I really doubt bigfoot exists but heck, anything could happen 91 49.46%
Are you completely insane? No way bigfoot exists. 50 27.17%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #101
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Anyone see the show Bigfootville last night? Not sure what channel it was on - one of those specialty channels on DirecTV between 260 and 285. It was somewhat interesting. It focused on an area in SE Oklahoma (Ada was one of the towns). I couldn't tell how much of a true "documentary"-type show it was supposed to be, since they went out searching the woods/river basins and the show ended up taking on a Most Haunted quality, with people giving night vision testimonials, Blair Witch style, about hearing grunts, seeing movements, and having rocks thrown at them, none of which was visible or audible on the tape. Still, it was decent viewing for a Friday night with absolutely nothing else on.

Southeast Oklahoma? That was just Dennis Rodman's ghost throwing rocks at the cameraman.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #102
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm suspicious of those shows ever since the "Mysterious Encounters" show that was on the Outdoor Life Network. I know one of the guys who was on that show. They staged things -- little stupid things, like the "what was that?" moments. Their whole idea was to make a "Blair Witch, with Bigfoot".

There are rarely any shows on tv that do the subject justice. The best one was created with the help of the BFRO -- Legend Meets Science.

But I should say I don't know anything about Bigfootville. It just got on my nerves when they were saying "See that right there? " but the camera never shows that location. As if the cameraman wouldn't turn his video up to try to catch it..

Here's a new possible bigfoot video, btw. If the links are still up.

Page put up by the witness/videographer: http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/marknelson/

Stabilized version of the figure in the video: http://www.texasbigfoot.com/CAvidrn5.wmv
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #103
Airhog
Captain Obvious

that video you link to shows nothing btw. goto the page and check out his video. It actually shows something...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 11-26-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #104
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
I'm suspicious of those shows ever since the "Mysterious Encounters" show that was on the Outdoor Life Network. I know one of the guys who was on that show. They staged things -- little stupid things, like the "what was that?" moments. Their whole idea was to make a "Blair Witch, with Bigfoot".

There are rarely any shows on tv that do the subject justice. The best one was created with the help of the BFRO -- Legend Meets Science.

But I should say I don't know anything about Bigfootville. It just got on my nerves when they were saying "See that right there? " but the camera never shows that location. As if the cameraman wouldn't turn his video up to try to catch it..

Yeah, same here. The Blair Witch moments and the impossibly slow cameraman made me think it was all a bunch of shit. Which it probably was. Still, for what it was, it was somewhat entertaining. I mean, when the highlight of your night is the Florida Panthers ending a 47 game losing streak, Bigfoot seems pretty fucking cool by comparison.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #105
QuikSand
lolzcat

Had another interesting look through this thread.

I'm still "staying tuned" awaiting the bombshell evidence or publication that the thread-starter intimated was just around the corner. Any updates out there?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #106
QuikSand
lolzcat

weekday bump
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #107
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

QS is hawt when he's trying to say I told you so
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #108
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
QS is hawt when he's trying to say I told you so
I wonder if QS puts reminders in his calendar a few months in advance along the lines of 'April 23, 2006 - make Sidhe eat his words'
Old 04-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #109
sabotai
General Manager

James Randi posted this on his website awhile back. It's an animated GIF someone made that essentially eliminates the shaking of the Patterson film, so you can really see how "Bigfoot" was walking.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/files/mk_davis_pgf.gif

Last edited by sabotai : 04-24-2006 at 02:19 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #110
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
I wonder if QS puts reminders in his calendar a few months in advance along the lines of 'April 23, 2006 - make Sidhe eat his words'

Quiksand doesn't use calendars - he can figure out the date in an instant just by glancing at the angle of the sun.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #111
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

That's a cool video.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #112
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Quiksand doesn't use calendars - he can figure out the date in an instant just by glancing at the angle of the sun.

Quiksand once stumped Chuck Norris. Chuck asked if he would like to change his name to Kicksand. Quiksand never tried to stump Chuck again.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

:drumming fingers:
Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #114
st.cronin
General Manager

lol

This is a GREAT day for the fofc.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #115
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
James Randi posted this on his website awhile back. It's an animated GIF someone made that essentially eliminates the shaking of the Patterson film, so you can really see how "Bigfoot" was walking.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/files/mk_davis_pgf.gif

This is fascinating. From this video one is able to confirm that the Bigfoot walks exactly like a human being wearing a bigfoot suit! What a breakthrough!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #116
Conflaguration
n00b

Quote:
As for myself, yes it has!

Hmmmm...

Are you aware your name is a fairy in Irish Folklore? On second thoughts, of course you are. Don't happen to be a Cryptozooologist, do you?
Conflaguration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #117
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
:drumming fingers:

For their show Bullshit, Penn & Teller created a fake Bigfoot video and released it on the internet (saying that it was real, of course). They got tons of replies, several from people who were "serious Bigfoot investigators". I'm wondering if P&T's hoax video (they would have had to have done it several months in advance for the episode, since they showed it to some of the experts on the show as well) was the breakthrough he was talking about. When I saw the episode, it reminded me of this thread.

And, of course, the people who actually knew what they were talking about ripped the video apart, practically laughing at their attempt at trying to make a believable video..
Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #118
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Here's a new possible bigfoot video, btw. If the links are still up.

Page put up by the witness/videographer: http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/marknelson/

Stabilized version of the figure in the video: http://www.texasbigfoot.com/CAvidrn5.wmv

Holy crap, I didn't see this post before. This is Penn & Teller's hoax!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:30 AM   #119
WVUFAN
College Starter

I dunno why, but everytime someone brings up Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, I always think of the Roswell Crash. I kinda lump them all in the same sorta grouping.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #120
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
For their show Bullshit, Penn & Teller created a fake Bigfoot video and released it on the internet (saying that it was real, of course). They got tons of replies, several from people who were "serious Bigfoot investigators". I'm wondering if P&T's hoax video (they would have had to have done it several months in advance for the episode, since they showed it to some of the experts on the show as well) was the breakthrough he was talking about. When I saw the episode, it reminded me of this thread.

And, of course, the people who actually knew what they were talking about ripped the video apart, practically laughing at their attempt at trying to make a believable video..

I agree that it's wise to separate the two groups of "serious Bigfoot investigators" and "the people who actually knew what they were talking about." I saw the episode too, and found it quite comical (more so than many).
Old 08-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #121
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Way before that episode was even announced, not a few folks came out and said they didn't believe the video was legit. John Frietas actually interviewed the "witness" by phone and tried to find the location -- the witness, obviously, wasn't telling the truth when he talked to Frietas, and that's what Frietas said in his unofficial report. It was posted on Rense.com within a month or two of the video getting out.

The "serious Bigfoot investigators" Penn and Teller mentoined are well known folks. How they kept their names out of the show is beyond me. Well, actually I'm pretty sure they both threatened to sue. In any event, they are not at all serious about looking for bigfoot, they are showmen. They got less than they deserved.

I made my own statement about that video well before the Penn and Teller episode came out, as reflected in the following quoted post from December 2005, which also names Frietas, a police detective, and Kathy Moskowitz, an archaeologist, both fairly well known bigfoot experts, neither of whom were consulted for the Penn and Teller episode.

Quote:
December 10th, 2005 09:26 AM

The word from John Frietas, who has been investigating the Sonoma video, is that the witness is cagey and unreliable. Of course, John Frietas might elicit that response from any number of otherwise reliable people, I don't know.. Kathy Moskowitz thought the same though when she tried to get some information from the witness.

Frietas says that he has found the location of the filming, that it is only about 100 yards from a road, and that because of this the filmer would have some explaining to do. The witness had not told Frietas where to find the location. Frietas says he will give more details tomorrow. Why we have to wait, I don't know. Maybe he's got pictures.

If the witness wasn't careful about the location details, isn't really cooperative with investigators, that usually means hoax. Remember the Manitoba video -- that guy wanted some money too, but he let his family take people right to the filming site to look for evidence. He understood that could increase the value of his film.

Altogether, facts are pointing toward "hoax".

Just a little more than a week ago, the police chief for the Pine Ridge Reservation confirmed that officers had seen a bigfoot on the reservation. You won't hear about that in the news, but here's a link if you are interested:

hxxp://www.cryptomundo.com/breaking-news/chiefconfprbf/

There are multiple and confusing stories coming from the area -- some folks are convinced they are seeing a very large man with a stove-pipe hat. I know that you read that and you say, "That's it, I'm outta here." But you don't really know what those folks are seeing.

As I say, the police chief confirmed that his men had seen something very strange, and had even gotten a view of it on their thermal imager. (That's the hot item in bigfoot research now. People who have them are starting to get good stuff.)

Just today another local wrote in to Loren Coleman saying that the chief hadn't really said all there was to say.

Quote:
Okay, some things are not being said. I’m from this reservation, and, really, you couldn’t go 5 minutes without the topic coming up during that week. I heard from an OST officer, who is a good friend to both my father and my uncle, that a few units were able to corner a Bigfoot like creature in Pine Ridge. His description of it was much different from that in the statement. He said it was extremely tall (between 12 and 15 feet), had hair covering its entire body, with the exception of its face which was black, and red eyes. He also said it smelled horrible…like a sewer.

hxxp://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo...tovepipehatbf/

Nobody I know is actively involved in that one, and most people who actually go out to look don't care a whole lot for Loren Coleman and his sensationalizing -- but this is the kind of thing we get all the time. Someone sees something, often this is a very credible witness. Police investigate and they often have a confirming sighting. But you won't hear about it. Official policy in most places is to deny it. Just this week one of my associates in Ohio found that the local police near a sighting had been "told to keep their mouths shut." Back in 2002 there was a sighting at a mall development in Maryland by an officer, who made a report but then later said that he could not talk about it anymore. In a West Virginia natural park, a few of us spoke with the rangers. We asked them whether they had ever heard of any bigfoot. Their answer was, "On the record? No comment." I can't tell you what they said off the record, unfortunately, but they did have something to say.

There are crazy people out there who just want attention, or they imagine things and let it get out of hand, but trust me -- that's not very hard to spot.

Then there are those people who tell credible stories, with multiple witnesses, and even physical trace evidence, like footprints or hair.

I know you'll come back with, "Well that was ox hair" (from a recent well known media report). But the thing is, right now the media is all about the "debunking" because they think that's what the public is in the mood to hear. Twenty or thirty years ago, it was more open to something like this. But we've gotten hairs, footprints, videos -- the Patterson Gimlin film still has not been convincingly debunked or duplicated after 40 years. We get all kinds of tantalizing evidence. You just aren't hearing about it now. When the pendulum swings back around, maybe you'll hear about it in the news.

What you may not know is that all of our local newspapers, going back into the 18th century, have many references to "wildmen" or "hairy giants". This is not some new thing that came up in 1958 with Jerry Crew or 1967 with Roger Patterson.

Well I could go on, but I just wanted to put some of this out there. I recognize that it isn't sufficient to sway a hardcore skeptic -- after all, even police officers (and their chief) can be mistaken. Certainly all of us silly bigfoot investigators can be. But what keeps drawing me back are the stories witnesses tell me. I don't know if I mentioned it already in this thread, but more than once I've had tough guys, seasoned hunters, two recent Iraq veterans in the last two years actually, say, in their own words, "I have seen a lot of stuff go down, but I am not going back out into those woods."

Perhaps it's mostly mythical, but a myth does not leave a footprint in your backyard. Or does it? If I had to lay money on it, right now that's where my bet would be -- I don't think we know as much about our physical reality as we think we do.

Last edited by Sidhe : 08-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Wait...didn't read the entire thread...but there is supposedly more than one Bigfoot? I thought that fucker was a one-of-a-kind beast.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 AM   #123
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Way before that episode was even announced, not a few folks came out and said they didn't believe the video was legit. John Frietas actually interviewed the "witness" by phone and tried to find the location -- the witness, obviously, wasn't telling the truth when he talked to Frietas, and that's what Frietas said in his unofficial report. It was posted on Rense.com within a month or two of the video getting out.

The "serious Bigfoot investigators" Penn and Teller mentoined are well known folks. How they kept their names out of the show is beyond me. Well, actually I'm pretty sure they both threatened to sue. In any event, they are not at all serious about looking for bigfoot, they are showmen. They got less than they deserved.

I made my own statement about that video well before the Penn and Teller episode came out, as reflected in the following quoted post from December 2005, which also names Frietas, a police detective, and Kathy Moskowitz, an archaeologist, both fairly well known bigfoot experts, neither of whom were consulted for the Penn and Teller episode.

Just a little more than a week ago, the police chief for the Pine Ridge Reservation confirmed that officers had seen a bigfoot on the reservation. You won't hear about that in the news, but here's a link if you are interested:

hxxp://www.cryptomundo.com/breaking-news/chiefconfprbf/

There are multiple and confusing stories coming from the area -- some folks are convinced they are seeing a very large man with a stove-pipe hat. I know that you read that and you say, "That's it, I'm outta here." But you don't really know what those folks are seeing.

As I say, the police chief confirmed that his men had seen something very strange, and had even gotten a view of it on their thermal imager. (That's the hot item in bigfoot research now. People who have them are starting to get good stuff.)

Just today another local wrote in to Loren Coleman saying that the chief hadn't really said all there was to say.

Nobody I know is actively involved in that one, and most people who actually go out to look don't care a whole lot for Loren Coleman and his sensationalizing -- but this is the kind of thing we get all the time. Someone sees something, often this is a very credible witness. Police investigate and they often have a confirming sighting. But you won't hear about it. Official policy in most places is to deny it. Just this week one of my associates in Ohio found that the local police near a sighting had been "told to keep their mouths shut." Back in 2002 there was a sighting at a mall development in Maryland by an officer, who made a report but then later said that he could not talk about it anymore. In a West Virginia natural park, a few of us spoke with the rangers. We asked them whether they had ever heard of any bigfoot. Their answer was, "On the record? No comment." I can't tell you what they said off the record, unfortunately, but they did have something to say.

There are crazy people out there who just want attention, or they imagine things and let it get out of hand, but trust me -- that's not very hard to spot.

Then there are those people who tell credible stories, with multiple witnesses, and even physical trace evidence, like footprints or hair.

I know you'll come back with, "Well that was ox hair" (from a recent well known media report). But the thing is, right now the media is all about the "debunking" because they think that's what the public is in the mood to hear. Twenty or thirty years ago, it was more open to something like this. But we've gotten hairs, footprints, videos -- the Patterson Gimlin film still has not been convincingly debunked or duplicated after 40 years. We get all kinds of tantalizing evidence. You just aren't hearing about it now. When the pendulum swings back around, maybe you'll hear about it in the news.

What you may not know is that all of our local newspapers, going back into the 18th century, have many references to "wildmen" or "hairy giants". This is not some new thing that came up in 1958 with Jerry Crew or 1967 with Roger Patterson.

Well I could go on, but I just wanted to put some of this out there. I recognize that it isn't sufficient to sway a hardcore skeptic -- after all, even police officers (and their chief) can be mistaken. Certainly all of us silly bigfoot investigators can be. But what keeps drawing me back are the stories witnesses tell me. I don't know if I mentioned it already in this thread, but more than once I've had tough guys, seasoned hunters, two recent Iraq veterans in the last two years actually, say, in their own words, "I have seen a lot of stuff go down, but I am not going back out into those woods."

So what side of the kill controversy do you follow?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #124
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sidhe, I do not doubt your sincerity on these matters, and applaud your continued participation in the discussion. The level of frustration in this thread has remained surprisingly low, I think.

Your comment above has me thinking...

Quote:
We get all kinds of tantalizing evidence. You just aren't hearing about it now.

Okay, I guess you are blaming the media, for whatever reason. But haven't we gotten past that at this point? In the internet age, everyone is empowered to share "tantalizing evidence" even if he isn't a mainstream media source, right?

So, why aren't we, the curious (even if skeptical) hearing about the tantalizing evidence? Is someone deliberately keeping it a secret? Is someone trying and failing to get Newsweek to do a feature piece on it?

As I have said before... I think there are quite a lot of people who are open to the notion that there really is something out there, and to being persuaded of its actual existence by just about any compelling piece of evidence. A body, great... but just about anything - hair, scat, bones, whatever - woudl probably fill the bill. Bring us something that isn't ox hair or human bones or the like, and this whole debate reaches an entirely new level. The persistent inability to do ever do any such thing is the huge (as in 13-foot high and hairy and smelly) weakness in the argument from the believers here.

You yourself have intimated that big evidence was soon forthcoming, the sort of stuff that would turn people around. Well...?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #125
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
We get all kinds of tantalizing evidence. You just aren't hearing about it now.

Any update on this front? Have any of these researchers with the "tantalizing evidence" done something like started a website, or launched a blog, or something like that... you know, so they could break the stranglehold of the skeptical media?

I'm really interested in (well, at least the logic of) all this compelling evidence we just don't get to hear about.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #126
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Mmmm, Yeti Burgers.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #127
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's a Yeti coverup!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #128
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think that it is not a coverup, but a diversion. They've been cloning Bigfoots (or is it Bigfeet) from the DNA recovered from the evidence. These are being trained as we speak to be used as Bush's secret plan for winning in Iraq.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #129
Butter
Coordinator

It's definitely "Bigfeet".
Old 10-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #130
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think the more interesting question is can someone be banned for posting only bigfoot threads and participating only in bigfoot discussion?
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/03/D8L5UOT00.html

- - -

Professor's Bigfoot Research Criticized
Nov 03 8:26 PM US/Eastern

By JESSE HARLAN ALDERMAN
Associated Press Writer

POCATELLO, Idaho

Jeffrey Meldrum holds a Ph.D. in anatomical sciences and is a tenured professor of anatomy at Idaho State University. He is also one of the world's foremost authorities on Bigfoot, the mythical smelly ape-man of the Northwest woods. And Meldrum firmly believes the lumbering, shaggy brute exists.

That makes him an outcast _ a solitary, Sasquatch-like figure himself _ on the 12,700-student campus, where many scientists are embarrassed by what they call Meldrum's "pseudo-academic" pursuits and have called on the university to review his work with an eye toward revoking his tenure. One physics professor, D.P. Wells, wonders whether Meldrum plans to research Santa Claus, too.

Meldrum, 48, spends most of his days in his laboratory in the Life Sciences Building, analyzing more than 200 jumbo plaster casts of what he contends are Bigfoot footprints.

For the past 10 years, he has added his scholarly sounding research to a field full of sham videos and supermarket tabloid exposes. And he is convinced he has produced a body of evidence that proves there is a Bigfoot.

"It used to be you went to a bookstore and asked for a book on Bigfoot and you'd be directed to the occult section, right between the Bermuda Triangle and UFOs," Meldrum said. "Now you can find some in the natural science section."

Martin Hackworth, a senior lecturer in the physics department, called Meldrum's research a "joke."

"Do I cringe when I see the Discovery Channel and I see Idaho State University, Jeff Meldrum? Yes, I do," Hackworth said. "He believes he's taken up the cause of people who have been shut out by the scientific community. He's lionized there. He's worshipped. He walks on water. It's embarrassing."

John Kijinski, dean of arts and sciences, said there have been "grumblings" about Meldrum's tenure, but no formal request for a review.

"He's a bona fide scientist," Kijinski said. "I think he helps this university. He provides a form of open discussion and dissenting viewpoints that may not be popular with the scientific community, but that's what academics all about."

On campus, Meldrum _ himself a hulking figure, with a mop of brown hair, a bristly silver mustache, and a black T-shirt with a silhouette of a hunchbacked, lurking Bigfoot _ gets funny looks and the silent treatment from other scientists, and is not invited to share coffee with the other science professors.

Over the summer, more than 30 professors signed a petition criticizing the university for hosting a Bigfoot symposium where Meldrum was the keynote speaker.

He pays for his research with a $30,000 donation from a Bigfoot believer.

Still, Meldrum has a distinguished supporter in Jane Goodall, the world-famous authority on African chimpanzees. Her blurb on the jacket of Meldrum's new book, "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science," lauds him for bringing "a much-needed level of scientific analysis" to the Bigfoot debate.

"As a scientist, she's very curious and she keeps an open mind," said Goodall spokeswoman Nona Gandelman. "She's fascinated by it."

Bigfoot is sort of the Loch Ness Monster of the Pacific Northwest. The legend dates back centuries. Indian folklore includes murmurs of a man-ape that roams the hidden hollows. Sasquatch is a Salish Indian word meaning woodland wildman.

Newspapers began recording sightings of Bigfoot in the backwoods during the 1920s. But skeptics have challenged the accounts, and practical jokers have staged elaborate hoaxes, including grainy film footage of someone in a monkey suit and phony footprints stamped into the ground with giant molded feet.

Meldrum said it was a decade ago in Walla Walla, Wash., that he first discovered flat 15-inch footprints in the woods. He said he thought initially that they were a hoax, but noticed locked joints and a narrow arch _ traits he came to believe could only belong to Bigfoot.

"That's what set the hook," Meldrum said. "I resolved at this point, this was a question I'd get to the bottom of."

When not in the lab, he loads his Chevy Suburban with tents and forensic gear and heads for the woods of Washington state and Northern California, where he has collected what he says are footprints, hair and feces from the ape-man. He tests hair samples and uses physics to produce charts that purport to show how Bigfoot would walk.

Meldrum wonders aloud how much longer he will be on the faculty. But he said he also dreams of one day bringing back a bone or a tooth or some skin, and silencing the "stuffy academics."

"Is the theory of exploration dead?" he asked. "I'm not out to proselytize that Bigfoot exists. I place legend under scrutiny and my conclusion is, absolutely, Bigfoot exists."

___
Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #132
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, my TiVo Season Pass picked up an episode of National Geographic's show "Is It Real?" on Bigfoot. Haven't watched it yet -- I don't expect any major revelations, but the topic (as usual) made me think of this thread, and the apparently still-pending breakthroughs that were sort of promised earlier on...
Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #133
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

People who are waiting for proof of bigfoot remind me of people who are waiting for proof of God. There's nothing wrong with blind faith, as long you're not someone who suffers through it.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #134
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nope, they haven't proved his existence Yeti.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #135
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, the Is It Real? episode didn't really shed any light into all this, but it did frame one question awfully nicely.

So, Sidhe and company find it too hard to believe that the various "evidence" that exists for this thing is just too widespread and compeling to ignore. That raises a pretty interesting question, to me.

Bigfoot sightings, footprints, and other reports come from all over the place. not just up in the Pacific Northwest. We have dozens of reports here in Maryland every year, and virtually every state has an ongoing stream of footprints and sightings and the like being reported. It seems that the "bigfoot" in one state is a violent, nasty guy... and the "bigfoot" in another state is a more mellow and peaceful type, but still, there are people all over the place claiming there are gigantic ape-like hairy men walking around in the woods.

And this also occurs across teh globe - every continnent has its own legends of giant ape men. We know the most obvious ones, but it seems this legend is nearly universal. So, there are apparently giant ape men similarly littering the globe - in Africa, Russia, Sumatra, Australia, South America, the Himalayas, the Andes, the deserts, and on and on and on. Okay.

All this just pushes the same point -- how many of these fuckers have to be out there, for there to maintain a population over decades and decades? The so-called experts say that it probably means hundreds just in the Pacifid NW region... when you expand that across the whole of North America, then how many" Five thousand? Fifty thousand? Across all continents, and seemingly all different biomes? Maybe a hundred thousand of them? Maybe a million?

And all these thousand upon thousands creatures walking around... and *never* even over the course of decades and decades (or centuries, actually) do we see that even a single one of them ever just dies in some locatable spot, gets hit by a car, leaves behind a bone, drops a bit of analyzable scat, or even a hair sample -- not one bit of physical evidence of anything.

The likelihood of these two "truths" simultaneously occurring has to be just staggeringly unlikely, by just about any calculus. We're not actually talking about tiny little fish in the deep sea, or little birds that flit about in the dark of night -- we're talking about, almost literally, 800 pound gorillas. Ones that manage to never, ever, ever leave any practical trace of their existence.

Sorry to re-walk a beaten path... it just is such a compelling argument, it seems worth trying to crystallize.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-27-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #136
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe they believe in cremation.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #137
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I had Yeti for lunch yesterday. Tastes like chicken.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #138
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe they're prone to spontaneous combustion.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #139
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Chewbacca is going to be pissed
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #140
sabotai
General Manager

I smoked weed with Bigfoot once. Cool dude, but don't get him talking about politics.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-27-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #141
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

http://www.bofunk.com/video/4816/conspiracy_week.html
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #142
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ping: Sidhe!!11!

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070925
/sc_livescience/satellitesearchescouldspotbigfootlochnessmonster;_ylt=Ang_sZKqjO0yt.9ArxzXcA8E1vAI

Satellite Searches Could Spot Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster
Benjamin Radford
LiveScience's Bad Science Columnist
LiveScience.com
Tue Sep 25, 1:55 PM ET

Adventurer Steve Fossett went missing Sept. 3 about 70 miles southeast of Reno, Nevada, in a small plane. He left no flight plan, and searchers have combed tens of thousands of square miles of Nevada and California. After weeks of fruitless searches, and with the survival window closing, Web users were enlisted to help in Fossett's rescue, from the comfort of their own homes.

Using a program called Mechanical Turk, high-resolution satellite imagery of the search area was collected and analyzed. Participants were shown a single satellite image and asked to note any objects or wreckage that could be a plane or its debris.

The search did solve a few mysteries: several previously unknown small plane wrecks—some dating back to the 1950s—were found. Though Fossett and his plane remain missing, the satellite technology used to search for him could theoretically be applied to other types of searches. It may finally verify the existence of large, mysterious creatures reputed to inhabit the globe. Unknown animals such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster, for example, might be easily located and captured—if indeed they exist.

While satellites would be of limited use in heavily wooded areas, Bigfoot creatures have been reported in many places with relatively little forest, including Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Texas and Arizona. A single 12-foot Bigfoot may or may not be hard to spot, but a family of them would be easier to find. Furthermore, there cannot be only one Bigfoot; there must be a breeding population of them, by some estimates 6,000 to 10,000 in North America alone. Surely a coordinated, close search of satellite images would reveal dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of Bigfoot in remote areas at any given time.

The search could include bodies of water as well. Many lake monsters and sea serpents are reported to be 50 feet or longer, and surface regularly where they are seen. If armchair investigators are up to the task, they could monitor monster-inhabited lakes such as Scotland's Loch Ness, Canada's Lake Okanagan and America's Lake Champlain using Google Earth technology. Monster buffs don't need to dip their toes into cold lakes or brave the wilderness to search for their quarry; they can scan a dozen square miles over cup of hot coffee at their leisure.

Of course, if such searches are done and still reveal no solid proof of the monsters' existence, few minds will be changed. Diehard believers can always claim that all the monstrous beasts somehow hid undetected or are masters at camouflage. Or the searchers didn't look long enough or in the right places. It only takes one live or dead Bigfoot or lake monster to forever prove that they exist, but no amount of failed searches will ever prove they don't.

Benjamin Radford is LiveScience's Bad Science columnist. He is co-author of "Lake Monster Mysteries: Investigating the World's Most Elusive Creatures" (2006). This and other books are noted on his website.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-26-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #143
Bee
Pro Starter

Have you guys not seen the commercial with the Loch Ness Monster swallowing and then spitting out the pickup truck? What more evidence do you need? Geez!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #144
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Have you guys not seen the commercial with the Loch Ness Monster swallowing and then spitting out the pickup truck? What more evidence do you need? Geez!

Not only that, but Bigfoot has appeared in commercials for beer and beef jerky recently. The dude has a hollywood agent and people still think he doesn't exist!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #145
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Unknown animals such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster, for example, might be easily located and captured—if indeed they exist.

While satellites would be of limited use in heavily wooded areas, Bigfoot creatures have been reported in many places with relatively little forest, including Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Texas and Arizona. A single 12-foot Bigfoot may or may not be hard to spot, but a family of them would be easier to find. Furthermore, there cannot be only one Bigfoot; there must be a breeding population of them, by some estimates 6,000 to 10,000 in North America alone. Surely a coordinated, close search of satellite images would reveal dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of Bigfoot in remote areas at any given time.

I presume that the "scientists" who continue to argue the affirmative on this sort of thing would find some clever way of refuting results coming back from this kind of analysis, when they turn up no evidence for giant bipeds running around in any of the areas scanned. Oh, the terrain was all wrong for bigfoot... or they craftily scurried away when sensing the scanning equipment...or somesuch. They will continue to demand that skeptics prove a negative.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #146
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I presume that the "scientists" who continue to argue the affirmative on this sort of thing would find some clever way of refuting results coming back from this kind of analysis, when they turn up no evidence for giant bipeds running around in any of the areas scanned.

Bigfoot spends 99.9% of his time in caves or in the shadow of trees. This is a well known fact.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #147
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Bigfoot spends 99.9% of his time in caves or in the shadow of trees. This is a well known fact.

This is why terrorists can't operate in America. The bigfoots are clogging up all the tunneling systems. Bigfoots, fuck yeah!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #148
molson
General Manager

Every time this thread gets bumped and it isn't because a Bigfoot carcass has been discovered near a major interstate - I'm dissapointed.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #149
gkb
High School Varsity

I always get a little disappointed when this thread resurfaces as well. I'm kind of hopeful that one day we'll find bigfoot, communicate with aliens, and other stuff I find cool to think about (like Jessica Alba being totally into me)...
Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #150
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bigfoot is the shizzznit.

They love Corona.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-26-2007 at 06:29 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote