Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Rimworld

Uhhhh, I don't really have anything to say about it particularly, other than everybody loves it, so I thought I'd give it it's own thread in the hopes of generating some more conversation.

What's everybody's latest stories?

I've been trying ironman mode, so most of my stories seem to involve 2 hours spent on picking juuuuuust the right party and then 15 minutes of playing before something goes horribly wrong, usually due to my laziness/recklessness, and then I start over.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

My last playthrough was so disheartening. I had a thriving little complex mined into a mountain. Had a great defense set up - kill corridors with debris to slow down attackers, turrets, well armed and armoured defenders. Had an abundance of solar energy with refrigeration areas setup, central heating throughout my colony for the settlers, rooms that had enough flair to keep my settlers happy. Basically everything looked great and I thought I might actually be on track to finish the game by building the escape craft.

Then an eclipse knocks out my power, and combined with a heatwave one of my recently wounded settlers goes a little crazy and starts lighting fires in the middle of the night. Before I can do anything about it they light fires that rage across the only exits out of my main sleeping spaces, and all my settlers end up burning to death.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Do you all typically start by taking over one of the pre-built structures, or do you build/dig your own?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Always dig my own.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
My last playthrough was so disheartening. I had a thriving little complex mined into a mountain. Had a great defense set up - kill corridors with debris to slow down attackers, turrets, well armed and armoured defenders. Had an abundance of solar energy with refrigeration areas setup, central heating throughout my colony for the settlers, rooms that had enough flair to keep my settlers happy. Basically everything looked great and I thought I might actually be on track to finish the game by building the escape craft.

Then an eclipse knocks out my power, and combined with a heatwave one of my recently wounded settlers goes a little crazy and starts lighting fires in the middle of the night. Before I can do anything about it they light fires that rage across the only exits out of my main sleeping spaces, and all my settlers end up burning to death.

Out of interest, how long does it usually take you to get to this point? I think part of this game that frustrates me is how long it takes to get to the point where I can build cool stuff, I suspect I'm either just doing research wrong or not adding as many people to my colony as others are and just don't have the manpower to grow.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

I always start out building with wood and then once I have things going I replace everything with stone of some kind.

For my start, I always make sure I have at least one person that is good at shooting, farming, cooking, animals and research.

As far as the number of colonists goes, I try to recruit every one that I can.

One of my best games was when my pet dog was killed by a raider. The colonist that had the relationship with the dog freaked out and killed one of the other colonists. That dead colonist was the father of my 3rd colonist. So, the 3rd colonist started a fight with her dad's murderer and they both were severely hurt with no one to heal them. When one of them died, the man in black showed up. So, I figured I would get things going with him. But he died when he was trying to rebuild something and the roof collapsed on him. My last dude died soon after, game over.

This game is really good and I never touched any of the mods.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

And that is why, no matter the situation, no matter how talented they are, I always exile every fucking pyromaniac that finds their way to my colony. I don't care how sad it might make the others.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Out of interest, how long does it usually take you to get to this point? I think part of this game that frustrates me is how long it takes to get to the point where I can build cool stuff, I suspect I'm either just doing research wrong or not adding as many people to my colony as others are and just don't have the manpower to grow.

It took many, many hours.

The biggest difference with this playthrough versus most of my others is how quickly my number of settlers grew, especially early on in the game. I remember I had a couple of close brushes with starvation, but otherwise it sped up my progress a good amount. I'd spent many more hours on other play-throughs without reaching the same level that I did in this one.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

The one thing that took me forever to learn is that the game is really about your base, not your colonists. As long as you hang on to 1 living colonist, you can quickly come back from anything. If your base gets destroyed, you're pretty much starting the game over.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

How particular are y'all about picking 1) your starting point on the map and/or 2) your starting party of colonists?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

I am really picky about where I start. I look for mountains with quick access to roads for trade routes. My play style is based around building underground and trading.

I don't spend much time on my starting group. My colonists come and go so regularly that it doesn't make sense for me to spend too much time on the first ones.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
chesapeake
College Starter

I'm the polar opposite of that. I agonize over picking my starting colonists to have a solid blend of skills but like a random starting point.

I just lost a village I'd spent many, many hours building up to a horrible combo of gutworms, flash storm fires, and a pair of raids wiping out the whole colony. The last raid broke through burned out defenses to butcher my last folks who were too sick to get out of bed to fight back. Pretty horrifying stuff.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So I use Come Prepared, and start with a good chunk of colonists...named after friends and relatives.

My poor cousin. She lost 2 fingers on her right hand in battle, and a toe. In another fight, 2 more fingers on her left hand went away. We needed her useful, so....we promptly hacked off her entire arm and installed a cybernetic replacement.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm still in my first play through. So it's not on a hard setting at all. What modes do you guys play in?

I still have my original 3, and I think we're up to 12 or 13, but it's gotten very challenging to keep resources up to keep people mostly happy. We are in the middle of a multi year security and construction process. Everything has taken a back seat to it right now.

We went on a hidden loot quest and there was nothing on the map, anywhere. Which seemed odd, as it was only a few days after it was announced. Any idea what happened?

The last couple raids have really hammered us. We've been ramping up research and defense to prepare for future raids at this point. Steel on my map has been hard to come by, which has cost some development. I did just lose one of my best colonists though, my doctor, animal, miner, #4 shooter and it was friendly fire. That sucked. It was reckless on my part. Desperate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
Critch
lolzcat

I'm on my first long-term playthrough, first time I've stuck with it after the first year or so. On Year 14 with 19 settlers, but with a lot of turnover. The original three settlers are all long gone, there are 22 graves in the settlements settler-only cemetery. Raiders go in the incinerator so dont add the the grave count. Add in a few bodies left behind on missions, a few who didnt leave behind enough to bury, a couple of MIAs and one guy who was denied a burial for being an ass and there have been around 50 settlers over the years.

For my starting settlers I just made sure construction/growing/cooking/hunting were covered, and that nobody was a pyromaniac, but no in-depth planning. Similarly non-picky about recruitment too, pretty much anybody gets in if they want to join. Almost everybody has come role they can fill, even if it's just cleaning.The really terrible captured raiders are nursed back to health and kicked out with no recruitment attempts. If I'm feeling mean, they get Luciferium before being released.

I started off on Cassandra with the default setting but got into a kind of equilibrium where raids would be dealt with, food would be no problem, but the population topped out in the 14/15 range due to Cassandra's "critical" limits. A new guy would turn up, go berry picking, and get their head bitten off by a bear to keep the colony at it's limit.

About 4 years ago I switched over to Randy, that's allowed my settlement to slowly grow as apparently Randy's limiting doesnt kick in til 50-ish. The randomness of Randy has been a nice change, no guaranteed downtime after a raid before the next event, I've had a couple of raids that needed people dragged out their hospital beds to man the barricades. The most recent one was two raids turning up at the same time. Poison Ship, Scythers and Centipedes at the front door and pirate sappers digging through the side walls. Not sure how I got through that with no deaths other than a couple of huskies.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

While we were talking about multiplayer for Rimworld, I found out that there's a couple different ones available. One for playing in the same settlement:

Survive space together with this RimWorld multiplayer mod • Eurogamer.net

And one to play in the same world, but different settlements.

Phi Mod - RimWorld Multiplayer ⋆ RimWorld Base

Has anyone given these a go?

Like Steam?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
While we were talking about multiplayer for Rimworld, I found out that there's a couple different ones available. One for playing in the same settlement:

Survive space together with this RimWorld multiplayer mod • Eurogamer.net

And one to play in the same world, but different settlements.

Phi Mod - RimWorld Multiplayer ⋆ RimWorld Base

Has anyone given these a go?

Last night me and three friends of mine tried the first mod above where you all run a colony together. It was great! We ran the game with just that mod and no others and it ran very smoothly. It’s exactly what you would think. Everyone can do pretty much everything. It was a lot of fun. We were able to handle raids really well. We had one person take two colonists off on rescue missions while we maintained the primary base. It was exactly what one would want from a co-op Rimworld.

Great find, PilotMan!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm still in my first play through. So it's not on a hard setting at all. What modes do you guys play in?

I still have my original 3, and I think we're up to 12 or 13, but it's gotten very challenging to keep resources up to keep people mostly happy. We are in the middle of a multi year security and construction process. Everything has taken a back seat to it right now.

We went on a hidden loot quest and there was nothing on the map, anywhere. Which seemed odd, as it was only a few days after it was announced. Any idea what happened?

The last couple raids have really hammered us. We've been ramping up research and defense to prepare for future raids at this point. Steel on my map has been hard to come by, which has cost some development. I did just lose one of my best colonists though, my doctor, animal, miner, #4 shooter and it was friendly fire. That sucked. It was reckless on my part. Desperate.

To answer my own question about the hidden loot. I found that you have to bash a door down to get into a room somewhere in the map, where the loot is stashed. In case anyone else has that issue.

Like Steam?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Last night me and three friends of mine tried the first mod above where you all run a colony together. It was great! We ran the game with just that mod and no others and it ran very smoothly. It’s exactly what you would think. Everyone can do pretty much everything. It was a lot of fun. We were able to handle raids really well. We had one person take two colonists off on rescue missions while we maintained the primary base. It was exactly what one would want from a co-op Rimworld.

Great find, PilotMan!

Tried this out this weekend and it's a blast to play and works really smooth. It's a perfect addition to the game.

Like Steam?

Old 03-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
spleen1015
Coordinator

A DLC dropped for Rimworld last week. Damn this game man. Sucked me right back in.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

This is my next buy. Im a collector though, ore than a player. But this one really has my interest up.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
PilotMan
Head Coach

This game is truly amazing. It's fantastic and getting better all the time.

Like Steam?