Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #201
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Still haven't been able to put much time into the game, but I've got a friend playing through a game on King in which he is in the modern era in the 1500s, about to push a space station while his army of hoplites holds down his borders. It sounds like a very specific set of circumstances that got him there (excellent geographic position, tunnelled science civics with Greece and the extra wildcard slot), but still seems odd to me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #202
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I don't know, but I recall reading somewhere that it might be. I'm playing a Prince game now and doing well, although the effin' Japanese are apostle-spamming me to no end. (I got a continent with just me and some city states. Japan is on the next next continent over.)
Looking into it briefly it appears that part of increased difficulty is still an insane head start given to the AI. But that's at deity - I hope King is reasonable, and I don't mind the AI getting some slight production bonuses. The bigger problem (and this tracks with my gameplay) does seem to be that the AI just has no idea how to attack cities or ranged units. They have basically attacked me Kung-Fu movie style, where I can target the head of their line turn after turn, instead of them using their numerical advantage to outflank me or sacrifice a unit or two to take my archers down or penetrate the city walls.

Re: City States I don't know if that's a tech issue or the AI just refusing to upgrade units. Even other Civs don't seem to upgrade their units much, though that might be tied in to them rarely having a big gold surplus.

The aggressive and powerful barbarians in the early and mid game are very nice. Having so many mounted units is a great part of that - in the past even with Raging Barbarians it seemed easy to hole up in your cities and then corner them when you had a couple units. At this point I feel forced to decide between exploring and avoiding getting an annoying amount of stuff pillaged. Improvements are easy enough to fix, but if a district gets pillaged...

Speaking of getting spammed with apostles, what's your read on religion? I've had a lot of fun with it in the early game, but once the boundaries are set it seems to turn into a tedious slog for me. Having Faith as an alternative currency to Gold for great people/units if you choose theocracy/some buildings with Jesuit Education is a nice incentive to still keep building Holy Sites, but with the micromanaging required by midgame I'm tempted to just skip the religion game entirely and focus on other things early on instead of focusing on getting a Great Prophet.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #203
bhlloy
Coordinator

Agreed that the combat AI is horrendous, which is a sad step back from last version which was at decent. I've had massively more powerful civ's declare war on me multiple times, had an "oh shit" moment and then watched as they moved their units nicely a few at a time into my borders so I can pick them apart.

Even the declarations of war seem random and ridiculous. I've had a one city civ declare wars of aggression on me when they've had spearmen and pikemen and I've had tanks and infantry. Thanks for the city guys.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #204
Edward64
Head Coach

I have bought it but really haven't played much. Sounds like I probably want to wait for first patch before spending too much time on it.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #205
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Looking into it briefly it appears that part of increased difficulty is still an insane head start given to the AI. But that's at deity - I hope King is reasonable, and I don't mind the AI getting some slight production bonuses. The bigger problem (and this tracks with my gameplay) does seem to be that the AI just has no idea how to attack cities or ranged units. They have basically attacked me Kung-Fu movie style, where I can target the head of their line turn after turn, instead of them using their numerical advantage to outflank me or sacrifice a unit or two to take my archers down or penetrate the city walls.

Re: City States I don't know if that's a tech issue or the AI just refusing to upgrade units. Even other Civs don't seem to upgrade their units much, though that might be tied in to them rarely having a big gold surplus.

The aggressive and powerful barbarians in the early and mid game are very nice. Having so many mounted units is a great part of that - in the past even with Raging Barbarians it seemed easy to hole up in your cities and then corner them when you had a couple units. At this point I feel forced to decide between exploring and avoiding getting an annoying amount of stuff pillaged. Improvements are easy enough to fix, but if a district gets pillaged...

Speaking of getting spammed with apostles, what's your read on religion? I've had a lot of fun with it in the early game, but once the boundaries are set it seems to turn into a tedious slog for me. Having Faith as an alternative currency to Gold for great people/units if you choose theocracy/some buildings with Jesuit Education is a nice incentive to still keep building Holy Sites, but with the micromanaging required by midgame I'm tempted to just skip the religion game entirely and focus on other things early on instead of focusing on getting a Great Prophet.

The other Civs also don't go for strategic resources much so they can't upgrade. The AI is really bad in this game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #206
henry296
College Starter

I went up to King and already captured two capitals and it turn 143.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #207
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I've never been advanced enough to really notice or care much about AI issues in Civ games, but it is really noticeably bad in this one. AI can't do basic expansion and with combat it seems to just randomly throw units at you.

I just steamrolled through Prince with zero challenge. Took my time and played into the 1900s, 5 AIs, only one expanded to more than 2 cities. Two of them never even added a second.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #208
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have a game going on Prince with 4 civs (including me). Rome declared the surprise war on me, and like others I did the pants pooping. And then they had their legions just wander around in my territory, mostly just shifting positions while I picked them off with a couple of bowmen. Even if they couldn't have taken a city they could have pillaged the crap out of all my lands, but they did not once pillage a single tile. After a couple dozen turns to crank out some units I turned the tables and now they are out of the game.

On the other hand, the other two civs in the game have used that time to expand fairly rapidly. I'm still leading score-wise, but not by a lot, and I can't really say they have been stupid about their approach so far. So we'll see what happens with them as it progresses.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:36 AM   #209
RainMaker
General Manager

One thing worth mentioning is that starting position seems to matter much more than in previous versions.

I had a game on King with 3 continents. Myself and another Civ on one, nothing but city-states on another, and the other 4 Civs on the other. I crushed the Civ near me early, got to the other continent quick and had full control of that, and from there I could have won any way I wanted to.

It seems maps and positions are more random than before. Maybe that's why I'm noticing some games play out easier than others.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #210
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I have a game going on Prince with 4 civs (including me). Rome declared the surprise war on me, and like others I did the pants pooping. And then they had their legions just wander around in my territory, mostly just shifting positions while I picked them off with a couple of bowmen. Even if they couldn't have taken a city they could have pillaged the crap out of all my lands, but they did not once pillage a single tile. After a couple dozen turns to crank out some units I turned the tables and now they are out of the game.

On the other hand, the other two civs in the game have used that time to expand fairly rapidly. I'm still leading score-wise, but not by a lot, and I can't really say they have been stupid about their approach so far. So we'll see what happens with them as it progresses.

This is my issue. There is almost no need to mount a defense in the game. The AI is so inept at attacking that you're almost never in danger. One archer in your city and a wall and that's about it for most of the game. The AI never goes in for the kill when they clearly have you on your heels.

I've had multiple times now where I've been caught by a surprise war, had almost no defenses while they had a ton of units coming in, and survived it with ease. Not just that, but after I picked off all their dumb units with a lone archer, they'll give me a sweet peace deal.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #211
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really helpful if you don't know how districts work together with cities.

5 Tips for Civ 6 Districts That Will Transform Your City Planning - Blogs - Gamepedia
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #212
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone know how allied relationships work? I formed one a couple hundreds turns ago and couldn't figure out how to break it or declare war on them. Even dropped a nuke on them and didn't do anything. As designed or bugged? Eventually they asked me to move my troops or declare war, declared war and that worked for whatever reason(when a thermonuke wouldn't).

Also running into problems with a different civ asking me to move my troops or declare war, I declare war but then I'm still not allowed to move troops into their territory and my diplocatic options with them are as if I'm not at war.

These last couple are proving game breaking in an end game on King. I don't feel like working around them. Frustrating, hope these get worked out before they start pumping out minor DLC.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

Diplomacy just doesn't work. Don't bother with working with other Civs.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #214
Peregrine
Pro Starter

This was a new one that seems ridiculous from the AI - a civ paid me to join their war, but once I did so they almost immediately denounced me as a warmonger.

edit --Also in the same game I keep repeatedly getting denounced by the same people I was already denounced by. I could do without all those diplo screens over and over telling me the same thing,
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-07-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Caught myself sitting listening to the music when the load was already done. Love it.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #216
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just breezed through King with about as much difficulty as Settler.

I am not an advanced Civ player and I've never bitched about AI in previous releases, but I consider this game broken.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Just breezed through King with about as much difficulty as Settler.

I am not an advanced Civ player and I've never bitched about AI in previous releases, but I consider this game broken.

