Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #51
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
As you asked, here is the info about the next Granada soccer games at home in the Los Carmenes Stadium:

23rd September: Granada vs Cartagena
30th September: Granada vs Merida

Notice that we in Spain write first the home team and then the visitor, unlike in USA where visitor @ home is used.

Thanks

In other news, I've discovered that an American football team is holding tryouts? or starting play on October 1st, one of the two... here in Granada, so I may try out, especially if fencing doesn't work out.

Because I called the coach on Monday when nobody was at the practice site and I -think- he said it doesn't start up again until October. In any case, he said to call him back on Monday (That was interesting in and of itself, he having no English and my having only very bad two days' worth of broken Spanish )

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM   #52
Icy
Pro Starter

American football i growing here in Spain, still totally amateur but yes, Granada has a team. It could be fun for you and as long as you are not disabled, you will make the team as most of American football teams in the league can't even have a defensive and offensive team, the players must play both sides because the lack of personal.

I was about to try out for a team in Madrid past year to accomplish my dream of wearing pads and helmet for once in my life, but first with the loss of my daughter and later knowing that I would had to drive 70 miles late at night 4 days per week to attend the practices and then 70 again back home, i ended not doing it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #53
Izulde
Head Coach

Ironman football? Awesome. I did that in high school my freshman year, played RB and DB... I wanted to play DL or LB, but the coach wouldn't let me.

Nowadays I'd probably be more of a TE and... I'm not sure what I'd play defensively. I'll give the guys listed on the slip a call tomorrow sometime to see what the situation is exactly.

I'm hoping to hit the beach today.

How many games do they usually play in a season? I'm only here through late December, so I'm not sure if I'd make all the games... if I try out though, I think I'll start a separate dynasty for that.

Last night was a blast. To put it succintly:

One chamber hookah... 15 euros
Strawberry tobacco... 6 euros
Charcoal.... 2 euros
Sitting on the steps of a church in Spain smoking hookah with two friends... Priceless

Last night was a wandering around night for the most part. Just walking to random places with roommate and girl and exploring more of the city. We stopped at this little Greek hole in the wall place, with the kind of wood paneling that you find in saunas. It was as hot as a sauna, too.

But all the sweating and the creepy posters (the baby's eyes were disturbing), turned out to be worth it, as we had falafel and fries that were both fantastic. I was surprised because both items had a bunch of stuff in/on them and normally I like those things plain, but it was delicious in this case.

Lamb meat with mayonaise and ketchup on the fries, the falafel containing bacon, lettuce, tomato, sauce, lamb, etc... It was all really tasty.

For dessert, we found this little bakery not too far from the Greek place and got these chocolate creme-filled doughnuts that were plain with a latticing of chocolate icing on top and solid chocolate on the bottom. Quite good.

Supper last night was a hamburger, with hard bread and a kind of cheese that I've gotten addicted to. It's a white cheese with a dark green edge to it. Not sure of the name of it and Jim didn't recognize it when he asked senora what kind it was.

For lunch (yes I know I'm going backwards here), I had a cheese and bologna sandwich senora made me so I could eat it while I did my fantasy football draft outside the CLM, which was awesome of her. Sandwich was pretty good, too.

I wasn't sure how my fantasy football team would turn out, since I picked 7th in the draft and I haven't had the time to be able research like I normally would, but it turned out pretty well, I think. Only one or two really stupid picks, and I can compensate for those through the waiver wire. As of this morning, I'm up 30-3 the first matchup, with my guys having played two players, my opponent's having played one.

Today I plan to get to the beach. Hoping to catch the 11 o'clock bus if I can buy a ticket and get to the station in time. If I don't make it, though, I'll probably just have a chill-out day, continuing my offline College Years dynasty with Wyoming that's proving a lot of fun.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #54
thealmighty
Pro Starter

How's it going with the roommate after a few more days?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #55
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
How's it going with the roommate after a few more days?

Much better, thanks I hung out with him and girl last night at his insistence.

In fact, his words were "Get your stuff. We're going out."

I think it works best that way, because I can take or leave hanging out with them and this way, when they want me to chill with them, they'll let me know.

I'm going to do the post-class hang out with the rest of my Spanish class tomorrow, I think. The guy from my larger group who's also in that class says they all go out to unwind after class (something I didn't know) and invited me to come along with them, so I will.

The beach didn't happen today. Woke up about 4 hours after I got home last night, trekked over to set my fantasy football lineup for the week and noticed that it was overcast and chilly, so I scratched the beach idea.

Instead, I slept off and on most of the day. On my way here, I discovered, through pure accident and sheer absentminded autopilot walking, two video stores close by each other.

One had a respectable, but not great collection, that was extremely well-organized to where all the videos were easy to see and they were broken down by category (Comedy/Drama/Action/Thriller/etc), which entailed primarily American movies, and countries or regions (i.e. Spanish, French, Italian, South American, Asian, etc).

The other appeared to have a much larger collection, but the only country distinction was Spain and it was very poorly organized. It seemed to be mostly American movies anyway, from the quick glancing I did.

A surprising number of the non-American movies had English subtitles. Granted, most of them didn't, which I expected, but there were still quite a few. I didn't rent a movie because I wasn't sure if you needed a card to rent movies here like you do in the US and besides, I have to be up fairly early (for me anyway) tomorrow, so I was going to spend tonight playing the computer and maybe writing a few letters, since I haven't done that yet.

I was happy to find the stores, because I've been having major movie withdrawal. I'll investigate either tomorrow (the better store closes at 10 pm) or Tuesday.

In terms of music, I'm still searching for Spanish music that really appeals to me. I like some of the pop I've heard so far, but have no idea who they are or what their albums are, etc.

What I know I do like is the Arabian music I've heard. It sounds beautiful to my ears and last night, while we were sitting on the church steps, there was a group about 50 feet away who was playing live Arabian music and there was a woman singing. They were apparently taping a music video of some kind, though I couldn't see the woman because she was in the house they were by. Gorgeous voice, though, and surreal to have that style of music flush against the largest church in Granada while two groups of Americans were sitting on its steps.

Which leads me to the following reflection on Granada: It is at its most beautiful when it is least sunny. The bright sunlight is too harsh on allowing you to see the beauty of the historical buildings, I've noticed. It's only when it's partly cloudy or when it's nighttime and the street lamps are on that the hard edges of the day subside and the softer edges of history and stunning architecture emerge.

I believe we're going to the Albaycin this week and I suspect the Alhambra is part of the tour. I'd like to be able to see it at night, too, for though the guidebooks remark that you can't see as much at night as during the day, my hunch is that the nocturnal Alhambra experience would be extremely inspirational.

And that's part of why I'm studying abroad, to find new inspiration for my writings.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #56
MikeVic
Head Coach

Good to hear that the roommate situation is working out now. Seems like you're having fun!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #57
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Good to hear that the roommate situation is working out now. Seems like you're having fun!

Indeed!

Went on the Albaycin tour with the group tonight which didn't turn out much in the way of a tour though I got a few pictures. The outside of the Alhambra is gorgeous at night but you need a really good camera to get decent pictures, so mine are only okay.

I'll have them uploaded later this week.

Didn't actually go in the Alhambra though... that's later on.

Then the group went to a Morroccan cafe where CEA paid for a free drink, so I got Turkish coffee, which was awesome, and then pretty much the entire group chipped in for hookahs and we all smoked hookah most of the rest of the night, including our guide. I liked the strawberry better than the apple.

Afterwards, I went with a couple guys from my group and hung out with them. We drank Alhambra beers, which is the first beer that's ever tasted pretty good to me and that was a major shock.

Then we walked around a bit, chatting, before we all headed our separate ways home.

My classes when they start suck in that I have to be at school at 8:30 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Thank goodness there's no Friday classes here!

Also, there's now two group possibilities. The guys who I hung out with are going to Amsterdam and Dublin, which would be awesome cuz Dublin is one of my two fave cities in Europe. The other group I'm interested in joining for their break trip is going to Barcelona and Venice... and Venice is my other fave city in Europe and the most gorgeous city I've ever been, period.

In fact, if I were to live in Europe, I'd probably live in Venice. It's my idea of the perfect fairytale city.

Oh yeah, I also got to check out the one guy's apartment. He lives at the foot of the Alhambra in an awesome apartment with a really great landlord who I met. Absolutely gorgeous scenery, rooms bigger than ours, and there's usual music or dancing going on in the square late at night. Low enough so that you can sleep if you want, but terrific to listen to.

Best part of the Albaycin tour was this group of musicians that was playing... Not sure of the style of music, but I really enjoyed it. I haven't been to the side of the Albacyin we were in, but it's pretty at night and the bazaar type area where we went to the cafe is really amazing.

I love Arabian culture.

Tomorrow class again. May see if I can hang out with those guys again after class since they usually do that.

These break plans mean that I'll shift Toledo to another weekend, but I still plan on getting there at some point this semester.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #58
Izulde
Head Coach

It's raining and class looks cancelled tomorrow. 7 of 9 people going on trips.

Icy, are you available this weekend? And should I take the bus to Toledo?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #59
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It's raining and class looks cancelled tomorrow. 7 of 9 people going on trips.

Icy, are you available this weekend? And should I take the bus to Toledo?

Next weekend would be probably better. This one we are going to be away the whole Saturday, I could be with you Friday and Sunday if you come tomorrow but i don't feel ok leaving you alone a full day here.

Have you checked the bus? I just did and there are plenty from Madrid-Granada every day, the trip is around 4:30 hours and price is 13.70€ Then you would need to pick another bus from Madrid to Toledo that is a 45 minutes trip and costs around 3€.

The bus from Madrid to Toledo leaves from the same bus station that you will arrive from Granada so it's pretty easy to find, just go upstairs to the desk and buy the ticket, then go down again to pick the bus.

Do you have any kind of messenger like AIM, MSN etc so we can talk in real time? mines are:

AIM: IcySpanish
Yahoo: Icy_Spanish
MSN: [email protected]
gmail: [email protected]

I'm online almost 24/7 and I can also give you my phone # in a pm.

Last edited by Icy : 09-13-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #60
Izulde
Head Coach

Okay, in that case, we'll try another weekend where we're both free all 3 days I'm sure it'll happen at some point during this semester, since there's no Friday classes, as least as far I as understand it.

AIM: LDraco
MSN: [email protected]
Gmail: [email protected]

While I'm here in Spain, gmail chat is the place you're most likely to find me.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #61
Izulde
Head Coach

Frustrations are starting to enter in.

It's Friday night and I'd love to get a movie or go to one, especially since everyone else is busy, except for the fact of the following: 1) all movies, as Icy said, are in Spanish, 2) I can only find the two video stores and my searches online for more video stores in Granada aren't turning up anything.

I went to a video game shop, thinking that it might be like the US where they sell used DVDs there as well.

Wrong.

Then, I buy a DS power adaptor thinking okay, now I can charge my DS Lite.

I'm 10 blocks down the street when I'm like "...Wait a minute... the box doesn't say DS Lite."

So I go back, find out that no, that wasn't the right one and no, unfortunately they didn't have the DS Lite adaptar, so they gave me my money back very briskly and efficiently.

The cool part was, I was able to say in Spanish that I bought it and I have a DS Lite.. would the adaptor work with it? So, on the bright side, my Spanish -is- improving.

I'm going to keep trying to look for video shops online, probably for about another 15 minutes before I pack it in and go hunting out in the city for an ice cream shop that's not Haagen Daaz. I'm seriously fiending for some ice cream.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #62
Izulde
Head Coach

Woke up early enough this morning to not only shower and shave, but wander the city looking for a beach towel and a book before lunch.

I took a random road, letting my feet pick out the direction and lo and behold, I found myself looking at a store that was liquidating its inventory and had really cheap towels. So I went in and got an Espana soccer beach towel for 4 euros, which I felt pretty good about.

A little more wandering later, I ran across the international bookstore that I'd been looking for ever since seeing the sign for it by the CLM.

An entire bookshop filled with 95% English-language books.

I was thrilled.

Unfortunately, as you might expect, the prices were quite high, but nonetheless, I searched through the rather impressively expansive fiction section, determined to find something.

I read the backs of a few covers of books whose authors and titles were unfamiliar to me, as I didn't want anything I knew I could get in the US at those prices.

Normally I'd do a second run-through of the books I was debating between after I finished my first search of the fiction section, but my hand landed on Leo of Africa without any prompting and pulled it out.

Read the back again and then do what I always do when I'm debating on one book in particular: flipped open to a random section and read a few paragraphs to get a basic idea of the prose.

It sounded promising, so I bought it. 15 euros, but it was by a Lebanese author and the testimonials were all from British newpapers. i.e. not something I'd likely to find at a U.S. Barnes & Noble.

Went back home, packed, told senora I was going to the beach and quite happily took the bag lunch she insisted on making for me.

Finding the bus to the bus station was easy, as was finding the windows to buy my ticket.

Only there was one small problem.

I forgot where I wanted to go.

So I said in broken Spanish that I wanted to go to the beach but I forgot where, but that I wanted to take the 2:30 bus.

She said something that sounded like it could be a destination and "playa" which is Spanish for beach, so I said Si.

6,71 for the ticket and she flung the change and ticket through the window with such force and the look on her face was so sour, I got the feeling she was disgusted with my terrible Spanish and poor memory.

Tough luck, lady, I thought to myself. That's what happens sometimes in your job.

I went down to the terminal area and found myself with an hour to kill, so I started reading my book and was absolutely delighted to find that it began in Granada, a few short years before Ferdinand and Isabella reconquered it.

The prose was absolutely delicious, too, and with considerable depth to it as well, though the characters struck me as just a tiny bit cookie cutter. Nonetheless, I was enjoying it immensely, when I noticed that there was about 15 minutes before the bus was due to arrive.

Having spotted an ice cream and snack station down on the other end of the terminal and being hungry for some gelato, I walked over, hoping to find mango.

No mango. No much of anything really.

I settled on mint chocolate chip, a reminder of an occasional summer camp day when I'd be in the mood for a flavor other than Blue Moon (A Wisconsin original and an awesome flavor, by the way)

I finished shortly before the bus came, got my ticket checked and hopped on.

The countryside between Granada and Alcuepar (not the right spelling, but Icy will correct me on it) is absolutely breathtaking. Impressive mountains, much more green than those between Malaga and Granada, with shimmering white towns and the beautiful blue vistas of now a lake made by a massive dam, now the Mediterranean sea, were so beautiful I regret now not taking my camera out then (more on that later).

We first stopped at an S-named town, Sabodos or something like that, which had beaches and was a small sea-side village. For a moment I thought I was supposed to get off there and almost did, but decided not to.

As the bus climbed higher up the mountain, I saw it was a crummy little beach, apparently littered with chubby senior citizens, so I felt better.

Second town we stopped at, I know not the name of, but it had beautiful looking beaches, albeit from a distance. Unfortunately, there was no bus station, so I stayed on.

Finally we arrived in A-town. I was impressed with how picturesque the town appeared as we drove in (There's a great soccer stadium there, very green and pretty) and as the bus pulled into the station.

I got off and then realized I had absolutely no idea where to go.

Still, I knew where the beach approximately was so I walked in that direction. A few blocks later, I came across a bus stop that promised a bus that went beachside, but it wasn't due to arrive for another 45 minutes.

Feeling adventurous, I continued on, ill content with the idea of sitting around doing nothing for an almost hour.

15 minutes later, I was on the beach....

....And acutely disappointed with it. It was mostly rocks with some moderately passable strands of sand further down. Nothing like Hawaii yet (which I begin to think will always be my benchmark for beaches) or indeed even the French Riveria.

Not even the French Riveria in sand, nor in pretty, topless girls, for there were only two bare-breasted girleens as I tramped awkwardly down the half-rock, half-sand beach. One I would not wish even my greatest enemy to date, the other was a black-haired girl, pale and pretty, both in chest and in face, but with a boyfriend who seemed to scowl at me when I innocently glanced in that direction.

I changed into my suit in a room provided for that purpose and picked out a spot on the beach, close to as many people as possible so nobody would get the idea of making off with my stuff.

After getting situated, I went and dove into the Mediterranean Sea, that wonderful water of my youth.

Then I rememebered, or better said, realized two things as I hit the water.

1: The Mediterranean is salty. Very salty.

2: That sea water is cold. Damn cold.

So needless to say, I yelped from the cold and nearly choked on the saltwater I inadvertendly swallowed.

My swimmer instincts took over though and soon enough I was making my way through the sea, until I climbed on to the floating deck some ways out and just lay there in the sun, feeling triumphant and pleased with myself.

After a few minutes, I was feeling hungry and my eyes were still stinging from the salt, so I dove back in and swam to shore. All my stuff was still there, so I re-dressed and explored the town for a while, taking several pictures (which I'll try to post some of tomorrow)

I stopped at a park and ate the sandwich senora made me. Was disappointed to find raw bacon, as I like my bacon fried, but the first of two apples turned out to be absolutely delicious.

I walked along some more, found the soccer stadium and wanted to go in and take pictures, but it was closed. That's when I really regretted not taking my camera out earlier. So I just took one of the outside.

A few blocks down, I found a supermarket and went inside, as I needed to pick up some shampoo. I found Timotei shampoo, which in addition to being named after me had Greek on the back. Unfortunately the bottle wasn't that big and it was 3 euros.

Next to it was a series of massive bottles, some off-brand shampoo that cost a euro. They were so large I thought I could easily get one and be set for the rest of my time here.

I'm standing there in the middle of the supermarket aisle, debating between the two, when my grandfather's voice pops in my head.

"Get the cheap one. It's just as good as the expensive stuff and it'll last you a lot longer."

So I got the cheap one.

On my way back to the bus station, I was eating the second apple senora gave me, pleased with the day, but feeling a little lonely because it was just me when the following thought struck me:

Here it is, it's mid-September. It's in at least the mid-80s and I'm strolling in a seaside town in Spain, having just gotten back from the beach, munching on an apple without a care in the world. Nowhere I have to be, no pressing responsibilities, no nothing. I'm absolutely free, unrestricted by any boundaries but the need to eventually get back to Granada.

That's an awesome situation to be in.

I was so inspired by that though, I took a picture of me eating the apple. I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Got back to the bus station and on a bus that was just about to leave for Granada. Talk about awesome timing.

Unfortunately, all the window seats were taken, so I had to setttle for an aisle seat and once again I regretted not taking pictures on the way to A-town, when I -did- have a window seat.

After we reached Granada, I went looking for the Bus 10 line to take me back to my street, only I couldn't find it anywhere.

So I said to hell with it and walked back. Got lost a few times, but found my bearings, ironically enough, when I found the international bookshop. Talk about completing the circle.

It took me just 45 minutes and I felt pretty proud of myself for the feat, as the bus station is way out on the outskirts of the city and my homestay is in the southernmost area of the city, in the centre.

Watched a bullfight from start to finish as I ate supper. I found myself extremely angry with the whole affair. It's rigged against the bull and any time the main matador gets in trouble or is feeling winded, he wanders off and catches his breath while the poor bull, who's probably drugged to hell and back, gets more of his energy run down by about five or six other matadors who keep distracting him.

I know there's a whole mythos behind bullfighting and I look forward to learning about it in one of my classes (it's in the course description), but right now, it's just frustrating.

I have to say though, those matador outfits are things of absolute beauty. Truly deserving of their name as "suits of light."

That's all for now. There's some mango and passion fruit ice cream at overpriced Haagen-Daaz waiting for me.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #63
JeeberD
General Manager

Great stuff, Izulde, glad you're having a good time! When we were living in Germany when I was in junior high my family took a spring break trip through France and Spain, and we spent a day in Grenada and the Alhambra. It was an amazing trip, the architecture there is simply astounding. Have a great time on the rest of your trip, and I'll be reading!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-15-2007 at 05:58 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #64
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Great stuff, Izulde, glad you're having a good time! When we were living in Germany when I was in junior high my family took a spring break trip through France and Spain, and we spent a day in Grenada and the Alhambra. It was an amazing trip, the architecture there is simply astounding. Have a great time on the rest of your trip, and I'll be reading!

Thanks I haven't hit the Alhambra yet, but it's definitely on the list! And I agree, a lot of the architecture here is incredible.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #65
Izulde
Head Coach

The promised apple-eating picture

Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #66
Icy
Pro Starter

ROFL, i can imagine the face of the woman in the tickets windows when you said you want to go to the beach but don't know where.

It sounds that you are enjoying your stay, and I admire your abillity to find paths and to move in a foreign city and country by yourself without even knowing the language.

How are going your Spanish classes? Making improvements? Are you watching Spanish TV? if so, what? What about football, are you watching the nfl? and soccer?

Old 09-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #67
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
ROFL, i can imagine the face of the woman in the tickets windows when you said you want to go to the beach but don't know where.

If looks of disgust could kill, I would've met my end in the Granada bus station.

Quote:
It sounds that you are enjoying your stay, and I admire your abillity to find paths and to move in a foreign city and country by yourself without even knowing the language.

I am! And thank you, though I have to say I attribute it to my previous, fairly extensive international travel abroad experience, plus the semester I spent at Wyoming, where I really discovered that I'm more resourceful than I thought.

Quote:
How are going your Spanish classes? Making improvements? Are you watching Spanish TV? if so, what? What about football, are you watching the nfl? and soccer?

Making a little improvement each day, it seems. The intensive language class is about hmm maybe a week? week and a half? Two weeks? from being finished. Then it's a 10 day break and it looks like I'll be going to Amsterdam and Dublin with the guys I hung out with the other night, as the group that's going to Barcelona and Venice never did get a hold of me.

It kinda sucks that I'll be going to cities I've been to before, but I'll be experiencing aspects of Amsterdam I couldn't 14 years ago, so that'll be sweet, and Dublin's my second favorite city in Europe after Venice and I'll be able to serve as a sort of guide, so that's cool

Regarding TV, I'm pretty much at the mercy of everybody else in the house, though to be honest there isn't much on. The TV in my homestay gets maybe 10-15 channels, tops, and the son channel flips between a bunch of different stuff. Mostly I've watched Sevilla futbol matches, FIBA Europe games, and bullfights. The problem is, I usually end up seeing all this stuff in the middle or towards the end, so I'm not getting much out of it.

Oh yeah, they also watch the news a -ton-. But it's all pretty much the same stories, so Spanish TV has been something of a disappointment thus far.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #68
Izulde
Head Coach

Depression setting in fast.

Venice group never got back to me.

Amsterdam-Dublin group gave the impression they really didn't want me going along with them.

By itself, this wouldn't bother me, as I simply looked into tours in Turkey, Morocco and Egypt.

Found a terrific Turkey tour, but it's so close to the time of departure that the first decent airflight is $835, a price I'm not willing to pay.

Flights to Cairo and Fez are all booked.

I wish they'd let me know sooner, rather than just leave me hanging like that.

I'm afraid I won't be going anywhere during the 10 days off now. I'm angry at myself for not finding out sooner or acting in some other way sooner and bitterly disappointed right now.

This was my best chance to go to other countries during my time here and it's quickly going up in flames.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #69
Izulde
Head Coach

Today/tonight is going to shit real quick.

Not only the trip issues, but I just found out that $2,000 in study abroad grant money I should've gotten, I'm not going to get because I "filed too late for a state deadline."

WTF? Nobody mentioned a god damned motherfucking thing about a state deadline to me and I filed it before last semester was over.

And this was after the financial aid office said they weren't giving out grants because the state budget was at an impasse.

Come to find out last week that oh, they've been handing grants out!

And now this bullshit.

FUCK.YOU.UW-LA CROSSE.BULLSHIT.FUCKING.FINANCIAL AID OFFICE.

This is the most seriously pissed I've been in in months. I'm not one to develop a persecution complex, but if I was, today would seriously point me in that direction.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #70
Izulde
Head Coach

Sorry about my outburst last night, guys.

I found out last night shortly after my post that yes, it was the financial aid office's screw-up.

Unfortunately, the money is no longer there.

So I'm out $2,000.

But after getting Eastside Hockey Manager (freeware edition) going last night and having fun with it, as well as getting a good night's rest, I'm much more calm.

Sure I could've really used that $2,000 and yeah it sucks that the two groups ditched on me, but Turkey is still a possibility. I found a flight out of Malaga this morning that's $500 and I found a tour that's got most of the stuff I want in it, even better than the one I was looking at before.

The only problem with the Malaga flight is, it gets me in at 2 am, which I'm not certain if it'd render me ineligible for airport transfer, so I emailed the company to find out. Just waiting to hear back from them before I book it and the tour.

Funny thing, that two grand would've covered me for both the Turkey tour (including the extra day excursion I want to take) and my Malaga flight to and from Istanbul.

But at least I'm pretty happy here in Granada, overall. I could be like the girl a few benchs down, who my heart goes out to and who's spent the last hour crying on the phone about how she hates it here and she wishes she would've gone somewhere else, etc.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #71
Icy
Pro Starter

Istambul is a really beautiful city, i went there past year and I was amazed at the Muslim musks. I was a bit worried about the Muslims there (I guess that all the crap going on lately is making all us a bit racist) but they were really nice.

Another city you could consider and that is not expensive at all, is Praha in the Czech Republic. Beautiful city with amazingly colored buildings and lots of art everywhere. They all speak English so you will feel comfortable there.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #72
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll definitely consider Praha if Turcia falls through

The most embarassing thing happened to me during the class break. I tripped up a flight of stairs and dropped a full plastic glass of water.

Now, in and of itself, this wouldn't be a problem.

Except walking behind me was one of the most beautiful girls I've seen since I've been here.

Naturally she looks at me with great concern and starts speaking to me in Spanish, presumably asking if I'm okay.

What Spanish I do know goes flying out of my head and I just stand there, mouth open, looking stupid, even while my brain is noticing that her accent is very clean, very lyrical, very pure... with none of the lisping -th sound I hear all the time here.

So my brain's trying to place her accent, my eyes are watching her, my heart's jumping every which way and my body's immobile.

Oh yeah, my brain's also screaming, "Perfect opportunity! Say something! Do something!"

My mouth says, in English, "Um, I'm okay, thanks. No problem." while my feet stumble off up the steps towards the classroom, even as I slip on the puddle of water and nearly fall again.

So yeah, I'm a dumbass.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #73
Izulde
Head Coach

It's rainstorming here, so fast and so hard that even with the umbrella senora loaned me, I and my things still got unbelievably drenched.

It sounded like most of the people from Seattle in my class were going to Cadiz today, two of them said they weren't planning on going, meaning there'd be four of us, enough to run the class.

I get here and there's a grand total of me and me alone.

It's not all bad, though. I mean I would've had to come here anyway to see if either of the two Turkey groups e-mailed me back (they haven't), meaning trudging through the rainstorm and this way, I'm in a nice, warm room while I wait for my stuff to dry out.

I do belive I'll be leaving at 5:30 pm though (it's 4:25 pm right now), since my stuff should be mostly dry by then and hopefully one of the tour groups will have gotten back to me by that point.

Not sure yet what I'll do tomorrow. I know Sunday I plan on seeing if I can get to the futbol (soccer) game here in Granada, if I can find what bus # I'm supposed to take to get to the stadium.

I've finished Leo the African. Pretty decent novel all in all, though it seemed a little skimpy in some respects... but that's probably just because I'm used to the epic sweep of Colleen McCollough's Roman series.

Watched most of El Negociador for the second time in as many days, but then right at the end, when I'm trying to figure how the offer and exchange system works and I'd find out if the woman won 60,000 euros, which was one of the cards on her side of the table, senora took the remote and changed the channel.

I tried to ask if she could switch back to the other program so I could see the end, but I think what I asked is if there were a couple minutes until the show that came next on the channel she watched and she said something about the program coming up next being one of her favorites.

So I was disappointed, especially after getting a little hooked on El Negociador yesterday, when a woman had 32,000 euros on the table and there was some offer of 5,000 euros... but she ended up with the last card, which was -100%, meaning she went home with 0 euros... no money.

I might take a day trip tomorrow if the weather's cleared up by then, though just where i'm not sure.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #74
MikeVic
Head Coach

Sounds like some ups and downs so far. I'm horrible with navigation and sense of orientation, so I respect that you can walk around a strange land and find your bearings so fast.

You should console that girl on the bench, maybe show her what aspects of Grenada you like. Maybe it'll help her out.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #75
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Sounds like some ups and downs so far. I'm horrible with navigation and sense of orientation, so I respect that you can walk around a strange land and find your bearings so fast.

You should console that girl on the bench, maybe show her what aspects of Grenada you like. Maybe it'll help her out.

What's really strange is, when I'm at home in the United States, I have a horrible navigational sense, but when I'm abroad, I can find my way around pretty easily. It's the weirdest thing.

She was already long gone by the time I saw your suggestion and I haven't seen her since.

I do find it sad though that for the break between intensive language course and the start of classes, that she's flying home to the US.

I, on the other hand, am going to Turkey!!!!!

Got my spot on the tour confirmed this morning.

http://www.feztravel.com/Aegean_Delight.php is the tour I'll be going on

Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #76
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

I do find it sad though that for the break between intensive language course and the start of classes, that she's flying home to the US.

Think it's a pretty fair guess that she won't be back...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #77
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Think it's a pretty fair guess that she won't be back...

That's a lot of money she's eating if she doesn't come back.

Meanwhile, while I was hunting around today to try and find when Granada C.F. plays today, I discovered the following things:

1) Nobody and I mean -nobody-, not even the official Spanish league website, has the actual of times of Segunda B games.

2) Granada CF played today already to a 1-1 draw, which would explain why there's more tourists here than usual, I think.

3) Granada 74 played yesterday to a draw, but they're in Segunda A, so the actual times are posted. Wow, what a concept.

4) Nobody seems to really care about 74 even though they're in a higher division. All the discussion seems to be around Granada CF vs Granada Athletico, the latter of which is a team formed by a rich guy to try and run Granada CF into the ground, whereas Granada CF has some faded glory in its past.

5) Based on the above, I'm a Granada CF fan. It just frustrates me about the times.

Last night I had a glass of Alpujarras red wine and a free Vietnamese-style noodle and vegetables tapa. Very good both of them were and for a euro, you can't beat the price.

Then, as it was getting crowded and I was on my laptop, I went to leave only I walked straight into a glass door that I thought was open.

A couple people laughed and held the door open for me, which was nice.

Also bought a couple shirts for Turkey, as I was short a couple shirts for the 8 days I'll be there. One on hindsight I don't like much though, as the color doesn't appeal to me and it's too big on me.

But the other shirt is my new favorite shirt and it was just 3 euros (the other shirt was 6). So I might go back to one of the umpteen million stores I looked in and buy a shirt I thought looked awesome, but was like 18 euros.

Five people asked me yesterday about WiFi access as I was sitting out here on the sidewalk. Two of them were hot and female who spoke some English. I offered the one to use my computer for a bit as she said she had to get on today and the CLM won't be open till Monday, but she said no that was okay.

Not sure what I'll do today as just about everything's closed. I'm feeling a little run down and might have a cold coming on, which I hope to hell I don't, because I leave Friday for Turkey.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #78
Icy
Pro Starter

Granada CF is the "real" Granada team. It's a team with a long history, founded in 1931. It used to be a good team in the 70's, playing in the first division, but for some different reasons, they are in 2-B division now.

Granada 74 is the project of a rich bussinessmen who bought another team from another city, Ciudad the Murcia, changed the team name and city and made it the Granada 74. Unlike in USA sports franchises, in Spain soccer a team is not allowed to move to a different city ever. If you move a team to another city, it's like a fresh start, you need to start from the lowest division, all your players contracts become void etc.

Past summer, Granada 74 owner challenged the Spanish soccer federation rules pretending to move from Murcia to any other city in Spain that would offer him the most money for the franchise (it seems he wanted to do the same that is done with franchises in USA, that are bought and sold and change names/cities).

He was not allowed to do it by the rules i said before, but he brought it to the standard Spanish laws system and won the lawsuit against the soccer federation laws, claiming that he bought a business and he can do whatever he wants with it, so he was allowed to move and rename the team to where he wanted to.

Even ending being legal after the long lawsuit, everybody in Spain hated this as we don't want teams moving cities. It's against the Spanish soccer history an tradition, against the fans that can lose his city team from now etc. So every city in Spain rejected to bid to host the team, to allow it to play in their public stadiums, etc.

He tried to bring the team to my city, Toledo, as it's a big and historical city that could bring a lot of fans to the stadium, but both the local government and the citizens refused it for the way he tried to change soccer traditions.

At the end, he managed to get a deal with the Granada city to host the team and have it named Granada 74, but not being allowed to play in the main Granada stadium where the "real" Granada CF team plays. So they ended playing in a small stadium that they rented outside the city.

For that long story i wrote, Granada 74 has no fans, it's hated by every soccer fan in Spain, the professional players doesn't want to play there, so i guess it will disappear soon. We are traditionalist about soccer as you are about some USA sports, so nobody wants teams going against everybody in the soccer world and law suiting the soccer rules just for money.

Here you got some info about Granada CF:

Granada CF website with calendar:
http://www.granadacf.es/0708/index.php

Granada CF wikipedia entry in English (to learn about history etc)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada_CF

Old 09-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Granada CF is the "real" Granada team. It's a team with a long history, founded in 1931. It used to be a good team in the 70's, playing in the first division, but for some different reasons, they are in 2-B division now.

Granada 74 is the project of a rich bussinessmen who bought another team from another city, Ciudad the Murcia, changed the team name and city and made it the Granada 74. Unlike in USA sports franchises, in Spain soccer a team is not allowed to move to a different city ever. If you move a team to another city, it's like a fresh start, you need to start from the lowest division, all your players contracts become void etc.

Past summer, Granada 74 owner challenged the Spanish soccer federation rules pretending to move from Murcia to any other city in Spain that would offer him the most money for the franchise (it seems he wanted to do the same that is done with franchises in USA, that are bought and sold and change names/cities).

He was not allowed to do it by the rules i said before, but he brought it to the standard Spanish laws system and won the lawsuit against the soccer federation laws, claiming that he bought a business and he can do whatever he wants with it, so he was allowed to move and rename the team to where he wanted to.

Even ending being legal after the long lawsuit, everybody in Spain hated this as we don't want teams moving cities. It's against the Spanish soccer history an tradition, against the fans that can lose his city team from now etc. So every city in Spain rejected to bid to host the team, to allow it to play in their public stadiums, etc.

He tried to bring the team to my city, Toledo, as it's a big and historical city that could bring a lot of fans to the stadium, but both the local government and the citizens refused it for the way he tried to change soccer traditions.

At the end, he managed to get a deal with the Granada city to host the team and have it named Granada 74, but not being allowed to play in the main Granada stadium where the "real" Granada CF team plays. So they ended playing in a small stadium that they rented outside the city.

For that long story i wrote, Granada 74 has no fans, it's hated by every soccer fan in Spain, the professional players doesn't want to play there, so i guess it will disappear soon. We are traditionalist about soccer as you are about some USA sports, so nobody wants teams going against everybody in the soccer world and law suiting the soccer rules just for money.

Here you got some info about Granada CF:

Granada CF website with calendar:
http://www.granadacf.es/0708/index.php

Granada CF wikipedia entry in English (to learn about history etc)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada_CF

Thanks for the history lesson and the links

I still don't see the actual times of the games, but at least I know the days now and I'll be able to catch at least a few games.

Bought two very touristy T-shirts. 18 euros for the both. I was happy with it as I like touristy T-shirts and they're both cool in my opinion. I'll probably take them to Turkey with me, since I really like the shirts and I'll be touristy there anyway.

After shirt purchases, I stopped in a teahouse in the Albaycin and Pasion Turca (Turkish Passion if I'm translating it right) tea, which was fruit tea with some other stuff. 4 or 5 glasses of hot tea for 2,80. Not bad at all, particularly since it was delicious tea, sweet and soothing.

I think some of the good taste came from the fact that it made me feel better even though I wasn't feeling so hot. It's a few hours later now and I'm still feeling under the weather, so it's official that I have a cold or the flu. I blame it on the monsoon I got caught in a few days ago.

For dessert, I was delighted to discover an ice cream stand that had melon gelato. 2 scoops for 2,20, a giant dish that makes Haagen Daaz's 2,80 for 1 scoop look even pricier. Walked the street and tried to savor every last spoonful, but it's been close to a week since I last had melon ice cream and so it was gone after a few blocks.

Came home and senora had one of those boxes with assorted pastries open on the table, some already eaten. She invited me to try a couple.

First, I had a chocolate and custard spongy type cake, which was quite tasty.

But then, at her insistence that I try another, I sampled a small chocolate covered ice cream cone pastry with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles in the cone.

And with the first bite, I found my Spanish crack.

This was no Cool Whip and no half-assed chocolate.

This was -real- whipped cream and well-made chocolate. It's a good thing I don't know where to buy them separately or by the time I left Spain, I'd be so fat I'd make Jack Black look like Kate Moss.

Played through a few months of EHM freeware version. Made the playoffs for the second straight year, but lost in the first round, -again- to the Red Wings, even though I won the division and was the #3 seed. Bill Guerin, my top free agent signing, was out with a 2 month ankle injury, which didn't help.

Started up my third season and made a move for a very talented young goalie, who's a restricted free agent and wants a little over $2 million a year for an extended contract. Backup insurance, because two-time All-Star goalie Thomas Vokoun wants $10 million a year, which would be 1/3 of my current salary cap (Haven't figured out how to get the team to raise the cap allowance so I can be a big-name player).

In first after October and my Nashville Predators are considered Cup contenders which is pretty cool.

Speaking of cup, I think I'll get another teapot. It seems to help and I'm determined to knock this out by Friday at the extreme latest.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #80
Izulde
Head Coach

I've been battling this cold the last two or three days now and it's not giving up easily. I've alternated between Tylenol Dayquil variant (to kill fever) and Zicam (to relieve congestion and hopefully get this killed off more quickly).

This morning's hot shower helped a bit, as did especially shaving, since I'd let that go for a few days as I wasn't in the mood for it. My hair's getting awfully long, so while I originally planned to get it cut after Turkey, I may get it cut before. (Note to self: Ask professor how to say "just a trim" en Espanol)

Other than the cold, things are going well. Fired Ron Low 54 games into the third season and hired Ken Hitchcock, who if I remember right, led Dallas to the 1999 Stanley Cup.

Hitchcock took the team from in danger of not even qualifying for the playoffs to the #2 seed, where, despite being heavily favored, we lost 4-2 to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the first round. At least it wasn't the Detroit Red Wings like the last two seasons.

A month into season #3, we're playing well, but again bleeding money. That's when I looked online and discovered that a) I shouldn't be signing my prospects unless they'll make the team and b) when signing minor leaguers, give them two-way contracts so their pay is a lot cheaper in the AHL.

Oops.

Oh well, I'll be able to rectify it going forward.

Then, unable to sleep still, I did a fresh re-install of Crusader Kings with 1.05 patch and the crashes I was getting are gone now. Played about 10 years with the County of Rhodos when I realized I was seriously bored. I know there's a lot of Byzantine-philes on the Paradox Forums, but honestly, playing an Orthodox dynasty is tedious. No fun of the Crusades, no playing around with the Pope and excommunications, none of that.

That being said, the location of the Byzantine Empire and the mass elective law going on makes for a very fun game and is what kept my interest so long. Oh yeah, the rebellions help to, but just my luck, I picked a county that a) has a liege lord who doesn't have elective law as succession and b) stayed loyal to Michael Dukas.

If I try Rhodos again (or any of the Byzantine counties), I'll edit the scenario file to make the Count Catholic.

Oh yeah, I also accidentally played on normal/normal, which makes for a much slower-paced game than easy.

Finally about 5 am I was able to sleep... until 8 am. Took a Zicam and fell back asleep, woke up at 11 am. Another Zicam (it's every 3 hours) and back to sleep.

Woke up at 12:30 pm for good.

I tried to watch Heroes online before class, but to no avail. Says "This clip is not available for your location."

Needless to say, that's put me in a -really- bad mood. I've been waiting all summer for Season 2 to start.

Oh well, at least it's 88 degrees, a dry heat with no breeze and sunny here. Hopefully the warm weather will help me get over this cold quicker

Oh, one more thing. Regarding American football, it's out. I'll be in Turkey when tryouts start. I'm guessing fencing will still be a possibility though. I'll go there again either the Monday or Wednesday after I get back to see if they've started up yet or not.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #81
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Tryouts _start_ while you're in Turkey? Why don't you just show up when you get back and see if you can't dominate and make them cut you (presumably one of the better players on the team)?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #82
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Tryouts _start_ while you're in Turkey? Why don't you just show up when you get back and see if you can't dominate and make them cut you (presumably one of the better players on the team)?

To be honest, I don't know if they start or if they're solely that day. And it's been 14 years since I played football, so the rust is going to be there for sure.

We went to an Arab bath tonight, the CEA group, that is.

It was much smaller than the one in Budapest I went to, much more intimate. One cold pool, the rest ranging from lukewarm to hot.

We had free reign for an hour and a half with not only the pools, but the adjoining tea room. A 15 massage of either back or legs was also included.

I was still feeling miserable from this cold, so it wasn't until after my turn at the massage that I finally started to loosen up a little. The poor massue no doubt had trouble with the tightness of my back, but she did well with the limited amount of time she had.

A few more cycles of hot and cold later, I went into the tea room and was delighted to find the tea peppermint flavored, with a small bowl of hard candies sitting nearby.

It made me think of my grandpa, who loved peppermint and was addicted to hard candies. If there's an afterlife, he's no doubt tickled pink that his grandson was sitting in an Arab bath in Spain, drinking peppermint tea and eating hard candies.

By the time we got out, my nose was feeling much less congested and a lot of the aches I had were gone as well.

I saw one of the other girls taking pictures of the bath on my way out, so I hung around, originally to wait for my roommate (who, by the way, even though we were both going to the baths tonight, dashed off without waiting for me, which I rolled my eyes at when he was out the door. But that's just me... I find it common courtesy that when people who live in the same apartment/house/whatever are going to the same place and have to be there at the same time, that they go there together).

Anyway, I noticed the door to the bath was open, so I dashed in and took a few very hurried pictures, most of which didn't come out.

After I took my last picture and was heading out again, a slim, pretty, slender-shouldered Spanish girl emerged out of the steam, clad only in a white towel.

I was reminded instantly reminded of Rabindranath Tagore's short story Hungry Stones as she slipped past me and walked in perfect runway form towards the showers, a half-glance given back over her shoulder to me as she disappeared through the door.

It was a nice image and sequence of events, the kind that never happen to me in the United States.

Anyway, since I've been very lax about posting pics in this thread, I'm going to post a few here of the baths.

Lobby and entry to baths

One of the hot baths to the left, the cold bath to the right

The tea room. Teapots and hard candies are gone as it was after we left, naturally.

Yeah I know, it's crooked. But I think it gives a better idea of the decor of the place and I love the steam effect, particularly given the girl emerged from there shortly thereafter.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #83
Izulde
Head Coach

Relations between the roommate and I have reached the ignoring each other as much as possible stage, which is fine.

What -does- bother me is that I got my hair cut today and the woman ruined it. I leave for Turkey in two days. It's not going to grow back fast enough.

Note: I know I need to trim my moustache line up, but I can do that myself. I'm just glad she didn't touch my goatee because I'd have nothing left there either, otherwise.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #84
Izulde
Head Coach

I had my two exams today for the intensive course.

First one I got a C+ on because of some tricky questions and a mishap on the professor's part that led me to change an answer I originally had right. It was also the lowest score in the class.

But then the prof said he would consider raising everyone's grade by a point, which in the Spanish system means I go from a C+ to a B. Very cool if he does in fact do this.

The second exam was... brutal. Honestly, I'll probably be lucky to have passed it, though I should still pass the course once everything's averaged in, especially if I get the higher grade on the first exam.

I was feeling pretty depressed about it all, even though the grades won't affect my GPA at my home university as none of these courses are being taken for academic credit.

Then one of the guys in the class pointed out to me as I was talking to him afterwards, "You came here with no Spanish at all. Everyone else has had at least 1 or 2 years of Spanish before. You probably still passed the class and you should feel pretty damn proud of yourself for how far you've come in just a month."

That made me feel a lot better and helped put into perspective.

After the exams, the whole class went to the Seattle crew's apartment to smoke hookah, listen to music, and just chill. I needed that relaxation.

Then, tonight we were supposed to meet our professor for tapas. I showed up 10 minutes late (living in the far south of Granada + fighting red lights and insane amount of foot and car traffic = taking forever to get to places), so they'd already gone.

But I was determined to make the best of it, and as I hadn't eaten supper, because I rushed out of the homestay to try to make it to tapas on time, I decided to eat at a restaurant, something I've been wanting to do since I got here.

Out of habit, I walked to the lowest part of the Albaycin district and found a Lebanese restaurant. I didn't have much money on hand, so I just got an appetizer: falafel balls, and some Lebanese coffee. The balls were great and the coffee the best I've had since I've been in Spain, which is a pretty good feat in and of itself.

After I finished, I sat there for like half an hour waiting for the check before it dawned on me that I had to specifically ask for it. I felt pretty dumb about that, but hey it's part of being in a new culture. I'll definitely go back there, as not only was my food and drink terrific, but the food on other people's plates at the other tables looked really tasty too.

Came home, packed and re-packed about three times for Turkey, which I leave for tomorrow. There's still some minor packing stuff to do tomorrow morning after I get ready to go, but the bulk of it is done.

I'm -really- looking forward to it!!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #85
JeeberD
General Manager

Have a safe flight, and enjoy your trip!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #86
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Have a safe flight, and enjoy your trip!

Thanks

Yesterday was, as you might expect, brutal.

Originally planning to leave around 8 or 9 am, I couldn't sleep and chose to leave at 6:30 am instead. I -just- caught the 7 am bus to Malaga by like 30 seconds, which had me in a good mood.

Couple American girls sitting across from me turned out to be from, of all places, Chicago. They were talking about going to Morocco for 180 euros for the weekend later in the semester and were quite enthused when I told them they could do Tangiers for a weekend at 65 euros at a lot of Granada travel agencies.

They then proceeded to ignore me for the rest of the way there, talking to each other about inside stories, most of which involved guys and too much drinking. In other words, your typical American girls who I've grown to dislike even more than I already did before in my time abroad.

We get to Malaga and after some inquiries, I found where the shuttle to the airport from the bus station was. A large group of us were waiting there when the shuttle drove up. The driver kept pushing his hand forward, which I and some other people thought we should move to the front part of the bus, which we did.

Only the bus didn't stop. It kept right on going, leaving 25 very angry and confused people in its wake. I guess the guy meant he was just passing through and to wait for the next shuttle, though why I have no idea. There weren't any people on his bus.

Anyway, next bus came after 15 minutes. The ride took -forever-. In fact, I'm tempted to get a taxi next time I come to Malaga, for when I have to fly back home in December. The construction and congestion are both just ridiculous and I can now say that I absolutely -despise- Malaga.

But however much I hate the city, it's got a great airport. Finding the check-in counters wasn't easy, but there was no line at the Spanair one and security was a breeze.

The best part of Malaga's airport is the shops. Quite a few really cool shops that I spent the first hour browsing in. Note: I had 5 hours to kill because I got there so early. I did this deliberately as I wanted to plan for any setbacks and because I wanted to see how close I'd be cutting it for my flight home. Despite the shuttle difficulties, it looks all systems go for December if I catch the 7 am Granada to Malaga bus.

Hours #2 and #3 were spent dozing. Hour #4 another tour through the shops, which led me to boarding time.

Got into Madrid and I had some more time to kill, about 2 hours. The shops were disappointing in Madrid's airport, and even though the food was still outrageously overpriced like it always is in an airport, even moreso given the weakness of the dollar, I decided to eat. I knew it was going to be my only chance before Istanbul.

So I had tasteless mostacolli and a tasty whipped chocolate drink (Yoohoo-style).

Then the plane to Frankfurt hadn't even started boarding by the time it was supposed to leave. I start panicking and swearing, because I only have an hour layover in Frankfurt and I'm paranoid I'm going to miss my Istanbul flight.

We leave 40 minutes late and I'm absolutely freaked.

Then, somehow, (I suspect my grandfather gave us a push from behind or something), we end up in Frankfurt... on time.

Yes, on time.

I gleefully passed through the German passport control (which I found interesting, since it's the only place I've been to that has passport control for transfer flights) and waltzed to my gate.

Then we arrived in Istanbul half an hour late.

I get my luggage (now missing its luggage strap for some reason) and walk out the terminal. There's a line of people standing and only two of them have sheets of paper.

One says "Tim Morgengank". I blink, look at it, keep on walking, and search the line again.

Finally, I go up to the guy and ask if he's with Fez Travel and it turns out he is.

After that... oh shoot, I'm almost out of power on the comp. More details tomorrow night!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #87
Izulde
Head Coach

So we go to his car, which turns out to be this square vehicle I wish I'd taken a picture of... I'd never seen anything like it.

And then we go to the hotel.

Now, this was no normal, sedate drive.

This was my driver zooming down the highway, leaving even time-pressured taxi cabs in his dust. It was like the Indy 500 was turned into a weiner dog race in comparison.

I didn't get a chance to see much, as it was still night and we were racing by everything, literally, but what I did see I enjoyed. The vegetation was much more varied and colorful than I'd anticipated and I could see the outlines of several intriguing looking buildings.

My driver slowed down to maybe about 60 miles an hour so he could point out the Blue Mosque to me, which is one of the places I'll be seeing today. Absolutely gorgeous from the outside at night, but our speed prevented me from taking a picture.

Even with the racing, it still took a good 30-45 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel and the traffic wasn't all that heavy. Makes me even more glad that I chose the tour option, as a taxi would've just been brutal costwise.

So I tip my driver a US dollar, as I had no Turkish lira on me at the moment. He was quite pleased, as he went to walk off without anything. (Note: exchange rate is approximately $1 USD = 1.2 Turkish lira... a nice way to convert after the horrors of the euro).

