season:
9/22 @Iowa
11/10 @ Penn St.

No Ohio State or Michigan State on the regular season schedule. They do play Michigan on the road also.

Anything less than winning the West should be a big disappointment.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #67
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What he has done for the program is nothing short of amazing. I don't follow the recruiting the way Dawgfan does, but as a fellow UW alum I'm sure I take as much pleasure in watching these guys on gameday as anyone.
What's been fun is not only are they putting up the results on the field, but the way he runs the program and the values he emphasizes make it really easy to root for them. I appreciated certain aspects of Sarkisian, and there's no doubt he did some heavy lifting to get the program back on its feet and set the stage for a guy like Petersen to be interested in the job, but Sark also had has definite downsides in the way he ran the program and the values he projected.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #68
General Mike
Pro Starter

Hope springs eternal for this Rutgers fan, yet I’ve never been less interested in sports in general.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
God I sure hope so.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - ESPN announces "ESPN Plus"

Show some respect Butter, he started a new job!

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is disgusting and I hope anyone complicit in this goes to prison.

Maryland Terrapins football culture toxic coach DJ Durkin
Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #71
Kodos
Resident Alien

Holy shit. There is something wrong with the culture of the Big Ten. Durkin and Court should be fired and put on trial.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-11-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #72
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Holy shit. There is something wrong with the culture of the Big Ten. Durkin and Court should be fired and put on trial.

It’s the culture of big money athletics.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
It’s the culture of big money athletics.

Or a culture where too many people get dere widdle feewings hurt at the slightest hint of challenge.

If those guys missed clear signs of present danger on the heat related issue, fine, that's actionable.

But when things are coming from players (and perhaps former employees) so easily upset cause they get barked at? Sounds like a lot of what's described in the article is pretty well deserved, that there was a lot of (alleged) athletes in the program that needed to be gone.

The pussification of America continues, nothing new here.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

If they really waited an hour before calling 911, you have to think there will be criminal charges. When it comes to heat stroke, minutes count and you'd have to think he'd have a better chance of surviving with proper medical attention right away.

You also have to wonder why a school with an athletic department budget of $100 million wouldn't have someone on their training staff who could spot the signs of heat stroke.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #75
JPhillips
General Manager

There should be no difference between acceptable behavior in the classroom and the athletic complex. You don't have to be abusive to motivate and discipline.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #76
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Or a culture where too many people get dere widdle feewings hurt at the slightest hint of challenge.

If those guys missed clear signs of present danger on the heat related issue, fine, that's actionable.

But when things are coming from players (and perhaps former employees) so easily upset cause they get barked at? Sounds like a lot of what's described in the article is pretty well deserved, that there was a lot of (alleged) athletes in the program that needed to be gone.

The pussification of America continues, nothing new here.

The real pussies are the one's who only talk shit and assault people when they know the other person can't fight back. I guarantee you none of the people involved in this would dare say or do the things to those football players once they don't have a scholarship to hold over their head. Reason of course being they would get their shit pushed in.

It's like pointing at a caged lion and calling him a pussy for not fighting back.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The real pussies are the one's who only talk shit and assault people when they know the other person can't fight back.

Newsflash: they don't have any reason to "fight back", their job is to do their job. Or quit stealing money from the athletic department (I actually thought that was a specific line that really ought to be used a LOT more often at most programs frankly ... I've sure as hell seen a lot of them at the programs I know best, I can't imagine its different too many places).

Reading the article, what constitutes a problem for some of these characters is laughable. They aren't any more spoiled brats in the country that some of these so-called athletes, the only thing missing from some of them is a shitzu to put in their purse. They're why I really hope a draft is never necessary, cause if things get to that point, the country is fucked.

Who am I kidding? We're already fucked if this is even a discussion.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #78
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Newsflash: they don't have any reason to "fight back", their job is to do their job. Or quit stealing money from the athletic department (I actually thought that was a specific line that really ought to be used a LOT more often at most programs frankly ... I've sure as hell seen a lot of them at the programs I know best, I can't imagine its different too many places).

Reading the article, what constitutes a problem for some of these characters is laughable. They aren't any more spoiled brats in the country that some of these so-called athletes, the only thing missing from some of them is a shitzu to put in their purse. They're why I really hope a draft is never necessary, cause if things get to that point, the country is fucked.

Who am I kidding? We're already fucked if this is even a discussion.

It's not a job. If the NCAA would like to change their rules and make it a job, by all means you may have a point. But a player can't say "I quit" and drive up to Rutgers and start "working" for them next week.

You and 99% of the country wouldn't make it 5 minutes into their workout without crumbling into the fetal position. Nor would you and others say any of these things within half a mile of these players.

Like I said, the real pussies are the one's who choose targets who can't fight back.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #79
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So, Urban Meyer has been ordered to stay away from any contact with players/coaches, we're halfway through the 14 day timetable the university announced for their investigation... and they haven't met with Zach or Courtney Smith yet and the AD is on vacation?

I think Meyer couldn't care less if his assistants (or players) is committing DV unless it goes public, but if the university knew about Smith's 2009 DV arrest while at Florida when he was brought in, and Meyer passed the info up the chain in 2015 as he said, it sounds like the AD should be the fall guy here, not Meyer (or at the least go down with him.)

But it certainly seems like there's an internal power struggle going on with the BoT, so who knows which side they'll come down on. Even though nothing other than PR is holding them to it, giving themselves this 14 day timetable just seems dumber & dumber.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #80
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Why does the investigation need to talk to Smith? Whether or not Zach abused her is irrelevant to the the Meyer case. If Meyer hard reasonable belief that he did, his contract require him to report it. Not to counsel, not to reprimand, but report. If he reported it he is covered, if he didn't he should swing. That simple.

Btw anyone else following the John Emery tweet saga?
If the NCAA wasn't a paper toothless tiger that would be a bigger story.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #81
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought that tweet was fake. I saw something about it, but it clearly came from a fake Brett McMurphy account.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #82
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I thought that tweet was fake. I saw something about it, but it clearly came from a fake Brett McMurphy account.
Yeah, the tweet was a hoax from a fake account.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #83
digamma
Torchbearer

I laughed a number of times.

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday...mascot-is-good
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I laughed a number of times.

The companion logos might be almost as bad as the costume.
Not nearly as comical ... but nearly as awful.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #85
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Anonymous coaches list who they think run the cleanest programs

Good to hear that perception appears to mirror reality with regard to Chris Petersen.

Last edited by dawgfan : 08-17-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #86
PilotMan
Head Coach

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...erch/37502621/

Bison have possibly the easiest schedule they have had in years. With up to 10 games at home if they host during the playoffs and can keep it clean, healthy and win during the season.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #87
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Anonymous coaches list who they think run the cleanest programs

Good to hear that perception appears to mirror reality with regard to Chris Petersen.

Urban Meyer got a vote.

Not sure I take this one seriously.

But good press is good press.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #88
Kodos
Resident Alien

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-s...se-08-17-2018/

Speaking of good press....

Last edited by Kodos : 08-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #89
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Wow, I'm really glad I'm not that guy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #90
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Should be finding out the fate of Urban meyer within the next couple hours.

He has been in meeting with the trustees for a couple hours. My guess? Suspension.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #91
Ksyrup

My guess... 2 week suspension, coming back in time for the TCU game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #92
Ksyrup

This is kinda bizarre...

Why even say something like that?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't be reading that correctly.

He left a "good robust discussion" ... in order to get a book to read?

Da hell?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #94
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The book was "How to punish Western Kentucky for transgressions at Ohio State"
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #95
JPhillips
General Manager

Clark isn't a trustee in the way some of the richer, more powerful folks are trustees. If he wants to sit in the back and read, I'm sure that's fine with the people making the decisions.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Clark isn't a trustee in the way some of the richer, more powerful folks are trustees. If he wants to sit in the back and read, I'm sure that's fine with the people making the decisions.

Fair point.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #97
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-22-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #98
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
so, he's refusing to accept a banning?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So I guess this could come down to who has the actual authority, the BoT or the Univ. prez

I mean, one or the other has to have final say so on a matter of this sort I'd think. Or it could be one of those deals where the prez can suspend but then the board can overturn?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #100
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So I guess this could come down to who has the actual authority, the BoT or the Univ. prez

I mean, one or the other has to have final say so on a matter of this sort I'd think. Or it could be one of those deals where the prez can suspend but then the board can overturn?

From the same guy

ALSO, he just tweeted this