Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Microsoft Word Question

I'm working with some files with multiples pictures in them (fliers for our weekly meetings). For some reason, at times when I insert a picture I only can see the "footprint" of the pics on the page, and sometimes I only see a partial "footprint." This is particularly annoying because at times I can see a pic, then change the brightness and contrast slightly, and can't see my changes because I only see a "footprint" once again. Minimizing then maximizing *usually* gets me back to seeing full-color pics, but that is irritating, and not foolproof. Is there some setting I've missed. I have *plenty* of memory and processing power to handle pics, I'm fairly certain; I've never had this problem on other PC's with less power than this one. Is there some setting I need to change, either in Word or in XP?

Thanks in advance.

--Ben

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

I have had Word not show the pictures on the monitor, but they were there in the file, and on printouts - it was a display issue. Try printing a page with a pic and see what you get.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I have had Word not show the pictures on the monitor, but they were there in the file, and on printouts - it was a display issue. Try printing a page with a pic and see what you get.
Oh, they're definitely there. That's not the issue. The problem is that I can't crop, resize, or even properly place them like this.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Oh, they're definitely there. That's not the issue. The problem is that I can't crop, resize, or even properly place them like this.

Oh - I always do that externally (which I recommend). Sorry, I have no idea.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Totally WAG'ing here -- is it possible that you've ended up working in a format other than what you're used to? i.e. if you usually do this stuff as a .doc, maybe you've ended up in .html or something somewhere along the way.

I can't say that I've ever seen something like you're describing exactly, but I have had something seem kinda wonky from ending up in the wrong format, wrong view, etc.

Like I said, just a shot in the dark here.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Totally WAG'ing here -- is it possible that you've ended up working in a format other than what you're used to? i.e. if you usually do this stuff as a .doc, maybe you've ended up in .html or something somewhere along the way.

I can't say that I've ever seen something like you're describing exactly, but I have had something seem kinda wonky from ending up in the wrong format, wrong view, etc.

Like I said, just a shot in the dark here.
No, it is definitely a doc file, but I have a feeling you're in the ballpark. I think I've only done one or two fliers like this on this computer, so I have reason to believe that the problem is some setting on it.

What's odd is that I did this one without incident a couple of weeks ago, this one last week with minor issues, and the one I'm working on now is causing major headaches; I'll insert a picture, or resize a text box, or just move the screen around, and every single pic disappears. Oddly enough, for the one I'm working with right now, I'm using pic files that I made much smaller, so this flier uses a lot less memory:

Week 1: 2,412 KB
Week 2: 3,851 KB
Week 3: 237 KB.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
thetrilogy
Mascot

There are many questions that need to be answered.

What version of Word is this?
Are you copying and pasting the images, or are you doing an Insert, Picture, From file?
Are you pasting/inserting into a table, or outside of tables?
Do you use columns?
What view do you use? I use 'Print Layout' view all of the time.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrilogy
There are many questions that need to be answered.

What version of Word is this?
Are you copying and pasting the images, or are you doing an Insert, Picture, From file?
Are you pasting/inserting into a table, or outside of tables?
Do you use columns?
What view do you use? I use 'Print Layout' view all of the time.
1. Office XP (10.2627.2625)

2. Insert/Pic/From File
3. No tables
4. No columns.
5. I'm using "Print Layout" view.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
thetrilogy
Mascot

You've got alot of pictures on one page.
For each picture and text box, are you adjusting their properties?
i.e. Layout, Advanced: 'Picture Position' there should be no check in 'lock anchor' and 'move object with text' making sure 'allow overlap' IS checked. 'Text wrapping' may not be an issue, but it should either be on 'in front of text' or 'behind text'.

It's possible to try to do this in powerpoint. It may be more image friendly when using that many text boxes and photos.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote