Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #251
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Snooooooore.

I literally fell asleep in the 2nd quarter.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #252
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Or, ya know, the teams could play them at least a little bit in preseason to avoid that.

But I don't really think it was much of that. More the Bears D is really good, and the Bears QB is not really good.
I'm not sure getting 8 snaps against the Raiders would have changed much for Rodgers tonight. He hadn't played in 10 months, recovered from a serious leg injury, had a new coach and system installed and was facing a defense in Chicago that held McVeigh to 6 points at the height of their season. I don't see a plan that LaFleur and Green Bay could have taken to get Rodgers in good enough form to make a difference. The reality is that the preseason isn't treated like it was 10-15 years ago. Even the most aggressive teams still only give their starting QB 3-4 series for the entire preseason.

The league needs to realize that the first few weeks will be "tune ups" for most teams and schedule non-conference games to minimize the impact of these on the playoff races. One final rant - can the NFL please stop scheduling games in open stadiums in the south for the first two weeks? I feel like every season an early Sept opening game in Miami, Carolina or Tampa has a massive hurricane/weather issue. This year all three open at home - sheesh!
Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #253
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
One final rant - can the NFL please stop scheduling games in open stadiums in the south for the first two weeks? I feel like every season an early Sept opening game in Miami, Carolina or Tampa has a massive hurricane/weather issue. This year all three open at home - sheesh!

As a representative from the South, I will agree to this if we combine it with an agreement to never again hold the Super Bowl in a cold weather city.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #254
bhlloy
Coordinator

After reading the actual details of the AB tirade (after also seeing his 4 year old tantrum on video earlier) I don't know how they can not suspend him for at least a game. I think that probably becomes the final battleground, if he mouths off at all at that then maybe you go in a different direction, if he handles it like a model citizen then you get ready to have him in the team for week 2.

I think if they wanted to go after the money by now they would have, and there are definitely conciliatory noises on both sides, but this is an absolute watermark moment for Mayock at this point. Just don't see how you can not lose credibility and the locker room the second another player has a minor grievance if you let him walk back in for week 1.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #255
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Mayock would more than hold his own in a fight. Even being 61 years old.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #256
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

AB playing week 1. Way to set the tone Raiders. I would wager everything I have that came down from ownership
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #257
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #258
molson
General Manager

There can't be too many jobs left in America (at least higher-paying jobs) where threatening violence and directing racial slurs at a co-worker is acceptable.

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2019 at 01:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #259
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There can't be too many jobs left in America (at least higher-paying jobs) where threatening violence and directing racial slurs at a co-worker is acceptable.

I have:
1. Raider Wide Receiver
2. President of the United States
3. ????
Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #260
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ha!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #261
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Julio Jones puts his head down and does his job with no distractions and he has to wait around for an extension with the Falcons while criminals like Tyreek Hill and crazy people like AB get showered with money.

I'd be super pissed if I were he.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #262
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Julio Jones puts his head down and does his job with no distractions and he has to wait around for an extension with the Falcons while criminals like Tyreek Hill and crazy people like AB get showered with money.

I'd be super pissed if I were he.

Welcome to the NFL!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #263
PilotMan
Head Coach

So apparently the AB saga is not over as the Raiders fine him over 200k and void all his guaranteed money. Of course he says he's now done playing for the team and wants his release. They really took the Steelers and Roethlisberger off the hook with this one.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #264
BishopMVP
Coordinator

That seems like something they should have figured out yesterday before Gruden talked to the media.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
That seems like something they should have figured out yesterday before Gruden talked to the media.

Is Davis doing the whole "whomever was in his ear last" thing or something.

I mean, no suspension, all is well ... that was after he talked to Gruden?
Then this, that's after he talked to Mayock?
Old 09-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is Davis doing the whole "whomever was in his ear last" thing or something.

I mean, no suspension, all is well ... that was after he talked to Gruden?
Then this, that's after he talked to Mayock?

I was thinking a call may have been made from the league office with "advice" on how to handle this situation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #267
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Congrats to the Patriots on their new Wide Receiver!

I mean, this is clearly where this is heading, right?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #268
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

AB and Josh Gordon gonna set records for the Pats this season, get dumped in the offseason, and then destroy the cap for some other teams going forward. Sigh. I've seen this movie before. The writers are getting boring.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #269
AlexB
Pro Starter

And he’s gone!

Stunner: Raiders announce release of Antonio Brown - NFL.com
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #270
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

For a very affordable, team friendly deal, right?

What if he goes to Dallas?

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #271
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
AB and Josh Gordon gonna set records for the Pats this season, get dumped in the offseason, and then destroy the cap for some other teams going forward. Sigh. I've seen this movie before. The writers are getting boring.
I can't see him signing the team friendly deal necessary, but who the hell knows with him?

I also think it'd make a lot more sense if a Josh Gordon re-suspension was about to happen. Pats are already legitimately deep at WR with the two rookies & Demaryius Thomas as potential Gordon fill ins.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #272
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

And Julio Jones has his extension.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #273
molson
General Manager

It really speaks to the coaches, Big Ben, and overall culture of the Steelers that they were able to reign in this lunatic for so long.

I don't think he'll sign a team-friendly deal with the Patriots (which would certainly be required), but I guess we'll see. And the Patriots will take a chance on almost everybody, but, this seems to soon. Guys like Ochocinco and Moss had mostly mellowed, they were nothing like this. There was Albert Haynesworth, but he was cut after 4 months after having an altercation with a coach, so, that may be a line that they're less likely to cross.

Last edited by molson : 09-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #274
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey, but you know what? He doesn't kneel, so he's still got a favorable chance to play somewhere.

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #275
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think a mental health check is in order before he signs elsewhere. I mean doing all this just to get off the Raiders roster?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #276
molson
General Manager

I wonder if Brown waved any of his rights to challenge the guaranteed money forfeiture by asking to be released. Like if agreeing to terminate the contract is ALSO a grounds to revoke that money.

Imagine losing $30 million+ because you don't feel like showing up for practice and then truly believing, to the extent of lashing out violently, that you were wronged because the team wanted you to show up at contractually-mandated activities. NFL divas are fascinating.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #277
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder if Brown waved any of his rights to challenge the guaranteed money forfeiture by asking to be released. Like if agreeing to terminate the contract is ALSO a grounds to revoke that money.

Imagine losing $30 million+ because you don't feel like showing up for practice and then truly believing, to the extent of lashing out violently, that you were wronged because the team wanted you to show up at contractually-mandated activities. NFL divas are fascinating.

Maybe he is the one player who actually believes the "It is not about the money, it is about respect." trope.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #278
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Maybe he is the one player who actually believes the "It is not about the money, it is about respect." trope.

Could be, but, what is disrespectful about wanting him to go to practice and preferring that he not attack team employees? (I know I'm asking an impossible question that cannot be answered)
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #279
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think a mental health check is in order before he signs elsewhere. I mean doing all this just to get off the Raiders roster?

Serious response: Are we sure the NFL wants teams questioning the mental health of its players? I mean like is the person mentally competent type of check?

No so serious response: Shouldn't the team be getting a mental health check for even considering bring him in?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Serious response: Are we sure the NFL wants teams questioning the mental health of its players? I mean like is the person mentally competent type of check?

It'd look like strike rosters from back in the day.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #281
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Did we not see this coming?

Source: Brown agrees to deal with Patriots

(ick)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #282
PilotMan
Head Coach

Talk about a load of fucking horseshit.

This smells like an inside job and it's everything Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson wished they could've done in their careers. I.t hurts the legitimacy of the sport.

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #283
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Has to be tampering here. Right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #284
JPhillips
General Manager

The Patriots way, am I right?
Old 09-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #285
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
He made it quite clear that his grievances in Pittsburgh & Oakland were about teams not guaranteeing him $$$ for a long term contract. It's partly why I really didn't think we'd sign him. Or he'd agree to the 1-year deal with "only" $9m guaranteed he did.

I still don't know if I would've done it, but fuck it lets go. Odds are 50/50 at best both he & Gordon make it to February, but it increases the odds one does I guess? I also don't know if this means Demaryius Thomas gets re-released after tmrw nights Steelers game when we officially sign him, or if we want to go 4WR Run N' Shoot or 3WR/2RB variation & drop one of the shitty TE's. Only regret right now is the Raiders didn't release him Friday so he could play vs the Steelers tmrw night haha.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #286
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Patriots way, am I right?
Signing/trading for talented players at their lowest market value and being flexible enough to fit any kinds of talent into their system if it becomes available cheaply? Yes, that's the Patriots way.

Sometimes it works (Corey Dillon, Randy Moss for 3 seasons), most of the times it doesn't. If I had to pick one of the two I'd much rather root for Josh Gordon to work out, but shurg, we have the leeway, support system, and depth to take this chance. (And presumably cut him with significantly less drama and internal power struggle if he acts like a douche here.)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #287
JPhillips
General Manager

There is no team that embodies, "Just win, baby," more than the Patriots. They'll sign anyone, play anyone, do anything if it helps them win. Let's just see them for what they are, a tremendously successful franchise that will ignore any character issue and violate any rule if they think it will help them.

They are simultaneously everything good and everything bad about the NFL.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So now we have a few weeks to determine whether AB is legit crazy or if that was all an elaborate scam.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #289
BishopMVP
Coordinator

LoL yep, Josh Gordon smoked some weed & Antonio Brown possibly has mental health issues. Meanwhile the Chiefs just gave a massive extension to the WR who threw his pregnant GF down the stairs & either broke his 4 year old son's arm or at least admitted on tape to threatening & hurting him physically, but shurg, the hate comes with success.

There's actual criminality that hurts people, and there's dumb shit that only hurts the individual, or selectively enforced rules. Patriots have one glaring example in Aaron Hernandez of actual bad shit, other than that they just win games, and their minor transgressions get reported and harped on more than the equal minor transgressions of the other 31 NFL franchises.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That's pretty glaring. Come on, let's not put the Pats up as paragons of virtue. Just own it, Bishop.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #291
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I don't think I've seen a situation where a team trades for a player, player never plays a game with that team, then signs with a different team.

edit: season has already begun.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 09-07-2019 at 05:22 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #292
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That's pretty glaring. Come on, let's not put the Pats up as paragons of virtue. Just own it, Bishop.
I don't. Never have. But I don't think they're any worse than the 31 other teams either. They just win more championships.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #293
cuervo72
Head Coach

It's crap like this that makes me question why I even still pay attention to this league.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #294
PilotMan
Head Coach

Plus they cheat. Have the commish in their back pocket.

I guess I can see cheering for a team whose owner likes handies. I mean... who doesn't like handies?

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #295
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So now we have a few weeks to determine whether AB is legit crazy or if that was all an elaborate scam.

I'm starting to think he just wanted out and someone affiliated with the Pats let him know they have a nice offer waiting for him if he gets released. That Pats deal was put together awfully quick and for a lot of money for a player with that reputation.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #296
JPhillips
General Manager

Patrick Chung
LaGarrette Blount
Brandon Spikes
Alfonzo Dennard
Kenny Britt
Michael Floyd
Aquib Talib
Albert Haynesworth
etc.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #297
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Rae Caruth got out of jail last year. Surprised he wasnt on the Pats list.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #298
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How is there not tampering in there somewhere? It seems everyone and their mother said he was going to the Patriots for a week. Then within flash after he is released he signs with the Patriots.

This whole situation is a joke that could lead to the end of the NFL as we know it. Don't like your deal? Act insane so you can sign somewhere else.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #299
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How is there not tampering in there somewhere? It seems everyone and their mother said he was going to the Patriots for a week. Then within flash after he is released he signs with the Patriots.

This whole situation is a joke that could lead to the end of the NFL as we know it. Don't like your deal? Act insane so you can sign somewhere else.

The fact that it's Drew Rosenhaus tells you all you need to know. I find it hard to believe he didn't spend the past couple of days calling around to get a tentative deal in place in the event the Raiders release him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #300
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a fucking joke.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote