Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

how much of a scumbag is this hockey coach?

i hope 15 days is enough time for him to get "speared" in prison if you know what i mean...this vid is the exact opposite of the one about the basketball manager.

Pee wee hockey coach Martin Tremblay gets 15 days in jail for tripping player - ESPN

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

not saying that is any better, but at least those were grown men, not a 10 year old kid
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

One could say that Woody did his in the heat of the game as were this is post game during a handshake.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I would bet in both situations, the player said something to the coach which caused the coach to react - not that it makes it right. If a grown man can't shrug off a comment from a 10-year old, he probably shouldn't be coaching.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i hope 15 days is enough time for him to get "speared" in prison if you know what i mean...this vid is the exact opposite of the one about the basketball manager.

Pee wee hockey coach Martin Tremblay gets 15 days in jail for tripping player - ESPN

If he is in jail rather than prison, it is probably just a local PD lockup. I'd be surprised if he had anyone in there with him.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I posted the Woody clip because it was the first thing I thought of (didn't have time to post anything more.) I meant to follow it up, but forgot.

What Woody did was stupid. He got caught up in the heat of the moment and made a mistake that tainted an excellent legacy.

This douchebag waited until after the game and took action against a defenseless kid. The kid could have gotten seriously hurt. Whatever the kid did that pissed the coach off he should have had the kids on his team settle it. That's how things should work. This guy should never be allowed to coach kids again. Simply deplorable.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This douchebag waited until after the game and took action against a defenseless kid. The kid could have gotten seriously hurt. Whatever the kid did that pissed the coach off he should have had the kids on his team settle it. That's how things should work. This guy should never be allowed to coach kids again. Simply deplorable.

Is that really what we want to teach the kids?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Is that really what we want to teach the kids?

To fight their own battles? Damn right.

I don't know what the kid did to piss off the coach enough to do this, but I believe that kids should stick up for themselves. If the kid did something in the game against the other team, I do believe that having them act on it themselves is a much better means of controlling behavior than tripping the kid after the game. Pure speculation here, but I doubt the coach just picked a random kid on the team to trip.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't know what the kid did to piss off the coach enough to do this, but I believe that kids should stick up for themselves. If the kid did something in the game against the other team, I do believe that having them act on it themselves is a much better means of controlling behavior than tripping the kid after the game. Pure speculation here, but I doubt the coach just picked a random kid on the team to trip.

"Yes Timmy, if somebody does something you don't like, it is OK to react with violence."
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
"Yes Timmy, if somebody does something you don't like, it is OK to react with violence."

What else would you expect from a hockey fan?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

"Yes Timmy. If somebody knocks you down in a sporting event without your having any time to react, you should get up and do absolutely nothing. If he does it again you should do nothing. If he does it again you should just continue to let him do whatever he wants to you, so long as you do nothing. By all means, do nothing to protect yourself or your friends. And that goes for the rest of the team as well. Whatever anybody does to you is ok, so long as you let them do it and do nothing to let them know that it is wrong other than telling them they shouldn't do that. If they don't understand, then that is their problem. Just don't do anything to physically inform them that there is any sort of danger of retaliation."

What's so wrong with teaching a kid to stand up for himself? That starting fights is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with finishing one?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"Yes Timmy. If somebody knocks you down in a sporting event without your having any time to react, you should get up and do absolutely nothing. If he does it again you should do nothing. If he does it again you should just continue to let him do whatever he wants to you, so long as you do nothing. By all means, do nothing to protect yourself or your friends. And that goes for the rest of the team as well. Whatever anybody does to you is ok, so long as you let them do it and do nothing to let them know that it is wrong other than telling them they shouldn't do that. If they don't understand, then that is their problem. Just don't do anything to physically inform them that there is any sort of danger of retaliation."

What's so wrong with teaching a kid to stand up for himself? That starting fights is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with finishing one?

I find it interesting that the only two options you can come up with is to perpetrate violence, or do nothing and be the victim of violence. I also find it interesting that you jump to the coach's actions being retaliation for violence. With very little known about the story, you filled in all the gaps with violence.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Ah no, not right, not ever right in a structured sport.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I always forget how mind-bogglingly shitty that pass was.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-27-2013 at 10:01 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
I find it interesting that the only two options you can come up with is to perpetrate violence, or do nothing and be the victim of violence. I also find it interesting that you jump to the coach's actions being retaliation for violence. With very little known about the story, you filled in all the gaps with violence.

he isnt perpetuating violence at all. he is simply stating that there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. and he is right. that isnt to say that you are wrong, but i have to admit, that i grow tired of this pacified bullshit we see from people.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find it interesting that the only two options you can come up with is to perpetrate violence, or do nothing and be the victim of violence.

What other options are there. Please elaborate on what the absolute solution is. I am all for any solution that makes all violence go away once and for all with no mess and no problems.

Quote:
I also find it interesting that you jump to the coach's actions being retaliation for violence. With very little known about the story, you filled in all the gaps with violence.

I agree that I know very little about the story. It is entirely possible that a man coaches a pee wee hockey game, gets to the end of it and with no reason behind it decides to trip one specific kid, blowing past the others in front of him like they meant nothing to him. Entirely possible.

In any event the douchebag will be spending a few days in jail. He deserves it. Let's all hope for a nonviolent outcome if he ever coaches adult men & randomly trips some guy during the handshake for absolutely no reason.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
he isnt perpetuating violence at all. he is simply stating that there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. and he is right. that isnt to say that you are wrong, but i have to admit, that i grow tired of this pacified bullshit we see from people.

Thank you.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

petty sure the kid broke his wrist.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #20
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What other options are there. Please elaborate on what the absolute solution is. I am all for any solution that makes all violence go away once and for all with no mess and no problems.

When I played youth sports, my coaches always taught us not to retaliate and to inform the coach. The coach would talk to the officials, the officials would watch for the next incident, call a foul/penalty and have a chat with the opposing coach. I've seen it happen multiple times, and that is always where things stopped. Youth sports is still about teaching the kids. Instead of teaching your kids to "get even" or "send a message", isn't it better to teach the other kid where the line is?

Kids don't know better until they are taught. Coaches should know better and should be aware of what they are teaching the kids. In my mind, performing the cheap shot himself is just as wrong as authorizing one of the kids to do it.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
When I played youth sports, my coaches always taught us not to retaliate and to inform the coach. The coach would talk to the officials, the officials would watch for the next incident, call a foul/penalty and have a chat with the opposing coach. I've seen it happen multiple times, and that is always where things stopped. Youth sports is still about teaching the kids. Instead of teaching your kids to "get even" or "send a message", isn't it better to teach the other kid where the line is?

Kids don't know better until they are taught. Coaches should know better and should be aware of what they are teaching the kids. In my mind, performing the cheap shot himself is just as wrong as authorizing one of the kids to do it.

This and it really shocks me some don't understand the role of a coach, especially in youth sports.

Don't confuse the role of sports and the correct way to handle things on the field vs teaching your kids to stand up for themselves in situations that may occur in everyday life I.E bullying.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Blackadar
Retired

I think there is a middle ground. It's ok to use the opponent's play as a reason to get your team fired up and to play harder. I know that laster year during an away football game, one of the opposing players stomped on our player with no flag (home refs were simply awful in this game). It wasn't the first illegal or unsportsmanlike hit from them either.

When our defense came off for a break, I had enough. I took my son aside and lit him up. "Are you going to let those guys do that to your players? You go show them that you can't be walked on or over! You need to send a message RIGHT NOW!" I'm sure I said a few other things, but the meaning was clear - let them know that you aren't going to roll over and take that kind of bullshit.

The next series he absolutely destroyed their entire OL - two hard tackles for a loss and a QB pressure/hit. All 3 hits were clean but delivered without any mercy whatsoever. We lost the game, but there wasn't any extra BS from the opposite team after that. And my son found out how well he could play from that series and was able to carry that over into the rest of the games that season.

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-28-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I think there is a middle ground. It's ok to use the opponent's play as a reason to get your team fired up and to play harder. I know that laster year during an away football game, one of the opposing players stomped on our player with no flag (home refs were simply awful in this game). It wasn't the first illegal or unsportsmanlike hit from them either.

When our defense came off for a break, I had enough. I took my son aside and lit him up. "Are you going to let those guys do that to your players? You go show them that you can't be walked on or over! You need to send a message RIGHT NOW!" I'm sure I said a few other things, but the meaning was clear - let them know that you aren't going to roll over and take that kind of bullshit.

The next series he absolutely destroyed their entire OL - two hard tackles for a loss and a QB pressure/hit. All 3 hits were clean but delivered without any mercy whatsoever. We lost the game, but there wasn't any extra BS from the opposite team after that. And my son found out how well he could play from that series and was able to carry that over into the rest of the games that season.

And I have no issue with playing within the rules and showing you are not going to be intimidated. But to retaliate by fighting or doing anything outside the rules is an absolute never for me. I will talk to an official if I see or our kids tell me about any cheap stuff going on and hold them to do their jobs by maintaining order.

You get teams talking trash alot to try and instigate things. Our kids are told from day 1 that that stuff doesn't fly and if another team does it shut up and walk away. Do your talking with your pads whistle to whistle, nothing cheap.

I may have misunderstood M Go Blue's OP. If he is advocating playing hard within the rules to show you won't be pushed around or intimidated...absolutely. If advocating anything outside the rules, fighting, cheap shot, intentionally hitting a batter, gouging/hitting at the bottom of a pile....absolutely not.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Within the rules, yes, but fighting in baseball, football and basketball are not within the rules (and soon to include violent hits in football). I would think and hope that fighting in hockey is not as well, but I'm not sure with that sport.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote