Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Unbelievable Inhumanity

Have you been watching the story of the family in California with 12 kids age 2 to 29 who basically held them prisoner in their own home:

13 captive siblings forced to shower once a year, strangled, subject to frequent beatings: Prosecutor - ABC News

The girl who escaped plotted with two of her brothers for two years in order to escape and call 9-1-1. She was so dirty and malnourished that police thought she was 10 when they first found her-she was 17.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
miami_fan
Coordinator

The thread title says it all.

However, I won't be surprised to hear about their rights to raise their children as they see fit throughout the trial.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, it's gross stuff. I'm trying to decide whether the mother's dead, smiling eyes or the dad's heinous bowl-cut are more damning.

Somewhere in there I read a quote that also spooked me from an aunt of the mother that was something along the lines of "We thought she was the stable one out of that bunch" referring to her nieces/nephews, which just kind of leaves a lingering dread of more horrible tales to come.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My gutshot reaction to this was "you're overestimating humanity"
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yeah, it's gross stuff. I'm trying to decide whether the mother's dead, smiling eyes or the dad's heinous bowl-cut are more damning.

Somewhere in there I read a quote that also spooked me from an aunt of the mother that was something along the lines of "We thought she was the stable one out of that bunch" referring to her nieces/nephews, which just kind of leaves a lingering dread of more horrible tales to come.

yeah I saw that about the aunt-she apparently stayed with them when she was in college, and said she did not see the abuse-which is hard to believe, but doesn't sound like things were that bad back then-though the father would come in and watch her while she took a shower.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

More than likely some mental illness/deficiency ... but regardless, get those 2 out of the gene pool.

Unfortunately they now have 12 kids that are going to face significant challenges coping in the real world.

On the aunt, I find it hard to believe she did not suspect something. All it would have taken is some sort of phone call to social services or law enforcement.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thought this thread was going to be about Larry Nassar
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Yeah it could have been. Sadly we might need this thread for stories like that. I see they are going after long-time Gymnastics organizers/coaches the Karolyi's too-US Gymnastics stopped their association with them.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Get him out of the gene pool too. Yeah, he's going to have a real fun time in prison.

Aly Raisman Tells Nassar 'You Are Pathetic' After He Complains About Sentencing Hearing | HuffPost
Quote:
Nassar, who faces a sentence of at least 25 years for sexual abuse, delivered a six-page letter to the court on Thursday, saying it had become too difficult for him “mentally” to continue to listen to his victims.

“This isn’t worth the paper it’s written on,” county Judge Rosemarie Aquilina responded. “There’s no truth in here. It’s delusional.”

Raisman referenced the letter in her statement. “You are pathetic to think any woman would have any sympathy for you,” she said. “You think this is hard for you? Imagine how any of us feels.”
Old 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

Question for the FOFC legal luminaries.

How normal is the victim impact statements process that is going on in the Nassar trial? I don't think I have ever seen a situation where the court has allowed people directly related to the case (i.e. the people that he has admitted to committing crimes against and family members) to give victim statements.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Question for the FOFC legal luminaries.

How normal is the victim impact statements process that is going on in the Nassar trial?

It's pretty widespread best I can tell, though the format & process varies from state to state. Most common timing is in the sentencing phase (such as this case) but whether they're verbal or written is more diverse.

Probably what makes it stand out more here than in a more common case is both the number testifying and the ultra high media profile.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's pretty widespread best I can tell, though the format & process varies from state to state. Most common timing is in the sentencing phase (such as this case) but whether they're verbal or written is more diverse.

Probably what makes it stand out more here than in a more common case is both the number testifying and the ultra high media profile.
Especially because normally in a sexual assault/pedophilia case maintaining the anonymity of the victim(s) is usually a consideration for the court, while in this case not only were some so high profile that was borderline impossible, but also certain victims like Raisman want the publicity to push for more change.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nassar gets an additional 40-175 years.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Just an incredible threadjack
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't know the original story could get sadder. But sometimes you just want to hate humanity.

Former classmate expresses ‘guilt and shame’ over bullying oldest Turpin child endured | FOX2now.com
Old 01-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Have you been watching the story of the family in California with 12 kids age 2 to 29 who basically held them prisoner in their own home:

13 captive siblings forced to shower once a year, strangled, subject to frequent beatings: Prosecutor - ABC News

The girl who escaped plotted with two of her brothers for two years in order to escape and call 9-1-1. She was so dirty and malnourished that police thought she was 10 when they first found her-she was 17.

I find the one shower a year hard to believe. The whole story will be told sooner or later, but that one is just too strange for me to believe.

One piece of relatively good news ...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...470769913.html
Quote:
More than $120,000 has been donated to help 13 siblings in California who authorities say were kept chained to beds for months by their parents and starved so much that their growth was stunted, officials said Tuesday.

The Riverside University Health System Foundation, which is collecting donations for the family, had received 1,514 donations by Tuesday morning, said spokeswoman Kim Trone. People from across the world have also been sending toys, blankets and clothing for the siblings, she said.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

well really the whole situation is hard to believe-that parents could treat their children like that-yet it happened.

And yes nice to see some humanity come through in an inhumanity thread
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So is Michigan State going to build a statue of the President or AD, or is it only if the football coach is the one who enables pedophiles?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Nassar gets an additional 40-175 years.

I'm sure some had good reasons why they didn't resign but what the heck took so long?
USA Gymnastics Board to Comply with USOC, Resign Amid Larry Nassar Scandal | Bleacher Report
Quote:
The entire USA Gymnastics board resigned Friday in the midst of the scandal involving former USAG physician Larry Nassar, according to NBC News.

Earlier Friday, NBC News' Julia Jester and Tracy Connor reported the United States Olympic Committee demanded the board's resignation within six days.

Had the board not resigned, the USOC threatened to decertify USA Gymnastics
Old 01-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

5-year-old’s death investigation: Social worker accepted $10,000 in food stamps as bribe, prosecutor says | fox8.com
Old 02-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly these stories don't stop coming...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/01/us/ma...est/index.html
Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like how Nassar's attorney said she (paraphrase obviously) doubted he had the time to actually fingerbang that many girls.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

guess you can put that lawyer in this category too.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I like how Nassar's attorney said she (paraphrase obviously) doubted he had the time to actually fingerbang that many girls.

Serious question here.
Nassar is a piece of trash that provides no value to the planet. He is guilty of harming kids and has admitted as such. He has been sentenced to a jail term he has no chance of outliving.

Why cant we just expedite the process? It will cost $100k+ to house his ass for decades and probably more in medical expenses after he is treated justly by other inmates.

Why cant we just invest $1.29 in lead and brass and speed this shit up.

The absolute only justice in this, is I hope he has to feel the powerless-ness and the ear and torment first hand that he inflicted on these girls. I hope he is tortured in prison. I hope he dies as a result of that torture and I hope God shows no mercy on his soul.

Dammit every time I read any of this shit about him I just want to hug my daughter and immediately lock her in her room.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

We could save the $1.29 and just let that father have five minutes with him.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly another two contestants for this "prize"

Hart children may have been abused before deadly crash, authorities say
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

U.S. Department of Education cites Michigan State University with Clery Act violations - ESPN, Outside the Lines
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's a candidate. I don't know if she should be charged for involuntary manslaughter but what she did was inhumane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...raging-n968291
Quote:
The Massachusetts Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the involuntary manslaughter conviction of a woman who encouraged her boyfriend's suicide through text messages.

Michelle Carter will have to serve 15 months behind bars for the 2017 conviction that held her responsible for the July 2014 suicide of Conrad Roy III, 18.

"The evidence against the defendant proved that, by her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim's death by suicide," according to the high court opinion.

"Her conviction of involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender is not legally or constitutionally infirm. The judgment is therefore affirmed."
:
:
Carter was on the phone with Roy as he inhaled carbon monoxide inside his Ford F-250 truck in Fairhaven, Massachusetts. At the time, Carter was 17 and about a month out of a psychiatric hospital.

She opted against a jury and Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz found that Carter caused Roy's death by telling him to "get back in" his truck as it was filling with poisonous fumes.

The high court cited Carter's own words, in text messages to friends after Roy's death, as supporting her conviction.

"As the defendant herself explained, and we repeat due to its importance, `[The victim's] death is my fault like honestly I could have stopped him I was on the phone with him and he got out of the [truck] because it was working and he got scared and I f--king told him to get back in,'" the court wrote in its decision.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

I’ve been a huge MSU fan since childhood, and this disgusts me. It makes me sick that a ton of MSU fans, students, and alumni are making excuses about the whole Nassar thing.

When is this country going to realize that sexual abuse is a huge problem. I think it’s almost being watered down by political games and selective memories. Sex abuse has touched almost all of our lives. Heck, it almost ruined my life, and I deal with the effects everyday.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. It's like what happened at Penn State. Horrible things occurred, but fans tried to excuse it or rationalize it away. I'd actually become a big fan of MSU football and basketball before this stuff came to light, so I was very disgusted with them. People's lives are being ruined, but these administrations care only about preserving the brand and winning games. It's sickening.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-07-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah. It's like what happened at Penn State. Horrible things occurred, but fans tried to excuse it or rationalize it away. I'd actually become a big fan of MSU football and basketball before this stuff came to light, so I was very disgusted with them. People's lives are being ruined, but these administrations care only about preserving the brand and winning games. It's sickening.

I’ll still cheer for the teams, as it’s not the fault of the students, but I certainly wouldn’t send my daughter to school there.

The school needs to pay dearly for this though.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #32
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah it’s a fascinating exercise in cognitive dissonance - I think it would happen to an extent at any school, but I would love to know how many MSU fans now defending their program are ones who were vocally calling for the death penalty in the Penn State case.

It doesn’t make any sense to me but maybe it would be different if it was something I really cared about?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #33
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah it’s a fascinating exercise in cognitive dissonance - I think it would happen to an extent at any school, but I would love to know how many MSU fans now defending their program are ones who were vocally calling for the death penalty in the Penn State case.

It doesn’t make any sense to me but maybe it would be different if it was something I really cared about?

You’re spot on regarding cognitive dissonance. The same thing is going on in politics on both sides, in my opinion.

I’m not going to say that being a victim myself plays no part in the ability to see this whole thing for what it really is. If I hadn’t been, maybe I’d be one of those dopes defending the school. I would hope not, but you never know.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Deputies find 4 malnourished kids, 2 living in dog kennels in rural Texas
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #35
Edward64
Head Coach

What makes people do this? Is it a mental illness and/or missing a DNA strand for compassion?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #36
Thomkal
Head Coach

More parents of the year nomination:

404 - StoryLine

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-15-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #37
bhlloy
Coordinator

Never mind the death penalty, just put both of them in genpop for 24 hours and let nature take it's course. That was really, really hard to read. Again, what the fuck is wrong with people.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I feel sorry for the kids and also for the abusive parents. Hard to believe that the parents were not mentally ill or unbalanced. Nevertheless, get them out of the gene pool for rest of their lives.

Can the kids put this behind them and have normal lives? I wish them the best.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ildren-n996326
Quote:
David and Louise Turpin, the California parents who beat, starved and held 12 of their children captive inside their home, were sentenced Friday to life in prison.

The husband and wife pleaded guilty in February to 14 counts each of torture, dependent adult abuse, child endangerment and false imprisonment.

During their sentencing, both cried and wiped away tears as some of their children addressed the courtroom. The judge ruled the couple will be eligible for parole after 25 years.

"My parents took my whole life from me, now I’m taking my life back," one of the couple's daughters said. “Life may have been bad, but it made me strong. I saw my dad change my mom, they almost changed me. I’m a fighter, I’m strong.”

Disturbing details of the abuse came to light in January 2018 after one of the daughters, who was 17 at the time, escaped their home in Perris, California, and used a cellphone taken from the house to call 911. The girl, who officers initially thought was a child because she was so emaciated, told police that her brothers and sisters were being held by her parents and some of them were chained, investigators said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-20-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #39
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Watching the replay of the Diane Sawyer special on the Turpin family today. Can't help but tear up and get so angry.

Mother Louise was abused herself (her mother apparently let a pedo abuse sister & her). Haven't been able to find much info on father David other than he seemed to have normal childhood.

I'll give a break to the mother and try to rehabilitate her. The dad, I can pull the trigger myself.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is it bad that I saw this thread title and was like "Oh crap, what happened with Thomkal's Thanksgiving family get together last night" (not realizing the thread was 3 years old)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-20-2021 at 10:16 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Is it bad that I saw this thread title and was like "Oh crap, what happened at with Thomkal's Thanksgiving family get together last night" (not realizing the thread was 3 years old)

SI

Haha SI, I think we all agreed to not talk about politics, elections etc that so riled us up, so if that does happen, all bets are off!
Old 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM   #42
Thomkal
Head Coach

haven't needed to update this one in a while, but adoptive parents torturing and abusing their children qualifies. And it took 10 years for authorities to step in which may be a double case of inhumanity:

chevron-right
Old 02-25-2024, 04:24 PM   #43
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly there are these stories that make the news than those of people who do a good thing.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:34 AM   #44
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
haven't needed to update this one in a while, but adoptive parents torturing and abusing their children qualifies. And it took 10 years for authorities to step in which may be a double case of inhumanity:

chevron-right

Is this in some sort of child abuse manual? It seems like making the kids runs around the house for miles/hours pops up often in cases like this.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:51 AM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Is this in some sort of child abuse manual? It seems like making the kids runs around the house for miles/hours pops up often in cases like this.

Well we need to burn the manual if it is. You would think the kids running around the house all day would bring attention to them which I would think is the last things abusers would want.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:33 PM   #46
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Well we need to burn the manual if it is. You would think the kids running around the house all day would bring attention to them which I would think is the last things abusers would want.

Stop encouraging strangers to infringe on their parental rights Thomkal! They are obviously taking the kids' cardiovascular health very seriously.

I went back and looked. I saw a couple of other examples including this one.

Jessica Hardin pleads guilty in Savannah Hardin case - al.com