Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #6951
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Glass - 9/10

Antmeister and I watched Unbreakable and Split in the past 3 days in anticipation for this movie.

Okay m night shyamalan, you redeemed yourself. Great storytelling, and I was genuinely terrified of The Beast.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #6952
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Bumblebee - 7.5/10

Although the focus is obviously on a single Transformer here, in a lot of ways this is the Transformer movie people have been waiting for. It's set in the 80s and does a good job of balancing the feel of the 80s action/comedies (so kind of cheesy sometimes) while staying up to date.

This is a prequel, so you get some backstory (why bumblebee can't talk/why he was a camero in the other movies, ect) and a reintroduction to some characters. The Transformer designs and voices are almost straight out of the original cartoon and you see a few acknowledgements of the original Transformers movie (circa '86).

The best of the Transformer movies to date and I wouldn't mind them rebooting the series with this style and approach to story telling.

I loved this movie. I'm a child of the 80s and of Transformers, love the '86 animated movie, but have never watched even one of the modern Transformers moves just because they didn't look like the thing that was a part of my life in the 80s.....I figured that was all Michael Bay explosion stuff and it wasn't for me. This though, was for me. So much fun.

I'm kind of tempted to break into the Bayformers movies now but everyone tells me this is a bad idea. Apparently though there's a whole world of comics exploring the origins of the war on Cybertron and I may delve into that. After we came back from the movie, I told my girlfriend, "I need to do some research", she understood, and I was unavailable for an hour or two.

Last edited by molson : 02-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #6953
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I loved this movie. I'm a child of the 80s and of Transformers, love the '86 animated movie, but have never watched even one of the modern Transformers moves just because they didn't look like the thing that was a part of my life in the 80s.....I figured that was all Michael Bay explosion stuff and it wasn't for me. This though, was for me. So much fun.

I'm kind of tempted to break into the Bayformers movies now but everyone tells me this is a bad idea. Apparently though there's a whole world of comics exploring the origins of the war on Cybertron and I may delve into that. After we came back from the movie, I told my girlfriend, "I need to do some research", she understood, and I was unavailable for an hour or two.

Wife and I are same as you and we loved it. Just a fun movie. I thought the Bay ones were fine as long as you aren't one of those wankers who takes movies too seriously.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #6954
Edward64
Head Coach

Hunter Killer - 7/10

Not being a Marvel movie, the plot was way too fantastical but still enjoyed it for what it was - an action movie with some tense scenes and beautiful shots.

Of course, because the sub was called USS Arkansas, have to support the movie and it brought back the Crimson Tide scene of "go Bama". Wished there was a similar scene.

Yeah, will have to buy the blu-ray when it goes on sale.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #6955
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Amy-6.5/10

Amy Winehouse isn't someone I knew much about . May be the song Rehab...and that she was an addict. There seemed to be a bit of watching her go down the drug rabbit hole, while getting to be bigger and bigger.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #6956
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Martian - 9/10

Got the 4K version for Christmas and re-watched it tonight in all its glory.

Really enjoy Matt Damon (when is the next Bourne film?) and the the special effects were phenomenal. I do wish Ridley Scott allowed another 10 min or so for post pick-up and to show the crew/world celebrating the success and his re-integration.

Re-watched it again today. The movie has stood the test of time (okay, so its only been one year). My initial score stands. Top 10 for me.

Its great to see how the US and China could work well together in the alternate reality.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #6957
Edward64
Head Coach

Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10

Didn't get good reviews but got the blu-ray and watched it tonight with the family. It was a good movie. Painful to watch with the 70's and 80's hairdo's but thought it was well acted and story (I didn't know Freddie's story other than Queen singer who later got AIDS).
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #6958
Atocep
Coordinator

Creed 2 - 8/10

More of the same, rather predictable, and doesn't really do anything to change things up. And I really liked it. I'm a sucker for the Rocky movies and Stallone's work on the 3 latest movies is outstanding. It has some weak points (Wood Harris' acting, predictable plot), but seeing Dolph return as Drago and even briefly seeing Brigitte Nielsen really pulled the story together. Hopefully we get to see more movies in the Rocky universe.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #6959
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Bohemian Rhapsody - 8/10

Didn't get good reviews but got the blu-ray and watched it tonight with the family. It was a good movie. Painful to watch with the 70's and 80's hairdo's but thought it was well acted and story (I didn't know Freddie's story other than Queen singer who later got AIDS).

Good to see it won the most Oscars.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #6960
molson
General Manager

The Academy Award-nominated Short Documentary program was pretty intense. Worth seeing if its playing in your area.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #6961
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I liked Green Book more than I expected to, but it was still a pretty generic road trip movie that just happened to have a great performance in it. The only nominated movie I thought was worse was Bohemian Rhapsody, which similarly is overrated due to a single great performance.

If Beale Street Could Talk was a much better movie, made with much more artistic skill, but it actually confronted racism in ways that were uncomfortable for white people, whereas Green Book was safe and comfortable.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #6962
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Saw the third How To Train Your Dragon over the weekend. Just like the first 2 it was fantastic and the animation was absolutely incredible. Easily up there as one of my favorite kids movie series.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #6963
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

LORDS OF CHAOS - 7/10 - This is a fairly engrossing dramatization of the events described in the book of the same name, so those who are into "True Norwegian Black Metal" or anything similar to that scene might find it fascinating. Gorehounds would probably enjoy the several extremely brutal and graphic scenes of violence depicted, I couldn't even watch them for the most part. It might not be wholly factual, but I think it did a good job of conveying the reality that these kids from Mayhem were just teenagers that got involved with other teenagers who took the whole scene way too far. Brutal film, worth a watch for the niche audience that enjoyed the book.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 02-25-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #6964
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Saw the third How To Train Your Dragon over the weekend. Just like the first 2 it was fantastic and the animation was absolutely incredible. Easily up there as one of my favorite kids movie series.

Have you seen the TV series? Those are just as good. High quality production with engaging story arcs.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #6965
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Have you seen the TV series? Those are just as good. High quality production with engaging story arcs.

Not yet but we plan on watching with he kids.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #6966
Groundhog
Coordinator

These new on-topic spam bots are disturbing.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #6967
PilotMan
Head Coach

Totally, I mentioned it earlier this week. I could see them killing the forum. But they are going to get harder and harder to spot or at least admit that they are fakes.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #6968
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
These new on-topic spam bots are disturbing.

This one is pretty awesome. It is like someone made a JBMagicbot.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #6969
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Arctic-- 9/10

Putting aside that there isn't much new here (everything you might fear could happen in a movie set in the Arctic does), it's quite well done. Some great work from Mads Mikkelsen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #6970
tarcone
Coordinator

Final Destination 1, 2, 3 -- 8/10

These are really good movies. Twists and thrills. I guess it is considered a horror movie. But I wouldnt consider them Horror. There is a lot of blood and guts, at least when the deed happens.

Fun movie.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 AM   #6971
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't usually mess with Horror Movies but "Us" looks scary as f.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #6972
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Death Wish 7.5

I got what I expected out the of movie. Bruce Willis punishes the bad guys and there's a little moral argument thrown in for good measure. Just don't expect too much out of it.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #6973
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fighting with My Family 8.5/10

A really excellent movie, well done with a great mix of drama and humor. if not a bit predictable. I am far from a wrestling fan and I loved it. I have no idea if the story strays a lot from the real story. The acting was great. Just a really enjoyable movie.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #6974
spleen1015
Coordinator

Captain Marvel 8/10

Spoiler free opinion

Marvel movies have replaced Stars Wars for me. Can't get enough. They did a good job tying this to the rest of the MCU. Looking forward to seeing it a few more times. Can't wait for Endgame & Spiderman.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #6975
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Captain Marvel 8/10

Spoiler free opinion

Marvel movies have replaced Stars Wars for me. Can't get enough. They did a good job tying this to the rest of the MCU. Looking forward to seeing it a few more times. Can't wait for Endgame & Spiderman.

I'd give it same rating and echo the comments. And, as an unapologetic cat lover, while I can't claim this is the BEST of the MCU films, I think it has already become my new, sentimental favorite.

Honestly, this felt like a bit of a throwback to the newness of the MCU, when we hadn't already seen superhero movies done 20 times. Not on the same level as the first Guardians movie, but with some of the same freshness. Probably most comparable to the first Captain America films.

This one didn't take itself quite so seriously as the recent, giant Avengers films, and yet, tried harder to make a good movie instead of just one with bigger and better explosions. Whereas I began to grow weary with Marvel after Civil War and Thanos, "Captain Marvel" has renewed my enthusiasm for the franchise.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #6976
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Captain Marvel 8/10

Spoiler free opinion

Agreed!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #6977
PilotMan
Head Coach

BlacKKKlasman 9/10

Typical Spike. Parts that are a little slow from time to time, but some incredibility powerful imagery and story telling. Top notch all the way around. Might be one of the most timely movies for our present day. It's not hard to see the subtle jabs throughout the movie where he takes the current language, tone, and rhetoric used by trump and his supporters to tie them together. It finishes on one hell of an emotional low. You can't watch it and not be moved.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-15-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #6978
Edward64
Head Coach

Aquaman - 7/10

I heard it was good but TBH, it was just okay. The special effects & scenery were fantastic, the acting and storyline was okay. Some of the humor seemed off.

Not sure what it was but couldn't quite get into it (just like Solo) ... maybe it was too corny?
Old 03-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #6979
Edward64
Head Coach

Robinhood - 6/10

It was nice to see a modernization of the old story, a different angle. Appreciate the effort but it didn't work for me.

I think it would have worked better if the whole gang was more developed and cohesive. It was just Robin and "John" and the Sheriff (who by the way had far more soldiers than a sheriff would have warranted).

As I was watching the movie it occurred to me how negatively the church was portrayed in the movie and the analogy to today's headlines. Then I wondered, is there any other major religion out there where there would not have been major repercussions if that religion were portrayed as negatively?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #6980
Edward64
Head Coach

Star is Born - 8/10

Great movie. I thought Bradley's acting was better than Lady Gaga. First half was much better than second.

I thought the soundtrack was surprisingly weak (but it could well be me, probably is).
Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #6981
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pet Semetary (2019) - 6/10

I had pretty good hopes for it, as it's part of the current retro trend right now (the movie included a preview for a Child's Play). You knew enough of the story, but it runs slow early on like the old one does, and it feeds you enough good stuff along the way to keep you going. It's got a few parts where it twists, and just like the old one, the last 30 minutes is strong and it ended by putting a smile on my face. All in all, it was good enough and worthwhile.

Like Steam?

Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #6982
molson
General Manager

Hotel Mumbai: 8.5/10

Continuing my trend of rating every movie 8.5 out of 10 - this was perhaps the realest, harshest, most intense portrayal of terrorism I've seen depicted on film. Some have called it exploitative, and I understand that. But I found it very moving. Staff from the besieged Taj Hotel in Mumbai willingly stay behind to save the lives of guests targeted in a terrorist attack. Even though some of the guests have their own prejudices and discomfort with things like Indian staff wearing turbans.

The film is incredibly violent. Second most violent true-story movie I can remember seeing after Anthropoid. I've recently taken up shooting as a hobby, and some people in the group have the infamous AR-15s, and other firearms capable of mass destruction. I've become very familiar with the unique sound those types of weapons make. When I heard those sounds in this movie, it was intense....It's just a raw portrayal of the horrors of terrorism...

Overlord: 8.5/10

I was kind of surprised nobody made this movie yet. We know the Nazis engaged in horrific experimentations on the human body.....but what if those experiments resulted in horror-movie caliber monsters? That's this movie. It's fun.

Last edited by molson : 04-05-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #6983
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Highwaymen (Netflix): 8/10

Costner and Harrelson completely own this movie. Costner especially was on form in a taught movie with one of the best soundtracks of the year. A different take on Bonnie and Clyde than I've seen in previous works, this one is well worth the effort.

Like Steam?

Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #6984
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Star is Born - 8/10

Great movie. I thought Bradley's acting was better than Lady Gaga. First half was much better than second.

I thought the soundtrack was surprisingly weak (but it could well be me, probably is).

Holy crap. Okay, after a second viewing and watching some yt videos, I'll bump it up to 8.5.

Lady Gaga - Shallow (Live) WITH BRADLEY COOPER - Full Video - Enigma Vegas Residency - YouTube

(Seems like real chemistry to me)

EDIT: Andrew Dice Clay was Ally's dad. Never would have noticed.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #6985
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Creed 2 - 8/10

More of the same, rather predictable, and doesn't really do anything to change things up. And I really liked it. I'm a sucker for the Rocky movies and Stallone's work on the 3 latest movies is outstanding. It has some weak points (Wood Harris' acting, predictable plot), but seeing Dolph return as Drago and even briefly seeing Brigitte Nielsen really pulled the story together. Hopefully we get to see more movies in the Rocky universe.

Creed 2 - 7/10

The movie was okay and like you say, seeing Dolph and Brigitte was pretty cool (but I thought it would have been better seeing both of them together). It would have been really cool if they found a way to bring back Carl Weathers for some sort of cameo also.

I watched the deleted scenes, there was one where Creed talked to Drago Jrr after the final fight and where Rocky and Drago acknowledged each other. I wish this was part of the main movie and would have brought more closure.

Don't think I would watch a Creed series without Stallone in it. So yeah, I would like to see Stallone do a couple more.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #6986
Edward64
Head Coach

BTW - Just discovered Redbox and it's a pretty good deal assuming you are close to one and can return the next day.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #6987
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Creed 2 - 7/10

The movie was okay and like you say, seeing Dolph and Brigitte was pretty cool (but I thought it would have been better seeing both of them together). It would have been really cool if they found a way to bring back Carl Weathers for some sort of cameo also.

I watched the deleted scenes, there was one where Creed talked to Drago Jrr after the final fight and where Rocky and Drago acknowledged each other. I wish this was part of the main movie and would have brought more closure.

Don't think I would watch a Creed series without Stallone in it. So yeah, I would like to see Stallone do a couple more.

I would think that would be narratively difficult, n'est-ce pas?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #6988
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Whoah, whoah, whoah, there's still plenty of life left in that plot....you take that to a studio add some ghost of Mickey, a little Yoda, baby you got a movie going!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-07-2019 at 01:18 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:16 AM   #6989
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Creed 3: Creed vs Zombie Apollo

So much potential here...

Creed: "I must literally defeat my father to get out of his shadow."
Zombie Adrian: "You can't win!!"

Zombie Apollo's new walk-in performance will be a re-enactment of Frankenstein's Putting On The Ritz from Young Frankenstein

Creed to Ref: "Hey you gonna dock him a point? He keeps trying to bite me in the clinch."

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-07-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #6990
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Whoah, whoah, whoah, there's still plenty of life left in that plot....you take that to a studio add some ghost of Mickey, a little Yoda, baby you got a movie going!

Nah. Maybe a dream sequence by Rocky or Adonis. Toss in Adrian also, maybe somewhere with the pearly gates.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #6991
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watched Vice last night.

TBH I thought it was a bit of a mess. All over the place and couldn't tell what kind of story it was trying to tell.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #6992
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would think that would be narratively difficult, n'est-ce pas?

It would be his long-long twin brother Raul Creed.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #6993
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Train To Busan - 9/10

This movie has been in my Netflix que for ages. I had heard good things about and finally got around to watching it the other day. It is amazing. I have seen a ton of zombie movies in my day and I would consider this Top Five material. It's a Korean zombie movie about a guy and his daughter who are on a train (to Busan) to get his daughter to his ex-wife. A pretty simple set up, but the movie fantastic. It's set up nicely. There are a number of good characters who you care about. The zombies are intense and terrifying and there are a number of really strong, tense scenes.

If you like zombie movies at all, this is a must see.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #6994
Groundhog
Coordinator

Train to Busan has been on my "to watch" list forever. Really need to get around to it.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #6995
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Avengers: End Game

9/10.

Loved it from start to finish. Just a great movie.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #6996
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
BTW - Just discovered Redbox and it's a pretty good deal assuming you are close to one and can return the next day.

2019 ?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #6997
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

9/10.

I can't wait for Friday night.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #6998
molson
General Manager

Avengers is going to get close to $300 million domestic and $1 billion worldwide - opening weekend. The only thing that will hurt it a bit is being a full 3 hours long, which limits how many screenings it has at some theaters.

I've only seen 5 or 6 of the Marvel movies and Infinity War was the first one I really loved - once I finally got around to it at a second-run theater. So this will be the first one I see relatively early. I won't do my Star Wars tradition of first showing Friday morning, but, maybe I'll sneak out Monday during the day.

The insane thing is that it sill might not beat Avatar's $2.7 million global box office. A movie which had minimal cultural impact and which nobody really talks about anymore. End Game will shatter Avatar's domestic and worldwide opening weekend by at least 3X, but even 10 years ago movies had longer legs because streaming wasn't quite as ubiquitous around the world, especially in some of the emerging markets that are starting to pay higher ticket prices in huge numbers for movies like this.

Last edited by molson : 04-24-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #6999
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

9/10.

Were you a part of this?

[INT] Fans rushing to the cinemas to be first in line for the opening day of Endgame here in the Philippines.

Last edited by molson : 04-24-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #7000
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Oh jeez no.

I bought my tickets online three weeks ago for the 6AM showing.

6AM Manila April 24th is 6PM Eastern April 23.