Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
RebelMan
Mascot

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks *Possible Spoilers*

I just purchased the game, today. So it could be out in your part of the country, not sure though. Major spoilers are highlighted in yellow.

Having played the disappointment that was MK: Mythologies, I guess I was a bit skeptical when it came to Midway trying to branch out of the fighting game genre. Not saying MK: Mythologies was a horrible game but it certainly had potential. In MK: Shaolin Monks, you play as Liu Kang or Kung Lao. If you're not familiar with the Mortal Kombat series, both Kang and Lao are the series main protagonists. For you fans of MK, this game takes place right after MK1 and right before MK2; so, it's a revisit of the story, basically.

I must say, it's a pretty good single-player mode. It's very reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings games. IMO, I really think anyone could pick up and play the game but at the same time, there will be some parts of the game that'll take some tries and retries. For you fans of MK, you'll see very familiar levels as you travel such as Goro's Lair, The Portal, etc. I'm having a blast playing through it but I'm currently stuck at Reptile's Lair. More specifically, the part where you have to destroy the moving statues that are activated by standing in the middle of a circle.

One major drawback is the lack of a conveniently placed level map. The map, when activated, is transparent but it does take up alot of the space on the screen so you could barely see your character while trying to navigate. Other than that, the game is pretty much straightforward.

Yes, you can do fatalities and you can use the environments to your advantage (ex: uppercutting opponents onto spikes, etc).

The cooperative mode or "ko-op" is pretty fun. Tried it out with my brother earlier. The game also has a versus mode for the characters that you unlock. There are four playable characters in the story mode and nine for the versus mode. There's also an option to play classic Mortal Kombat II, but you have to unlock it. How you unlock it, I don't know, yet.

The game for me was well-worth it. In terms of replay value, you could replay the game to unlock other characters, secrets, etc. I'm currently focused on trying to beat the game. I've heard the play length for some is about 8-10 hours.

Overall, I think it's a good try for Midway to branch out of the fighting genre. All this of course coming as a result of MK's sort of resurgence the past few years, beginning with the release of MK: Deadly Alliance.

Anyone else have it?

Last edited by RebelMan : 09-18-2005 at 01:07 AM.
RebelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
hukarez
College Starter

I remember hearing about this game from months ago, in a Game Informer preview. So this game came out already? I've got a gift certificate I've been meaning to use...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
RebelMan
Mascot

Yes, it is. The release date was moved up, apparently. I called EB about twice yesterday because I heard rumors on other message forums that it was out yesterday. One clerk told me it'd come out during the weekend, another still said 9/21. Well, I reserved it last Thursday and I picked it up this morning.

Should be out in all EB stores, maybe Gamestop too.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
hukarez
College Starter

Hmm.

Finally found a review on it on IGN.

Co-Op mode, eh? I wonder if this game will fill in my "Double Dragon" fix.

More impressions and play, please!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 09-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
RebelMan
Mascot

Again, major spoilers highlighted in yellow.

Well, the voice acting and dialogue is terrible. If you're into that then you might be turned off.

The versus mode uses the game's fighting engine itself. So if you were expecting a version of MK: Deadly Alliance or Deception's fighting mode, then you will be disappointed.

The fatalities are easy to execute. Same with the character's moves and other things. The directions as to how to execute the fatality are only displayed when you initially obtain one; regardless, they're pretty easy to remember. There are mutalities (or fatalities for multiple enemies), they're pretty good for getting out of rough situations.

Yes, you can use weapons. You can impale someone with them. As a matter a fact, you will have to use a sword in one of the boss fights, more specifically, Baraka.

I'm currently stuck in the Netherealm, fighting Scorpion. He's somewhat easy, when you fight him. But it's this stupid Test your might thing where you have to drag him down from an unreachable ledge that just sucks. Can barely get the test your might thing bar to where it needs to be. In terms of secrets I just unlocked Kitana and Sub Zero for versus mode. You need to get to the roof of the area where you first get your mutality (or the area that looks like the level from MKII) and contrary to popular belief, you don't get Kitana where you fight her, Jade, Milenna. I unlocked Johnny Cage, earlier.

Last edited by RebelMan : 09-18-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Hmm.

Finally found a review on it on IGN.

Co-Op mode, eh? I wonder if this game will fill in my "Double Dragon" fix.

More impressions and play, please!
Double Dragon. That takes me back. Its time to look for a ROM of it. I wonder why nobody has remade it yet.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Double Dragon. That takes me back. Its time to look for a ROM of it. I wonder why nobody has remade it yet.

Aye!

I've been eagerly waiting for the next 'Super Double Dragon' on SNES. For some reason, thinking of this Shaolin Monks game's Co-Op has me thinking about Double Dragon.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 09-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I dont know if I can wait for the next text sim. From his review it sounds and plays pretty good.