There's something really wrong with the unit production/upgrading for both city states and other civs. It's measuring military strength by number of units rather than actual strength. It also doesn't upgrade units properly.

I fully expect the first patch to address it, though you have to wonder how it ever got through testing. From my IT background, I'm guessing this was a last minute fix of something in the military that botched another part of the AI and it wasn't tested before it went out.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #218
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I don't know, I think it's that and a lot more. I had a Civ declare a surprise war and send about about 8 horsemen running around my city, which were good units at this point in time. I had almost no defense. The horsemen just ran around in circles doing nothing, no pillaging, no attacks, basically just cluttered my screen. Turn after turn. My feeling was the AI just wasn't going to do anything without a siege unit backing them, but I kept taking out catapults as they sent them one at a time.

Eventually I built up enough of an army to clear out the horsemen and was promptly offered a sweet peace offer. Previous Civ games the end result would have been game over.

I have to expect they will patch it, because the game is broken as is, but I'm not sure how easy it will be.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-14-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #219
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's something really wrong with the unit production/upgrading for both city states and other civs. It's measuring military strength by number of units rather than actual strength. It also doesn't upgrade units properly.

I fully expect the first patch to address it, though you have to wonder how it ever got through testing. From my IT background, I'm guessing this was a last minute fix of something in the military that botched another part of the AI and it wasn't tested before it went out.

I think it has to do with strategic resources that are available. It feels like they are really scarce in this game. Especially if you're playing on a map with a ton of Civs. Just finished a standard map game. Out of the 7 Civs remaining, only 2 had access to aluminum. 3 had access to oil. I was covering about a third of the entire map and only had access to one oil.

I feel like just doubling up on the resources that are available on the map would help a ton. I get it with uranium, but aluminum should not be this scarce. Or make the Civs more aggressive in trading for it so they can upgrade their units.

Probably a better way of implementing it would have been to allow all units to build/upgrade units but make it twice as expensive/twice the production to do it without owning the strategic resource.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #220
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, I don't know, I think it's that and a lot more. I had a Civ declare a surprise war and send about about 8 horsemen running around my city, which were good units at this point in time. I had almost no defense. The horsemen just ran around in circles doing nothing, no pillaging, no attacks, basically just cluttered my screen. Turn after turn. My feeling was the AI just wasn't going to do anything without a siege unit backing them, but I kept taking out catapults as they sent them one at a time.

I had a similar experience.

I built a city a bit out of reach. France declared war on me and went right for that city. I had an archer, but no walls. They had enough to take the city out no problem, but spent many turns just running around the city. By the time they finally decided to attack I was one or two turns away from getting walls and that was that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #221
RainMaker
General Manager

I will say I thoroughly enjoy going for a culture victory in the game. A lot of little things they added make it fun. Theming your art galleries, stealing art from other Civs, etc.

Only problem is tourism is so poorly explained that I don't know how close I am to winning most of the time.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #222
Peregrine
Pro Starter

RainMaker I find if you look at the rankings, culture score area it's easier to understand. In fact all of the victory types are explained well in there.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #223
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

AI+ | CivFanatics Forums

Haven't tried this mod yet but reviews are good that it helps the AI behaviour
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #224
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
AI+ | CivFanatics Forums

Haven't tried this mod yet but reviews are good that it helps the AI behaviour
That's good to see. I've put the game on hold waiting for the patch so I may try this mod out.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #225
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. That's a big city.

Civilization VIÂ*City Has Over Two Billion People
Old 11-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #226
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

New patch out; fixes include:

renaming cities;
option to disable auto cycle;
visual cue for culture expansions;
several changes to diplomatic relations;
altered religious AI to include fewer, more long-lived units;
alterations to military AI to increase promotions, settler escort, military balance, and advanced construction;
more aggressive enemy civ Science and Culture AI;
better unit build management for city-states;
adjusted distance to Barbarian camps on lower difficulty.

Among the diplomatic changes, they changed the joint war/warmonger issue (that was a bug, apparently), made AI civs slower to anger, changed the criterion for bitching about troops near the border, reduced most warmonger penalties (except when genociding a civ), altered AI values for going to war and ending it, and made neutral civs less likely to never accept delegations.