I walk in the hotel and find out that I can't check in until noon and for some reason dealing with freelancing or something or the other (I couldn't quite understand it), I wasn't able to get a room and just pay the money.

But they told me I was more than welcome to wait in the lobby. This I gratefully did and hung out online for a while before crashing in and out of sleep, waiting for noon to come.

I woke up finally about 9:30 am and the front desk guy says, "Your room is ready." I stood up, cheered and said, "Yay! That's so awesome!!!!" Keep in mind, I was on about 4 hours of very crappy sleep and I'd only had 2 hours since 1 pm Thursday, so I was still punch-drunk.

Got into the room. Absolutely no view, but the room itself was nice enough. Took a hot bath in this square cube tub that I think is actually just supposed to be a shower, but I turned it into a bath anyway cuz it has the spigot for it and I've been dying for a bath since I got to Spain.

Then I hit the bed and just crashed until 5 pm.

Woke up and upon walking downstairs to the lobby, found out I had a couple hours to go until the tour group was to meet. So I took advantage of the opportunity to walk around the neighborhood a little bit.

This district is 85% hotels and restaurants, the other 15% shops and only if you find the right street. After much searching and some assistance from a couple people, I finally found an ATM and got some Turkish lira. The lack of ATMs was quite a culture shock after being used to Spain, where there's an ATM machine every other block (at least in Granada).

I bought a Caramio bar, which is like a Caramello bar, only with very light, creamy milk chocolate and much better and tastier caramel. I'd have liked it to be darker chocolate, but oh man, was it ever good. About 60 cents too, which was quite reasonable from American standards.

Got back to the hotel and met the guide. I also saw four other people from my group and I thought: Oh god, my worst nightmare is come true. It's two young couples, the kind that are likely to associate with each other and ostracize me.

While I was feeling rather grim about my social prospects, the guide said we'd wait another 45 minutes as we were waiting for more people to show up. So I hopped online for a bit, did a bit of unpacking, etc. We met again in 45 minutes and I discovered it was still the 5 of us. There's supposed to be 8 total. The guide read off the tour stuff which was on the website, so it was a little pointless.

Except for the fact that we mentioned we hadn't eaten and he advised us to eat a kebab or soup, something light since we'd spent all day traveling.

After the meeting ended, I followed the four of my group, who, just as I suspected, were already getting on extremely well, especially the men, as I figured they were going to supper.

Then it looked for a second they might be going their separate ways and I froze, uncertain of what to do. I glanced back at the hotel and then one of the girls said, "You're going to have supper with us, aren't you?"

I immediately grabbed on to this lifeline and said yes. It turned out the four were eating together.

So we wound up eating at this open-air restaurant that's literally right outside our hotel's front door. I had a kebab that didn't have the stick down the middle, but consisted of a very delicious, long strip of lamb, pita bread, green peppers (which I surprised myself by eating), some kind of rice, water, and tomatoes (these I didn't eat, as I hate tomatoes in a non-sauce form).

All very delicious and the conversation went extremely well, with the subjects ranging from mining to Shakespeare. A lot of travel discussion was included as well, and I was thankful I've traveled extensively internationally before, because both these couples have too. One is white South African, the other Australian living in London. And then of course there's American me, spending the semester in Spain. The South Africans lived in Australia for a while, too, so we've all been expats at one time or another.

I was able to slip into the conversation that I can't hear very well, so I got that awkwardness out of the way fast and though I didn't say as much relative to everyone else, I was still quite talkative for me.

Afterwards, we adjourned to the hotel bar for a drink. I stuck with apple tea, which was cheap (1 lira) and terrific.

We then retired to bed.

As for today's events, I'll cover them in the next post, as it's time to go on the tour!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #88
Izulde
Head Coach

What a blur the last two days has been. So many things seen...

It started yesterday morning. I woke up at 7 am, as we were leaving at 9 am. The original wakeup call was slated for 8 am, but I changed to 7, knowing it'd take me a while to get going.

Breakfast was something of a disappointment, but I cobbled together a breakfast out of chocolate flakes cereal, immensely delicious cheese, and severa l glasses of grape and orange juice.

The rest of our group showed up and we were at the full 8 when we set off. More on them later.

We started off with 3 hours of Topkapi Palace, which, to me, is the Neuschawnstein of Turkish sights. Pretty on the outside, but the interior leaves much to be desired, consisting as it does of a series of tiny museums, large crowds, and very few actual rooms.

That being said, the gardens were pretty, especially the First Garden (which, ironically enough, was the only one permitted to commoners) and I greatly enjoyed the museum exhibits, particularly the weaponry one, which held, among other things, swords of the sultans.

I would've liked to have had about an hour less in Topkapi, but it was fine.

Following Topkapi, we had lunch. A thin, crispy bread that is easily the most delicious bread I've ever had, some soup that needed something more to flavor it, a salad with far too much lemon, and a great-tasting mixed kebab with white rice was our meal. Oh and also a very sweet, liquid-filled desert which is a kind of Turkish staple.

Next on our stop was the Hippodrome, where chariot races were formerly held and two rebellions ensued from angry chariot teams during Byzantine times. It is still an entertainment square, albeit modernized, with a lot of noisy children playing at the 500 million air hockey tables set up throughout the central plaza.

There's also an obelisk there, 3,500 years old, from Egypt. It was built by Pharoh Thutmose III and dedicated to himself and the god Ra. Considering I'd been reading Nefertiti, which is set in ancient Egypt, on the plane rides to Istanbul, I found it quite fascinating and took a few pictures of it and the marble base, which was added in Byzantine times, around 400 A.D., when it was brought to then-Constantinople from Egypt.

We kept walking (this was all walking today) until we came to the Blue Mosque, which is one of the most beautiful holy buildings I've ever been too, both outside and in. It was packed with a few tourists and many worshippers, for it's still a functioning mosque and Muslims everywhere were in prayer. The mosque is divided into prayer area for women and prayer area for men, the bulk of it going to the males.

The tourists, as you might expect, are relegated to the women's area and asked not to move to the front and take pictures until prayers were over. That being said, you could still take pictures from the back and so that's what we all did. I got my picture taken as while by a group member, but it turned out blurry as they must have inadvertendly moved the camera when they snapped the picture.

Although disappointed in the blurriness, I pressed on with the rest of the group. We exited the mosque, put our shoes back on (we were required to be barefoot inside, a practice I wholly approve of) and crossed the street to the Hagia Sophia.

Another 10 lira for the Hagia Sophia, the second of three 10 lira entrance fees we would pay that day (Topkapi was the first one). The Hagia Sophia is another church, one that was rebuilt twice before the third re-construction, in 532 under Justinian (if I have my date and Emperor right), finally made it and still stands today.

Although plain on the outside, the Hagia Sophia is breathtaking inside, vast and with a convergence of religions. Ottoman artwork covered up old Byzantine icons, some of which have been partially uncovered and others of which still have yet to be revealed and on the left side of the building, there are several multi-colored pillars which speak of older religions.

More specifically, the red pillars are from ancient Egypt and the green pillars are from the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus. I felt a pull towards the Artemis pillars and asked the guide to take my picture with one of them. Although, it, too, came out blurry, when I put my hand on the pillar, I felt peace and serenity flowing through me and I saw again, in my mind's eye, the image of the silver-haired woman arising out of the moon who appeared to me one night in Minnesota, when I was eighteen and terribly unhappy.

We took more pictures of the church as we explored the Hagia Sophia and went up to the second level, to see the icons they've uncovered and take pictures of them. There was also a rock with a hole in it and our guide told us that it was put there by an Emperor and that legend had it if you could put your thumb in the hole and move your hand all around in a complete circle without moving any other part of our body, your wish would come true.

All eight of us tried and all eight of us failed. No wishes for us.

Out we went after our attempts, down the narrow, rock ramps to the first floor that were so uneven and so perilous that cobblestone streets seem luxurious in comparison, out of the Emperor's Gate we entered through, and into the world outside.

I did stop to take a picture of the scarcophagus of the Byzantine Empress who had a dream that after she died, snakes would devour her body, and so she insisted on her tomb being inside the Hagia Sophia, where it would be safe from snakes.

Hating snakes as I do, I applauded the move and half-wondered if I could apply to the government of Turkey to have my coffin placed in the Hagia Sophia too.

Our last stop was the Basicilica Cistern, a Byzantine water reservoir that is just absolutely stunning, with multiple rows of columns in the Dorian and Ionic styles, a lot of fat fish who live off the tourists and two gigantic Medusa heads, which are from Roman imperial times and are turned sideways and upside down respectively, so that no one is turned to stone. Medusa heads, the guide informed us, were considered a good luck charm for the places and things they were in and since the cistern provided water for the city of Constantinople, it needed all the protection it could get.

Back to the hotel for a brief respite before supper, which was again a lacking soup, bread that wasn't nearly so good, but a surprisingly tasty main course of Turkish meatballs which I liked far more than I thought would. Dessert was the high point of the meal, syrup soaked apricots with almonds. I took the almonds out and dined on the apricots, which were exquisite. Then again, I love apricots and nobody does them better than Turkey.

Dinner was quite the uncomfortable affair, for I said nothing, having nothing to contribute to the group conversation and no effort was made to draw me in. Here is where I can provide an accurate picture of our group:

1 white South African, who lived in Australia for 6 years and who lives with his Australian fiancee in London.
1 Australian, the South African's fiancee. They plan on moving back to Australia as soon as they can.

2 Australians who live in London and have no plans to move back to Oz, though they still visit on occasion.

2 Australians who live in another part of England and love it there.

1 Malaysian girl, who's lived in Malaysia, Spain, and now London. She's given some thought to moving back to Malyasia, but is happy in London for now.

1 American who's living in Spain for the moment. Me.

As you can see, this is a very couples-oriented tour and I do mean very. I tried talking to the Malay girl a couple times but she evidently got the impression I was hitting on her (I wasn't...I don't find Malaysian girls attractive at all) and would do her best to find some pre-text of talking to the guide or one of the couples after giving me a short answer.

This was a theme that would continue.

Back to the hotel, where I decided to have a cup of apple tea before retiring. This time, I was charged 2,50 lira, rather than the 1 lira last night. Apparently you can get charged either one, for while apple tea is listed as 1 lira, the tea in a cup was 2,50 lira. I was so tired by this point that I didn't even debate the point. I just paid the 2,50 and let it go.

A hot bath later, I was in bed.

Day #2 next post.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #89
Izulde
Head Coach

Today we got up ridiculously early, as in 6 am early.

I very quickly got dressed, packed and had breakfast. Even with my speediness, it was still 10 to 7 before I was ready and 7 am is when we all loaded our stuff up on the bus and headed out.

A 5 hour drive to our destination, during which we made two stops. I got a Caramio bar, a Kinder egg, and a Fruto something or the other for a drink.

The Caramio bar I've described before. The Kinder egg is this ridiculously yummy chocolate egg inside of which is a plastic egg that has some kind of toy inside. In this case, it turned out to be a hilarious wizard figure in two pieces who I put together and is apparently part of a magicians set.

I named my new wizard Zerturk and I'll have to get a picture of him up sometime.

The Fruto somethingortheother is like a Cherry 7 Up, but better tasting. I'll definitely have to see if I can find it again, as it was great stuff.

At the second stop, there was a small zoo, which had such wildly varying animals as pheasants, a hen, a parrot, a deer, a zebra, a Siberian Husky, a peacock and donkeys. Everyone had their own name plates in Turkish, English, and German saying what they were except the poor donkeys. I guess when you're a real jackass, you don't get your own name plate.

Our destination was Gallopoli, site of the Battle of Gallopoli, between the Turkish and the combined British/Australian/New Zealander forces that lasted from April 25th, 1915 to mid-December 1915. It was, like the American Civil War, anticipated as a short campaign, but turned out to be a very bloody, drawn-out battle that saw many lives lost on both sides, for the British had underestimated the ability of the Turkish soldiers and the Turks were determined to defend their homeland.

The battle was about access to the Dardenelle Straits, if I understood it correctly.

Evidently April 25th is Anzac Day, in memory of the Australian and New Zealander soldiers who died during the campaign and, being conscious of that, I kept to myself as much as possible, feeling as an American I couldn't understand it the way the Orzies in our group could.

And yet, as I looked through the exhibits at the museum (2 lira entry fee), which had the guns, the bayonets, the canteens, the books, the tobacco, the uniforms, the pictures, the personal letters, and, most disturbingly, the bones of dead soldiers, I felt tears in my eyes.

The letters, which had both Turkish and English translations, were particularly heart-breaking, as many of them were written by soldiers who died to their loved ones in the days and weeks before they fell in battle. They, along with the personal effects, gave a tremendously human quality to the battle and made it very real.

I got the same sensation, as well as the chills, looking at a skull of one of the dead, with a bullet hole where he'd been shot and killed.

And yet, despite all the horror, there were stories of bravery and legend, too.

Gallopoli is called, our guide tells us, the War of Brothers, for the Anzac (Aus/NZ) soldiers and Turkish opponents often traded items and stories together in the moments of ceasefire. These were many of them young men, 18 and 19 on the Allies' side, some as young as 14 on the Turkish side, fresh from home and even without the training to be soldiers.

There was John Simpson, who with his donkeys, carried the wounded from both sides off the battlefield and who would eventually himself be killed on the field.

There was the Turkish soldier, who, hearing the cries of an Australian soldier, wounded on the field, attached his underwear to his gun and held it aloft and in the ensuing ceasefire, went out and carried the dying Australian in his arms off the battlefield. (The fighting resumed as soon as the soldier was rescued).

Many of the stories of Gallopoli surround Attaturk, the eventual founder of the Republic of Turkey, who had his acension to power during this months-long trench warfare.

The first was when the Allies attacked and made some ground, Attaturk ignored the orders of his superiors (he was a Colonel at the time), and went out himself to investigate the situation.

There were two lone Turkish soldiers running. He stopped and asked them why they were running. They told him, "We are out of bullets, sir." Attaturk replied, "Then fix your bayonets to the ends of your guns and fight with them."

The soldiers did so, dropping to the ground and preparing to meet the enemy. The New Zealander troops rushing their position saw this, and they too, fell to the ground and attached their bayonets, a sign of fairness and equality that showed the two groups were not so different after all.

This quick thinking by Attaturk bought the Turks valuable time and reinforcements arrived in time to drive the New Zealanders back and repulse the Allied advance.

The second story about Attaturk says that he was on the highest point on the Gallopoli peninsula with his riding crop in his hand and watching the Allied advance. By this time, he was commander of 20,000 troops and one of the Turkish generals. It was his plan that he would signal with his riding crop when the troops were to counterattack the Allies.

Just about the time Attaturk was about to give the signal, an Allied bullet flew up and struck him in the chest. Instead of hitting his heart, it drilled into his pocketwatch that he had in his breast pocket.

Unminding of the fact that he'd just been shot, Attaturk gave the signal with his crop and the Turks surged forward, to win the day.

Had there been no pocketwatch, Attaturk would have died that day and the face of Turkey everafter would've been changed forever. That he gave the signal and showed no concern for having been shot illustrates his toughness and bravery as well, at least in my opinion.

It was rough, touring some of the cemetaries there. Seeing all those names...Aussie, Kiwi, Turk, in their respective graveyards, with so many 18, 19, 20 year old soldiers among the dead, gone before they really had a chance to live much of life.

But it was also peaceful in those cemetaries, which those who know me best will find strange, for I'm known for my dislike of cemetaries. Perhaps it's because their sacrifice was, to me, not in vain. Their death brought the respective nations closer together in the aftermath of the war and in these headstones, by the breathtakingly beautiful Dardenelle Straits, in the shade of trees, they have immortality in an earthly paradise.

As so many of the stones and larger plagues proclaim, "Their name shall live for evermore."

It was a very moving, very sobering 3 hours and we were all of us silent as we bordered the bus to leave.

Things brightened considerably with a boat trip across the Dardenelles. I've grown to love that stretch of water and this land is beautiful in a way that I can't find the words to describe. I also saw a green light as we reached the other side and tried to take pictures of it, thinking of Gatsby's green light, but I don't think it came out because of the sun.

I had to hurry down the boat and back to the van, because I hadn't realized until I saw vehicles driving off the boat that we'd landed. On the way, I think I bent a couple cars' windshields out of shape because the spaces were so narrow, but I didn't have time to apologize. As it was, I just barely made it to the van in time.

Our landing point was Canakkale, a pretty little seaside city of 80,000 people. We stopped and took pictures of the Trojan horse used in the film Troy (the Brad Pitt one) and at a convenience store, where I bought a bottled water, another Caramio bar, and another Kinder egg, though I haven't seen what's in the second egg yet. I will after this update.

The hotel we're staying in is incredible. It's 4* and is simply swank. The view from my room is absolutely gorgeous, looking out over the pool that's unfortunately closed for the season. I haven't had a chance to take pictures of the outside, but I will before we go.

We were to all meet for the buffet dinner at 7, but although I only intended to get a short 15 minute nap in, it turned into 2 hours before the guide called me and told me I could still get dinner if I hadn't had it yet. I apologized for missing it with the others and he said that was no problem.

Honestly, though, it wouldn't have made any difference if I was there. Lunch was again a silent affair for me and at our first stop of the day, when I went to join the group, which was laughing and chatting away, everyone fell silent and became flatfaced when I walked up.

It seems like in every group there's going to be one person who's on the outs. It's the social form of capitalism, as a communistic approach doesn't work for the economy or for people interaction. In this case, it turns out to be me.

I'm not angry about it or anything like that... only a little sad is all.

But even that can't detract from the wonderful time overall I'm having on this tour and this experience of Turkey. Tomorrow promises to be a real treat and I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

Wake up call at 7, departure at 8:30.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #90
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm keeping up with this...if solely for the physical comedy that you provide.....my favorite moments so far:

-Throwing up beer
-Walking into sliding glass door
-Spilling water and nearly slipping in it
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #91
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm keeping up with this...if solely for the physical comedy that you provide.....my favorite moments so far:

-Throwing up beer
-Walking into sliding glass door
-Spilling water and nearly slipping in it

Glad my mishaps can entertain -somebody-.

Yesterday I woke up, showered, shaved, blah blah blah, went to breakfast.

And everyone and I mean everyone from the group that I ran into said hi or good morning to me, which leads me to believe that our guide said something to the group last night when I wasn't at dinner.

I cheerfully said hi or good morning back and finished packing.

We left around 8 am and made the short trip to Troy.

I forgot to mention that yesterday, as we were riding through the Dardenelles and as we made the boat trip across the straits, I sensed the timelessness of this region and heard the whispers of the ages echoing through the laps of the waves.

This historical feeling was further augmented by Troy, which is a series of ruins from the 9 ages of the city (the 6th was the Trojan War one). Oddly enough, though I hated the Roman ruins, I absolutely loved the Trojan ruins. As we walked through the outer walls from the 6th age, I heard the shouts of soldiers and the jostling of their weapons and in my mind's eye, I could see them racing to and fro as they took up their defensive positions.

It would not be the first extrasensory/supernatural experience I had that day.

Oh, there was also a horse there, but it was one built by the government of Turkey. The one in Canakkale, where we'd stayed the night before, was much more authentic, as they were the same types of material.

I asked the guide after the tour about souveniers and he agreed that we could stop just outside the gate where the main tourist shop was and get stuff. He said 10 minutes, so I hurried and rushed through... picking up a guidebook on Troy, Ephesus (which we saw today), and a Troy T-shirt. The shirt was white, but I didn't see the black in XL and I didn't think I had time to look. It turns out I had lots of time, but I was fine with it.

Then we journeyed to Pergamum, where the ruins and I had the following conversation (not really, but this is how I imagine it going )

Pergamum: Hi.

Me: Hi.

Pergamum: You came from Troy, right?

Me: Yeah.

Pergamum: Really cool city huh?

Me: Yep! It was totally sweet!

Pergamum: Oh yeah? Well, get a load of -me-! *shows off Major Impressiveness That Totally Kicks Troy's Ass*

Pergamum is a much more completely excavated city and what's more, it's high in the mountains, with a dazzling panoramic view of the valley and cities below. Its theatre has the second steepest incline of any in the world and seated 10,000 people.

What was more striking than even the brilliant mountain vistas or the impressive buildings was the sense that I'd been there before. And that's when it struck me.

I've dreamt of this city before. This exact mountain city I've dreamt of before I've even seen so much as a picture of it, much less the city itself.

Adding to that effect, while we were by the city's acropolis, I heard the laughter of three girls coming from, in my mind's eye, a pretty girl with grey eyes and light brown hair in a royal purple toga, running through the square with two of her female friends or servants, I don't know which, in white togas. I heard the exasparated sigh of her father from some distance away, but he didn't appear before my mental sight.

Whether this was from a dream I'd previously had or whether it belongs in the same category as the earlier imagery and sounds at Troy, I'm not certain, but it was a fascinating occurrence.

I bought a guidebook for this city, too, which moved to my most favorite site that we've visited so far.

After dinner and a very long drive, we went to a leather goods store, where they served us sweet, cold tea and put on a short, hilarious fashion show where two female and two male models did the runway with various leather outfits.

I say hilarious because none of these models had good runway form and the one guy kept doing a pelvic thrust as he modeled, which made us all bite our lips to hold in our laughter.

Afterwards, we were introduced to some kind of new lambskin leather that's four-weather material and extremely soft and flexible, better than the normal leathers. It felt wonderful under my fingers, like no other leather I've touched before.

Following that brief lecture, we were invited to look around, but also reminded that this was the end of the season, so the selection wasn't nearly as varied as it normally was. Our guide had advised us before we went in the store to not be afraid to bargain and negotiate for a better price.

So I start walking through the store and end up in the women's section. The clerk hid a grin as he said, "Sir, this is for ladies." "Oh... where's the men's section?" He showed me to it and immediately another salesperson is showing me some coats and the like. I shook my head and said, "No thank you."

Now, I was in the market for the right kind of leather coat, but I didn't see anything there, so I headed down to the regular leather section of the store (the earlier spot was all that lambskin leather).

Two guys there asked me what I was looking for and showed me a coat. I said, "No thank you, unless you've got something that's ankle-length."

They conferred together and one of them told me, "We may not have any left. The full-length coats are very popular and we can not keep them in stock, but wait here and I'll go check."

Okay, no problem.

He comes back a few minutes later and says, "I'm sorry, but we don't have any. We do have this 3/4 length coat, though." Which he had in his hands.

I tried it on for politeness sake and looked in the mirror. Nope, it wasn't anywhere near what I wanted, so I took it off and handed it to him with a smile, "Sorry, but I want the full-length. Thank you, though."

I walked over to where our guide was and hung out, waiting for the rest of the group to finish looking around. Five minutes later, there's a commotion behind me and a tapping on my shoulder.

"Sir, come, look! We found the last full-length coat in the store!"

I turn around and there's an absolutely beautiful full-length black leather coat with some sharp black sequin pinstriping here and there. I'm very cautiously optimistic as I allow myself to be led over to the mirror and try it on.

At first glance, it looks terrific on me and feels great. Then I look a little closer. The buttons are extremely loose, practically hanging on by a thread, much like the cheap $50 full-length jacket I bought in Milwaukee some years ago. And there's something about it that just doesn't look quite right on me.

While I'm thinking about it, I take it off and he says, "I'll give you a good deal on it. $500!" I said, "No, no thank you though." handing him the jacket back.

He replies, "What do you want for it? I'll make you special price. A special deal! Look, here is my manager!"

The manager comes over and I say, "Hmm... let me try it on again, just to be sure." As I do, the original salesperson says, "You wear a scarf with it, yes?"

And that's when it hits me. It's too large and too open around my neck. If I was the type to wear scarves, I'd seriously consider it, but I hate wearing scarves. That and the flimsiness of the buttons really has me wary, so I shake my head and slip the jacket off, "No thank you. It's just not me."

"What! Why not? It's perfect on you!" protests the salesperson.

"Come on, how much do you want it for?" stagewhispers the manager in my ear, "I'll make you a special deal."

So I do the final round of thinking. If I even do a halfway decent job, I can probably get this down to $200 and if I do a smashing job, maybe $125-150. But this is the very last full-length jacket in the store, so it's probably not in the best condition and was probably stuffed somewhere in the back. I'm also really not liking the construction of the buttons, and I'm not about to start wearing scarves.

Then the final clincher hits me.

I don't have anywhere near enough room in my suitcase. And I'm not about to pay what the outrageous amounts of shipping would be.

So I tell the manager, "Nope, it's just not me. Thank you though." He smiles and says, "All right." and left me alone after that.

As the group is walking out the store, Malayasian girl says to me, "You didn't get that jacket?" "Nope. Decided it just wasn't for me in the end." "That's too bad.... you looked really cool in it, like Neo."

I could've kissed her for that one.

Incidentally, nobody got anything.

Two hours later, we reached the hotel, which has the best Internet connection we've had thus far, but not much of a bath at all, which is a little disappointing, but I'll make do.

This time, I made supper with everyone, though I was half an hour late, as I was listening to the Turkish pop music I'd bought cheap at a gas station during our long driving day.

I crashed early, around 9:30 pm and didn't get up until 8 am today when the wakeup call came.

Next post covers today!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #92
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm exhausted.

One of the top 10 most eventful nights of my life and I have a wakeup call I set for myself in 6 hours.

I'm 3 days behind on Turkey reportage and I'm sorry about that.

But oh so damn much to tell.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #93
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm back in Granada now and naturally, I'm a few days behind in reporting, so it's time for me to get cracking on telling about the rest of my Turkey tour.

The day after the last post was another starting routine of waking, readying, and breakfast. We started our day with a short drive to Ephesus, which is the single-most well preserved ancient city we'd been to, complete with whole roads and far more complete structures in shape and number than either Troy or Pergamum.

Unfortunately, it was also by far the most crowded city we'd been to. Babel citified, as I heard, in the space of our walking there, Turkish, English, German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, and Russian that I was able to identify, as well as a couple of languages that I had no idea as to what they were. Very cool from a linguistic standpoint, but from the vantage point of hearing the echoes of the past as we walked the ruins, not so cool. Nothing came to mind in this place... too much noise and too many people, too much touristyness going on.

Ephesus's history is a fascinating one, as it was an important city in both the time of the Greek city-states and the Roman era. Furthermore, for the Christians, it held one of the three most important churches in the early days of the religion's establishment. St. Paul also preached here (and was imprisoned, thanks to the people who still devoutly followed Artemis and St. John the Baptist and Mary, Mother of Jesus, lived in Ephesus. In fact, according to one school of thought among historians, Mary actually died in Ephesus after coming to the city with John following Jesus's crucifixion.

There's a famous ancient library in Ephesus, a massive building that, though impressive on the outside, was somewhat anticlimatic on the interior, though I grinned when I was able to translate a fair bit of the German on the plaques inside. You see, the Germans did a lot of the excavating of these old cities and hied off with their discoveries, so not only are these places heavily visited by German tourists, but many of the artificats are sitting in German museums, or British museums, or Russian museums, depending on the nationality of the archaeologists that found the items.

Turkey's tried to get back the stuff back through the years, but the other nations' governments refuse to hand them over, so it remains a spot of contention. It makes you realize just how much is at stake with these digs and the importance of being the first one to uncover these past relics. Like our guide joked, now we have a reason to visit these different cities in other countries, to find the stuff the archaeologists stole from the sites.

Anyway, it was while searching the library that I was stopped by three elderly Spanish women, who asked me en Espanol, to take their picture with it. I naturally agreed and did so, but was both simultaneously amused and puzzled as to why they asked me of all people.

Then I glanced down.

I was wearing my Espana T-shirt.

Mystery solved.

Amusingly enough, there's also a brothel close by the library and our guide told us there was a secret tunnel which led from the library to the brothel, so the various nobles who frequented the love house would be able to visit it without being detected. Needless to say, upon hearing that, I couldn't resist having my picture taken in the brothel with the library in the background. It also gave me an idea for a short story, which I've yet to start writing.

After Ephesus, we trekked to a carpet making place, where a guy gave us an excellent lecture on the process of carpet-making and how to tell the difference between hand-woven carpets and machine-made ones, as well as tips on how to distinguish between wool and silk carpets. Sadly, I've forgotten most of the information he gave us, but he showed us a lot of -gorgeous- carpets as examples for his explanations and told us “Go on! Touch them, feel them, look at them, lift them up and look at the backs!”

He was extremely passionate about his work and we all greatly enjoyed his talk. He also told us that he was born in a small village in the interior of Anatolia and that many of the people of his mother's generation were illiterate, but believed strongly in getting their children educated, so he and the others were sent off to various boarding schools. His love of carpets also came from his hometown, where they made carpets in much the same way as they did at the factory.

My favorite tidbit he gave us was that he told us when looking for carpets, we should go with a lighter and try to set the carpet on fire. If someone rushes over and starts yelling at us, then we'd know something's wrong, because wool doesn't burn, but the machine-made carpets are made of materials that do burn, so it isn't a carpet we'd want in that case.

We also found out that the price of a Turkish carpet is based directly on how long it takes to make a carpet. The more people involved, the stronger the material, the more knots, the longer it takes. So a small wool carpet might take one weaver a month to make. A large silk carpet might take three of the most skilled weavers in the factory working side by side 5-7 years to finish.

Also, once a weaver or group of weavers start working on a carpet, they're the ones to do the whole thing. No other weaver is allowed to work on it.

Our lecturer added, “When I go to other countries and see the prices of the Turkish carpets there, I have a heart attack. $10,000 for a carpet! That's ridicilous, I say to myself. But then I start thinking, okay, the transportation costs, the custom duties, the red tape... yeah, then I can see why. But here, because we don't deal with that and because we're a branch of the Turkish government, we can sell them for a much more reasonable price.”

With that segue, we were freed to look at carpets, under no obligation to buy, but I was, as I think I've said before, very interested in getting a carpet.

A guy who looked an awful lot like my old kyukido instructor saw me looking at a small carpet walked over to me and struck up a conversation, asking me where I was from, how was I enjoying Turkey, etc.

He told me the carpet I was looking at was silk and I laughed and said, “I was looking for wool actually, and small, because it has to fit in my suitcase.”

“We ship and it's free, because we're under the government”, he replied.

I said that I knew that, but I still wanted to take it with me.

So he said no problem and proceeded to take me into a room and show me a lot of different smaller carpets.
I immediately spot this -beautiful- small carpet with a design I love and colors, especially a bright red, that were just I was looking for.

“$900,” the guy informs me and my heart sinks. I knew we were supposed to negotiate, much like in the leather place, but there's no way I can bring that one to an affordable price.

He starts showing me some other carpets and rattling off prices.

I interrupt, “Um, the thing is, I don't have much money...I'm a student and everything...”

“How much are you looking to spend then?” he asks.

I just stare at him with an embarrased look.

He smiles and beckons with his hands, “Come on, just tell me. It's okay.”

“Um.. $200?”

His manner turns brisk and he starts sweeping through the carpets, “For $200, I can give you...” pointing out some atrociously ugly pieces and I'm getting more and more depressed.

Then I see a carpet with a really cool design, dark blue and a kind of muted orangeish-red.

“$275” he says, seeing my eyes on that carpet.

“Do you have anything in a bright red?” I ask, as that was the color I really wanted.

“Hmm... I can give you this one for $100”, he answers, holding up a bright red carpet, “But it's used and the shape is bad. You really don't want this one.”

It -was- a bad shape and he was right, I didn't want it.

I go over and look at the orangeish-red carpet again.

“$250” the seller says and I know we're officially in the negotiation stage. I really do like the carpet, but at the same time, I really wanted something that's bright red.

He starts going on about how the carpet's Turkish red and blue, very traditional Turkish colors and so on, which was actually a damn good selling point to use with me, as I wanted something authentically Turkish if I could find it.

Meanwhile, there's young Turks () going back and forth with more carpets during his prattling, unrolling them for me to look at.

I'm half-listening to his chatter when I spy a red carpet with touches of green. It's not a bright red, but it's much closer to the true red I was looking for. I go over to take a look at it and I find myself interested.

I go back and forth between the two carpets, which are on separate sides of the room, looking at and touching both of them.

“For $200, I will give you one or the other of these carpets!”, he says.

For $200, I can do one of these, but I'm still not sure what one I want. I love the design on the first carpet, but the red is nifty on the second one.

The guy motions for the young Turks to stop bringing in more carpets and to take the two carpets and place them side by side, since they're obviously the finalists.

At this point, a higher up comes walking in, one of the managers of the place.

He'd been appraised of the situation before he came in, because this place is extremely well-run and after we greet each other, he says:

“For $175, I give you one of these carpets.”

I say nothing, but continue making the hand gestures that I always do when trying to decide between two things. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Turkish red and blue carpet, but I'm not entirely certain.

After a few minutes of these, the manager smiles and says, “Tell you what. For $300, I let you have both carpets if you take them with you.”

“No, can't do that.” is my immediate response, even as I note that we've just brought down the price of one carpet to $150. I was already planning on taking whatever I bought with me anyway, but naturally I don't mention that.

“Okay, for $275 you take both carpets”, counters the manager.

I smile inside my head. Bingo. Now we're at the stage where I'll take both carpets, but $275 is still too stiff for my liking.

“Can you do $250 and I take both carpets?” I ask.

He thinks a bit before saying in a quite serious tone, “I don't want to break your heart, but I do have my limits, you understand... so for $10 more, I can give you both carpets.”

“Deal!” I cheerfully answer.

We all smile and the young Turks and the first seller cheer and clap while the manager and I shake hands to seal the deal.

As the youngsters bustle about to collect my carpets and pack them up, the first salesman congratulates me on my shrewd negotiating.

“You just got a carpet free, you know, because the price on the one was $275. That was some excellent work!”

I received similar messages of congratulation from other employees of the store as word spread of the story. My tour group was impressed as well, including the Malaysian girl, and even my guide was like, “$260 American for both carpets? You did an excellent job.” and he's not one given to hyperbole.

The South Africans got an absolutely gorgeous carpet themselves for $500. The initial asking price for $700, but they didn't bargain very hard, because as the guy later said, “When we see something we like, we generally prefer to get it and don't like bargaining.”

One of the Australian couples almost got a carpet as well, but they weren't able to get a carpet in the color they wanted (dark purple) for their budget and the guy didn't like that it was the same price whether they took it with them or had it shipped and indeed it would have to be shipped, as they've got another month of travel to go. Needless to say, their negotations weren't so harmonious, though to be honest, I don't think they weren't -really- that interested in getting a carpet.

When I heard about the Australians' experiences, I admit I did feel better about not being able to get a bright red. Apparently it's an expensive color to get and purple's priceyness is, of course, legendary, royal purple and all.

After the carpet place, we went to a museum that had artificats from the Ephesus excavations that hadn't been made off with, along with relics from other parts of the former Greek city-state regions, back when water once flowed where mountains now stand. Very interesting and priced right too, at 2 lira.

Our last stop was the Temple of Artemis, once an ancient wonder of the world, burned down twice, once by an old man who wanted to immortalize his name (which he did, incidentally), and rebuilt by Alexander the Great, a miniature bust of whom I'd just bought in the museum shop.

The rest of the group stood at the edge and took pictures, but I could tell they weren't that interested, as it's nothing more than some random free-standing stones and a restored pillar.

For me, though, this site had greater significance.

And so I handed my camera to the guide and scrambled over mound and stone until I reached the pillar and rested my hand on it. As I made my way across the ground, I could see the priests of ages past, walking and chanting, a few smiling as they cried, “Welcome, brother!”

Once again, as in the Vatican, as in touching the pillars of the Temple of Artemis now in Hagia Sophia, I felt the holiness of the place and the presence of something or someone immortal, some greater power far beyond my mortal understanding.

Returning to the lighter note of the tour, we went back to our hotel after the Temple and had a free afternoon. I took advantage of the opportunity to swim in the pool, sprawl in the sun for a little and just relax in general. Dinner and sleep followed.

The next day will come in the next update, as this was a long one.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #94
thealmighty
Pro Starter

What was in your second Kinder egg?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #95
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
What was in your second Kinder egg?

Oops. Forgot to mention that and also forgot to mention a social thing I did the night of the last post, which I'll cover in next post when I write it.

What I got in the second Kinder egg was one of the Champion Ghosts, a cute little bloke with a Blue 1 on his chest and a tiny little die inside of him.

I've named him Morty.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #96
Izulde
Head Coach

I actually did do one thing that night besides dinner and sleep.

There was some talk about people from the two travel groups going out and watching the Liverpool-Marseille Champions League game.

I was leaning towards going, but wasn't certain, when the Malaysian girl asked me if I was going.

I told her I wasn't sure and neither was she, but a few minutes later, I decided to go and to hell with the tired state I was somewhat in.

When I stepped out of the elevator after fetching my hoodie, Malaysian girl was there and I remarked, "I decided I'm going after all."

She smiled, "I think I will too."

A short taxi ride later, six of us were on a main street in... Kumalkia? Whatever the name of the city we stayed two nights at in this part of the trip.

Chelsea-Valencia was the main game on most screens, but we eventually found a bar that offered to put up Liverpool-Marseille for us.

Our group consisted of two Liverpool fanatics and four indifferent, though I found myself cheering for Liverpool anyway, simply because I didn't care either way who won really and I wanted our group to go home happy.

Marseille put on an absolutely brilliant game and Liverpool got a few chances, but couldn't convert. Final score: 1-0 Marseille and the whole bar and street went absolutely ballistic, because it was a huge, -huge- upset.

