Head Coach

footballrumormill.com is reporting a few things tonight:

- ASU is pausing on June Jones.

- A&M is focusing on Fedora and Strong.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #402
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

UCLA appears to be focusing on Al Golden. Now, whether they can actually get him after he just signed a big extension, who knows - this is Dan Guerrero we're talking about here.

Surprised I haven't seen Dave Christensen's name popping up so far with some of these openings...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #403
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
UCLA appears to be focusing on Al Golden. Now, whether they can actually get him after he just signed a big extension, who knows - this is Dan Guerrero we're talking about here.

Surprised I haven't seen Dave Christensen's name popping up so far with some of these openings...

He has a losing record at Wyoming overall, which isn't exactly sexy. He'd make a good fallback pick for somebody, but I think he'll need another year at UW of 8 wins or even a surprise conference title with TCU gone next year or 2nd in the MWC to make him more attractive. But I'd be surprised if he was still in Laramie in 3 years.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Where does the Golden rumor come from, DeTox? Golden was a candidate four years ago, when he was at Temple, but he is not anywhere on a lisr for UCLA right now, to my knowledge. And even if he is on a long list somewhere, he's certainly not near the top of it nor already receiving any advances or offers from UCLA.

Because of the money now involved, media needs to just throw out past UCLA coaching searches. This ain't like those. And in some cases, the money isn't there for anyone but a top coach, because the donors won't support a Tier 2 coach at this point.

Assuming Petersen has rejected UCLA (despite the media reports, that hasn't been official yet), there is a number of potential candidates that will next be considered. Golden wasn't on that list.

Quote:
Yeah, if Simers came up with that, he's an utter tool and has proven over the years he knows nothing and has no sources. He just piggybacks off of other info to write his columns, which are usually scathing and insulting to their targets. Plus, the LA Times has long been a USC supporting paper--they generally don't have a clue about UCLA, particularly football.

Quote:
Yeah, Simers is following his own lead there--Guerrero even told Chris Foster (another guy who always seems to approach UCLA with an edge, rather than actually doing his homework and writing appropriately) Golden wasn't being talked to, and Simers ignored it, lol.

I was worried that we wouldn't see this type of stuff anymore. This thread delivers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #405
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rumors that Sweater Vest was in LA yesterday
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #406
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought he was hit with, or will be hit with, a show cause that will essentially prevent him from coaching for a couple of years?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #407
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I was worried that we wouldn't see this type of stuff anymore. This thread delivers.

That's the thing, though. Simers IS an utter tool. It's pretty much a known fact. And he even admits in his own article that the LA Times beat reporter for UCLA was told by the AD that Golden was not a candidate, and he ignored that. He based this on Golden coming up four years ago in the search that brought in Neuheisel. It was a completely haphazard and stupid way of coming to this conclusion.

But the blind squirrel got lucky and got his nut--turns out UCLA is at least looking that way, possibly (although they seem to have a number of candidates).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #408
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Florida Atlantic hires Carl Pelini, Bo's brother as their 2nd ever coach after Harold Howard Schnellenberger finally called it quits.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #409
Ksyrup

I saw a couple of tweets suggesting Mora Jr. might be a surprise candidate at UCLA. Is that just internet/twitter speculation, or a possibility?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw a couple of tweets suggesting Mora Jr. might be a surprise candidate at UCLA. Is that just internet/twitter speculation, or a possibility?

That ought to be good for some popcorn eating entertainment
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He has been brought up by some in the department, and might be the next candidate on the list. I'm not too wild about that potential hire.

Of course, we're still trying to figure out if the Sweater Vest sightings are for real (and if so, is that a good move...).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #412
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii AD and Chancellor met with HC Greg McMackin today and an announcement is suppose to be made shortly. Rumors are he will be back for his final year of the contract. I seriously hope not.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #413
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Of course, we're still trying to figure out if the Sweater Vest sightings are for real (and if so, is that a good move...).

Nah, he is just dress shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #414
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm selfishly hoping Jim L. Mora isn't a serious candidate at UCLA, because I'd rather he's available next year as a DC in case Sark finally decides to fire Nick Holt.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #415
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Nah, he is just dress shopping.

Actually, I heard he was trying out some of the local tattoo parlors.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #416
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds as if Golden turned down UCLA. Feel for Bruins fans, this search seems like a disaster.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #417
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sounds as if Golden turned down UCLA. Feel for Bruins fans, this search seems like a disaster.

Yeah, don't know what happened there, but that's what I think, too. I don't know that an offer was made, but at least an overture was, and it seems that Golden declined to be considered for the position.

Really, the search was just about guaranteed to be a disaster from the start, and we all should have known it. It is being run by one of the most incompetent ADs in the nation in Dan Guerrero, who is much more interested in protecting his own hide than making a positive step for the football program. Consider that in his decade at the head of the department, he has hired two failed football coaches (and maybe about to hire a third), has failed to make any improvements to the on campus facilities, failed to make any headway with the academic admissions committee on bahelf of his football coaches and failed to significantly increase the pool of money for assistants. He has done nothing to change the culture of UCLA towards the concept of a competitive football program, and the program continues to operate under rules and assumptions and guidelines ditched by other programs decades ago. Just about everything he does that comes to the public's attention is a total screwup.

Keep in mind, this guy didn't even want to fire Neuheisel and was essentially forced to because of donor pressure and faltering football stadium revenues (i.e. 25% drop in paid football attendance).

Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #418
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Psst. I hear Rick Neuheisel is available.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #419
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

If Hawaii starts looking for a new coach, I don't even know who would be interested, our budget will be down to 600k it looks like. They are in the red so bad after this season.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #420
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

with or without a new coach, Hawaii next season is going to be bad. We open @ USC, so there is 1 loss. I see maybe 5 wins on the schedule. 2 of those are Lamar, and South Alabama. lol
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #421
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

It's official now. Hawaii is officially looking for a new HC. Mac resigned/retired. They pretty much forced the hand though. Hurray!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
It's official now. Hawaii is officially looking for a new HC.

Hawaii, we'd like you to meet Mr. Neuheisel

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #423
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

We can't afford him. Lmao. Sad but wonderful.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #424
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Let the Pat Hill to Hawaii rumors begin.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #425
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh the irony if the most outraged fan base in all of football that prides itself on how clean it's team is and not at all like those whores across town hires a guy on a show cause penalty for lying under investigation to the NCAA. I don't think Cheatey Petey even sank that low did he?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #426
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

either Al Preston or Mike Sewak of Georgia Tech has expressed some interest in the Hawaii position.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #427
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
It's official now. Hawaii is officially looking for a new HC. Mac resigned/retired. They pretty much forced the hand though. Hurray!

I hear June Jones is looking around..........again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #428
Ksyrup

Quote:

Even worse - Donna Shalala says Guerrero called her and Golden wasn't interested, while Guerrero says he never called. Um....
Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #429
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even worse - Donna Shalala says Guerrero called her and Golden wasn't interested, while Guerrero says he never called. Um....

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #430
Ksyrup

SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
Dan Guerrero's UCLA football coach search is officially coated w/ runway foam. For his sake, hope Chancellor Block fails to locate black box
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Oh the irony if the most outraged fan base in all of football that prides itself on how clean it's team is and not at all like those whores across town hires a guy on a show cause penalty for lying under investigation to the NCAA. I don't think Cheatey Petey even sank that low did he?

We heard the same thing when we hired Rick. How many infractions did he commit while at UCLA?

Edit - I should add that we are tired of being a bad, clean program. We need to change some class for some football winning

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-06-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #432
Ksyrup

The biggest - he didn't win.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #433
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
The biggest - he didn't win.

Nothing gets by you!

(We are talking about a walking infraction not committing infractions during his tenure, nothing more)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #434
MJ4H
Coordinator

Fallout from Zook getting fired is Paul Petrino coming back to Arkansas after OC Garrick McGee took the head coaching job at UAB. Sucks losing McGee (who is an awesome person, coach, and recruiter), but getting Paul Petrino back is a nice salve for the wound, for sure.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #435
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I don't think you're exactly coming from the moral high ground now. Glass houses and all...

Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #436
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS
Dan Guerrero's UCLA football coach search is officially coated w/ runway foam. For his sake, hope Chancellor Block fails to locate black box

I can only hope someone finally wakes up and fire his ass. Too bad it will only be after he Fs up a third straight football hire.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #437
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think you're exactly coming from the moral high ground now. Glass houses and all...

No one wants to see Mark Mangino or Ralph Friedgen in glass houses. Wait- that wasn't the question, was it?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #438
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Fallout from Zook getting fired is Paul Petrino coming back to Arkansas after OC Garrick McGee took the head coaching job at UAB. Sucks losing McGee (who is an awesome person, coach, and recruiter), but getting Paul Petrino back is a nice salve for the wound, for sure.
I'm kind of surprised McGee took the UAB job... sounds like they are getting no support from the state of Alabama right now.

UMass appears to have zeroed in on ND offensive coordinator Charley Molnar. Good offensive background, appears to have some charisma, and has experience in the MAC conference. I was hoping for Whipple or Neal Brown, but he sounds better than others mentioned in the search (Calvin Magee, BC's D-coordinator.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #440
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:

not as big as it has been for ASU
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #442
corbes
College Benchwarmer

UNC has apparently offered a contract to Larry Fedora but it has not yet been accepted. UNC board dwellers are currently beside themselves with speculation that he may be meeting with A&M.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #443
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm kind of surprised McGee took the UAB job... sounds like they are getting no support from the state of Alabama right now.

UMass appears to have zeroed in on ND offensive coordinator Charley Molnar. Good offensive background, appears to have some charisma, and has experience in the MAC conference. I was hoping for Whipple or Neal Brown, but he sounds better than others mentioned in the search (Calvin Magee, BC's D-coordinator.)

UAB has never gotten any support from the state school system. A few years back, they tried to identified and tried to hire Jimbo Fisher as their head coach and the system wouldn't approve his contract.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #444
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

No that was the entire point of the post, but it's nice to see you guys down here slumming with us for once.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #445
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Fedora has accepted the UNC position according to Fayetteville newspaper.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #446
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Some twitter rumblings that Troy Calhoun may be getting the A&M job.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #447
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
It's interesting to me that there seems to be a possibility that Sumlin stays at Houston. He's out at ASU and UCLA. A&M is clearly an option but they are going to interview multiple candidates. I don't see any other position out there for him. Interesting to see how that works out for him.

There was a lot of talk on Illini forums today around Sumlin and Illinois working on contract terms. I haven't read the whole thread, so something may have come up over the past few hours, but as of early evening it sounded like there were at least some serious discussions taking place.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #448
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Again, random Twitter buzz so take it with a grain of salt but apparently momentum is starting gather around June Jones to ASU.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #449
Ksyrup

Bruce Feldman, among others, says Sumlin to Illinois is not happening.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #450
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Jim Mora Jr. to UCLA seemed to be gaining steam yesterday. Still in a holding pattern today, waiting to hear any news.