They also tuned some cheesing strategies that cropped up in the first month, like the "delete damaged units for gold" exploit, and the bombardment XP exploit.

I'm saying "altered" or "changed" rather than "fixed" because who knows if it's any less broken? But the patch notes do look like they've touched most of the things I've seen criticized so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow.

Last edited by Shkspr : 11-17-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:34 AM   #227
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

[NEW]
• Maps
- Added a balanced six player map.
- Added a balanced four player map.
• ‘Cavalry and Cannonades’ Scenario Added
- Combat scenario with reduced unit maintenance costs and no strategic resource requirement for units.
- Larger starting army and additional starting techs.
- Time limit: 50 turns.
- Goal: Possess the largest territory.
• DX12 Support
• Complete Logitech ARX Support

[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]
• Added additional notifications.
• Added a “time defeat” for running out of time. This is always disabled if a Score Victory is available.
• Added additional Hotkey support (next unit, next city).
• Added the ability to rename cities.
• Added UI to show the next tile a city will grow to.
• Added a visual cue for Barbarian Scouts that are alerted to your city.
• Changed Dan Quayle rankings.

[BALANCE CHANGES]
• Added prerequisite project (Manhattan Project) for Operation Ivy.
• Added Metal Casting as a prerequisite for Economics tech.
• Adjusted religious pressure when a religion is first founded to give them more resilience and convert the city.
• Adjusted relationship decay rates.
• Reduced the effectiveness of cavalry production policies.
• Reduced Warmonger penalties in most instances, and adjusted how this reacts to returning versus keeping a city. The last city conquered from a player now provides a heavy warmonger penalty, even if you have a Casus Belli against this player, because you are wiping out a civilization.
• Reduced border incursion warnings if the troops are within their own borders.
• Increased the number of Great Works of Writing slots in the Amphitheater to 2.
• Increased Counterspy operation time.
• Increased the cost of Religious units and applied additional charges.
• Units may no longer be deleted when they are damaged.
• Deleting a unit no longer provides gold.
• Updated Island Plates map to have more hills and mountains.
• Units may no longer remove features from tiles that are not owned by that player.
• Fallout now prevents resource harvesting.
• Barbarian camps must spawn further away from low-difficulty players’ cities.

[AI TUNING]
• Adjusted AI victory condition focus to increase their competitiveness in Science and Tourism.
• Adjusted AI understanding of declared friendship.
• Adjusted the AI approach to beginning and ending a war based on potential gain and loss.
• Increased AI competitiveness in building a more advanced military.
• Increased AI usage of Inquisitors. Especially Phillip.
• Increased AI value of upgrading units.
• Increased AI use of Settler escorts.
• Tuned AI usage of units that cannot move and shoot, like Catapults.
• Tuned AI city and unit build planning.
• Improved the ability of city-states to maintain a strong military.

[BUG FIXES]
• Fixed some production Social Policies, Great People, and Pantheon bonuses that were not applying correctly.
• Fixed Royal Navy Dockyard not getting the right adjacency bonuses.
• Fixed some issues with how the Great Wall was built by players and AI, including proper connection to mountains and removing other players’ Great Walls as potential connection points.
• Fixed a unit cycling error with formations.
• Fixed a bug where the first military levy that expired would return all levied units (including those levied from other city-states) to that city-state. Now it should only return the levied units that actually originally belonged to the one city-state.
• Fixed several issues when Airstrips and Aerodromes are occupied, including forced rebasing of enemy units and UI updates.
• Fixed an exploit that allowed ranged and bombard units to gain experience when attacking a district with 0 hit points.
• Fixed an issue with wonders when transferring city ownership – conquering a city with a wonder would not track that wonder, and could lead to problems when attempting to use Gustave Eiffel.
• Fixed an issue where the Settler lens would not always show the right information to the player.
• Fixed an issue where AI would counter gold changes with the change desired, rather than the total amount of gold desired.
• Fixed an issue where the Tutorial intro and outro videos would appear off-center in certain resolutions.
• Fixed some crashes with units.
• Fixed an issue where multiple leaders of the same civilization would frequently show up in a game.
• Fixed an issue where Trade Route yields were doubling in some instances.
• Units in formations now break formation before teleporting between cities.
• The achievement ‘For Queen and Country’ was unlocking too frequently.
• AI with neutral relationships should accept delegations barring exceptional circumstances.
• Can no longer declare a Joint War if it is invalid for either party.
• Save game files should no longer be case sensitive.
• Certain wonders were sending extra notifications.
• Players will no longer receive any warmongering penalties from a joint war partner for actions in that joint war.
• Liberating a civilization back to life will now bring them back into the game properly.
• Observation Balloon range bonus was being incorrectly applied when stacked.
• Text and grammar fixes.

[VISUALS]
• Buildings on snow will now have snow on them.
• Added an Industrial Barbarian Encampment.
• Added a ranger tower to National Parks.
• Fixed some issues with buildings not culling around other world items properly.
• Fixed an issue with some Districts not showing properly.
• Miscellaneous polish applied to multiple improvements, districts, and buildings.

[MULTIPLAYER]
• Turn timers are always disabled on the first turn of a new game. This happens regardless of the advanced start or turn timer type selected.
• Allow multiplayer lobby's private game status to be toggled once the lobby has been created.
• Cap the max players to 12.
• Added LAN player name option to options screen.

[UI]
• Added the number of specialists working a tile.
• Added some additional icons for espionage, promotions, etc.
• Added additional Civilopedia shortcuts, including right clicking a unit portrait.
• Added the signature to the diplomacy action view/deal view so that we can differentiate between duplicate players. Also added multiplayer screenname in diplomacy.
• Added Trade Route yields to the Reports screen.
• Added City Center to the City Breakdown panel.
• Added rewards and consequences to mission completed popups.
• Updated the leader-chooser when beginning a new game.
• Updated the end game Victory screen.
• Updated the multiplayer staging room.
• Updated city banners.
• Updated Espionage mission chooser flow.
• Updated to display what cities are getting amenities from each resource.
• Changed resource icon backings to reflect the type of resource it is.
• Auto-scroll to the first Great Person that can be claimed.
• Improved search functionality in the Civilopedia.
• Removed Barbarian data from player replay graphs.
• ESC now closes the Tech, Civic, and Eureka popups.
• When loading a game, the era blurb will be the current era of the saved game, rather than the starting era of the game.

[AUDIO]
• Added some missing mouseover sounds.
• Fixed the Oracle quote.
• Fixed an issue where the Advisor voice was not playing in some languages.
• Fixed compatibility issues with some sound cards, especially those set to high playback rates.

[MISC]
• Added a setup option "No Duplicate Leaders" that is enabled by default. This option prevents multiple players from selecting the same leader.
• Updated leader screen to support enabling/disabling bloom according to the 'Enable Bloom' graphics option.
• Plot Tooltip Delay is now available in the Options menu.
• Auto Cycle Units is now available in the Options menu.
• Benchmark updates.
• Credits updated.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-18-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I don't see any update in Steam for the game, but it looks like I have a new option to play DX12 or standard on the game. I'm assuming that means it was updated?
Old 11-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #229
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I saw mine updating, and it shows on my completed list.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #230
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Mine updated last night.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #231
Edward64
Head Coach

Had a chance to play more over Thanksgiving and after the patch.

I'm enjoying it more than Civ 5. Not sure why but it seems to be less drudge work and micromanagement.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #232
Edward64
Head Coach

I doing the early to mid game and still enjoying it. I tend to do Stonehenge and get a religion early and then send out those missionaries & apostles.

Need to step away and start playing FOF8 soon.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #233
RainMaker
General Manager

I like it a lot too. It's still too easy but the last patch fixed some things. Hopefully the next one addresses more.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Civilization VI Gets Big Updates, New Civ

List of changes:

Civilization VI | News | Civilization VI ‘Winter 2016 Update’ Now Live

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-21-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #235
Ben E Lou

Bah. Don't link to them. Post 'em up.

[NEW]
  • Added Earth map (Standard size)
  • Added “Alert” action for units
    • Put a unit to sleep until they spot an enemy unit
  • Scenario setup menu
    • Jump into Scenarios more easily within the Single Player menu. This only shows up when a single player scenario is available and enabled (as can be found in both of the new DLCs!)
  • Added new replay option to Wonder completion movies
[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]
  • Religious units may now Fortify Until Healed
  • Coastal Raids can now pillage districts in addition to the buildings within
  • Great Admirals are no longer allowed to spawn on wonders in water tiles (ex. Huey, Great Lighthouse) so they cannot become stranded in lakes
[BALANCE CHANGES]
  • Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)
  • Cities can no longer receive amenities from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. amenities from multiple Stadiums)
  • Decreased production costs of Wonders progressively
    • From the Industrial era (about -10%) to the Atomic era (about -40%).
  • Decreased production costs of all Space Race Projects by 40%.
  • Increased research costs of Technologies and Civics progressively
    • From the Industrial era (about +5%) to the Information era (about +20%).
  • Increased Faith from Mission
  • Increased Culture from Chateau
  • Lowered the minimum unit upgrade cost
  • Improved clarity on Warmongering penalties associated with taking a civ’s final city
  • Most Civilization unique districts now require population to construct (like normal districts)
  • Spaceport district no longer requires population to construct
[AI TUNING]
  • Improved AI Deal negotiations and analysis
  • Improved AI handling of Promises; including that they are more likely to agree if they like you, and also will consider how trustworthy a civ is by whether they’ve kept previous promises
  • Improved tactical handling of Great Admirals and Great Generals
  • Improved AI interest in Terracotta Army
  • Improved handling of leaf techs
  • Improved building of Forts
  • Improved resource grabbing in late game
  • Improved Last Viking King agenda’s analysis for who is in bottom percentage of navies
  • Improved handling of several complaint or kudo messages from AI
  • Rebalanced Catherine’s evaluation of the ‘no spying’ Promise
  • AI will not try to convert unconvertible cities
[BUG FIXES]
  • Fixed several unique buildings that weren’t getting their yields increased by various game effects (ex. Policies)
  • Fixed an issue that allowed the Goddess of the Harvest pantheon bonus to stack
  • Fixed it so loading screens now show the correct text and play matching VO
  • Fixed an issue that blocked certain relationship-based diplomatic actions
  • Fixed an issue where incomplete Encampment districts were able to attack
  • Fixed an issue where you could declare war on friends or allies by moving units
  • Fixed an issue where AI could declare war on a civ with whom they were already at war
  • Fixed an issue that caused a Multiplayer lobby to require joining players to have Additional Content that wasn’t actually needed
  • Fixed a bug that caused Apostles to run out of promotions
  • Fixed a bug where gaining policy slots mid-turn could block progression
  • Fixed issues caused by trading lots of Great Works at the same time
  • Fixed an issue where turn timers weren’t loading correctly from a save
  • Fixed an issue where Rome’s roads would connect to too many adjacent roads
  • Fixed issue where civs could get another civ’s exclusive agenda
  • Fixed multiple links to the Civilopedia
  • Fixed issue that could cause menu music to play twice and overlap itself
  • Fixed an issue that could cause private MP games to become public
  • Fixed multiple text & grammatical issues
  • Fixed multiple crashes
[VISUALS]
  • Added new art for National Parks
  • Updated Mines for several eras
  • Updated Swordsman
  • Improved city fading during combat
[MULTIPLAYER]
  • Hallowed Ground scenario is no playable on huge maps
  • VO now plays correctly when loading a save
[UI]
  • Resource Report now correctly shows resources from several sources:
    • Great People abilities
    • Diplomatic Deals
  • Checkboxes for toggle yields and grid now stay in sync with hotkeys
  • Improved differentiation in Government Lens hex colors
  • Added Defeat icon to the End Game Results screen
[AUDIO]
  • Added sound effect for Quick Save hotkey
Old 12-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #236
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Nice - I need to start a new game and try this out - I like the general lowering of production costs and increase of research costs in mid to late game - maybe I will actually build some of those highfalutin later units instead of just research past them super fast.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

After My Dad Died, He Left Behind Thousands of Hours of Civilization Save Files
Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #238
frnk55
High School Varsity

After watching some streamers play civ 6 I have decided to load up civ 5. I think it needs a expansion and the workshop needs to be there. I don't dislike 6 but 5 has more to it. And wow those latest reviews. Ouch.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #239
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

AI is still really bad. Last game I played I breezed through on Emperor without much challenge, previous versions I never even bothered trying above Prince.

I love the game itself, but have no interest in playing due to the lack of resistance.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #240
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I've been trying to think of a way to describe how I feel about Civ VI and I think I've finally settled on tedious. It feels like there is so much micro managing than Civ V.

That said, I haven't explored the game with the latest patch since the holidays. I'll try and give it a whirl this week and see how I feel.

That said, I had trouble getting into Civ V at first too. I had the game for more than a year and would fiddle around with it and lose interest. It wasn't until I had time to deep dive into that it finally clicked, and now it's probably my favorite non-sports game of the last 20 years.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #241
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I've been trying to think of a way to describe how I feel about Civ VI and I think I've finally settled on tedious. It feels like there is so much micro managing than Civ V.

I'm with you. I've probably finished one game. At a certain point it is glaringly obvious you are going to win and it's just tedium to get there.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #242
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tips For Playing Civilization VI
Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #243
Ben E Lou

Haven't played with the latest update, but some of the listed features, *could* be helpful. Has anyone given it a go?

[NEW]
  • TEAMS:
  • Multiplayer Teams have been added to Civilization VI and this feature builds on updates to the Alliance agreement. Players on teams gain additional benefits (beyond those of an alliance), as follows:
    • When one teammate finishes research on a tech or civic, their teammate(s) receive a boost for that tech or civic.
    • Teammates share war status against opponents not on their team.
    • Teammates share allied status with opponents not on their team.
    • Teammates work together to win or lose the game as a single entity. The Religion and Culture Victories have been reworked so they are more cooperative.
      • The Religion Victory requires you to convert all civs to ONE of the religions started by your team.
      • The Culture Victory requires ONE member of your team to be culturally dominant over all players NOT on your team.
    • MODDING TOOLS
      • Updated lobby and in-game UI to better show Additional Content details.
      • Added Sid Meier’s Civilization VI Development Tools, which includes ModBuddy, Tools, FireTuner, and the Steam Workshop Uploader.
        • ModBuddy: A packaging and development tool.
        • Art/Asset Tools: Import FBX files into a format usable by the game, as well as customize existing art.
        • FireTuner: In-game debugging and editing tool.
      • Added Sid Meier’s Civiliation VI Development Assets, which includes the game art assets. This is a large download (approximately 7GB compressed download and 27GB on disk) which contains game assets, including models, textures, and interface elements.
      • STEAM WORKSHOP
        • Access mods created by the Steam community via Steam Workshop
        • Share your mods with the Steam community with the Steam Workshop uploader.

ModBuddy will also receive additional updates in the future, as part of a modding SDK update later. These tools do not include DLL source for Civilization VI at this time.
[MISC]
  • Added True Start Location feature, where civs start on the world map at their geographic origin.
  • Added a City-State slider to game setup.

[BALANCE CHANGES]
  • Start position and map generation has been tuned.
  • Updated ice generation to allow more for circumnavigation.
  • Commercial Hub and Harbor both provide +1 Trade Route capacity, but only the first one applies (used to stack for +2 capacity total).
  • Units that are embarked now use an era-based strength value instead of their base combat value.
  • Many of the techs that reveal strategic resources have been changed to reveal the resource before it is needed to build a resource-dependent unit.
  • Players can now build obsoleted units if they do not have access to the strategic resource required by the upgrade unit.
  • Tech Tree balance. Adding several prerequisites to address paths through the tree that were too quick and led to era transitions too early.
    • Horseback Riding now requires Archery. Archery is no longer a leaf tech.
    • Stirrups is now in the late Medieval era and costs 390 (was early Medieval and cost 300).
    • Industrialization now requires Square Rigging.
    • Scientific Theory now requires Banking.
    • Steel now requires Rifling.
    • Computers now requires Radio.
  • Updated the cost and strength of some Air units.
  • Change movement rules after disembarkation. Cannot land on shore with more movement than your Land Movement allowance.
  • Updated Vikings Scenario to 60 turns.

[AI TUNING]
  • Increased desire and ability to use nukes and aircraft, and maintain a standing military. General AI attack improvements.
  • Increased desire to declare friendship.
  • Reduced frequency of “your troops are on my border“ warning.
  • Updated settlement preferences.
  • Barbarians now rampage when their camp is destroyed.
  • Will now liberate minor civs and cities of current allies.
  • Tuned strategic and luxury resource trading.
  • Will now be more aware of gold income, and work to bring in more.
  • Support units will recognize that they are not under threat if they share a hex with a friendly unit.
  • Added a grace period of 2 turns after the end of open borders before the AI starts complaining you're too close to their territory.
  • Barbarians may now pillage tiles to heal.
  • AI will now continue to research repeatable techs and civics.

[BUG FIXES]
  • Kongo relics no longer get multiplied Faith yields if more than one is in the same building
  • Fixed some bugs with Great People not interacting correctly with Vikings natural wonders.
  • Sumeria will no longer share joint war experience with a player when killing barbarians.
  • Corrected tourism calculation from National Parks to ensure correct awarding.
  • Fixed an issue where you could sometimes not offer Joint War.
  • Spies will not have the Steal Tech mission available when you have already completed all techs.
  • City States gain territory for influence even if they get the influence before founding their city.
  • When a player is destroyed, his captured spies die with him.
  • All of your active spy missions stop in a city that you or an ally has just captured.
  • Fixed problem in tactical combat that was preventing units from capturing builders
  • You are no longer allowed to declare war on declared friends (or in an enforced peace period) from the "troops near me" warning.
  • Increased Jet Fighter and Jet Bomber sight range (up from 2 to 5).
  • Additional bug fixes.

[VISUALS]
  • Added snow environmental VFX.
  • Added sand environmental VFX.

[MULTIPLAYER]
  • Added “Turn Unready” button.

[UI]
  • Added more bindable keys (Toggle Resource Icons, Toggle Tourism Lens, Alert action).
  • Added a notification for when a player loses territory to a culture bomb.

[AUDIO]
  • Adding some missing UI sounds.
  • VIKINGS DLC:
    • Added VO, and updated quotes, for three Natural Wonders.
    • Added VO to Natural Wonders while in the scenario.

[MISC]
  • Credits updated.
  • Fixed some missing ARX images.
  • Updating game concepts for City-States, Trade Routes, and Great People. Explained some things that were not there before (ex. Patronage, gold income for foreign routes passing through city), as well as some clarifications.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

Being able to build obsolete military units is a huge one. Was always a weird bug in the previous iteration.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #245
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Being able to build obsolete military units is a huge one. Was always a weird bug in the previous iteration.

Especially given the scarcity of strategic resources. Most of my wars follow the same logic: Do I want (iron/coal/aluminium/uranium/etc)? Better go attack someone for the three on the visible map.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #246
Drake
assmaster

Looks like a good patch...even if it did wreck half of my mod load order (to address some of those issues). I lost a ton of features (in things like TCS overhual) because the patch addressed the issues I downloaded the overhaul to compensate for.

That's just the price of jumping into mods from Day 1, I suppose. (I haven't played a non-modded version of any game in more than a decade. The health of the modding community is one of the biggest factors I weigh in deciding what games to buy. Plus, I tend to cheat like a motherfucker.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #247
RainMaker
General Manager

Details on the next patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comment...4f&sh=785c4a4a

Sounds like coastal cities will finally be worth building. Was always weird that you were at a disadvantage.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #248
Icy
Pro Starter

Has the AI been improved enough to enjoy playing solo after release? I didn't purchase it after the bad reviews, but I would like at some point.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #249
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Has the AI been improved enough to enjoy playing solo after release? I didn't purchase it after the bad reviews, but I would like at some point.

It has gotten better after the last patch. I can't just breeze through a game at a higher difficulty level anymore.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #250
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah it's a little better. They still suck at taking walled cities though. But a lot of the early exploits have been fixed.