I mostly watched the game, but chatted some with one of the Australians that came with. Interestingly enough, the Malaysian was the only girl in attendance.

I chatted with our tour guide, who came along, and the girl on the way back, mostly talking about my soccer coaching experiences and mentioning how European soccer was growing on me.

-Then- it was sleep time.

Oh yes, that reminds me. Another thing I forgot about Ephesus while we were there. They have an absolutely astounding theatre with amazing acoustics there. Malaysian girl and I made the long climb up to the top and then some guy started singing Maria down on the stage... and we could actually hear him perfectly! He really had a good voice too and held the entire place in thrall, receiving repeated rounds of thunderous applause.

The next day was a quiet one. Most of it was spent driving to Pamukkale, famous for its white terraces and the pools thereon. An absolutely gorgeous place, but the pools are really more wading and pictures and aren't deep enough to swim.

There is, however, a thermal spring/pool inside that is quite good for swimming and quite costly too (18 lira for one round).

Our guide recommended that for the 3 hours we had open to go out on the terraces first and swim second.

We took his advice and headed out in a large group.

That's when I discovered something about the terraces.

They're extremely rocky and absolute hell on bare feet, which just about everyone goes in, presumably because of the pools.

As a result of this rockiness, our group start breaking off into smaller subgroups about midway through the walk, until, at one point, it was me and the Malaysian girl.

We were about two pools from the end of the terraces and the couple that was ahead of us had just decided to turn back and go off inside.

"I think I'm going to keep going" she said.

"Ah, I'll go with you then, if that's cool" I replied offhandedly.

She said that would be cool and so we walked to the other pools.

Or sort of walked. Like I said, it was extremely rocky, so people didn't walk as much as they searched for the right foothold and made their way across the terrain.

She turned out to be quite light on her feet, adept at finding the best spots. I, on the other hand, stumbled and owed and grimaced clumsily behind her, all the while noticing how the sunlight shone on her perfectly applied purple toenail polish and how deft and graceful her movements were.

During periodic stops, we small talked about what we were doing in our respective countries of the moment. She'd been on a two year work visa in England as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant, I'm not sure which, and said visa runs out in November. And you all know what I'm doing.

We took some pictures as we conquered the last two pools before making the long trek back. This time she went slower, but I nearly fell on my nose about three or four times, any one of which would have had me sprawling right into her and bringing her down with me.

Fortunately, I managed to keep my balance enough for -that- embarassment to be prevented.

As we were walking back inside where the swimmable pool was, she commented that her knees were out of sorts from the high-stepping, though her feet were fine. I chuckled and answered that my feet were saying hooray hooray to be in shoes again but my knees were great. Very yin-yang in a way.

After we got back inside, I paid the 18 lira and swam. She decided not to because there was a gorgeous thermal spring waiting at the hotel.

A hotel I would not be staying in because I, along with one of the Australian couples, was headed on the overnight train back to Istanbul.

This spring, however, was absolutely delicious. Hot-tub warm, relaxing, and a great place to swim. The only drawback was that it murdered the eyes whenever you went underwater, which I did often because that's how I like to swim.

Before leaving, I bought a Turkey hat that I really liked. We all changed and headed to the hotel to check people in. While there, I borrowed a piece of paper and a pen from the front desk clerk and asked everyone in the group for their e-mail address, though I was most interested in one in particular, which frankly surprised me.

Mission successful as I got everyone's email.

The whole group trekked out to see the three of us that were leaving for the train off. We all did the requisite handshakes, hugs, goodbyes, etc. The interaction between me and the Malaysian girl provided some unintentional comedy.

It started off as a handshake and then we stood there, hands still locked, eyes looking into each other's... and we started drawing closer together... but at the last second, I went left and she went right in this comical sort of half-hug. I caught the South African girl smirking knowingly at us while the Malaysian girl laughed and said, "Sorry.. I'm too used to the European hug-hug kiss-kiss thing."

I laughed and said it was no problem. With that, we were off.

The train ride was pleasant. I liked trains and my car had the bonus of a pull-down bed and being able to hook up my laptop for some CK playing. I fell asleep incredibly early, as Pamukkale was just that relaxing. To the tune of 6 pm early.

It would be 4 am before I woke up again.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #97
Izulde
Head Coach

I woke up at 4 am, as I said in the last post, unable to go back to sleep.

So I played a short game as the County of Ulaid, 1066 scenario, in CK, eventually getting the Kingship of Scotland after Malcom got himself excommunicated.

We got in to the station around 8 am and were transported through very grueling traffic to the same hotel as the first night. A word to the wise: Never be on the Asia side of Istanbul heading to the European side at 8 am in the morning, because a lot of people live on Asia side and work in European side. It took an hour and a half before we got there.

I took a bath and crashed, then woke up in the afternoon. I'd originally intended to go on Bosphorous cruise, but it wasn't running that night, so I decided to go to a Turkish bath instead.

The front desk guy was very unhelpful with his directions, so I struck out on my own. 3 hours later, it's only about another hour and a half until the bath closes. I've asked literally dozens of people for directions and can't find the way they're pointing me.

Finally, I'm back by the Blue Mosque and run into another group of Turks who not only know where it is, but offer me a ride there, which amazed me. I of course accepted.

I got to the bath, only to find out that it's closed, but the guy told me about another bath and ordered a taxi for me. The taxi came and the driver asks if the other bath is open, because he doesn't want me spending money if I can't go there. His concern really touched me. Closed bath dude had no idea, but I told the driver I wanted to go anyway.

So I get to the second bath and it's open. There was an hour left before it closed, but unfortunately, there was this group of annoying American girls who complained that the bath cost too much and were trying to get a lower price from the guy at the front desk.

10 minutes later, I'm coughing loudly and giving these girls very dirty looks. They finally get the hint and step aside. So I go upstairs and change into my trunks, only to have the room attendant guy tell me "Go and change!" I'm like "...I did change." "No, no go and change!" Finally, he sent me back downstairs in disgust.

Before I head into the bath, another guy stops me and says, "Don't forget your soap!" I take it, but I'm seriously confused at this point.

I go into the bath and start looking around for the pools, because it's been a long, stressful night.

That's when I realize there's no pools. There's only a large stone and small chambers with fountains and bowls in them. Oh and lots of fat, hairy guys in only a towel.

And that's when I figure out why it said "Bathe yourself" which confused me at first and why I was handed the soap.

So I lay on the stone awhile, filled some bowls with hot, warm, cool and cold water and did a few cycles of those, etc. 30 minutes later, I was done.

I changed and headed out into the night, choosing to walk home rather than go through the hassle of another taxi.

I wandered around and eventually found an open air market, with rows and rows of stalls by the Blue Mosque. Crescent moon lights and gorgeous trees, with masses of smiling, chatting people milling about.

I thought to myself, "So this is Ramadan at night in Turkey." The whole place had a mystical, enchanted air about it, very relaxing and very calming in a way that the Turkish bath wasn't.

The smells of food and drink made me hungry and thirsty and I got a glass of fresh-squeezed pomegranate juice as I was more thirsty than hungry. It was delicious.

I continued walking when a man stopped me and asked for the time. I gave it to him and he starts talking to me. Turns out he's Ukranian and occasionally visits Turkey. We walk and talk for a while until he invites me to a club, saying there's lots of pretty girls there and the like.

My professor's voice comes into my head, telling me the story of what happened when he went to a club in Istanbul that had that exact same pitchline. With that memory, I had no problems declining the Ukranian's offer, saying I had to get up early and so needed to go back to my hotel.

Which was true, but I wanted to enjoy this night of Ramadan in Turkey some more, so I kept walking.

I bought a Sufi music CD at one of the stalls and started to make my way back to my hotel when I heard this music playing that really spoke to me for some reason. It seemed perfect for the night and for my whole experience in Turkey.

I went in and asked who it was. The shopkeeper showed me the CD and I said I wanted it, handing him my debit card, as I had no cash on hand.

It came back rejected, because the machine only took Turkish cards.

I was disappointed, but thanked him for trying and told myself I'd just get the CD from online when I got home.

On my way out of the stall, I noticed another guy indicating the CD I was going to buy and talking to the shopkeeper. Good choice, I thought to myself.

Two minutes later, there's the rush of footsteps behind me and an accented voice asks me, "Are you busy sir?"

I turn around and it's the second guy from the CD place I just left.

"Er...." I answer. He smiles and hands me the CD I wanted to buy, "For you."

"What? Are you sure?" I'm a little suspicious after my Ukranian experience, not quite taking the CD yet.

"Yes. It's a gift. Enjoy your time in Turkey." He smiled again, pressed the CD into my hand and walked off back to the marketplace.

I stood there, holding the CD, overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of the Turkish people that I'd encountered during my tour. I felt my eyes grow moist with gratitude and I walked back to my hotel in a wonderful, reflective mood.

The next day, I made my way back to Spain. Missed my connection in Munich, so had to get a new itinerary, but the German airline gave me a free 10 euro voucher to eat lunch, which I thought was awesome. Then the Spanish airlines lost my luggage, as Spanish airlines are notorious for doing, but I got it back the next day and everything was in it, thankfully.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #98
Izulde
Head Coach

Friday, we went to Nerja. The caves were pretty and interesting to look at, but underwhelming in a way I can't explain.

The beaches, on the other hand, are delicious... finally a beach in Spain that's sandy! Plus the usual assortment of bare-breasted lovelies, including, much to my delight, quite a few of the girls in our American group

We also ate paella there at the restaurant that's famous for it. Ayo, I believe was the name. Great food. Great weather, too, as it was sunny and in the 80s. Only down part was the fact that the Mediterranean there has more gunk in it than I'd like.

I've started classes and my favorite prof from the intensive language course is my prof for Islamic Culture in Spain, which rocks. The prof for my two Spanish language courses is really awesome, too and a fantastic teacher.

Spanish Civilization and Culture is a mixed bag, but should be fun overall.

Then there's Spanish Literature, which can be summed up in the following phrase:

Eight people, when asked, "Why should we analyze literature?", bleat, "To find the author's meaning!"

Hello, ninth circle of Hell.

To make a long story short, after the class, the prof pulled me over and strongly recommended I drop the course, which I'm doing.

I'm unfortunately in a bit of a bind, because my Spanish is 2-3 years away from even beginning to approach this stuff in the original, hence precluding my taking the Spanish Literature courses in Spanish.

So I'm going to see if I can arrange an independent study.

The social life isn't going too hot right now. I've emailed a couple people, one in particular which I was to have a dinner date with, and there's been nothing but the sound.... of the silence. I'm going to try and hook up with fencing tonight, as it should've started by now.

If fencing doesn't pan out, however, the guy I get on the best with in the group has recommended that I do kickboxing with him, so I'll at least have some athletic activity to get involved in.

And I'm not even going to talk about the Dolphins.

At least my fantasy team just might be able to make the playoffs this year.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #99
Izulde
Head Coach

I've been incredibly busy the last week as my mom came to visit, so I gave her the grand tour of the people and places of my life in Granada.

We visited Cordoba this past weekend and saw the Mezquita, which is amazing for its vastness, along with the Alcazaba (very much a military fortress, but the gardens are absolutely incredible) and the old Arab baths.

Last night, we went to the Alhambra, which like the Mezquita in Cordoba, is impressive for its size. The Nasrid palaces have some absolutely stunning architecture as well, but overall the Alhambra was slightly underwhelming to me. Probably because it's been hyped up so much.

In my Islamic Culture in Spain class yesterday morning, we read some of the script of a film dealing with the history of Islam and the Alhambra. Said script was in Spanish and the prof mentioned that a friend of a friend of his had made the film and was looking for someone to translate it into English, so the sales opportunities could grow, as the filmmaker is currently limited to Spanish speakers.

I talked to the prof after the class and said I'd like to try and tackle it. Although my Spanish is still pretty basic, with the prof's help and my skills with the English language, I should be able to produce a bang-up translation.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #100
Izulde
Head Coach

Tomorrow Sevilla for the weekend with my insanely cliquey group.

I've been sleeping pretty poorly the last couple of nights and am beset with crises of confidence with regards to women and writing.

No replies from any of the girls I've contacted, either to hang out or, in quite a few cases, just to see how they're doing.

And it feels like whatever writing talent I had, if I had any to begin with, is decaying more and more each day.

I was planning on going somewhere next week, when I get a 5 day holiday, but I may just either stay here in Granada, or take a weekend trip to somewhere in Spain.

I'd like to be able to get up to Normandy, to visit the beaches and fulfill the vow I made before I left, especially since I may be going to Amsterdam with a guy from my program for the December break, but I don't know... I'm feeling like it'd be very lonely being there by myself.

But we'll see.