Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
kicktothehead99
n00b

To prove how bad I suq at this game ....

Grayson Herbert - a total backup on my team who posted a 63.7 QB rating leaves on free agency to JAX - and ends up leading the league in passing yards!

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN! ARGH!

In all your opinions - please as many as possible :

A. Is this guy considered "good"
B. If so - why do you think so?
C. What kind of offensive scheme would you have him run?

kicktothehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Maybe supporting cast is different? OL?

That guy isn't specially good
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
kicktothehead99
n00b

Here is a high level view of JAX

Here is a high level view of my suq team haha

Here is my QB which had been mediocre for several seasons now

Old 11-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Your WRs are not even near to them, same for OL and defense... You should improve the level of your team to be successful, that's quite of a "mediocre" team
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
kicktothehead99
n00b

Aha okay - I thought it wasn't that bad overall -
So for starting players - what is a good "scout number" in general? 55-60 for a starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Your WRs are not even near to them, same for OL and defense... You should improve the level of your team to be successful, that's quite of a "mediocre" team
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The talent doesn't seem to be the biggest issue, the number of players that recently joined the team is extremely high. It looks like half your starters on offense joined in the current season (2040) and half of the rest joined the previous season (2039). Bad cohesion will decrease your performance and good cohesion will improve it.

Jacksonville looks like it has much better cohesion (in comparison) and might have the right TE, WR and OL (which to me is impossible to tell by just the overall ratings) to make a backup material QB look good (the 32nd best QB will usually be rated about 45, with the 16th best about 55, so a "39" with the right support can do better than an average starter). I think you did well giving up on that QB, it might just be a single-season fairy tale.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Your OL looks pretty solid. The T spots are especially strong. Now the key is to keep them together while building at the skill positions. With that QB you should be doing well in a couple seasons, but you definitely want to get a good team together and then keep them together as much as you can. Minimal roster turnover can be the thing that takes a 7-9 team to 11-5 territory.

Get those skill positions in order ASAP and give this team 3-5 years to come together and you should be looking good.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
kicktothehead99
n00b

thank you everyone for the replies - this is the type of advice that really helps!
If anyone is interested I will post screens after another season or 2
Old 11-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Olsson
High School JV

Cohesion is king!

I've had numerous great teams over the span of my careers, however the most succesful are the ones with great cohesion.

What would you choose?

A: Bring in a Free Agent 62-rated 4 year veteran T
B: Stick with your 54-rated T of a similar age that has spent 4 years with the team.

I'd take B almost everytime, unless there's a significant difference in age, skill set etc. Try not to change the team for a small egde in ratings.

Try looking in the One'N'Done forum if you want to see how powerful cohesion is :-)

Last edited by Olsson : 11-29-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

1 DE, 1 TE / WR
should be enough for playoffs
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #11
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Star WRs/TEs and a solid OL are everything.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
kcarr
High School JV

I think cohesion is a huge factor. I am not one who tries to build a team based on chemistry but I think at least having the team together long term is important and will show up as a problem if you dont have it by your team starting off very poorly and then finally coming together too late in the year.

In my current lions franchise which does not have the powerhouse passing game these guys suggest, especially this year with injuries, I am 6-0. I am in my 3rd year here though and have had a lot of my team together a while and have a few memtors.

My qb is Stafford, 42/42, who has started all 3 years and forever before that. At rb I still use keryon Johnson, 62, some but I drafted a guy in my first draft in round 4 who is a 71 who carries the team. My tight ends were built my first off-season with free agent Josh hill, 46/46, and a 5th round pick, 40/51 right now. My wife receivers are normally good but Kenny Holliday, 63, is out, tj Jones, 56, is out both for the year. Both have been around long term though. I have a guy I drafted my first year who is a 66 and then auden Tate who I just signed, 36/42, starting with my slot being a guy I signed right at the beginning as a special teams guy and a couple others of the same type behind him.

My line is what holds us together, my lg, C, RG, and RT habe been there the whole time, are a, 73 71, 48, and 72, and the last 2 are mentors. My lt I drafted in the 3rd round my first year but is a 72/81 right now.

My defense is also very good but even without a 2nd good pass catcher my offense continues to roll on. I do make sure it runs through my backs who both do well with a dominant line but when we need a passing game we can usually get something together
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
kicktothehead99
n00b

Thank you!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
kcarr
High School JV

Also, don't forget special teams. On other teams I have ignored them and often gave up the 35 or 40 on kickoffs, now I have an eye on it at all times including filling the back of my roster with special teams guys. I even have a 13/13 corner who is always active because of a 96 in special teams. He usually is around the team lead in special teams tackles and makes a decent number of tackles for negative yards on punts. This can change the whole flow of the game by allowing you to win the field position battle
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #15
campinginalaska
n00b

God damn I'm the exact same, though! I'd argue it's cause I'm the Texans and our OL.... yep...

I think this is mainly cohesion though, I am not someone who builds my team on chemistry but you definitely need a star WR considering your OL is actually really solid, a good normal QB like that most definitely can do wonders if his team is with him (in terms of cohesion), I've seen it before in some saves when I bring my backup to the forefront and they end up getting constant heroics and leading us just because he's been there for 4+ years.
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote