Here is a look at Rosen's forst game

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/...the-box-score/
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #352
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So I count 10 quarterbacks from the past three drafts (not counting CJ Beathard) that are now starting quarterbacks, and several look like potential stars. Listed in brackets is the age that there are/will be in 2018. If you were starting a franchise today, which order would you rank these guys in. Feel free to dip into Winston (24) and Mariota (25) if you really like. Here's the list from the 2016-2018 drafts...

Jared Goff (24)
Carson Wentz (26)
Dak Prescott (25)
Mitch Trubisky (24)
Patrick Mahomes (23)
Deshaun Watson (23)
Baker Mayfield (23)
Sam Darnold (21)
Josh Allen (22)
Josh Rosen (21)

Wentz - Easily the most proven of this group.

Mahomes - Liked him coming out to Tech. Still looks better than I expected.
Mariota - Has had to deal with a shit offensive scheme his first 3 years and hasn't been able to stay healthy so far this season. I still think he's a very good QB.
Goff - A safe pick. Not going to kill you and in the right scheme (where he is now) he can be very good.
Baker - Obviously rated here on potential. Accurate QB, solid arm, playmaker.
Watson - Led the NFL in % of throws that were turnover worthy last year. Playing better this year, but still too many turnover worthy plays.
Trubisky - Could put the next 3 in any order. I think Trubisky is in a good situation with Nagy, though, and his lack of experience gives him more growth potential than most guys with his profile.
Rosen - All the tools. Seems to have taken body language courses with Jay Cutler.
Darnold - Still seems like he hasn't really improved since his freshman year at USC.
Dak - Below average NFL starter. Maybe he has some more growth in him and takes a leap, but right now he's being exposed without the elite O-Line and his receiving corps dropping off.
Winston - Should be one of the top 3 on this list based on talent, but I'm starting to wonder if the light ever comes on for him.

Allen - Had no business going in the first round. I thought at some point while watching him at Wyoming pro scouts would realize he's not very good right now and may never be. The guy would play like shit for 80% of a game, but make a NFL throw or two, show off his athleticism, and everyone would seem to forget how poorly he played.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #353
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Here is a look at Rosen's forst game

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/10/...the-box-score/

Thanks for the link. Cards could have easily won that game, and not a lot of it was Rosen's fault. I like that they let him throw downfield instead of short safe passes. Too bad the receivers (including the normally reliable Fitz) let him down. Niners up next, so certainly a chance for a win there.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #354
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Fwiw with all the elite guys playing into their 40's now I don't think age matters that much for young QB's. It's not like basketball where you can really see the improvements as guys get older & more physically developed. Shoot, even RB's I'm not sure how much age matters for draftees with their short career spans.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #355
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Fwiw with all the elite guys playing into their 40's now I don't think age matters that much for young QB's. It's not like basketball where you can really see the improvements as guys get older & more physically developed. Shoot, even RB's I'm not sure how much age matters for draftees with their short career spans.

I think it's more important as a consideration in projecting upside rather than how many years you'll get out of each of these guys. For example, I would only give a small amount of weight to something like how many good years I'll get out of Wentz (26) as opposed to Rosen (21) when deciding who I would take. But it is definitely a consideration when looking at their potential upside and the fact that Rosen is five years younger.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #356
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it's more important as a consideration in projecting upside rather than how many years you'll get out of each of these guys. For example, I would only give a small amount of weight to something like how many good years I'll get out of Wentz (26) as opposed to Rosen (21) when deciding who I would take. But it is definitely a consideration when looking at their potential upside and the fact that Rosen is five years younger.
Idk, how many high profile quarterbacks have started & played poorly when they were "young" then developed into an above average QB later? Alex Smith? Some good ones have really bad rookie seasons, but it seems like by year 2 as a starter you more or less know what you have.

Heck, if you can develop QB's, DeShone Kizer is still only 21 & has all the tools... should he be in this discussion (yes, imo, he's tied with Josh Allen!)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #357
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Idk, how many high profile quarterbacks have started & played poorly when they were "young" then developed into an above average QB later? Alex Smith? Some good ones have really bad rookie seasons, but it seems like by year 2 as a starter you more or less know what you have.

Heck, if you can develop QB's, DeShone Kizer is still only 21 & has all the tools... should he be in this discussion (yes, imo, he's tied with Josh Allen!)

In year 2 as a starter Brady was a check down machine that had over 130 targets to running backs. Despite the Super Bowls he didn't actually play like an elite QB until '07. Roethlisberger's development was somewhat similar. Brees didn't actually become even a decent starter until his 4th year. Cousins couldn't even win a starting job until he was 27.

Out of those guys Cousins definitely wasn't good in his 2nd year and Brees was terrible in his 2nd year as a starter. Brady and Roethlisberger weren't bad, but they hadn't exactly shown many signs of the development leap that was ahead of them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #358
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In year 2 as a starter Brady was a check down machine that had over 130 targets to running backs. Despite the Super Bowls he didn't actually play like an elite QB until '07. Roethlisberger's development was somewhat similar. Brees didn't actually become even a decent starter until his 4th year. Cousins couldn't even win a starting job until he was 27.

Out of those guys Cousins definitely wasn't good in his 2nd year and Brees was terrible in his 2nd year as a starter. Brady and Roethlisberger weren't bad, but they hadn't exactly shown many signs of the development leap that was ahead of them.
Tom Brady was 25 as a 2nd year starter, 30 in 2007 when he made the leap in public perception. Kirk Cousins wasn't a starter until he was 27, as you pointed out. Ben got hyped for his team's 13-0 start with him, but he also put up QB Ratings of 98 each of his first two years - his career QB Rating is 93. (Yes, I know, QB Rating is quite imperfect.) Drew Breees is a good example - I forgot how much he struggled at 23/24, before the light clicked at age 25.

The other three though make me look at Wentz (26) and Rosen (21) and think since we've seen plenty of QB's make a leap later in their 20's I don't look at it their age has a huge bearing on their upside or potential for growth, so give me the better QB in a heartbeat.

So for my actual rankings I'll go by tiers

Wentz
Mahomes
-----
Watson (due to injury concerns)
Goff
-----
Mayfield
-----
Darnold
-----
Trubisky
Prescott
-----
Allen
Kizer

(Haven't seen Rosen play for the Cardinals enough yet, but he'd be no higher than the Mayfield tier for me right now.)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #359
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'll throw this out there in defense of Goff, being a Rams fan and seeing a ton of him this year, completely throw out his first season. Having Fisher as a head coach, and offensive coaches that were... offensively bad, that season is not who Goff is.

He has made several throws the last few weeks that I have only seen Rogers, Brees, and Peyton Manning make repeatedly.

I think Mahomes is going to be very good, but I think he is overrated right now. He has playmakers all around him, and he is very mobile, which always excites us fans. But, I see the same concern people have with Watson with him.

Mayfield is interesting, he has the tools, but showed some lack of maturity at Oklahoma. Is he going to stay on the straight and narrow, or will he fall off the wagon?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #360
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Mayfield is interesting, he has the tools, but showed some lack of maturity at Oklahoma. Is he going to stay on the straight and narrow, or will he fall off the wagon?

The best thing for Mayfield would be for the Browns to win 3 games, get Jackson out of there, get more talent in the draft, and bring in a Sean Payton like coach who can work with his skill set.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #361
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I'll throw this out there in defense of Goff, being a Rams fan and seeing a ton of him this year, completely throw out his first season. Having Fisher as a head coach, and offensive coaches that were... offensively bad, that season is not who Goff is.

He has made several throws the last few weeks that I have only seen Rogers, Brees, and Peyton Manning make repeatedly.

I think Mahomes is going to be very good, but I think he is overrated right now. He has playmakers all around him, and he is very mobile, which always excites us fans. But, I see the same concern people have with Watson with him.

Goff made a couple throws last week that were absurdly good.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #362
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hope I'm wrong but I think tonight is going to be a massacre. The Colts are missing too many players from an already marginal roster.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #363
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Patriots just Pac-Man'd the Colts on that first drive.. wakka wakka wakka Edelman is apparently the Power Pellet for the Pats offense.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #364
tarcone
Coordinator

Thank goodness. Im not a fan of betting on the NFL, but I took NE -10.5 in my 4 team parlay. Whew.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #365
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I love the amazon prime stream of the game has THREE English broadcast teams to choose from.. the main Fox Broadcast, Hannah Storm and Andrea Kramer, or the UK Simulcast.

I'm going with that third one.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #366
cuervo72
Head Coach

This game is, like just about every Patriots game, boring as shit.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #367
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colts are putting up more of a fight than I thought they would. Hopefully they have good Luck in the 4th quarter.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #368
tarcone
Coordinator

Noooooo. U of Houston already killed one of my parlays. This game is in the other. I need NE to win by 11

And Gordon helps me out.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #369
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I feel so bad for Luck. He is so good and this is easily the least talented roster in the NFL
Old 10-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #370
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I feel so bad for Luck. He is so good and this is easily the least talented roster in the NFL

Yeah. But you need a franchise QB to win. Hopefully their front office can help him out.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 AM   #371
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This game is, like just about every Patriots game, boring as shit.
*regular season Patriots game* - Patriots have played in 8 super bowls & that's 8 one score games that came down to the final drive.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #372
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
*regular season Patriots game* - Patriots have played in 8 super bowls & that's 8 one score games that came down to the final drive.
That's how most regular season Colts with pre-injury Luck games went, a one score game coming down to the final drive.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #373
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
So I count 10 quarterbacks from the past three drafts (not counting CJ Beathard) that are now starting quarterbacks, and several look like potential stars. Listed in brackets is the age that there are/will be in 2018. If you were starting a franchise today, which order would you rank these guys in. Feel free to dip into Winston (24) and Mariota (25) if you really like. Here's the list from the 2016-2018 drafts...

Jared Goff (24)
Carson Wentz (26)
Dak Prescott (25)
Mitch Trubisky (24)
Patrick Mahomes (23)
Deshaun Watson (23)
Baker Mayfield (23)
Sam Darnold (21)
Josh Allen (22)
Josh Rosen (21)
Watching last night's game, I'm curious where people would put Andrew Luck (29) and even Jimmy Garoppolo (26). For all the older generation of QB's who are seemingly ageless, it's sobering to think back on the fawning pieces written about Luck and RG3 after their rookie seasons.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #374
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

LOL* what happened in the Packers-Lions game.

Packers challenge a punt, saying that the Lions touched their punt at the 20, and it should be there instead of the one yard line, where the punt was downed.

Turns out when they reviewed the video, it WAS touched... by a Green Bay Packer... so the ball was given to the Lions at the Packer one yard line
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #375
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hate to say it but time for the Giants to send Eli out to pasture.

Also, screw you MAson Crosby for costing me money
Old 10-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #376
sabotai
General Manager

In my biased opinion, that call against Landon Collins was probably the worst "hit on a defenseless receiver" I've ever seen.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In my biased opinion, that call against Landon Collins was probably the worst "hit on a defenseless receiver" I've ever seen.

It was terrible. Not only did he not hit him as he clearly had his hands out trying to pick the ball off, but the receiver was falling down and everyone was diving for the ball. Was a terrible call.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #378
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know how to handle a Bengals team that is resilient and makes adjustments to win games.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #379
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate being a Giants fan.

Looked to me that McCaffery didn't get the first down that they gave him.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #380
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Packers challenge a punt, saying that the Lions touched their punt at the 20, and it should be there instead of the one yard line, where the punt was downed.

Turns out when they reviewed the video, it WAS touched... by a Green Bay Packer... so the ball was given to the Lions at the Packer one yard line
No, the call on the field was Lions ball and no challenge was needed because it was a change of possession. I still have no idea how they didn’t see the ball hit the lions player first. But it was a litany of things that went wrong for GB today.

Last edited by Arles : 10-07-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #381
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

No, the call on the field was Lions ball and it was an automatic review because of change of possession. After the review that clearly showed the ball hit the Lions defender, the refs said there wasn’t enough evidence to change the call. One of the many oddities that made this a frustrating game for us Packer fans.

Last edited by Arles : 10-07-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #382
stevew
Hall Of Famer

First Browns win on a Sunday since 2015 apparently
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #383
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
First Browns win on a Sunday since 2015 apparently

5 weeks in and yet to lose at home as well! Hard to see that streak staying alive after the KC game though...
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #384
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Hate to say it but time for the Giants to send Eli out to pasture.

Also, screw you MAson Crosby for costing me money

Eli is posting numbers this year well above his career averages in many categories.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #385
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Eli is posting numbers this year well above his career averages in many categories.

Do you watch the games?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #386
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
No, the call on the field was Lions ball and it was an automatic review because of change of possession. After the review that clearly showed the ball hit the Lions defender, the refs said there wasn’t enough evidence to change the call. One of the many oddities that made this a frustrating game for us Packer fans.

Lions fan here. I felt like that right after the play, they showed a review angle that pretty clearly showed the ball hitting off the Lions player's forearms but they never really went back to that angle. They showed a couple of other angles where you couldn't really tell/may have looked like it hit off the GB player's shoulder. Seemed like a poor call on the field that they didn't do a great job reviewing so they left it.

That's my take but I was probably smiling so hard it affected my vision.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #387
Bobble
College Prospect

Oh, and check Mason Crosby's safe deposit box for several large denomination, Lion's themed gift cards for Target.

Yikes, what a terrible day for a player.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #388
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Ping: Thomkal

Did you get to watch the game? I completely missed it and would love to hear your take.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #389
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Ping: Thomkal

Did you get to watch the game? I completely missed it and would love to hear your take.

Hey Vince, Only bits and parts-I have Red Zone, and as the game was a game with one win between them, it was the lowest priority amongst the late games. Rosen started out great-first pass was a long TD to rookie Kirk. After that the offense as a whole didn't do much. Johnson had a couple short TDs but less than 100 yards rushing. Cards defense really shined, 2 INT, 4 sacks, a lot of pressure on Beathard. They gave up a lot of yards both rushing and passing, but the turnovers really killed SF.

Breida was hurt early, and out for the rest of the game, but backup Morris did a good job in replacing him. No turnovers for SF made all the difference. Would have been a lot closer without the turnovers.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #390
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there a classier guy in sports than Brees? He is easy to root for.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #391
tarcone
Coordinator

Great, great QB. Enjoyed watching him at Purdue. Happy he has such a great career.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #392
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wondering how Jones can keep employing the Clapper after that punt in overtime. Cowboys had converted 18/19 4th and 1s in the Zeke era. Just inexcusable.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #393
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I know people like to play the what-if game with Brees to Miami, but I think it's even more interesting if he stays in San Diego and instead of going with Manning/Rivers, the Chargers end up with Larry Fitzgerald at or near the top of that draft.

That would have given the Chargers a combination of Brees, LT, Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Gates. Four of the best players ever at their positions.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #394
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Great, great QB. Enjoyed watching him at Purdue. Happy he has such a great career.

I was a sophomore in high school, had my driver's license for two months when I was hanging out with friends at a cabin, listening to Wisconsin play against some kid from Purdue that threw the ball 83 friggin times for almost 500 yards. Wisconsin won but this Brees kid really put a scare into the team that would go on to win the Rose Bowl that year.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #395
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The NFL flagging a team for excessive celebration before stopping the game for the officially sanctioned NFL celebration is the most NFL thing ever.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #396
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brees is probably a great guy and awesome at posting numbers. Does seem like the saints should win a lot more than they do, however.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #397
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants releasing Ereck Flowers. Thanks god. What a dreadful pick from the start. Just for fun I decided to see who was picked after him. The next selection was Todd Gurley. Ouch.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #398
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interesting knock on there, with Gurley the Giants could have had Darnold or Rosen to sit behind Eli for a year or two. So that pick is even worse than it looks in hindsight.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #399
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Brees is probably a great guy and awesome at posting numbers. Does seem like the saints should win a lot more than they do, however.

Defense, defense, defense. New Orleans Saints Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Look at that 7-9 stretch from 2012-2016. The Saints ranked 27th, 31st, 31st, and 32nd in defense during that stretch. And they went 7-9 each year. The one year they ranked above 27th, they went 11-5. In 2012, they set a record--teams averaged 440 yards/game against them.

It is, in my mind, what keeps Sean Payton from being among the greatest NFL coaches. For all he can coach an offense, he's always outsourced the defense, generally with bad results. (I'm fascinated to see how McVay handles it when Wade Phillips retires and he no longer has a top 3-DC to compliment his offense).
Old 10-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #400
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

As a Saints fan, I have always hated Matt Ryan. But watching him play pretty much perfect football and keep losing because his defense lets the other team play slightly better than perfect makes me feel bad for him. My Brees-derived empathy can't help but transcend rivalry a little bit.